Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination 37 year old

Comments

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

Totally O/t, but can anyone techie explain why this site it described as 'not secure' in my menu bar?

Presumably you're using Chrome. This is due to Google's ploy of naming and shaming sites still using the old unencrypted HTTP protocol.
    No; Safari.
    It’s actually nothing to worry about, but browsers are trying to help you identify sites that don’t use the new encrypted https protocol, rather the original http standard. Https has become more common in recent years, but it’s not really required unless you’re doing banking or commerce on a site.

Probably best not to use the same password for PB that you use for other websites though, as it’s transmitted through the internet in plain text when you log in. Using different passwords for each site is good practice anyway, in case of sites being hacked.

http://osxdaily.com/2019/03/29/safari-not-secure-website-ios-mac/
    I want to change my PB password (my email was recently hacked), but I cannot see how to do it.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Another "improvement" was present Euston Station v. old Euston Station.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:
    Not sure this is the kind of thing they'll want for Notre Dame...

Coventry Cathedral -from above-8
    It looks like a crematorium. Hideous.
    And people wondered why I wasn't inspired by my first graduation ceremony... Ghastly building.
    Been to several such ceremonies now; good as anywhere and better than some. IIRC the Anglia Ruskin one was in a marquee.
    I have a dog in the fight as I am involved, but Bath (Abbey until recently, and now Theatre Royal) are very good.
    Bath University's architecture is errm err err...
    It is absolute eye soar, although to be fair there is now a lot of modern buildings now which are unremarkable in terms of architecture but less harsh on the eye.

Charles said:

Charles said:

Blooming Turkish immigrants, coming over here and building our monuments. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47938188

That’s just a derivation of the old Celtic migration theory

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.
    Yes, but evidence is already well established & I think the theory is pretty commonly accepted now.

The BBC is getting breathlessly excited about old news (and the Stonehenge angle is marginal to the story despite being the headline). The earliest megaliths are In the coastal regions of Galicia and Brittany (Carnac being the best known) so it’s not surprising that they spread north from there to the UK.
    In that case they spread in a somewhat irregular way; Callanish in the far NW of these isles is 500 years older than Stonehenge.
    Gobekli Tepe in Turkey dates from 11,600 years ago.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,723
    This story is intriguing:

Notre-Dame fire: Millions pledged to rebuild cathedral
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705

Would there not be a certain irony if having struggled for years to raise funds for urgent fabric repairs the French state (who are legally liable) have refused to pay for, the cathedral was saved due to the massive funds donated as a result of this fire?
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2019
    geoffw said:

I want to change my PB password (my email was recently hacked), but I cannot see how to do it.

Click on your name above one of your posts. Then the cog in the top-right corner --> Edit Profile --> Change My Password
    edited April 2019

Another "improvement" was present Euston Station v. old Euston Station.

Don't get me started on that. Tom Rolt should have waited five years before he described Churchward's decision to scrap North Star as 'unique in its crass stupidity.'
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It looks better from the ground level & inside, honest !
    Eldest son's graduation ceremony took place there 30-odd years ago. Very, very impressive inside.
    I'll take your word for it.

When / if I become Mayor of London my main policy, other than smacking people, possibly with some specially designed object, maybe by a PB'er, who don't look where they are going because they are too busy looking at their phones and sighing deeply when people put chocolate on their coffee will be to insist that people beautify their front gardens. We all have to walk past them every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

People who put on make-up in the tube or perform other intimate grooming rituals will be banned until they learn to get up 15 minutes earlier and not leave the house until they are properly washed and dressed. Anyone wearing sandals in summer will be very strongly encouraged to have regular pedicures.
    Toes are not visible if wearing socks. Not that I'd wear socks with sandals.
    I should hope not.

My other bugbear is women wearing thick opaque black tights with those silly little ballerina shoes, usually under some hideous coat. Also opaque tights with patent shoes. Just no. And men wearing suits that don't fit - especially those daft jackets that gape across the stomach under the one straining button. It makes them look like underpaid Edwardian bank clerks.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    With all this talk about "a new threat" of right wing terrorism - 20 years ago this month:

https://twitter.com/JamesClayton5/status/1118072216942469121

I'd only vaguely remembered the third attack as it had resulted in fatalities. At least the perpetrator cannot be released until 2050 at the earliest....
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

Totally O/t, but can anyone techie explain why this site it described as 'not secure' in my menu bar?

Presumably you're using Chrome. This is due to Google's ploy of naming and shaming sites still using the old unencrypted HTTP protocol.
    No; Safari.
    It’s actually nothing to worry about, but browsers are trying to help you identify sites that don’t use the new encrypted https protocol, rather the original http standard. Https has become more common in recent years, but it’s not really required unless you’re doing banking or commerce on a site.

Probably best not to use the same password for PB that you use for other websites though, as it’s transmitted through the internet in plain text when you log in. Using different passwords for each site is good practice anyway, in case of sites being hacked.

As a kludge you could sign out and pretend to have lost your password when signing back in.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    ydoethur said:
    That's a pretty impressive mockup in barely 12 hours.
    edited April 2019

ydoethur said:
    I was referring to his drinking, actually (or equivalent in chemical substances).
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    I was referring to his drinking, actually (or equivalent in chemical substances).
    well, yes.

Although I may have failed to realise the post is entirely satire, rather then merely a tongue in cheek joke.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Eldest son's graduation ceremony took place there 30-odd years ago. Very, very impressive inside.

When / if I become Mayor of London my main policy, other than smacking people, possibly with some specially designed object, maybe by a PB'er, who don't look where they are going because they are too busy looking at their phones and sighing deeply when people put chocolate on their coffee will be to insist that people beautify their front gardens. We all have to walk past them every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

People who put on make-up in the tube or perform other intimate grooming rituals will be banned until they learn to get up 15 minutes earlier and not leave the house until they are properly washed and dressed. Anyone wearing sandals in summer will be very strongly encouraged to have regular pedicures.
    I should hope not.

My other bugbear is women wearing thick opaque black tights with those silly little ballerina shoes, usually under some hideous coat. Also opaque tights with patent shoes. Just no. And men wearing suits that don't fit - especially those daft jackets that gape across the stomach under the one straining button. It makes them look like underpaid Edwardian bank clerks.
    I think if Alexei Sayle and Jacob Rees-Mogg swapped suits each would have perfectly fitting clothes.

geoffw said:

Click on your name above one of your posts. Then the cog in the top-right corner --> Edit Profile --> Change My Password
    Thanks TP but that doesn't work for me because I don't get a "Change My Password" option. Perhaps it's the browser (I use Firefox) - I'll try with another browser.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    Great PR even obscure political websites in the UK are talking about it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Nigelb said:

A certificate could be put in place for sub $100.

I don't understand why it doesn't have one.
    The site administrator is unpaid, and has what appears to be a demanding job and young family.
    And getting the certificated site up and running is definitely one of those jobs that falls into the category of things that should take an hour but end up taking up the whole day.
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    Are they? Which ones would those be?
    Ishmael_Z said:

geoffw said:

Sandpit said:

No; Safari.

As a kludge you could sign out and pretend to have lost your password when signing back in.
    Ta. I'll try that if all else fails.
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    You've fallen into the same trap as me, it's entirely fictional
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

It was built in the postwar boom time, a time when people still believed in the future.

Buildings being mocked as hideous for the first century of their existence is par for the course, before a more balanced view. Victorian gothic, Edwardian Mock Tudor, spring to mind.
    Perhaps. The rebuilding of Coventry was awful though. The cult of the infallible planner was at its zenith in the post-war period.
    Take a bow, Jez, you're totally sheet.

His missing the target completely could be a metaphor for his entire policy offering.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

And people wondered why I wasn't inspired by my first graduation ceremony... Ghastly building.
    You think that's bad? Try Aberystwyth Arts Centre where three of my four graduation ceremonies took place.

Admittedly it does boast a stunning view across Cardigan Bay.

https://images.app.goo.gl/RkJ6e6MnbF2UMjmz9
    Four times! That’s a good effort. Aber Arts Centre a horrible building, but at least it’s next door to the bar at Yr Undeb.
    ydoethur said:

His missing the target completely could be a metaphor for his entire policy offering.
    The shot of him yesterday in a canoe on dry land was dubbed "up the creek, without a creek"
    edited April 2019
    The problem with the metaphor is in the video he is actually trying to hit the target....

I photo of him in full safety gear while sitting in a canoe on dry land made me chuckle.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Eagles, Corbyn's in favour of high taxes and state control. Of course he's no Robin Hood, he's too busy aping the Sheriff of Nottingham.
    There was a good freakonomics the other week on rent controls...cliff notes academic studies show they are a flawed idea.

Mr. Eagles, Corbyn's in favour of high taxes and state control. Of course he's no Robin Hood, he's too busy aping the Sheriff of Nottingham.

He's halfway to being the new Robin Hood.

He's got lots of ideas for taking from the rich, but he hasn't shown much sign of how he'd give it to the poor yet.

(With apologies to Richard Curtis, Ben Elton and Mr Baldrick.)
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    ydoethur said:

He's halfway to being the new Robin Hood.

He's got lots of ideas for taking from the rich, but he hasn't shown much sign of how he'd give it to the poor yet.

(With apologies to Richard Curtis, Ben Elton and Mr Baldrick.)
    I thought 2017 showed, quite clearly, he'd give it to the middle class.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    ydoethur said:

Would there not be a certain irony if having struggled for years to raise funds for urgent fabric repairs the French state (who are legally liable) have refused to pay for, the cathedral was saved due to the massive funds donated as a result of this fire?

Refurbishment does seem to be a high fire risk activity.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,755
    edited April 2019
    eek said:

tlg86 said:
    +1. You just need to look at Bradford, Middlesbrough, Calderdale and even Bromley to see the issue.

Anyone with money wishes to be part of the EU, the have nots thanks to Austerity and immigration are the people who wish to leave.

And that makes the Tories desire to leave the EU insane as their core voters are not the people who voted to leave..
    It's not as clear cut.

The divide in Bromley is not between rich and poor wards, so much as wards that are part of London, and wards that are part of Kent. The latter are very posh in places.

In Waltham Cross, it's the most middle class wards in Chingford that support Leave, whereas the poorer wards further into London favour Remain.

Enfield is interesting, as there is no clear split between Conservative/Labour or middle class/working class wards. Southgate is heavily Remain, both in middle class and working class wards, but Enfield North and Edmonton are tied, again, across the class divide.

Going further out, Conservative core voters in the London Stockbroker Belt favour Remain, but in places like East Anglia, or the East and West Midlands, they break very heavily for Leave.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,541

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

You can see the old Coventry Cathedral at bottom right.
    Fittingly, the gargoyle (or is it a grotesque ?) seems to be covering its eyes.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

Haven’t read it, but it’s about polling so people may be interested

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1117735051230314497?s=21

Here's the full article:
    https://ucl-brexit.blog/2019/04/12/a-general-election-is-looking-more-likely-what-are-the-implications-for-the-two-main-parties/

The data on those who have changed their minds is interesting.
    "However, when we look at how voters in each party voted in 2016 by region, it is clear that even in heavily Leave voting areas, the majority of Labour voters were Remainers."

It is, and we seem to be polarising further, with less scope for compromise. Labour losing its middle class Remain voters to LD, Green, PC and SNP is quite interesring. It won't be easy for Corbyn to get them back.
    The survey data is already nearly a month old.
    edited April 2019

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:
    You've fallen into the same trap as me, it's entirely fictional
    What's fictional? The architects?

Edit: oh I see the architects are fictional. Absolutely proves my point. Whatever marketing or point or joke seeking to be made has been made very efficiently.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    If he had a sense of humour, he'd have borrowed some of the targets from the lads in Afghanistan.....

ydoethur said:

Rennie Mackintosh nods sagely...
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    If anyone would like to contribute to the reconstruction of Notre Dame, you can do so here:

https://don.fondation-patrimoine.org/SauvonsNotreDame/~mon-don
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ydoethur said:

He is not too far from me..i am in Harrogate..i might pop over for a heckle..
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164

ydoethur said:

He is not too far from me..i am in Harrogate..i might pop over for a heckle..
    Careful, he might hit you!
  • ydoethur said:

That's probably No.1 on the Houses of Parliament refurbishment risk register
  • On the subject of unlikely leadership candidates getting media attention:

https://twitter.com/CaptainChris4PM
    It's a very good point. The WA should it ever be signed is only just the end of the beginning.
    This rings true...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/on-the-roof-of-notre-dame-before-it-burned
    Baumgartner has also been working on the renovation of the Samaritaine department store, just across the river from Notre-Dame. There, he said, private firemen patrol the job site as a preventive measure. But that would have been impossible at Notre-Dame, due to its architecture. “There’s no such thing as zero risk,” Baumgartner said...

Anyone who has made the trip up to a cathedral roof will realise the means of escape is tortuous and not exactly fire protected.
    Though I suppose it might have been possible to provide external and safer access to the roof with extensive and costly scaffolding.
    Nigelb said:

This rings true...

https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch/on-the-roof-of-notre-dame-before-it-burned
    Baumgartner has also been working on the renovation of the Samaritaine department store, just across the river from Notre-Dame. There, he said, private firemen patrol the job site as a preventive measure. But that would have been impossible at Notre-Dame, due to its architecture. “There’s no such thing as zero risk,” Baumgartner said...

Anyone who has made the trip up to a cathedral roof will realise the means of escape is tortuous and not exactly fire protected.
    Though I suppose it might have been possible to provide external and safer access to the roof with extensive and costly scaffolding.

Trump would have a solution ;-)
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Blooming Turkish immigrants, coming over here and building our monuments. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47938188

That’s just a derivation of the old Celtic migration theory

Well, it appears it's *evidence* that supports (at least partially) that theory.
    Yes, but evidence is already well established & I think the theory is pretty commonly accepted now.

The BBC is getting breathlessly excited about old news (and the Stonehenge angle is marginal to the story despite being the headline). The earliest megaliths are In the coastal regions of Galicia and Brittany (Carnac being the best known) so it’s not surprising that they spread north from there to the UK.
    In that case they spread in a somewhat irregular way; Callanish in the far NW of these isles is 500 years older than Stonehenge.
    Not really - the older ones are usually in remote coastal areas / islands. Stonehenge is the anomaly - it's just better known than many others

Nigelb said:

This rings true...

Trump would have a solution ;-)
    Probably parachutes...
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    Unemployment down again, real wages up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47947205#comment_134533032

We may be getting near to a tipping point as the rate of increase in employment is slowing but the proportion of new jobs that are now FT is very high. Very high level of vacancies suggesting that (a) this might not be the best time to stop the unemployed of Europe coming here to work and (b) even if total demand for employment falls a bit the consequences on the level of unemployment might be quite modest.

All this despite the best efforts of our political class to cause the maximum damage possible by dragging out the uncertainty. As someone who always claimed that the effects of Brexit were being grossly exaggerated for both good and ill I should feel a little smug but even I am surprised that the vandalism in Westminster is not having a more noticeable effect.
    Mr. B, I went up the tower at York Minster. It was less than ideal as far as firefighting would go, I'd guess.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    TOPPING said:

It's a very good point. The WA should it ever be signed is only just the end of the beginning.
    Not quite - it's the end of phase 1, phase 2 will be a lot harder as we won't have a back out option..
    ydoethur said:

JICIPM :lol:
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,048
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I should hope not.

I think if Alexei Sayle and Jacob Rees-Mogg swapped suits each would have perfectly fitting clothes.
    Double breasted suits certainly fit slim people better, but I do wonder if JRM has had a new suit since the mid eighties.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,747
    TOPPING said:

We will never have a final relationship with the EU. Our relationship, even if we leave, will continue to evolve becoming closer in some areas (on an intergovernmental basis) and less so in others where we decide to go our own way (agriculture being a likely example). It's one of a long line of things that makes the positioning of the ERG over the last few months nothing short of batshit crazy.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,950
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I should hope not.

Double breasted suits certainly fit slim people better, but I do wonder if JRM has had a new suit since the mid eighties.
    1880's?
    The report of Sanders' Fox News appearance is interesting:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/bernie-sanders-millionaire-no-apology-1277009
    ...One of the most surprising moments of the town hall occurred when Baier asked the members of the audience to raise their hands if they received health insurance through their employer. Most indicated they did. Then he asked how many would be willing to switch to Sanders‘ plan, and most people appeared to raise their hands again...

...Feisty and confident, Sanders ended the engagement by gently ribbing the hosts of the network liberals despise. “Thank you very much," he told Baier and MacCallum, "and I hope I wasn’t too hard on you.”
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

Not quite - it's the end of phase 1, phase 2 will be a lot harder as we won't have a back out option..
    We don't have a back out option now. But yes it will be harder, depending upon the attention span of the public (and PB) for the minutiae of widget regulation alignment.
    Mr. Topping, revoke is a theoretical possibility.

Anyway, I must be off.
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

When / if I become Mayor of London my main pm every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

I should hope not.

Alexei Sayle says that he has perfectly fitting suits made. And then asks the tailor to take them in two inches all round.

Mr. B, I went up the tower at York Minster. It was less than ideal as far as firefighting would go, I'd guess.

Indeed.
    Gloucester Cathedral tower is a fun visit too, but slightly terrifying.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Talking of cultural vandalism, take a look at this...

Newcastle's Old Town Hall on the Bigg Market was bulldozed and replaced with this..

• eekeek Posts: 24,797
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

We don't have a back out option now. But yes it will be harder, depending upon the attention span of the public (and PB) for the minutiae of widget regulation alignment.
    We do - it's called revoke....
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Talking of cultural vandalism, take a look at this...

Newcastle's Old Town Hall on the Bigg Market was bulldozed and replaced with this..

I supposed you could be thankful they don't have incontinent horses in the new square
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    @Roger you have clearly never been on a night out on the Bigg Market...
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

When / if I become Mayor of London my main pm every day and the very least people can do is bother to make their bit of the public space look beautiful. A sad looking cordyline in a plastic pot simply will not do.

I should hope not.

Alexei Sayle says that he has perfectly fitting suits made. And then asks the tailor to take them in two inches all round.
    I like wearing three-piece suits, as they are very slimming.

I think it might be a bit "common" experience for rog.
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

We do - it's called revoke....
    Yes that's fair. I think it is very unlikely though but no, not impossible.

I smoke tabs me.
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

I should hope not.

I like wearing three-piece suits, as they are very slimming.
    Chanelling DS Steve Arnott?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Given the behaviour on Old Compton Street, I really rather doubt that.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    Lol - it's non-stop on the news channels still with millions of Euros pledged to rebuild. All well and good but getting a little bit cloying and ott for my taste I'm starting to get 'burn-out'.
    Scott_P said:
    73 places? Or they ignoring NI like Labour and the LibDems?
    Scott_P said:
    I remember James Cleverly been interviewed a few years ago on radio5 where he was very honest about taking drugs and watching porn. It made a refreshing change. He was followed the next week by kinnock jnr who was totally evasive when asked the same questions.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    If Frank Field's Customs Union option receives Commons approval, would the effect be to cancel the EU elections here? If so, I am not sure that the Brexit Party and TIG will be best pleased!

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I wonder if the rebuilding of Notre Dame will require most of the skilled stoneworkers and woodworkers from the EU? Stonework in particular is very time-consuming to carve.

(ISTR an automated stone-carving system for freestone; essentially takes a CAD output and does either all the carving, or the majority leaving thee final touches to human hand. But I can't find a link immediately.)

Wouldn’t work for somewhere this iconic.
    They’re using it for la Sagrada Familia in Barcelona which has advanced its completion date from the middle of the next century to the middle of the next decade.
    My French cousin trained as a cathedral stonemason so I have an interest!
    If he’s French I suspect he stands a decent chance of prevailing over automation!
    She... 😆
    A lady Frenchman.
    The papers always refer to her as Anglo-Norman...
    Roger said:

it might be become one of those great biblical battles between good and evil. The young intelligent enlightened Mayor Pete versus the wizened reactionary bigoted Trump.

........A sort of parable for Brexit

Enlightened freedom vs the tyranny of the past?

I remember R4 in the early 80s after riots in Bristol and other cities crossing breathlessly to Newcastle after reports of trouble in the Bigg Market - "How would you describe it" "Typical Saturday night" came the reply. But I do recommend Roger make his first outing to the Bigg Market in the dead on winter with slush on the ground and driving horizontal rain. He'll find everyone dressed much as they do in the South of France at the height of summer - though possibly with more flesh on display...
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I remember R4 in the early 80s after riots in Bristol and other cities crossing breathlessly to Newcastle after reports of trouble in the Bigg Market - "How would you describe it" "Typical Saturday night" came the reply. But I do recommend Roger make his first outing to the Bigg Market in the dead on winter with slush on the ground and driving horizontal rain. He'll find everyone dressed much as they do in the South of France at the height of summer - though possibly with more flesh on display...

• houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Was thinking that an ability to speak French might count against Buttigieg in a US election. Also is America really open to an openly gay President? (Bearing in mind what people say in polls doesn't necrsnecess translate into reality)
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Two punch combo: the fear being that Labour would be as bad as Brexit. I suppose the good news is politicians have stopped talking about double whammies.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Billionaires Bernaud Arnault and Francois Pinaut pledge 200 million and 100 million euros respectively to the Notre Dame rebuild

houndtang said:

Was thinking that an ability to speak French might count against Buttigieg in a US election. Also is America really open to an openly gay President? (Bearing in mind what people say in polls doesn't necrsnecess translate into reality)

May have a point, Kerry and Romney both spoke fluent French
    justin124 said:

If Frank Field's Customs Union option receives Commons approval, would the effect be to cancel the EU elections here? If so, I am not sure that the Brexit Party and TIG will be best pleased!

Only if the Withdrawal Agreement is voted through at the same time
    Scott_P said:
    The first interview is with a lady who was arrested inDubai for calling her husbands new wife a horse. I wonder if as many listeners had sympathy for her as Emma Barnett expected. It isn't too long ago that we had criminal libel in this country. It starts right at the beginning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960
    houndtang said:

If they were open to a black President in 2008, then probably, yes.

Note that people used the exact same logic then to argue that Obama could never become President.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    justin124 said:

Even if that’s approved the EU elections will only be cancelled if the WAIB is ratified by May 22 nd. That has to pass both the Commons and HOL.

The WA took a combined 50 days to get through , the WAIB is likely to be very controversial as it makes clear the role of the ECJ etc.

The whole process would need to get done in under 3 weeks given any further votes are unlikely till early May .

Many Labour MPs won’t support the CU without a second vote , many Tories won’t vote for it so not sure why Frank Field is confident.
    He has a point:

European Parliament Brexit co-ordinator Guy Verhofstadt told the European Parliament that the bloc's decision to grant a delay until the end of October risked prolonging the uncertainty.

He said the six-month extension to Article 50 is "too near for a substantial rethink of Brexit and at the same time too far away to prompt any action".

"My fear is that with this decision, the pressure to come to a cross-party agreement disappears," Mr Verhofstadt said, referring to the talks between Labour and the Conservatives to try and find a Brexit compromise.

"And that both parties, the Conservatives and Labour, will again already what they did for months - run down the clock.

https://news.sky.com/story/their-first-decision-was-to-go-on-holiday-eu-fears-uk-will-waste-brexit-delay-11695220?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter&utm_source=Direct
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:
    The Tories yes but if Labour have a confirmatory vote they’re likely to do quite well and could come out on top.
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    The Tories yes but if Labour have a confirmatory vote they’re likely to do quite well and could come out on top.
    If of course Labour still is committed officially to a Customs Union not EUref2 and thus is in danger of losing voters to CUK. Though if it did back EUref2 Labour Leavers would also be more likely to go to the Brexit Party

Mr. Topping, revoke is a theoretical possibility.

Anyway, I must be off.

I've sent you a PM.
This discussion has been closed.