Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A ridiculous spectacle, looking in detail at Julian Assange’s

124»

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    eristdoof said:

This word has always reminded me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" song "Kinda Lingers", and linking this song with Theresa May is deeply disturbing!
    It took me years before I got that joke... :(
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Finnish elections: Helsingin Sanomat reporting exceptionally large differences between postal votes and election day votes for the percentages for the Finns Party and the Social Democrats with postal votes favouring the SDP and disfavouring the Finns Party.

Actually that is not postal voting, but "pre-voting". Voters can choose to vote one week in advance. In fact, this is the only way voters abroad can vote. All voting is in person. There are no postal votes.
    Interesting. Here in Germany you can get a proper postal vote, but you can also pre-vote. The odd thing is that this pre-voting is technically a postal vote, which maybe explains the above confusion of words. You pick up the ballot paper in the town hall, vote in a voting booth straight away, put the ballot paper in an envelope and post it in the "post-box" without leaving the room. You can do thie pre-voting up to one week in advance withouth having to request a postal vote. The votes are stored and counted together with the true posted votes.

When I first hear of this system, I thought that's wierd, but now I think it is a good idea.

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668

This thread has now been evicted.

• Options
    MTimT said:

eristdoof said:

MTimT said:

The statistics on this are stark. 95%+ of accidents occur when people think they are doing the right thing and, indeed, are probably doing things no differently than they normally do successfully. Of those cases that result in accidents, 90% of people with a similar level of training and experience would make the same mistake.

Thus, in most cases, blaming the proximate 'human error' is pointless. What about the system led them to think that was the right decision, or what about what normally goes right was inappropriate on that day in those circumstances?

Are you talking about plane accidents, accidents at work by trained individuals, or about all accidents? If it is all accidents, then I don't believe your statistic. Most accidents are caused by people doing something stupid that they know they shouldn't really be doing it (precarios ladder, parafin on a lit barbie, driving when tired), or their judgement has been impaired by alcohol or other drugs.
    You are simply wrong. What makes them drive when tired, what makes them not secure ladders? Usually management pressures of some sort. If they are not competent to do the job, why are they being asked/allowed to do it without the appropriate training? The percentage of work accidents caused by drugs and alcohol is, according to statistics I have seen collated by people with decades of experience in the field, very low. Fatigue and stress are far bigger contributors across all industries.

If you asked people who you thought were doing stupid things whether they thought they were being stupid in the moment (not in hindsight), I bet you'd rarely hear someone say yes.
    Read my post again!
    "Are you talking about plane accidents, accidents at work by trained individuals, or about all accidents?, If it is all accidents, ..."
    But you then reply about work accidents, which is fair enough.

The difference is very important because most accidents today are not work related.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Did he also explain how it quickly changed into such a party and yet it has not dented their chances of winning power at an election at all? Because someone could take a different lesson from that to the one Ian Austin would want them to take.
    Or since the TIGGERS left how they’re leading in all the polls?
    Well in fairness shortly after the Tiggers left the Tories had big leads in the polls all of a sudden, but yes, that Labour are very well placed should worry anyone who thinks Labour are turning into such a party as described, since let's be honest, without facing electoral consequences for bad behaviour no party will think it particularly urgent to deal with, and externals will not shun them either.
    It seems to me that Labour are doing badly in the polls when the current situation in the tory party is taken into consideration.
This discussion has been closed.