Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden might be topping the polls for the Democratic nomination

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden might be topping the polls for the Democratic nomination but the questions remain

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930
    Where's this come from. Just happened to notice it at the top of the page.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    FPT

BBC News - MP Johnny Mercer's salary funded by failed bond scheme marketing agent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47884273

Always said Johnny Mercer had really poor judgment.
    [Sunil whistles innocently]

TheScreamingEagles Posts: 73,455
    November 2017 edited November 2017

I've always said Johnny Mercer is awesome, more proof:

"Theresa May is jeopardising the 'integrity and credibility' of our party, senior MP says in blistering attack.

"Johnny Mercer has been to war and can recognise chaos when he sees it. The Conservative MP, tipped as a future leader, believes a state of ‘anarchy’ is in danger of engulfing his party.

"In an interview with the Telegraph today, the former Army captain, who served with distinction in Afghanistan, fires a warning shot in Theresa May’s direction that she needs to urgently get a grip on a ‘depressing’ series of events. If she doesn’t, he says, the nation will be wrecked by the “existential threat’ posed by the prospect of Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street and John McDonnell living next door.

"Mr Mercer’s comments will fuel the crisis overwhelming Mrs May. The disastrous election, the resignation within a week of two Cabinet ministers and the ongoing Westminster sex scandal has led Mr Mercer to conclude that Mrs May’s premiership has reached a ‘critical point’. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/12/theresa-may-jeopardising-integrity-credibility-party-senior/

http://politicalbetting.vanillacommunity.com/post/quote/5651/Comment_1770563
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2019
    Mayor Pete is in potential big trouble now. Bernie is advocating votes for terrorists (Jezza up your game son). Media have gone cold on no policies Beto.

Could Creepy Uncle Joe just get it as he is the most sensible sounding credible of all of them?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited April 2019
    I’m laying the oldies in this market.

Still feeling confident, haven’t felt this confident since last year when I effectively laid Labour to win Barnet when they were the 1/8 favourites.
  • Options

I’m laying the oldies in thus market.

Still feeling confident, haven’t felt this confident since last year when I effectively laid Labour to win Barnet when they were the 1/8 favourites.

Re your avatar, have you lost another bet?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited April 2019

I’m a United fan today, and for today only. If they beat or draw with Citeh the destiny of the title is back in Liverpool’s hands.

GGMU.
  • Options

I’m a United fan today, and for today only. If they beat or draw with Citeh the destiny of the title is back in Liverpool’s hands.

GGMU.
    So you are joining another good Yorkshire lad, James Milner, in supporting them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited April 2019
    Sanders comfortably leads the latest New Hampshire primary poll and is just a point behind Biden in the latest Iowa caucus poll.

If Sanders wins both Iowa and New Hampshire momentum alone will probably see him win the nomination shortly after especially given Sanders has a huge war chest already and can saturate the big states with TV ads
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Elizabeth Warren is outstanding value there. She's got loads of money, plenty of support, charismatic, knows her stuff, knows her base. She should look good in the debates.

Unfortunately the polling seems to suggest that she'd lose to Trump, but one thing at a time...
  • Options

GGMU.
    Not sure that Manchester might not decide to Unite and see Liverpool's agony

Mind you I have no idea which United will turn up
  • Options

GGMU.
    So you are joining another good Yorkshire lad, James Milner, in supporting them.
    Yes
  • Options
    JackJackJackJack Posts: 98

What does it matter who leads the Conservative Party? Nothing changes:

1. Parliament will not allow no deal
    2. Parliament will not pass a deal except perhaps a customs union
    3. Any Tory leader who proposes a customs union will no longer be Tory leader
    4. The only way to break the impasse is a General Election. Which Tory/CHUK MPs will not vote for

Ergo, continued stalemate until the Fixed Term Parliaments Act forces a general election in summer 2022. Our MEPs will serve out their full term...

People keep saying that parliament will not allow no deal but they do not have executive power. They can pass a law insisting the PM agrees an extension, but the PM can just fail to achieve that, saying they could not come to terms. Parliament could pass a law saying we should agree to whatever terms the EU wants, but that would be suicide for a General Election. It could replace the PM with Jeremy Corbyn but the dissident Tories/CUKs wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635

Mayor Pete is in potential big trouble now.

I like potential big trouble. It's so much less troubling than actual big trouble. Unfortunately, potential big trouble so often becomes actual big trouble. That's the trouble with trouble, it's troubling.

• Options

GGMU.

Told you Ole was a bad appointment.

Should have gone for Poch.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sanders comfortably leads the latest New Hampshire primary poll and is just a point behind Biden in the latest Iowa caucus poll.

If Sanders wins both Iowa and New Hampshire momentum alone will probably see him win the nomination shortly after

Sanders can't just win on momentum, too much of the party hate him too much. If he wins Iowa and New Hampshire the best that gets him is a long slugging match where he's in the 2016 Hillary spot and somebody else is in the Bernie spot.
  • Options

Elizabeth Warren is outstanding value there. She's got loads of money, plenty of support, charismatic, knows her stuff, knows her base. She should look good in the debates.

Unfortunately the polling seems to suggest that she'd lose to Trump, but one thing at a time...

She is also acceptable to all wings of the party in a contested convention. As for polling, she is ahead in all Clinton states and also Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If Sanders wins both Iowa and New Hampshire momentum alone will probably see him win the nomination shortly after

Sanders can't just win on momentum, too much of the party hate him too much. If he wins Iowa and New Hampshire the best that gets him is a long slugging match where he's in the 2016 Hillary spot and somebody else is in the Bernie spot.
    Sanders has 70% approval among Democrats, higher than everyone but Biden.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    JackJack said:

She is also acceptable to all wings of the party in a contested convention. As for polling, she is ahead in all Clinton states and also Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan.
    Pocahontas will never be President.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

Warren does actually seem like the one who'd be the best POTUS but that counts for fuck all.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

Mayor Pete is in potential big trouble now.

I like potential big trouble. It's so much less troubling than actual big trouble. Unfortunately, potential big trouble so often becomes actual big trouble. That's the trouble with trouble, it's troubling.

Well there is a scandal during his time as Mayor re a police chief recording officers using racist language. The issue seems to be not only his decisions at the time (to demote the police chief and some other city officials), but he has since given misleading / factually incorrect answers.

There is potential for it to be a lot bigger, perhaps he just was misinformed / made poor decisions or perhaps something worse.
  • Options
    She sounds like something out of Viz meets the Daily Mash.

KUWAITI ACADEMIC CLAIMS GAY MEN HAVE AN 'ANAL WORM' THAT 'FEEDS ON SEMEN'
    Mariam Al-Sohel argued the anal worm makes gay men attracted to other men

An academic in Kuwait has claimed she has a ‘cure’ for homosexuality saying gay men have an ‘anal worm’ that ‘feeds on semen’.

Mariam Al-Sohel claimed on Scope TV that she believes there are four genders – male, female, feminine gay men and butch lesbians – and she explained how she has found a cure for being gay based on Islamic prophecy.

She said: “I discovered therapeutic suppositories that curb the sexual urges of boys of the third gender.

“As well as the fourth gender, which is butch lesbians. This is all science, so there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

https://attitude.co.uk/article/kuwaiti-academic-claims-gay-men-have-an-anal-worm-that-feeds-on-semen/20804/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    JackJack said:

4. The only way to break the impasse is a General Election. Which Tory/CHUK MPs will not vote for

Ergo, continued stalemate until the Fixed Term Parliaments Act forces a general election in summer 2022. Our MEPs will serve out their full term...

People keep saying that parliament will not allow no deal but they do not have executive power. They can pass a law insisting the PM agrees an extension, but the PM can just fail to achieve that, saying they could not come to terms. Parliament could pass a law saying we should agree to whatever terms the EU wants, but that would be suicide for a General Election. It could replace the PM with Jeremy Corbyn but the dissident Tories/CUKs wouldn't do that.
    If Corbyn becoming PM was the only way to stop No Deal , would TIG seek to block him?His parliamentary position would be weak and they would enjoy significant leverage in such circumstances.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

JackJack said:

Pocahontas will never be President.
    You may be right, but that's not the bet...
  • Options

GGMU.

Told you Ole was a bad appointment.

Should have gone for Poch.
    No - Ole is the future
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    ‪Do they know what happened to Oliver Cromwell ? ‬

Posthumous execution for Farage anyone ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    JackJack said:

We had all this with Brexit will happen on March 31st so no-dealers just needed to wait and they would reach their nirvana. This parliament will do whatever it takes to stop no-deal, including deciding who the prime minister is if they go down that route. It does not have to be Corbyn, although he is a possible.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    JackJack said:

Oh lord. Not the resurrection of the Bill Cash argument.

Yep, you're right. Could ... could ... could ... could ... could.

But won't.
  • Options

JackJack said:

We had all this with Brexit will happen on March 31st so no-dealers just needed to wait and they would reach their nirvana. This parliament will do whatever it takes to stop no-deal, including deciding who the prime minister is if they go down that route. It does not have to be Corbyn, although he is a possible.
    Note that Geoffrey Cox informed the prime minister she would be breaking the law if she failed to follow MPs instructions.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    The top ChUK candidate in Scottish list has resigned because of some things he tweeted

http://twitter.com/johnjohnstonmi/status/1121000852603527168
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Oh God. Popular myths of history are potent, but some periods are best left in history books... :(
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

JackJack said:

Yes. It was the belated realisation that simply causing trouble and waiting it out wasn't going to deliver their dream of crashing out that led to the split between the pragmatic lunatics and loony lunatics.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, no candidate for the Democratic or Republican party has failed to win their party's nominations after winning Iowa and New Hampshire .

In 2016 Hillary won Iowa but lost New Hampshire to Sanders which was why it was a long contest as it was in 2008 when Obama won Iowa and Hillary won New Hampshire. By contrast Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004 quickly wrapped up the Democratic nomination after winning both Iowa and New Hampshire
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2019
    in which party list for Euro elections she will show up?

An academic in Kuwait has claimed she has a ‘cure’ for homosexuality saying gay men have an ‘anal worm’ that ‘feeds on semen’.

Mariam Al-Sohel claimed on Scope TV that she believes there are four genders – male, female, feminine gay men and butch lesbians – and she explained how she has found a cure for being gay based on Islamic prophecy.

She said: “I discovered therapeutic suppositories that curb the sexual urges of boys of the third gender.

“As well as the fourth gender, which is butch lesbians. This is all science, so there’s nothing to be ashamed of.

https://attitude.co.uk/article/kuwaiti-academic-claims-gay-men-have-an-anal-worm-that-feeds-on-semen/20804/

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

JackJack said:

Yes. Not many certainties with Brexit, but assuming that parliament will do the minimum possible to block no deal at every stage has been a useful rule of thumb so far. I can't see anything really changing until the start of October now. The opposition / government talks are dragging, then it's summer, then it's party conference season, and before you know it we're 4 weeks before our latest deadline, asking for another extension to break the deadlock, relying on the EU not being willing to press the No Deal trigger, and we're extending well into 2020.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

Mayor Pete is in potential big trouble now. Bernie is advocating votes for terrorists (Jezza up your game son). Media have gone cold on no policies Beto.

Could Creepy Uncle Joe just get it as he is the most sensible sounding credible of all of them?

Could Clinton be made nominee by a contested convention? Is that possible under the complex rules?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Couple of good articles on 538:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-can-win-but-he-isnt-polling-like-a-favorite/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-analyzed-40-years-of-primary-polls-even-early-on-theyre-fairly-predictive/

National polling in the 20 percent range, given his advantage in name recognition, suggests Sanders is not exactly the presumptive favourite.
  • Options
    Has anyone here seen or mentioned the leaked TIG/CHUCK/NP or whatever they're called memo trying to subvert the Liberal Democrats?

Really grim reading.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Has anyone here seen or mentioned the leaked TIG/CHUCK/NP or whatever they're called memo trying to subvert the Liberal Democrats?

Really grim reading.

Link?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2019

This parliament will do whatever it takes to stop no-deal .....

It'll insist on extensions, sure. But how many more of those can we get? Eventually the EU will get fed up.

A lot of Parliament would love to tie the PM into a circumstance where (s)he has to revoke, at the end of the tracks, but they've not managed it yet. Would the house really explicitly order a PM to do it? They all seem to want blood on someone else's hands.

• Options

The top ChUK candidate in Scottish list has resigned because of some things he tweeted

What were the series of offensive tweets? Did it involve "The Topping On The Foodstuff Of Which We Do Not Speak"?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Well no smoking laws are very strict these days....vaping is ok though in most places.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

This parliament will do whatever it takes to stop no-deal .....

It'll insist on extensions, sure. But how many more of those can we get? Eventually the EU will get fed up.

A lot of Parliament would love to tie the PM into a circumstance where (s)he has to revoke, at the end of the tracks, but they've not managed it yet. Would the house really to order a PM to do it explicitly?

The current Commons would revoke over No Deal, Revoke got more votes in the indicative votes than No Deal did.

Tusk etc would extend indefinitely, it is Macron who might veto from the EU Council side
  • Options
    viewcode said:

What were the series of offensive tweets? Did it involve "The Topping On The Foodstuff Of Which We Do Not Speak"?
    or "Seasonal Films that are Not Seasonal Films"
  • Options
    So much for changing British politics.

I can't wait to see Mike Smithson's reaction to that ...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1121006003586203648?s=21
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanders-can-win-but-he-isnt-polling-like-a-favorite/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/we-analyzed-40-years-of-primary-polls-even-early-on-theyre-fairly-predictive/

National polling in the 20 percent range, given his advantage in name recognition, suggests Sanders is not exactly the presumptive favourite.

The presumptive favourite was Biden, Sanders has now overtaken him
  • Options

She is, and will likely continue to be, an outstanding Senator.

Though like all the top five or six, she is still in with a chance.
    (Not sure she has all that much cash, as she's spent a lot of what she's raised.)
  • Options

Could Clinton be made nominee by a contested convention? Is that possible under the complex rules?
    That would be a Trump wet dream
  • Options

viewcode said:

How did their background checks not pick up on something so overt?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

How did their background checks not pick up on something so overt?

Probably didn't know how to search for old tweets. Surprisingly common how that's the issue.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

viewcode said:

"A second candidate from new centrist party Change UK has been forced to resign within 24 hours, after it emerged he had made a series of sexist and derogatory comments about women.

Joseph Russo, who was announced as the party’s top candidate for Scotland just yesterday, had said: “Black women scare me. I put this down to be chased through Amsterdam by a crazy black wh***”.

In another tweet, he had also said: “I wonder if there’s a c*** / anchovy correlation. One smells like the other.”

In separate comments, whose full context are unclear, he referred to an American woman a “b****”, adding: “i’d burn her as a yule log”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/change-uk-joseph-russo-twitter-eu-elections-candidate-racism-a8884041.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, no candidate for the Democratic or Republican party has failed to win their party's nominations after winning Iowa and New Hampshire .

In 2016 Hillary won Iowa but lost New Hampshire to Sanders which was why it was a long contest as it was in 2008 when Obama won Iowa and Hillary won New Hampshire. By contrast Gore in 2000 and Kerry in 2004 quickly wrapped up the Democratic nomination after winning both Iowa and New Hampshire
    Gore and Kerry were both weighty, widely acceptable establishment candidates. Bernie is not, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930

In what subject is her PhD and where did she she get it?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

That would be a Trump wet dream
    i am sure his russian friends will try and help it along.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213

Scott_P said:
    ‪Do they know what happened to Oliver Cromwell ? ‬

Posthumous execution for Farage anyone ?
    Oliver Cromwell was a Republican!
  • Options
    edited April 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Gore and Kerry were both weighty, widely acceptable establishment candidates. Bernie is not, to put it mildly.
    That does not change the point or the fact.

Plus Ashcroft's new polling has 57% of Democratic voters wanting more liberal and progressive candidates in 2020 and only 28% more centrists and moderates

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/04/the-battle-lines-for-2020-what-my-polling-says-about-the-next-presidential-election/
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I'm fairly sure that I've never said anything racist, sexist, homophobic, or anti-Semitic on Twitter. I had no idea I was so well qualified to be an MEP.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

viewcode said:

"A second candidate from new centrist party Change UK has been forced to resign within 24 hours, after it emerged he had made a series of sexist and derogatory comments about women.

Joseph Russo, who was announced as the party’s top candidate for Scotland just yesterday, had said: “Black women scare me. I put this down to be chased through Amsterdam by a crazy black wh***”.

In another tweet, he had also said: “I wonder if there’s a c*** / anchovy correlation. One smells like the other.”

In separate comments, whose full context are unclear, he referred to an American woman a “b****”, adding: “i’d burn her as a yule log”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/change-uk-joseph-russo-twitter-eu-elections-candidate-racism-a8884041.html
    I love anchovies, they are my favourite pizza topping.
  • Options
    If the memo is genuine then TIG haven't got a clue what they are doing. And this sort of stuff above emphasises that.

Shambolic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Yay, he's going to get expelled from the Tory Party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nope.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/minorities-older-adults-boost-biden-atop-2020-democratic-field-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1S016T
  • Options
    glw said:

I'm fairly sure that I've never said anything racist, sexist, homophobic, or anti-Semitic on Twitter. I had no idea I was so well qualified to be an MEP.

I have a feeling in 10 years the limited pool of talent that want to become an elected official will be tiny after we disqualify all those who have made a dodgy tweet or two in their lifetime.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

If it is clear that the next Conservative leader will not command the confidence of Parliament, he (or she) will not be called to be Prime Minister.

A no deal supporting Conservative leader will obviously not command the confidence of Parliament.

So who do you think will be called to form a government when May formally resigns then?

A Con leader who is committed to leaving on Oct 31 with or without a deal - though the likely policy on election would be to renegotiate the WA, not to embrace No Deal outright - will almost certainly be appointed PM. The DUP will go along with that, as will Con MPs. For the time being, that'd be enough. Labour might well table a VoNC immediately but I'd expect the new PM to survive that while (doomed) attempts to renegotiate took place.

In any case, suppose the leadership election result is announced mid-Sept. The Commons won't sit again until after the Con conference, by which time it's far too late to form a different government before Oct 31 other than from the existing House, which means TIG (and virtually everyone else outside the Conservatives) having to support Corbyn.

No Deal in October remains quite a likely outcome.
    Theresa May stays in harness until a reasonably sure replacement is found. No obvious replacement, no resignation (cf Gordon Brown in 2010). It is an irony that, having long outstayed her usefulness in Number 10, her last duty might be to stay in office.
    Unlike Labour's processes, which certainly kept Brown in power in 2008-10 (and, subsequently, Corbyn in 2016), there are various mechanisms that can eject a Tory leader who has lost the confidence of his or her Party and/or MPs. Also unlike Labour's rules, they don't require an alternative leader to be identified in advance.
    As party leader, yes. But the Prime Ministership is not theirs to gift.
    Those, like you, who think that the new Con leader wouldn't be PM need to answer two questions:

1. Who would be appointed PM in that situation?
    2. How a parliamentary consensus would come about among many disparate and competing parties, to consolidate 320+ MPs around support for the person identified in (1), in sufficient time and with sufficient solidity to prompt the Queen to invite them, and not the new Con leader, to become PM?
  • Options

If the memo is genuine then TIG haven't got a clue what they are doing. And this sort of stuff above emphasises that.

Shambolic.
    Indeed.

I don't think there has been any denial of its authenticity.

Sigh. Shambolic indeed.
  • Options
    I presume OANN is some fringe alternative news network?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nope.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-poll/minorities-older-adults-boost-biden-atop-2020-democratic-field-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKCN1S016T
    Nope.

Sanders favourite in the odds in the thread header above, Biden still may lead a few national polls but Sanders snapping at his heels and Sanders also leads in New Hampshire
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Piss poor due diligence is the cause of this. I am not surprised.

Due diligence on employees is usually one of banks' - and I expect other employers as well - weakest spots. The stories I could tell!

People simply don't take this stuff seriously enough. And given the very tight timetable which CUK gave themselves I'm not surprised they are finding all sorts of stuff now which ought to have been picked up sooner.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Along with over half the membership and almost half the councillors?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,186
    edited April 2019
    Deleted
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    So be it.

Voting for another party is high treason if you're a Tory MP/councillor/activist.

Normally you're expert in telling people they aren't Tories, so I'd assume you'd be in favour of these expulsions.
  • Options

I do hope all these Tories announcing that they are voting for a party other than Tory get expelled PDQ. That way at least they don't get a vote in any forthcoming leadership election.
  • Options

FPT:

Or until 31 October when the French say: "Non".
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Due diligence on employees is usually one of banks' - and I expect other employers as well - weakest spots. The stories I could tell!

People simply don't take this stuff seriously enough. And given the very tight timetable which CUK gave themselves I'm not surprised they are finding all sorts of stuff now which ought to have been picked up sooner.
    I have to admit, the best due diligence is doing doing credit searches on your potential employees, tells you so much.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    They can't expel everyone. There would only be May left.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. That way those who remain in the party are Tories who actually vote Tory. Or is voting Tory now some sort of optional extra for Tory party members?
  • Options

Yes.

Biden's current lack of funding isn't that big a deal. The numbers raised by other candidates so far is low by historic standards (or indeed, by Trump's current standards on the other side - he raised close to double Sanders' total in 2019Q1); the gap of a few weeks' making can be closed.

I agree that the touchy-feely stuff is a potential problem but in the end, with a field of 20 or so, if he scores 20%+ in Iowa and New Hampshire, that puts him right at the front of the field. He can afford some opposition for past errors providing he remains a contender and that those who oppose him don't consolidate around a leading rival.

This isn't to say he will win but it is to say that he could and, IMO, his odds under-rate him. For all that it's early days, campaigns *are* running and for Biden to be at, or very close to, the lead without even officially being in the contest is about more than name-recognition now.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

umm, I think TSE posted this as a general interest story. The suggestion that she is standing in the euro elections is a frivolous one.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

HYUFD said:
    Haven't you voted LibDem in the past?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    edited April 2019
    Watching the service from Belfast for the murdered young journalist with representatives from across the political divide including Theresa May and Leo Varadkar why can the shared reconcillation in the Cathedral, and without, not be the benchmark for a new kindness and cooperation and a mutual respect across our Nation and throughout Europe
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    Cyclefree said:

To be fair, the rushed timescales of an unexpected election does make for a candidate unsuitability crisis for nearly every party.

Until we get a bit more tolerant of past social media anyway...
  • Options
    "And that one looks Jewish, and that one's a COON
    Who let all of this riffraff into the room?
    There's one smoking a joint, and that one's got SPOTS
    If I had my way I'D HAVE ALL OF YOU SHOT!"

Excerpts from Farage's forthcoming rally speech
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

I presume OANN is some fringe alternative news network?
    Yes. Their pinned tweet says: "Are you tired of the mainstream media only reporting fake news?" But they have a history of promoting conspiracy theories and fake news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_America_News_Network
  • Options

glw said:

I have a feeling in 10 years the limited pool of talent that want to become an elected official will be tiny after we disqualify all those who have made a dodgy tweet or two in their lifetime.

Yes. It will be down to me, my brother and my husband. In 10 years time PMQs could end up being like a version of Gardeners' Question Time! Still, you could all do worse. :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

FPT:

Or until 31 October when the French say: "Non".
    Why do you think the French would cause no deal? It is clearly bad for them and they already have struggles of their own? Do you actually think it is going to happen, or expressing concern that it might and no deal happens by accident?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    OANN, the network for when Fox News isn't giving you a strong enough conspiracy fix. It's good to know that the "leader of the free world" is keeping himself well informed about what's really going on.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Haven't you voted LibDem in the past?
    As part of a vote swap with a Lib Dem which helped the Tories gain a seat from Labour.

Both of us were in seats where our parties weren't going to win so we utilised our votes to help our parties for the best.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    FPT

Streeter said:

Mr. Fire, those in favour of man-made global warming as a theory also predicted an end to snow in the UK, a few years before we had the worst winter in a century. And then another very bad winter the year after. It doesn't persuade me of their predictive prowess.

I’ll-informed bloke off internet muddles up weather and climate. Again.
    What's the difference, well-informed bloke off t'internet?
    What’s the weather this afternoon? - a sensible question.

What’s the climate this afternoon? - not a sensible question.
  • Options

JackJack said:

Except that a PM who was willing to countenance No Deal (which May isn't) could simply have refused the EU's counter-offer of an Oct 31 extension, which would have been consistent with the Cooper-Letwin Act. The EU *might* then have agreed the original request of June 30, but then that would have led up the cul de sac of not holding European elections in the UK. Either way, parliament would not have prevented No Deal, and indeed it could easily have happened on April 12, despite 'parliament taking control'.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

I’m laying the oldies in this market.

Wayne Rooney betting strategy?
This discussion has been closed.