Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So all that talk of TMay’s imminent ousting was just piss and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited April 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So all that talk of TMay’s imminent ousting was just piss and wind

Sir Graham Brady says the 1922 Committee will ask Theresa May for “clarity” on when she will step down if she cannot get a Brexit deal through parliament. Declines to say whether this means a specific date.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Wind and piss indeed.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Strange thread header.

The ERG aren’t the 1922 committee.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,395
    edited April 2019
    Indeed, the ERG and Crispin Blunt were going to oust John Bercow today as well.

This lot couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

#ManOfThePeople
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Don't get how it's being reported that the confidence ballot of the Tory membership of the Tory membership is off?

That would be something the membership themselves arrange rather than the 1922 committee?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,921
    Brexit is no longer about the pros and cons of Leaving the EU, it is more like an initiation test that MPs must pass before the public will trust them.

Like most initiation tests, the actual act may seem pointless or even slightly harmful to the person having to do it, but if they don't, they will never get the respect of the group.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Didn't Tim Montgomery leave the Tories amid much hullabaloo back in Dave's day? Or was I hallucinating or did he rejoin?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Didn't Tim Montgomery leave the Tories amid much hullabaloo back in Dave's day? Or was I hallucinating or did he rejoin?

Rejoined but should be expelled shortly, the traitorous rat.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If we stopped reading those stories they would stop writing them, but I'm sure that you, like me, can't resist reading the stories to see whether this time is the time when it might actually happen.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

Brexit is no longer about the pros and cons of Leaving the EU, it is more like an initiation test that MPs must pass before the public* will trust them.

Like most initiation tests, the actual act may seem pointless or even slightly harmful to the person having to do it, but if they don't, they will never get the respect of the group.

*some of
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Don't get how it's being reported that the confidence ballot of the Tory membership of the Tory membership is off?

That would be something the membership themselves arrange rather than the 1922 committee?

For it to happen it requires 66% of sitting Tory MPs to back the change/vote happening, that ain't happening.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304

Rejoined.
    Presumably that was when the cult of Theresa was peaking.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    I laid her to go this year at 1.08 a couple of weeks ago. Smug city.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    isam said:

Brexit is no longer about the pros and cons of Leaving the EU, it is more like an initiation test that MPs must pass before the public will trust them.

If we Brexit and events do not develop to the Nation's advantage do you think that the public will respect MPs for making it happen, or will they blame MPs for not avoiding the calamity?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    edited April 2019
    kinabalu said:

I laid her to go this year at 1.08 a couple of weeks ago. Smug city.

I'm sure she would have left had you asked nicely. :p
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

#ManOfThePeople

OMG that’s so funny ! If only the ERG had been in charge of the EU negotiations just imagine what a success they could have been !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The thing about Tory MPs is for all their pomposity and ego, with a few notable exceptions they’re a bit rubbish.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The thing about Tory MPs is for all their pomposity and ego, with a few notable exceptions they’re a bit rubbish.

The Conservative members and voters agree with you.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    ERG = Eccentric Rubbish and Gibberish
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600
    Bedtime reading for Alistair Meeks.

https://unherd.com/2019/04/have-the-remainers-lost-perspective/

Some extracts:

"According to one recent poll by YouGov, for example, while 11% of Leavers would mind a little or a lot if a relative married across the Brexit divide, this jumped to 37% among Remainers."

"Back in Britain, many on the Left and those in the Remain camp do not engage with this evidence because it undermines the concerted effort to portray the vote for Brexit as a proxy for Right-wing extremism on the march, or an indicator for their belief that the country is sliding into the same conditions that gave rise to Adolf Hitler. I suspect that their stronger desire to disassociate from the other camp helps to explain why many so Remainers have been so quick to ‘catastrophise’ about voters with whom they probably have very little interaction with. Catastrophising, as Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt note in their recent book The Coddling of the American Mind, is what we do when we believe that something is far worse than it is, usually after an event or moment has challenged our values and beliefs."

"The irony is that liberal catastrophisers engage in exactly the same behaviour that they associate with populists and Right-wing extremists; they overgeneralise; they label others; they engage in Manichean ‘good-versus-bad’ dichotomous thinking; they lose perspective; and they become obsessed with apocalyptic-style scenarios. Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, they cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning."
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Superb thread from the only commentator who nailed these ERG song and dance men long ago. They are piss and wind.

I agree with every word of this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

isam said:

Brexit is no longer about the pros and cons of Leaving the EU, it is more like an initiation test that MPs must pass before the public* will trust them.

*some of
    No, almost all of I'd suggest...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

#ManOfThePeople

Can I lay that ?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

For it to happen it requires 66% of sitting Tory MPs to back the change/vote happening, that ain't happening.
    So Tory MPs get to dictate whether Tory Party members/local associations can have a vote of no confidence in Theresa May?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    It is the ERG and Brexit supporting papers that keep this story alive.

I think they calculate that this is one way of keeping the pressure up on the PM to capitulate to their crazy No Deal Brexit.

The Brexit supporting media alternate between directly threatening the PM and then promoting the Brexit party that is just a hollow threat. How can anyone take the Brexit party seriously with two odd balls like Farage and Widdicombe, they even sound like a music hall comedy duo! The little and large of British politics. I think that the Brexit party to adjust Widdicombe's phrase about Brexit supporting Michael Howard has something of the shite about it!
  • Options

I thought it was Chris Hope trying to promote his podcast personally.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,060

#ManOfThePeople

Dunno, if they sent 'fruitful loins' Rees Mogg in with a crate of VK...
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Does Bill Cash still think we left the EU on March 29th?

I'm beginning to love the ERG. If you take a step back from all the thunder and toys it's actually really very funny. Yes yes I know it's the entire future of this country. But, still, it's funny to see how gobsmackingly useless they are.

Presumably CHUCK-UP have been taking lessons?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

So Tory MPs get to dictate whether Tory Party members/local associations can have a vote of no confidence in Theresa May?
    Well I'm glad you and some Tory Leavers are in favour of creating a precedent that if you don’t like the original result, change the rules and have a re-run of the original vote.
  • Options

#ManOfThePeople

The Rees-Mogg family has broken me today

I've been giggling like an idiot since I saw this tweet.

https://twitter.com/GladysSteptoe/status/1120933334769651713

Unity Rees-Mogg is possibly the greatest thing in the history of twitter.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Opinion polls strongly suggest that you’re wrong about that. A very large number of people would be appalled if it is done.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

#ManOfThePeople

True, but it wouldn't stop Francois et al boasting about their high fertility rate, although I'm not sure that the look of an embarrassed potato is something we really want in the gene pool.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well I'm glad you and some Tory Leavers are in favour of creating a precedent that if you don’t like the original result, change the rules and have a re-run of the original vote.
    What "original result" ?

Tory members/associations have never had a vote of no confidence in Theresa May?

So far there's only been a VONC in May within the Parliamentary Conservative Party not within the wider membership/associations?
  • Options
    blueburnblueburn Posts: 14
    ''The hardline brexiteers have got to accept that the referendum was won by the narrowest of margins''....What, like ALL Remainers have got to accept that they LOST the referendum? Last week you were saying that the Brexit Party would split votes with UKIP and TIG could be the EU election winners...How's that prediction going for you?
    The country is for a clean, clear Brexit...the country is against May's BRINO. Leave voters (the referendum winners) are with the ERG. The failure to defenstrate May is not the ERG's, but the Tory parliamentary party's. And, boy, will they pay for it!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    nico67 said:

#ManOfThePeople

OMG that’s so funny ! If only the ERG had been in charge of the EU negotiations just imagine what a success they could have been !
    [Adopts Terry Thomas accent]: Now listen here, we're English, don't you know. So, none of your foreign nonsense - I won't stand for it, I tell you.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What "original result" ?

Tory members/associations have never had a vote of no confidence in Theresa May?

So far there's only been a VONC in May within the Parliamentary Conservative Party not within the wider membership/associations?
    The rules are only Tory MPs can oust Mrs May via a VONC, some associations are wanting to change that.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Mainstream Tory backbenchers probably reason that the media hoo-ha created by changing the rules in order to turf TM out just before the local elections would probably only make a bad May 2nd worse. I don't feel she is safe at all just that the timing is not quite right yet.
  • Options

I think they calculate that this is one way of keeping the pressure up on the PM to capitulate to their crazy No Deal Brexit.

The Brexit supporting media alternate between directly threatening the PM and then promoting the Brexit party that is just a hollow threat. How can anyone take the Brexit party seriously with two odd balls like Farage and Widdicombe, they even sound like a music hall comedy duo! The little and large of British politics. I think that the Brexit party to adjust Widdicombe's phrase about Brexit supporting Michael Howard has something of the shite about it!

How can anyone take the party leading the EU election polls seriously ?

Well..
  • Options
    blueburn said:

''The hardline brexiteers have got to accept that the referendum was won by the narrowest of margins''....What, like ALL Remainers have got to accept that they LOST the referendum? Last week you were saying that the Brexit Party would split votes with UKIP and TIG could be the EU election winners...How's that prediction going for you?
    The country is for a clean, clear Brexit...the country is against May's BRINO. Leave voters (the referendum winners) are with the ERG. The failure to defenstrate May is not the ERG's, but the Tory parliamentary party's. And, boy, will they pay for it!

The country in opinion poll after opinion poll has shown a majority currently think Brexit is a mistake.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What "original result" ?

There are two opportunities to vote on Mrs May coming up. Many will grasp those.

The penny will drop for MPs eventually - might even be at the count at a general election.
  • Options
    Rule #1 of political journalism. Things tend not to happen.
  • Options

blueburn said:

The country in opinion poll after opinion poll has shown a majority currently think Brexit is a mistake.
    Every referendum for a generation has shown that the voters want to leave.
  • Options
    I was refreshing the old thread like a right duffer.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Opinion polls* strongly suggest that you’re wrong about that. A very large number of people would be appalled if it is done.
    *on hypotheticals such as this have been totally inaccurate for the last 4 UK elections, but they
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What "original result" ?

The rules are only Tory MPs can oust Mrs May via a VONC, some associations are wanting to change that.
    I thought the situation was that the members/associations could have a VONC but that it would be non-binding (though obviously if she lost by 70-80% the message to her and Con MPs would be loud and clear) ?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    TGOHF said:

How can anyone take the party leading the EU election polls seriously ?

Well..
    I suppose we have to take one opinion poll published last week by a Brexit supporting newspaper and have no deviation from it for eternity? lol Sounds familiar!
  • Options

Some extracts:

"According to one recent poll by YouGov, for example, while 11% of Leavers would mind a little or a lot if a relative married across the Brexit divide, this jumped to 37% among Remainers."

"Back in Britain, many on the Left and those in the Remain camp do not engage with this evidence because it undermines the concerted effort to portray the vote for Brexit as a proxy for Right-wing extremism on the march, or an indicator for their belief that the country is sliding into the same conditions that gave rise to Adolf Hitler. I suspect that their stronger desire to disassociate from the other camp helps to explain why many so Remainers have been so quick to ‘catastrophise’ about voters with whom they probably have very little interaction with. Catastrophising, as Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt note in their recent book The Coddling of the American Mind, is what we do when we believe that something is far worse than it is, usually after an event or moment has challenged our values and beliefs."

"The irony is that liberal catastrophisers engage in exactly the same behaviour that they associate with populists and Right-wing extremists; they overgeneralise; they label others; they engage in Manichean ‘good-versus-bad’ dichotomous thinking; they lose perspective; and they become obsessed with apocalyptic-style scenarios. Rather than assessing things rationally, and engaging with those who hold different points of view, they cling to comfort blankets, such as catastrophising, distancing and emotional reasoning."

It's the absence of rational explanation for why we should leave the EU that is the problem. The only articulation of the Brexit case we hear nowadays is some variant of 'we had a vote three years ago, and have to honour the result no matter how catastrophic the consequences for the country'.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Opinion polls* strongly suggest that you’re wrong about that. A very large number of people would be appalled if it is done.
    *on hypotheticals such as this have been totally inaccurate for the last 4 UK elections, but they
    Are you suggesting that there aren’t many millions of people who would be appalled if Brexit is done? Because there is plenty of non-polling evidence to that effect too. And the polls haven’t been inaccurate to that extent.
  • Options

#ManOfThePeople

'Enduring image' as they used to say on The Fast Show.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:
    If some Tory MPs get intimidated by Julian Smith then they need to GTFO politics.

Brexit is not safe in their hands.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Opinion polls strongly suggest that you’re wrong about that. A very large number of people would be appalled if it is done.
    That's what I meant :)

~ Half the pop[ulation will be appalled if Brexit is carried out, ~ Half the pop[ulation will be appalled if Brexit is not carried out
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited April 2019

blueburn said:

Opinion polls are just opinion polls, votes matter.

Well, they do until politicians decide there's been too much democracy going on.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

If the Tories expelled every member who was voting for the Brexit party on 23 May how many members would they have left?! Most of course won't go public like Montgomerie.

Do we have a full set of candidate lists by region now - I believe the Greens, Labour, UKIP, LD, Chuk and the Tories have published but Nigel seems to be holding back. Perhaps he has more surprises lined up?

Nice to be back on a thread which isn't rounding on Essex - many of our best posters on here live in that great county!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:
    Nine to seven with the chief whip in the room throwing daggers at the members?

Ringing endorsement in Theresa May. Not. :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Off-topic:

Recently the Russians tried really hard to sink their only aircraft carrier. It appears they also shoot down their own planes as well:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/mig-downs-mig-in-russian-friendly-fire-foul-up-leaked-report-shows/
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

If the Tories expelled every member who was voting for the Brexit party on 23 May how many members would they have left?! Most of course won't go public like Montgomerie.
    Minus numbers? :D
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    If some Tory MPs get intimidated by Julian Smith then they need to GTFO politics.
    Looks like they won’t have a choice soon...

Conplosion imminent via the voters going on strike.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Rule #1 of political journalism. Things tend not to happen.

If journalists didn’t talk about what might happen, just what had happened, their output would be markedly less. More intellectual consistency, less furtive, feeling important, lunches.
  • Options
    Farage built UKIP around ending freedom of movement then when Mays deal ends that he cries betrayal .

Now the only Brexit that isn’t classed as a betrayal is a no deal crash out . The hypocrisy from Farage and the rest is vomit inducing .

No deal would never have won the EU referendum , if he and the rest of the no deal fantasists want that then they should put it to the people in another vote .
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

I bet a good fraction of MPs will vote for them in the privacy of the voting booth.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

Well exactly it bears out what I said below. She is hanging on by her fingertips - the ERG is irrelevant in this. The mainstream of the party now thinks she has to go. The only question is when.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Are you suggesting that there aren’t many millions of people who would be appalled if Brexit is done? Because there is plenty of non-polling evidence to that effect too. And the polls haven’t been inaccurate to that extent.
    I think they'd be some who were a bit upset that they lost, but they'd get over it. How can they be appalled when there was a vote and they lost by a million or so?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Some extracts:

It's the absence of rational explanation for why we should leave the EU that is the problem. The only articulation of the Brexit case we hear nowadays is some variant of 'we had a vote three years ago, and have to honour the result no matter how catastrophic the consequences for the country'.
    There has not been a rational articulation of the case for Remain.

There was an opportunity to do that in the Referendum, and the Remainers failed.

The Remainers in the Referendum basically presented the argument, “I’m doing all right, London’s doing all right, the South East is doing all right, the economy’s doing all right, don’t rock the boat”.
  • Options
    Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

Well exactly it bears out what I said below. She is hanging on by her fingertips - the ERG is irrelevant in this. The mainstream of the party now thinks she has to go. The only question is when.
    After she’s revoked Article 50 and given the ERG the middle finger ! Seriously though she’ll be gone before the summer break allowing the leadership challenge to take place then in the recess .

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    I think they'd be some who were a bit upset that they lost, but they'd get over it. How can they be appalled when there was a vote and they lost by a million or so?
    Several million daft old bats have convinced themselves, in defiance of all common sense and logic, that only no deal Brexit is true Brexit. People aren’t always rational.
  • Options

Some extracts:

There was an opportunity to do that in the Referendum, and the Remainers failed.

The Remainers in the Referendum basically presented the argument, “I’m doing all right, London’s doing all right, the South East is doing all right, the economy’s doing all right, don’t rock the boat”.
    Err. How about, we'll be able to continue trading with other democratic countries who share our values?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Some extracts:

The referendum disenfranchised the positive case for the EU by offering a cut down version of membership alongside a promise to stay out of the rest of it.

There was no opportunity to make a true pro-EU case in 2016.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    1922 Committee?

Is that when they entered Parliament? :lol:
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Millions are going to be upset and angry now whatever happens now.
  • Options

Some extracts:

Err. How about, we'll be able to continue trading with other democratic countries who share our values?
    Err ... Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU. They manage to trade with other democratic countries that share our values.
  • Options
    Norm said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

I guess they've got to let her soak up the disaster that's coming in the local and EU elections?
  • Options

Some extracts:

Err ... Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU. They manage to trade with other democratic countries that share our values.
    They have arrangements with the EU that have been declared "not Brexit".
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

They have arrangements with the EU that have been declared "not Brexit".
    Norway does, anyway. I'd be pretty happy with Switzerland+-, but it isn't on offer.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,333
    TGOHF said:
    When is the 1922 Committee next up for election? At the start of each Parliament or the start of each Parliamentary year?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    I'm a democrat. I believe in elections. But I've voted Lib or LD most of my adult life, and every time I was on the losing side. Every time. And I picked myself, dusted myself off and got on with my life.
    But this time was different; this time is quite clear the winning side lied and cheated. I'm used to lies, or something less than the plain unvarnished truth, but this was on a bigger, almost industrial, scale.
    That's why I won't, can't, get over it.
  • Options

Some extracts:

Great. Let's go for Common Market 2.0. Would suit me fine, as would TMay's deal, as would remain. No deal, however, is complete lunacy.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    Several million daft old bats have convinced themselves, in defiance of all common sense and logic, that only no deal Brexit is true Brexit. People aren’t always rational.
    It isn't several million, it's a few dozen in the HofC.

I dont buy the argument that Remain inclined MPs who claimed they wanted to uphold the referendum result in 2017 manifesto's, have reason not to because some Hard Brexiteers thought the deal was too soft.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

According to one recent poll by YouGov, for example, while 11% of Leavers would mind a little or a lot if a relative married across the Brexit divide, this jumped to 37% among Remainers.

How much of this is an age thing? I suspect young people generally tend to have very firmly held opinions and can't understand why anyone would have a different view.

So, if you asked young people about "Could you marry someone who didn't believe in gay rights?" then you'd get much more extreme answers than from 50 year olds.

In other words, if you compare 44 year old Remainers with 44 year old Leavers, do you get such a big disparity?
  • Options

They have arrangements with the EU that have been declared “not Brexit”.

Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU. They are contented, prosperprous countries.

Many leavers (such as myself) would have been prepared to stay in a reformed EU.

No evidence has been presented that the EU is capable of Reform. The Remainers by and large do not even see that reform of the EU is urgently needed.

However, I would be happy with Remain, provided we then get Corbyn as PM.

Let Remainers pay for their hobbyhorse. Let’s see massive transfers of wealth from the prosperous parts of London and the South East to the forgotten people in Stoke or Sunderland or South Wales.

What I am not happy about is cancelling Brexit, and continuing on the same merry unequal path, in which the benefits of the EU are shared by the highly affluent in a few parts of the country.

Remain, but let the Remainers pay for it.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rcs1000 said:

According to one recent poll by YouGov, for example, while 11% of Leavers would mind a little or a lot if a relative married across the Brexit divide, this jumped to 37% among Remainers.

How much of this is an age thing? I suspect young people generally tend to have very firmly held opinions and can't understand why anyone would have a different view.

So, if you asked young people about "Could you marry someone who didn't believe in gay rights?" then you'd get much more extreme answers than from 50 year olds.

In other words, if you compare 44 year old Remainers with 44 year old Leavers, do you get such a big disparity?
    My Eldest Granddaughter (late 20's) has recently acquired a new boyfriend. I asked if he was a Remainer, and she said he was, and they'd had that conversation very early on.
  • Options

Great. Let's go for Common Market 2.0. Would suit me fine, as would TMay's deal, as would remain. No deal, however, is complete lunacy.

That is also fine by me.

I’d prefer to stay in reformed EU.

But, there seems no chance of reform.
  • Options

Switzerland and Norway are not in the EU. They are contented, prosperprous countries.

Many leavers (such as myself) would have been prepared to stay in a reformed EU.

No evidence has been presented that the EU is capable of Reform. The Remainers by and large do not even see that reform of the EU is urgently needed.

Let Remainers pay for their hobbyhorse. Let’s see massive transfers of wealth from the prosperous parts of London and the South East to the forgotten people in Stoke or Sunderland or South Wales.

What I am not happy about is cancelling Brexit, and continuing on the same merry unequal path, in which the benefits of the EU are shared by the highly affluent in a few parts of the country.

How many grants have been made by the EU to Welsh hill farmers?

Just asking, like!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,912

Just asking, like!
    A fraction of a fraction compared to spending on South East and London
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

*some of
    I'm a democrat. I believe in elections. But I've voted Lib or LD most of my adult life, and every time I was on the losing side. Every time. And I picked myself, dusted myself off and got on with my life.
    But this time was different; this time is quite clear the winning side lied and cheated. I'm used to lies, or something less than the plain unvarnished truth, but this was on a bigger, almost industrial, scale.
    That's why I won't, can't, get over it.
    Ever got 12.6% of the vote and 0.15% of the representation?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Just asking, like!
    Giving back to the UK it’s own money. How nice of them.
  • Options

There already are massive transfers of wealth from London to the dependencies. All that earns London is hatred and contempt from the recipients.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Just asking, like!
    Well, of course, we have much to be grateful for in Wales.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4n6zQhW4AASX5R.jpg:large

It is working so well for Wales, isn’t it OKC ?
  • Options

There already are massive transfers of wealth from London to the dependencies. All that earns London is hatred and contempt from the recipients.
    Londoners are the Afrikaaners of the UK. They stole the wealth from the rest of us.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

+1
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

rcs1000 said:

My Eldest Granddaughter (late 20's) has recently acquired a new boyfriend. I asked if he was a Remainer, and she said he was, and they'd had that conversation very early on.
    what a sad family
  • Options
    edited April 2019

True I just don’t get all this hate for London from other parts of the country . It’s a great city and pays more than its fair share into the treasury . The same vitriol was directed towards it before the Olympics where some were wishing failure on it . As it turned out London 2012 showed the best of the UK . How tragic that the UKs reputation for tolerance and its welcoming image on the world stage has been sacrificed on the altar of Brexit .
  • Options

Londoners are the Afrikaaners of the UK. They stole the wealth from the rest of us.
    How do you think this process of stealing wealth from the rest of the UK operates?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

How do you think this process of stealing wealth from the rest of the UK operates?
    That’s a trade secret!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

what a sad family
    No what’s sad is removing the rights of the younger generation especially to live and work in the EU and to enforce a future on them they don’t want .
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

#ManOfThePeople

The Rees-Mogg family has broken me today

I've been giggling like an idiot since I saw this tweet.

https://twitter.com/GladysSteptoe/status/1120933334769651713

Unity Rees-Mogg is possibly the greatest thing in the history of twitter.
    According to Wikipedia, Unity Mitford was conceived in Swastika, Ontario, which sounds like wiki-trolling to me. Amazing if true though.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    nico67 said:

rcs1000 said:

what a sad family
    No what’s sad is removing the rights of the younger generation especially to live and work in the EU and to enforce a future on them they don’t want .
    Does leaving the EU remove people's right to live and work there?
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited April 2019

rcs1000 said:

what a sad family
    There have been some interesting polls on this i.e. are remain voters really more open minded and tolerant. Perhaps not!

A you gov poll from January suggested for example that

Only 9% of Leavers would mind if a relative married someone who was a strong supporter of remaining in the EU

But 37% of Remainers would mind if a relative married a leaver

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-buddies-remainers-less-tolerant-leavers-says-yougov-poll-135647765.html

Its a bit limiting to rule out half the country as a potential life partner because of how they voted in a referendum on membership of an international body.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

rcs1000 said:

what a sad family
    There have been some interesting polls on this i.e. are remain voters really more open minded and tolerant. Perhaps not!

A you gov poll from January suggested for example that

Only 9% of Leavers would mind if a relative married someone who was a strong supporter of remaining in the EU

But 37% of Remainers would mind if a relative married a leaver

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-buddies-remainers-less-tolerant-leavers-says-yougov-poll-135647765.html

Its a bit limiting to rule out half the country as a potential life partner because of how they voted in a referendum on membership of an international body.
    Not many young people want to date someone their grandfather’s age.
This discussion has been closed.