Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A ridiculous spectacle, looking in detail at Julian Assange’s

Comments

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    HYUFD said:

For those interested, Finnish results as they come in can be followed here
    https://vaalit.yle.fi/ev2019/en

so far 44% counted

Looks like the Finnish Social Democratic Party have won most seats, the Centre Party of Finland has lost most seats and the populist True Finns are third
    Big swing to the left there - not often you see Social Democrats, ex-communist far left and Greens all putting on seats in the same election. True Finns down a bit, and the Centre Party massacred. The National Coalition Party are the moderate conservatives in Finland.

It will end up with a coalition as usual, but the Centre may want to lick their wounds for a while, in which case a majority is not obvious. Perhaps SocDems+NCP+Greens+Christian Democrats?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited April 2019
    MTimT said:

I believe the Obama administration were equally avid in wanting his extradition as Trump. I know my FBI buddies hate him with an intensity I find disturbing, even though I understand he probably put some of their friends' lives in danger. They are not Trump fans.

Well, they clearly weren't. They never asked for him. If they had wanted him in 2011 they only had to ask nicely and as Cyclefree has pointed out we wouldn't have been able to refuse.

A more pertinent question might be whether it's Trump that's behind the current change of approach or whether shifting personnel in other areas is what caused it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Ooh, am I first?

Still pondering standing for the Tiggers in the Euros? :)
    No.
    (1) I have a work project starting next month.
    (2) My current MEP is a LibDem so makes more sense to vote for them.
    (3) I would say what I thought regardless of the party line.
    (4) I have a cupboard full of skeletons.
    (5) I am not giving my children the opportunity to reveal all my bad habits. They can do that in the traditional manner at the wake when I am dead and everyone will be too sad - or relieved - to care.
    (6) Even in the Brexit-Corbyn dystopia that Britain will become, I still want to spend time with my husband in the Lake District. Brussels - and I know it well - cannot compete.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715
    Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It is easy to point at Lammy and laugh over the black/white smoke comment and the policeman video (and PBers are strongly encouraged to do so). But someone who does not know who Marie Curie was (and, given the prompt "Marie", thinks Marie Antoinette discovered radium) has no place in the House of Commons, even as a toilet attendant.

That's ridiculous. Andrea Leadsom discovered radium.
    At least some lead would block the radiation.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Looks like the Finnish Social Democratic Party have won most seats, the Centre Party of Finland has lost most seats and the populist True Finns are third
    Big swing to the left there - not often you see Social Democrats, ex-communist far left and Greens all putting on seats in the same election. True Finns down a bit, and the Centre Party massacred. The National Coalition Party are the moderate conservatives in Finland.

It will end up with a coalition as usual, but the Centre may want to lick their wounds for a while, in which case a majority is not obvious. Perhaps SocDems+NCP+Greens+Christian Democrats?
    How about a red-redder-green-blackshirt coalition? Isn't that what they have in New Zealand?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, Julian Assange had better hope to be extradited to Sweden to face his sex molestation charges first. Because then, it will be the Swedish government (and not our own) who is considering the extradition request from the US government.

A pity he didn’t do that in 2011/2012 when he had the chance.

And remember: the Swedes have not charged him. They wanted to question him.
    Wasn't the not unreasonable concern that once the Swedes had him, he could easily be handed over to the Americans.
    Absolutely not. That was the bullshit being spun by him and his supporters. The US-UK extradition treaty made it very much easier than before to extradite someone from the UK to the US. That was one of the reasons it was criticised.

There was no equivalent extradition treaty between Sweden and the US. So had he gone there, he would likely have been safer from extradition to the US than he is now.

In going into the Ecuadorian Embassy in Britain Assange did exactly the wrong thing if he wanted to escape the US’s eventual clutches.

Or he did exactly the right thing if he wanted to turn himself into some sort of self-proclaimed martyr.
    Cyclefree, really like your point about oversimplification of people's character and motives. It is one of the biggest cognitive traps we set for ourselves. In my workshops on accident investigations, I ask participants to put themselves in the mind of the person 'responsible' for the accident, and tell their story from that person's point of view, with them as the hero, not the villain. It opens up many new, different interpretations of the same action and a better, more nuanced understanding of complex actions and events.
    Indeed. One of the key, indeed probably the most important, skills of an investigator is being able to empathise with those under investigation and understand why they did or what they did. Only then can you begin to understand how you might get people to behave differently in future.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    No, no, TIGER's had a massive victory, not TIGGERs........
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

I believe the Obama administration were equally avid in wanting his extradition as Trump. I know my FBI buddies hate him with an intensity I find disturbing, even though I understand he probably put some of their friends' lives in danger. They are not Trump fans.

Well, they clearly weren't. They never asked for him. If they had wanted him in 2011 they only had to ask nicely and as Cyclefree has pointed out we wouldn't have been able to refuse.

A more pertinent question might be whether it's Trump that's behind the current change of approach or whether shifting personnel in other areas is what caused it.
    I think a change of government in Ecuador sealed Assange's fate.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    kle4 said:
    The first ie Social Care reform lost Tories their majority at GE2017.

The 2nd was the right call
  • Options

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

How about a red-redder-green-blackshirt coalition? Isn't that what they have in New Zealand?
    The Social Democrats have ruled out a coalition including the True Finns, who in any case seem to performing below expectations. I'm not sure I'd call Winston Peters' party blackshirts! - they are protectionist but not (I think?) as rabid as most of the nationalist populists.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Mayor Pete just about to announce that he's standing in a rally in a closed down car factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cLJV4pSQw
  • Options
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Insofar as being kicked out of their embassy was concerned, agreed.

I think it rather unlikely that the offices of the Attornies General of the United States and the State of Virginia are influenced by the President of Ecuador.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Coating the walls of the embassy with his shit didn't help
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The Social Democrats have ruled out a coalition including the True Finns, who in any case seem to performing below expectations. I'm not sure I'd call Winston Peters' party blackshirts! - they are protectionist but not (I think?) as rabid as most of the nationalist populists.
    All Black Shirts ?!? .... :smile:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Insofar as being kicked out of their embassy was concerned, agreed.

I think it rather unlikely that the offices of the Attornies General of the United States and the State of Virginia are influenced by the President of Ecuador.
    What is relevant is influence in the opposite direction, which I find very easy to believe in.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

My comments were in no way a defence of Assange. As I said he should have gone back to Sweden and answered the accusations. He strikes me as one of those arrogant types who start off perhaps trying to do something of value but who, with success, develop a messiah complex and think they can do no wrong. It is why, from the very start, the claims about him and his sexual assaults rang true.

But as I say that is a very different issue to that of the Wikileaks stuff. Assange is not accused of actually killing anyone (unlike the IRA cases you mention) and if the Irish nationalists had been limiting their activities to embarrassing the UK government then the US would have been absolutely right not to have extradited them.

It is also worth perhaps asking the question whether a change of administration in the US would be likely to alter their attempts to bring him to trial. If the answer to that is yes then it does make it seem far more credible that these are simply political charges designed to prevent future whistle blower cases and seek revenge.
    Your last point may well be valid in that maybe a different administration might have other priorities. But deterrence is a feature of lots of prosecutions. It does not necessarily make them political in the limited sense that would allow a state to reject an extradition request.

As I understand it the DoJ has indicted Assange on a charge of conspiracy to hack a computer. It may well be that part of the case against him will be that the consequences of such action did include the deaths of or harm to sources.

Assange himself, when questioned about this by a Guardian journalist, said that he did not care, they were “informants” and deserved to die. It is quite chilling. If you were someone who had developed those sources, who had built up the necessary relationship of trust, who knew how much trust they placed in you, imagine how you’d feel about such insouciant disregard. Think of how cross British soldiers have been at how feeble the British state has been in helping Afghan interpreters. Then imagine that an Assange acts in a way which places those people - and perhaps their families too - in mortal danger.

You can call it revenge. Some might call it justice.

And, yes, I know that embarrassment at having war crimes publicised is probably the driving factor. But it is not the only one. Assange’s actions likely had consequences beyond the disclosure of US crimes which need prosecuting.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Stunning.

Just superb.

Best sporting story for eons.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The Social Democrats have ruled out a coalition including the True Finns, who in any case seem to performing below expectations..
    What are you talking about? At the start of the campaign True Finns were 5th on 11.1% after bad spell in government and a split due to the election of a much more anti-immigrant leader; currently they’re 2nd in votes on 17% and joint second in seats....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Both were the right call. The policy may well have needed tweaking and it was definitely impolitic to be specific about such a thing in a manifesto, but social care reform was worth raising.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree, really like your point about oversimplification of people's character and motives. It is one of the biggest cognitive traps we set for ourselves. In my workshops on accident investigations, I ask participants to put themselves in the mind of the person 'responsible' for the accident, and tell their story from that person's point of view, with them as the hero, not the villain. It opens up many new, different interpretations of the same action and a better, more nuanced understanding of complex actions and events.

That's a great point. I love reading accident report (not for gore - the best reports have none of that - but for seeing what failed and how). One question I ask is not 'did person X do something wrong?', but 'did person X make an understandable mistake, or was it sheer incompetence?"

I'm seeing this in the forums about the 737 Max's woes. There are many people in online forums who are very keen to blame the pilots, especially those of the second, Ethiopian flights. They make the point that near the end, the pilots varied from Boeing's checklist and turned power back on to the trim system. This caused them to crash, they say.

They might be correct with the accusation. However there is a deeper question: given the circumstances the pilots were in at the time, was switching the system on understandable?

From what we know (and I am not a pilot), such a case might be able to be made. By the time they did that, they had been struggling for a few minutes with a plane that wanted to crash. The new checklists given to them by Boeing had evidently not worked (although there is some argument about whether they'd performed them correctly). They had alarms blaring and the stick-shaker on. It might well be that it was next to impossible to manually trim the system due to the aerodynamic forces. Given these factors, was what they did understandable? Would some other well-trained pilots have done it? What were the consequences of not doing it - i.e. might they have crashed anyway or earlier?

Even if the pilots did so something that caused the crash, the situation they were in to make the decisions they did were, IMO, more important causal factors.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

I think the swings seems to be mainly Centre Party (down 17 to 32) to Social Democrats (up 5 to 39) with some gains for the Greens and Left Alliance, so more a swing from centre to centre left if anything.

The conservative NCP are currently unchanged on 37 seats and the populist right True Finns up one to 39 to take second place.

I would imagine your coalition looks plausible
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Both were the right call. The policy may well have needed tweaking and it was definitely impolitic to be specific about such a thing in a manifesto, but social care reform was worth raising.
    Terrible policy idea IMO and more specifically the voters.

Taxation is the answer.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The Social Democrats have ruled out a coalition including the True Finns, who in any case seem to performing below expectations..
    What are you talking about? At the start of the campaign True Finns were 5th on 11.1% after bad spell in government and a split due to the election of a much more anti-immigrant leader; currently they’re 2nd in votes on 17% and joint second in seats....
    Oh, unless you meant SDP performing under expectations?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

True Finns in second place and after the collapse of the Centre Party they are now the main alternative to the Social Democrats in Finland
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MTimT said:

Coating the walls of the embassy with his shit didn't help
    You can just imagine the scene at the embassy reception:

"Ambassador, with these Ferrero Rocher you are really spoiling us!"
    "I must apologise - we don't serve Ferrero Rocher. I'm afraid Assange's room is leaking again..."
  • Options
    Anyway, off topic I share the views of @MarqueeMark and @kinabalu on Fleabag.

Absolutely superb. What it had, above all, was an emotional truth to the main characters and the key relationships.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

True Finns in second place and after the collapse of the Centre Party they are now the main alternative to the Social Democrats in Finland
    With what’s happening in the places that still have votes remaining it’s not impossible True Finns could come first in votes.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    81% counted in Finland

SDP 39 seats (+5)
    True Finns 39 (+1)
    National Coalition Party 37 (=)
    Centre Party 32 (-17)
    Greens 20 (+5)
    Left Alliance 16 (+4)
    Swedish People Party 10 (+1)
    Christian Democrats 5(=)
    Others 2 (+1)
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Uudenmaan vaalipiiri 55% counted
    https://vaalit.yle.fi/ev2019/en/regions/1
    Helsingin vaalipiiri 70% counted
    https://vaalit.yle.fi/ev2019/en/regions/2

Other regions are over 90% counted
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

That's a great point. I love reading accident report (not for gore - the best reports have none of that - but for seeing what failed and how). One question I ask is not 'did person X do something wrong?', but 'did person X make an understandable mistake, or was it sheer incompetence?"

I'm seeing this in the forums about the 737 Max's woes. There are many people in online forums who are very keen to blame the pilots, especially those of the second, Ethiopian flights. They make the point that near the end, the pilots varied from Boeing's checklist and turned power back on to the trim system. This caused them to crash, they say.

They might be correct with the accusation. However there is a deeper question: given the circumstances the pilots were in at the time, was switching the system on understandable?

From what we know (and I am not a pilot), such a case might be able to be made. By the time they did that, they had been struggling for a few minutes with a plane that wanted to crash. The new checklists given to them by Boeing had evidently not worked (although there is some argument about whether they'd performed them correctly). They had alarms blaring and the stick-shaker on. It might well be that it was next to impossible to manually trim the system due to the aerodynamic forces. Given these factors, was what they did understandable? Would some other well-trained pilots have done it? What were the consequences of not doing it - i.e. might they have crashed anyway or earlier?

Even if the pilots did so something that caused the crash, the situation they were in to make the decisions they did were, IMO, more important causal factors.
    The statistics on this are stark. 95%+ of accidents occur when people think they are doing the right thing and, indeed, are probably doing things no differently than they normally do successfully. Of those cases that result in accidents, 90% of people with a similar level of training and experience would make the same mistake.

Thus, in most cases, blaming the proximate 'human error' is pointless. What about the system led them to think that was the right decision, or what about what normally goes right was inappropriate on that day in those circumstances?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
  • Options
    Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

I am sure Andy will be along soon to tell us Tories have been ahead or level in 30 of the last 40 polls
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All we need is for the Tiggers to win the European elections and they're buggered.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Weren't the True Finns in second place behind the Centre Party last time?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Is that a true Finn or have you just made it up?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    Detroit to win the World Series and Cincinatti to win the Super Bowl!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Yes but the Centre Party historically have been the main alternative to the Social Democrats in Finland, in fact probably the most successful party electorally in Finland, so the True Finns overtaking both the Centre Party and the centre right National Coalition Party (the other main Finnish Party) is quite a story
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The True Finn parliamentary party split in half during this session, the more right wing side has now completely wiped out the rebel scum.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I like Mayor Pete too, I really do. But him being 6/1 and Warren 30/1 on BF for the nomination is nuts given their fundraising and polling are very similar. She has more known problems, but he has fewer known strengths imho.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The True Finn parliamentary party split in half during this session, the more right wing side has now wiped out the rebel scum.
    Did they use to be called the FN-2187 Party?

:lol:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

With what’s happening in the places that still have votes remaining it’s not impossible True Finns could come first in votes.
    Yes, they are now just 1 seat behind the Social Democrats, 39 seats to 40 and
  • Options
    MTimT said:

The statistics on this are stark. 95%+ of accidents occur when people think they are doing the right thing and, indeed, are probably doing things no differently than they normally do successfully. Of those cases that result in accidents, 90% of people with a similar level of training and experience would make the same mistake.

Thus, in most cases, blaming the proximate 'human error' is pointless. What about the system led them to think that was the right decision, or what about what normally goes right was inappropriate on that day in those circumstances?
    Are you talking about plane accidents, accidents at work by trained individuals, or about all accidents? If it is all accidents, then I don't believe your statistic. Most accidents are caused by people doing something stupid that they know they shouldn't really be doing it (precarios ladder, parafin on a lit barbie, driving when tired), or their judgement has been impaired by alcohol or other drugs.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

The True Finn parliamentary party split in half during this session, the more right wing side has now wiped out the rebel scum.
    No.

No they were not.

:)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    rcs1000 said:

The True Finns went into Government with the Centre and National Coalition Parties after the 2015 election but in 2017 True Finns split with about half the MPs forming a group called Blue Reform (now there's a name) and continuing in the Centre-led Government while the rest went into opposition.

It looks as though Blue Reform has been wiped out so you have four parties in Finland between 30 and 40 seats each - the Social Democrats, National Coalition, True Finns and Centre.

In the not too distant past, the Social Democrats, National Coalition, Greens, Left Alliance along with the Swedish People's Party governed as a coalition. That grouping would I think command a majority in the new Parliament so perhaps we will see Rinne become Prime Minister.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

I am sure Andy will be along soon to tell us Tories have been ahead or level in 30 of the last 40 polls

EICIPM?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Mayor Pete ends his speech by saying his supporters can help him "usher in a new American Spring". I'm gonna assume he doesn't mean the allusion I heard when he said that...
  • Options
    edited April 2019

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Amazing. Every word of what you just said...was wrong.
  • Options
    With 93% counted in Finland, True Finns now tied for first with the Social Democrats with 40 seats each

• Options
    Quincel said:

Mayor Pete ends his speech by saying his supporters can help him "usher in a new American Spring". I'm gonna assume he doesn't mean the allusion I heard when he said that...

Isil think he's a good candidate.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Quincel said:

My favourite Matt cartoon of all time was during the 2011 riots. He had Colonel Gaddafi in his tent pointing at a TV screen saying "the authorities should ruthlessly crush the Tottenham Spring."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

With 93% counted in Finland, True Finns now tied for first with the Social Democrats with 40 seats each

I'm still seeing the Finnish SDP with 40 and True Finns on 39 but the Centre Party's losses have mainly been to the Left so the Greens and Left Alliance have made gains along with the SDP making a centre-left coalition more likely.
  • Options
    Watch Mo Salah’s goal on MOTD tonight.

It was so good I think it got most of the crowd pregnant, even the men.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Yes. Their manifesto was a polemical open letter entitled Jakkuse.
  • Options

Oh come on, Mr Eagles...
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

Are you talking about plane accidents, accidents at work by trained individuals, or about all accidents? If it is all accidents, then I don't believe your statistic. Most accidents are caused by people doing something stupid that they know they shouldn't really be doing it (precarios ladder, parafin on a lit barbie, driving when tired), or their judgement has been impaired by alcohol or other drugs.
    You are simply wrong. What makes them drive when tired, what makes them not secure ladders? Usually management pressures of some sort. If they are not competent to do the job, why are they being asked/allowed to do it without the appropriate training? The percentage of work accidents caused by drugs and alcohol is, according to statistics I have seen collated by people with decades of experience in the field, very low. Fatigue and stress are far bigger contributors across all industries.

If you asked people who you thought were doing stupid things whether they thought they were being stupid in the moment (not in hindsight), I bet you'd rarely hear someone say yes.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    _Anazina_ said:

Stunning.

Just superb.

Best sporting story for eons.

Unbelievable. Icon!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Yes. Their manifesto was a polemical open letter entitled Jakkuse.
    All their dreams went up in Snoke
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

This isn't quite right as they are just one of several parties that poll around 20%, who go in to coalition with each other on a revolving basis.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

https://twitter.com/joedotie/status/1117505189983019008?s=21
  • Options
    Did he also explain how it quickly changed into such a party and yet it has not dented their chances of winning power at an election at all? Because someone could take a different lesson from that to the one Ian Austin would want them to take.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Did he also explain how it quickly changed into such a party and yet it has not dented their chances of winning power at an election at all? Because someone could take a different lesson from that to the one Ian Austin would want them to take.
    Or since the TIGGERS left how they’re leading in all the polls?
  • Options
    nielh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

This isn't quite right as they are just one of several parties that poll around 20%, who go in to coalition with each other on a revolving basis.
    Yet on tonight's result the True Finns are the leading alternative party to the Social Democrats no matter what the Coalition dealmaking afterwards
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Or since the TIGGERS left how they’re leading in all the polls?
    Well in fairness shortly after the Tiggers left the Tories had big leads in the polls all of a sudden, but yes, that Labour are very well placed should worry anyone who thinks Labour are turning into such a party as described, since let's be honest, without facing electoral consequences for bad behaviour no party will think it particularly urgent to deal with, and externals will not shun them either.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

You are simply wrong. What makes them drive when tired, what makes them not secure ladders? Usually management pressures of some sort. If they are not competent to do the job, why are they being asked/allowed to do it without the appropriate training? The percentage of work accidents caused by drugs and alcohol is, according to statistics I have seen collated by people with decades of experience in the field, very low. Fatigue and stress are far bigger contributors across all industries.

If you asked people who you thought were doing stupid things whether they thought they were being stupid in the moment (not in hindsight), I bet you'd rarely hear someone say yes.
    As far as I am aware (*), there has only ever been one accident caused deliberately by a railway worker who wanted to cause a crash:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connington_South_rail_crash

It killed five passengers in 1967.

Compare with the following similar incident, which was caused by a signalman trying to speed operations up. Many others were doing similar things:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audenshaw_Junction_rail_accident

In most accidents, the people involved did not want the accident, and would have done things to prevent it if they had known the consequences. The question then becomes why they did what they did.

(*) I bet there have been many more.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I'm still seeing the Finnish SDP with 40 and True Finns on 39 but the Centre Party's losses have mainly been to the Left so the Greens and Left Alliance have made gains along with the SDP making a centre-left coalition more likely.
    They were tied briefly at 40 seats now back to 40, 39.

Greens plus Left Alliance plus SDP only gets to 76 seats, so still well short of the 101 seats needed for a majority
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

As far as I am aware (*), there has only ever been one accident caused deliberately by a railway worker who wanted to cause a crash:

Compare with the following similar incident, which was caused by a signalman trying to speed operations up. Many others were doing similar things:

In most accidents, the people involved did not want the accident, and would have done things to prevent it if they had known the consequences. The question then becomes why they did what they did.

There are arguments around Moorgate.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    edited April 2019
    Finnish elections: Helsingin Sanomat reporting exceptionally large differences between postal votes and election day votes for the percentages for the Finns Party and the Social Democrats with postal votes favouring the SDP and disfavouring the Finns Party.
  • Options
    matt said:

MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

Indeed, but that's based on guesswork: afaiaa no-one has any idea what happened in that cab.
  • Options
    matt said:

MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

My understanding from a relative who worked many years on the Tube is that it was deliberate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Greens plus Left Alliance plus SDP only gets to 76 seats, so still well short of the 101 seats needed for a majority
    The 10 Swedish minority party seats are essentially apolitical - more Swedish taught in schools etc. will win their votes. But you're right that it's not enough - really needs either the conservatives or the battered liberals.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Historically and indeed quite recently, National Coalition has been in Government with the SDP, Greens and Left Alliance. This was the case from 2011-14 so if you bring National Coalition's 37 seats to the table, such a coalition would have a majority in the Finnish Parliament.
  • Options
    matt said:

MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

Deliberate
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

so far 44% counted

Yet on tonight's result the True Finns are the leading alternative party to the Social Democrats no matter what the Coalition dealmaking afterwards
    The True Finns almost seemed moribund, but within a few months, they're rocketed back into prominence.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,059
    edited April 2019
    Interesting choice of photo, showing Corbyn with his arms closed.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1117516865331396609
  • Options

Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

I don't think there was any poll with Deltapoll, and I think the Conservatives led with BMG.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    geoffw said:

Finnish elections: Helsingin Sanomat reporting exceptionally large differences between postal votes and election day votes for the percentages for the Finns Party and the Social Democrats with postal votes favouring the SDP and disfavouring the Finns Party.

Actually that is not postal voting, but "pre-voting". Voters can choose to vote one week in advance. In fact, this is the only way voters abroad can vote. All voting is in person. There are no postal votes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Sean_F said:

Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

I don't think there was any poll with Deltapoll, and I think the Conservatives led with BMG.
    Tories were 3 behind Labour with last Deltapoll and 2 behind with last BMG.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

It depends if you use the figures with or without Change and the Brexit Party. Change should certainly be included IMO, but I think the Brexit Party should only be included for Euro polls, until it's clear they're running Parliamentary candidates.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Finland 99% counted

Social Democrats 40 seats (+6)
    True Finns 39 (+1)
    National Coalition Party 38 (+1)
    Centre Party 31 (-18)
    Greens 20 (+5)
    Left Alliance 16 (+4)
    Swedish People Party 9 (0)
    Christian Democrats 5(=)
    Others 2 (+1)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    How come Nancy Pelosi is in London, anyway?
  • Options
    Never watched a Star Trek, but I think there are some fans on here

https://twitter.com/tvqu1z/status/1096905074780106752?s=21
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Some of the things we put people through in this country, because politicians have decided they needed to do something in response to a tabloid share campaign, debase the notion that we are a reasonable law-abiding country.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/14/couples-sham-marriage-crackdown-hostile-environment

Fuck that shit.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

Interesting choice of photo, showing Corbyn with his arms closed.

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1117516865331396609

Not the only one with folded arms on the Labour side.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

matt said:

MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

Deliberate
    I don't see how you can know that.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Good Week

• BMG (Labour +4%)
    • Delta (Labour +5%)
    • Survation (Labour +4%)
    • Kantar (Labour +4%)
    • Hanbury (Labour +9%)
    • Opinium (Labour +7%)
    • YouGov (Labour +4%)
    • ComRes (level)

It depends if you use the figures with or without Change and the Brexit Party. Change should certainly be included IMO, but I think the Brexit Party should only be included for Euro polls, until it's clear they're running Parliamentary candidates.
    Fair point
  • Options
  • Options
    This word has always reminded me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" song "Kinda Lingers", and linking this song with Theresa May is deeply disturbing!
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

This word has always reminded me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" song "Kinda Lingers", and linking this song with Theresa May is deeply disturbing!
    Hmmm... hopefully I will be able to eradicate that thought from my head before I fall asleep tonight!
  • Options
    isam said:

Never watched a Star Trek, but I think there are some fans on here

https://twitter.com/tvqu1z/status/1096905074780106752?s=21

Ok it hasn't got the piping on the uniforms so it's not Season 1, Troi is still in the pyjamas uniform so it's not Season 7, Riker's got a beard so it's after season 2. There's no obvious battle damage on the bridge so it's not a combat episode, but the music is bland so it doesn't sound like Ron Jones (who was fired because his music was too good - seriously, Google it). I think the panels on the wall changed, so I'd guess somewhere around season 4 or 5. Anybody got any better ideas? I'm on a train (again) so I'm on the tablet and can't really check.

(And for the avoidance of doubt, yes I do know the fart noises are dubbed)

This discussion has been closed.