Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If winning the Euro elections had been a good general election

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If winning the Euro elections had been a good general election predictor William Hague would have become Prime Minister in 2001

This is starting to feel a bit tiresome those people taking European election voting intention polls and seeking them to apply to a general election. Sure the Tory shares down to 13% are terrible but history suggests that this is not a guide to any General Election outcome.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The Conservatives' problem is not the polling for the EU elections, or even the polling for future Westminster elections. The Conservatives' problem is that there is absolutely no way to turn that polling round that isn't going to bust the party wide apart.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

The Conservatives' problem is not the polling for the EU elections, or even the polling for future Westminster elections. The Conservatives' problem is that there is absolutely no way to turn that polling round that isn't going to bust the party wide apart.

I think they aren't thinking this through. Busting the party and re-emerging with a single will is the solution to where they are now.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > ..

Change UK affiliated with the EPP, so they see themselves as Centre Right?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Utterly irrelevant, but I do like the turquoise shade of the Brexit Party.

That doesn't make up for using the ugly portmanteau in their party name, however.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Labour has the opposite problem.

As soon as the Leave/Remain duality collapses, so does their vote.

As Harry Cole said weeks ago, either party can chase a majority, and the first to do so might win, but for both it means abandoning some of their traditional vote
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019

> @Stereotomy said:

> ..

Change UK affiliated with the EPP, so they see themselves as Centre Right?

Their only real alternative as a centrist party was linking up with the Lib Dem group.

I presume ALDE wouldn’t have them as they are too LIDL!
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    Apart from turnout, the biggest difference is the voting systems - PR for the European elections and FPTP for General Elections.

The Tories will be humiliated in both unless they ditch May, ditch her abysmal deal and get themselves a non Brexit political agenda that is relevant to lives the majority of the electorate actually lead.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > ..

So in the end someone did go "over the cliff"... And it was the Tories poll rating? :D
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    I’ve been out of the country the last few days, has anything important happened in British politics in the last 48 hours or so?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Nothing unusual.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, not really, no.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > I’ve been out of the country the last few days, has anything important happened in British politics in the last 48 hours or so?

Not much.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    edited May 2019
    Kind of interesting poll:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/02/britons-more-sold-on-immigration-benefits-than-other-europeans

But possibly misleading: When I was living in Italy plenty of people complained to me about "immigrants", but when I pointed out that I was an immigrant they all said "no, you are from the EU, I mean people coming from outside the EU".

Here in Germany, a lot of people have similar attitudes - immigrants means people from outside the EU - I don't think many British people think that way, which could explain some of this polling.
  • Options
    RobD said:

> I’ve been out of the country the last few days, has anything important happened in British politics in the last 48 hours or so?

Not much.

Phew.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Heresy!
    >
    > https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1123905976720084998

Someone has been smoking too much wacky baccy. If she survives the local and Euro elections and the party conference, she will face another VONC is December. She’ll be gone by then at the latest. Could go sooner if the DUP think there is a chance her Brexit deal might pass and decide to pull the plug in another Labour VONC. She is clearly intent on getting her deal through even if it destroys the Tory Party and leads to a Corbyn Gov. Tory Project Fear about the Corbyn threat will sound pretty hollow as May, Hammond, Lidlington, Gauke etc are clearly prepared to see it happen.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    18th.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > 18th.

Fake news!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

Not sure they care anymore. Most of them are pursuing their own persona agenda
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    > @rottenborough said:
    > The Conservatives' problem is not the polling for the EU elections, or even the polling for future Westminster elections. The Conservatives' problem is that there is absolutely no way to turn that polling round that isn't going to bust the party wide apart.
    >
    > Not sure they care anymore. Most of them are pursuing their own persona agenda

agenda? or agendas?
  • Options
    Off-topic, there are lots of posters up here in Cologne for the EU elections, and they are all pretty pro EU. the SDP is going with "Europe is the answer", the FDP candidate has "I *HEART* EU" and the Grüne and Linke also making a bid deal about how much they are into European solidarity. Haven't seen any AFD posters yet, can't remember what the CDU ones say...
  • Options
    That's what you call a United Ireland.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Yesterday must have been TSE's best day in politics for a long time.
  • Options
    Mr. Kamski, Germany being pro-EU is pretty easy to understand. They benefit from a permanently artificially weakened currency which boosts their exports, with no cost to themselves. There's also (no idea how strong this is now) been a desire to turn the page from postwar guilt.

I do think the unravelling of the EU, when it happens, is going to be quite ugly. We've seen even what happens to the body politics following a free and fair referendum from just one member state. When the whole house of cards comes crashing down, a war is eminently possible.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

I’ve been out of the country the last few days, has anything important happened in British politics in the last 48 hours or so?

Kezia Dugdale has quit as a MSP.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yesterday must have been TSE's best day in politics for a long time.

Whilst I tipped heavily laying Gavin Williamson for two years and backed a 2019 Peterborough by election my best day in recent years was the end of April 2018 when I had two 33/1 winners in the space of half a day.

(Amber Rudd as next out of the cabinet and Sajid Javid to be her replacement, but you know my legendary modesty.)
  • Options
    > https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1123967382450515976?s=21

I hadn't realised she had moved from the legislative to judicial branch.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Mr. Kamski, Germany being pro-EU is pretty easy to understand. They benefit from a permanently artificially weakened currency which boosts their exports, with no cost to themselves. There's also (no idea how strong this is now) been a desire to turn the page from postwar guilt.
    >
    > I do think the unravelling of the EU, when it happens, is going to be quite ugly. We've seen even what happens to the body politics following a free and fair referendum from just one member state. When the whole house of cards comes crashing down, a war is eminently possible.

Since this is a betting site, what odds would you attach to eminently possible?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

Mr. Kamski, Germany being pro-EU is pretty easy to understand. They benefit from a permanently artificially weakened currency which boosts their exports, with no cost to themselves. There's also (no idea how strong this is now) been a desire to turn the page from postwar guilt.

I do think the unravelling of the EU, when it happens, is going to be quite ugly. We've seen even what happens to the body politics following a free and fair referendum from just one member state. When the whole house of cards comes crashing down, a war is eminently possible.

The fastest growing economies in the EU at the moment are Eurozone members that are not Germany, whose growth is below the EU average.

Malta 🇲🇹 +5,2%
    Ireland 🇮🇪 +4,1%
    Slovakia 🇸🇰 +4,1%

What do you think "the whole house of cards crashing down" means in practice? What would people be fighting over, with what means, and with what objectives?
  • Options
    RobD said:

>

I hadn't realised she had moved from the legislative to judicial branch.
    Well she can begin the impeachment process against the Attorney General.
  • Options
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Mr. Kamski, Germany being pro-EU is pretty easy to understand. They benefit from a permanently artificially weakened currency which boosts their exports, with no cost to themselves. There's also (no idea how strong this is now) been a desire to turn the page from postwar guilt.
    >
    > I do think the unravelling of the EU, when it happens, is going to be quite ugly. We've seen even what happens to the body politics following a free and fair referendum from just one member state. When the whole house of cards comes crashing down, a war is eminently possible.

Germans have been pro-EU since before the Euro, in fact the Euro has made the EU less popular in Germany, so I disagree with your point about Germans being pro-EU because of an artificially weakened currency.
    I do think resolving contradictions at the heart of the common currency is important for the EU.

Brexit is damaging, but bigger potential problems are what happens now for example in Hungary (Italy I'm assuming will muddle through somehow).
    Of course, somewhat ironically, it was the UK that was a big advocate of (too?) quick eastward expansion of the EU
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    > @RobD said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1123967382450515976?s=21
    >
    > I hadn't realised she had moved from the legislative to judicial branch.

Theresa May setting worldwide trends.
  • Options
    "Eminently possible" = of the order 5/1.

Common knowledge in my local Corals.
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1123967382450515976?s=21
    > >
    > > I hadn't realised she had moved from the legislative to judicial branch.
    >
    > Theresa May setting worldwide trends.

I don't think May has accused anyone of a crime. In her letter she said he was being fired because of his conduct during the investigation.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1123973291058900992

Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

If the measure is whether Lord Falconer has resigned, then no.....
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, I don't think the EU will cease to be for decades.

When it does, I'd say civil disturbance is inevitable. A war perhaps something like 50/50.

Mr. Glenn, the Roman Empire was very popular in Gaul. People were also content with the Carolingian Empire.

Yet within a century or so of Charlemagne's death, his territories were divided and, in Western Francia, fragmenting to a very significant degree.

This notion that confederacies or nations just go on and on and on is complacent. It's entirely possible I'm wrong and the EU will have far greater longevity. But compare the map of Europe now to that of 1950. Or 1900. Borders can and do change. In modern terms, the EU is on a path of ever deepening integration (partly for functional and partly for ideological reasons). That puts it on a collision course with national identity and accountable democracy.

If we look 40 years to the future, questions I'd raise would be about the degree of political integration and the difficulty disentangling that, division of liabilities and assets, the role of a pan-EU army (which a few years ago Clegg described as a fantasy...), whether Turkey and/or Russia might nip in for some territorial annexation.
  • Options
    > @Chelyabinsk said:
    > https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1123973291058900992
    >
    > Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.

I suppose that's WHY the new requirements have been made!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    > @RobD said:
    > > @dixiedean said:
    > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1123967382450515976?s=21
    > > >
    > > > I hadn't realised she had moved from the legislative to judicial branch.
    > >
    > > Theresa May setting worldwide trends.
    >
    > I don't think May has accused anyone of a crime. In her letter she said he was being fired because of his conduct during the investigation.

Indeed, exactly the opposite. She has declared "the matter closed." And no need for any further investigation. Thereby indicating she has decided no crime was committed.
    Not really her call.
  • Options
    not a good guide to a GE but maybe an interesting pointer to how a second referendum might go in terms of enthusiasm and leadership on the two opposing sides?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

A Lib Dem candidate was spotted pointing at a pothole.
  • Options
    > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >
    > Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.

Don’t see anything wrong with voter ID myself. Only Corbyn and his mates could want a system that allows another Tower Hamlets.
  • Options

This notion that confederacies or nations just go on and on and on is complacent. It's entirely possible I'm wrong and the EU will have far greater longevity. But compare the map of Europe now to that of 1950. Or 1900. Borders can and do change. In modern terms, the EU is on a path of ever deepening integration (partly for functional and partly for ideological reasons). That puts it on a collision course with national identity and accountable democracy.

Is the EU on a collision course with Scottish national identity?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >

Voter ID plans are not "dangerous".

Jeremy, "dangerous" are the people you are happy to sit down with and treat as political allies.....
  • Options
    The Brexit Party & UKIP would of course claim that OGH's last paragraph is incorrect. Brussels makes all the important decisions, according to them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

> @Chelyabinsk said:

>

>

Don’t see anything wrong with voter ID myself. Only Corbyn and his mates could want a system that allows another Tower Hamlets.
    I showed my driving licence this morning. Not a problem. Interestingly they're not having voter ID for the euros.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Sir John Curtice says there could be a silver lining for Tories in the local elections
    He says absence of Nigel Farage's Brexit Party could boost Conservative hopes
    Polling expert adds the lack of UKIP candidates will also benefit Theresa May"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6983161/Tories-ESCAPE-local-election-mauling-Farages-Brexit-party-not-ballot-paper.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    > @logical_song said:
    > > @Stereotomy said:
    > > ..
    >
    > Change UK affiliated with the EPP, so they see themselves as Centre Right?

Fake news. No decision has been taken.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201
    edited May 2019
    What do people think for the local results tonight?

Tory losses? I'd guess around 700
    Labour losses? I'd guess around 200
    Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 550
    Other (Including Green) gains i'd guess around 350

Any one else?
  • Options
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > The Brexit Party & UKIP would of course claim that OGH's last paragraph is incorrect. Brussels makes all the important decisions, according to them.

Of course, there they have a point. A lot of parliaments time is spent enacting measures that emanate from Brussels. About 75% of law studied at law school these days is EU law apparently. Common Law is sadly not very common these days.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    > @Cicero said:
    > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    >
    > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    >
    > Any one else?

Labour should be making small gains.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @Cicero said:
    > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    >
    > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    >
    > Any one else?

How many results are we expecting?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited May 2019
    The problem with the point Mike makes in the header is that no one gave a toss about our relationship with the EU in 1999, turnout was 24%. I’d guess it would be close to being in the 40% range this year.

Regarding UKIP in 2014, they got 4.3m votes and retained most of them in GE2015. Getting carried away with seats not won in the GE is to gloss over the fact they got 12.6% of the vote, and about 100 2nd places, which would have been thought impossible 5 years earlier. It was also a big clue that Leave could win the referendum.
  • Options
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @Cicero said:
    > > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    > >
    > > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    > >
    > > Any one else?
    >
    > How many results are we expecting?

8.804 contests
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    > @Cicero said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > @Cicero said:
    > > > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    > > >
    > > > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > > > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > > > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > > > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    > > >
    > > > Any one else?
    > >
    > > How many results are we expecting?
    >
    > 8.804 contests

That's 700 less than 2015 - why the discrepancy?
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > "Sir John Curtice says there could be a silver lining for Tories in the local elections
    > He says absence of Nigel Farage's Brexit Party could boost Conservative hopes
    > Polling expert adds the lack of UKIP candidates will also benefit Theresa May"
    >
    > https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6983161/Tories-ESCAPE-local-election-mauling-Farages-Brexit-party-not-ballot-paper.html

Conversely, if the Tories lose 1000+ seats tonight, with no BP or UKIP candidates standing against them, they are really in trouble.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    IanB2 said:

> @logical_song said:

> > @Stereotomy said:

> > ..

>

> Change UK affiliated with the EPP, so they see themselves as Centre Right?

Fake news. No decision has been taken.

To be fair though Christian Dems are probably one of the closer groups to their likely fan base (if you can call it that).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > > @Cicero said:
    > > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > > @Cicero said:
    > > > > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    > > > >
    > > > > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > > > > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > > > > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > > > > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    > > > >
    > > > > Any one else?
    > > >
    > > > How many results are we expecting?
    > >
    > > 8.804 contests
    >
    > That's 700 less than 2015 - why the discrepancy?

Sorry I missed some words. I meant tonight (although the question of total results is also interesting)

(By interesting I mean for the sort of person who comments on PB)
  • Options
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > The Brexit Party & UKIP would of course claim that OGH's last paragraph is incorrect. Brussels makes all the important decisions, according to them.
    >
    > Of course, there they have a point. A lot of parliaments time is spent enacting measures that emanate from Brussels. About 75% of law studied at law school these days is EU law apparently. Common Law is sadly not very common these days.

"About 75% of law studied at law school these days is EU law apparently."

How about a deal.

If you can demonstrate that statement is true, I will give £1,000 to a charity of your choice.

If you cannot, then you promise to stop making shit up.
  • Options
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > > @Cicero said:
    > > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > > > @Cicero said:
    > > > > What do people think for the local results tonight?
    > > > >
    > > > > Tory losses? I'd guess around 750
    > > > > Labour losses? I'd guess around 100
    > > > > Lib Dem gains I'd guess around 650
    > > > > Other gains i'd guess around 200
    > > > >
    > > > > Any one else?
    > > >
    > > > How many results are we expecting?
    > >
    > > 8.804 contests
    >
    > That's 700 less than 2015 - why the discrepancy?

One reason is that several authorities have merged
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @kinabalu said:
    > > 18th.
    >
    > Fake news!

:-)

But with no intention to mislead. An honest mistake.

On topic. Gavin Williamson has not, based on what we know, broken the law and there will quite rightly be no court case. He was not sacked for betraying state secrets. He was sacked for behaving like Gavin Williamson.

As it happens, I am not especially outraged by this 'scandal'. What he leaked (if it really was him and not Jeremy Hunt) was tittle-tattle designed to make him look patriotic and robust, i.e. to appear to be what in his eyes he is.

He must be a shocked and angry man right now.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    rcs1000 said:

That's 700 less than 2015 - why the discrepancy?

Districts in Northamptonshire and Bucks don't have their scheduled elections this year because they're going unitary and the elections have been postponed to 2020.

There are new unitaries in Somerset and Suffolk too - not sure how that's affected the tally.
  • Options
    From Vanilla, for all those interested:

<i>Hey Robert,

Our devs have figured out what caused the problem and are in the process of creating/applying a fix. I'll reach out to our support dev team today and see if I can get a more specific ETA.

Thank you for your patience.
    </i>
  • Options

But nobody in Europe wants the EU to collapse. Even in the UK opinion is flowing in the EU's direction.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

From Vanilla, for all those interested:

Hey Robert,

Our devs have figured out what caused the problem and are in the process of creating/applying a fix. I'll reach out to our support dev team today and see if I can get a more specific ETA.

Thank you for your patience.

Have you heard Vanilla are renaming themselves to ‘Hawaiian Pizza’, which seems very apt how unappealing it is.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1123973291058900992
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.
    >
    >
    >
    > Don’t see anything wrong with voter ID myself. Only Corbyn and his mates could want a system that allows another Tower Hamlets.
    >
    > I showed my driving licence this morning. Not a problem. Interestingly they're not having voter ID for the euros.

I went to vote today without my polling card. I offered them ID and was told it was not needed. I live in a very safe Labour ward, so it is unlikley to be a competitive ward. I voted LD as a protest against Brexit. I know of two others who usually vote Tory who did the same as i did. Hopefully others i know who usually vote Tory will do likewise as i feel remain inclined Tories have been taken for granteed!
  • Options
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Mr. Divvie, I don't think the EU will cease to be for decades.
    >
    > When it does, I'd say civil disturbance is inevitable. A war perhaps something like 50/50.
    >
    > Mr. Glenn, the Roman Empire was very popular in Gaul. People were also content with the Carolingian Empire.
    >
    > Yet within a century or so of Charlemagne's death, his territories were divided and, in Western Francia, fragmenting to a very significant degree.
    >
    > This notion that confederacies or nations just go on and on and on is complacent. It's entirely possible I'm wrong and the EU will have far greater longevity. But compare the map of Europe now to that of 1950. Or 1900. Borders can and do change. In modern terms, the EU is on a path of ever deepening integration (partly for functional and partly for ideological reasons). That puts it on a collision course with national identity and accountable democracy.
    >
    > If we look 40 years to the future, questions I'd raise would be about the degree of political integration and the difficulty disentangling that, division of liabilities and assets, the role of a pan-EU army (which a few years ago Clegg described as a fantasy...), whether Turkey and/or Russia might nip in for some territorial annexation.

I think that is an excellent analysis. But it's also worth noting that many states - even moderately successful ones - cannot be reasonably described as nation states.

The UK - with the its separatist Scots, funny speaking Welsh, and rebellious Northern Irish - might fall into that category. You could make a similar (albeit different cases) about France, Spain, Canada. Switzerland and Belgium fail most of the tests for being Nation States, but both have lasted quite a long time, and show no sign of breaking up.

There's probably a two-thirds chance that the EU ceases to continue in its current fashion in some way in the next 50 years. But how it breaks up is another matter: will it end up with a dozen states with little in common? Will it return to a common market type system? Or will a core become something looking rather more like an actual country?

Who knows? And some of the threats to it, might also drive integration. Necessity is usually the mother of integration - Scotland joined the UK because it was frankly bust and needed bailing out - perhaps an external threat will force the EU together. Or perhaps money for politicians from Russia combined with external force will fissure it?

As I said, who knows?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Regarding Gavin Williamson I did say you cannot trust an adulterer in senior positions, if they can betray their spouses then they can betray their country.

This should rule serial adulterer Boris Johnson out as PM.
  • Options

> @Chelyabinsk said:

>

>

You respond to a story demonstrating exactly what is wrong with voter ID by saying you don't see anything wrong with it. What is wrong with it is that it prevents people who might have otherwise voted from voting. How much more wrong can it be than that?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    About to go and try to vote. I received a letter from Bradford council to say that I would be added to the electoral register on 1st May. Let's hope I'm on the list. I'm going to take the letter with me - I don't have a poll card.

Update later...
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    >
    >
    > But nobody in Europe wants the EU to collapse. Even in the UK opinion is flowing in the EU's direction.

Well, that's not true. Vladimir Putin would much rather have a collection of small quarelling countries on Russia's doorstep, and he's spending money to try and encourage that.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Tories only 3 points ahead of the LDs in the latest Euro poll.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1123945950903459840?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&amp;ref_url=http://vote-2012.proboards.com/posts/recent

Only 21% of people who voted Conservative at GE 2017 say that they will vote Con in the Euro elections. Likewise only 32% of Lab voters at GE 2017 would vote Lab in the Euro elections.

The silver lining for the Conservatives is that even though the headline figures for voting at a GE have yet to be published, they can be implied from the reweighted totals at the top of the columns. GE voting is level pegging in the weighted sample at 311 Con against 309 Lab and 137 LD - the first time for a while that Lab has not been ahead. So maybe there is a germ of truth in the thread header.
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1b70ce1trk/TheTimes_190430_EuropeVI_Trackers_w.pdf
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

> @Recidivist said:

>

>

> But nobody in Europe wants the EU to collapse. Even in the UK opinion is flowing in the EU's direction.

Well, that's not true. Vladimir Putin would much rather have a collection of small quarelling countries on Russia's doorstep, and he's spending money to try and encourage that.

Yes, good point. Nobody in the EU itself wants it to collapse.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I hope your invoice is in the post.
  • Options
    Kind of you to say so, Mr. 1000.

As an aside, Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome deals with (amongst other things) the fall of the Western Empire and the rise, and then fall, of the Carolingian Empire. It's really rather good.

Just started tipping it down here.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.
    >
    >
    >
    > Don’t see anything wrong with voter ID myself. Only Corbyn and his mates could want a system that allows another Tower Hamlets.
    >
    > You respond to a story demonstrating exactly what is wrong with voter ID by saying you don't see anything wrong with it. What is wrong with it is that it prevents people who might have otherwise voted from voting. How much more wrong can it be than that?

How hard is it to take ID into a voting station ? People who are that keen to vote will go back with ID. I would have thought anyone with a genuine interest in democracy would want to prevent vote rigging such as occurred in Tower Hamlets.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    Hopefully off later to extend the Greens' 20 year dominance in my ward, built on helping out locals. My interaction with them got action inside 2 days, and so a certain loyalty was established irrespective of Corbyn becoming Labour leader.

Mixed feelings about the Euros, the senior ward councillor is first listed for Green on the regional ballot. Does further breaking up the band make up for the possibility of that most vicarious of PB thrills, a by-election in your ward.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Kezia Dugdale has quit as a MSP.
    LoL , who would notice she has done nothing since Celebrity. Got herself a cushy six figure number in a unionist propaganda unit at Glasgow University.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Kind of you to say so, Mr. 1000.

As an aside, Chris Wickham's The Inheritance of Rome deals with (amongst other things) the fall of the Western Empire and the rise, and then fall, of the Carolingian Empire. It's really rather good.

Just started tipping it down here.

Brilliant sunshine here.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You respond to a story demonstrating exactly what is wrong with voter ID by saying you don't see anything wrong with it. What is wrong with it is that it prevents people who might have otherwise voted from voting. How much more wrong can it be than that?

Nonsense.. What Corbyn is on about is that it prevents people who are living in the black economy from voting. if so, its a good thing. No representation without taxation!! If you haven't got ID in this day and age, you do not deserve to vote.
    It will affect Labour voters disproportionately, but that's because....
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @Chelyabinsk said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

There is nothing wrong with voter ID, it is designed to stop voting fraud, and only an old fraud like Mr. Thicky could be against it. It is sad if an old lady is turned away, but that is not a reason to continue with a fundamentally flawed system.

If you want to vote, show your ID. Even a thick moron like Corbyn should be able to understand that simple message. How much simpler do you want it?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291

Impressive for her to have voted in every election since she was 18, when the age limit should have been 21.
    But this video celebrates the fact that no ID is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi5j7jjhm4M
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Interesting that "not very important" is the highest for remainers. Not sure what I'd say to that question. Certainly not "very important", but then how do you define "truly" British?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. There is no evidence at all that not asking for voter ID is imperilling the integrity of the electoral system. There is plenty of evidence that voter ID prevents some people voting.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    > @AmpfieldAndy said:
    > > @OldKingCole said:
    > > The Brexit Party & UKIP would of course claim that OGH's last paragraph is incorrect. Brussels makes all the important decisions, according to them.
    >
    > Of course, there they have a point. A lot of parliaments time is spent enacting measures that emanate from Brussels. About 75% of law studied at law school these days is EU law apparently. Common Law is sadly not very common these days.

Only 12% of our law originates from the EU, and most of that is to do with trade. Even if we are out we are likely to be aligned with most of those laws so we can continue to sell widgets to a CE mark compliance standard. "The EU makes all our laws" rant is one of the biggest lies or misunderstandings told by advocates of Leave
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

It says 21.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    What the hell is going on with the curve on that not-bar chart?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Various parts of my Twitter over the last month or so have being getting worked up over the Dems not moving immediately to impeaching Trump. They completly miss the value the Dems are going to get from going over everything - Barr clearly lied, they are going to impeach Barr, they are going to impeach every single memeber of the administration who throws thmeselves in front of the impeachment train. If the GOP is willing to lay down it's life to save Trump then the Dems are going to say thank you are steamroll them one flunky at a time.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2019
    (Already posted)
  • Options

It says 21.
    They've corrected it. Earlier it said she'd voted for nearly 70 years.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > https://twitter.com/D_Shariatmadari/status/1123951287622676486

The next head of state isn't truly British apparently... :lol:
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    > https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1123971032845561857?s=21

Brexiteers talking utter bollocks shock.
This discussion has been closed.