Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The locals – how the forecasters did

124»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > UKIP are now largely a Tommy Robinson outfit, the Brexit Party leads most of the latest European elections polls and did not stand in the locals
    > > >
    > > > Are the Brexit Party the moderates?
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124692973634105350
    > >
    > > Rough stuff. But even nominally sensible people have referred to the prospect of the parties agreeing a deal as being grubby, agreed in back rooms, and compromises as inherently a bad thing, which I find very dicouraging. There may be specifics to any compromise, were one agreed, which would rightly be criticised, but when actually moderate people are condemning even the idea of the parties agreeing something - which is what the idea was 2+ years ago in that parliament would agree something - it is deeply depressing, since it means they people are once again showing that any talk about how we want politicians to work together is absolutely nonsense - the public does not want that, they want their team to win.
    >
    > You mean they want the other side to lose.

There's a lovely double standard about too - Corbyn should agree to a people's vote because his members are in favour, but May should act in the national interest ahead of party concerns...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > >
    > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > >
    > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    >
    > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election

Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,233

> @HYUFD said:

>

> Only if the Brexit Party overtook them

Were the Tories not finished for a generation in 1997?

It was a Scottish generation.
  • Options
    This snooker match is tighter than an alcoholic after happy hour.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    > @kinabalu said:
    > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.

But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @brendan16 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > >
    > >
    > > May and Corbyn may agree it but does it follow their parties will follow - and what about the confirmatory public vote.
    >
    > The question the majority of Lab MPs will ask. Because they do not want a deal of any kind.
    >
    > That the only Brexit on offer is a Labour Brexit was pointed out by BigJohn months ago. Tories can cry about that as much as they like, and may well believe remain is better than that, but it is a lot more likely than no deal or Mays' deal.
    >
    > And frankly while I do not know if a CU is as bad as people say it is, a Brexit deal that is backed by significant numbers of Lab and Tory MPs seems to be a reasonable thing to my mind, showing that on this divisive issue which should cross parties, there has been cross party work, eventually.
    >
    > But like you I don't see how they can get their parties to follow in enough numbers, which itself removes reason to agree one.

May and Corbyn are following Parliament's lead, Deal plus Customs Union has been closer to a majority of MPs than May's Deal as is, No Deal, Deal plus Single Market and Customs Union, Revoke and EUref2.

The only Brexit option that has actually got a majority is May's Deal minus the backstop in the form of the Brady amendment but that is still a unicorn option unless the EU agree to replace it with a technical solution
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,210
    > @ydoethur said:
    > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.
    >
    > There would however be a delicious irony if Corbyn, elected so the left could feel good about themselves, became the first Labour leader to do a peacetime deal with the Tories since Ramsay Macdonald in 1931.
    >
    > And Gilbert levels.

Like to see Gilbert make the final.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Like to see Gilbert make the final.

I would too. It would also however be nice to see O'Sullivan's five titles equalled by Higgins.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > UKIP are now largely a Tommy Robinson outfit, the Brexit Party leads most of the latest European elections polls and did not stand in the locals
    > > > >
    > > > > Are the Brexit Party the moderates?
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124692973634105350
    > > >
    > > > Rough stuff. But even nominally sensible people have referred to the prospect of the parties agreeing a deal as being grubby, agreed in back rooms, and compromises as inherently a bad thing, which I find very dicouraging. There may be specifics to any compromise, were one agreed, which would rightly be criticised, but when actually moderate people are condemning even the idea of the parties agreeing something - which is what the idea was 2+ years ago in that parliament would agree something - it is deeply depressing, since it means they people are once again showing that any talk about how we want politicians to work together is absolutely nonsense - the public does not want that, they want their team to win.
    > >
    > > You mean they want the other side to lose.
    >
    > There's a lovely double standard about too - Corbyn should agree to a people's vote because his members are in favour, but May should act in the national interest ahead of party concerns...

The national interest means constructing a way forward that will get through Parliament. A permanent customs union Brexit might do that but I am sceptical, to say the least.

If the only way forward is to ask the public again, then that is the national interest.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945
    > @rural_voter said:
    > > @kinabalu said:
    > > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.
    >
    > But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.

That makes the extremely dubious assumption that all those who voted Remain would be happy with the consequences of overturning a democratic vote. A very dangerous assumption I would suggest.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    > @NorthofStoke said:
    > I'm afraid that I believe the LP "permanent CU" is the worst outcome. For me in descending order it is remain, May's deal, hard Brexit, permanent CU.

May's Deal is hard Brexit.

The terminology has changed since 2016.
  • Options
    That was unlucky. He deserved to finish behind the brown.

But at least he now has a choice of easy reds!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @rural_voter said:
    > > > @kinabalu said:
    > > > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.
    > >
    > > But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.
    >
    > That makes the extremely dubious assumption that all those who voted Remain would be happy with the consequences of overturning a democratic vote. A very dangerous assumption I would suggest.

Only a democratic vote if the rules were obeyed. They weren't and, of course, Moscow was playing a big role.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > > UKIP are now largely a Tommy Robinson outfit, the Brexit Party leads most of the latest European elections polls and did not stand in the locals
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Are the Brexit Party the moderates?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124692973634105350
    > > > >
    > > > > Rough stuff. But even nominally sensible people have referred to the prospect of the parties agreeing a deal as being grubby, agreed in back rooms, and compromises as inherently a bad thing, which I find very dicouraging. There may be specifics to any compromise, were one agreed, which would rightly be criticised, but when actually moderate people are condemning even the idea of the parties agreeing something - which is what the idea was 2+ years ago in that parliament would agree something - it is deeply depressing, since it means they people are once again showing that any talk about how we want politicians to work together is absolutely nonsense - the public does not want that, they want their team to win.
    > > >
    > > > You mean they want the other side to lose.
    > >
    > > There's a lovely double standard about too - Corbyn should agree to a people's vote because his members are in favour, but May should act in the national interest ahead of party concerns...
    >
    > The national interest means constructing a way forward that will get through Parliament. A permanent customs union Brexit might do that but I am sceptical, to say the least.
    >
    > If the only way forward is to ask the public again, then that is the national interest.

What merit the referendum then?

Was it just a waste of time?
  • Options
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > >
    > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > >
    > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > >
    > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    >
    > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down

The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Trying to get a May/Corbyn deal through parliament is surely when the long awaited split(s) finally happens.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    > @Omnium said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > > > UKIP are now largely a Tommy Robinson outfit, the Brexit Party leads most of the latest European elections polls and did not stand in the locals
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Are the Brexit Party the moderates?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124692973634105350
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Rough stuff. But even nominally sensible people have referred to the prospect of the parties agreeing a deal as being grubby, agreed in back rooms, and compromises as inherently a bad thing, which I find very dicouraging. There may be specifics to any compromise, were one agreed, which would rightly be criticised, but when actually moderate people are condemning even the idea of the parties agreeing something - which is what the idea was 2+ years ago in that parliament would agree something - it is deeply depressing, since it means they people are once again showing that any talk about how we want politicians to work together is absolutely nonsense - the public does not want that, they want their team to win.
    > > > >
    > > > > You mean they want the other side to lose.
    > > >
    > > > There's a lovely double standard about too - Corbyn should agree to a people's vote because his members are in favour, but May should act in the national interest ahead of party concerns...
    > >
    > > The national interest means constructing a way forward that will get through Parliament. A permanent customs union Brexit might do that but I am sceptical, to say the least.
    > >
    > > If the only way forward is to ask the public again, then that is the national interest.
    >
    > What merit the referendum then?
    >
    > Was it just a waste of time?

It turns out that if a narrow majority decide that we should all go on holiday but don’t agree among themselves whether that should be Benidorm, Mauritius or the trans-Siberian railway, we might all need a fundamental rethink.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role

Unfair. Salmond won elections.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @rural_voter said:
    > > > > @kinabalu said:
    > > > > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.
    > > >
    > > > But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.
    > >
    > > That makes the extremely dubious assumption that all those who voted Remain would be happy with the consequences of overturning a democratic vote. A very dangerous assumption I would suggest.
    >
    > Only a democratic vote if the rules were obeyed. They weren't and, of course, Moscow was playing a big role.

Can you actually give one example of Moscow influencing a single vote?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > >
    > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > >
    > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > >
    > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > >
    > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    >
    > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role

In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    > @IanB2 said:
    > Trying to get a May/Corbyn deal through parliament is surely when the long awaited split(s) finally happens.

Which is the main reason I don't think it will get that far. Neither wants to see a split happen, and will delay as long as possible.
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > >
    > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > >
    > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > >
    > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > >
    > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    >
    > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit

Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    >
    > Unfair. Salmond won elections.

So did Farage e.g. in 2014
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > >
    > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > >
    > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > >
    > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    >
    > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections

The whole point of this thread's header is that the opinion polls don't always get it right!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > >
    > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > >
    > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > >
    > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    >
    > The whole point of this thread's header is that the opinion polls don't always get it right!

The predictions which were most out were based on local council by elections not opinion polls (ones based on the polls were more accurate at least in terms of Tory losses) and the last European Parliament elections polls were pretty accurate
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    > @OldKingCole said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > >
    > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > >
    > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > >
    > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    >
    > The whole point of this thread's header is that the opinion polls don't always get it right!

+1

Also noteworthy that this is another significant misappreciation of the Labour vote, this time in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > >
    > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > >
    > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > >
    > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    >
    > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections

And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
  • Options
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @rural_voter said:
    > > > > @kinabalu said:
    > > > > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.
    > > >
    > > > But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.
    > >
    > > That makes the extremely dubious assumption that all those who voted Remain would be happy with the consequences of overturning a democratic vote. A very dangerous assumption I would suggest.
    >
    > Only a democratic vote if the rules were obeyed. They weren't and, of course, Moscow was playing a big role.

Well we know that the Treasury pedaled lies on behalf of Remain:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/524967/hm_treasury_analysis_the_immediate_economic_impact_of_leaving_the_eu_web.pdf4

but I didn't know that Moscow was helping them as well.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > >
    > > Unfair. Salmond won elections.
    >
    > So did Farage e.g. in 2014

Boris is going to be upset as you change your hero worship to Farage
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    > > >
    > > > Unfair. Salmond won elections.
    > >
    > > So did Farage e.g. in 2014
    >
    > Boris is going to be upset as you change your hero worship to Farage

No I would still prefer Boris to Farage but until Boris becomes Tory leader it will be Farage making waves with Brexiteers
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >
    > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit

I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.

I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @ydoethur said:
    > > > >
    > > > > Unfair. Salmond won elections.
    > > >
    > > > So did Farage e.g. in 2014
    > >
    > > Boris is going to be upset as you change your hero worship to Farage
    >
    > No I would still prefer Boris to Farage but until Boris becomes Tory leader it will be Farage making waves with Brexiteers

As he drives many into the arms of the remain parties
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > >
    > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > >
    > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > >
    > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    >
    > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    >
    > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second

No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @ydoethur said:

>

> Unfair. Salmond won elections.

So did Farage e.g. in 2014

He put in a slightly better performance than his rivals. Salmond won an overall majority in a system deliberately designed to make such a feat impossible.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @ydoethur said:
    > > > >
    > > > > Unfair. Salmond won elections.
    > > >
    > > > So did Farage e.g. in 2014
    > >
    > > Boris is going to be upset as you change your hero worship to Farage
    >
    > No I would still prefer Boris to Farage but until Boris becomes Tory leader it will be Farage making waves with Brexiteers

I thought it was the Moggette who was stiffening the resolve of the No Deal Brexiteers.
  • Options
    thecommissionerthecommissioner Posts: 165
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761

I can't say I'm surprised.

Neither party can hope to govern independently whilst leave or remain is live. They have to kill the issue. If they do it now, they have three years to try and bury the subject.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > He put in a slightly better performance than his rivals. Salmond won an overall majority in a system deliberately designed to make such a feat impossible.

Though still under 50%.

Farage also achieved his main aim of winning a referendum to Leave the EU in 2016 while Salmond failed to achieve his main aim of winning a referendum for Scottish independence in 2014.

It is only the fact that result has not been implemented yet that is boosting Farage
  • Options
    As a matter of interest how much media coverage is permitted for each party for the EU elections
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,849
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > > >
    > > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > > >
    > > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    > >
    > > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    > >
    > > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
    >
    > No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist

Polls can be out, but not so far out as that. The Lib Dems won't be coming first on May 23rd.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @ydoethur said:

> > @ydoethur said:

>

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> He put in a slightly better performance than his rivals. Salmond won an overall majority in a system deliberately designed to make such a feat impossible.

Though still under 50%.

Farage also achieved his main aim of winning a referendum to Leave the EU in 2016 while Salmond failed to achieve his main aim of winning a referendum for Scottish independence in 2014.

It is only the fact that result has not been implemented yet that is boosting Farage

An overall majority is actually over 50%. That's why it's called a majority.

And if Farage had fronted Leave, Leave would have lost. He is to Euroscepticism what Juncker is to EU federalism. That's why he was not allowed to take any significant part.
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > > >
    > > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > > >
    > > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    > >
    > > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    > >
    > > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
    >
    > No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist

Better prepare yourself for the European elections then if the Brexit Party win them, that is an awful lot of 'extremist' voters (and personally I will still vote Tory not Brexit Party)
  • Options
    Fucking hell, that was an epically bad shot from Gilbert. Nerves?
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > > > >
    > > > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    > > >
    > > > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    > > >
    > > > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
    > >
    > > No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist
    >
    > Polls can be out, but not so far out as that. The Lib Dems won't be coming first on May 23rd.

I concede it is unlikely but if the 6 million who signed the revoke petition all voted lib dems it would be a huge boost
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The referee has just disturbed a red. Never seen that before.

Edit - and even worse, Virgo took the opportunity to spout crap for another five minutes.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809

Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.

What then ?

Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > > > >
    > > > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    > > >
    > > > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    > > >
    > > > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
    > >
    > > No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist
    >
    > Better prepare yourself for the European elections then if the Brexit Party win them, that is an awful lot of 'extremist' voters (and personally I will still vote Tory not Brexit Party)

Pleased to hear you are still voting for the party
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    Saying anyone needs to act in The National Interest is a flimsy charge to make. The Labour party believes that a labour government is in the national interest, The Monster Raving Loony Party thinks that a Monster Raving Loony government is in the national interest and so on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    This is a good question. I suspect the answer is no there are no rules:

https://twitter.com/creativeblock_/status/1124712503592849408
  • Options
    I said this would go the distance. And it has!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    > @thecommissioner said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    >
    > I can't say I'm surprised.
    >
    > Neither party can hope to govern independently whilst leave or remain is live. They have to kill the issue. If they do it now, they have three years to try and bury the subject.

You'd hope so, but of course things are so fractious and chaotic it probably would not be three years, hence why they cannot afford to give in to kill it, in case they also have to face the electorate before then. Better, for them, to hope the other side is hit worse.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Saying anyone needs to act in The National Interest is a flimsy charge to make. The Labour party believes that a labour government is in the national interest, The Monster Raving Loony Party thinks that a Monster Raving Loony government is in the national interest and so on.

When it comes to Brexit, remaining is in the national economic interest, but doing it would cause considerable damage to our social and political systems that might outweigh it.

So where does the national interest lie?
  • Options

> @rottenborough said:

>

Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.

What then ?

Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    That was some clearance by John Higgins. Heck, even Mrs Gilbert is applauding!

Edit - HD you can see Gilbert was shaking before he started doing yoga.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    > @ydoethur said:
    > I said this would go the distance. And it has!

Decider at the Crucible. Always drama.
  • Options
    Seems people are getting addressed election leaflets from Brexit Party.

I assume this is too early to be the traditional one delivered for free by the Royal Mail that all parties get.

So how are they paying for this?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

> @ydoethur said:

> I said this would go the distance. And it has!

Decider at the Crucible. Always drama.

The finest ever semi was surely O'Sullivan v. Hendry 1999.

But this has been a worthy competitor.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    >
    >
    >
    > What then ?
    >
    >
    >
    > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    >
    > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.

Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.

Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > @rottenborough said:
    > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > What then ?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > >
    > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    >
    > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    >
    > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,

In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,849
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Seems people are getting addressed election leaflets from Brexit Party.
    >
    > I assume this is too early to be the traditional one delivered for free by the Royal Mail that all parties get.
    >
    > So how are they paying for this?

Israel.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Seems people are getting addressed election leaflets from Brexit Party.
    >
    > I assume this is too early to be the traditional one delivered for free by the Royal Mail that all parties get.
    >
    > So how are they paying for this?

I think it is the official one, Fox jr got one from the LDs today addressed to him. Interestingly not Mrs Foxy or myself, so I think it is one specifically targetting newly registered voters.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    >
    >
    >
    > What then ?
    >
    >
    >
    > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    >
    > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.

The SNP also contains libertarians and socialists, what unites them is Scottish independence, just as what unites the Brexit Party is leaving the EU.

Once the main goal is achieved the need for the party is largely gone anyway
  • Options
    I am hoping that newspaper editorial budgets are not so tight these days that they don't invest some time finding out where Nigel's money is coming from.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > What then ?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > >
    > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > >
    > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > >
    > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    >
    > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse

No they wouldn't.
  • Options
    He's missed a black off the spot...

Oh dear...
  • Options
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > > @rottenborough said:
    > > > > > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1124675650709749761
    > > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > > While keeping us stuck in the EU will see Labour Leave seats shift to the Brexit Party
    > > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > > If TM deal does not pass the most likely outcome is opinion shifts to a referendum that finishes brexit for a generation
    > > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > > Remain would probably win a referendum v No Deal Brexit about 55% to 45% but as the SNP showed 45% is enough to win a landslide under FPTP for the Brexit Party at the next general election
    > > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > Brexit Party landslide. Now you really are away with the fairies. You need to calm down
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > The scenes from that Brexit Party rally remind me of SNP rallies 4 or 5 years ago with Farage taking the Salmond role
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > In front of a few hundred ultras as the country moves towards the lib dems, greens, and change UK with equal fervour to stop brexit
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Just wait until the European elections when almost all the polls have the Brexit Party coming first, they did not stand in the local elections
    > > > > >
    > > > > > And you think that will propel Farage into no 10. You need to get perspective. I would expect remain parties to win the overall share with the lib dems even outvoting Brexit Party. The trend is to no brexit
    > > > >
    > > > > I would remind you Unionist parties still won 50% of the vote in Scotland even at GE 2015, it did not stop an SNP landslide under FPTP.
    > > > >
    > > > > I also cannot see the LDs beating the Brexit Party, at most they will get second
    > > >
    > > > No point in trying to be rational with a Farage/ Brexit Party extremist
    > >
    > > Better prepare yourself for the European elections then if the Brexit Party win them, that is an awful lot of 'extremist' voters (and personally I will still vote Tory not Brexit Party)
    >
    > Pleased to hear you are still voting for the party

I will be but most of my local party's membership will be voting Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > > > @ydoethur said:
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Unfair. Salmond won elections.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > So did Farage e.g. in 2014
    >
    > >
    >
    > > He put in a slightly better performance than his rivals. Salmond won an overall majority in a system deliberately designed to make such a feat impossible.
    >
    >
    >
    > Though still under 50%.
    >
    >
    >
    > Farage also achieved his main aim of winning a referendum to Leave the EU in 2016 while Salmond failed to achieve his main aim of winning a referendum for Scottish independence in 2014.
    >
    >
    >
    > It is only the fact that result has not been implemented yet that is boosting Farage
    >
    > An overall majority is actually over 50%. That's why it's called a majority.
    >
    > And if Farage had fronted Leave, Leave would have lost. He is to Euroscepticism what Juncker is to EU federalism. That's why he was not allowed to take any significant part.

Of seats, not of votes.

If it was not for Farage and UKIP Cameron would never even have proposed an EU referendum in the first place
  • Options
    Blimey, Higgins must have balls of pure steel to not only take that on but pot it.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > What then ?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > >
    > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > >
    > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > >
    > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > >
    > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    >
    > No they wouldn't.

There is a strong chance they would and diehard Remainers like you complacently dismiss it at your peril
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > What then ?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > >
    > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > >
    > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > >
    > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > >
    > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    >
    > No they wouldn't.

The UKIP - now B****t - vote distribution is inefficient under FPTP. Labour's is so favourable that they could apparently win 300 seats on barely 30%.

BTW, while the quote button is broken, lines above new posts help a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    HYUFD said:

Of seats, not of votes.

If it was not for Farage and UKIP Cameron would never even have proposed an EU referendum in the first place

No party or electoral alliance since 1935 (excepting the Coalition, formed afterwards) has won a majority of votes in any UK election.

As for the rest, are you David Cameron that you know his thoughts?
  • Options
    > @rural_voter said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > >
    > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > >
    > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > >
    > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > >
    > > No they wouldn't.
    >
    > ________________
    >
    > The UKIP - now B****t - vote distribution is inefficient under FPTP. Labour's is so favourable that they could apparently win 300 seats on barely 30%.
    >
    > BTW, while the quote button is broken, lines above new posts help a bit.

Actually type in European Parliament predictions of 27% Brexit Party, 22% Labour and 13% Tory from Yougov into Electoral Calculus and the Brexit Party gets 344 seats and an overall majority

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=13&LAB=22&LIB=7&UKIP=2&Green=2&ChUK=0&Brexit=27&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Of seats, not of votes.
    >
    > If it was not for Farage and UKIP Cameron would never even have proposed an EU referendum in the first place
    >
    > No party or electoral alliance since 1935 (excepting the Coalition, formed afterwards) has won a majority of votes in any UK election.
    >
    > As for the rest, are you David Cameron that you know his thoughts?

I do know had UKIP been polling 1% rather than 15% in 2013 Cameron would not have proposed a referendum
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I do know had UKIP been polling 1% rather than 15% in 2013 Cameron would not have proposed a referendum

Really? I would remind you that Cameron in 2005 had posed as the Eurosceptic candidate, and he also put forward a referendum on Lisbon.
  • Options
    > @ydoethur said:
    > I do know had UKIP been polling 1% rather than 15% in 2013 Cameron would not have proposed a referendum
    >
    > Really? I would remind you that Cameron in 2005 had posed as the Eurosceptic candidate, and he also put forward a referendum on Lisbon.

Yes really, a referendum on Lisbon is not the same as a referendum on leaving the whole EU.

Indeed most EU countries hold referendums on major EU Treaty changes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @ydoethur said:

> I do know had UKIP been polling 1% rather than 15% in 2013 Cameron would not have proposed a referendum

>

> Really? I would remind you that Cameron in 2005 had posed as the Eurosceptic candidate, and he also put forward a referendum on Lisbon.

Yes really, a referendum on Lisbon is not the same as a referendum on leaving the whole EU.

Indeed most EU countries hold referendums on major EU Treaty changes

You'll be telling me next there's a ferry from Ullapool to Inverness...
  • Options
    This is extraordinary. Higgins misses, Gilbert flukes a snooker...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Higgins in the final for the third year running. He's lost to Selby and Williams in the last two years.

If Trump wins tonight, it's a repeat of 2011.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > >
    > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > >
    > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > >
    > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > >
    > > No they wouldn't.
    >
    > There is a strong chance they would and diehard Remainers like you complacently dismiss it at your peril

_________

They wouldn't, not least because any series of events leading to parliament to revoke A50 would have to be so significant that only something catastrophic would cause it.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > > >
    > > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > > >
    > > > No they wouldn't.
    > >
    > > There is a strong chance they would and diehard Remainers like you complacently dismiss it at your peril
    >
    > _________
    >
    > They wouldn't, not least because any series of events leading to parliament to revoke A50 would have to be so significant that only something catastrophic would cause it.

Like the alternative of No Deal if Macron vetoes further extension of Art 50 in October.

However the 40 to 45% who back No Deal Brexit in the polls would be enough to give a big Brexit Party majority under FPTP
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @rural_voter said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > > >
    > > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > > >
    > > > No they wouldn't.
    > >
    > > ________________
    > >
    > > The UKIP - now B****t - vote distribution is inefficient under FPTP. Labour's is so favourable that they could apparently win 300 seats on barely 30%.
    > >
    > > BTW, while the quote button is broken, lines above new posts help a bit.
    >
    > Actually type in European Parliament predictions of 27% Brexit Party, 22% Labour and 13% Tory from Yougov into Electoral Calculus and the Brexit Party gets 344 seats and an overall majority
    >
    > https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=13&LAB=22&LIB=7&UKIP=2&Green=2&ChUK=0&Brexit=27&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVBrexit=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

Those are EU parliamentary election polls. GE polling which normally gives figures of ~30% Labour, 25% Tory or higher.

We could have a GE this summer or autumn if Mrs May will call one and see how low the Tory vote goes under FPTP for elections that people consider to 'matter'. I doubt she will though.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > > > >
    > > > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > > > >
    > > > > No they wouldn't.
    > > >
    > > > There is a strong chance they would and diehard Remainers like you complacently dismiss it at your peril
    > >
    > > _________
    > >
    > > They wouldn't, not least because any series of events leading to parliament to revoke A50 would have to be so significant that only something catastrophic would cause it.
    >
    > Like the alternative of No Deal if Macron vetoes further extension of Art 50 in October.
    >
    > However the 40 to 45% who back No Deal Brexit in the polls would be enough to give a big Brexit Party majority under FPTP

You make the same error that May did 2 years ago. Any GE would not be just about Brexit. Indeed with current Brexit frustration it would (like 2017) be the party that talks least of Brexit on either side that would prosper.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1124707462152695809
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Lets say that there were 330 Farage MPs after the next GE.
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > What then ?
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > Endless amounts of posturing and bickering but how much would they achieve ?
    > > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > > I expect the BP block would rapidly split into factions, because you can bet your bottom dollar they don't all see everyday policy like schools and welfare the same way as each other.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Apart from backing No Deal Brexit immediately (and I am not sure that they completely agree on that!) they agree on nothing else.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Even in an #A50revoke scenario they would not win more than a few seats in FPTP elections,
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > In an A50 revoke scenario with no referendum Farage could win a landslide at the next general election under FPTP as Leavers would vote BP en masse
    > > > > >
    > > > > > No they wouldn't.
    > > > >
    > > > > There is a strong chance they would and diehard Remainers like you complacently dismiss it at your peril
    > > >
    > > > _________
    > > >
    > > > They wouldn't, not least because any series of events leading to parliament to revoke A50 would have to be so significant that only something catastrophic would cause it.
    > >
    > > Like the alternative of No Deal if Macron vetoes further extension of Art 50 in October.
    > >
    > > However the 40 to 45% who back No Deal Brexit in the polls would be enough to give a big Brexit Party majority under FPTP
    >
    > _____________
    >
    > You make the same error that May did 2 years ago. Any GE would not be just about Brexit. Indeed with current Brexit frustration it would (like 2017) be the party that talks least of Brexit on either side that would prosper.
    >
    >

Nope, if we are still in the EU by the next general election it will be nothing but Brexit. Leavers will be furious and determined to exact revenge.

Other issues came to the fore in 2017 only as Labour and the Tories promised to deliver Brexit, they have not done so
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,297

> @Richard_Tyndall said:

> > @rural_voter said:

> > > @kinabalu said:

> > > I'll be quite surprised if Labour do a deal with May. I would have thought that they would prefer the next GE to take place against the backdrop of the Tories having failed to deliver a Brexit of any description.

> >

> > But 48% of voters maybe now 55% will be crying tears of joy if 'circumstances' lead to Brexit being cancelled.

>

> That makes the extremely dubious assumption that all those who voted Remain would be happy with the consequences of overturning a democratic vote. A very dangerous assumption I would suggest.

Only a democratic vote if the rules were obeyed. They weren't and, of course, Moscow was playing a big role.

Yeah, I remember being brainwashed by Moscow's dastardly mind-control ray even as I was voting in the polling booth :lol:
This discussion has been closed.