Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Pete Buttigieg’s an interesting candidate but shouldn’t be a f

1235»

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    kle4 said:

And you keep calling that nonsense without explaining what the LDs would do in a situtaion where they held the balance of power. Unless you think them incredibly reckless and dumb they'd back someone, however lightly, so who would it be? The way you get so angry at the suggestion without ever offering an answer to what they might do might suggest you don't think it as much nonsense as you pretend it is.

I cannot see why they would want to support Corbyn, but if it was Corbyn or the other side? No doubt you will throw your toys out of the pram at the question, decrying being presented with a false choice as if you've never encountered a hypothetical scenario before. But bottom line, if the LDs had to pick one or the other or no one, I think no options look palatable, but they'd pick one, so it isn't nonsense to suggest one, no matter how much you whinge like a baby when someone suggests one is more likely than the other.

HYUFD peddles the line because it's a weapon the Conservatives will try to use - vote Lib Dem, get Corbyn - and there's no need for you to get on your high horse with your cheap jibes and insults. If you don't understand how politics works, don't waste your time here. Go and do some research and come back when you understand how the bear pit works.

I'm only a Party member but I don't detect any enthusiasm for dealing with either Corbyn or May currently. Assuming we will have to assumes a lot of things about parliamentary arithmetic after the next GE which aren't worth contemplating at this time though if the nosedive of the duopoly continues we may have to.

The LD aim will be first and foremost to maximise LD seats and votes. IF the Parliamentary arithmetic puts the party in a position to hold the balance of power, I'd like to think after the Coalition experience we will nail both other parties to the wall with some serious nails.

In other words, if they want our support, the price is going to be very heavy. How about STV for all future elections without a referendum? That works for me. Once that's in the bag we can talk about other things. I voted LEAVE so I'm not really bothered about a commitment to rejoin the EU but I imagine that may be on the table as well.

You might also want to ask what the price of the SNP's support might be or that of the Brexit party. We've all seen how coalition politics operates and we've all learned the same lesson - get your demands in and make them stick.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:
    It's interesting seeing left-leaning journalists in general (not this one specifically) talking up Farage and his new party as a way of trying to reduce support for UKIP and Gerard Batten.
    I met Batten once at a UKIP drink in London, and he was quite a nice guy. I think his wife is Asian, so it would be hard to brand him a racist.
    Has he split up with his white supremacist girlfriend then?

https://twitter.com/Moosedog23/status/954055326638198784?s=19
    That's not Gerard Batten
    Sorry, that is Bolton, but in my defence UKIP does get through leaders at a rate that is hard to keep up with!

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I think there is a narrow majority for WA plus CU in the Commons which would also get us to the 2 year transition period to reconsider or not the future relationship.

If that is what happens I think Boris or Raab would replace May by the end of the year to regain voters who have defected to the Brexit Party and UKIP

You`ve been peddling this along with the "LDs will support Corbyn" nonsense. Is there the slightest indication those currently opposed to the WA will change their vote IF the PD shifts to a full CU with the EU? IN any case, what`s to say a future Conservative Prime Minister might not renege on the deal?

Given the internal tensions in BOTH main parties, I`m far from convinced there`s this majority of which you speak and we will unfortunately stay in our cul-de-sac (to use a good French expression) until 31/10.
    The CU lost by just 3 votes in the indicative votes, far closer than EUref2, revoke Art 50, No Deal or May's current Deal were to a majority in the Commons. So yes I think if a CU is added to the PD the WA may well then pass.

Of course a future Tory PM might try and change the future relationship to remove the CU (though passage of the WA will have made the backstop for NI binding) just as a future Labour PM might try and rejoin the EU or add the SM to the PD too but that would be largely irrelevant in the short term as passage of the WA takes us to the transition period for 2 further years in which time we stay in the CU and SM anyway while we sort out the future relationship.

There was confusion on that CU vote that lost by 3. The LDs split three ways on it! Many MPs who voted for the CU had not considered that a future Tory PM could just rip it up. They know that now so probably won't vote for the CU again without a binding commitment for a referendum which would lose votes from many Tory supporters of the CU.

The only safe solution is to take the matter out of the hands of the Tories who are totally unsafe.

I predict a VNOC in the government after Easter, which succeeds, followed by a GE with minority Labour government elected on a CU deal plus referendum, with C&S support from SNP and LDs who will keep Labour honest. Referendum in October followed by revoke. End of UK nervous breakdown. Phew.
    You predict or you hope?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I see another rally peddling more hate and division .

Farage is overjoyed at the EU extension and never wants to leave the EU because he then just becomes irrelevant .

As you alluded to earlier, a soft Brexit gives him exactly the same platform, so to defeat this the only real options are going through the pain of a No Deal Brexit to discredit it (which still might not work), or remaining in the EU and trying to win the political argument.
    No matter what deal May did the screams of betrayal would happen . Because fermenting this keeps big mouth going .

UKIP no longer pretend to be anything other than a hate mob . The Brexit Party are now pretending to be the respectable face of Leave but are just more subtle with the hate .
    You do have a truly warped mind to associate leaving a political institution with hate.
    The way Leave campaigners jumped on immigration and Farages contribution is peddling hate and division . There may have been some laudable reasons to Leave but let’s not kid ourselves that Leave won because of that . The desperate attempt to legitimize a result delivered on a divisive message is frankly laughable .
    Fear not, I'm sure just as with the EU referendum Farage can achieve his aims without a single bullet being fired. He just has to be persuaded not to don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

As much as 16%? I'm surprised.
    No chance.
    Do you think they might go below 16%? It wasn't exactly helpful for Hammond to say the Euro election would be a pointless exercise. Why should Tory campaigners get off their backsides to deliver leaflets with the Chancellor saying that sort of thing.
    Feels like they are going to get pounded to be honest. Many Tories will sit it out rather than be disloyal, leaving a significant % who are so angry they vote Brexit Party.

At least for council elections there is the argument that you are electing a local person to deal with the bins not Brexit.

EU elections are a free hit.

And frankly it is a looming and avoidable disaster which will make Farage even more of household name than is already.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056

That Cameron strategy to have a referendum to stop splintering of the Tory party in full:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1117069329781219329

When people say they have " lost count of ... " it usually means the number is too small to be in any way impressive.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    isam said:

nico67 said:

Farage is overjoyed at the EU extension and never wants to leave the EU because he then just becomes irrelevant .

As you alluded to earlier, a soft Brexit gives him exactly the same platform, so to defeat this the only real options are going through the pain of a No Deal Brexit to discredit it (which still might not work), or remaining in the EU and trying to win the political argument.
    Farage now saying it is about far more than Brexit. It is about changing politics. Pure Steve Bannon stuff.

Many of us on PB have been warning for a long time that a ultra English Nationalist Populist party would emerge and here we are. Direct democracy, people's voice, throw out the elite etc etc.

There's no way of getting rid of this now unless it is roundly flattened at the ballot box asap.

Can't see that happening.
    It needs a mainstream party to come up with a BIG constitutional idea to change the narrative.
    Why not just accept the narrative of honouring the result of the referendum being the right thing to do? Not doing it is what will cost them
    Indeed.

The right thing to do also secures the future of our political system.

That MPs don’t realise how much damage they’re doing to the institutions they depend upon for a job is staggering.
  • Options
    isam said:

nico67 said:

Farage now saying it is about far more than Brexit. It is about changing politics. Pure Steve Bannon stuff.

Many of us on PB have been warning for a long time that a ultra English Nationalist Populist party would emerge and here we are. Direct democracy, people's voice, throw out the elite etc etc.

There's no way of getting rid of this now unless it is roundly flattened at the ballot box asap.

It needs a mainstream party to come up with a BIG constitutional idea to change the narrative.
    Why not just accept the narrative of honouring the result of the referendum being the right thing to do? Not doing it is what will cost them
    Answers on a postcard to the ERG twats please.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited April 2019

nico67 said:

Corbyn's got the Marxist baroness on the federalism case...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited April 2019
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I think there is a narrow majority for WA plus CU in the Commons which would also get us to the 2 year transition period to reconsider or not the future relationship.

If that is what happens I think Boris or Raab would replace May by the end of the year to regain voters who have defected to the Brexit Party and UKIP

You`ve been peddling this along with the "LDs will support Corbyn" nonsense. Is there the slightest indication those currently opposed to the WA will change their vote IF the PD shifts to a full CU with the EU? IN any case, what`s to say a future Conservative Prime Minister might not renege on the deal?

Given the internal tensions in BOTH main parties, I`m far from convinced there`s this majority of which you speak and we will unfortunately stay in our cul-de-sac (to use a good French expression) until 31/10.
    The CU lost by just 3 votes in the indicative votes, far closer than EUref2, revoke Art 50, No Deal or May's current Deal wwe stay in the CU and SM anyway while we sort out the future relationship.

There was confusion on that CU vote that lost by 3. The LDs split three ways on it! Many MPs who voted for the CU had not considered that a future Tory PM could just rip it up. They know that now so probably won't vote for the CU again without a binding commitment for a referendum which would lose votes from many Tory supporters of the CU.

The only safe solution is to take the matter out of the hands of the Tories who are totally unsafe.

I predict a VNOC in the government after Easter, which succeeds, followed by a GE with minority Labour government elected on a CU deal plus referendum, with C&S support from SNP and LDs who will keep Labour honest. Referendum in October followed by revoke. End of UK nervous breakdown. Phew.
    No, for starters there are lots of Labour MPs from Leave seats who would vote for a CU but would not vote for revoke or EUref2 so the idea a Labour PM makes much difference is absurd.

Given a minority Labour Government would be tied by the SNP and LDs who would try and push EUref2 or SM and CU (including free movement) both of which Labour MPs from Leave seats like Snell and Flint etc would vote down the idea that a minority Labour government would somehow have any huge mandate for a new Deal is also ridiculous. Plus even if there was a referendum on present polling I would not count on Remain winning it at all
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

And you keep calling that nonsense without explaining what the LDs would do in a situtaion where they held the balance of power. Unless you think them incredibly reckless and dumb they'd back someone, however lightly, so who would it be? The way you get so angry at the suggestion without ever offering an answer to what they might do might suggest you don't think it as much nonsense as you pretend it is.

I cannot see why they would want to support Corbyn, but if it was Corbyn or the other side? No doubt you will throw your toys out of the pram at the question, decrying being presented with a false choice as if you've never encountered a hypothetical scenario before. But bottom line, if the LDs had to pick one or the other or no one, I think no options look palatable, but they'd pick one, so it isn't nonsense to suggest one, no matter how much you whinge like a baby when someone suggests one is more likely than the other.

HYUFD peddles the line because it's a weapon the Conservatives will try to use - vote Lib Dem, get Corbyn - and there's no need for you to get on your high horse with your cheap jibes and insults. If you don't understand how politics works, don't waste your time here. Go and do some research and come back when you understand how the bear pit works.

I'm only a Party member but I don't detect any enthusiasm for dealing with either Corbyn or May currently. Assuming we will have to assumes a lot of things about parliamentary arithmetic after the next GE which aren't worth contemplating at this time though if the nosedive of the duopoly continues we may have to.

The LD aim will be first and foremost to maximise LD seats and votes. IF the Parliamentary arithmetic puts the party in a position to hold the balance of power, I'd like to think after the Coalition experience we will nail both other parties to the wall with some serious nails.

In other words, if they want our support, the price is going to be very heavy. How about STV for all future elections without a referendum? That works for me. Once that's in the bag we can talk about other things. I voted LEAVE so I'm not really bothered about a commitment to rejoin the EU but I imagine that may be on the table as well.

You might also want to ask what the price of the SNP's support might be or that of the Brexit party. We've all seen how coalition politics operates and we've all learned the same lesson - get your demands in and make them stick.
    Yes, and as an LD member too, I agree. There will be no coalition with Corbyn Labour, or even C and S. Possibly with a different Labour leader, but even then would most likely be permitting a minority government.
  • Options
    Biden-Buttigieg.

Has a ring don't you think?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Matt's last couple of cartoons have been particularly good.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

CROSSSOOOOOVVVVVEEEERRRRR

LAB: 32% (+1)
    CON: 28% (-4)
    LDM: 11% (-1)
    BXP: 8% (+3)
    UKIP: 6% (-1)
    CHUK: 3% (New)

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

Very poor GE poll for Chuk there - I doubt Allen personally outing Tory MPs today as potential defectors will help their cause much either. The list was rather obvious anyway - remain MPs who didn't back May's deal bar Grieve and Clarke.

Also quite an interesting split on the you gov EU election poll between 2016 remain and leave voters. UKIP/Brexit party combined poll 58% with the latter but only 4% of the former. Labour win 37% of remainers but only 11% of leavers with the Tories polling 15 and 18% respectively. The LDs win 14% of remainers but only 2% of 2016 leavers.

Even though this election doesn't really matter in terms of what most MEPs achieve it will be quite fascinating - and its quite important to the viability of Chuk, UKIP and the BP and to some extent the Greens as it gets you a lot of funding from Brussels.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

LAB-S&D: 37%
    CON-ECR: 15%
    LDEM-ALDE: 14%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 12%
    ChUK-*: 10%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 7%
    BREXIT-EFDD: 2%
    UKIP-ENF: 2%

European Election

2016 leave voters only

BREXIT-EFDD: 31%
    UKIP-ENF: 27%
    CON-ECR: 18%
    LAB-S&D: 11%
    SNP/PC-G/EFA: 4%
    ChUK-*: 3%
    GREEN-G/EFA: 3%
    LDEM-ALDE: 2%
    Interesting the Tories now have the closest balance between Leavers and Remainers on the Euro elections poll, with Tory Leave voters now only 3% more than Tory Remain voters thanks to defections to the Brexit Party and UKIP

The Scottish and Welsh nationalists also have a fairly close balance between Leave and Remain.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

The CU lost by just 3 votes in the indicative votes, far closer than EUref2, revoke Art 50, No Deal or May's current Deal were to a majority in the Commons. So yes I think if a CU is added to the PD the WA may well then pass.

Of course a future Tory PM might try and change the future relationship to remove the CU (though passage of the WA will have made the backstop for NI binding) just as a future Labour PM might try and rejoin the EU or add the SM to the PD too but that would be largely irrelevant in the short term as passage of the WA takes us to the transition period for 2 further years in which time we stay in the CU and SM anyway while we sort out the future relationship.

Governments always have the power to 'rip it up' with regards to anything in the future.

Whether they do so depends on how the popular the thing in question is, how easy it is to change and whether they will be in future government in any case.

And in your scenario the Conservatives likely change to exiting the EU without a referendum and without a deal - so two years after the next Conservative GE win its bye bye to the EU.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

The LD aim will be first and foremost to maximise LD seats and votes. IF the Parliamentary arithmetic puts the party in a position m stick.
    Yes, and as an LD member too, I agree. There will be no coalition with Corbyn Labour, or even C and S. Possibly with a different Labour leader, but even then would most likely be permitting a minority government.
    Even abstaining on a C and S vote on Corbyn PM could end up making him PM if the LDs hold the balance of power, in which case it is true to say unless the LDs commit to back the Tories on C and S 'vote LD get Corbyn' cannot be ruled out as a possible outcome of the next general election
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

Very poor GE poll for Chuk there - I doubt Allen personally outing Tory MPs today as potential defectors will help their cause much either. The list was rather obvious anyway - remain MPs who didn't back May's deal bar Grieve and Clarke.

Also quite an interesting split on the you gov EU election poll between 2016 remain and leave voters. UKIP/Brexit party combined poll 58% with the latter but only 4% of the former. Labour win 37% of remainers but only 11% of leavers with the Tories polling 15 and 18% respectively. The LDs win 14% of remainers but only 2% of 2016 leavers.

Even though this election doesn't really matter in terms of what most MEPs achieve it will be quite fascinating - and its quite important to the viability of Chuk, UKIP and the BP and to some extent the Greens as it gets you a lot of funding from Brussels.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

European Election

2016 leave voters only

Interesting the Tories now have the closest balance between Leavers and Remainers on the Euro elections poll, with Tory Leave voters now only 3% more than Tory Remain voters thanks to defections to the Brexit Party and UKIP
    That of course is based on a poll where the Tories get 16 per cent nationally. They really can’t afford to lose those leave voters - 23 May might be a protest but there is a risk it could become a trend. It’s all about momentum as you might well say.

It wasn’t long ago we thought a Rees Mogg might Become our next PM - we didn’t think it could be Nancy though!!!
  • Options

Biden-Buttigieg.

Has a ring don't you think?

On Topic, I think the odds on Buttigieg are far too short.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited April 2019
    The establishment party MP's just couldn't help themselves opening the Pandora's Box of betraying the referendum.

Farage gave up in 2016! The only way to get him back was this.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited April 2019

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No chance.
    Do you think they might go below 16%? It wasn't exactly helpful for Hammond to say the Euro election would be a pointless exercise. Why should Tory campaigners get off their backsides to deliver leaflets with the Chancellor saying that sort of thing.
    Feels like they are going to get pounded to be honest. Many Tories will sit it out rather than be disloyal, leaving a significant % who are so angry they vote Brexit Party.

At least for council elections there is the argument that you are electing a local person to deal with the bins not Brexit.

And frankly it is a looming and avoidable disaster which will make Farage even more of household name than is already.
    Speaking as a dyed in the wool PB Tory, if I were to vote I'd probably be in that second category.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tories must surely be a bit shocked by the YouGov Euro poll putting them only 2% ahead of Gerard Batten's UKIP which has Tommy Robinson as an adviser.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The best chance for Labour to win an election is for the Leave vote to split .

That does much more damage to the Tories because they’re much more reliant on that . Those Labour Leavers are now scraping around 15% to 20% who still think leaving was the right thing to do .

Even in northern Leave seats a strong majority of Labour voters wanted to Remain . Some of the Labour MPs seem unable to understand this and seem to form their opinion on the amount of angry emails they get from Leave constituents .

• Options
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

No chance.

Speaking as a dyed in the wool PB Tory, if I were to vote I'd probably be in that second category.
    I'll wait to see whether I should vote Conservative or Brexit. It will be whichever of the two is more likely to come first. Although Farage is a huckster, I want to demonstrate continued support for Brexit.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Tories must surely be a bit shocked by the YouGov Euro poll putting them only 2% ahead of Gerard Batten's UKIP which has Tommy Robinson as an adviser.

I hope they are not surprised. All highly predictable.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. D, as 'PB Tory', I don't want to vote for Farage, I don't want to vote for UKIP, and voting Conservative might be misinterpreted as support for the wretched May.

Obviously I'm not voting Communist, Green, or Lib Dem.

My current plan for the European elections is to hope the Pirate Party is standing.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

That does much more damage to the Tories because they’re much more reliant on that . Those Labour Leavers are now scraping around 15% to 20% who still think leaving was the right thing to do .

Even in northern Leave seats a strong majority of Labour voters wanted to Remain . Some of the Labour MPs seem unable to understand this and seem to form their opinion on the amount of angry emails they get from Leave constituents .

Most of the key marginals voted Leave
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

European Election

2016 leave voters only

The Scottish and Welsh nationalists also have a fairly close balance between Leave and Remain.
    They are still more Remain than the Tories Euro election voters are Leave though
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

stodge said:

kle4 said:

The LD aim will be first and foremost to maximise LD seats and votes. IF the Parliamentary arithmetic puts the party in a position m stick.
    Even abstaining on a C and S vote on Corbyn PM could end up making him PM if the LDs hold the balance of power, in which case it is true to say unless the LDs commit to back the Tories on C and S 'vote LD get Corbyn' cannot be ruled out as a possible outcome of the next general election
    "Vote LD, control Corbyn " is more appealing, I would suggest, than "Vote LD, get some headbanger Tory".
  • Options

Mr. D, as 'PB Tory', I don't want to vote for Farage, I don't want to vote for UKIP, and voting Conservative might be misinterpreted as support for the wretched May.

My current plan for the European elections is to hope the Pirate Party is standing.

Elvis Bus Pass?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Morris_Dancer walks the plank .... :smile:
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:

brendan16 said:

Via @YouGov, 10-11 Apr.
    Changes w/ 2-3 Apr.

European Election

2016 remain voters only

European Election

2016 leave voters only

That of course is based on a poll where the Tories get 16 per cent nationally. They really can’t afford to lose those leave voters - 23 May might be a protest but there is a risk it could become a trend. It’s all about momentum as you might well say.

It wasn’t long ago we thought a Rees Mogg might Become our next PM - we didn’t think it could be Nancy though!!!
    Of course, however May must stay PM to get the Deal through and protect the economy and the Union even though the Tories take the hit with defections to UKIP and the Brexit Party, then I suspect Raab or Boris would win the leadership and the members' vote on a hard Brexit ticket once May goes before the next general election
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That poll highlights my point . Why on earth would Labour want to help the Tories by making a deal. The Leave vote splitting will do little damage to Labour because their voters are now much more Remain than during the EU ref campaign .
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    If Labour explicitly backs remain they will mop up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    New thread.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

Most of the key marginals voted Leave
    That’s not because of Labour Leave votes, it’s the general demographics of the constituency . A split Leave vote helps Labour . If both parties lose some Leavers then it hurts the Tories much more because they are much more reliant on that vote .
  • Options
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    And for the euros;

https://www.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1117101882906959873

Main difference is the Labour vote holding better against remain splitters.

This poll began earlier than Yougov though.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Mortimer said:

First Labour lead with YouGov since July 2018.

Thanks Nigel

One side effect of the Brexit Party is that the Tory vote is becoming more pro-Remain than it was.
    True. But still only about 2%

Joining the party and canvassing would show you how much of a minority you’re in...
    Whenever I've been to Tory party events I've found no shortage of like-minded people.
    The last time I was at a Tory Party event was 1978, but the Tories I know are distinctly remainey. I don't know many so I don't claim to be an authority. But this narrative of the Conservatives being fanatically anti-EU simply isn't something I have seen outside the media and this forum.
This discussion has been closed.