Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » LAB might have leads of upto 9% in the polls but punters still

13»

Comments

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,641

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

To be fair to Hunt, I don't think that's too bad as a short explanation. England vs Britain...... well for a man who isn't sure where his wife comes from......
    In most foreign languages Britain is England. Apologies to any Caledonian readers who bristle at this fact.
    Perhaps the PB Japanese speakers (that should probably be singular) can confirm if this is accurate?

England: イングランド (Ingurando)
    Britain/UK: 英国 (Igirisu)

Have you a list of all these other languages that translate Britain as England? It would make fascinating reading.
    They are not right in the head and I am not talking about the Japanese.
    I could be wrong, and I've no doubt someone will correct me if I am, but isn't the French for the UK 'Le Royaume Uni' but in ordinary conversation they just use 'Angleterre?'
    And HMQEII is routinely referred to as “the queen of England”.

Just as well there aren’t any grievance mongers lurking in the undergrowth waiting to take offence....

And to add to the gaiety of the nation Malay/Indonesia translates “Britain” as “Britania” and “Great Britain” as “Inggris Raya” (Great England).
    Yes but she is Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,852
    Compared to the scheming narcissists which seem to be the backbone of the present Conservative party Corbyn is looking good.. It's also sinking in that his principles are probably genuine. Something post Blair and Cameron that people admire even if they don't share them. The distrust of his values seem to have been largely swatted away.

• isamisam Posts: 40,658
    edited April 2019

Your new look UKIP:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/sargon-akkad-discord-ukip-mep-campaign

What a f***ing catastrophe these EU elections are going to be.

The comments are just copycats of those from the woman who started the Remainers petition!

Look what she’s started. Anyone who signed it is responsible for this by long winded quasi association. Bang to rights.
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

To be fair to Hunt, I don't think that's too bad as a short explanation. England vs Britain...... well for a man who isn't sure where his wife comes from......
    In most foreign languages Britain is England. Apologies to any Caledonian readers who bristle at this fact.
    Perhaps the PB Japanese speakers (that should probably be singular) can confirm if this is accurate?

Have you a list of all these other languages that translate Britain as England? It would make fascinating reading.
    I could be wrong, and I've no doubt someone will correct me if I am, but isn't the French for the UK 'Le Royaume Uni' but in ordinary conversation they just use 'Angleterre?'

Just as well there aren’t any grievance mongers lurking in the undergrowth waiting to take offence....

And to add to the gaiety of the nation Malay/Indonesia translates “Britain” as “Britania” and “Great Britain” as “Inggris Raya” (Great England).
    I do remember my history teacher reminding us all that.... But they bequeathed us the useless Stuarts. It didnt end well.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Je suis Ecosse
    No wonder they smile! L’etat c’est moi!
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,641

Just thinking - could we end up in a situation where we pull out of the EU elections after postal votes have already been cast?

Fat chance we are in for a long time
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,812
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    This is what I alluded to earlier . The government simply doesn’t have the time to push through the WAIB .

The Lords has no incentive to speed things up and MPs won’t appreciate being rushed , the Bill is likely to cause a major meltdown in the Tory party . There’s likely to be even less support amongst Tories than in MV 2.5 .

The government needs to face reality , it’s not happening and EU elections are unavoidable .
    Perhaps they are taking lessons from Cooper and Letwin. That was certainly legislative aggression unseen in Parliament for many years if ever. They have shown the way to ride roughshod over procedure and perhaps the Government should follow suit.
    Except Cooper and Letwin was a short one page Bill . The WAIB won’t be that simple , it will cover in detail the role of the ECJ , financial obligations etc . MPs will be able to amend it aswell as the timetable . The government refuses to accept reality and is digging a deep hole for itself which is par for the course given the events of the last year .
    Who cares. The effect was the same. Passing law without proper scrutiny to achieve partisan ends. Where Cooper and Letwin led I would not be surprised to see the Government follow. And with the precedents set by Bercow recently I am sure there are going to be a lot more innovative ways found to screw over the system going forward. The Remainiacs have broken Parliament for their own short term gain but it will come back to bite them.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 10,991

tlg86 said:

Question regarding the EU elections. What's the point of no return for our participation in them? If the WA was passed before 23 May would the elections just not happen?

In practice I think we're already past the point of no return because ratification also requires the legislation to pass. The EU parliament term ends on the 18th so there's no time for them to vote on the WA either.
    Actually, I hadn't noticed before that last week's EU Council statement says we have to hold Euro elections "If the United Kingdom is still a Member State on 23-26 May 2019, and if it has not ratified the Withdrawal Agreement by 22 May 2019." So apparently we'd be excused provided we had ratified the WA, even if other people hadn't. That's the same line Downing Street is taking, according to BBC reports of Jeremy Hunt's comments today.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,812

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:
    This is what I alluded to earlier . The government simply doesn’t have the time to push through the WAIB .

The Lords has no incentive to speed things up and MPs won’t appreciate being rushed , the Bill is likely to cause a major meltdown in the Tory party . There’s likely to be even less support amongst Tories than in MV 2.5 .

The government needs to face reality , it’s not happening and EU elections are unavoidable .
    Perhaps they are taking lessons from Cooper and Letwin. That was certainly legislative aggression unseen in Parliament for many years if ever. They have shown the way to ride roughshod over procedure and perhaps the Government should follow suit.
    But if the government wants to ride roughshod over procedures it needs to have the votes to do so. Which it hasn't got.
    One side or another will have in the future and the current bunch of idiots have set a fine set of precedents on how to behave in the future.

Your new look UKIP:

Isnt that a bit what twitter was like in the early days? In which clueless journalists looking for a good story would try to hold the person who made a tweet responsible for the comments put underneath it?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Caused Cunard no end of trouble when she ad-libbed launching the QE2....
    edited April 2019

DavidL said:

isam said:

‘I notice that the right honourable Gentleman hasn’t welcomed...’

“LONDON (AP) — Brexit may be causing all sorts of uncertainty in Britain but it doesn’t seem to be putting off foreign investors.

In a survey on corporate deal-making published Monday, consulting and accounting firm EY says Britain is the top investment destination in the world for the first time in the report’s 10-year history — overtaking the United States, which has held the top spot since 2014.”

https://apnews.com/c879be500904499a97f751ff40916c31

I'm a leaver but I don't find much to celebrate about UK based companies being bought up on the cheap by international conglomerates on the back of a weaker pound. Direct investment in new plant etc is certainly to be welcomed but buying up existing businesses simply means that more of the tax on the profits is likely to be paid elsewhere in future.

Foreign investment is also largely the other side of the coin from the trade deficit (since foreigners have excess Sterling). Our trade deficit is also nothing to boast about.

Looking at the domestic market I really don't think it is questionable that the pigs ear that our political class have made of Brexit will have discouraged and delayed further investment here. It really is important that our politicians stop the nonsense.

Yep. We were bought by a US private equity house. It's a great time to be buying UK businesses. But day to day business investment in the UK has very badly stalled over the last year and a half.

The uncertainty has become worse than the actual (in)decision.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,699
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Nope she is Queen Elizabeth the second of Scotland. Scotland / England take the higher number from England / Scotland when calculating the number see https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13719651.why-it-is-correct-to-refer-to-our-monarch-as-elizabeth-ii-even-north-of-the-border/
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The real reason Boeing's new plane crashed twice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tuKiiznsY

Thanks, that's really interesting. With respect to Boeing's solution, one worries that by making the MCAS less aggressive they increase the risk of the plane stalling on takeoff, unless pilots are properly trained to handle that risk themselves.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,303
    Not that long ago the Tories had unfeasably large leads. Labour's new leads are not as unfeasable, but a pinch of salt seems not unreasonable.
    malcolmg said:

Just thinking - could we end up in a situation where we pull out of the EU elections after postal votes have already been cast?

Fat chance we are in for a long time
    If it were not locking in even tiny amounts for a long time I'd think betting on any MEPs serving a full term would be a decent bet.
    TGOHF said:

Renew winding up operations and becoming part of Change UK

Never heard of them .
    Hence the winding up no doubt, but it is a reasonable name.

RoyalBlue said:

Hitler seemed to have consistently conflated "England" for the UK (or Empire).
    He also conflated Germany with most of mainland Europe.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,916
    Mr. Notme, unsurprising.

At least with a bad decision you can get on with things and try to improve them. With no decision you can't plan or take action because you don't know what the future holds.

It's why death is so feared. Death, and the enormo-haddock. No-one knows where they will strike next!

Except me, of course.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,775

TGOHF said:

Renew winding up operations and becoming part of Change UK

Never heard of them .
    They got 3.7% at the Newport west by. A few behind the greens
    Owen Who? :lol:
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 8,989
    So the 6 month delay to Brexit has smashed the Tories in the polls. We were all expecting this right?
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Your language is English, not "British" :trollface:
    notme2 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Hitler seemed to have consistently conflated "England" for the UK (or Empire).
    He also conflated Germany with most of mainland Europe.
    But check out his speeches, man!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,744
    edited April 2019

Aren't the Iranians still digesting Boris' 'apology and withdrawal"? I suspect that statement still causes suspicion in some at least Iranian minds.

Yes, which I imagine would make it even sweeter for Hunt* if he can get her out. It would make a striking contrast with the mess his predecessor, and we assume rival for the leadership, Boris Johnson, made of the same situation.

* Would be great news for the Ratcliffes too, obviously, but I'm just looking at the domestic political angle here.

And further along those lines, what would help some of the other main candidates? I can certainly think of something for Sajid Javid.

Shamima Begum is in the news again, a non too popular young lady, and therefore a golden opportunity for the Home Secretary. I envisage a personal trip out to Syria, arrest her, and bring her back in chains, the two of them walking down the steps from the plane, both looking grim, wrists cuffed together. He has been drifting badly in the next Tory leader market recently, but something like that could turn it all around.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,543
    eek said:

For anyone thinking of buying any Uber shares in their forthcoming IPO

https://twitter.com/bytebot/status/1117323665865969664

That’s brilliant! Also has the benefit of being utterly correct.

So the 6 month delay to Brexit has smashed the Tories in the polls. We were all expecting this right?

Eh, maybe - I don't know how their open civil war had not lead to a hit in the polls before then, but I guess something snapped once the delay actually occurred, particularly as those most to blame blamed the government for being forced into this by parliament, that is showing weakness.
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Nope she is Queen Elizabeth the second of Scotland. Scotland / England take the higher number from England / Scotland when calculating the number see https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/13719651.why-it-is-correct-to-refer-to-our-monarch-as-elizabeth-ii-even-north-of-the-border/
    That's quite amusing that it has caused such consternation.
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

So the next James would be James VIII ?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,952
    The Euro elections are key. I'm assuming that the Tories will be marmalised (following marmalisation in the locals) and that there will be a number of Brexit and Chuk MEPS.

There could be two consequences:

1. A few ERG MPs could defect to the Brexit party, together with some of their activists. If the Brexit party does spectacularly well in the Euros, these MPs could support a VONC in the government for a GE that changes the parliamentary arithmetic.

2. If Labour has clearly put a second referendum in their Euro manifesto, then Tiggers, who are mainly driven by the desire for a second referendum would also support a VONC, particularly if Chuk have done well in the Euros.

This would lead to a GE in June/July, a minority Labour government with C&S from SNP and LD keeping them honest, referendum in October and revoke on 31 October.

I think we were all surprised that the Tories were not already smashed in the polls.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,101
    edited April 2019
    RoyalBlue said:

And welcome to Eurovision 2019, where we've just heard from the British entry "in most foreign languages Britain is England" Can we have your votes please?

Paris: Royaume Uni, nil points
    Berlin: Vereinigtes Konigsreich, nil points
    Madrid: Reinos Unidos, nil points
    Rome: Regno Unido, nil points

(If you'd said "most foreign people use the word for England when speaking of Britain", I'd've believed you... :) )
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

It is the same in Spanish, Portuguese and Persian. I think in Russian also but you’ll have to check with @Dura_Ace
    notme2 said:

Your new look UKIP:

Isnt that a bit what twitter was like in the early days? In which clueless journalists looking for a good story would try to hold the person who made a tweet responsible for the comments put underneath it?
    I heard this morning that they were prosecuting someone who had photographed a model of Grenfell Tower burning for a tasteless tweet. It could be my misremembering but I don't think there's been a time in the recent past when saying we live in a free country has sounded as hollow.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,650
    RoyalBlue said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

It is the same in Spanish, Portuguese and Persian. I think in Russian also but you’ll have to check with @Dura_Ace
    In Spanish there's Inglaterra and Gran Bretaña. In Russian, Angliya and Velikobritaniya. They're not the same.
    viewcode said:

RoyalBlue said:

And welcome to Eurovision 2019, where we've just heard from the British entry "in most foreign languages Britain is England" Can we have your votes please?

(If you'd said "most foreign people use the word for England when speaking of Britain", I'd've believed you... :) )
    I meant in common parlance. Naturally most languages have a noun for kingdom and an adjective for united!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,101
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

For Scotland they always use Ecosse. They ask if you are English with lip curled up but change and smile when you say no Je suis Ecosse
    That's because you are in Berlin but speaking French... :)
    edited April 2019
    Sajid Javid said he's not afraid to admit that he's stayed up until the early hours when he heard the key turn in his door......

I was right. He is a vampire.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,699
    Notre Dame is on fire...
    eek said:

Notre Dame is on fire...

Looks bad.

https://twitter.com/malotru3/status/1117837105261051904
    edited April 2019

Thanks, that's really interesting. With respect to Boeing's solution, one worries that by making the MCAS less aggressive they increase the risk of the plane stalling on takeoff, unless pilots are properly trained to handle that risk themselves.
    The issue isn’t actually the MCAS system itself, rather that it uses the input of a single angle-of-attack sensor on the outside of the aircraft. Faulty data from this sensor caused the software to over-react in the two accident flights.

Obviously a plane shouldn’t have a single source of anything that could result in flight control movements, so the proposed software update is to cross-reference the AoA sensor input against other primary and derived sources of AoA that the plane has available, in order to ensure that the MCAS is working from good data. It also plans to alert pilots aurally and visually to the activation of the MCAS system, and to include more information on this system in the differences training pilots receive before flying the new version of the plane.

Well done to Vox on their video though, that’s one of the most succinct descriptions of the problem I’ve seen for a general audience. Mainstream media is traditionally really crap at making highly technical subjects easy to understand.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,341

What worries me is that their processes and culture were so utterly fubared in the first place: they cannot really guarantee any 'fix' if they're using those same processes: and processes are difficult to change in such a culture.

In addition, Boeing have admitted they've found another fault (in flaps and flight control) that the FAA has determined to be critical. Remember: this was only found because of the MCAS mess.

What other dragons lie asleep in their software?
    RoyalBlue said:

viewcode said:

RoyalBlue said:

I meant in common parlance. Naturally most languages have a noun for kingdom and an adjective for united!
    So you meant most foreigners, not most foreign languages? Even Barack Obama said that Brexit negotiations would be between England and the EU.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

Except Cooper and Letwin was a short one page Bill . The WAIB won’t be that simple , it will cover in detail the role of the ECJ , financial obligations etc . MPs will be able to amend it aswell as the timetable . The government refuses to accept reality and is digging a deep hole for itself which is par for the course given the events of the last year .
    Who cares. The effect was the same. Passing law without proper scrutiny to achieve partisan ends. Where Cooper and Letwin led I would not be surprised to see the Government follow. And with the precedents set by Bercow recently I am sure there are going to be a lot more innovative ways found to screw over the system going forward. The Remainiacs have broken Parliament for their own short term gain but it will come back to bite them.
    The standing orders of the house belong to the Commons and not the government . This issue has arisen only because the government doesn’t have a majority . MPs were forced to act because of the seriousness of the issue . Bercow has more power than usual because of the lack of a majority , it’s not his fault May blew a twenty point lead . Equally the government has been attempting to act as if it had a huge majority . At every turn it has tried to avoid scrutiny and a say for MPs . They decided to take back control !

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

Caused Cunard no end of trouble when she ad-libbed launching the QE2....
    Indeed. As it happens I was on the QE2 last weekend - she’s now a floating hotel in the sandpit.
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Dems seem to have a problem supporting female and ethnic minority candidates....

If Sanders wins their last 3 candidates will have (not in order) been Jewish, Black and a woman. Doesn't seem too bad a record.
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Scott_P said:

The standing orders of the house belong to the Commons and not the government . This issue has arisen only because the government doesn’t have a majority . MPs were forced to act because of the seriousness of the issue . Bercow has more power than usual because of the lack of a majority , it’s not his fault May blew a twenty point lead . Equally the government has been attempting to act as if it had a huge majority . At every turn it has tried to avoid scrutiny and a say for MPs . They decided to take back control !
    And did nothing with it other than play for time unfortunately.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,696

RoyalBlue said:

"Igirisu" is just another Japanese corruption of a foreign word meaning "[the] English". Note the Kanji used means Kingdom of the English.
    Thanks.

A corruption of the Portugese for English I read. There's also Eikoku with it's own kanji which I assume is the more formal translation of UK.

I'm still on tenterhooks for a list of those 'most foreign languages' in which 'Britain is England.'

What worries me is that their processes and culture were so utterly fubared in the first place: they cannot really guarantee any 'fix' if they're using those same processes: and processes are difficult to change in such a culture.

In addition, Boeing have admitted they've found another fault (in flaps and flight control) that the FAA has determined to be critical. Remember: this was only found because of the MCAS mess.

What other dragons lie asleep in their software?
    The FAA have completely screwed up here.

Unless and until they can prove they’ve changed their system of regulation of Boeing, other regulatory authorities around the world are going want to do their own certification of US planes - rather than accepting the FAA certification as being good, which is what they do at the moment.
    edited April 2019

RoyalBlue said:

viewcode said:

RoyalBlue said:

So you meant most foreigners, not most foreign languages? Even Barack Obama said that Brexit negotiations would be between England and the EU.
    Still, he managed 'back of the queue' rather than 'back of the line'. Well done Barack! And of course he was right about it being England doing the negotiating, crappily as they're managing it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,604
    edited April 2019
    Labour on average is polling no better than Kinnock did in 1992, the main problem for the Tories is their voters who have defected to the Brexit Party or UKIP

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1117399434059554821?s=20
    Looks like there’s scaffolding around the area that’s on fire - obviously some work in progress there. Hope they’ve got lots of water available.
    https://twitter.com/fraser_rush/status/1117838100393287680

RoyalBlue said:

viewcode said:

RoyalBlue said:

Still, he managed 'back of the queue' rather than 'back of the line'. Well done Barack!
    Well he was reading from a script of course so it was easy. Or something like that.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,932

Awful. :(

twitter.com/ccasacub/status/1117836234045321216?s=21

~800 years old.... sad times
    Sandpit said:

Looks like there’s scaffolding around the area that’s on fire - obviously some work in progress there. Hope they’ve got lots of water available.

Renovation/rebuilding work and old buildings doesn't seem to mix. :(
    https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1117835744826015747

The all important AOC endorsement, maybe it isn't quite that but definitely good news for Bernie. I'm sure Warren will be glad to get a mention as well. Not too good for Biden though.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 59,942
    edited April 2019
    I haven't been posting much recently as I am concentrating on getting my diabetes under control with weight loss and exercise. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2009 and to date have not required medication but as is so often the case, I took liberties with bread, biscuits, chocolates, cakes and fizzy drinks and need to regain control. Have lost 1 stone in last three weeks so doing ok so far.

As for politics I have decided to let it all flow over me for a while, and while I do lurk from time to time, I am not posting as frequently but rest assured it is not because I am upset or out of sorts with anyone, it is just maybe time for a little rest

I have not gone away folks
    Dreadful news about Notre Dame.

Despite the separation of church and state in 1905, the state still owns France’s cathedrals. I don’t expect Macron to skimp on the repairs.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,604

The all important AOC endorsement, maybe it isn't quite that but definitely good news for Bernie. I'm sure Warren will be glad to get a mention as well. Not too good for Biden though.

The Democratic Party looks to be following the Labour Party in heading left
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Splitters have moved to a new thread.
  • Sandpit said:

Renovation/rebuilding work and old buildings doesn't seem to mix. :(
    Isn't Westminster due for a refurb soon?

I haven't been posting much recently as I am concentrating on getting my diabetes under control with weight loss and exercise. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2009 and to date have not required medication but as is so often the case, I took liberties with bread, biscuits, chocolates, cakes and fizzy drinks and need to regain control. Have lost 1 stone in last three weeks so doing ok so far.

As for politics I have decided to let it all flow over me for a while, and while I do lurk from time to time, I am not posting as frequently but rest assured it is not because I am upset or out of sorts with anyone, it is just maybe time for a little rest

Good luck, Mr G. I think most of us go through those feelings at times...

All the best Big G, in a sort of different place in life but I found exercise and improving my diet made a really positive difference, just feel so much better physically and mentally. So hope you stick with it and enjoy the rewards!
    HYUFD said:

Here's hoping...
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

HYUFD said:

Here's hoping...
    After 40 years of drifting steadily right, opinion in general is beginning to swing back the other way.
    Sandpit said:

The issue isn’t actually the MCAS system itself, rather that it uses the input of a single angle-of-attack sensor on the outside of the aircraft. Faulty data from this sensor caused the software to over-react in the two accident flights.

Obviously a plane shouldn’t have a single source of anything that could result in flight control movements, so the proposed software update is to cross-reference the AoA sensor input against other primary and derived sources of AoA that the plane has available, in order to ensure that the MCAS is working from good data. It also plans to alert pilots aurally and visually to the activation of the MCAS system, and to include more information on this system in the differences training pilots receive before flying the new version of the plane.

Well done to Vox on their video though, that’s one of the most succinct descriptions of the problem I’ve seen for a general audience. Mainstream media is traditionally really crap at making highly technical subjects easy to understand.
    Late to the party, but AIUI MCAS is the issue - or at least part of it. The MCAS system has far too much authority over the elevator, and can be triggered multiple times. This appears to be rather different to how Being told the FAA it worked.

HYUFD said:

Here's hoping...
    After 40 years of drifting steadily right, opinion in general is beginning to swing back the other way.
    I'd 40 years of leftward drift, I should be coming close to the end before we get the shift back.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

HYUFD said:

Here's hoping...
    I'd 40 years of leftward drift, I should be coming close to the end before we get the shift back.
    Not sure if it is cyclical thing. In the post war period left wing policies did seem to work. But they weren't doing so well be the seventies. And changes in technology seem to be undermining a lot of the assumptions of right wing thinking now.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    HYUFD said:
    Renew are linked to the EPP. Does this mean the Tiggers will sit with the centre right Christian Democrat grouping in Brussels aka Merkel and Juncker?

HYUFD said:

Here's hoping...
    Making a Trump victory even more likely.
    Trump's Question to Americans: Are you better off now than you were four years ago?
    brendan16 said:

HYUFD said:
    Renew are linked to the EPP. Does this mean the Tiggers will sit with the centre right Christian Democrat grouping in Brussels aka Merkel and Juncker?
    Renew don't actually have any MEPs :lol:
    HYUFD said:

The Dems are yet to join the Progressive Alliance.
This discussion has been closed.