Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do the media ‘get it’ yet?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Do the media ‘get it’ yet?

It was no doubt a coincidence that Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks were in court in relation to the charges against them over the phone hacking scandal on the same day that newspaper and magazine publishers were also in court seeking to prevent the granting of a Royal Charter on press regulation.  Nonetheless, the former made a somewhat ironic backdrop to the latter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    test
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    A corrupt press is as inimical to a representative and free press as a corrupt political class is to a representative and well governing democracy. Both feed of each other and always will.
    It's a feedback loop where the better one is the better the other will become, and of course the worse one is the worse the other will become.
  • Options
    The press are being overpowered by social media aren't they? Just the BBC left in a dominant public-opinion forming position perhaps.

BTW Is it me or are there quite a new faces popping up on PB in recent times?

Good innit. After a 'fallow' period before.

Perhaps it's the shrinking time until the 'big' day when we Tory boys/gals are forced to bow down before the messianic PBredsters and say they were right all along - Ed squared are best for Britain.

Now there's a thought.
  • Options
    Sorry David but I think you are entirely wrong. The Press do 'get it' as do the politicians. They all know this is a once in a life time chance for the political classes to neuter the Press and get revenge for the expenses scandal. The politicians and movers in Britain look across the Channel at France with unalloyed envy and would like nothing better than the chance to have a system in place which allows them to get away with almost anything without the media being able to report it. They haven't got that yet but that is what they are aiming for. Politicians by their very nature can never be trusted and must always be exposed to the light.

Elements of our Press were stupid and deserve to be punished to the full extent of the existing law. But with the Charter in place we are now a much poorer country and will have to rely all the more on the unreliable internet for news of our political classes crimes and misdemeanors.
  • Options

The press are being overpowered by social media aren't they?

Technology in general not just one aspect of it. Social media will morph into something else when technology allows just as broadcasting is undergoing a complete sea change in it's delivery systems and methods of content provision.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

test

Passed.

Welcome and keep posting.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2013
    FPT (But appropriate to this)

@Foxy

"This is one of the least abusive political forums that i know of, perhaps because of the betting slant."

I agree. Anyway give me an abusive poster over a dull whiny one any day.

My objection to the site is the moderator whose user name we're not allowed to know (which is itself Kafkaesque). I understand an internet site can't afford a libel lawyer so erring on the side of caution is understandable.

Nonetheless the moderator on this site is so cautious and illogical that this site is often the only one on the internet not discussing subjects of the moment. It's NOT a difficult judgement call.

All they need to do is tap into the legal advice of bigger organs than Mike's such as any TV station or national newspaper and allow any comment that has appeared with a link.

Had this moderator existed at the time of Profumo we'd have been piling in on a Tory win in '64!
  • Options
    Roger said:

FPT (But appropriate to this)

@Foxy

"This is one of the least abusive political forums that i know of, perhaps because of the betting slant."

My objection to the site is the moderator whose user name we're not allowed to know (which is itself Kafkaesque). I understand an internet site can't afford a libel lawyer so erring on the side of caution is understandable.

Nonetheless the moderator on this site is so cautious and illogical that this site is often the only one on the internet not discussing subjects of the moment. It's NOT a difficult judgement call.

All they need to do is tap into the legal advice of bigger organs than Mike's such as any TV station or national newspaper and allow any comment that has appeared in those with a link.

Had this moderator existed at the time of Profumo God help the readers!

To all intents and purposes you should view the moderator as being Mike. Moderators for sites like this exist to allow the site to function 24/7 and to ensure it does so in a manner that will not get it shut down and Mike facing prosecution and libel cases.

If OGH is not happy with the way a Moderator is performing I am sure he will adjust moderation policy but revealing who the Moderators are simply undermines the basic principle that this is Mike's site and Mike's rules. At times I, along with others, may not like them and may think they are being over-cautious but to try and claim there is something Kafkaesque about it all is simply daft.

I would be far more concerned if I were you about the idea that you can have a 'free' press which is neutered by the political classes.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure what is worse: Wodger wanting to know who the moderators are or not working it out for himself. What we all have to accept is this; but for them we'd be bored for most of the day.

Love 'em or loathe them they help to keep us entertained. Well, until the pub opens....
  • Options

get revenge for the expenses scandal.

There are unquestionably still some MPs left who would like nothing better to get one over on the press just as there are unquestionably some press barons who want to go for certain politicians throats after all this *cough* unpleasantness.

A charter won't stop the politicians being politicians or the press being the press any more than the old PCC did. The press barons are all happy enough to comply with the Irish press regulations as their many Irish editions prove. The charter is most certainly NOT what Leveson recommended. It was a compromise on even that.

If the charter is ignored then the press will continue to give themselves enough rope just as surely as the politicians will by watering down and attacking their regulator in IPSA.

Scandals will continue on both sides. Charter or no charter.
    Unless the mindset changes then only the methods will change and there is absolutely no sign of the mindset changing on either side.

Yet.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    As much as it`s irritating sometimes,I am amazed the moderator acts so quickly to delete problematic posts.

This is a free site where one gets the latest political news from and it would be very disappointing to see it in difficulties,so no problems accepting the moderation policy!
  • Options
    On no account should the press exercise self-restraint. The Japanese press exercise self-restraint and you wouldn't like it if you saw it.

If the press are going to be restrained it needs to be formally codified in law where everyone can see it rather than being worked out in a behind-the-scenes stitch-up or a bunch of vaguely understood gentlemen's agreements, which invariably means some kind of social enforcement mechanism to punish people who eat their soup with the wrong spoon. But I don't think the British press need to be restrained. If you don't want your voicemail listened into, try changing the default PIN number.

PS. What an outrageous sense of entitlement the Guardian have thinking there was a problem with the government using a law supposed to allow them to detain terrorists to take information from people practicing journalism.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    SMukesh said:

As much as it`s irritating sometimes,I am amazed the moderator acts so quickly to delete problematic posts.

This is a free site where one gets the latest political news from and it would be very disappointing to see it in difficulties,so no problems accepting the moderation policy!

I agree with that. With fast breaking stories this site is often the best place to come because the users tap into more resources than any one of us might as an individual. Some people even use twitter, apparently.

This is a good piece by David as usual but I do think that he underestimates the importance of a free press. Whilst the conduct of the Guardian and the sanctimony of the BBC are indeed intensely irritating I remain of the view that, like democracy, it is the least worst of all the alternatives.
  • Options
    I believe disucssion of the moderation policy is itself a possible cause for moderation so for what it's worth I now wish to state for the records that [moderated].
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

@Roger said:

All they need to do is tap into the legal advice of bigger organs than Mike's such as any TV station or national newspaper and allow any comment that has appeared in those with a link.

@Roger

As OGH would say if you are unhappy with his site then you can always take your custom elsewhere.

You ignore the fact that media organisations have lawyers on tap and usually in-house who can advise on the likelihood of being sued for libel - and even they get it wrong sometimes or the proprietor/editor chooses to ignore their advice.

Mike does not have such an expensive luxury and the legal costs of having to defend a libel charge in court would be ruinous to him and his family.

If he did allow a direct quote from a newspaper with the direct link, then no comment on that quote would be allowable as we all know that certain people who constantly inhabit this site are completely unable to control themselves and so get banned. So for Mike it cannot be worth the risk.

Of course, if you were to put up a personal guarantee of say £10m plus the associated disclaimer absolving Mike from all responsibility for what you may say, then things conceivably may be possible - but it is Mike's site. If you are not happy, start up your own and we all can comment on it.
  • Options
    Roger, moderating the site is a challenge,as the moderators aren't on 24/7 (we do have lives outside of PB) we trust most posters to do the right thing (and the majority do err on the side of caution)

I would like you to cast your mind back to a year ago.

The moderating team (yes, there's more than one moderator) made a decision not to allow posters to speculate on the identity of the senior Tory from the Thatcher era accused by Newsnight of abusing children.

You complained then about the Kafkaesque moderation then, ultimately we proved right, as Mike wasn't one of the people sued by Lord McAlpine or others (as others were erroneously suggested)

The phone hacking trial, because of the people involved ultimately descends into partisan point scoring, where some posters of all political persuasions don't give a damn how much trouble they may get Mike into.

You will struggle to find a major and reputable England based news organisation allowing comments below the line, on the phone hacking trials, even MPs have been asked not to comment on the trial.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/10405763/Dont-comment-on-Andy-Coulson-and-Rebekah-Brooks-MPs-told.html

If MPs aren't allowed to comment on the trial, then what about us humble PBers?

Additionally the legal framework keeps on evolving.

Take what the former guardian reporter, and 2012 reporter of the year, David Hencke says about a recent European Court of Human Rights ruling on comments on a blog.

http://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/outrageous-european-court-ruling-that-bans-bloggers-free-speech/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    A rare occasion when I completely agree with David H and on the whole disagree with EiT. The self-interested panic-mongering of the media is bad enough, but the extra layer of smug self-importance makes it much worse. Either the Fourth Estate is an important part of democracy, in which case they should at least try to present some sort of balanced news reporting (they can say what they like in the editorials), or they are a branch of the entertainment industry, in which case they shouldn't whinge about regulation.

EiT is right that informal agreements risk a sort of vague establishment stitch-up. But spelling out everytihng in statue is difficult and always subject to argument, as we see with the BBC. A bit of both is indeed.
  • Options

If you don't want your voicemail listened into, try changing the default PIN number.

The law is the law and it was well understood by the press on this subject long before this current scandal. Nor is that scenario applicable to a huge number of those who are it's victims.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

PS. What an outrageous sense of entitlement the Guardian have thinking there was a problem with the government using a law supposed to allow them to detain terrorists to take information from people practicing journalism.

He was held because there was a suspicion (correctly) that he was carrying material that would be of use to terrorists. Specifically information on how to avoid surveillance. Furthermore that information had been obtained by theft.
  • Options

A rare occasion when I completely agree with David H and on the whole disagree with EiT. The self-interested panic-mongering of the media is bad enough, but the extra layer of smug self-importance makes it much worse. Either the Fourth Estate is an important part of democracy, in which case they should at least try to present some sort of balanced news reporting (they can say what they like in the editorials), or they are a branch of the entertainment industry, in which case they shouldn't whinge about regulation.

EiT is right that informal agreements risk a sort of vague establishment stitch-up. But spelling out everytihng in statue is difficult and always subject to argument, as we see with the BBC. A bit of both is indeed.

Why am I not surprised that one of the few representatives of the political class on this site thinks that a neutered press is a good idea.
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Carper.
  • Options
    saddened said:

He was held because there was a suspicion (correctly) that he was carrying material that would be of use to terrorists. Specifically information on how to avoid surveillance. Furthermore that information had been obtained by theft.
    No evidence has been provided that what was being carried could be of use to terrorists. You clearly show your own bias by accepting the statement at face value.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218

Roger, moderating the site is a challenge,as the moderators aren't on 24/7 (we do have lives outside of PB) we trust most posters to do the right thing (and the majority do err on the side of caution)

I would like you to cast your mind back to a year ago.

The moderating team (yes, there's more than one moderator) made a decision not to allow posters to speculate on the identity of the senior Tory from the Thatcher era accused by Newsnight of abusing children.

You complained then about the Kafkaesque moderation then, ultimately we proved right, as Mike wasn't one of the people sued by Lord McAlpine or others (as others were erroneously suggested)

The phone hacking trial, because of the people involved ultimately descends into partisan point scoring, where some posters of all political persuasions don't give a damn how much trouble they may get Mike into.

You will struggle to find a major and reputable England based news organisation allowing comments below the line, on the phone hacking trials, even MPs have been asked not to comment on the trial.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/10405763/Dont-comment-on-Andy-Coulson-and-Rebekah-Brooks-MPs-told.html

If MPs aren't allowed to comment on the trial, then what about us humble PBers?

Take what the former guardian reporter, and 2012 reporter of the year, David Hencke says about a recent European Court of Human Rights ruling on comments on a blog.

http://davidhencke.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/outrageous-european-court-ruling-that-bans-bloggers-free-speech/

At the risk of commenting of moderator policy I think this really is the point. It is not what media organisations themselves are putting out as they can lawyer that in advance and they are trained journalists. This is a site that goes O/T after about 3 posts and then goes wherever the participants fancy. That sort of freedom comes at a price. A point that makes this post almost on topic.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'd have more sympathy for the press position if they had shown themselves able to keep to any rules at all in the past, even their own. Yet despite voluntary codes of conduct forbidding the publication of stories or pictures about the children of celebrities without a public interest, we still see literally dozens of 'articles' every week on the pages and websites of every tabloid in the country about what the toddler of an actress or model was wearing. Despite publicly stating that they wouldn't buy paparazzi photos after Diana died in 1997, we see the media strenuously arguing that they should be able to print an extremely intrusive photo of Kate Middleton, and publishing a photo of Prince Harry naked. That photo was taken in a private room, intruding on his private life and has no public interest defence either.

If the news editors want me to believe that they can regulate themselves, then they should show some sign of actually being able to do so. The only thing that ever draws a line in their behaviour (such as with the Kate photos) is the threat of legal action.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

No evidence has been provided that what was being carried could be of use to terrorists. You clearly show your own bias by accepting the statement at face value.
    I believe that the guardian have confirmed that he was carrying Snowden material. That material contains details of tools and techniques which if revealed enable avoidance of them. Willing to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    Roger said:

My objection to the site is the moderator whose user name we're not allowed to know (which is itself Kafkaesque).

There are more than one of us, you know!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    edited November 2013
    F1: P3 just beginning.

Reports on Twitter that Quantum, the potential Lotus major sponsor, wants Hulkenberg. If that's true it could be very good news. The background music for a while has been that Maldonado will get the seat.

Edited extra bit: might have confused Quantum with Infinity, actually, but if so then Quantum is a current sponsor. So it's still good news.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

I believe that the guardian have confirmed that he was carrying Snowden material. That material contains details of tools and techniques which if revealed enable avoidance of them. Willing to be proved wrong.
    It is not for you to be proved wrong but for you to prove yourself correct. You are making a series of assumptions based upon your own personal views and using them to justify the detention of an individual. It is for the authorities (or you if you seek to defend them) to provide the evidence for this.

• Options
    David H

Thank you again for a balanced review of a currently almost unsolvable problem, but I cannot agree with your conclusion.

I am probably one of the few PBers who has lived and worked under a totalitarian regime where even the faintest whisper and glance was monitored and people who criticised any part of the ruling regime just disappeared for ever.

Now we in the UK are far from that, but where politics (at all levels) receives a financial reward there is a real danger of corruption and secrecy for secrecy's sake. Why have councils refused to have their meetings visually recorded - something to hide???

There is one problem that nobody in the world has solved and that is electronic communication and how to handle it and control it. Most of us have (or should have) firewalls, which are totally inadequate, on our computers, servers, email, mobile phones etc. However it is very easy to punch a hole in any firewall if you are determined to do it.

We have three layers of firewall before anyone can reach any of our office computers, but regularly we are able to trace the identity of people/organisations who have tried to enter our system. - up to 100 per week from Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe.

The Data Protection Act was supposed to protect personal privacy and has been used as an excuse by public bodies to refuse FOI requests. However, those same public bodies have been quite happy to sell bundles of personal IDs to willing buyers.

I would prefer a free media that gets tested in a UK court regularly (and a UK media should be subject only to a UK court and not to any European ruling) and so finds its own level than any legal restriction that has been influenced by parties who want to control that media for their own privileges.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    OT Nostalgia moment.

TV 30 Years Ago @tv30yearsago
    ITV 6.35 Crossroads 7.00 Name That Tune 7.30 Corrie 8 This Is Your Life 8.30 Benny Hill 9 Reilly: Ace Of Spies 10 News 10.30 Midweek Sport
  • Options
    Just popping in before I go out for the day - nice cartoon, Marf!
    Plato said:

OT Nostalgia moment.

ITV 6.35 Crossroads 7.00 Name That Tune 7.30 Corrie 8 This Is Your Life 8.30 Benny Hill 9 Reilly: Ace Of Spies 10 News 10.30 Midweek Sport

I remember most of those programmes - ah, nostalgia!
  • Options
    Plato said:

OT Nostalgia moment.

Good Morning Miss Nostalgia,

Do you consider that offering better or worse than that served up by the same station today? and did you watch any of those programmes? I do recall the 8.30 and 9pm ones.
  • Options
    F1: Quantum/Infinity - right, confusion is my fault. It was called Infinity, but they changed the name to Quantum because otherwise it would've been easily confused with Red Bull's Infiniti major sponsor.

The potential sponsorship deal should be sorted in a few weeks.

It's possible Hulkenberg will end up with no seat at all, or he could still go to Lotus, Force India (he apparently has a 2 year deal from them), stay at Sauber or go to Ferrari as a reserve driver.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited November 2013
    saddened said:

That's not what the law was supposed to allow them to stop people for. In any case we all carry material that would be of use to terrorists.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Financier

"You ignore the fact that media organisations have lawyers on tap and usually in-house who can advise on the likelihood of being sued for libel -"

At least take the trouble to read a post you reply to
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2013
    Financier said:

David H

Thank you again for a balanced review of a currently almost unsolvable problem, but I cannot agree with your conclusion.

I am probably one of the few PBers who has lived and worked under a totalitarian regime where even the faintest whisper and glance was monitored and people who criticised any part of the ruling regime just disappeared for ever.

Now we in the UK are far from that, but where politics (at all levels) receives a financial reward there is a real danger of corruption and secrecy for secrecy's sake. Why have councils refused to have their meetings visually recorded - something to hide???

There is one problem that nobody in the world has solved and that is electronic communication and how to handle it and control it. Most of us have (or should have) firewalls, which are totally inadequate, on our computers, servers, email, mobile phones etc. However it is very easy to punch a hole in any firewall if you are determined to do it.

We have three layers of firewall before anyone can reach any of our office computers, but regularly we are able to trace the identity of people/organisations who have tried to enter our system. - up to 100 per week from Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe.

The Data Protection Act was supposed to protect personal privacy and has been used as an excuse by public bodies to refuse FOI requests. However, those same public bodies have been quite happy to sell bundles of personal IDs to willing buyers.

I would prefer a free media that gets tested in a UK court regularly (and a UK media should be subject only to a UK court and not to any European ruling) and so finds its own level than any legal restriction that has been influenced by parties who want to control that media for their own privileges.

I can only say that I agree 100% with Financier (above). The Royal Charter is the thin edge of a wedge which as we know from past experience with governmental edicts, rapidly thickens in a very short time.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sorry David but I think you are entirely wrong. The Press do 'get it' as do the politicians. They all know this is a once in a life time chance for the political classes to neuter the Press and get revenge for the expenses scandal. The politicians and movers in Britain look across the Channel at France with unalloyed envy and would like nothing better than the chance to have a system in place which allows them to get away with almost anything without the media being able to report it. They haven't got that yet but that is what they are aiming for. Politicians by their very nature can never be trusted and must always be exposed to the light.

Elements of our Press were stupid and deserve to be punished to the full extent of the existing law. But with the Charter in place we are now a much poorer country and will have to rely all the more on the unreliable internet for news of our political classes crimes and misdemeanors.

There is a case for a much clearer (and narrower) definition of the public interest defence, so that newspapers can't use that as a loophole at will. I could also see that the definition could be different for different types of people (eg politicians/celebutards/people who choose to be in the public eye vs senior public servants (non elected) vs ordinary members of the public).

But to create this mechanism rather than just enforce the current laws is a power grab by those vested interests who hate the free press
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    How does an individual hold the government to account without the media? I might, by happenstance, see a major politician or other public figure doing something he or she wouldn't want known, and against which he or she normally campaigns.
    Without the media how do I expose such hypocrisy?
  • Options

How does an individual hold the government to account without the media? I might, by happenstance, see a major politician or other public figure doing something he or she wouldn't want known, and against which he or she normally campaigns.
    Without the media how do I expose such hypocrisy?

Would "Leverage" be acceptable?
  • Options
    The truth is the media in this country and others have become not a vehicle to hold the government to account but a vehicle for media barons to inflict damage on political parties who don`t agree with them and change governments at their will.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

The truth is the media in this country and others have become not a vehicle to hold the government to account but a vehicle for media barons to inflict damage on political parties who don`t agree with them and change governments at their will.

I don't think they have that much clout any more, but how much does it cost to buy a high-circulation, low-profit newspaper nowadays? If they have that much influence it might be worth setting up something on kickstarter. I'd be prepared to chip in 0.5 bitcoins if we get one of the big ones like The Sun or The Mail.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2013
    V interesting post by DH and comments - I'm not in favour of state regulation, and I would trust politicians & pressure groups as far as I could throw them if they try to use laws to hide their links to unions, donors, special interest groups, family interests et al.

The press are as self serving as any pressure group masquerading as moral judges.

If Financier's post had a like button, his post & others would have had ticks from me.
  • Options

Agree.

It is unfortunate, to put it mildly, that this illegal activity was not investigated properly when first uncovered in 2002 - we had the laws in place then to sort it out - but lacked the (political? police management? prosecutorial?) will to uncover it.

That's a real scandal too.

If the police had 'followed the evidence' then, this could have been shut down a lot sooner....
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

The expenses scandal was not party politically motivated

• Options

If the police had 'followed the evidence' then, this could have been shut down a lot sooner....

We obviously can't go into specifics but the idea that this can all be easily shoved onto the police to take care of is somewhat fanciful if they themselves are directly involved in it.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

The expenses scandal was not party politically motivated

See today's Telegraph front page - going after a Tory Minister who is a second home owner, and one of the bitterest critics of Labour is often the Guardian.....with the Mail & the Telegraph its often 'going through the motions' - with the Guardian they really mean it.....
  • Options
    saddened said:

One more point on this: Journalists often carry, and publish, information that is potentially useful to terrorists that has been leaked by people in the intelligence agencies to show what a great job the intelligence agencies are doing, or impress people with the need to give the intelligence agencies more power. For example, officials leaked information on the conversations that prompted the shutdown of US embassies earlier this year, which seems to have caused more harm to intelligence gathering than the original Snowden leaks:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/30/us/qaeda-plot-leak-has-undermined-us-intelligence.html?hp&_r=1&pagewanted=all&

Should journalists who carry leaks that are designed to make people inclined to support their intelligence agencies be subject to similar treatment, or should it be reserved for journalists who print unflattering information?
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Don't want freedom of the press messed with, but I can't say I'm that impressed with what they make of it. It's not only the soul-sucking trivia; it's the unbalanced, poorly researched garbage that they report as fact.
  • Options

A politician accusing another group of smug self importance?

You really don't get it do you?
  • Options

The self-interested panic-mongering of the media is bad enough, but the extra layer of smug self-importance makes it much worse.

I don't disagree with any of that, but there's a First They Came For The Communists angle to this one.

(Something like "First they came for The Daily Mail, and I was silent because I didn't harbour a deep-seated bigotry about gypsies".)
  • Options
    Parliament should have one key thing when it comes to regulating the press:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Still the best regulation mindset centuries later.
  • Options
    Financier said:

saddened said:

Reading the last couple of threads it's apparent why interest in politics is whaning. Why unless you where a sad obsessive would you submit yourself to the purile abuse from even sadder obsessives. We really do get the politicians we deserve.

I think that that is true.

France deserves Hollande.

Germany deserves Merkel.

The Yookay deserves Cameron.

Sweden deserves Reinfeldt.

Scotland deserves Salmond.

France and the Yookay are clearly in masochistic moods, whereas Germany, Sweden and Scotland are in far more positive phases of their histories.

And when you consider the list of prime ministers before Cameron, you have to conclude that the Yookay has been in masochistic mood for a very long time. Such long-term self-hatred has serious consequences.
    But who is riding for a fall/massive u-turn - certainly Hollande and Salmond.

The UK has been in self-hate mode since the 70s and probably before with the denigration and diminishing of all things thought to be British by a certain political thought process and a preference for anything but Britishness - so leading to the rise of BNP, British jobs for British people, Eng Dems and UKIP. It also has led to near imposition of political correctness and thought control by certain political movements and so from fighting for freedom of thought in WW2and during the Cold War to near thought and speech legal suppression today.
    So, Salmond is "certainly" riding for a fall/massive u-turn is he? That is a very strong assertion, reeking of complacency.

Please feel free to invest your hard-earned cash on this "ceretainty":

Betfair - Scotland Independence Referendum 2014

Yes 6
    No 1.19
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

SMukesh said:

I don't think they have that much clout any more, but how much does it cost to buy a high-circulation, low-profit newspaper nowadays? If they have that much influence it might be worth setting up something on kickstarter. I'd be prepared to chip in 0.5 bitcoins if we get one of the big ones like The Sun or The Mail.
    The Sun and The Mail are profitable. What you're looking for is a dog like The Guardian or The Indy.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

"Judges have made the extraordinary decision to hold news sites and blogs legally responsible for all the comments put up on their site even if they take them down after a complaint."

If you couple that with the European Arrest Warrant, the framework for mass-website-shakedowns is in place.

• Options
    One aspect of the David Miranda (Greenwald's partner) detention I never understood - what was he doing transiting via Heathrow in the first place? Flying from Berlin to Rio there are much better connections via the continent.......unless they wanted to parade him in front of British security.....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am not saying every media outlet is corrupted but a lot of them have an agenda.And news is reported on the front page or a two line afterthought depending on which political party they could affect.

We have had news outlets in this Parliament trying to buy up photos which could cause damage to the government inorder to stop them being published.Would they have done so if an opposition politician was involved?

So the press just like MP`s,lawyers,doctors,businessmen,judges and everyone else who wields power needs some regulation to stop them misusing their power.But they have managed to avoid tougher regulation all these years precisely because of the power at their disposal and the fear of reprisals of annoying them.

• Options
    'Even so, the idea that in a democratic system it is the media and not opposition parties, backbenchers and ultimately the public who hold a government to account has to be challenged'

I'm pretty sure that the media should be part of the coalition that holds a government to account (and a p!ss-poor job they make of it at times). If what you're saying is that the media shouldn't consider themselves the sole arbiter of that accountability, I'd certainly agree.

Off topic, UKIP (very unwisely imo) dabbling their toes in sectarian waters.

http://tinyurl.com/oqft9ja

'ethnic cleansing', 'cultural cleansing', 'glorifying terrorism' 'Irish Republican fascism'

Deary me.

• Options
    Financier said:

Plato said:

OT Nostalgia moment.

Good Morning Miss Nostalgia,

Do you consider that offering better or worse than that served up by the same station today? and did you watch any of those programmes? I do recall the 8.30 and 9pm ones.
    My hubby and I used to play Name That Tune as a mickey take on each other if we talked about a pet subject too often :^ )

Reilly Ace of Spies had the most wonderful theme - Gadfly, never a Benny Hill fan even as a kid though Ernie the Fastest Milkman was wonderful. Never watched more than a handful of Corrie, but Crossroads was so terrible it was good even when I was at primary school and watched it after the kids' progs finished!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8T2wHiQ5DQ
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862

Financier said:

saddened said:

Reading the last couple of threads it's apparent why interest in politics is whaning. Why unless you where a sad obsessive would you submit yourself to the purile abuse from even sadder obsessives. We really do get the politicians we deserve.

I think that that is true.

France deserves Hollande.

Germany deserves Merkel.

The Yookay deserves Cameron.

Sweden deserves Reinfeldt.

Scotland deserves Salmond.

France and the Yookay are clearly in masochistic moods, whereas Germany, Sweden and Scotland are in far more positive phases of their histories.

And when you consider the list of prime ministers before Cameron, you have to conclude that the Yookay has been in masochistic mood for a very long time. Such long-term self-hatred has serious consequences.
    But who is riding for a fall/massive u-turn - certainly Hollande and Salmond.

The UK has been in self-hate mode since the 70s and probably before with the denigration and diminishing of all things thought to be British by a certain political thought process and a preference for anything but Britishness - so leading to the rise of BNP, British jobs for British people, Eng Dems and UKIP. It also has led to near imposition of political correctness and thought control by certain political movements and so from fighting for freedom of thought in WW2and during the Cold War to near thought and speech legal suppression today.
    So, Salmond is "certainly" riding for a fall/massive u-turn is he? That is a very strong assertion, reeking of complacency.

Yes 6
    No 1.19
    Stuart, add stupidity to your list
  • Options

Yes 6
    No 1.19

Financier lost interest once he realised the bookies wouldn't take his £1million stake.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited November 2013
    SMukesh said:

a lot of them have an agenda.

Name one that doesn't.

We all have an 'agenda' or 'perspective' - even organisations that by law should be 'neutral' (what ever that is!). The BBC is a case in point, while it strives for 'neutrality' (generally pretty successfully) it inevitably reflects the 'world view' of those who work there.
  • Options
    Quite.

"I can't quite believe that I've just sat through ten minutes of BBC television in which British journalists Owen Jones and Zoe Williams have defended Karl Marx as the prophet of the End of Capitalism. Unbelievable because I had thought Marxism was over with the fall of the Berlin Wall – when we discovered that socialism was one part bloodshed, one part farce. But unbelievable also because you'd have to be a pretty lacking in moral sensitivity to defend a thinker whose work sent millions of people to an early grave.

I don't want to have to rehearse the numbers but, apparently, they're not being taught in schools anymore – so here goes. Sixty-five million were murdered in China – starved, hounded to suicide, shot as class traitors. Twenty million in the USSR, 2 million in North Korea, 1.7 million in Africa. The nightmare of Cambodia (2 million dead) is especially vivid. "Reactionaries" were sorted out from the base population on the grounds of being supporters of the old regime, having gone to school or just for wearing glasses. They were taken to the side of paddy fields and hacked to death by teenagers. > http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100244023/the-left-is-trying-to-rehabilitate-karl-marx-lets-remind-them-of-the-millions-who-died-in-his-name/
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Name one that doesn't.

We all have an 'agenda' or 'perspective' - even organisations that by law should be 'neutral' (what ever that is!). The BBC is a case in point, while it strives for 'neutrality' (generally pretty successfully) it inevitably reflects the 'world view' of those who work there.
    Ofourse broadcasters are governed by Ofcom and they have to be impartial according to regulations.

I have sympathy that the press shouldn`t be curtailed with this as they are competing with broadcasters for attention and they might become uncompetitive.

But when they are being repetitively unfair to groups,there is a case for some regulations to stop that.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    It is difficult to get an objective opinion about the new Charter because of the vested interests on all sides making claims about what it will and will not mean

Could somebody (anybody) give me an example of something that the press can do now that will be prevented under the new Charter. I am genuinely trying to assess where I stand on this as I can see it from different points of view.
  • Options
    What a superb and beautifully-written piece by David H - one of his best, and that is very high praise indeed.

All the same, whilst he argues his point very well, I think he is wrong. The question isn't whether the press should be above the law - no-one, and certainly not the press (with the possible exception of the Guardian in respect of the Snowden revelations) has suggested that they should be. The question is whether the pre-Leveson legal framework, which has given us a vigorous and free press for many years, was so inadequate that we need the more draconian direct regulation which the three main parties have put together, and whether the legal balance needs to be changed. I don't think this case has been made.

We already have some of the most strict libel laws in the the world; we already have laws against hacking and against bribing public officials; we have the concept of contempt of court. The abuses by the media which have come to light in the last three years or so were already illegal; this point is crucial, and seems to have been forgotten. The failure was a failure, by the police and by the CPS, to enforce the law. Worse than that, the police not only seem to include a disturbingly large number of rotten apples, but more generally seem to have interpreted their role, at a senior level, as being PR agents who need to cultivate contacts of dubious propriety with the press. This was a failure of police culture and leadership (and ultimately a political failure of the ministers overseeing them), not a flaw in the legal framework.

Given all this, do we also need bureaucratic, politician-decreed regulation of a free press, rather than better enforcement of existing laws? I'd be more sympathetic to the argument that we do if it didn't look as though it was driven by a combination of revenge for the expenses scandal, commercial jealousy of the Murdoch empire, petulance from Labour at the fact that Murdoch stopped supporting them, and celebrities being hacked off at the fact that the press won't give them publicity only of the sort they themselves stage-manage.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Name one that doesn't.

Ofourse broadcasters are governed by Ofcom and they have to be impartial according to regulations.

I have sympathy that the press shouldn`t be curtailed with this as they are competing with broadcasters for attention and they might become uncompetitive.

But when they are being repetitively unfair to groups,there is a case for some regulations to stop that.
    The Morning Star is very unfair to capitalists - should they have their freedom of speech curtailed? This is nothing to do with broadcasting but with being able to say what others don't like. I sincerely wish we had a First Amendment here. Sure you get crazies like Westboro Baptists but that's a pretty small price to pay.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

The Sun and The Mail are profitable. What you're looking for is a dog like The Guardian or The Indy.

Nah, I want a proper, high-circulation tabloid, not some worthy broadsheet. How much are we talking about?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

The question isn't whether the press should be above the law - no-one, and certainly not the press (with the possible exception of the Guardian in respect of the Snowden revelations) has suggested that they should be.

LOL

Actions speak louder than words.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,307
    edited November 2013
    What a thoughtful and intelligent thread. Thank you David for stimulating it.

There's only one point I would add to the many good points made from a variety of perspectives. It would be a lot easier to defend the Press from Government control if it actually did a better job of investigating in the public interest. As it is, Press investigation seems to focus primarily on trivia and tittilation. Ok, this is in response to public demand, but why should we maintain laws to defend the Press when its aims are so mind-numbingly trivial?

I recall from my youth that investigative journalism once did a pretty good job of exposing injustice and corruption. This is rarely the case these days.

I would disagree with David's conclusions if we were talking about the Press of my youth. The Press of today? It can go hang. My freedom owes little to it, fortunately.
  • Options
    The Press Freedom Index is an annual ranking of countries compiled and published by Reporters Without Borders based upon the organization's assessment of the countries' press freedom records in the previous year. It reflects the degree of freedom that journalists, news organizations, and netizens enjoy in each country, and the efforts made by the authorities to respect and ensure respect for this freedom. Reporters Without Borders is careful to note that the index only deals with press freedom and does not measure the quality of journalism nor does it look at human rights violations in general

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Freedom_Index
  • Options
    F1: pre-qualifying piece is here: http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/abu-dhabi-pre-qualifying.html

No tips, as, despite about half a dozen betting ideas, the odds were bad for all of them.

Betfair's Winner Without Vettel market could be interesting on race day.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Nah, I want a proper, high-circulation tabloid, not some worthy broadsheet. How much are we talking about?

In my far distant youth, Edmund, both the Daily Mirror and Daily Express woud have qualified. They were both fine campaigning newspapers, with real clout and a loyal readership.

You wouldn't waste tuppence on either now. And I certaily wouldn't waste breath defending their 'freedoms'.
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, if you give away a freedom you can't get it back. The press may be largely rubbish, but permanently curtailing their freedom is not the hallmark of a civilised society.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, if you give away a freedom you can't get it back. The press may be largely rubbish, but permanently curtailing their freedom is not the hallmark of a civilised society.

Honestly, Morris, if I thought I was giving much away, I'd man the barricades with you.

But I am not, so I won't.

• Options
    Mr. Punter, this isn't only about the media. The law would apply to blogs, websites and comments, yes? And the EU a few months ago was trying to get through a law effectively allowing it to censor anti-EU 'propaganda'.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Quite.

"I can't quite believe that I've just sat through ten minutes of BBC television in which British journalists Owen Jones and Zoe Williams have defended Karl Marx as the prophet of the End of Capitalism. Unbelievable because I had thought Marxism was over with the fall of the Berlin Wall – when we discovered that socialism was one part bloodshed, one part farce. But unbelievable also because you'd have to be a pretty lacking in moral sensitivity to defend a thinker whose work sent millions of people to an early grave.

I don't want to have to rehearse the numbers but, apparently, they're not being taught in schools anymore – so here goes. Sixty-five million were murdered in China – starved, hounded to suicide, shot as class traitors. Twenty million in the USSR, 2 million in North Korea, 1.7 million in Africa. The nightmare of Cambodia (2 million dead) is especially vivid. "Reactionaries" were sorted out from the base population on the grounds of being supporters of the old regime, having gone to school or just for wearing glasses. They were taken to the side of paddy fields and hacked to death by teenagers. > http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100244023/the-left-is-trying-to-rehabilitate-karl-marx-lets-remind-them-of-the-millions-who-died-in-his-name/

@Plato

But the real essence of Marxism as practised is riches and privileges for the few at the very top and favours dispensed to their near supporters and the rest are viewed as no better than slave labour.

I have been a guest at the lavish dachas used by members of the Praesidium of the Central Committee of the Communist Party in the former USSR, listened to their private conversations and been whisked along in the limousine occupying that reserved central lane. It was (and still is Putin's objective) certainly power and riches for members of that very exclusive club and poverty for the rest, and certainly no press and media freedom, excepting a rapidly moving underground press who lived in fear of their lives.

Of course people like Williams and Jones would like to resurrect Marxism in the abject hope to become a member of the favoured few, but they would be among the first to be sent to the gulags.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Honestly, Morris, if I thought I was giving much away, I'd man the barricades with you.

But I am not, so I won't.

I hope you realise you are in danger of giving up this precious liberty viciously threatened by replacing the old (and in no way a complete joke) PCC with an independent one?
    Jonathan Haynes ‏@JonathanHaynes

I mean it’s not like Daily Mail editor in chief Paul Dacre is chairman of the PCC’s code of practice/ethics committee or anything. Oh. It is.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,923
    edited November 2013
    "The Left is trying to rehabilitate Karl Marx. Let's remind them of the millions who died in his name"

The headline is the most intelligent thing about that article. Marx did nothing except write books. He went to his grave having killed no-one.
  • Options
    OT: The GOP war of the lunatics shows no sign of stopping or lessening in it's acrimony.
    Amitabh Chandra ‏@amitabhchandra2 53m

After sleeping for 5 years, Big Business wakes up to the fact that the Tea Party is really bad for business...http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/us/
  • Options
    I doubt these reforms will make a blind bit of difference. The press will continue behaving terribly and the politicians will continue letting them get away with it.
  • Options

Mr. Punter, this isn't only about the media. The law would apply to blogs, websites and comments, yes? And the EU a few months ago was trying to get through a law effectively allowing it to censor anti-EU 'propaganda'.

Point taken, Morris, and I see the dangers. I just don't think they should cause us to defend the indefensible.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

OT: The GOP war of the lunatics shows no sign of stopping or lessening in it's acrimony.

After sleeping for 5 years, Big Business wakes up to the fact that the Tea Party is really bad for business...http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/us/

It's pretty obvious, when you think about it, that you can't do business with a group of people who only say No.

• Options

Point taken, Morris, and I see the dangers. I just don't think they should cause us to defend the indefensible.

But isn't that the definition of free speech? If no one liked what the press were saying, they wouldn't buy them. Provided what they do isn't unlawful - and that they're prosecuted if they are.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Plato said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Name one that doesn't.

The Morning Star is very unfair to capitalists - should they have their freedom of speech curtailed? This is nothing to do with broadcasting but with being able to say what others don't like. I sincerely wish we had a First Amendment here. Sure you get crazies like Westboro Baptists but that's a pretty small price to pay.
    I agree with Plato.
    Publish what you like, if it's illegally obtained though whoever obtains it should feel the full force of the law.
  • Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Owen Paterson - to become the hidden killer of more Britons than Kaiser Bill or Adolf Hitler.

Read this, Owen, please.
  • Options
    I am still not sure why the press needs regulating other than by the normal operation of the law. Not sure I can say any more as we are not allowed to comment on current events.

However I would change the libel laws: firstly, damages should be no more than an estimate of the actual cost of the lie plus a notional sum for hurt feelings which should not vary according the claimant's wealth.

Also: individuals who seek to promote themselves and earn money through the pursuit of celebrity - such as footballers - should have no right to privacy.

So as you can see, I think the press needs more freedom not less. But if they break the law - phone hacking, bribing public officials - then they should be pursued with the full force of the law.

I do find David's comment about "That deeply corrosive and undemocratic mind-set" deeply worrying, but then he is a Tory and presumably has a Conservative predilection for preserving institutions as they stand. The problem is our current politicians will not hold the Government to account, as the system is corrupt: will someone hold the Government to account if they want a Ministerial post and the enhanced retirement earnings that that brings?

In the end the only way we can hold Government to account is openness: every action of the Government should be deemed to be in the public domain. After all I am a taxpayer, a voter and a citizen: I own the Government, it acts in my name. It should have no right to privacy. The Press helps us to achieve this.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330

Why am I not surprised that one of the few representatives of the political class on this site thinks that a neutered press is a good idea.

Ignoring the ad hominem bit, a question I'm curious about is whether people who like the status quo actually think our press is any good? The passing comments on the thread suggest a pretty fundamental disagreement about that. Personally I think they're mostly rubbish, the worst of the half dozen countries' press that I intermittently follow - axe-grinding, sensationalising, voyeuristic, prurient, hypocritical, selective, self-interested, self-congratulatory and a completely unreliable guide to what is actually happening at any moment. If a story about alleged government wrong-doing doesn't fit current editorial preference, it risks being simply ignored - and that works unpredictably (e.g. a former senior Mail journalist told me that they skated over a series of anti-Government stories in 1997-98 because they reckoned it would annoy their readers during the Blair honeymoon).

That said, I agree it's important that the press is able to expose public wrong-doing (and Financier, obviously even our present press is better than in North Korea or wherever it was that you were working). What part of the Charter prevents them from doing that?

• Options
    @NickPalmer

"...the worst of the half dozen countries' press that I intermittently follow - axe-grinding, sensationalising, voyeuristic, prurient, hypocritical, selective, self-interested, self-congratulatory and a completely unreliable guide to what is actually happening at any moment."

Yeah, but apart from that, Nick? Tell us what you really think. ;-)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

"The Left is trying to rehabilitate Karl Marx. Let's remind them of the millions who died in his name"

The headline is the most intelligent thing about that article. Marx did nothing except write books. He went to his grave having killed no-one.

Apparently he hated Britain though!
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013

Ignoring the ad hominem bit, a question I'm curious about is whether people who like the status quo actually think our press is any good? The passing comments on the thread suggest a pretty fundamental disagreement about that. Personally I think they're mostly rubbish, the worst of the half dozen countries' press that I intermittently follow - axe-grinding, sensationalising, voyeuristic, prurient, hypocritical, selective, self-interested, self-congratulatory and a completely unreliable guide to what is actually happening at any moment.

Yes, they are mostly rubbish, but I'm not sure the comparison with other countries suggests that stricter regulation is the answer. The press in France is worse than ours, in terms of political coverage and revealing wrong-doings by politicians, perhaps because of their strict privacy laws; maybe that's why their politics has tended to be more corrupt than ours. The US has some sober and high-quality newspapers, despite much less regulation and a strong constitutional barrier to any curtailment of press freedom and a less strict libel law environment. (In passing, there's one thing the US press gets overwhelmingly right compared with ours, which is that they try to maintain the distinction between reporting the news, and commenting on it).
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Mick_Pork said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/us/politics/in-alabama-race-a-test-of-business-efforts-to-derail-tea-party.html?_r=0

It's pretty obvious, when you think about it, that you can't do business with a group of people who only say No.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/01/us/politics/in-alabama-race-a-test-of-business-efforts-to-derail-tea-party.html?_r=0

The tea party are also using the big money backers as ammunition themselves by saying this proves the establishment GOP is in the pocket of big business and doesn't care about the base and the 'little guys'.
    Entrepreneurial Law ‏@TrepLaw 1h

Big Business Risks Alienating Small Business by Shunning Tea Party - Entrepreneur http://dlvr.it/4FX6qY

That rhetoric will go down well with their zealot activists but the big money still buys plenty of airtime for political ads which will likely see many of the non tea party wing in the GOP win in primary runoffs.

Problem is it certainly won't get rid of anywhere near all of the tea party influence in the GOP. This either gets to the point of a breakaway third party with one of the most amusing of the tea party big names in charge - or it will all come right back down to a GOP "crazy off" even more hilarious than the last time. Hard to believe though that is.

• Options

@NickPalmer

"...the worst of the half dozen countries' press that I intermittently follow - axe-grinding, sensationalising, voyeuristic, prurient, hypocritical, selective, self-interested, self-congratulatory and a completely unreliable guide to what is actually happening at any moment."

Yeah, but apart from that, Nick? Tell us what you really think. ;-)

And that's just Nick talking about the Guardian...
  • Options
    Plato said:

But isn't that the definition of free speech? If no one liked what the press were saying, they wouldn't buy them. Provided what they do isn't unlawful - and that they're prosecuted if they are.
    It isn't just that they break existing laws, Plato, they also behave very badly whilst staying (just) within them.

I don't see why we shouldn't change the laws to rein them in a bit. We would do so with other groups. There's nothing special about the Press. They do little to merit special treatment.

• Options
    Mr. Palmer, even if the press is terrible in terms of morality and competence, there are few situations that cannot be made far worse.

The acts of which they have been accused in recent years have been criminal offences, and already illegal. The modern tendency of politicians to try and legislate away bad things is juvenile and foolish.
  • Options

Ignoring the ad hominem bit, a question I'm curious about is whether people who like the status quo actually think our press is any good? The passing comments on the thread suggest a pretty fundamental disagreement about that. Personally I think they're mostly rubbish, the worst of the half dozen countries' press that I intermittently follow - axe-grinding, sensationalising, voyeuristic, prurient, hypocritical, selective, self-interested, self-congratulatory and a completely unreliable guide to what is actually happening at any moment. If a story about alleged government wrong-doing doesn't fit current editorial preference, it risks being simply ignored - and that works unpredictably (e.g. a former senior Mail journalist told me that they skated over a series of anti-Government stories in 1997-98 because they reckoned it would annoy their readers during the Blair honeymoon)... snip

Given that lots of people pay to read it - millions a day, well clearly a lot of us do. We also buy books with Katie Price on the cover - or attempted orangutan sex by @SeanT or 50 Shades of lite S&M.

I really do not get this snobbish attitude. I tried Thomas Hardy and found it dreary and unreadable - but that's *literature* ... and therefore *better*.

If people didn't value it - they wouldn't pay for it.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Plato said:

I don't want to have to rehearse the numbers but, apparently, they're not being taught in schools anymore – so here goes. Sixty-five million were murdered in China – starved, hounded to suicide, shot as class traitors.

That's an exaggeration, both in terms of numbers and vocabulary. The number of people who died in the "Great Leap Forward" is variously estimated as anything from about 15 million to about 43 million, but not 65 million. And they were not all "murdered"; they died of starvation, illness, malnutrition, ill-treatment, violence, murder, suicide, famine and all sorts of other causes. The word "murder" implies that there was a starting point of a deliberate calculated intention to cause death, but from "Mao's Great Famine" by Frank Dikoetter, it is clear that the main cause was catastrophic incompetence in the management of society, the economy and the infrastructure of production. This was compounded by the lack of proper feedback mechanisms and accountability (i.e. lack of market forces). Thus it can be argued that communism was one of the main root causes of the deaths, but that in itself doesn't make it murder.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

laus donanda ubicumque merita – well said.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Plato said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Name one that doesn't.

Surely you don`t think I am expecting the Morning Star not to be governed by the same regulations as the rest of the press.

People can ofcourse wish the press to be free of all control but no reason to pretend that it`s always in the public interest to do so.

As @NickPalmer points out,the press act in their own interest at all times and on many occasions go against the public interest by refusing to publish material depending on what their political allegiances are.So perhaps they shouldn`t use the public interest defence to avoid regulation.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) In this week's Private Eye there is a cartoon showing a man being interviewed on a TV chat show. The interviewee says "I am a flâneur… a littérateur… a saloniste… there is no word in English" and the interviewer has a thought-bubble saying "Yeah, there is, mate".

This became more interesting when I looked up the word "flâneur" on Wikipedia, which shows that it has a wider range of meaning than just what the dictionary says.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flâneur
    All of which reminds me of SeanT. It also made me think that one would normally have to be a littérateur and probably a saloniste in order to know what a flâneur is anyway.
This discussion has been closed.