Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Euro elections are all about vote shares not how many MEPs

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Euro elections are all about vote shares not how many MEPs each party secures

Lots of talk today about the various lists that the parties are putting up for the unexpected euro elections on May 23rd. To remind ourselves in this election voters put a cross by a party name in a particular region and their votes are allocated according to a complex system that seeks to proportionately distribute the numbers of MEPs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    First (probably unlike me on May 2nd).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848
    At the moment, certainty to vote (judging by polls) is higher on the Remain side than the Leave side. But, YouGov suggest that this advantage is diminishing which you'd expect, as interest in the campaign grows.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,602
    Labour isn't exactly anti-Brexit, though.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    JohnO said:

which party are you standing for ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    So, in the minds of the various competing Remain factions, vote share is more important that the number or MEPs elected. Will they have the same mindset for the next general election?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    JohnO said:

So the yellow peril is catching up with you in Esher?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited April 2019
    Nigelb said:

Labour isn't exactly anti-Brexit, though.

For most of its supporters it's as good as anti Brexit. Unless TIG does well I should think Lab will win as a result, if they sweep up the remain vote.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    For this purpose UKIP+Brexit+CON+DUP will be seen as the pro-Brexit total while LAB+SNP+LD+CHK+GRN+PC the anti Brexit total.

You might like that to be the case, Mike. But unless Labour get off the fence (which, tactically, is the right place for them to be) then they can't be part of that equation.
  • Options

JohnO said:

JohnO is a prominent Tory
  • Options

JohnO said:

Shame, I had him down as the DUP councillor in Surrey :-)
  • Options

For this purpose UKIP+Brexit+CON+DUP will be seen as the pro-Brexit total while LAB+SNP+LD+CHK+GRN+PC the anti Brexit total.

You might like that to be the case, Mike. But unless Labour get off the fence (which, tactically, is the right place for them to be) then they can't be part of that equation.

The question then is whether UKIP+Brexit+CON+DUP gets 50%.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    FPT
    Scott_P said:
    Nigel's a wilely old thing. I get the impression he's trying to capture the Cameronite centre ground that the Tories have recently abandoned - hence his withering denunciations of UKIP and edging away from Trump. It would be terrible for the Tories if they found themselves frozen out under the leadership of Rees-Mogg while Nigel struts his stuff under the One Nation banner.
  • Options

Change U.K. have pissed me off with their inability to work with the LDs. Strategic blunder of the highest order.

The problem with them is they see themselves as the beginning of a new centrist force, like En Marche, but there is no sign at all that the public wish them to perform that role.

The have one job to do right now, which is foil Brexit. Everything else is trivia.

Indeed. And in that context it is surprising and disappointing that they have said they would not support a VONC. Such a vote might well put a further spanner in the Brexit works, TIGs position seems to be that their careers come before the national interest. Just like the old politics they claim to be so strongly opposed to.
    They sacrificed their careers . They are now fearful of losing their seats, clearly, but careerists that does not make them.

• Options

I think they will come tantalisingly close.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited April 2019
    FPT @Benpointer

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:
    2% annual wealth tax is pretty high by international standards
    She’s also careful to avoid mentioning that it would need to be levied annually. So over 20 years it would expropriate more than half of someone’s wealth. Obviously that definitely won’t result in any changes in behaviour whatsoever..
    How does that maths work?
    It doesn't. 0.98 to the power 20 is 0.67, so one third over 20 years.
    I mean bloody hell though.
    The other way of looking at it is you should be able to generate a return of about 6.0% (CPI + 4%) on a consistent basis with a balanced portfolio.

You currently pay 40% income tax on this (for simplicity), so your return after tax is 3.6% (or CPI + 1.6%)

If you have a flat charge of 2% p.a. on top of this then your return would be 1.6%

Effectively you will be taking all of the return in excess of inflation plus a small slice, so the asset pool would diminish in real terms.

The crossover is at a return of about 6.75% which is pretty punchy by most standards (my asset managers have delivered around 6.5% p.a. over the last 7 years with a moderate amount of risk).
    Surely the whole point is to shrink the assets of the super rich, and to redistribute?

The problem is that they are switching investible capital into revenue spending.

So, effectively, they are reducing the stock of investible capital which will make the country worse off over time.

Fundamentally, government redistribution/social spending should be funded from revenue based taxes (income tax, sales tax, profits tax, etc) while government service provision should be funded by flattish/non-profit based taxes.

Wealth is better taxed on the income that it generates than on the capital itself.
    Better for whom?
    Better for everyone, in my view.

If you convert wealth to revenue spending you end up with no assets. It's better to leave surplus assets as income generating.

If you want to redistribute wealth just do it - take a slice and park it into a sovereign wealth fund or something.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

48%?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

JohnO said:

Shame, I had him down as the DUP councillor in Surrey :-)
    I’ve just heard back from the peerage office regarding prospects for JohnO’s dukedom: “Never, never, never!”
  • Options

It would be funnier if they got 52%
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    I would concentrate on two camps.
    Brexit+UKIP vs Green+LibDem+TIG

I'd also look at England alone.

Labour and Tories are still, just about, electoral coalitions on this question. So it's about weighing the weight of the extreme to each side. The various (non-English) Nationalists only confuse the issue - this is a question of English Nationalism.
  • Options

Lol, that's the same question.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I can tell things are bad for the conservatives. theyve actually sent me some leaflets normally they only deliver stuff when they are panicking
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

At the moment, certainty to vote (judging by polls) is higher on the Remain side than the Leave side. But, YouGov suggest that this advantage is diminishing which you'd expect, as interest in the campaign grows.

I suspect that will continue, as Farage’s message cuts through.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Charles said:

Will any of them get the 6M the revoke petition got?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    edited April 2019
    dud
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447
    kle4 said:
    'misogynism'?
    Misogyny, surely. Or sexism.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LOL at people still claiming Labour are "on the fence" on Brexit, when Joe Public's perception of Labour is that they've spent every waking moment over the past few months trying to prevent Brexit (something which is usually not seen favourably even by a lot of people who voted Remain that I know IRL).

If Corbyn had acted differently on any of the key votes over the past few months (the votes on May's deal, on preventing No Deal, on extending Article 50), we would be out of the EU already. The #FBPE nutters might not like that, since they seem to want to believe Corbyn is some secret Brexit agent who has some Machiavellian strategy to take us to the hardest Brexit possible, but it's the facts.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently if we got a new PM, they would "solve" Brexit in a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, we don't have a new PM because...

https://twitter.com/rowenamason/status/1120683524766486530
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Charles said:

FPT @Benpointer

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:
    She’s also careful to avoid mentioning that it would need to be levied annually. So over 20 years it would expropriate more than half of someone’s wealth. Obviously that definitely won’t result in any changes in behaviour whatsoever..
    The other way of looking at it is you should be able to generate a return of about 6.0% (CPI + 4%) on a consistent basis with a balanced portfolio.

You currently pay 40% income tax on this (for simplicity), so your return after tax is 3.6% (or CPI + 1.6%)

If you have a flat charge of 2% p.a. on top of this then your return would be 1.6%

Effectively you will be taking all of the return in excess of inflation plus a small slice, so the asset pool would diminish in real terms.

The crossover is at a return of about 6.75% which is pretty punchy by most standards (my asset managers have delivered around 6.5% p.a. over the last 7 years with a moderate amount of risk).
    Surely the whole point is to shrink the assets of the super rich, and to redistribute?

The problem is that they are switching investible capital into revenue spending.

So, effectively, they are reducing the stock of investible capital which will make the country worse off over time.

Fundamentally, government redistribution/social spending should be funded from revenue based taxes (income tax, sales tax, profits tax, etc) while government service provision should be funded by flattish/non-profit based taxes.

Wealth is better taxed on the income that it generates than on the capital itself.
    Better for whom?

If you convert wealth to revenue spending you end up with no assets. It's better to leave surplus assets as income generating.

If you want to redistribute wealth just do it - take a slice and park it into a sovereign wealth fund or something.
    Your second paragraph is certainly sound advice for individuals fortunate enough to have the assets in the first place; I was more interested in what was best for the country.

I suspect the next Labour government will be introducing a wealth tax.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Just in terms of political attention, I'm not sure it's correct that vote share will get more attention than seats won. It's simpler to report "Brexit won 37 seats to Labour's 34 and Tories' 18 " than "Brexit won 26.7% to Labour's 22.3% and Conservatives' 18.2%", and the media nearly always go for the simpler option.

In most cases it won't matter, but if there are lots of UKIP/ChUK/Green/etc. votes which don't produce any seats, then I suspect most reports won't count them in at all. Certainly I doubt if they'll add them up in a mock coalition - the big parties especially are not monolithic on Brexit, and even LibDems and Greens have minorities of supporters who take the opposite view.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Trump state visit is the final nail in the coffin for any possibility of a GE before October.

One won't be called during Local or Euros campaign, he won't be coming during a GE campaign and once he's gone (June 5) it's then too late to dissolve Parliament and have a 5 week campaign in time for a GE before the Summer holidays.

Earliest possible now is for it to be called when Parliament comes back for two weeks in early September which would give a GE mid October.

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

Change U.K. have pissed me off with their inability to work with the LDs. Strategic blunder of the highest order.

The problem with them is they see themselves as the beginning of a new centrist force, like En Marche, but there is no sign at all that the public wish them to perform that role.

The have one job to do right now, which is foil Brexit. Everything else is trivia.

Indeed. And in that context it is surprising and disappointing that they have said they would not support a VONC. Such a vote might well put a further spanner in the Brexit works, TIGs position seems to be that their careers come before the national interest. Just like the old politics they claim to be so strongly opposed to.
    They sacrificed their careers . They are now fearful of losing their seats, clearly, but careerists that does not make them.

Surely the ex-Labour TIGs must believe that May's policy is utterly ruinous to the national interest? She is going against everything they profess to believe in. Brexit, austerity, xenophobia, cosying up to Trump etc etc etc are all anathema. Why are they in politics? For their own personal gratification or to serve the national interest?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

Did that thing ever reach 17M? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Charles said:

Charles said:

Better for whom?

If you convert wealth to revenue you end up with no assets. It's better to leave surplus assets as income generating.

Your second paragraph is certainly sound advice for individuals fortunate enough to have the assets in the first place; I was more interested in what was best for the country.

I'm trying to think about what's best for the country as well!

This isn't about the *ownership* of the assets but how they are used.

For example I am pretty relaxed about governments financing capital investment through debt. I get much more nervous about them funding current expenditure through debt.

This is exactly the same logic here: if you have an asset then it shouldn't be "spent". That's a different question to whether it should be owned by the state or owned by private individuals.

Re: the next government introducing a wealth tax, I suspect you are right. I hope that they don't - far better that they introduce a property tax as that is much simpler to administer and harder to avoid.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited April 2019
    I am not entirely certain this image gives the message they think it does...

• Options
    Danny565 said:

LOL at people still claiming Labour are "on the fence" on Brexit, when Joe Public's perception of Labour is that they've spent every waking moment over the past few months trying to prevent Brexit (something which is usually not seen favourably even by a lot of people who voted Remain that I know IRL).

If Corbyn had acted differently on any of the key votes over the past few months (the votes on May's deal, on preventing No Deal, on extending Article 50), we would be out of the EU already. The #FBPE nutters might not like that, since they seem to want to believe Corbyn is some secret Brexit agent who has some Machiavellian strategy to take us to the hardest Brexit possible, but it's the facts.

Oh, I don't think Labour are obligated to pass what they would call a "Tory Brexit". They clearly place getting a Labour government (or at least the GE that might lead to one) ahead of whatever might happen with Brexit. But it's pretty clear that a large chunk of the party, including the leadership, are not against Brexit per se. Hence the lack of enthusiasm for a second referendum, which is the obvious way to try to cancel Brexit.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,297
    Scott_P said:

I am not entirely certain this image gives the message they think it does...

Happy St George's Day!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Charles said:

It would depend how high the turnout was. If turnout reaches 50% then either Labour or Brexit (or both) could do it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Surely the ex-Labour TIGs must believe that May's policy is utterly ruinous to the national interest? She is going against everything they profess to believe in. Brexit, austerity, xenophobia, cosying up to Trump etc etc etc are all anathema. Why are they in politics? For their own personal gratification or to serve the national interest?
    But, then they'd never have left Labour, if that was the case.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Better for whom?

If you convert wealth to revenue you end up with no assets. It's better to leave surplus assets as income generating.

For example I am pretty relaxed about governments financing capital investment through debt. I get much more nervous about them funding current expenditure through debt.

This is exactly the same logic here: if you have an asset then it shouldn't be "spent". That's a different question to whether it should be owned by the state or owned by private individuals.

Re: the next government introducing a wealth tax, I suspect you are right. I hope that they don't - far better that they introduce a property tax as that is much simpler to administer and harder to avoid.
    Charles - don't you think there's any point at which ownership becomes problematic?

If the US becomes an oligarchy, then how assets are 'used' becomes very difficult to regulate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,297
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:
    'misogynism'?
    Misogyny, surely. Or sexism.
    Misorgynism and Racy?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Here’s how to solve Brexit: vote for the WA. Shame the ERG are too thick-headed to realise this.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

kle4 said:

I think the Tiggers would split on a no-confidence vote. Leslie and Umunna would know that their chances of holding their seats would drop from 5% to zero if they voted to prop up a Tory government, so I think they would vote against. The reverse would be true for Heidi Allen or Sarah Wollaston if they were seen to be "letting in Corbyn".
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Just in terms of political attention, I'm not sure it's correct that vote share will get more attention than seats won. It's simpler to report "Brexit won 37 seats to Labour's 34 and Tories' 18 " than "Brexit won 26.7% to Labour's 22.3% and Conservatives' 18.2%", and the media nearly always go for the simpler option.

In most cases it won't matter, but if there are lots of UKIP/ChUK/Green/etc. votes which don't produce any seats, then I suspect most reports won't count them in at all. Certainly I doubt if they'll add them up in a mock coalition - the big parties especially are not monolithic on Brexit, and even LibDems and Greens have minorities of supporters who take the opposite view.

I think this is correct. In order, I'd suggest the fallout will be measured by:

1. Winning on seats nationally (single party)
    2. Winning on vote share nationally (if different)

3. "No Deal" coalition vs "Remain" coalition result, by vote share, then seats
    4. Mike's wider coalitions above, by vote share, then seats

5. Amusing calculations about how much better a Remain Party would have done
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    FPT
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

This and Sandpit's post both amount to the same thing: that this kind of tax would prevent you and your children and your children's children and so on from sitting on a sufficiently large pot of wealth and getting richer and richer without ever doing anything else to earn an income. If you did that, your wealth would instead gradually diminish over time. Personally, I'd call that a good thing.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited April 2019
    Trump also realistically blocks leadership challenge to May (even with a rule change) until after June 5 - earliest timetable would then be MP nominations and ballots in mid / late June - final two decided in last week of June - then ballot papers to members with 6 to 8 weeks to return giving new leader at start of September when Parliament returns. No point in having new leader in August.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Better for whom?

Charles - don't you think there's any point at which ownership becomes problematic?

If the US becomes an oligarchy, then how assets are 'used' becomes very difficult to regulate.
    Yes there is - it's been a while since I looked at the academic literature, but there's definitely a point at which it is an economic negative. However excessive disparity tends to be politically unstable so it's self correcting over time.

• Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    The narrative will surely be (if polls translate the votes) Nigel Farage's grinning face.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

I think the Tiggers would split on a no-confidence vote. Leslie and Umunna would know that their chances of holding their seats would drop from 5% to zero if they voted to prop up a Tory government, so I think they would vote against. The reverse would be true for Heidi Allen or Sarah Wollaston if they were seen to be "letting in Corbyn".
    Surely not a split, but a free vote?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Sorry but this thread is spurious nonsense.

Mike you usually get most things right. But this time you've departed from your usual mantra, which is to eschew twisting polls or votes to suit your outcome. What you are attempting here is beyond contrived, it's ridiculous.

For it to work, you'd need to be sure that everyone voting Conservative was voting Leave and everyone voting Labour was voting Remain. Stop and think for a second just what nonsense that is. Those two main parties are way bigger than the Brexit issue and, even in Euro elections, participants will vote for them because they are their parties of choice. Furthermore, many Conservative loyalists as well as those Tories who are Remainers will vote Conservative.

So it's just junk. Sorry.

The most you 'might' attempt is UKIP + Brexit vs SNP + Green + TIG but even that is thoroughly contrived, wild extrapolation.

I expect better of you, Mike.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yes there is - it's been a while since I looked at the academic literature, but there's definitely a point at which it is an economic negative. However excessive disparity tends to be politically unstable so it's self correcting over time.

Isn't that (arguably) what's happening now?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Better for whom?

I am not really sure what "spent" means though in this context.

If you own a 1000 acres and live off the proceeds, at some point you might have to sell some of that land to pay a wealth tax but those acres you sell still exist, just in different ownership.

Similarly with stocks and other assets.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Charles said:

far better that they introduce a property tax as that is much simpler to administer and harder to avoid.

Isn't that council tax ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Lol, that's the same question.
    To be fair to Mike it’s not the worst expectations management on here, there are those who want to include Labour AND the Conservatives for Remain
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Trump also realistically blocks leadership challenge to May (even with a rule change) until after June 5 - earliest timetable would then be MP nominations and ballots in mid / late June - final two decided in last week of June - then ballot papers to members with 6 to 8 weeks to return giving new leader at start of September when Parliament returns. No point in having new leader in August.

It'll never be the "right time"...
  • Options
    houndtang said:

The narrative will surely be (if polls translate the votes) Nigel Farage's grinning face.

Can we get smiling Farages for Brexit party poll leads?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

He’s probably only coming over to congratulate Nige on the Euro win
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I thought Scott P would be doing that
  • Options

FPT

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

This and Sandpit's post both amount to the same thing: that this kind of tax would prevent you and your children and your children's children and so on from sitting on a sufficiently large pot of wealth and getting richer and richer without ever doing anything else to earn an income. If you did that, your wealth would instead gradually diminish over time. Personally, I'd call that a good thing.
    On financial assets, certainly. However a lot of the wealth is tied up in productive assets (e.g. companies) or assets that have substantial marriage value (e.g. houses with their hinterland) - it would be an economic negative to force the break up of these assets)

(* for the record, Attlee forced us to split our house and garden from the productive land that supported it. But given the choice today we'd have found a way to keep the garden :smiley: )
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I have confirmed that chocolate orange fudge is tasty. The science continues.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I thought Scott P would be doing that
    Does @Scott_P hate Nige more than @BuckJeffferson on twitter hates Peter Hitchens?
  • Options
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Better for whom?

I am not really sure what "spent" means though in this context.

If you own a 1000 acres and live off the proceeds, at some point you might have to sell some of that land to pay a wealth tax but those acres you sell still exist, just in different ownership.

Similarly with stocks and other assets.
    Not really.

Fundamentally the stock privately held wealth is being reduced to fund government spending.

If the land wasn't sold then the capital that would otherwise have been used to acquire it would have increased the overall stock of assets. (Trying to think about the economy as a whole not an individual)
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Charles said:

FPT

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

On financial assets, certainly. However a lot of the wealth is tied up in productive assets (e.g. companies) or assets that have substantial marriage value (e.g. houses with their hinterland) - it would be an economic negative to force the break up of these assets)

(* for the record, Attlee forced us to split our house and garden from the productive land that supported it. But given the choice today we'd have found a way to keep the garden :smiley: )
    Stupid Communism ... coming soon to a (formerly) 1st world nation near you!
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Danny565 said:

I can't help thinking you are just viewing it from the individual (or family) perspective Charles.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

far better that they introduce a property tax as that is much simpler to administer and harder to avoid.

Isn't that council tax ?
    My preference is for a US style property tax. (And yes, there are ways to protect widows and orphans living in mansions)
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone.

I have confirmed that chocolate orange fudge is tasty. The science continues.

Baker and renowned trebuchet designer? Is there nothing you cannot do? :o
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98
    It's not reasonable to classify Labour as anti-Brexit given they support Brexit in theory and messaging and have been on the fence in practice.
  • Options

JohnO said:

The blue luvlies in what should be a usually safeish ward.
  • Options

JohnO said:

So the yellow peril is catching up with you in Esher?

No, worse, the Independents in Weybridge St George’s Hill. The LibDems are the main challengers in the next door seat.
  • Options

Charles said:

I can't help thinking you are just viewing it from the individual (or family) perspective Charles.
    No, genuinely not!

The vast bulk of my family's wealth is tied up in the company - there would normally be an exemption for that.

Assets can be converted into assets and income into spending, but assets into spending is a poor long term strategy.

As I said: if you want to redistribute assets then (a) take a slice of private wealth and move it to a sovereign wealth fund; or (b) use it to repay government debt
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,998

Well, the Old Families are special. ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. D, persuade significant numbers of people to buy my books, alas. Self-promotion is a weak spot of mine.

Also, I bought said fudge, so the credit goes to a friend of mine.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I expect the headbangers will regard this as entirely acceptable behaviour:

https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1120663812129075204
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I see no sign of an 'average' there - just the plotting of individual polls.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Isn't that council tax ?
    My preference is for a US style property tax. (And yes, there are ways to protect widows and orphans living in mansions)
    I pay/have paid 0.8 to ~ 1.5% of property value p.a. up here. (New house/old house) - it is very commensurate with US property tax rates :

https://files.taxfoundation.org/legacy/docs/property_taxes-01.png
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Quite. Last Summer it was being confidently predicted on all sides that May would get a WA and it would be passed with a large number of Labour votes. Estimates as high as 70 were banded about IIRC. Tory ultras would not support it but that would not matter as Labour MPs in leave seats would do the necessary.

And what happened? May got her WA, the Tory ultras did not support it and....Labour MPs in leave seats did not support it either. Only a tiny handful of Labour MPs have rebelled and voted for the WA in any of the three votes. And Labour has solidly voted against no deal and (slightly less solidly) for the Cooper Letwin bill. Labour has prevented Brexit so far, it is continuing (via the "talks") to prevent Brexit now, and it will continue to do so in the future. Corbyn may or may not like that (he probably doesn't care much either way) but the facts are there.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Isn't that council tax ?
    I pay/have paid 0.8 to ~ 1.5% of property value p.a. up here. (New house/old house) - it is very commensurate with US property tax rates :

I pay about 0.03%

About 1% would be fair.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Here’s how to solve Brexit: vote for the WA. Shame the ERG are too thick-headed to realise this.
    The only way to solve the Brexit impasse is a forced choice between Deal and No Deal from a PM willing to stop can kicking.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No, genuinely not!

The vast bulk of my family's wealth is tied up in the company - there would normally be an exemption for that.

Assets can be converted into assets and income into spending, but assets into spending is a poor long term strategy.

As I said: if you want to redistribute assets then (a) take a slice of private wealth and move it to a sovereign wealth fund; or (b) use it to repay government debt
    Which (assets/expenditure) was what Macmillan was getting at when he complained that Mrs T was "selling the family silver".
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

Sean_F said:

I can tell things are bad for the conservatives. theyve actually sent me some leaflets normally they only deliver stuff when they are panicking
    In my heavily Leave Conservative ward they’ve sent us a big glossy window poster-cross-leaflet. Searching for one in anyone’s window will be like a whole new Easter Egg hunt....

Nothing from Lab or Kippers yet.

Lib Dem’s strategically not talking about the B word.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Quite. Last Summer it was being confidently predicted on all sides that May would get a WA and it would be passed with a large number of Labour votes. Estimates as high as 70 were banded about IIRC. Tory ultras would not support it but that would not matter as Labour MPs in leave seats would do the necessary.

And what happened? May got her WA, the Tory ultras did not support it and....Labour MPs in leave seats did not support it either. Only a tiny handful of Labour MPs have rebelled and voted for the WA in any of the three votes. And Labour has solidly voted against no deal and (slightly less solidly) for the Cooper Letwin bill. Labour has prevented Brexit so far, it is continuing (via the "talks") to prevent Brexit now, and it will continue to do so in the future. Corbyn may or may not like that (he probably doesn't care much either way) but the facts are there.
    If Labour wanted to Remain, they would have forced a second referendum by now. They have frustrated both sides because they are... on the fence.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

No, genuinely not!

Which (assets/expenditure) was what Macmillan was getting at when he complained that Mrs T was "selling the family silver".
    Given most of that silver was generating losses, that analogy doesn't hold.
  • Options

I wonder though, if the Brexit Party really does crush Labour in a lot of their Northern and Midlands areas in the Euro elections, whether 30 or so Labour MPs start panicking and pass May's deal.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Wouldn’t it be far more up/down with individual polls? More likely that the average is computed at each date a new poll comes in.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Isn't that council tax ?

I pay about 0.03%

About 1% would be fair.
    If property tax replaced council and was set to 1% of a home's say 2015 value (Updating say each 10 years) I assume the papers would lead on the big tax cut for northern terraced and small semi owners :) ?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    Danny565 said:

I wonder though, if the Brexit Party really does crush Labour in a lot of their Northern and Midlands areas in the Euro elections, whether 30 or so Labour MPs start panicking and pass May's deal.
    That would play into Farage’s hands. May’s deal is a ‘betrayal’, remember. Passing it would allow him to use that line for the rest of his career.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

Wouldn’t it be far more up/down with individual polls? More likely that the average is computed at each date a new poll comes in.
    There have not been enough polls yet to produce a worthwhile moving average.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Sorry but this thread is spurious nonsense.

Mike you usually get most things right. But this time you've departed from your usual mantra, which is to eschew twisting polls or votes to suit your outcome. What you are attempting here is beyond contrived, it's ridiculous.

For it to work, you'd need to be sure that everyone voting Conservative was voting Leave and everyone voting Labour was voting Remain. Stop and think for a second just what nonsense that is. Those two main parties are way bigger than the Brexit issue and, even in Euro elections, participants will vote for them because they are their parties of choice. Furthermore, many Conservative loyalists as well as those Tories who are Remainers will vote Conservative.

So it's just junk. Sorry.

The most you 'might' attempt is UKIP + Brexit vs SNP + Green + TIG but even that is thoroughly contrived, wild extrapolation.

I expect better of you, Mike.

to be fair to mike the sort of calculations he proposes were, rightly or wrongly, the exact ones I was planning on doing after the euro elections. whether or not we leave the EU is a much bigger deal than who is representing us in the euro parliament for 6 months or 5 years.

you're right you can't be too certain about what you read into the aggregate vote shares but you can be sure that if activists can make the results confirm what they believe they will be shouting it very loudly.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Extraordinary. I can honestly see the Tory Party disintegrating - all party loyalty has gone. Hard Brexit is now absolutely everything.
  • Options
    JackJack said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

The only way to solve the Brexit impasse is a forced choice between Deal and No Deal from a PM willing to stop can kicking.
    May does not have the power to force such a choice even if she wanted to. Parliament could reject both and opt for continued delay, as it has done up to now. The EU could decide to refuse further A50 extensions, but throwing out a member state in that way would probably not be a precedent it would want to set.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Perhaps the lack of awareness about the importance of branding is part of the reason they’ve had such an atrocious launch.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

That would play into Farage’s hands. May’s deal is a ‘betrayal’, remember. Passing it would allow him to use that line for the rest of his career.
    Most people will be glad progress is being made. I doubt anything more than a small, but vocal, minority will view it as a betrayal.
This discussion has been closed.