Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on what we are not allowed to talk about and news of 2

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on what we are not allowed to talk about and news of 2 PB gatherings

Thanks once again to Fat Steve for making the arrangements. The next PB gathering will be at the Dirty Dicks pub just across the road from Liverpool Street Station in London from 1830 on Wednesday November 20th. These have become very much a tradition and a good time is generally had by all.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited November 2013
    As slippery as fish covered in cod liver oil is Mr Grant Shapps or should that be John Green, or should that be Peter Armistice or should that be Tony Michael or should that be Frank Raynor or should that be John Lone?
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited November 2013
    tim said:

Are we allowed to repeat RCS1000's column inches joke?

No.

Just appreciate the irony of the cartoon, without comment.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I would be aghast if he lost his main job of Tory election supremo and he is an open wound. I just would like him to decide which name he would like us to call him. Oh and the fact the police thought he was involved in a fraud but didn't press charges only prolongs this issue.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • Options
    *appreciates irony of cartoon without comment*

Are we allowed to say 'good cartoon, Marf'?
  • Options
    Carola said:

*appreciates irony of cartoon without comment*

Are we allowed to say 'good cartoon, Marf'?

Yes
  • Options
    Good cartoon Marf!
  • Options
    I hope if QTS is ditched we don't get loads of private school teachers moving over to state schools. That would be a disaster. Think of the children!
  • Options

Don't get me wrong, I would be aghast if he lost his main job of Tory election supremo and he is an open wound. I just would like him to decide which name he would like us to call him. Oh and the fact the police thought he was involved in a fraud but didn't press charges only prolongs this issue.

I'm still laughing at your 'union thugs doing thuggish deeds' comments.
  • Options
    tim said:

Dave sure can pick them

snip~

I've not been able to discern any political ability in Shapps, his Eastleigh campaign was a classic of his genre,his time at housing saw record lows in building and record highs in press releases, on TV he's a lightweight*, any PB Tory tell me what Cameron saw in him.

He looks and talks a bit like Blair. Perhaps Blair's Heir saw himself reflected back, as he would like to be.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Labour writing to Cameron about Shapps.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24779368
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    good cartoon Marf!

LOL
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Ooh Crikey seems I've got twice as much on Sadiq Khan as I thought - assumed the Bet365 hadn't gone through at 12s.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

I just would like him to decide which name he would like us to call him.

A bit rich, Ash, given your constant and hilariously inept attempts to rebrand yourself.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT:

It often surprises me that convenience (such as easy parking) is rated so mutch higher than clinicalcare, but it is a consistent finding...

Apols if already mentioned, but an interesting poll on attitudes to the NHS:

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/cta-pub-opp.pdf

Summary on quick skim: it's wonderful (better than any other British institution including the monarchy and the armed forces), we're familiar with Stafford but it was unusual, let's increase taxes to make it even better, probably don't bother to give us more choices, I want a hospital that's convenient, never mind the quality, but clinical commissioning does sound good.

Uphill struggle for those here who want to replace or radically change it. I wouldn't go for convenience over quality myself - interesting as governments of both flavours have wanted to merge hospitals for better and/or cheaper care.

• Options
    Nice cartoon, Marf! Hope to see everyone at Dirty Dick's on the 20th!
  • Options
    Not possible to make Dirty Dicks, as busy clinical session that day.

July 8th is a tuesday, If it were a Sunday, I could get there. Bar Tat, of course!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited November 2013
    Bloody hell,a good front page for the government from the independent.

Nick Sutton
    @suttonnick
    Independent - "The water bill torture: Government action on rip-off price rises" #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/ylRkeQjQ4Z
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Looks like HowtoCorp has called it a day - It filed for dissolution a couple of weeks back.

http://companycheck.co.uk/company/05399983/HOW-TO-CORP-LIMITED
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

As slippery as fish covered in cod liver oil is Mr Grant Shapps or should that be John Green, or should that be Peter Armistice or should that be Tony Michael or should that be Frank Raynor or should that be John Lone?

Bloody hell,a good front page for the government from the independent.

Nick Sutton
    @suttonnick
    Independent - "The water bill torture: Government action on rip-off price rises" #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/ylRkeQjQ4Z

Possible Marxism alert Tyke ;-)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Hopefully should be able to come to the Ilkley get together. Is Sean buying there too?
  • Options
    Excellent move by the government if they are deciding to have a crack at the piss-taking water companies - Ed Miliband gave an interview to the Evening Standard today suggesting that move but looks as if No. 10 might head him off for once. Quick thinking if so.

We are all Marxists now, comrade.
  • Options
    Looks like the Telegraph is going after a Tory MP on tax avoidance.
  • Options
    The debt/deficit is now dead as an election issue it would seem. Entirely forgotten by the public and the politicians.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Excellent move by the government if they are deciding to have a crack at the piss-taking water companies - Ed Miliband gave an interview to the Evening Standard today suggesting that move but looks as if No. 10 might head him off for once. Quick thinking if so.

Small fry.The big fish is the rail prices.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT

@Life_ina_marketing_town

Given that there is not, and has never been such as thing as 'Britain's National Health Service', the poll is based on a false premise.

I remember Stefano Pessina telling me once that the second most trusted healthcare professional in the UK is the "Boots nurse".

Unfortunately they don't exist...
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    After reading McBride's book (which I really enjoyed) I thought I'd go back and read bits of Seldon's book on Brown at 10. I never finished Seldon's book last time I read it, and I was fascinated to find that Brown tendered his resignation to the Queen before Clegg had finalised a deal with the Tories.

I am sure I never knew that up until now. I was always under the assumption that Brown waitied and waited (under civil service instruction, and as a point of constitutional etiquette) until Cameron indicated he would form a government.

The fact that Brown went before a deal is interesting because if the haggling had gone on longer, perhaps Clegg would've extracted more from Cameron, and by now the Tory backbenchers would be proper frothing.

• Options
    The Metropolitan Police's letter on Shapps-Green-Fox is deplorable. On the one hand, it insinuates wrongdoing by Shapps, but on the other, states there isn't a case to answer. If the latter is true, then the former shouldn't have been said publicly.
  • Options
    And Yuppy Love has just started on Channel 133.

In my opinion the best comedy episode ever written.

It's famed for Del Boy falling through the bar but the episode is just fabulous. John Sullivan, a man with no education, should've been knighted prior to his death. An extraordinary talent.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

"The Metropolitan Police said it had received legal advice suggesting the selling of software by Mr Shapps's family firm "may constitute an offence of fraud, among others".

But after assessing the claims the Met said it had decided not to proceed."

That's pretty much the perfect outcome for Labour, Cameron has to leave him in place despite him being useless and every interviewer gets to ask him about the fraud
    Warsi was worse.But it`ll be funny the next time he writes to the BBC about being `transparent`.
    It is utterly disgraceful - and this is not a partisan point, I can't stand Shapps - that the police feel able to publish this kind of smear. They should either prosecute, or STFU.

First they shot the Brazilian electrician ...

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

"The Metropolitan Police said it had received legal advice suggesting the selling of software by Mr Shapps's family firm "may constitute an offence of fraud, among others".

That's pretty much the perfect outcome for Labour, Cameron has to leave him in place despite him being useless and every interviewer gets to ask him about the fraud
    Warsi was worse.But it`ll be funny the next time he writes to the BBC about being `transparent`.
    It is utterly disgraceful - and this is not a partisan point, I can't stand Shapps - that the police feel able to publish this kind of smear. They should either prosecute, or STFU.

The head of the Met is ofcourse a Labour appointee! Oops!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    tim said:

Bobajob said:

At this juncture the PB Tories pop up to say "They'll just drive the water companies abroad, they'll stop investing and refuse to supply water".

Or not.

What ? They will take our water ?
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Ishmael_X said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

The head of the Met is ofcourse a Labour appointee! Oops!
    Can we add "not partisan" to the depressingly long list of concepts which are too difficult for you?

• Options
    tim said:

Fenster said:

tim said:

Dave sure can pick them

@EmilyThornberry: Shapps >re letter from Met Police "absolutely nothing here of any interest" it says his alleg actions "may constitute an offence of fraud"

I've not been able to discern any political ability in Shapps, his Eastleigh campaign was a classic of his genre,his time at housing saw record lows in building and record highs in press releases, on TV he's a lightweight*, any PB Tory tell me what Cameron saw in him.

*I therefore covered my bets on T.May with small bets on him and Jeremy Hunt,similar figures, just in case the Tories went for a Cameron repeat

I'd sack Shapps and enjoy it. He's way too Tim Nice But Dim for me. He has few redeeming features.

I'm pretty sure he was the politician who slept out with the homeless one Christmas night when he was a Shadow Minister. A nice gesture in itself. But I'm wondering if that's where he got his alternative identities from.
    Fenster said:

tim said:

Dave sure can pick them

@EmilyThornberry: Shapps >re letter from Met Police "absolutely nothing here of any interest" it says his alleg actions "may constitute an offence of fraud"

*I therefore covered my bets on T.May with small bets on him and Jeremy Hunt,similar figures, just in case the Tories went for a Cameron repeat

I'd sack Shapps and enjoy it. He's way too Tim Nice But Dim for me. He has few redeeming features.

I'm pretty sure he was the politician who slept out with the homeless one Christmas night when he was a Shadow Minister. A nice gesture in itself. But I'm wondering if that's where he got his alternative identities from.
    Not unless he was sharing the pavement with Gus O'Donnell

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2012/07/gus-odonnell-letter-john-prescott-dclg-criticism-censored/

A Lib Dem activist

http://www.libdemvoice.org/grant-shapps-991.html

Sebastian Fox and M.Green
    Geez, he's like the Johann Hari of politics.
  • Options
    Charles said:

FPT

@Life_ina_marketing_town

Given that there is not, and has never been such as thing as 'Britain's National Health Service', the poll is based on a false premise.

I remember Stefano Pessina telling me once that the second most trusted healthcare professional in the UK is the "Boots nurse".

Unfortunately they don't exist...

Something not existing is no bar to people having a deep belief in it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

The Metropolitan Police's letter on Shapps-Green-Fox is deplorable. On the one hand, it insinuates wrongdoing by Shapps, but on the other, states there isn't a case to answer. If the latter is true, then the former shouldn't have been said publicly.

Before the plebgate incident I'd have given the police (And did at the time) the benefit of the doubt. Not now - this has a stink about it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Presenting daytime TV has often been a good career move to get into politics, Esther McVey, Gyles Brandreth, Gloria Del Piero, Shapps looks like he should have presented daytime TV, but surprisingly has not!
  • Options
    Fenster said:

After reading McBride's book (which I really enjoyed) I thought I'd go back and read bits of Seldon's book on Brown at 10. I never finished Seldon's book last time I read it, and I was fascinated to find that Brown tendered his resignation to the Queen before Clegg had finalised a deal with the Tories.

I am sure I never knew that up until now. I was always under the assumption that Brown waitied and waited (under civil service instruction, and as a point of constitutional etiquette) until Cameron indicated he would form a government.

The fact that Brown went before a deal is interesting because if the haggling had gone on longer, perhaps Clegg would've extracted more from Cameron, and by now the Tory backbenchers would be proper frothing.

That Brown went before a Con-LD deal was done has been known for some time. I think David Laws says so in his book on the coalition negotiations and his brief first stint in government. Mandelson certainly does in his memoirs, and I'm pretty sure Cameron has confirmed it in interview as well.

I'm not convinced Brown staying a few more hours would have made much difference. The numbers were never there for a non-Con government; the only question was whether it would be a minority Con or a Con-LD coalition. By the time Brown went, that was pretty clear to everyone so the dynamics would have been relatively similar had Cameron been negotiating as an opposition leader rather than PM.
  • Options

July 8th is a tuesday, If it were a Sunday, I could get there. Bar Tat, of course!

Neither can I; hosting a Business for Britain drinks if anyone wants to pop alone
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

Presenting daytime TV has often been a good career move to get into politics, Esther McVey, Gyles Brandreth, Gloria Del Piero, Shapps looks like he should have presented daytime TV, but surprisingly has not!

I am sure QVC will take him !
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

If you're going to Ilkley Moor don't forget your hat.

I fear it'll be difficult to persuade the hound to leave the house tonight, due to all the fireworks.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Charles said:

Neither can I; hosting a Business for Britain drinks if anyone wants to pop alone
    Surely one should never pop alone.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Fenster said:

That Brown went before a Con-LD deal was done has been known for some time. I think David Laws says so in his book on the coalition negotiations and his brief first stint in government. Mandelson certainly does in his memoirs, and I'm pretty sure Cameron has confirmed it in interview as well.

I'm not convinced Brown staying a few more hours would have made much difference. The numbers were never there for a non-Con government; the only question was whether it would be a minority Con or a Con-LD coalition. By the time Brown went, that was pretty clear to everyone so the dynamics would have been relatively similar had Cameron been negotiating as an opposition leader rather than PM.
    If it's in the Seldon book then it's absolutely public knowledge. For some reason I always thought Brown waited until the deal was struck. I've read the Laws book too, so it goes to show how much I take it all in!

If Clegg asked Brown, on that fateful Tuesday, to "give me more time" and said "they have longer to negotiate coalitions" in Europe, then I deduce from that that Clegg wasn't entirely happy with Cameron's comprehensive offer and took a lesser deal than he actually wanted. It also makes Clegg and the Lib Dems like a bunch of shamelessly slippery buggers too. Using Brown and Cameron at the same time (though you can't blame them for this!).
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Charles said:

It's Etonian for m*sturbating.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

corporeal said:

Charles said:

Sorry to disappoint, but I meant "pop along". Difficult to type while holding a wriggling toddler.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Surbiton - Indeed, there is always that to fall back on if the politics does not work out
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, worry not. I'm sure we're all familiar with the difficulties of one-handed typing :p

Speaking of onanists: Sir Edric's Temple is now up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Edrics-Temple-ebook/dp/B00GCAF2CI/
  • Options
    tim said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_X said:

corporeal said:

Charles said:

Sorry to disappoint, but I meant "pop along". Difficult to type while holding a wriggling toddler.
    Sure you don't mean tiddler?
    Speak for yourself...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    Bobajob said:

In your opinion, is there any company or organisation in the UK that is not taking the piss?

Aside, obviously, from Labour and the unions?
  • Options
    Len McCluskey praises 'seductive' Scottish independence
    The “toxic” trade union leader at the centre of the Grangemouth crisis has given his strongest backing yet for Alex Salmond’s independence campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10421506/Len-McCluskey-praises-seductive-Scottish-independence.html
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Speaking of onanists: Sir Edric's Temple is now up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sir-Edrics-Temple-ebook/dp/B00GCAF2CI/

I have my copy, Mr Dancer, and look forward to reading it over the weekend.

• Options
    Glad to hear it, Mr. M. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
  • Options
    Tim - Until further notice, you are not to discuss the business activities of Grant Shapps or his aliases, directly or indirectly.

You've made a couple of comments this evening which could land Mike Smithson in trouble.

Please confirm you understand this instruction.
  • Options
    tim said:

Carola said:

Was it Gove who said fee paying schools were just a vehicle for buying "thick rich kids" a leg up?
    I'm sure his fans on here will agree with that after reading the research
    (The ones who understand the research that is)
    Not sure that it is immediately apparent that a study of schools on the other side of the world is relevant to our own school system. It misses the obvious point that perhaps Aussie state schools are just a lot better than our own and so closer to the standards of private schools.

I also see that Tim ignores the last paragraph of the article quoting a UK expert.

""This is good research, but not good advice," he said. "This looks to me like an attempt to explain the differences (in attainment) between private and state schools. There is a big difference in outcomes, although this can be explained by the difference in (schools') intake.

"This is interesting from a research point of view, but it doesn't alter the fact that the independent schools do have the best results.""
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited November 2013
    Robert Jenrick selected by Newark Conservatives for 2015 GE (majority 31.5%). He stood in Newcastle under Lyme in 2010
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    No wonder so many MPs are so keen on not having a free press anymore.
  • Options

Robert Jenrick selected by Newark Conservatives for 2015 GE (majority 31%). He stood in Newcastle under Lyme in 2010

Christ he doesn't look old enough to be out of short trousers yet let alone standing for Parliament.

http://www.robertjenrick.com/
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Ishmael_X said:

SMukesh said:

tim said:

SMukesh said:

Wouldn't it be the CPS deciding not to prosecute?

The political class really don't want even the faintest possibility of a whiff of a by-election.
  • Options
    He will get all the grandmothers vote!

Robert Jenrick selected by Newark Conservatives for 2015 GE (majority 31%). He stood in Newcastle under Lyme in 2010

Christ he doesn't look old enough to be out of short trousers yet let alone standing for Parliament.

http://www.robertjenrick.com/
  • Options
    tim said:

@DJack_Journo: Tory minister @SHammondMP used offshore co to buy 2nd home & avoid tax in UK & Portugal, says @Telegraph http://t.co/gQdy9pLqUm

Hodges and PB Tories to say this is a disaster for Ed Miliband and Labour.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited November 2013

Tim - Until further notice, you are not to discuss the business activities of Grant Shapps or his aliases, directly or indirectly.

You've made a couple of comments this evening which could land Mike Smithson in trouble.

Please confirm you understand this instruction.

Wonder if the police will send Mike a letter saying that legal advice was sought which concluded that a couple of the comments by one of your posters constitute an offence of libel, among others.However, upon the conclusion of the assessment process the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service] have decided not to instigate a criminal investigation and have now closed this matter.

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Interesting about the PB gathering in Ilkley next July.

My boyhood home, which the Tour passes on day 2, is only a mile or so away, so Ilkley is a place I knew well.

I'm still pondering a trip to the UK next year, so I might actually turn up....
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013

Wonder if the police will send Mike a letter saying that legal advice was sought which concluded that a couple of the comments by one of your posters constitute an offence of libel, among others.However, upon the conclusion of the assessment process the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service] have decided not to instigate a criminal investigation and have now closed this matter.

Libel is not a criminal offence. It is a tort. It does not fall within the jurisdiction of the police.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Libel is not a criminal offence. It is a tort. It does not fall within the jurisdiction of the police.
    Indeed, they would presumably write about any potential contempt of court accusations.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Indeed, they would presumably write about any potential contempt of court accusations.

The strict liability rule only applies where criminal proceedings are active, within the meaning of schedule 1 to the Contempt of Court Act 1981. There are no active criminal proceedings in this matter.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) Sean Thomas appears in a cartoon in Private Eye, number 1352, page 16, column 2
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2013
    These figures used to be available in publications like The Times Guide to the House of Commons but recently they've stopped bothering to do them, so I've had a go myself.

2010 election — results for each English region:

Eastern:

Con: 1,356,740 (47.12%)
    LD: 692,932 (24.07%)
    Lab: 564,581 (19.61%)
    UKIP: 123,177 (4.28%)
    BNP: 59,505 (2.07%)
    Green: 42,677 (1.48%)
    Eng Dem: 8,390 (0.29%)
    Others: 31,055 (1.08%)

East Midlands:

Con: 915,933 (41.18%)
    Lab: 661,869 (29.76%)
    LD: 463,068 (20.82%)
    UKIP: 72,659 (3.27%)
    BNP: 69,706 (3.13%)
    Green: 11,667 (0.52%)
    Eng Dem: 8,641 (0.39%)
    Others: 20,736 (0.93%)

Greater London:

Lab: 1,245,627 (36.62%)
    Con: 1,174,568 (34.53%)
    LD: 751,571 (22.10%)
    UKIP: 59,452 (1.75%)
    Green: 54,316 (1.60%)
    BNP: 52,095 (1.53%)
    Eng Dem: 9,076 (0.27%)
    Others: 54,491 (1.60%)

North East:

Lab: 518,261 (43.23%)
    Con: 282,347 (23.55%)
    LD: 280,468 (23.39%)
    BNP: 51,940 (4.33%)
    UKIP: 32,196 (2.69%)
    Green: 3,787 (0.32%)
    Eng Dem: 1,456 (0.12%)
    Others: 28,504 (2.38%)

North West:

Lab: 1,289,978 (39.41%)
    Con: 1,038,767 (31.74%)
    LD: 707,770 (21.62%)
    UKIP: 103,782 (3.17%)
    BNP: 70,032 (2.14%)
    Green: 17,046 (0.52%)
    Eng Dem: 4,533 (0.14%)
    Others: 41,122 (1.26%)

South East:

Con: 2,118,035 (49.32%)
    LD: 1,124,786 (26.19%)
    Lab: 697,567 (16.24%)
    UKIP: 177,260 (4.13%)
    Green: 62,120 (1.45%)
    BNP: 30,618 (0.71%)
    Eng Dem: 15,442 (0.36%)
    Others: 68,399 (1.59%)

South West:

Con: 1,187,637 (42.82%)
    LD: 962,954 (34.72%)
    Lab: 426,910 (15.39%)
    UKIP: 123,975 (4.47%)
    Green: 31,517 (1.14%)
    BNP: 20,866 (0.75%)
    Eng Dem: 3,277 (0.12%)
    Others: 16,307 (0.59%)

West Midlands:

Con: 1,044,081 (39.68%)
    Lab: 808,104 (30.71%)
    LD: 540,290 (20.53%)
    UKIP: 105,685 (4.02%)
    BNP: 73,394 (2.79%)
    Green: 14,996 (0.57%)
    Eng Dem: 2,289 (0.09%)
    Others: 42,710 (1.62%)

Yorkshire & The Humber:

Lab: 826,537 (34.36%)
    Con: 790,062 (32.84%)
    LD: 551,740 (22.94%)
    BNP: 104,167 (4.33%)
    UKIP: 68,378 (2.84%)
    Green: 20,824 (0.87%)
    Eng Dem: 11,722 (0.49%)
    Others: 32,139 (1.34%)
  • Options

Robert Jenrick selected by Newark Conservatives for 2015 GE (majority 31.5%). He stood in Newcastle under Lyme in 2010

Doesn't look like a smart move if the Conservatives want an outright majority come 2015. Newcastle Under Lyme is now 19th on the Conservatives' target list, so why dump the 2010 candidate?

• Options

Doesn't look like a smart move if the Conservatives want an outright majority come 2015. Newcastle Under Lyme is now 19th on the Conservatives' target list, so why dump the 2010 candidate?

Very strange indeed considering he did so well in 2010. Unless he now thins in 2015 he has no chance so has found himself a safer seat?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Since Robert Jenrick was one of the people on the Croydon South longlist, the number of people on that list is now reduced from 15 to 14.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Quincel said:

The strict liability rule only applies where criminal proceedings are active, within the meaning of schedule 1 to the Contempt of Court Act 1981. There are no active criminal proceedings in this matter.
    Ah, yes. I was mixing this up with the ongoing Brooks/Coulson trial, about which I make no further comment (of course).
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Reading the last couple of threads it's apparent why interest in politics is whaning. Why unless you where a sad obsessive would you submit yourself to the purile abuse from even sadder obsessives. We really do get the politicians we deserve.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Reading the last couple of threads it's apparent why interest in politics is whaning. Why unless you where a sad obsessive would you submit yourself to the purile abuse from even sadder obsessives. We really do get the politicians we deserve.

I think that that is true.

France deserves Hollande.

Germany deserves Merkel.

The Yookay deserves Cameron.

Sweden deserves Reinfeldt.

Scotland deserves Salmond.

France and the Yookay are clearly in masochistic moods, whereas Germany, Sweden and Scotland are in far more positive phases of their histories.

And when you consider the list of prime ministers before Cameron, you have to conclude that the Yookay has been in masochistic mood for a very long time. Such long-term self-hatred has serious consequences.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited November 2013
    I doubt if I can make dirty Dick's but I'll move heaven and earth to make Ilkley next year. I agree Bar T'at is a good option but The Regent may have more room.

Edit - oops I meant The Cresent, don't know where The Regent came from! Too early, not woken up yet
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

saddened said:

I think that that is true.

France deserves Hollande.

Germany deserves Merkel.

The Yookay deserves Cameron.

Sweden deserves Reinfeldt.

Scotland deserves Salmond.

France and the Yookay are clearly in masochistic moods, whereas Germany, Sweden and Scotland are in far more positive phases of their histories.

And when you consider the list of prime ministers before Cameron, you have to conclude that the Yookay has been in masochistic mood for a very long time. Such long-term self-hatred has serious consequences.
    But who is riding for a fall/massive u-turn - certainly Hollande and Salmond.

The UK has been in self-hate mode since the 70s and probably before with the denigration and diminishing of all things thought to be British by a certain political thought process and a preference for anything but Britishness - so leading to the rise of BNP, British jobs for British people, Eng Dems and UKIP. It also has led to near imposition of political correctness and thought control by certain political movements and so from fighting for freedom of thought in WW2and during the Cold War to near thought and speech legal suppression today.
  • Options
    Interesting comparison on the UK under EdM after 2015 and Hollande under France today. Looks at similarity of their policies, pronouncements and inbuilt attitudes and agendas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2483837.
  • Options
    A former Labour Parliamentary candidate has resigned from Unite in disgust after the Daily Mail’s revelations about the union’s bullying ‘leverage’ tactics.

Jonathan Roberts said Unite’s militant leader Len McCluskey was putting the entire union movement at risk.

He said that ‘picketing the family homes of company bosses and intimidating their children’ was not a ‘decent’ way of representing workers, and claimed the Unite leadership no longer represents the interests of members.

He is so disgusted with the ‘depressing, devious and combative way’ that Unite runs its operations that he has now torn up his membership card.

Writing on the Labour Uncut website, Mr Roberts said: ‘I’m sure in person he is an affable man, but in my view there is no greater threat to the hope of strong, responsible, decent and successful trade unionism than Len McCluskey and his most loyal supporters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2483875/Labour-man-quits-union-disgust-Daily-Mail-revelations-bullying-leverage-tactics.html#ixzz2jT7MD5xG

• Options
    "Allowing unqualified individuals to teach in our schools without needing to acquire a teaching qualification is not a risk that the Labour is willing to take."

Kevin Brennan MP is Labour’s shadow schools minister

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2013/11/01/under-cameron-it’s-easier-to-become-a-teacher-than-to-get-a-job-in-a-burger-bar/#more-17428
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T

I do hope some of our male members (fnah fnah) are participating in Movember. I did for the first time last year and my wife donated a handsome sum to the charity to get me to shave it off!

I' doing it again this year and as I'm away from home for a while, it will come as an even bigger shock when I get home. Hope the dog recognises me though :-)
  • Options
    Financier said:

Writing on the Labour Uncut website

Plenty more on there for the Daily Mail!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930
    Financier said:

A former Labour Parliamentary candidate has resigned from Unite in disgust after the Daily Mail’s revelations about the union’s bullying ‘leverage’ tactics.

Jonathan Roberts said Unite’s militant leader Len McCluskey was putting the entire union movement at risk.

He said that ‘picketing the family homes of company bosses and intimidating their children’ was not a ‘decent’ way of representing workers, and claimed the Unite leadership no longer represents the interests of members.

He is so disgusted with the ‘depressing, devious and combative way’ that Unite runs its operations that he has now torn up his membership card.

Writing on the Labour Uncut website, Mr Roberts said: ‘I’m sure in person he is an affable man, but in my view there is no greater threat to the hope of strong, responsible, decent and successful trade unionism than Len McCluskey and his most loyal supporters.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2483875/Labour-man-quits-union-disgust-Daily-Mail-revelations-bullying-leverage-tactics.html#ixzz2jT7MD5xG

If my experience is any guide he'll find it very difficult to persuade Unite's membership department he HAS resigned.
    Not paying them doesn't work!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2013
    @Financier

"He said that ‘picketing the family homes of company bosses and intimidating their children’ was not a ‘decent’ way of representing workers, and claimed the Unite leadership no longer represents the interests of members."

The irony of The Mail running a story about ruining lives through the intimidation of 'doorstepping' wont be lost on readers of The Daily mail.

Didn't they run just such a campaign on McCluskey himself a few weeks ago?

It seems the hypocrisy of newspaper people and them finally getting their comeuppence makes you wonder whether their is a higher being after all!
  • Options
    SouthCoastKevinSouthCoastKevin Posts: 158
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

As a fairly long-time lurker but new (and sporadic!) poster, I agree with this. The abusive tone of many of the comments has put me off getting more involved.

But perhaps the answer is for those who want a civilised discussion about politics and all sorts of other things simply to ignore the abuse. Don't even respond to personalised attacks.
    Financier said:

Interesting comparison on the UK under EdM after 2015 and Hollande under France today. Looks at similarity of their policies, pronouncements and inbuilt attitudes and agendas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2483837.

Yes, interesting. Miliband hasn't been mentioning his shared vision and friendship with Hollande so much recently, has he...?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Kevin, I think you might be right.

Just checked practice times, and I'll try to get the pre-qualifying piece up shortly after 11am. Oddly, I seem to have quite a lot of chores to do this morning, so it might be slightly delayed.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2013
    @SouthCoastKevin -
    "As a fairly long-time lurker but new (and sporadic!) poster, I agree with this. The abusive tone of many of the comments has put me off getting more involved. But perhaps the answer is for those who want a civilised discussion about politics and all sorts of other things simply to ignore the abuse. Don't even respond to personalised attacks."
    Wise advice. However, Kevin, in my experience the tone of blog threads is set by the proprietor and the moderators the proprietor appoints. This was the key strength of PB in the early years, and has been its key weakness in recent years.

Bullying is a culture. A culture which can become deeply ingrained in certain institutions (the HoC, armed forces and the media spring to mind). Good headmasters rid the school of it. Weak headmasters let it thrive.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    edited November 2013
    Morose thread this morning! I've had a share of abuse over the years here, but as others have said it's less than most forums and the predominant tone still seems to me to be affable at personal level. agree with SCK that not replying to abuse (or saying something light-hearted back) is a good policy. In the last resort it doesn't really matter if some anonymous bloke sneers at you.

On another subject - as an MP I always found fireworks nuisance to be big deal at this tinme of year - dozens of people would write every year that both they and their pets were terrified by bangs into the early hours every night for weeks. They felt they could have lived with big bangs on ov 5, but the habit had grown to do it for week after week. Maybe it's because I'm out of office but I've not heard anything about it this year. Are people noticing less of it?
  • Options
    Roger said:

through the intimidation of 'doorstepping' wont be lost on readers of The Daily mail.

Didn't they run just such a campaign on McCluskey himself a few weeks ago?

What? A dozen reporters in High Viz jackets with megaphones and an inflatable rat? Really?

• Options
    Very interesting figures, and perhaps worthy of a thread, particularly in the fallow period of present without many imminent events.

They may well be of interest to those planning a punt on the Euros; but also are of interest to those who would be interested in working out what the likely halving of the LibDem vote in 2015 will do regionally. I could see major tory gains in the Southwest on the cards. Also intrresting to see how it really is the English Midlands where elections are decided.

Excuse the snip to fit!
    AndyJS said:

These figures used to be available in publications like The Times Guide to the House of Commons but recently they've stopped bothering to do them, so I've had a go myself.

Eastern:

East Midlands:

Greater London:

West Midlands:

Yorkshire & The Humber:

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,970
    edited November 2013
    Mr. Palmer, were the firemen striking where you are?
  • Options
    This is one of the least abusive political forums that i know of, perhaps because of the betting slant.

On fireworks: there do seem to be fewer this year. Diwali was quieter than usual (a big event in Leicester)

Is it simply the damp and stormy weather on the particular weekends?

Off to burn a Catholic in effigy tonight myself though! It really is a very non PC event.

Morose thread this morning! I've had a share of abuse over the years here, but as others have said it's less than most forums and the predominant tone still seems to me to be affable at personal level. agree with SCK that not replying to abuse (or saying something light-hearted back) is a good policy. In the last resort it doesn't really matter if some anonymous bloke sneers at you.

On another subject - as an MP I always found fireworks nuisance to be big deal at this tinme of year - dozens of people would write every year that both they and their pets were terrified by bangs into the early hours every night for weeks. They felt they could have lived with big bangs on ov 5, but the habit had grown to do it for week after week. Maybe it's because I'm out of office but I've not heard anything about it this year. Are people noticing less of it?

• Options
    Nick - I've seen far less evidence of fireworks in general this year. The first ones I heard at all were last night. I have moved house since last year so it's not a like-for-like comparison but I would agree that their use seems to be falling. Maybe the fact that it's probably harder for youths with no great motivation but some ill-intent to buy them has something to do with it. How many corner shops or newsagents stock them these days? Indeed, how many old-fashioned corner shops are there now? I've only seen fireworks for sale at counters in major supermarkets, and then it's something like £20 for a pack of big rockets.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    AndyJS said:

Eastern:

East Midlands:

Greater London:

Others: 54,491 (1.60%)

North East:

Lab: 518,261 (43.23%)
    Con: 282,347 (23.55%)
    LD: 280,468 (23.39%)
    BNP: 51,940 (4.33%)
    UKIP: 32,196 (2.69%)
    Green: 3,787 (0.32%)
    Eng Dem: 1,456 (0.12%)
    Others: 28,504 (2.38%)

North West:

Lab: 1,289,978 (39.41%)
    Con: 1,038,767 (31.74%)
    LD: 707,770 (21.62%)
    UKIP: 103,782 (3.17%)
    BNP: 70,032 (2.14%)
    Green: 17,046 (0.52%)
    Eng Dem: 4,533 (0.14%)
    Others: 41,122 (1.26%)

South East:

Con: 2,118,035 (49.32%)
    LD: 1,124,786 (26.19%)
    Lab: 697,567 (16.24%)
    UKIP: 177,260 (4.13%)
    Green: 62,120 (1.45%)
    BNP: 30,618 (0.71%)
    Eng Dem: 15,442 (0.36%)
    Others: 68,399 (1.59%)

South West:

Con: 1,187,637 (42.82%)
    LD: 962,954 (34.72%)
    Lab: 426,910 (15.39%)
    UKIP: 123,975 (4.47%)
    Green: 31,517 (1.14%)
    BNP: 20,866 (0.75%)
    Eng Dem: 3,277 (0.12%)
    Others: 16,307 (0.59%)

West Midlands:

Yorkshire & The Humber:

The figures serve also to destroy the myth of the absence of Tories in the north while confirming the truth of the absence of Labour in the south, except for London.
  • Options
    "It is believed leveraging started in late 2011 and is a carefully considered campaign designed to ‘get around’ laws brought in under Margaret Thatcher to curb picketing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2483809/Unite-thugs-targeted-60-firms-Militants-unleashed-family-homes-hotels-charity-fun-run.html#ixzz2jTZyRqUA

Not sure it does:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/52/section/241

(1)A person commits an offence who, with a view to compelling another person to abstain from doing or to do any act which that person has a legal right to do or abstain from doing, wrongfully and without legal authority—
    (a)uses violence to or intimidates that person or his [F1spouse or civil partner]F1 or children, or injures his property.......

(d)watches or besets the house or other place where that person resides, works, carries on business or happens to be, or the approach to any such house or place, or
  • Options
    George Eaton New Statesman:

"The seven-year rule: why Labour doesn't think Cameron will save the Tories in 2015
    History shows that after seven years at the top, politicians' ratings go into decline - and Cameron can't afford to lose votes in 2015."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/seven-year-rule-why-labour-doesnt-think-cameron-will-save-tories-2015
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2013
    @Foxy

"This is one of the least abusive political forums that i know of, perhaps because of the betting slant."

I agree. Anyway give me an abusive poster over a dull whiny one any day.

My objection to the site is the moderator whose user name we're not allowed to know (which is itself Kafkaesque). I understand an internet site can't afford a libel lawyer so erring on the side of caution is understandable.

Nonetheless the moderator on this site is so cautious and illogical that this site is often the only one on the internet not discussing subjects of the moment. It's NOT a difficult judgement call.

All they need to do is tap into the legal advice of bigger organs than Mike's such as any TV station or national newspaper and allow any comment that has appeared in those with a link.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Foxy

"This is one of the least abusive political forums that i know of, perhaps because of the betting slant."

I agree. Anyway give me an abusive poster over a dull whiny one any day.

My objection to the site is the moderator whose user name we're not allowed to know (which is itself Kafkaesque). I understand an internet site can't afford a libel lawyer so erring on the side of caution is understandable.

Nonetheless the moderator on this site is so cautious and illogical that this site is often the only one on the internet not discussing subjects of the moment. It's NOT a difficult judgement call.

All they need to do is tap into the legal advice of bigger organs than Mike's such as any TV station or national newspaper and allow any comment that has appeared in those with a link.

@Roger

As OGH would say if you are unhappy with his site then you can always take your custom elsewhere.

You ignore the fact that media organisations have lawyers on tap and usually in-house who can advise on the likelihood of being sued for libel - and even they get it wrong sometimes or the proprietor/editor chooses to ignore their advice.

Mike does not have such an expensive luxury and the legal costs of having to defend a libel charge in court would be ruinous to him and his family.

If he did allow a direct quote from a newspaper with the direct link, then no comment on that quote would be allowable as we all know that certain people who constantly inhabit this site are completely unable to control themselves and so get banned. So for Mike it cannot be worth the risk.

Of course, if you were to put up a personal guarantee of say £10m plus the associated disclaimer absolving Mike from all responsibility for what you may say, then things conceivably may be possible - but it is Mike's site. If you are not happy, start up your own and we all can comment on it.
This discussion has been closed.