Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pete Buttigieg’s an interesting candidate but shouldn’t be a f

Comments

• justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

Perhaps we are not yet into the official campaign period when those rules kick in.
    Seems reasonable, and it was a big story to cover. I find the hyperventilating about the Brexit Party launch to be a bit petty and I've yet to see a compelling justification for the outrage other than not wanting to see Farage. Which is a noble goal, but that seems to be what it is about more than anything else, which is just sad.
    News organisations know they'll get a response from Disgusted of Brighton Pavilion when they put Farage on the screen, so what do you do if you're your running a news organisation?
    I don't believe the broadcasters will have that discretion during the official campaign period - and that may explain why Farage launched his party yesterday before such rules kick in.
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

15% is impressive for the Brexit Party before they have even properly launched. They could well come top if they can get enough attention.

Perhaps Change UK should just have called themselves the Remain party. Then the comparison would be more meaningful.
    That would have been a good idea, as it's their major selling point.
    They are looking long term. Remain will be a completely irrelevant name by the end of the year one way or another
    Yes, but they don't stand for anything else.
    I saw a tweet of theirs asking for MEP candidates that share their values, and I can’t be the only one wondering what they are?
    A vanity project in search of a purpose.
    I’m sure they will be devastated not to have the support of diehard Leave acolytes.
    I see you can't actually point out where my statement is wrong.

And as for support they don't seem to be getting much of it from anywhere.

It seems a long time since PB was breathlessly speculating on how many more defections there would be to the splitters.
    I think that some Labour MP's were on the point of jumping ship, before Corbyn moved further towards backing a second referendum.
    That's possible.

But Corbyn appears more secure now than he did a few months ago and meanwhile the splitters have failed to explain what they are for, let alone how they could bring it about.

Ultimately they are fishing for votes in the same pond as Labour, LibDems and Greens and that's not easy in FPTP.
    Heidi's decision to out 7 possible Tory defectors wont have gone down well with them either
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Its amazing to see the rewriting of history...

"Julian Assange – freedom fighter extraordinaire, friend of Pamela Anderson and Vivienne Westwood, Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage, cat neglecter, anti -feminist, criminal mastermind, founder of Wikileaks"

Its like the lefts /luuvies massive support for never existed. All that is left is jezza, while all those others that hailed him as amaze-balls when he was exposing Bush / Iraq are being conveniently forgotten.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That swing to the government in Newport feels a long time ago

Hardly a swing to the government. Swing away from the big 2 more like.
    Swings as a concept only works in a 2 party context.
    Its relevant as long as LabCon are the only two serious contenders in most seats. A Newport result nationwide equals Tory majority (just) if the libs don't break through their low base.
    That now seems preposterous.
    Fair enough.
    Tory majority seems a distance away just now. Only slightly further than a Labour one though.
    The fundamental point of the OP is correct, however. The long extension has angered Tory leavers and opened up a potential window for remainers, Tories and otherwise. The electorate continues to polarise around Brexit further straining the fragile coalitions of both main parties.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

Scott_P said:

"Julian Assange – freedom fighter extraordinaire, friend of Pamela Anderson and Vivienne Westwood, Steve Bannon and Nigel Farage, cat neglecter, anti -feminist, criminal mastermind, founder of Wikileaks"

Its like the lefts /luuvies massive support for never existed.
    He became an unperson.

I note, that like Bobby Sands, he liked to decorate his flat with his own shit.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Quite possible we will see Tories polling higher in Scotland than the UK as a whole in polls over the summer

UK must be going to be very low then going by recent Scottish polls/results. 10.7% is rather low https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17569879.snp-win-by-election-as-remain-parties-advance/?ref=mr&lp=2
    Lol I meant national opinion polls.
    The bubble has burst for Roothie and her ragtag bunch of absolute losers who vote against Scotland's interests at all times. She has her parachute in place making sure she is top of all the losers lists, so she keeps her own job after she gets dumped in the real votes seats.
    I doubt if Leith is the Conservatives' best area in Scotland/
    I think the council ward is partially in Edinburgh Central.
    Didn't someone on here suggest the SCons would come second in the council by election?
    Wouldn't it be Inverleith which is partly in Davidson's constituency ?

By the looks of this it had the lowest Conservative vote in Edinburgh in 2017:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_City_of_Edinburgh_Council_election
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Its like the lefts /luuvies massive support for never existed.
    He became an unperson.

I note, that like Bobby Sands, he liked to decorate his flat with his own shit.
    I have a funny feeling if he hadnt assisted damaging clinton campaign, they wouldnt he claiming he is alt-right adjacent and that he is still a brilliant man.

When the truth is wikileaks damaged western governments of all political shades. Some might claim it was holding them to account, but our enemies have benefitted far more than us being shown evidence that our governments arent always whiter than white.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

15% is impressive for the Brexit Party before they have even properly launched. They could well come top if they can get enough attention.

Perhaps Change UK should just have called themselves the Remain party. Then the comparison would be more meaningful.
    They are looking long term. Remain will be a completely irrelevant name by the end of the year one way or another
    I saw a tweet of theirs asking for MEP candidates that share their values, and I can’t be the only one wondering what they are?
    I’m sure they will be devastated not to have the support of diehard Leave acolytes.

It seems a long time since PB was breathlessly speculating on how many more defections there would be to the splitters.
    I think that some Labour MP's were on the point of jumping ship, before Corbyn moved further towards backing a second referendum.
    That's possible.

But Corbyn appears more secure now than he did a few months ago and meanwhile the splitters have failed to explain what they are for, let alone how they could bring it about.

Ultimately they are fishing for votes in the same pond as Labour, LibDems and Greens and that's not easy in FPTP.
    Heidi's decision to out 7 possible Tory defectors wont have gone down well with them either
    It was hardly a case needing Sherlock to get out of bed, though, was it?
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

That's possible.

It was hardly a case needing Sherlock to get out of bed, though, was it?
    True say as the kids say
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited April 2019

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Quite possible we will see Tories polling higher in Scotland than the UK as a whole in polls over the summer

UK must be going to be very low then going by recent Scottish polls/results. 10.7% is rather low https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17569879.snp-win-by-election-as-remain-parties-advance/?ref=mr&lp=2
    The bubble has burst for Roothie and her ragtag bunch of absolute losers who vote against Scotland's interests at all times. She has her parachute in place making sure she is top of all the losers lists, so she keeps her own job after she gets dumped in the real votes seats.
    Didn't someone on here suggest the SCons would come second in the council by election?
    The Tories got 28.6% in Scotland at GE17 but only 27.2% in Edinburgh Leith.

Thus Ruth Davidson could become First Minister and the Scottish Tories win a majority of MPs at Westminster and MSPs at Holyrood and still lose Edinburgh Leith
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

Today's AQ audience very keen to remain.

You'd have to get yourself lost down the backstreets of Hartlepool before you'd find a skulk of Leavers. The zeitgeist has moved.
  • rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

You'd have to get yourself lost down the backstreets of Hartlepool before you'd find a skulk of Leavers. The zeitgeist has moved.
    R4's audiences are very upmarket.
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

That swing to the government in Newport feels a long time ago

Hardly a swing to the government. Swing away from the big 2 more like.
    Swings as a concept only works in a 2 party context.
    Its relevant as long as LabCon are the only two serious contenders in most seats. A Newport result nationwide equals Tory majority (just) if the libs don't break through their low base.
    That now seems preposterous.
    Fair enough.
    Tory majority seems a distance away just now. Only slightly further than a Labour one though.
    The fundamental point of the OP is correct, however. The long extension has angered Tory leavers and opened up a potential window for remainers, Tories and otherwise. The electorate continues to polarise around Brexit further straining the fragile coalitions of both main parties.
    Assuming for the moment that FPTP continues to be used, could the UK end up with two main political parties that are pro- and anti-EU? After all, the main difference between Ireland's two main political parties is that they were on opposite sides in a civil war 96-97 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,725
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

Sadly not sure about that. The local Leaver MP is banging on about it very hard.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    justin124 said:

Perhaps we are not yet into the official campaign period when those rules kick in.
    We are actually - started yesterday - and the only reason Farage got coverage was his party was the first to launch. As Ed Stourton observed on WATO, no doubt anticipating complaints "we'll cover other parties when they launch..."

But Farage being quick off the mark and media-savvy is the BBC's fault, obvs.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,725
    Things can only get better. For the rest of us, anyway!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,928

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

That's possible.

Heidi looks OK :)
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Doesn't that poll exclude don't knows?
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

We keep being told that the electorate is desperately crying out for a centrist party* and that as soon as one appears the voters will flock to them in droves. Actually standing for something would be counterproductive since most popular policies are either far left or far right of the centre.

*Who aren't the lib dems. They don't count. For some reason.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Doesn't that poll exclude don't knows?
    Fair point, could get even worse...
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

'Remain' has more logical long-term political meaning than 'Brexit'.
    The Anti Democratic League suits them best

Tried to overturn Corbyn's win
    Trying to overturn Brexit
    Refuse to stand in by Elections
    Preferring representative democracy to direct democracy is by no means anti democratic, indeed it is the form of democracy the UK had been using for a very long time.
    Stand in by elections then

Umunna said he would respect the result of the referendum and not campaign for a second one though
    I dont remember the exact numbers but it is something like only 4 of the last 60 MPs to change parties have called a by-election. So the tradition in our system is they don't need to.

Personally I prefer electing a person with individual thoughts than someone who can only follow party orders. I think parliament would work far better if we let individual MPs have a bit more freedom to express themselves, without accusing them of being liars, traitors, not pure enough, disloyal etc.

Chuka Umunna today urged Remain campaigners to abandon calls for a second referendum or risk being seen as a metropolitan elite “who think they know best”.

"I really have no time for calls for a second referendum because I think it comes across as disrespectful to those who voted to leave,” he said.

“Those calls reinforce what I feel is a false stereotype — of a bunch of people in London who think they know best.”"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/chuka-umunna-remain-campaigners-must-drop-calls-for-new-brexit-vote-a3410601.html
    Article dated Dec 2016. I think he has revised his opinion in the last 2 and a half years, as indeed have I!
    Fair enough to change your mind.
    Less fair to accuse those who hold a different view, indeed a view he used to hold, as betraying working people.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

Scott_P said:

Its like the lefts /luuvies massive support for never existed. All that is left is jezza, while all those others that hailed him as amaze-balls when he was exposing Bush / Iraq are being conveniently forgotten.
    The left loved Wikileaks and Assange when they were outing the activities of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. When they moved onto Clinton and the Democrats who had also been in power for several years they weren't so keen. Can't imagine what changed?
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    The left loved Wikileaks and Assange when they were outing the activities of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld. When they moved onto Clinton and the Democrats who had also been in power for several years they weren't so keen. Can't imagine what changed?
    He was accused of rape and skipped bail. A showed himself to be a thoroughly untrustworthy individual.
  • StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:

The left aren't typically big fans of Hiliary.
    PClipp said:

brendan16 said:

Scott_P said:
    He was accused of rape and skipped bail. A showed himself to be a thoroughly untrustworthy individual.
    Yes - of course that was the reason for the change of heart! Had he stuck to attacking Republicans/the right of course people would have dismissed those accusations as a set up to discredit him.

He may not be a particularly pleasant individual but it just exposes a certain double standards - you can only see wrong in your opponents and your own side/party/view can do no wrong.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    And it'll only get worse from here and the Brexit Party takes off...

Well done Theresa. :D
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,756
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Tories got 28.6% in Scotland at GE17 but only 27.2% in Edinburgh Leith.

Thus Ruth Davidson could become First Minister and the Scottish Tories win a majority of MPs at Westminster and MSPs at Holyrood and still lose Edinburgh Leith
    But we were told that the SCons are the only party that could beat the SNP here. 10.7% and 4th isn't gonnae do that.

https://twitter.com/DavidRHHill/status/1116255261964914688

• nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Cameron has a lot to answer for .

From the London Olympics which showed the best of Britain to now with horrible divisions and hate filled rhetoric being spewed out on a daily basis by the hate peddlers enabled by the ghastly referendum .

Does he for one minute look at himself and wonder whether he did the right thing .
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,548

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Artist said:

That's possible.

Heidi looks OK :)
    I also once made her laugh in the local Morrisons.

It's a small claim to fame. :)

(Mrs J also commented that Allen has a lovely smile.)
    Whilst Brexit itself is a crock of shit, the party of the name has got off to a good start compared to its remain counterpart.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1117057339734089728
    edited April 2019
    I am not really sure why anyone would waste their vote on the Conservatives on 23 May - people may like their local Tory councillor but who much cares about their regional list MEP?

I note the poll was concluded on Thursday - before yesterday's launch of the Brexit party - and Farage's party still got 15%. How the UKIP/Brexit party split works through of course - given their combined score on that poll of nearly 30% (the same voted share oddly UKIP got in 2014) - will probably decide whether one of them or Labour tops the poll. At the moment it suggests Labour should do so.

The Greens, ChuK and Lib Dems all hover around 6-8% - which is on the borders of winning one or two MEPs or none at all. There is a risk they will split the non Labour remain vote and end up with a handful of MEPs - although the big London and south east regions will help their cause.

The one empowering thing about the EU elections is that every vote counts equally and bar possibly the tiny North east region - there are no safe seats. So people can vote with their hearts for who they really want - whether its Green or UKIP - rather than for who they consider least worst out of Tory and Labour
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Whilst Brexit itself is a crock of shit, the party of the name has got off to a good start compared to its remain counterpart.

You could say they were CUKed.

I'll get my coat.
    RobD said:

I'll get my coat.
    I laughed.

Sorry I hadn't realised iSam had already posted this.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Sorry I hadn't realised iSam had already posted this.
    You are hereby banished to ConHome for this most heinous crime.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

On the subject of Hartlepool:

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1116587583796998144?s=19
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019
    brendan16 said:

I note the poll was concluded on Thursday - before yesterday's launch of the Brexit party - and Farage's party still got 15%. How the UKIP/Brexit party split works through of course - given their combined score on that poll of nearly 30% (the same voted share oddly UKIP got in 2014) - will probably decide whether one of them or Labour tops the poll. At the moment it suggests Labour should do so.
    It will be interesting how well the Labour vote holds up. The longer they're in the lead I suspect the more internal conflict will escalate with remainiacs complaining the party isn't remain enough.

Yeah, that true. Nigel is past master at rabble rousing and the media. Organisationally he is an egotistical diaster, but can probably hold it together for 6 weeks.

I think CHUK jumped too soon.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,237

viewcode said:

This year’s rugby world cup is going to be won by the side with the fewest homophobic players isn’t it?

Billy Vunipola is facing potential disciplinary action from the Rugby Football Union and Saracens after supporting Israel Folau’s controversial anti-gay comments by claiming “man was made for woman”.

The RFU will summon Vunipola to question him over a social media post made in which he defends Folau, who is facing the sack by Rugby Australia for his claims that “hell awaits” gay people. Saracens have stated they will deal with the “very serious matter” internally.

Compounding the RFU’s headache, the No 8’s post was liked by fellow England internationals Manu Tuilagi, Nathan Hughes, Nick Isiekwe and Courtney Lawes, who replied with his own message defending Vunipola’s decision to offer his opinion. It remains to be seen whether they and other Premiership players, including his childhood friend and Wales No 8 Taulupe Faletau, who also “liked” the post, will face further action.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/12/rfu-will-speak-to-billy-vunipola-social-media-israel-folau-england-saracens

I am not sure I would want to get on the wrong side of the Tuilagi family....

In addition to Manu, there is his brothers, Alesana Tuilagi, Henry Tuilagi, Freddie Tuilagi, Sanele Vavae Tuilagi.
    I wonder what are the statistical chances of at least one of them being gay?
    In my experience the biggest homophobes turn out to be gay.
    Science too:

Put simply; it looks likely that a closeted gay man is more likely to be anti-gay. Surprising very few people.

According to the 2012 study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, there are higher levels of homophobia in those who have unacknowledged feelings of attraction towards the same sex.

These levels were exacerbated when the parents of the individuals also held homophobic attitudes.

https://www.indy100.com/article/homophobia-gay-homosexual-closet-science-self-loathing-study-data-50-years-decriminalisation-7788016
    "Unacknowleged same-sex attraction increasing the probability of homophobia" is not the same as saying "homophobia implies unacknowleged same-sex attraction". "

Even if we know that A increases B, then we cannot necessarily conclude that the presence of B implies a presence of A. Other things may increase B and they may be present instead.
    Overcompensating?
    I don't know. I was addressing the logic problem with confusing "A increases B" with "B implies A"
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    brendan16 said:

I am not really sure why anyone would waste their vote on the Conservatives on 23 May - people may like their local Tory councillor but who much cares about their regional list MEP?

The Greens, ChuK and Lib Dems all hover around 6-8% - which is on the borders of winning one or two MEPs or none at all. There is a risk they will split the non Labour remain vote and end up with a handful of MEPs - although the big London and south east regions will help their cause.

The one empowering thing about the EU elections is that every vote counts equally and bar possibly the tiny North east region - there are no safe seats. So people can vote with their hearts for who they really want - whether its Green or UKIP - rather than for who they consider least worst out of Tory and Labour
    I’m not sure any of the existing Conservative MEPs (with the possible exception of Dan Hannan, #1 in the huge 11-seat South East region) feel secure at all. This is going to be the mother of all protest votes for the failure to deliver the exit from the EU.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    CROSSSOOOOOVVVVVEEEERRRRR

LAB: 32% (+1)
    CON: 28% (-4)
    LDM: 11% (-1)
    BXP: 8% (+3)
    UKIP: 6% (-1)
    CHUK: 3% (New)

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

Yeah, that true. Nigel is past master at rabble rousing and the media. Organisationally he is an egotistical diaster, but can probably hold it together for 6 weeks.

I think CHUK jumped too soon.
    The major parties need to be vigilant to the extent of making the broadcasters aware of legal consequences should the Remain Party - and ChangeUK - be given greater exposure than justified by its non existent track record.
    Ukranian ambassadors vehicle rammed outside the embassy, shots fired by police, arrest made
    Brilliant canvassing session this morning.

Things have shifted in last 2 weeks since same streets were canvassed

Not sure why.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,237
    isam said:
    Too high or too low? :)

It's really weird. A set of elections using PR(ish for NI) at a time of great uncertainty with old parties in disrepute. How the pollsters are going to cope with this is interesting: what would you use for a turnout model? I'd devote time to it but I'm snowed. I might have to retreat to platitudes like "it will be surprising" and saying things like "hmmm"... :(
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Ukranian ambassadors vehicle rammed outside the embassy, shots fired by police, arrest made

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1117071840105639936
    edited April 2019

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

Very poor GE poll for Chuk there - I doubt Allen personally outing Tory MPs today as potential defectors will help their cause much either. The list was rather obvious anyway - remain MPs who didn't back May's deal bar Grieve and Clarke.

Also quite an interesting split on the you gov EU election poll between 2016 remain and leave voters. UKIP/Brexit party combined poll 58% with the latter but only 4% of the former. Labour win 37% of remainers but only 11% of leavers with the Tories polling 15 and 18% respectively. The LDs win 14% of remainers but only 2% of 2016 leavers.

Even though this election doesn't really matter in terms of what most MEPs achieve it will be quite fascinating - and its quite important to the viability of Chuk, UKIP and the BP and to some extent the Greens as it gets you a lot of funding from Brussels.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

LAB-S&D: 37%
    CON-ECR: 15%
    LDEM-ALDE: 14%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 12%
    ChUK-*: 10%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 7%
    BREXIT-EFDD: 2%
    UKIP-ENF: 2%

European Election

2016 leave voters only

BREXIT-EFDD: 31%
    UKIP-ENF: 27%
    CON-ECR: 18%
    LAB-S&D: 11%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 4%
    ChUK-*: 3%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 3%
    LDEM-ALDE: 2%
    First Labour lead with YouGov since July 2018.

Thanks Nigel

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1117071840105639936
    :open_mouth:

Thanks Nigel

Any chance of the government calling a GE with Mrs May still PM just went up in smoke.
    nico67 said:

Cameron has a lot to answer for .

From the London Olympics which showed the best of Britain to now with horrible divisions and hate filled rhetoric being spewed out on a daily basis by the hate peddlers enabled by the ghastly referendum .

Does he for one minute look at himself and wonder whether he did the right thing .

if it wasn't the referendum, it would be something else, as we can see from the politics of other Western countries. Growth per head since 2000 has been well below what people were used to in the 50 years before that. Some countries have seen almost no growth per head since then. The result is unhappy electorates.
    edited April 2019
    Tory MP for Stroud till 2017 neil Carmichael has Tiggered

In and of itself no big deal but he has written a piece in the Indy about it
    isam said:
    The majority of bets so far have been by Nigel Farage?

Thanks Nigel

One side effect of the Brexit Party is that the Tory vote is becoming more pro-Remain than it was.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,732
    viewcode said:

isam said:

It's really weird. A set of elections using PR(ish for NI) at a time of great uncertainty with old parties in disrepute. How the pollsters are going to cope with this is interesting: what would you use for a turnout model? I'd devote time to it but I'm snowed. I might have to retreat to platitudes like "it will be surprising" and saying things like "hmmm"... :(
    I was surprised they were so short, because UKIP will surely take so many votes from them? And how will votes transfer to seats etc... I’d like to see betting on most votes
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

I was surprised they were so short, because UKIP will surely take so many votes from them? And how will votes transfer to seats etc... I’d like to see betting on most votes
    If anything, I think they'll take votes from UKIP.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Will the Brexit party get any MP defections? You’d have thought that would be an obvious ambition for them and apparently achievable.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Afternoon all :)

Astonishing to see the duopoly at just 60% in the morning's poll but Baxter still has them winning 550+ seats between them with both the SNP and LDs making headway from the crumbs . I suspect it wouldn't be like that in reality but I'd love to test that theory.

Fortunately for the Conservatives, I suspect, the weakness of their opponents in being able to put up candidates may prevent a disaster becoming a catastrophe in local election terms. Nonetheless, there will be losses but I'll leave that to expectation management.

On the wider, along with many others I simply don't see what the extension to 31/10 will achieve. The EU have made it clear the WA won't be changed so how does it clear the Commons? Answer it doesn't so the clock will tick down.

I do wonder what the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester will be like. I suspect after poor local election and disastrous Euro election results the mood may be a tad febrile. Will it become a rally for No Deal and will that be the point when May is finally forced out by her own Cabinet or will the Conference dissolve into acrimony?
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Thanks Nigel

One side effect of the Brexit Party is that the Tory vote is becoming more pro-Remain than it was.
    True. But still only about 2%

Joining the party and canvassing would show you how much of a minority you’re in...
    stodge said:

Astonishing to see the duopoly at just 60% in the morning's poll but Baxter still has them winning 550+ seats between them with both the SNP and LDs making headway from the crumbs . I suspect it wouldn't be like that in reality but I'd love to test that theory.

Fortunately for the Conservatives, I suspect, the weakness of their opponents in being able to put up candidates may prevent a disaster becoming a catastrophe in local election terms. Nonetheless, there will be losses but I'll leave that to expectation management.

On the wider, along with many others I simply don't see what the extension to 31/10 will achieve. The EU have made it clear the WA won't be changed so how does it clear the Commons? Answer it doesn't so the clock will tick down.

I do wonder what the Conservative Party Conference in Manchester will be like. I suspect after poor local election and disastrous Euro election results the mood may be a tad febrile. Will it become a rally for No Deal and will that be the point when May is finally forced out by her own Cabinet or will the Conference dissolve into acrimony?

I think there is a narrow majority for WA plus CU in the Commons which would also get us to the 2 year transition period to reconsider or not the future relationship.

If that is what happens I think Boris or Raab would replace May by the end of the year to regain voters who have defected to the Brexit Party and UKIP
    Mortimer said:

Thanks Nigel

Joining the party and canvassing would show you how much of a minority you’re in...
    Whenever I've been to Tory party events I've found no shortage of like-minded people.
    stodge said:

The high combined Tory & Lab % at the 2017 GE was down to people thinking they had accepted the referendum vote and were going to implement it. Now that they seem incapable or unwilling to do so, we must expect a huge drop in support for both of them next time.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    RobD said:

I'll get my coat.
    I'm honestly not sure what demonstrates the greater lack of self-awreness, naming your party "CUK" or naming it "Change" when what you actually stand for is the exact opposite of that.

Perhaps they wanted to call themselves Status Quo but Francis Rossi had a word in their ear first...
    brendan16 said:

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

Very poor GE poll for Chuk there - I doubt Allen personally outing Tory MPs today as potential defectors will help their cause much either. The list was rather obvious anyway - remain MPs who didn't back May's deal bar Grieve and Clarke.

Also quite an interesting split on the you gov EU election poll between 2016 remain and leave voters. UKIP/Brexit party combined poll 58% with the latter but only 4% of the former. Labour win 37% of remainers but only 11% of leavers with the Tories polling 15 and 18% respectively. The LDs win 14% of remainers but only 2% of 2016 leavers.

Even though this election doesn't really matter in terms of what most MEPs achieve it will be quite fascinating - and its quite important to the viability of Chuk, UKIP and the BP and to some extent the Greens as it gets you a lot of funding from Brussels.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

LAB-S&D: 37%
    CON-ECR: 15%
    LDEM-ALDE: 14%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 12%
    ChUK-*: 10%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 7%
    BREXIT-EFDD: 2%
    UKIP-ENF: 2%

European Election

2016 leave voters only

BREXIT-EFDD: 31%
    UKIP-ENF: 27%
    CON-ECR: 18%
    LAB-S&D: 11%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 4%
    ChUK-*: 3%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 3%
    LDEM-ALDE: 2%
    Interesting the Tories now have the closest balance between Leavers and Remainers on the Euro elections poll, with Tory Leave voters now only 3% more than Tory Remain voters thanks to defections to the Brexit Party and UKIP
    isam said:

The high combined Tory & Lab % at the 2017 GE was down to people thinking they had accepted the referendum vote and were going to implement it. Now that they seem incapable or unwilling to do so, we must expect a huge drop in support for both of them next time.

Oddly enough, it`s reminiscent of the Feb 74 election where the CON/LAB share fell from 89.5% to 75% but this is currently an order of magnitude greater going from 82% to 60%. The only thing working for the duopoly is the fall is being widely shared with a number of parties gaining a little whereas if one party were gaining a lot it would be much more serious.

While the LD vote has a degree of concentration, we don't know how the Brexit Party vote will line up (though we can make an educated guess). It's quite possible the Conservatives will end up between the pro-REMAIN hammer (Lab, LD, CUK) and the pro-LEAVE anvil (Brexit, UKIP) having achieved the noteworthy distinction of irritating everybody on both sides.

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846

Mortimer said:

Thanks Nigel

Whenever I've been to Tory party events I've found no shortage of like-minded people.
    I am not sure ex pat fund raisers in Brussels are particularly representative
    HYUFD said:

I think there is a narrow majority for WA plus CU in the Commons which would also get us to the 2 year transition period to reconsider or not the future relationship.

If that is what happens I think Boris or Raab would replace May by the end of the year to regain voters who have defected to the Brexit Party and UKIP

You`ve been peddling this along with the "LDs will support Corbyn" nonsense. Is there the slightest indication those currently opposed to the WA will change their vote IF the PD shifts to a full CU with the EU? IN any case, what`s to say a future Conservative Prime Minister might not renege on the deal?

Given the internal tensions in BOTH main parties, I`m far from convinced there`s this majority of which you speak and we will unfortunately stay in our cul-de-sac (to use a good French expression) until 31/10.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    As much as 16%? I'm surprised.
    isam said:
    It's interesting seeing left-leaning journalists in general (not this one specifically) talking up Farage and his new party as a way of trying to reduce support for UKIP and Gerard Batten.
    I see another rally peddling more hate and division .

Farage is overjoyed at the EU extension and never wants to leave the EU because he then just becomes irrelevant .

edited April 2019
    AndyJS said:

isam said:
    It's interesting seeing left-leaning journalists in general (not this one specifically) talking up Farage and his new party as a way of trying to reduce support for UKIP and Gerard Batten.
    I met Batten once at a UKIP drink in London, and he was quite a nice guy. I think his wife is Asian, so it would be hard to brand him a racist.
    edited April 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You`ve been peddling this along with the "LDs will support Corbyn" nonsense. Is there the slightest indication those currently opposed to the WA will change their vote IF the PD shifts to a full CU with the EU? IN any case, what`s to say a future Conservative Prime Minister might not renege on the deal?

Given the internal tensions in BOTH main parties, I`m far from convinced there`s this majority of which you speak and we will unfortunately stay in our cul-de-sac (to use a good French expression) until 31/10.
    The CU lost by just 3 votes in the indicative votes, far closer than EUref2, revoke Art 50, No Deal or May's current Deal were to a majority in the Commons. So yes I think if a CU is added to the PD the WA may well then pass.

Of course a future Tory PM might try and change the future relationship to remove the CU (though passage of the WA will have made the backstop for NI binding) just as a future Labour PM might try and rejoin the EU or add the SM to the PD too but that would be largely irrelevant in the short term as passage of the WA takes us to the transition period for 2 further years in which time we stay in the CU and SM anyway while we sort out the future relationship.

nico67 said:

Farage is overjoyed at the EU extension and never wants to leave the EU because he then just becomes irrelevant .

As you alluded to earlier, a soft Brexit gives him exactly the same platform, so to defeat this the only real options are going through the pain of a No Deal Brexit to discredit it (which still might not work), or remaining in the EU and trying to win the political argument.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Watched much of the Rome ePrix. Quite entertaining.

Pre-race ramble for China should be up in an hour or so. Hopefully.
    nico67 said:

Personally I would suggest it is the Revokers who are peddling hate and division.

nico67 said:

As you alluded to earlier, a soft Brexit gives him exactly the same platform, so to defeat this the only real options are going through the pain of a No Deal Brexit to discredit it (which still might not work), or remaining in the EU and trying to win the political argument.
    No matter what deal May did the screams of betrayal would happen . Because fermenting this keeps big mouth going .

UKIP no longer pretend to be anything other than a hate mob . The Brexit Party are now pretending to be the respectable face of Leave but are just more subtle with the hate .
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

No matter what deal May did the screams of betrayal would happen . Because fermenting this keeps big mouth going .

UKIP no longer pretend to be anything other than a hate mob . The Brexit Party are now pretending to be the respectable face of Leave but are just more subtle with the hate .
    You do have a truly warped mind to associate leaving a political institution with hate.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited April 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You`ve been peddling this along with the "LDs will support Corbyn" nonsense.
    And you keep calling that nonsense without explaining what the LDs would do in a situtaion where they held the balance of power. Unless you think them incredibly reckless and dumb they'd back someone, however lightly, so who would it be? The way you get so angry at the suggestion without ever offering an answer to what they might do might suggest you don't think it as much nonsense as you pretend it is.

I cannot see why they would want to support Corbyn, but if it was Corbyn or the other side? No doubt you will throw your toys out of the pram at the question, decrying being presented with a false choice as if you've never encountered a hypothetical scenario before. But bottom line, if the LDs had to pick one or the other or no one, I think no options look palatable, but they'd pick one, so it isn't nonsense to suggest one, no matter how much you whinge like a baby when someone suggests one is more likely than the other.

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

You do have a truly warped mind to associate leaving a political institution with hate.
    Your capacity to look the other way when you think things are going your way is boundless.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,044

nico67 said:

Farage now saying it is about far more than Brexit. It is about changing politics. Pure Steve Bannon stuff.

Many of us on PB have been warning for a long time that a ultra English Nationalist Populist party would emerge and here we are. Direct democracy, people's voice, throw out the elite etc etc.

There's no way of getting rid of this now unless it is roundly flattened at the ballot box asap.

Can't see that happening.

nico67 said:

Personally I would suggest it is the Revokers who are peddling hate and division.
    Revoke only became more mainstream because of the no deal fantasists. Vote Leave promised an orderly exit with a deal . We keep being told what Leavers voted for but the fact is a deal was promised. Farage and others are no rewriting history by peddling no deal as the only acceptable form of Brexit . This is polarizing the Remain side.
    AndyJS said:

isam said:
    Do you honestly think that is how journalists think?

I mean real ones, not ex-aides who are commentators.

Journos are driven by press deadlines, getting a killer quote, breaking a story.
    AndyJS said:

No chance.
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:
    I met Batten once at a UKIP drink in London, and he was quite a nice guy. I think his wife is Asian, so it would be hard to brand him a racist.
    Has he split up with his white supremacist girlfriend then?

https://twitter.com/Moosedog23/status/954055326638198784?s=19
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The CU lost by just 3 votes in the indicative votes, far closer than EUref2, revoke Art 50, No Deal or May's current Deal were to a majority in the Commons. So yes I think if a CU is added to the PD the WA may well then pass.

Of course a future Tory PM might try and change the future relationship to remove the CU (though passage of the WA will have made the backstop for NI binding) just as a future Labour PM might try and rejoin the EU or add the SM to the PD too but that would be largely irrelevant in the short term as passage of the WA takes us to the transition period for 2 further years in which time we stay in the CU and SM anyway while we sort out the future relationship.

There was confusion on that CU vote that lost by 3. The LDs split three ways on it! Many MPs who voted for the CU had not considered that a future Tory PM could just rip it up. They know that now so probably won't vote for the CU again without a binding commitment for a referendum which would lose votes from many Tory supporters of the CU.

The only safe solution is to take the matter out of the hands of the Tories who are totally unsafe.

I predict a VNOC in the government after Easter, which succeeds, followed by a GE with minority Labour government elected on a CU deal plus referendum, with C&S support from SNP and LDs who will keep Labour honest. Referendum in October followed by revoke. End of UK nervous breakdown. Phew.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,968

nico67 said:

Farage now saying it is about far more than Brexit. It is about changing politics. Pure Steve Bannon stuff.

Many of us on PB have been warning for a long time that a ultra English Nationalist Populist party would emerge and here we are. Direct democracy, people's voice, throw out the elite etc etc.

There's no way of getting rid of this now unless it is roundly flattened at the ballot box asap.

Approve May's Deal and Farage is busted.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,462

Will the Brexit party get any MP defections? You’d have thought that would be an obvious ambition for them and apparently achievable.

If they could get at least one of Boris/Rees-Mogg the 18 on any other for most seats in the next general election would be looking very big.
    Foxy said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:
    Has he split up with his white supremacist girlfriend then?

https://twitter.com/Moosedog23/status/954055326638198784?s=19
    That's not Gerard Batten

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

The way Leave campaigners jumped on immigration and Farages contribution is peddling hate and division . There may have been some laudable reasons to Leave but let’s not kid ourselves that Leave won because of that . The desperate attempt to legitimize a result delivered on a divisive message is frankly laughable .

nico67 said:

It needs a mainstream party to come up with a BIG constitutional idea to change the narrative.
    That Cameron strategy to have a referendum to stop splintering of the Tory party in full:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1117069329781219329

nico67 said:

It needs a mainstream party to come up with a BIG constitutional idea to change the narrative.
    Why not just accept the narrative of honouring the result of the referendum being the right thing to do? Not doing it is what will cost them
    edited April 2019

AndyJS said:

No chance.
    Do you think they might go below 16%? It wasn't exactly helpful for Hammond to say the Euro election would be a pointless exercise. Why should Tory campaigners get off their backsides to deliver leaflets with the Chancellor saying that sort of thing.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

That Cameron strategy to have a referendum to stop splintering of the Tory party in full:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1117069329781219329

I get this line from Leavers every time I go out canvassing.

Those Tory MPs blocking the passing of the deal (Leavers and Remainers) are endangering the future of the vehicle that wins them their jobs.
This discussion has been closed.