Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blow for Change UK as it tried to complete formalities ahead o

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blow for Change UK as it tried to complete formalities ahead of the possible May Euro elections

It has just been reported that the new party, change UK, has had its party logo rejected by the Electoral Commission on the grounds that it could “mislead voters”.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Amateur hour.....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited April 2019
    First, Second, still unlike the Tories in the EU elections.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Deleted as superfluous.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited April 2019
    "Let's change the system by, er....sending MEPs to Brussels...."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

First, Second, still unlike the Tories in the EU elections.

Fifth, like the Tories in the EU elections. :p
  • Options
    How can a new party have a sufficiently well known logo?
  • Options
    6th like Spurs when I get back from holibobs .... (pls no)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said talks with the government are stalling due to a Tory desire for post-Brexit deregulation including pursuing a US trade deal, a sign that the cordial tone of the negotiations is faltering.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/16/brexit-talks-with-government-have-stalled-says-corbyn
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Cunning, isn't it?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    TIG started well, but have since made a number of unforced errors. I appreciate that the Euros were generally unexpected, but they are below critical mass to do anything other than badly.
  • Options

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has said talks with the government are stalling due to a Tory desire for post-Brexit deregulation including pursuing a US trade deal, a sign that the cordial tone of the negotiations is faltering.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/16/brexit-talks-with-government-have-stalled-says-corbyn

Also a canny move by Jezza. What proportion of the population are genuinely up for a post-Brexit deregulation spree? Not top of most people's list I would guess.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Cunning, isn't it?
    It seems that the hashtag was perhaps the bigger problem - they can't promise or control what it might point to in future.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Jonathan said:

TIG started well, but have since made a number of unforced errors. I appreciate that the Euros were generally unexpected, but they are below critical mass to do anything other than badly.

That's fair, but also they may have been kiboshed by Tom Watson's rapid counter-offensive of creating TIG-within-Labour to head off further defections.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Jonathan said:

Yes, they really need to beat the Lib Dems here (given that they've decided not to ally with them). That might be close.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    I reckon that TIG will only get one MEP elected.

Then in their acceptance speech they can say:

"The wonderful thing about Tiggers is I'm the only one!"

(Sorry)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

(Sorry)

One in the South East, for sure, and perhaps one in London.
  • Options
    Chuka might look the part, but Farage is teaching him and his fellow-travellers a serious lesson on how to go about setting up a new political party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Is "Chuka's Party" available ?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Also a canny move by Jezza. What proportion of the population are genuinely up for a post-Brexit deregulation spree? Not top of most people's list I would guess.
    No. Precisely. The uber Thatcherites think the rest of the population wants to live in their fantasy Ayn Rand land of mass deregulation, environmental collapse and zero hours for all. They'll find eventually people don't.

In fact they very much like stuff like the social chapter on holidays.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

(Sorry)

One in the South East, for sure, and perhaps one in London.
    I was thinking London, but yes the number of seats in the south east sets a very low bar for success. Even the LibDems got over the line last time.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    'A spokesperson for the Commission said: "The emblem contained a hashtag, and we cannot assess the material linked to a hashtag, which will change over time, against the legal tests.

“The emblem also contained the acronym TIG, which we were not satisfied was sufficiently well known."'

From the link. "Not sufficiently well known" is a weird objection, since it would presumably damage tig and no one else; its not like being too similar to an existing logo. Also most people would have informally run their design past the Commision with a week in hand.
  • Options

Cunning, isn't it?
    Presumably by this logic the Brexit party logo is well known?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,572
    Will the new SDP be standing and how is that not confusing?

The clearly pro Remain parties not forming a one off alliance is bonkers (I appreciate it may have been hard in the time available)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,346
    OT, but very interesting and detailed paper on what it would take to achieve 100% renewable generation by 2050.
    http://energywatchgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/EWG_LUT_100RE_All_Sectors_Global_Report_2019.pdf
    Electrification across all energy sectors is inevitable (see Figure KF-1) and is more resource efficient than the current system. Electricity generation in 2050 will exceed four to five times that of 2015, primarily due to high electrification rates of the transport and heat sectors. Final energy fuel consumption is reduced by more than 2/3 (68%) from 2015 numbers, as fossil fuels are phased out completely and remaining fuels are either electricity-based or biofuels. Electricity will constitute for more than 90% of the primary energy demand in 2050. This electrification results in massive energy efficiency gains when compared to a low electrification trajectory (see KF-1). Almost all of the renewable energy supply will come from local and regional generation....

Briefly skimming the assumptions in their model, which appear in the appendices at the end, they do not seem to have made any heroic assumptions about any of the technologies involved (all of which are currently demonstrable).

The biggest assumption seems to be the political policy lead involved - though given the compelling economic case, even that might be feasible.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    It's a picture of Toad having an argument with Ratty...

Oh...ummm...sorry. Easy mistake to make...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Jonathan said:

The only real way they can now make progress is with a merger with the Lib dems to create a proper 'centrist/centre left' party. Fishing in the same pool will leave everyone with nothing.
  • Options

Cunning, isn't it?
    Isn't it just the name of the party? The problem with ChUK's logo is that it isn't.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

No. Precisely. The uber Thatcherites think the rest of the population wants to live in their fantasy Ayn Rand land of mass deregulation, environmental collapse and zero hours for all. They'll find eventually people don't.

In fact they very much like stuff like the social chapter on holidays.
    It’s a consequence of Leave leaders not actually having worked out what the point of Leave is.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Having their logo rejected sounds like a blessing in disguise. New parties with low brand recognition need a logo that captures in less than a second's viewing who they are and, broadly, what they stand for.

The unkind might argue that the complete mix and muddle described in the submitted logo does indeed capture what the ChUKkers are about but that would be an unfortunate irony rather than an intended piece of marketing.

In the first instance, with no time to get the logo well-known, I'd suggest that they'd be best off superimposing black capitals 'CHANGE' over an outline of Britain.
  • Options
    kjh said:

The clearly pro Remain parties not forming a one off alliance is bonkers (I appreciate it may have been hard in the time available)

In answer to my own question before booking myself into the home for the bewildered:

No

And it is not a new party.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cunning, isn't it?
    Isn't it just the name of the party? The problem with ChUK's logo is that it isn't.
    No, it has a light blue arrow (i.e. a sort of exit symbol).

Maybe they aren't bothering to use the logo on the ballot.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Euros were an entirely plausible scenario, and the locals a nailed-on certainty.

As soon as they left their previous parties, they should have registered a new group. Instead, they seemed to take two months to realise that they'd taken an irrevocable step, couldn't go back and unless they were all happy to stand down at the next GE (possibly only weeks away), they'd need to organise as a party.

That lost time was critical as a reason for some of the errors being made now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good afternoon, my fellow Martians.

Bit weird. Going for Change UK (which is a daft name) and then trying to stick to the TIG line for the logo.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

OT, but very interesting and detailed paper on what it would take to achieve 100% renewable generation by 2050.
    http://energywatchgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/EWG_LUT_100RE_All_Sectors_Global_Report_2019.pdf
    Electrification across all energy sectors is inevitable (see Figure KF-1) and is more resource efficient than the current system. Electricity generation in 2050 will exceed four to five times that of 2015, primarily due to high electrification rates of the transport and heat sectors. Final energy fuel consumption is reduced by more than 2/3 (68%) from 2015 numbers, as fossil fuels are phased out completely and remaining fuels are either electricity-based or biofuels. Electricity will constitute for more than 90% of the primary energy demand in 2050. This electrification results in massive energy efficiency gains when compared to a low electrification trajectory (see KF-1). Almost all of the renewable energy supply will come from local and regional generation....

Briefly skimming the assumptions in their model, which appear in the appendices at the end, they do not seem to have made any heroic assumptions about any of the technologies involved (all of which are currently demonstrable).

The biggest assumption seems to be the political policy lead involved - though given the compelling economic case, even that might be feasible.

Thanks for the link.

"Electricity generation in 2050 will exceed four to five times that of 2015, primarily due to high electrification rates of the transport and heat sectors"

This is quite an assumption - if we make use of hydrogen to decarbonise heating, then the growth in demand for electricity will not be quite so dramatic.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2019

Jonathan said:

Yes, they really need to beat the Lib Dems here (given that they've decided not to ally with them). That might be close.
    Like I said the other day, I think the Greens will beat both the Tiggers and the Lib Dems.

I feel like people (regardless of how they voted in the referendum) are just exasperated by the whole of "Westminster", so will be looking for the easiest way of protesting against the whole system, like in the 2009 Euro elections after the expenses scandal. Unfortunately for the LDs, despite having so few MPs, they'll still probably be grouped as part of "Westminster" (again like in the expenses scandal), in a way that the Greens won't be.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    kjh said:

Any alliance whether LibDem/TIG or UKIP/Brexit woule have to agree who would top the alliance's list - and the order of subsequent names.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    Why will TIG not pick up a ton of Remainer votes in the Euros? Can't see the point of them if they don't.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729

Bit weird. Going for Change UK (which is a daft name) and then trying to stick to the TIG line for the logo.

I thought their name was now Change UK The Independent Group?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

RobD said:

Cunning, isn't it?

It literally has the words Brexit Party on it.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2019/04/12/11/brexit-party-launch-9.jpg
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The only real way they can now make progress is with a merger with the Lib dems to create a proper 'centrist/centre left' party. Fishing in the same pool will leave everyone with nothing.
    That's true, but it only really works as a Change takeover, which means it has to be a merger from a position of strength. If the ChUKkers wanted to end up with the Lib Dems, they'd have just defected direct. They don't want to be tainted by that brand, which means that a genuine merger has to marry Lib Dem activist and data strengths, with ChUK electoral appeal and MPs/MEPs.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    kjh said:

Sdp have stated they do not consider the euros valid and are not standing.
    Their MEP oflynn will stand in Peterborough if theres a by election
  • Options
    Harris and Warren neck-and-neck, yet Harris was last matched at 5.8 on Betfair, and Warren at 28.0. I don't get it.
  • Options
    Mr. Difficile, a fair correction, though if the Conservatives had UP in their logo it'd seem odd too.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Harris and Warren neck-and-neck, yet Harris was last matched at 5.8 on Betfair, and Warren at 28.0. I don't get it.
    Will we get Lake and Palmer polls too ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Only 33% of them believe in Father Christmas
  • Options

Kamala Harris still looking very much like 2020's version of Jeb Bush.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Pulpstar said:

Warren should be doing better based on recognition. It's not about where you are, it's where you are going.

However Harris is definitely too short.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

"Electricity generation in 2050 will exceed four to five times that of 2015, primarily due to high electrification rates of the transport and heat sectors"

This is quite an assumption - if we make use of hydrogen to decarbonise heating, then the growth in demand for electricity will not be quite so dramatic.
    We won't, as the infrastructure required to distribute and burn it would be prohibitively expensive - synthesised methane would do the job more cheaply.
    Syngas, as a means of energy storage/distribution is in the model in any event - but requires electricity for its production.

Heat pumps are in the main a cheaper option.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Danny565 said:

Question is whether she is Bush or Rubio, depending on for how long people cling to the idea they will win
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Mr. Difficile, a fair correction, though if the Conservatives had UP in their logo it'd seem odd too.

Unless it was preceded by "F*CK"
  • Options
    Doesn't that require a Democrat Trump, though?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

They would certainly spill votes if they were CUPs....

Although it could be worse. They might be the Tory and Unionist Party. Then they would be completely screwed...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

laughable

if the bozos in government are struggling to agree with the EU what on earth makes them think they will progress with the maelstrom that is Trump ?
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Question is whether she is Bush or Rubio, depending on for how long people cling to the idea they will win
    The trouble with comparisons like that is that she might well be neither.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    That's an unfortunate picture of Anna Soubry (on the politicshome article)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Because of Brexit? Or Despite Brexit?

Nissan announces layoff of 600 workers in Catalonia
    No deal with unions after four meetings; promised investment of 70 million euro up in the air

http://www.catalannews.com/business/item/nissan-announces-layoff-of-600-workers-in-catalonia
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, be fair. Blaming the US is Corbyn's first response to most things.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Does anyone think UKIP could get more votes than Farage's new party, simply through name recognition? A lot of people probably think Farage is still UKIP leader.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

Won't we need electricity to get hydrogen?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Does anyone think UKIP could get more votes than Farage's new party, simply through name recognition? A lot of people probably think Farage is still UKIP leader.

Not a chance imo. UKIP will wither on the vine
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

We won't, as the infrastructure required to distribute and burn it would be prohibitively expensive - synthesised methane would do the job more cheaply.
    Syngas, as a means of energy storage/distribution is in the model in any event - but requires electricity for its production.

Heat pumps are great for new buildings with high spec thermal insulation. For older buildings - most of which have a gas supply - converting the gas distribution system to hydrogen is a viable means to decarbonise heat. Appliances would need modification or replacement, but we did that once already when we switched from towns gas to natural gas. Producing hydrogen from natural gas (or coal) with carbon capture is viable at very large scale - bioSNG would be more costly and need a heck of a lot of biomass.

Google search: h21 north of england hydrogen
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Warren should be doing better based on recognition. It's not about where you are, it's where you are going.

The other point is that Warren has burned through most of the cash she raised in the first quarter, apparently to little effect so far, whereas Harris and Buttigieg have kept most of what they raised.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

Electrolysis is one route. Reforming/gasification of hydrocarbons (with carbon capture) is more scalable.
  • Options
    MoE more than 5%!, sample sub-400.

While the trends are certainly worth noting, they also need to be taken with a large dollop of caution.

(But how does Mike Gravel get *anyone* supporting him, with so many other candidates in the field?!)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841

I’m going to guess that they tried to register The Independent Group as the party name, and the Electoral Commission told them to get lost, as “Independent” is a reserved word for candidates of no party affiliation standing in elections. Hence “Change UK” as the party name, or “the EU’s cucks, if you’re Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,618

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

Yup. And unless they've repealed those pesky thermodynamics laws, the amount of heat and energy required to produce the electricity to get the hydrogen is far greater than the heat and electricity saved by the hydrogen that you got. Unless we get it from the nearest free source of course, which is (thinks for a minute) the outer gas giant planets.

Pause.

Ok, that's not gonna work... :)
  • Options

No deal with unions after four meetings; promised investment of 70 million euro up in the air

http://www.catalannews.com/business/item/nissan-announces-layoff-of-600-workers-in-catalonia

UK job losses are all to do with Brexit, EU job losses have nothing to do with Brexit. Got it?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    No surprise that the Brexit-supporting elite should use its servants within the bureaucracy to hamper Brexit's enemies. The establishment won't have a word said against Brexit. Brexit's advocates all went to the top schools and universities, of course, so perish the thought that anyone might think Brexit was mistaken.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

Heat pumps are great for new buildings with high spec thermal insulation. For older buildings - most of which have a gas supply - converting the gas distribution system to hydrogen is a viable means to decarbonise heat. Appliances would need modification or replacement, but we did that once already when we switched from towns gas to natural gas. Producing hydrogen from natural gas (or coal) with carbon capture is viable at very large scale - bioSNG would be more costly and need a heck of a lot of biomass.

I don't think you can reliably distribute hydrogen over the existing gas network ?

In any event, that is hardly of importance to the major world population centres in 2050 - Asia and Africa.
  • Options

kjh said:

Any alliance whether LibDem/TIG or UKIP/Brexit woule have to agree who would top the alliance's list - and the order of subsequent names.
    yes that clearly is a problem
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Because of the EU/Japan trade deal.

That’s what happens when you have the EU collectively negotiate your trade deals. They end up being massively in favour of German and French industry, while screwing everyone else. Why does anyone think a customs union with the EU after we’ve left would be anything but an abysmal idea?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Betting odds continue to point towards a sweeping Labor victory, even as intelligence from both sides of politics suggests a much tighter contest."

https://www.pollbludger.net
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That’s what happens when you have the EU collectively negotiate your trade deals. They end up being massively in favour of German and French industry, while screwing everyone else. Why does anyone think a customs union with the EU after we’ve left would be anything but an abysmal idea?
    Because all other current options seem to lead either to economic catastrophe, or to no say on anything, or to a war in Ireland, which would be much worse ideas.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Because all other current options seem to lead either to economic catastrophe, or to no say on anything, or to a war in Ireland, which would be much worse ideas.
    What about May’s deal. Or was there a war with Ireland clause I missed? :p
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

It's not *that* much of a problem for LD/ChUK, who only have 1 MEP between them, and whose prospects of gaining many are considerably lower if competing as two parties rather than one (even allowing that you can't put a single list up and assume all the voters who would back the two independently would swing behind an alliance).

There'd be much more of a problem for UKIP/Brexit, who must already have a lot of bad blood between them anyway, when they have sitting MEPs to protect.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

I don't think you can reliably distribute hydrogen over the existing gas network ?

In any event, that is hardly of importance to the major world population centres in 2050 - Asia and Africa.
    There is a potential problem with high pressure transmission of hydrogen - hydrogen embrittlement of carbon steel pipelines - not good! At the lower pressure distribution level, where the entire network will be plastic in a few years time, then there is no problem with hydrogen.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

May's deal includes a customs union. They just call it the 'backstop.'
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

It's not *that* much of a problem for LD/ChUK, who only have 1 MEP between them, and whose prospects of gaining many are considerably lower if competing as two parties rather than one (even allowing that you can't put a single list up and assume all the voters who would back the two independently would swing behind an alliance).

There'd be much more of a problem for UKIP/Brexit, who must already have a lot of bad blood between them anyway, when they have sitting MEPs to protect.
    Apparently, there's already a couple of Tory MEPs chicken-running to the CUK slate.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

Yup. And unless they've repealed those pesky thermodynamics laws, the amount of heat and energy required to produce the electricity to get the hydrogen is far greater than the heat and electricity saved by the hydrogen that you got. Unless we get it from the nearest free source of course, which is (thinks for a minute) the outer gas giant planets.

Pause.

Ok, that's not gonna work... :)
    In areas of excess generation capacity, whether solar or wind, the marginal cost of electricity is effectively zero.
    Of course, that implies an excess capital investment in those areas, which can only be recouped if renewable fuels are mandated.

The model is based on an assumption of zero emissions by 2050 - and clearly that requires a political lead - but demonstrates that it is achievable without making the cost of energy prohibitive.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

I was only focusing on remain; as you point out I couldn't see Brexit/UKIP joining together. LD and TIG should have done something for the reasons you give and could have prospered by doing so. Ideally I would have liked to see the Greens come into that and even the nationalist but then it just gets too difficult to coordinate who goes where on the list.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

That's a fair point, but as a backup, not the main option.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Who was the American mayor who on being called out for falsely claiming he had played baseball for Oakland Athletics, issued the unforgettable clarification: 'after researching the matter, I came to the conclusion I was not in fact drafted by the As'?

Because that's a more convincing lie than the series Burgon's been telling over this.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

That's a fair point, but as a backup, not the main option.
    And that is why I said 'all current options.' The idea of the backstop is it keeps an in a customs union until or unless a satisfactory way can be found to leave it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    edited April 2019
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

The other point is that Warren has burned through most of the cash she raised in the first quarter, apparently to little effect so far, whereas Harris and Buttigieg have kept most of what they raised.
    Apparently Warren has hired the largest team. No idea whether that's a good idea or not, but it speaks to a candidate who is confident of further fundraising

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1RS05W
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, aye, but that doesn't explain the logo cock-up.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

RobD said:

Cunning, isn't it?

According to the article that Mike linked, the problem was that the acronym isn't sufficiently known.
  • Options

They thought they could change the name, but keep the logo for the name that had been rejected. A party called "Change UK" with the logo "TIG" is meaningless.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for the link.

There is a potential problem with high pressure transmission of hydrogen - hydrogen embrittlement of carbon steel pipelines - not good! At the lower pressure distribution level, where the entire network will be plastic in a few years time, then there is no problem with hydrogen.
    Perhaps (though the safety case appears as yet unproven), but I'd question how worthwhile the investment in CO2 sequestration, which seems to be part of the plan, is likely to be.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Which is why the deal didn't pass the commons. Because the backstop put handcuffs on the UK for which the EU hold the keys.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Apparently Warren has hired the largest team. No idea whether that's a good idea or not, but it speaks to a candidate who is confident of further fundraising

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1RS05W
    Or one who has gone all in at the start of the game.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

The numbers overall are relatively small though, by American standards: $70m between them in 2019Q1, which compares with $81m back in the equivalent quarter in 2007. And Sanders - who raised most on the Democrat field, at $18m - was still a good deal short of Trump's $30m.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/the-latest-democratic-hopefuls-raise-75m-in-1st-quarter/2019/04/16/849274d4-6004-11e9-bf24-db4b9fb62aa2_story.html?utm_term=.43973d5bf1a4
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    Who was the American mayor who on being called out for falsely claiming he had played baseball for Oakland Athletics, issued the unforgettable clarification: 'after researching the matter, I came to the conclusion I was not in fact drafted by the As'?

Because that's a more convincing lie than the series Burgon's been telling over this.
    I'd never realised that transparent bollocks were a thing, but Burgon has proved them so.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sandpit said:

They thought they could change the name, but keep the logo for the name that had been rejected. A party called "Change UK" with the logo "TIG" is meaningless.
    So far if getting elected is an exam, the CUKs are finding it a huge struggle to write their name at the top of the answer sheet. Heaven help us when they move onto their actual questions, like "what do you stand for?", "what are your policies?", and "why should we vote for you?"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Jonathan said:

That's fair, but also they may have been kiboshed by Tom Watson's rapid counter-offensive of creating TIG-within-Labour to head off further defections.

Jonathan said:

It was a very smart move. There’s still a bunch of MPs in Labour who are liable to moan every time the regularly scheduled anti-semitism scandal breaks again, but they’ve essentially committed to staying in the party no matter what the leadership or its members may do. Tiggers had a very tough job, but they do seem to have failed to grab much attention. And new parties get their logos approved every week practically, it is not hard.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Scott_P said:

One of the less believable of apologies, given his very firm denials previously. He would have known if he said something like that, and equivocated more. But it should pass muster with the party faithful, these sorts of things always do, left and right.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Why does Change UK still have "The Independent Group" as its name on both its website and Twitter?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Bri

Thanks for the link.

"ramatic.

Perhaps (though the safety case appears as yet unproven), but I'd question how worthwhile the investment in CO2 sequestration, which seems to be part of the plan, is likely to be.
    The CO2 transport and storage infrastructure can be utilised by multiple sectors - power generation, hydrogen production and industry (e.g. cement, steel, oil refining, petrochemicals - some of which cannot decarbonise without carbon capture), thereby facilitating carbon capture from multiple sources and reducing the cost per tonne of CO2 captured and stored.
This discussion has been closed.