Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination 37 year old

124»

Comments

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

@Roger you have clearly never been on a night out on the Bigg Market...

I remember R4 in the early 80s after riots in Bristol and other cities crossing breathlessly to Newcastle after reports of trouble in the Bigg Market - "How would you describe it" "Typical Saturday night" came the reply. But I do recommend Roger make his first outing to the Bigg Market in the dead on winter with slush on the ground and driving horizontal rain. He'll find everyone dressed much as they do in the South of France at the height of summer - though possibly with more flesh on display...
    I really have been there. Ripped white t-shirts day or night winter or summer. I was even refused entry to a club there. There were literally people uninating against the wall and the doorman said I couldn't come in. 'No jacket and tie?' I asked humouously. 'No' he said 'plimsoles'. You might cut your feet on the broken glass'
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    The Tories yes but if Labour have a confirmatory vote they’re likely to do quite well and could come out on top.
    If of course Labour still is committed officially to a Customs Union not EUref2 and thus is in danger of losing voters to CUK. Though if it did back EUref2 Labour Leavers would also be more likely to go to the Brexit Party
    There aren’t that many Labour Leavers left . Only around 20% now say leaving the EU was the right decision . The Labour vote is a lot more Remain than in 2016.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,403
    I'm currently half way through a novel about a loss adjuster, who spends his time talking to people who are making insurance claims following dodgy fires.

So far, no places of worship have featured in the storyline.
    HYUFD said:

Billionaires Bernaud Arnault and Francois Pinaut pledge 200 million and 100 million euros respectively to the Notre Dame rebuild

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47943705

Willy-waving competition for the French super-rich.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    The Tories yes but if Labour have a confirmatory vote they’re likely to do quite well and could come out on top.
    If of course Labour still is committed officially to a Customs Union not EUref2 and thus is in danger of losing voters to CUK. Though if it did back EUref2 Labour Leavers would also be more likely to go to the Brexit Party
    There aren’t that many Labour Leavers left . Only around 20% now say leaving the EU was the right decision . The Labour vote is a lot more Remain than in 2016.
    It's all the younger people reporting themselves as Labour voters.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    HYUFD said:
    It is scary that the team around corbyn is far worse than him.
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    Voting to leave was definitely the right thing to do - just look how it has screwed the Tories. Actually leaving, under the terms on offer, is a different kettle of fish...
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited April 2019
    Electoral Commission approves CUK as a UK registered political party so it can officially contrast the European elections and be on the ballot paper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47949665

HYUFD said:

Billionaires Bernaud Arnault and Francois Pinaut pledge 200 million and 100 million euros respectively to the Notre Dame rebuild

Helpful for the rebuild though
    nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    Most Labour seats and Tory marginals voted Leave though
    Cyclefree said:
    The EU probably prefers May to Corbyn or a hard Brexiteer like Johnson though CUK doing well would be their ideal
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233

Mr. Blue, there's a pair of buildings on the way into Leeds, near the Big Yellow Storage place, that make me think of 1984.

As an aside, Leeds has some rather nice architecture, but it's share of concrete monstrosities too. There's also a church (maybe Trinity, not sure) that's very Gotham City.

If you're referring to Quarry House, I really like that building
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,722
    edited April 2019
    Roger said:

I remember R4 in the early 80s after riots in Bristol and other cities crossing breathlessly to Newcastle after reports of trouble in the Bigg Market - "How would you describe it" "Typical Saturday night" came the reply. But I do recommend Roger make his first outing to the Bigg Market in the dead on winter with slush on the ground and driving horizontal rain. He'll find everyone dressed much as they do in the South of France at the height of summer - though possibly with more flesh on display...
    I really have been there. Ripped white t-shirts day or night winter or summer. I was even refused entry to a club there. There were literally people uninating against the wall and the doorman said I couldn't come in. 'No jacket and tie?' I asked humouously. 'No' he said 'plimsoles'. You might cut your feet on the broken glass'
    Some years ago, on a bitterly cold January day....... Essex and an East wind blowing..... I went to the funeral of the teenage child of a colleague. Many of the lads classmates were there. There were two of us from 'management' and were both amazed at the skimpy clothes the girls wore. My female colleague kept asking 'do their mother's know they've come here dressed like that!?'.
    The burial ground was nearly a mile away from the church too, and we all walked. It was even worse filing slowly past the grave.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

HYUFD said:

So what? Better contributed to the social good than in their pockets.
    Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey did not know what a Nazi salute was when he was charged with making the offensive gesture, says a Football Association panel.

The charge was found not proven this month and Wales international Hennessey, 32, will face no punishment.The regulatory commission has published its written reasons for the decision.

It said Hennessey showed a "lamentable degree of ignorance" about Adolf Hitler, fascism and the Nazi regime.

I know footballers have a reputation for being thick, but really....
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Roger said:

I feel you're painting Newcastle in a bad light. I assume this wasn't too recent. Newcastle is pretty damn gentrified these days. Gone are the days of 3 treble vodkas for £3.

Roger said:

I feel you're painting Newcastle in a bad light. I assume this wasn't too recent. Newcastle is pretty damn gentrified these days. Gone are the days of 3 treble vodkas for £3.
    Bloody gentrification....
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Please refer to the previous thread for where I might think there funds could be better spent. I'll stop there.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165

Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey did not know what a Nazi salute was when he was charged with making the offensive gesture, says a Football Association panel.

The charge was found not proven this month and Wales international Hennessey, 32, will face no punishment.The regulatory commission has published its written reasons for the decision.

It said Hennessey showed a "lamentable degree of ignorance" about Adolf Hitler, fascism and the Nazi regime.

He's old enough to remember Mark Bosnich at White Hart Lane.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Endillion said:

houndtang said:

Was thinking that an ability to speak French might count against Buttigieg in a US election. Also is America really open to an openly gay President? (Bearing in mind what people say in polls doesn't necrsnecess translate into reality)

If they were open to a black President in 2008, then probably, yes.

Note that people used the exact same logic then to argue that Obama could never become President.
    Arguably Hillary would have won if she'd been Hilary.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    If there’s no deal, the UK would no longer be part of the EU medicines and medical devices regulatory networks. The sharing of these common systems, and the associated exchanges of data, between the UK and EU/EEA countries would end.

We would have our own processes and systems to manage UK human medicines and devices regulatory activities. To do this, some new systems are being developed for 31 October 2019

This is the Government information related to registering medical devices. It is about as much use as sunglasses in Glasgow in the winter.

I have stopped listening to Tim from Essex who phones in to say that he demands an independent trade policy and without it he will never vote again. This despite the fact that Tim is now retired and has probably never filled in a customs declaration in his life.

It appears that views are so entrenched that reasonable discussion has ceased. This is what YouGov seems to show. The one change is that Labour votes who voted leave are being put under pressure to switch. I guess the elections will show what we all in our hearts know. The country is split now about 55% remain 45% leave but the leave have become hard core. The only way out for TM is a new referendum. Driving through the no deal Brexit will not work and compromise is gone.

• EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Endillion said:

houndtang said:

Was thinking that an ability to speak French might count against Buttigieg in a US election. Also is America really open to an openly gay President? (Bearing in mind what people say in polls doesn't necrsnecess translate into reality)

Note that people used the exact same logic then to argue that Obama could never become President.
    Arguably Hillary would have won if she'd been literally anyone other than Hillary.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I'm currently half way through a novel about a loss adjuster, who spends his time talking to people who are making insurance claims following dodgy fires.

So far, no places of worship have featured in the storyline.

There are certain states here in the US, Rhode Island and New Jersey among them, where to get a mortgage you have to sign an affidavit that you have never committed arson.
    tlg86 said:

He's old enough to remember Mark Bosnich at White Hart Lane.
    Just bants...

I imagine today he would quite rightly be in a lot more trouble.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    The English language invented a past tense for a reason.

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Please refer to the previous thread for where I might think there funds could be better spent. I'll stop there.
    I wouldn't donate money to restoring a building (unless there was a personal connection) as it doesn't strike me as the best use of philanthropic capital.

But the beauty of freedom is that people get to decide how to spend their own money
  • Begone burgon?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,233

Endillion said:

houndtang said:

She would have won if she deigned to campaign in poor places and didn't bang on about baskets of deplorables. How one can throw away a three million vote lead is beyond me. She messed up the 2008 campaign for Democratic nominee, she only won the 2016 campaign for Democratic nominee because the superdelegates cheated, and then she messed up the 2016 Presidential campaign. Everybody, in every inquiry, focusses on culture wars, or the fact she's a woman, or Trump is a racist and a boor. Nobody ever points out that she is just not good at campaigning.

If there’s no deal, the UK would no longer be part of the EU medicines and medical devices regulatory networks. The sharing of these common systems, and the associated exchanges of data, between the UK and EU/EEA countries would end.

We would have our own processes and systems to manage UK human medicines and devices regulatory activities. To do this, some new systems are being developed for 31 October 2019

This is the Government information related to registering medical devices. It is about as much use as sunglasses in Glasgow in the winter.

I have stopped listening to Tim from Essex who phones in to say that he demands an independent trade policy and without it he will never vote again. This despite the fact that Tim is now retired and has probably never filled in a customs declaration in his life.

It appears that views are so entrenched that reasonable discussion has ceased. This is what YouGov seems to show. The one change is that Labour votes who voted leave are being put under pressure to switch. I guess the elections will show what we all in our hearts know. The country is split now about 55% remain 45% leave but the leave have become hard core. The only way out for TM is a new referendum. Driving through the no deal Brexit will not work and compromise is gone.

Do you ever deal with the MHRA in your business?

Because most of the regulations will just roll over from there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/regulatory-guidance-for-medical-devices
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Just to make it just that bit more frustrating, most of the input into EU medical regulations came from the UK. My company's first 4 figure order came from a contact I had made at a meeting at the EMA. Having London as the hub for pharmaceutical rule making was a huge advantage in winning business - the sort of business that supports well paid jobs. It's no wonder someone else nabbed it as quickly as possible before we changed our minds.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Wasn't this covered in the Sermon on the Mount.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,547
    Has Hodges been dropped from the MoS? His column has been missing for several weeks now.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    One tactic the Corbyn team seem to be employing is Trump's patented Scandal Fatigue, if you have a new scandal every day people just don't have time to really get angry about any one thing. We won't be talking about this in a weeks time.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited April 2019

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Arnault's company was a major sponsor of the Paris 2015 climate change conference and has a large, innovative and effective Carbon Fund. It has had an Environment Department since 1992.

It is a pleasure to see ill-informed sanctimony falling flat on its arse.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:
    But not because of Labour votes . That’s the key point . Labour suffer much more damage if they ignore the Remain vote. The research showed the Midlands 57% Labour voted Remain , in the North over 65% and over 70% in London . Those percentages have gone up now in terms of how they’d vote in another EU ref. It would be truly stupid to ignore the vast majority of Labour voters , the membership and activists .
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

I wouldn't donate money to restoring a building (unless there was a personal connection) as it doesn't strike me as the best use of philanthropic capital.

But the beauty of freedom is that people get to decide how to spend their own money
    At least if the building is 800 years old you can tell that it serves some useful purpose. Garden bridges, on the other hand...
    edited April 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

At least if the building is 800 years old you can tell that it serves some useful purpose. Garden bridges, on the other hand...
    I didn't donate to that either.

The Chairman asked if he could host a dinner at my office, so I said yes.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

houndtang said:

She would have won if she deigned to campaign in poor places and didn't bang on about baskets of deplorables. How one can throw away a three million vote lead is beyond me. She messed up the 2008 campaign for Democratic nominee, she only won the 2016 campaign for Democratic nominee because the superdelegates cheated, and then she messed up the 2016 Presidential campaign. Everybody, in every inquiry, focusses on culture wars, or the fact she's a woman, or Trump is a racist and a boor. Nobody ever points out that she is just not good at campaigning.
    As with (my impression of) David Milliband, she’s a technocrat. She genuinely believes that she has all the answers and doesn’t see why having to justify them, or gain popular support for them, is necessary. To see the consequences of that type actually making it to office see Renzi and the subsequent dislocation of Italian politics.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

I hope you’ve been out this morning planting something........
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Explains why they don't have a logo...

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1118130670142771200
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I get where @SandyRentool is coming from in relation to Notre Dame. It appalled me that the west paid far more attention to the shelling of Dubrovnik than to countless more serious massacres that took place in the former Yugoslavia before then. People are worth more than buildings.

That said, buildings can and do enhance people's lives. Notre Dame is part of the world's heritage and we would be poorer if it were not restored.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    houndtang said:

I think he'll be OK so long as he doesn't also play the piano.
  • What’s the farting commie done?

Should I burn my betslip on him succeeding Corbyn at 100/1?
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    houndtang said:

Indeed. An ability to speak English counted against Hillary Clinton.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

What’s the farting commie done?

said something*

claimed he didn't say it

video of him saying just what he claimed he didn't say turns up

*I mean, its only mildly antisemitic anyway!

said something*

claimed he didn't say it

Oh.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1118100318187925506
    edited April 2019

One tactic the Corbyn team seem to be employing is Trump's patented Scandal Fatigue, if you have a new scandal every day people just don't have time to really get angry about any one thing. We won't be talking about this in a weeks time.
    Also just lie, lie, lie, blame the media, blame a foreign power, etc...its called Fire-Hosing. Trump and Putin use it constantly.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1118100318187925506
    At least he didn’t say the Holocaust didn’t happen but if it did the Jews deserved it.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Why are MEPs, who are elected on a party list system, able to defect to another party?
    MP Johnny Mercer gets a 'full' apology from the Tory chief whip after his former Army comrades were asked for 'dirt' on the rising star in 'smear campaign' by his OWN side

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927725/MP-Johnny-Mercer-gets-grovelling-apology-Tory-chief-whip.html

Why are MEPs, who are elected on a party list system, able to defect to another party?

Good question. Pass.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Good question. Pass.
    Because they are elected? I think it's a replacement system on death right.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Good question. Pass.
    Who replaces them? Someone from the party they were elected for, or the one they belonged to at time of death?

Incidentally, this neatly demonstrates why list-based PR systems are the absolute devil.
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315

HYUFD said:

Will it be tax deductible?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited April 2019

They're still named candidates on the ballot paper, so you can reasonably argue they have a mandate and aren't simply fungible party robots.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774

I get where @SandyRentool is coming from in relation to Notre Dame. It appalled me that the west paid far more attention to the shelling of Dubrovnik than to countless more serious massacres that took place in the former Yugoslavia before then. People are worth more than buildings.

That said, buildings can and do enhance people's lives. Notre Dame is part of the world's heritage and we would be poorer if it were not restored.

The inhabitants of Dubrovnik did suffer considerably, although as you say, a lot of the focus did seem to be on the buildings.

I encountered someone who suffered an appalling tragedy when I stayed in a flat in Dubrovnik. He had a picture of his daughter, who had been studying in Zagreb, and as soon as the fighting started, she and three other students drove back towards Dubrovnik, only for their car to be hit by a shell.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

In 800 years time it might have been one of London's best-loved landmarks.

edited April 2019
    It is interesting to see while May is off on a walking holiday, Jeremy is still on the campaign trail. Cheshire this morning, Liverpool this afternoon. Again very much like Orange Man Bad, always doing the rallies.

I don't begrudge May a holiday, I actually think Blair and Cameron were very sensible to take regular breaks.

https://twitter.com/sherlock1968/status/1118141401861111808

@SandyRentool wasn’t comparing buildings to people but to nature. People featured even lower.

That said, it is possible to love both the built and natural environment.

You are right about how the massacre of people can get overlooked. I think that when the numbers are large or the massacres frequent people become inured. There is no individual element to grab our attention. The irreplaceability of each of the massacred human beings is forgotten or ignored. A solitary bridge (at Mostar, say) becomes symbolic of our anger at the wanton destruction of so much. Sometimes it is the killing of a few people which becomes real for us, like the family burned to death inside their home in Croatia during that war and their killers berated by Colonel Stewart. It is why those who suffer try to put names and faces to those lost to remind us of the individual irreplaceable people we have lost ( see Yad Vashem and similar memorials).

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

MP Johnny Mercer gets a 'full' apology from the Tory chief whip after his former Army comrades were asked for 'dirt' on the rising star in 'smear campaign' by his OWN side

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6927725/MP-Johnny-Mercer-gets-grovelling-apology-Tory-chief-whip.html

Tagged on at the end of that piece:

"The row came as unsubstantiated rumours circulated in Westminster that one major Cabinet frontrunner was having an affair.

However, allies of the Minister say the claims pushed by MPs were 'nonsense'."
  • dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

"The row came as unsubstantiated rumours circulated in Westminster that one major Cabinet frontrunner was having an affair.

Lol, easy enough to guess who though. Past is prologue
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

That narrows it down. How many ministers have allies?

said something*

claimed he didn't say it

It’s not what he says which is the main issue, bad as it may be. But that he chose to lie about it.

“A man who is honest in small things will be honest in great. A man who is dishonest in small things will be dishonest in great.”

Made a speech which seems to indicate an opposition to Israeli atrocities in Gaza.

Might shorten a bit but probably not - it was 5 years ago.
  • BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Cyclefree said:

said something*

claimed he didn't say it

It’s not what he says which is the main issue, bad as it may be. But that he chose to lie about it.

“A man who is honest in small things will be honest in great. A man who is dishonest in small things will be dishonest in great.”
    yup, agree with that.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    Endillion said:

Good question. Pass.
    Who replaces them? Someone from the party they were elected for, or the one they belonged to at time of death?

Incidentally, this neatly demonstrates why list-based PR systems are the absolute devil.
    D'Hondt do this to me!!
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

Made a speech which seems to indicate an opposition to Israeli atrocities in Gaza.

He also said to Neil that he hadn't said it and that it isn't what he believes. Does that mean he's now pro Israeli atrocities?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    The first interview is with a lady who was arrested inDubai for calling her husbands new wife a horse. I wonder if as many listeners had sympathy for her as Emma Barnett expected. It isn't too long ago that we had criminal libel in this country. It starts right at the beginning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
    Was more to that harassment story than has been commonly reported, it was thousands of calls, messages, emails and social media posts over more than two years aimed at the ex-husbands new wife. Would likely have met the standard for criminal harassment in the U.K.

Brits detained abroad (or their lawyers) have now worked out that they can often get their case sped up if they can get a one-sided article about their plight in the Daily Mail.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

That narrows it down. How many ministers have allies?
    LOL!
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Endillion said:

Good question. Pass.

Why?

I would say 90 per cent of people vote for a party not a candidate. Personal votes are generally overstated.

A list system ensures proportionality so more voters get people elected they want and every vote counts equally.
    edited April 2019
    Re the party lists, it sounds like there's trouble brewing in London for the Tories...

(from Wiki: A pro-European, Tannock applied for, and obtained, Irish citizenship in response to Brexit, describing himself as a "pretty angry pro-European Tory". Tannock also stated with regards to what has happened since the Brexit referendum that "I am quite ashamed to be British in many ways." He told The Irish Times that he was proud to be Irish and was planning a "pilgrimage" to Ireland.)

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/1118067509423419392
    Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

A cynic might argue that a large plaque in a rebuilt cathedral would be a very good way of securing one’s legacy.
    Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said talks with the government are stalling due to a Tory desire for post-Brexit deregulation including pursuing a US trade deal, a sign that the cordial tone of the negotiations is faltering.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/16/brexit-talks-with-government-have-stalled-says-corbyn
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Re the party lists, it sounds like there's trouble brewing in London for the Tories...

(from Wiki: A pro-European, Tannock applied for, and obtained, Irish citizenship in response to Brexit, describing himself as a "pretty angry pro-European Tory". Tannock also stated with regards to what has happened since the Brexit referendum that "I am quite ashamed to be British in many ways." He told The Irish Times that he was proud to be Irish and was planning a "pilgrimage" to Ireland.)

It's a very odd situation. Party members may be furious at a pro-Remain Conservative standing, but many Conservative voters in London (if there are any left...) will probably take the opposite view.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    New thread.

It's a very odd situation. Party members may be furious at a pro-Remain Conservative standing, but many Conservative voters in London (if there are any left...) will probably take the opposite view.
    Yes, in theory a balanced ticket would be an asset...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,579
    kinabalu said:

Rather, he made a claim with considerable vehemence and apparent moral certitude, which he then denied absolutely having ever made.
    Viewing the clip of the speech, it's rather difficult to believe he could possibly have forgotten what he said, unless he is stupid to the point of mental impairment.
    Cyclefree said:

said something*

claimed he didn't say it

Which explains why Boris has no chance, as much as his supporters go on about him. His own wife didn’t trust him for a decade or more, so why the hell should the rest of us?

He also said to Neil that he hadn't said it and that it isn't what he believes. Does that mean he's now pro Israeli atrocities?

You should be a barrister!
    Nigelb said:

Rather, he made a claim with considerable vehemence and apparent moral certitude, which he then denied absolutely having ever made.
    Viewing the clip of the speech, it's rather difficult to believe he could possibly have forgotten what he said, unless he is stupid to the point of mental impairment.

The denial did not sound that firm to me. It sounded rather cagey. The mystery is why he felt the need to be so shy about the remarks. I think it is because of the use of the Z word. It's become a term best avoided by people who are neither Jewish nor Palestinian.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2019
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:
    The first interview is with a lady who was arrested inDubai for calling her husbands new wife a horse. I wonder if as many listeners had sympathy for her as Emma Barnett expected. It isn't too long ago that we had criminal libel in this country. It starts right at the beginning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live
    Was more to that harassment story than has been commonly reported, it was thousands of calls, messages, emails and social media posts over more than two years aimed at the ex-husbands new wife. Would likely have met the standard for criminal harassment in the U.K.

Brits detained abroad (or their lawyers) have now worked out that they can often get their case sped up if they can get a one-sided article about their plight in the Daily Mail.
    I knew it would be. I've shot in Dubai and I know it to be a reasonably civilised country. The interviewer sounded like a hysterical schoolgirl without the capacity to look beyond the very obvious flaws and omissions in her story. It was typical of a Western attitude towards anywhere Muslim.
This discussion has been closed.