Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination 37 year old

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    The bet which has increased in value the most for the 2020 election right now is being on the opposite side of this piece...

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/12/15/after-a-terrible-week-for-the-white-house-trump-drops-to-just-a-61-chance-in-the-wh2020-nomination-betting/
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

I wonder if the rebuilding of Notre Dame will require most of the skilled stoneworkers and woodworkers from the EU? Stonework in particular is very time-consuming to carve.

(ISTR an automated stone-carving system for freestone; essentially takes a CAD output and does either all the carving, or the majority leaving thee final touches to human hand. But I can't find a link immediately.)

Wouldn’t work for somewhere this iconic.
    They’re using it for la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which has advanced its completion date from the middle of the next century to the middle of the next decade.
    My French cousin trained as a cathedral stonemason so I have an interest!
    If he’s French I suspect he stands a decent chance of prevailing over automation!
    She... 😆
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sloppy conjugaison but a decent accent especially on the vowel sounds which few Anglos get anywhere close to right.
    In my limited experience gays tend to have better than average linguistic abilities. One theory is that a lifetime spent being hypersensitive to the words and behaviours of others and oneself (to avoid being discovered/attacked) makes one more likely to pick up on the small differences of spoken language that others miss. Perhaps it has something to do with differences in the brain.

Anyway, good to hear an Anglophone politician at least making the effort.
    Anglophone? I thought he was an American?
    Be nice :tongue:
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Blue, there's a quartet of prefrontal nuclei within the brain (I forget the precise name for them, alas) which are smaller in women than men, and smaller in gay men than straight men. Gay men are also likelier than straight men to have eating disorders, and (though I can't, alas, remember specifics) have a reputation for being more creative in areas like music and art. Superior language capabilities would entirely fit within that general area.

Obviously I'm just talking about large population averages, but it's an interesting thing to consider. Well, I think so.

Mr. Blue, there's a quartet of prefrontal nuclei within the brain (I forget the precise name for them, alas) which are smaller in women than men, and smaller in gay men than straight men. Gay men are also likelier than straight men to have eating disorders, and (though I can't, alas, remember specifics) have a reputation for being more creative in areas like music and art. Superior language capabilities would entirely fit within that general area.

Obviously I'm just talking about large population averages, but it's an interesting thing to consider. Well, I think so.

I knew someone on here would have something to add.

What a great resource this site is.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sloppy conjugaison but a decent accent especially on the vowel sounds which few Anglos get anywhere close to right.
    In my limited experience gays tend to have better than average linguistic abilities. One theory is that a lifetime spent being hypersensitive to the words and behaviours of others and oneself (to avoid being discovered/attacked) makes one more likely to pick up on the small differences of spoken language that others miss. Perhaps it has something to do with differences in the brain.

The biggest predictor of language ability is being exposed to other languages in childhood. Hearing different sounds that young allows the brain to remember them which is much much harder to do when older.
    Mr, Blue, ha, thanks, just half-remembered stuff from university days (studied psychology). There's probably a bit more I could look up in Wickens, and Rosenzweig, if you'd like.

Now I come to think of it, risk aversion might be interesting for political thinking too.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Scott_P said:
    Perhaps we should start entertaining the notion that Brexit has driven Farage stark raving mad.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    ydoethur said:

RoyalBlue said:

Dura_Ace said:

Anglophone? I thought he was an American?
    Son of a Maltese literary academic and translator, which perhaps goes some way to explain his language skills.
    Mr. Dawning, ironically, having driven the agenda to achieve the referendum, Farage himself may now be an impediment to us leaving the EU.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

Scott_P said:
    Perhaps we should start entertaining the notion that Brexit has driven Farage stark raving mad.
    That implies he was sane beforehand.
    isam said:

Haven’t read it, but it’s about polling so people may be interested

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1117735051230314497?s=21

Here's the full article:
    https://ucl-brexit.blog/2019/04/12/a-general-election-is-looking-more-likely-what-are-the-implications-for-the-two-main-parties/

The data on those who have changed their minds is interesting.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Scott_P said:

Driven?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Blooming Turkish immigrants, coming over here and building our monuments. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47938188

That’s just a derivation of the old Celtic migration theory

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.
    Yes, but evidence is already well established & I think the theory is pretty commonly accepted now.

The BBC is getting breathlessly excited about old news (and the Stonehenge angle is marginal to the story despite being the headline). The earliest megaliths are In the coastal regions of Galicia and Brittany (Carnac being the best known) so it’s not surprising that they spread north from there to the UK.
    In that case they spread in a somewhat irregular way; Callanish in the far NW of these isles is 500 years older than Stonehenge.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Hard Zionism is an enemy of peace.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Callanish in the far NW of these isles is 500 years older than Stonehenge.

And damn fine it is too
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547

The final sentence of this looks significant to me (though less so since the speaker will be out of power shortly):

https://twitter.com/Mina_Andreeva/status/1118052136032587776

Even though Juncker himself will shortly step down I very much doubt his successors, or the EU in general, will decide to kick the UK out. France will huff and puff but Ireland will be implacably opposed and no one will want to be seen to eject a member state because of the precedent that such an action would create.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    tlg86 said:
    +1. You just need to look at Bradford, Middlesbrough, Calderdale and even Bromley to see the issue.

Anyone with money wishes to be part of the EU, the have nots thanks to Austerity and immigration are the people who wish to leave.

And that makes the Tories desire to leave the EU insane as their core voters are not the people who voted to leave..
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Driven?
    Not mad. Just cynically using the betrayal narrative straight out of the 'stab in the back' school of politics to further his own agenda.

He is found a way to keep this going now, even if some form of Brexit is delivered. It is now all about democracy being stolen from the precious people.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

Here's the full article:
    https://ucl-brexit.blog/2019/04/12/a-general-election-is-looking-more-likely-what-are-the-implications-for-the-two-main-parties/

"However, when we look at how voters in each party voted in 2016 by region, it is clear that even in heavily Leave voting areas, the majority of Labour voters were Remainers."

It is, and we seem to be polarising further, with less scope for compromise. Labour losing its middle class Remain voters to LD, Green, PC and SNP is quite interesring. It won't be easy for Corbyn to get them back.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Charles said:

Charles said:

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.
    Yes, but evidence is already well established & I think the theory is pretty commonly accepted now.

The BBC is getting breathlessly excited about old news (and the Stonehenge angle is marginal to the story despite being the headline). The earliest megaliths are In the coastal regions of Galicia and Brittany (Carnac being the best known) so it’s not surprising that they spread north from there to the UK.
    In that case they spread in a somewhat irregular way; Callanish in the far NW of these isles is 500 years older than Stonehenge.
    It used to be much easier to get around by sea than by land.
    Scott_P said:

And damn fine it is too
    Good cafe too!
    Scott_P said:
    Best retort is from Tim, formerly of this parish:
    http://www.twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/1118065824319856641
    kinabalu said:

Hard Zionism is an enemy of peace.

Even if that is true, the issue is he lied about having said it.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I wonder if the rebuilding of Notre Dame will require most of the skilled stoneworkers and woodworkers from the EU? Stonework in particular is very time-consuming to carve.

(ISTR an automated stone-carving system for freestone; essentially takes a CAD output and does either all the carving, or the majority leaving thee final touches to human hand. But I can't find a link immediately.)

Wouldn’t work for somewhere this iconic.
    They’re using it for la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which has advanced its completion date from the middle of the next century to the middle of the next decade.
    My French cousin trained as a cathedral stonemason so I have an interest!
    If he’s French I suspect he stands a decent chance of prevailing over automation!
    She... 😆
    A lady Frenchman.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2019
    it might be become one of those great biblical battles between good and evil. The young intelligent enlightened Mayor Pete versus the wizened reactionary bigoted Trump.

........A sort of parable for Brexit
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Just what the HoC needs.....another speaker fond of the sound of his own voice:

https://twitter.com/theHouse_mag/status/1118054229824942082

Charles said:

Charles said:

It is quite striking how some of our best neolithic remains are coastal. Orkney, Hebrides, Scilly Isles, West coast of Ireland. Maybe some of the land based ones have been lost, but it must have been quite a nautical culture. Iberian fisherfolk are nothing new!
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

Here's the full article:

"However, when we look at how voters in each party voted in 2016 by region, it is clear that even in heavily Leave voting areas, the majority of Labour voters were Remainers."

It is, and we seem to be polarising further, with less scope for compromise. Labour losing its middle class Remain voters to LD, Green, PC and SNP is quite interesring. It won't be easy for Corbyn to get them back.
    True - but there is a general assumption that Leave voters actually vote in other elections. I suspect that isn't the case which will come as a nasty surprise to the Tory party as they force their current supporters elsewhere.
    eek said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

Here's the full article:

True - but there is a general assumption that Leave voters actually vote in other elections. I suspect that isn't the case which will come as a nasty surprise to the Tory party as they force their current supporters elsewhere.
    I agree, it will be hard for the Tories to hold on to those Brexit voters annoyed by the running down of their localities.

Charles said:

Charles said:

I guess, also the climate was more temperate I think making these places more attractive to settle; loadsa fish and a bit of sun.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

It is quite striking how some of our best neolithic remains are coastal. Orkney, Hebrides, Scilly Isles, West coast of Ireland. Maybe some of the land based ones have been lost, but it must have been quite a nautical culture. Iberian fisherfolk are nothing new!
    As Mr M rightly says, coastal travel...... on the water, but hugging the coast...... was much better, and safer, than travelling by land. No hostile (or hungry) large animals, no thick vegetation to hack through. Getting out of sight of land is more problematic but the Polynesians, who also had no written language, managed it.
    edited April 2019
    Roger said:

it might be become one of those great biblical battles between good and evil. The young intelligent enlightened Mayor Pete versus the wizened reactionary bigoted Trump.

........A sort of parable for Brexit

I'm lazily attracted to Hegelian synthesis, and Mayor Pete is certainly the antithesis of the Trump thesis (who in turn was the antithesis of Obama). A period of boring syntheses would be quite welcome.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Charles said:

Charles said:

Yes - now Irish exporters prefer the Uk taxpayer funded motorways of England rather than building their own ports and ships.

The delicious carcinogenic fumes are a joyus benefit of the EU.
    Pulpstar said:
    Not sure this is the kind of thing they'll want for Notre Dame...

Coventry Cathedral -from above-8
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    eek said:

tlg86 said:
    +1. You just need to look at Bradford, Middlesbrough, Calderdale and even Bromley to see the issue.

Anyone with money wishes to be part of the EU, the have nots thanks to Austerity and immigration are the people who wish to leave.

And that makes the Tories desire to leave the EU insane as their core voters are not the people who voted to leave..
    Conservative governments aren't elected by their 'core voters'.

They are elected by the C2s.

Core voters, of whichever party, vote for that party but parties only win elections by winning over non-core voters.

And its safe to say that the Conservatives didn't win in Mansfield and Walsall North from the support of their local 'core voters'.
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:

And damn fine it is too
    Still easier to get to than than to what is now S. Wiltshire! To the west there are the forests and swamps of 'Gloucestershire' before you hit the high plains. To the South you've similar in what is now Hampshire.
    Mr. B, *that's* Coventry Cathedral?!

Looks bloody awful.

Imagine a Norman coming forward in time 800 years, seeing that and thinking "What the hell happened to architecture?"
    Mr. Divvie, that's ultra-cool.
    Totally O/t, but can anyone techie explain why this site it described as 'not secure' in my menu bar?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Totally O/t, but can anyone techie explain why this site it described as 'not secure' in my menu bar?

Full of leavers.

But no.
    King Cole, I tend to use the Vanilla forum now and, usually, the first page is listed as not secure, and second onwards as secure. My own blogs usually appear 'not secure' as well. Not sure why.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    I made the mistake of going on twitter...conspiracy theories galore about the fire, from the obvious terrorist attack to a deep state operation to kill off the yellow vest movement.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,745
    Morning all :)

Re: Paris - it's all been said and felt. It's part of the cycle of human history, Construction, destruction, reconstruction. Our story, the statement of who we were, are and aspire to be. The beat of our times and the worst of them, our buildings stand as testament to us.

The emotional journey too and the challenge, the eternal challenge to improve to be more than we were and all we can be.

Perhaps also a recognition some places transcend national boundaries and cultures and are part of us all.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    No US UK trade deal if the Good Friday Agreement is weakened .

Good on Nancy Pelosi for making this clear.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It is http not https. The difference is that if you decided to post your credit card details or banking passwords on the site they could be intercepted en route to the site under http but not https. As you will presumably only be posting things which you are happy for the world to see anyway, it makes very little odds.

I made the mistake of going on twitter...conspiracy theories galore about the fire, from the obvious terrorist attack to a deep state operation to kill off the yellow vest movement.

Personally I see it as a distraction op to take people's attention away from the removal of the word 'Easter' from chocolate confectionery.
    TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Yes - now Irish exporters prefer the Uk taxpayer funded motorways of England rather than building their own ports and ships.

The delicious carcinogenic fumes are a joyus benefit of the EU.
    Yes, international trade is a bad thing...
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It looks like a crematorium. Hideous.
    edited April 2019
    Mr. Divvie, speaking of confectionery, any Dorsetians (Dorsetites? Dorsetonians?) who like fudge might want to visit this new shop (opened by someone I know online), which sells said fudge. And also gifts. But fudge is better.

https://twitter.com/HollyBlueDorset

Edited extra bit: I did ask about this, there currently isn't online selling but they plan to set that up in the future. For selfless reasons, I'm thinking of buying myself some coffee fudge. And milk chocolate fudge.
    edited April 2019

Presumably you're using Chrome. This is due to Google's ploy of naming and shaming sites still using the old unencrypted HTTP protocol.

Mr. B, *that's* Coventry Cathedral?!

Looks bloody awful.

Imagine a Norman coming forward in time 800 years, seeing that and thinking "What the hell happened to architecture?"

Near me there was, until the early 60's a beautiful, if somewhat unsafe, house in the town centre, which itself dates from the 15th Century. It became very unsafe and was pulled down to be replaced by the most horrible block of shops and flats in 'Stalinist brutalist' style. It is believed locally that current students of architecture are brought to the town and threatened with dire penalties if they even consider doing such a thing when in practice.

Presumably you're using Chrome. This is due to Google's ploy of naming and shaming sites still using the old unencrypted HTTP protocol.
    No; Safari.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe we could ask the GAF to scramble a few Tornados from TaktLwG 33 and bomb it flat for us again.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It looks better from the ground level & inside, honest !
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It’s absolutely revolting. Why are we in hock to the people who design such monstrosities?

No; Safari.
    Looks like Safari have followed suit:

https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/apple-safari-http-warning/
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Eldest son's graduation ceremony took place there 30-odd years ago. Very, very impressive inside.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It's fine, without being amazing, inside. The stained glass is great.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It was built in the postwar boom time, a time when people still believed in the future.

Buildings being mocked as hideous for the first century of their existence is par for the course, before a more balanced view. Victorian gothic, Edwardian Mock Tudor, spring to mind.
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Coventry is not the most beautiful of cities since it was rebuilt.

The highlight of the city centre is a large IKEA....

No; Safari.
    Looks like Safari have followed suit:

https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/apple-safari-http-warning/
    Much obliged.
    Mr. Blue, there's a pair of buildings on the way into Leeds, near the Big Yellow Storage place, that make me think of 1984.

As an aside, Leeds has some rather nice architecture, but it's share of concrete monstrosities too. There's also a church (maybe Trinity, not sure) that's very Gotham City.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited April 2019

No; Safari.
    It’s actually nothing to worry about, but browsers are trying to help you identify sites that don’t use the new encrypted https protocol, rather the original http standard. Https has become more common in recent years, but it’s not really required unless you’re doing banking or commerce on a site.

Probably best not to use the same password for PB that you use for other websites though, as it’s transmitted through the internet in plain text when you log in. Using different passwords for each site is good practice anyway, in case of sites being hacked.

http://osxdaily.com/2019/03/29/safari-not-secure-website-ios-mac/

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Agreed - but as a contribution to the built environment, it is significantly in deficit.
    edited April 2019
    Dr. Foxy, I'm sure some things get better with age.

But that doesn't mean everything* condemned now doesn't deserve it.

Edited extra bit: *some of the everything, of course.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Bricks and mortar reflecting social change
    Cracks in the pavement reveal cravings for success
    Why do we try to hide our past
    By pulling down houses and build car parks?
    Windows and mirrors like a two-way glass
    This is progress, nothing stands in its path
    Yellow bulldozers, the donkey jackets, and J.C.B.'s
    While hundreds are homeless, they're constructing a parking space
    Why do they have to knock them down
    And leave the site dormant for months on end?
    Who has the right to make that choice?
    A man whose home has cost forty grand
    Tell me!
    Bricks and mortar, bricks and mortar
    Knock 'em down!

(There has been significant house price inflation since Paul Weller composed those lyrics!)
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I'd say it was St Mary's Guildhall actually.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    T
    That ties in with other recent research . It’s Labour Leavers who have moved to Remain that have had the most impact . The Labour vote is becoming more strongly Remain and Corbyn et al need to wake up and back a confirmatory vote .

Bricks and mortar reflecting social change
    Cracks in the pavement reveal cravings for success
    Why do we try to hide our past
    By pulling down houses and build car parks?
    Windows and mirrors like a two-way glass
    This is progress, nothing stands in its path
    Yellow bulldozers, the donkey jackets, and J.C.B.'s
    While hundreds are homeless, they're constructing a parking space
    Why do they have to knock them down
    And leave the site dormant for months on end?
    Who has the right to make that choice?
    A man whose home has cost forty grand
    Tell me!
    Bricks and mortar, bricks and mortar
    Knock 'em down!

(There has been significant house price inflation since Paul Weller composed those lyrics!)

40 grand - Is it a maisonette in Barrow ?
    Sandpit said:

No; Safari.
    It’s actually nothing to worry about, but browsers are trying to help you identify sites that don’t use the new encrypted https protocol, rather the original http standard. Https has become more common in recent years, but it’s not really required unless you’re doing banking or commerce on a site.

Probably best not to use the same password for PB that you use for other websites though, as it’s transmitted through the internet in plain text when you log in. Using different passwords for each site is good practice anyway, in case of sites being hacked.

http://osxdaily.com/2019/03/29/safari-not-secure-website-ios-mac/
    Very grateful to Mr S, too. Actually, I rarely use the same password for different sites, unless they are sites where, like this, I'm never going to post any personal details.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Agreed - but as a contribution to the built environment, it is significantly in deficit.
    I walked in and thought "basilica" (the Imperial Roman sort), so in that way I thought it works very well. As does its juxtaposition with the ruins of the old.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

And people wondered why I wasn't inspired by my first graduation ceremony... Ghastly building.

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Eldest son's graduation ceremony took place there 30-odd years ago. Very, very impressive inside.
    I'll take your word for it.

When / if I become Mayor of London my main policy, other than smacking people, possibly with some specially designed object, maybe by a PB'er, who don't look where they are going because they are too busy looking at their phones and sighing deeply when people put chocolate on their coffee will be to insist that people beautify their front gardens. We all have to walk past them every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

People who put on make-up in the tube or perform other intimate grooming rituals will be banned until they learn to get up 15 minutes earlier and not leave the house until they are properly washed and dressed. Anyone wearing sandals in summer will be very strongly encouraged to have regular pedicures.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

And people wondered why I wasn't inspired by my first graduation ceremony... Ghastly building.
    Been to several such ceremonies now; good as anywhere and better than some. IIRC the Anglia Ruskin one was in a marquee.
  • Just watched the Burgon video. I had a conversation with a very angry local comrade last night who has chosen now- a few weeks before our all out local elections - to launch a war against "the right wing" - which definiteky includes me apparently. He is very upset that the right keep launching attacks to smear the left.

I have wry smile on my face knowing that the right wing lies he refers to, and the biased BBC he rants about is so obviously this clip of Budgon. How dare someone catch him lying like this? How dare someone prove he is a raging anti-semite? That he said it and is that isn't the issue. It's that they chose to talk about it for the sole purpose of smearing the blessed Jeremy Corbyn, peace be upon Him.

Win my seat, lose my seat. Regardless, shit is going down as soon as my post count hangover wears off.
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2019

A certificate could be put in place for sub $100.

I don't understand why it doesn't have one.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

You think that's bad? Try Aberystwyth Arts Centre where three of my four graduation ceremonies took place.

Admittedly it does boast a stunning view across Cardigan Bay.

https://images.app.goo.gl/RkJ6e6MnbF2UMjmz9

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I graduated in their in 1994 and couldn't disagree more. Boiling hot, no air con/windows, brutalist architecture. I know it was rebuilt at a time of limited money but Dresden shows the way to do it, not Coventry.
    Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

When / if I become Mayor of London my main policy, other than smacking people, possibly with some specially designed object, maybe by a PB'er, who don't look where they are going because they are too busy looking at their phones and sighing deeply when people put chocolate on their coffee will be to insist that people beautify their front gardens. We all have to walk past them every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

People who put on make-up in the tube or perform other intimate grooming rituals will be banned until they learn to get up 15 minutes earlier and not leave the house until they are properly washed and dressed. Anyone wearing sandals in summer will be very strongly encouraged to have regular pedicures.
    Toes are not visible if wearing socks. Not that I'd wear socks with sandals.
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I'd say it was St Mary's Guildhall actually.
    There are some fine buildings within the inner ring road, but mixed in with a depressing amount of utter dreck. And the inner ring road itself, for a city of Coventry's size, is utterly misconceived.

The site administrator is unpaid, and has what appears to be a demanding job and young family.

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Toes are not visible if wearing socks. Not that I'd wear socks with sandals.
    I'm glad to hear it. The sort of person who wears socks with sandals is the sort of person who would eat pineapple on pizza.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Been to several such ceremonies now; good as anywhere and better than some. IIRC the Anglia Ruskin one was in a marquee.
    I have a dog in the fight as I am involved, but Bath (Abbey until recently, and now Theatre Royal) are very good.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I have a dog in the fight as I am involved, but Bath (Abbey until recently, and now Theatre Royal) are very good.
    Bath University's architecture is errm err err...
    Nigelb said:

The site administrator is unpaid, and has what appears to be a demanding job and young family.
    Because it's a pile of work which takes time and could go wrong.

The certificate itself can be got for free (letsencrypt) but ensuring Vanilla keeps working makes things far more complex than it might otherwise be.

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I graduated in their in 1994 and couldn't disagree more. Boiling hot, no air con/windows, brutalist architecture. I know it was rebuilt at a time of limited money but Dresden shows the way to do it, not Coventry.
    Well, it wasn't a hot day, so maybe that helped. And of course, as proud parents we were in a very positive mood. Especially as, at the time, neither my wife or I had degrees, and nor had our parents.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

You can see the old Coventry Cathedral at bottom right.

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

My daughter had her graduation ceremony in the Barbican. I subsequently learnt that it was deliberately built in a way which made it difficult to find your way in so as to deter the riff raff and gangs of youths etc. A sort of artistic version of gated communities, a delightfully middle-class English hypocrisy ("Of course, this is for everyone (sotto voce: if they can find their way in)").

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Gloucester Cathedral is excellent, speaking as somebody who used to play for graduation ceremonies there.

If only the university wasn't so awful...
This discussion has been closed.