Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It takes some chutzpah to argue that CON & LAB local losses we

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > We > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > @saddo said:
    > > > > > > @solarflare said:
    > > > > > > I'm looking forward to the Conservative "campaign" for the Euro elections: "even though we're still hoping to leave and the plan is these guys won't actually take their MEP seats, vote for us anyway"?
    > > > > >
    > > > > > No Tory voter will vote for a party lead by Theresa May.
    > > > >
    > > > > I suspect there will be the odd one like Granny Foxy, who will vote blue no matter what.
    > > >
    > > > I would be genuinely astonished if this is not the worst Tory performance in a national election since universal suffrage.
    > > That is very likely, if the Brexit Party get 30% as YouGov currently has them on that would also be the best result for a non Tory or non Labour third party in a national election since universal suffrage too
    > >
    >
    > An interesting betting market for the Euros would be LDs vs Tories, vs Lab, vs Green etc in head to head votes. I wonder if Shadsy is interested.
    >
    > I did pick up LD 130/1 as top party. Not likely, but not that unlikely, particularly picking up former Tories and Lab supporters. A second place market may be tempting too.

If the LDs pick up virtually all Labour Remainers and a lot of Tory Remainers not impossible they could come top but only in those circumstances
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,313
    Can anyone help me by explaining how I cut and paste a picture into a comment? I normally find it easy enough to cut and paste pics into emails and Word but when I try paste into a post here nothing appears.

Thanks

PtP
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > > We > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > @saddo said:
    > > > > > > > @solarflare said:
    > > > > > > > I'm looking forward to the Conservative "campaign" for the Euro elections: "even though we're still hoping to leave and the plan is these guys won't actually take their MEP seats, vote for us anyway"?
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > No Tory voter will vote for a party lead by Theresa May.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I suspect there will be the odd one like Granny Foxy, who will vote blue no matter what.
    > > > >
    > > > > I would be genuinely astonished if this is not the worst Tory performance in a national election since universal suffrage.
    > > > That is very likely, if the Brexit Party get 30% as YouGov currently has them on that would also be the best result for a non Tory or non Labour third party in a national election since universal suffrage too
    > > >
    > >
    > > An interesting betting market for the Euros would be LDs vs Tories, vs Lab, vs Green etc in head to head votes. I wonder if Shadsy is interested.
    > >
    > > I did pick up LD 130/1 as top party. Not likely, but not that unlikely, particularly picking up former Tories and Lab supporters. A second place market may be tempting too.
    >
    > If the LDs pick up virtually all Labour Remainers and a lot of Tory Remainers not impossible they could come top but only in those circumstances

Yes, I thought 130/1 tempting, but I think many Labour Remainers will go Green too.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

Can anyone help me by explaining how I cut and paste a picture into a comment? I normally find it easy enough to cut and paste pics into emails and Word but when I try paste into a post here nothing appears.

Thanks

PtP

Take a screenshot then click the icon on the right and choose it

• Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,505
    edited May 2019
    > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > Tipping my hat to David Howarth XMP, the most surprising result in Cambridge was that the LibDems held Trumpington, after this extraordinary debacle,
    >
    > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-44047135
    >

I used to live in Trumpington. Growing up our local (Tory) mayor was a butcher who lived 2 doors down the road. It was a real mix of leafy suburb and council estate, country walks, happy memories.

Mind you I did not realise we had a university until I saw this video - look at the t-shirt:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQD1MNbdeg
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    kle4 said:

NickPalmer should get on to the Waverley people, I've never heard of this Councillor Nicholas Palmer bloke in his division.

https://modgov.waverley.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=923

Great division name though.

Waverley's new political line up has until the 21st to organise the future. I wonder if the Farnham Residents and Lib Dems can do a deal to take over the council from the Conservatives.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    isam said:

Thanks

PtP

Only works on the vanilla site... the buttons don't appear on the politicalbetting.com unless you are editing your post.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:

1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.

2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.

It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    HYUFD said:

That is very likely, if the Brexit Party get 30% as YouGov currently has them on that would also be the best result for a non Tory or non Labour third party in a national election since universal suffrage too

On a slightly related, I'd be interested in your take on the Paternoster result. I realise you may not have had much involvement in the campaign but this was a gain from the Conservatives and a sitting Councillor defeated.

Was it evident on the doorsteps the For Britain candidate was going to do so well or was it a genuine surprise?

On a night when you defended so many other seats, I'm puzzled as to how this one got away.
  • Options

isam said:

Thanks

PtP

Only works on the vanilla site... the buttons don't appear on the politicalbetting.com unless you are editing your post.
    Use the vanilla site then! 😂
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    >
    > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    >
    > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    >
    > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.

It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
  • Options
    test
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

> @Streeter said:

> > @algarkirk said:

>

> > The Lib Dems and the Greens did well. It's amazing how hard some commentators have tried to challenge that pretty straightforward observation or to suggest that it had nothing to do with Brexit.

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I think wait and see is the only option. Firstly, this was a streetlight, library and swimming pool set of elections. Some people no doubt vote on Brussels related issues when voting for a parish or borough council but actually that's crazy. Greens and Lib Dems are perfectly sensible options for local matters even if you think that muesli and sandals won't do when it comes to NATO or internal security.

>

> >

>

> > Secondly suppose you decided not to vote Lab/Con because they are both divided and useless, and you are a Brexiteer. Who would you vote for in a this borough election to register this? UKIP have gone fascist, Brexit wasn't standing. Nowhere to go to register Brexity discontent. Later in May will tell us more.

>

>

>

> a lot of Leavers voted for Independent candidates

>

> How do you know?

The Independent candidate in Epping was even once a UKIP candidate

That’s one independent candidate. You’re generalising from that???
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Thanks

PtP

I am (to avoid the >>> problem, although I'd prefer the PB.com site if and when blockquotes start working again).

I was merely pointing it out to @Peter_the_Punter in case he was using PB.com and therefore mystified by your suggested solution.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @Foxy said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > > > We > @Foxy said:
    > > > > > > > @saddo said:
    > > > > > > > > @solarflare said:
    > > > > > > > > I'm looking forward to the Conservative "campaign" for the Euro elections: "even though we're still hoping to leave and the plan is these guys won't actually take their MEP seats, vote for us anyway"?
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > No Tory voter will vote for a party lead by Theresa May.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > I suspect there will be the odd one like Granny Foxy, who will vote blue no matter what.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I would be genuinely astonished if this is not the worst Tory performance in a national election since universal suffrage.
    > > > > That is very likely, if the Brexit Party get 30% as YouGov currently has them on that would also be the best result for a non Tory or non Labour third party in a national election since universal suffrage too
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > An interesting betting market for the Euros would be LDs vs Tories, vs Lab, vs Green etc in head to head votes. I wonder if Shadsy is interested.
    > > >
    > > > I did pick up LD 130/1 as top party. Not likely, but not that unlikely, particularly picking up former Tories and Lab supporters. A second place market may be tempting too.
    > >
    > > If the LDs pick up virtually all Labour Remainers and a lot of Tory Remainers not impossible they could come top but only in those circumstances
    >
    > Yes, I thought 130/1 tempting, but I think many Labour Remainers will go Green too.

YouGov has 15% of 2017 Labour voters going Green, 11% going Brexit Party, 10% going LD (the same as CUK).

It has only 3% of 2017 Tories going LD (the same as going Green), 6% going CUK.

Amongst Remainers as a whole though 17% say they will vote LD in the European elections, more than the 15% going Green and the 15% going for CUK and the 12% voting Tory

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1b70ce1trk/TheTimes_190430_EuropeVI_Trackers_w.pdf
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Thanks

PtP

I am (to avoid the >>> problem, although I'd prefer the PB.com site if and when blockquotes start working again).

I was merely pointing it out to @Peter_the_Punter in case he was using PB.com and therefore mystified by your suggested solution.
    👍🏻
  • Options

> @rcs1000 said:

>

> 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.

>

>

> It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.

It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.

I think a 2nd referendum with 3 options (Remain, Deal, No Deal) under some kind of AV is now increasingly likely.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > test
    >

> @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1125845262369472513

Have BP revealed their candidate for Peterborough by election yet?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    GIN1138 said:

> test

>

> @isam said:

>

No annunziatament has been made yet.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

> test

>

> @isam said:

>

Can it be someone who is an MEP?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Streeter said:
    > > @Streeter said:
    >
    > > > @algarkirk said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > The Lib Dems and the Greens did well. It's amazing how hard some commentators have tried to challenge that pretty straightforward observation or to suggest that it had nothing to do with Brexit.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > I think wait and see is the only option. Firstly, this was a streetlight, library and swimming pool set of elections. Some people no doubt vote on Brussels related issues when voting for a parish or borough council but actually that's crazy. Greens and Lib Dems are perfectly sensible options for local matters even if you think that muesli and sandals won't do when it comes to NATO or internal security.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > Secondly suppose you decided not to vote Lab/Con because they are both divided and useless, and you are a Brexiteer. Who would you vote for in a this borough election to register this? UKIP have gone fascist, Brexit wasn't standing. Nowhere to go to register Brexity discontent. Later in May will tell us more.
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > a lot of Leavers voted for Independent candidates
    >
    > >
    >
    > > How do you know?
    >
    > The Independent candidate in Epping was even once a UKIP candidate
    >
    > That’s one independent candidate. You’re generalising from that???

Not generalising at all, most Leavers stayed at home, if they did not vote for the Tories or Labour the Independents was where many headed. More of them will be out in the European elections though to vote Brexit Party
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

> test

>

> @isam said:

>

Can it be someone who is an MEP?
    I don't see why not. If there's a rule that you can do both jobs she could resign as MEP and the BP can just pick the next available person on their list to replace her.

With any luck the problem will not arise though.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > >
    > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > >
    > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > >
    > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    >
    > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.

Indeed, and it will be tricky for the Tories to hold onto those Northern Leavers once Brexit has happened.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

> @williamglenn said:

> > @rcs1000 said:

> >

> > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.

> >

> >

> > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.

>

> It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.

Indeed, and it will be tricky for the Tories to hold onto those Northern Leavers once Brexit has happened.

And any GE could still be 2 years after Brexit, so they may not even gain them in the first place.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @stodge said:
    > That is very likely, if the Brexit Party get 30% as YouGov currently has them on that would also be the best result for a non Tory or non Labour third party in a national election since universal suffrage too
    >
    > On a slightly related, I'd be interested in your take on the Paternoster result. I realise you may not have had much involvement in the campaign but this was a gain from the Conservatives and a sitting Councillor defeated.
    >
    > Was it evident on the doorsteps the For Britain candidate was going to do so well or was it a genuine surprise?
    >
    > On a night when you defended so many other seats, I'm puzzled as to how this one got away.

The focus was on Buckhurst Hill West and Epping Lindsey and Thornwood which were the key marginals we narrowly held from the LDs.

Waltham Abbey took a little while to get organised and found a lot of angry Leavers and Britain First heavily targeted Paternoster and took advantage of that anger and on a low turnout of less than 30% they won the seat (though the Tories also lost Epping Hemnall to the LDs to give the LDs all 3 District seats now and Waltham Abbey SW to the Greens)
  • Options
    > @rcs1000 said:
    >
    >
    >

The same problem faces Labour

1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.

2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
  • Options
    Scousers keeping it interesting!
  • Options

test

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    Foxy said:

Scousers keeping it interesting!

Very interesting.....
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > test
    > >
    >
    > > @isam said:
    > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1125845262369472513
    >
    > Have BP revealed their candidate for Peterborough by election yet?

It is a donkey with a BP logo on, it will be a landslide.
  • Options
    retest

• Options
    Thanks Isam. It took me forever but I got there in the end. Don't think I'll bother again unless desperate.

Atb

PtP
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @rcs1000 said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > The same problem faces Labour
    >
    > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    >
    > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands

Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
  • Options
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1125837612076412929?s=20
    >
    > Sheffield 1992?

From how far are these people being bussed in?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    HYUFD said:
    Trump 101.

Seems to be going according to plan.
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1125837612076412929?s=20
    > >
    > > Sheffield 1992?
    >
    > From how far are these people being bussed in?
    Not really, Sheffield 1992 did not come after Labour winning the general election and still not being in power as is the equivalent with the Brexit rally given we are still in the EU 3 years after Leave won the referendum
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > Trump 101.
    >
    > Seems to be going according to plan.

I watched a bit of it. Ann Widdecombe said that Theresa May doesn't have the leadership skills to be a Brown Owl and got a standing ovation.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    > @rcs1000 said:
    >
    >
    >

I doubt a softer Brexit would lose votes in Leave areas as long as it achieved Brexit.

Few people actually care about trade deals and customs treaties.

What would damage the Conservatives is attempting a softer Brexit but still failing to achieve it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,073
    > retest

It lives!
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > >
    > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > >
    > > The same problem faces Labour
    > >
    > > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    > >
    > > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
    >
    > Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.

Are they? Labour became the first opposition in history last week to lose councillors despite being out of power for 9 years as many of its Remain voters switched to the LDs and Greens.

In Leave voting Stoke meanwhile the Tories picked up 8 seats and in Leave voting Bolsover Labour lost seats to the Independents
  • Options
    Mood music from the infamous customs union talks doesn't sound good tonight.

I am shocked, I tell you, shocked.
  • Options
    Many independent gains were in places like Bolsover, Ashfield, Basildon, Scarborough, Stockton, Barnsley, Hartlepool, Tendring, Maldon, Braintree, Thurrock.

The likelihood of it it being 'leaver' related in some way must be reasonably high.

I guess, just from a quick perusal of the BBC interactive map, that the Independents tended to gain in areas where Lib Dems/Greens didn't. Another clue, probably.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125730218084376576
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731333307867136
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731598517796865
    >
    >
    >
    > Meanwhile...
    >
    > https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1125852804382244864

This cat and mouse game between the Tories and Labour will keep going until the Brexit Party sweeps to victory in the European elections then wins the Peterborough by election.

Only when they are panicked about losing their seats will a majority of their MPs vote for a compromise deal (although even then Labour MPs from Remain seats will push for EUref2 and the ERG hardliners will stay opposed)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,221

Mood music from the infamous customs union talks doesn't sound good tonight.

I am shocked, I tell you, shocked.

If Labour had been serious about negotiations, would they have sent Rebecca Long-Bailey, who is dogmatist of limited intelligence noted for her extreme rudeness? Or Macdonnell, who won't even talk to members of his own party if they dare to criticise him?

That said, I don't know who the Tory negotiators were but it's hard to imagine they were much better.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > >
    > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > >
    > > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > > >
    > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > >
    > > > The same problem faces Labour
    > > >
    > > > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
    > >
    > > Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.
    >
    > Are they? Labour became the first opposition in history last week to lose councillors despite being out of power for 9 years as many of its Remain voters switched to the LDs and Greens.
    >
    >
    > In Leave voting Stoke meanwhile the Tories picked up 8 seats and in Leave voting Bolsover Labour lost seats to the Independents

Not true! Labour lost hundreds of seats - mainly directly to the Tories - in the Local Elections of 1959, 1960 & 1961 despite having been in Opposition since 1951. More recently, Labour also lost many seats to the Tories in the May 1992 Local Elections 13 years into Opposition.
  • Options
    Barca taking a siesta...
  • Options
    Incidentally, Russia Today (so treat with usual health warnings) has reported that Mike Pompeo is in Baghdad for talks on Iran.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So her venture is Amtrak to succeed?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > > >
    > > > > The same problem faces Labour
    > > > >
    > > > > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    > > > >
    > > > > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
    > > >
    > > > Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.
    > >
    > > Are they? Labour became the first opposition in history last week to lose councillors despite being out of power for 9 years as many of its Remain voters switched to the LDs and Greens.
    > >
    > >
    > > In Leave voting Stoke meanwhile the Tories picked up 8 seats and in Leave voting Bolsover Labour lost seats to the Independents
    >
    > Not true! Labour lost hundreds of seats - mainly directly to the Tories - in the Local Elections of 1959, 1960 & 1961 despite having been in Opposition since 1951. More recently, Labour also lost many seats to the Tories in the May 1992 Local Elections 13 years into Opposition.

May 1992 was just after losing the general election so does not count, in 1991 Labour gained 584 councillors.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The same problem faces Labour
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
    > > > >
    > > > > Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.
    > > >
    > > > Are they? Labour became the first opposition in history last week to lose councillors despite being out of power for 9 years as many of its Remain voters switched to the LDs and Greens.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > In Leave voting Stoke meanwhile the Tories picked up 8 seats and in Leave voting Bolsover Labour lost seats to the Independents
    > >
    > > Not true! Labour lost hundreds of seats - mainly directly to the Tories - in the Local Elections of 1959, 1960 & 1961 despite having been in Opposition since 1951. More recently, Labour also lost many seats to the Tories in the May 1992 Local Elections 13 years into Opposition.
    >
    > May 1992 was at the same time as the general election so does not count, in 1991 Labour gained 584 councillors.
    >
    >
    >

The 1992 general election took place on 9th April.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @rcs1000 said:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >

In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.

However, instead of that, we're going to either have:

1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.

2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Yes, well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7001795/Brussels-bureaucrat-Juncker-says-EU-interfered-Brexit-referendum-campaign.html - if they’d listened to me they would have got involved.
    Why would Labour do a deal now? Far better to wait and see the Tories come last with 5% or whatever and then see who the new Tory leader is.

Any deal with May won’t last.

Plus if the Tories do implode at the Euros there must be a non-negligible chance of a GE, which is what Labour really want.
  • Options
    > @justin124 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > @justin124 said:
    > > > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > The same problem faces Labour
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > 1. Go for Brexit and agree a Deal and lose votes in the inner cities and University towns.
    > > > > > >
    > > > > > > 2. Abandon Brexit and go for EUref2 or Revoke and lose votes in their industrial working class heartlands
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Labour voters are much less obsessed with Brexit - other issues easily override it.
    > > > >
    > > > > Are they? Labour became the first opposition in history last week to lose councillors despite being out of power for 9 years as many of its Remain voters switched to the LDs and Greens.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > In Leave voting Stoke meanwhile the Tories picked up 8 seats and in Leave voting Bolsover Labour lost seats to the Independents
    > > >
    > > > Not true! Labour lost hundreds of seats - mainly directly to the Tories - in the Local Elections of 1959, 1960 & 1961 despite having been in Opposition since 1951. More recently, Labour also lost many seats to the Tories in the May 1992 Local Elections 13 years into Opposition.
    > >
    > > May 1992 was at the same time as the general election so does not count, in 1991 Labour gained 584 councillors.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > The 1992 general election took place on 9th April.

Yes and Labour lost it which was why they lost council seats the following month
  • Options
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > >
    > > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
    >
    > In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.
    >
    > However, instead of that, we're going to either have:
    >
    > 1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.
    >
    > 2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
    >
    >
    At the moment there have been more votes for May's Deal in the Commons than for 2 and Deal plus CU has been closer to a Commons majority than 1 so I am not sure that follows
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > Yes, well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7001795/Brussels-bureaucrat-Juncker-says-EU-interfered-Brexit-referendum-campaign.html - if they’d listened to me they would have got involved. https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125730218084376576
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731333307867136
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731598517796865
    >
    >
    >
    > Meanwhile...
    >
    > https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1125852804382244864
    >
    >
    >
    > Why would Labour do a deal now? Far better to wait and see the Tories come last with 5% or whatever and then see who the new Tory leader is.
    >
    > Any deal with May won’t last.
    >
    > Plus if the Tories do implode at the Euros there must be a non-negligible chance of a GE, which is what Labour really want.

If Labour force a snap general election after the Brexit Party storm to victory at the European elections the momentum could carry Farage to No 10
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.

Delusion. If May's deal passes, we will enter into years of negotiations which could possibly conclude with some new regime on migration. No-one is going to be celebrating the end of free movement in the middle of a standstill transition while Brexit negotiations continue with no end in sight.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:
    Cameron was quite right though. The unhinged ravings of a third-rate drunk infamous for his sweetheart tax deals and his shall we say innovative use of intelligence services to harass his opponents on how a federal Europe would be not only beneficial but vital to Britain would have been the best way to ensure the result was 75-25 to leave.

Although there would probably have been less faffing around afterwards.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> Yes, well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7001795/Brussels-bureaucrat-Juncker-says-EU-interfered-Brexit-referendum-campaign.html - if they’d listened to me they would have got involved.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Meanwhile...

>

>

>

>

>

> Why would Labour do a deal now? Far better to wait and see the Tories come last with 5% or whatever and then see who the new Tory leader is.

>

> Any deal with May won’t last.

>

> Plus if the Tories do implode at the Euros there must be a non-negligible chance of a GE, which is what Labour really want.

If Labour force a snap general election after the Brexit Party storm to victory at the European elections the momentum could carry Farage to No 10
    Great: a choice between two illiberal anti-semitic movements run by the bad, the mad and the plain barmy. What joy!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    > @williamglenn said:
    > https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1125860633898045441

They have more women on the stage than in the audience
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @ydoethur said:
    > Yes, well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7001795/Brussels-bureaucrat-Juncker-says-EU-interfered-Brexit-referendum-campaign.html - if they’d listened to me they would have got involved.
    >
    > Cameron was quite right though. The unhinged ravings of a third-rate drunk infamous for his sweetheart tax deals and his shall we say innovative use of intelligence services to harass his opponents on how a federal Europe would be not only beneficial but vital to Britain would have been the best way to ensure the result was 75-25 to leave.
    >
    > Although there would probably have been less faffing around afterwards.

What was really needed from Juncker and Tusk was something akin to the 'vow' Cameron and Brown promised shortly before indyref2014, that could have given Remain a narrow victory as No narrowly won in Scotland
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    > @rcs1000 said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
    >
    > In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.
    >
    > However, instead of that, we're going to either have:
    >
    > 1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.
    >
    > 2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
    >
    >

Passing the WA ought to be a no-brainer for Conservative MP's.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Passing the WA ought to be a no-brainer for Conservative MP's.

There are far too many who don't even meet that intellectual bar.
  • Options
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > >
    > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > >
    > > > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
    > >
    > > In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.
    > >
    > > However, instead of that, we're going to either have:
    > >
    > > 1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > >
    > > 2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Passing the WA ought to be a no-brainer for Conservative MP's.

But they have no brains!

And also still require another party to back it too.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2019
    Just wow......
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
    > >
    > > In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.
    > >
    > > However, instead of that, we're going to either have:
    > >
    > > 1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > >
    > > 2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Passing the WA ought to be a no-brainer for Conservative MP's.

Many of them would prefer to play their games.

The Conservative party is not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    HYUFD said:

What was really needed from Juncker and Tusk was something akin to the 'vow' Cameron and Brown promised shortly before indyref2014, that could have given Remain a narrow victory as No narrowly won in Scotland

Nobody would have believed it. Partly, of course, because of Cameron's broken promises over Scotland. But more so because nobody trusts Juncker - rightly - and at that time nobody had heard of Tusk. Much, much better for them to stay quiet.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > Yes, well - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7001795/Brussels-bureaucrat-Juncker-says-EU-interfered-Brexit-referendum-campaign.html - if they’d listened to me they would have got involved. https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125730218084376576
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731333307867136
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1125731598517796865
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Meanwhile...
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1125852804382244864
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Why would Labour do a deal now? Far better to wait and see the Tories come last with 5% or whatever and then see who the new Tory leader is.
    > >
    > > Any deal with May won’t last.
    > >
    > > Plus if the Tories do implode at the Euros there must be a non-negligible chance of a GE, which is what Labour really want.
    >
    > If Labour force a snap general election after the Brexit Party storm to victory at the European elections the momentum could carry Farage to No 10

Great. Mind you be fun to see him try to run stuff instead of making speeches without any responsibility.
    And who would he blame when everything didn't turn out perfect? Doubtless the EU, remoaners, foreigners or some other fifth columnists.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Thoughts with TSE at this miraculous time.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > > @HYUFD said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1125837612076412929?s=20
    > > >
    > > > Sheffield 1992?
    > >
    > > From how far are these people being bussed in?
    > Not really, Sheffield 1992 did not come after Labour winning the general election and still not being in power as is the equivalent with the Brexit rally given we are still in the EU 3 years after Leave won the referendum
    >

Apparently the ground is three quarters empty
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    61% of Tory Party members will vote for the Brexit Party in the European Parliament elections, just 22% will vote Tory a new ConHome Tory members' poll finds

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/05/our-panel-and-the-european-elections-three-in-five-will-still-vote-for-the-brexit-party.html
  • Options
    When Voodoo polls pop up from ConHome, it's time to end.

Good night.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:
    Cameron was quite right though. The unhinged ravings of a third-rate drunk infamous for his sweetheart tax deals and his shall we say innovative use of intelligence services to harass his opponents on how a federal Europe would be not only beneficial but vital to Britain would have been the best way to ensure the result was 75-25 to leave.

Although there would probably have been less faffing around afterwards.
    I’m not sure. A bit more Donald Tusk, a bit less Arron Banks might have resulted in a bit more honesty.

See here - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/05/18/the-eu-dog-that-hasnt-barked-yet/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

61% of Tory Party members will vote for the Brexit Party in the European elections, just 22% will vote Tory a new ConHome Tory members' poll finds

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/05/our-panel-and-the-european-elections-three-in-five-will-still-vote-for-the-brexit-party.html

It's not a proper poll though is it?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,277
    > @Scrapheap_as_was said:
    > Thoughts with TSE at this miraculous time.

As a United fan I just have to say wow. What a team, what a manager.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    edited May 2019
    The sides still arguing about not comrpomising. What a bunch of insincere plonkers they all are.

May should put her deal up to the Commons again, after Liverpool tonight I'll believe anything can win.
  • Options
    Telegraph:

"Theresa May has been given until teatime on Wednesday to come up with a "roadmap" to her resignation as leader of the Tory party - or she will have one forced upon her."

• Options
    Interesting that Daniel Kawczynski says a second referendum may become inevitable.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @HYUFD said:

> > @justin124 said:

> > > @tlg86 said:

> > > > @HYUFD said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > Sheffield 1992?

> >

> > From how far are these people being bussed in?

> Not really, Sheffield 1992 did not come after Labour winning the general election and still not being in power as is the equivalent with the Brexit rally given we are still in the EU 3 years after Leave won the referendum

>

Apparently the ground is three quarters empty

https://twitter.com/forchange__now/status/1125850929675296771?s=21
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Telegraph:
    >
    > "Theresa May has been given until teatime on Wednesday to come up with a "roadmap" to her resignation as leader of the Tory party - or she will have one forced upon her."

There is no point in negotiating with a zombie government. Both Lab and the EU27 need to wait for the next leader.
  • Options

Telegraph:

"Theresa May has been given until teatime on Wednesday to come up with a "roadmap" to her resignation as leader of the Tory party - or she will have one forced upon her."

"Forced on her"... how exactly?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Scrapheap_as_was said:
    > > Thoughts with TSE at this miraculous time.
    >
    > As a United fan I just have to say wow. What a team, what a manager.

On 2 days rest, missing key players and with robertson kicked off the pitch by suarez.... only for the sub to score 2 huge goals... surely all english fans are pleased for the scousers tonight?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Telegraph:
    >
    > "Theresa May has been given until teatime on Wednesday to come up with a "roadmap" to her resignation as leader of the Tory party - or she will have one forced upon her."

"Pass Brexit deal, I resign the next day"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

> @Scrapheap_as_was said:

> Thoughts with TSE at this miraculous time.

As a United fan I just have to say wow. What a team, what a manager.

Unreal. What a season of football.

Spare a thought for Ousmane Dembele...

https://youtu.be/jRrbOxZ9lcU
  • Options
    > @Benpointer said:
    > 61% of Tory Party members will vote for the Brexit Party in the European elections, just 22% will vote Tory a new ConHome Tory members' poll finds
    >
    >
    >
    > https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2019/05/our-panel-and-the-european-elections-three-in-five-will-still-vote-for-the-brexit-party.html
    >
    > It's not a proper poll though is it?

The latest YouGov Euro elections poll has 52% of 2017 Tory voters voting Brexit Party and only 30% voting Tory so it matches the polling

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/1b70ce1trk/TheTimes_190430_EuropeVI_Trackers_w.pdf
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Congratulations to Liverpool .

Stunning performance and wonderful crowd . Even though I’m a long suffering Arsenal fan I was a bag of nerves and extremely happy to see Liverpool get through .

The Liverpool players were all heroes tonight , huge respect.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The Middle East is looking tense right now. Potential pre-emptive US strikes on Iranian missile sites. Could easily change Brexit debate and news priorities.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @Sean_F said:
    > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > > @rcs1000 said:
    > > > > > I don't think this is very complicated. The Conservatives have two choices:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 1. Go for a Harder Brexit, and lose votes in the South East and the rest of Remainia.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > 2. Go for a Softer Brexit, and lose votes in Leaverstan.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It really isn't rocket science to understand this. And anyone peddling a "this is all the Conservatives have to do" is an idiot. Because if it really was that simple they'd be doing it.
    > > > >
    > > > > It's even more intractable than that, because if they go for a Harder Brexit, they still lose votes in Leaverstan when the reality hits, and if they go for a Softer Brexit, they still lose votes in Remainia because a softer Brexit is still Brexit.
    > > >
    > > > In the real world, if Mrs May's deal passed then Leavers would be largely happy because FoM came to an end, while most Remainers would be happy the economic sky did not fall in.
    > > >
    > > > However, instead of that, we're going to either have:
    > > >
    > > > 1. We Remain, which will leave a solid quarter to a third of the population livid that their vote meant nothing. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > > >
    > > > 2. We Crash Out, which will mean a serious economic dislocation, and those who lose their jobs or their houses will feel that they were lied to by the political classes. It will be poison for British democracy.
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Passing the WA ought to be a no-brainer for Conservative MP's.
    >
    > But they have no brains!
    >
    > And also still require another party to back it too.
    >
    >

That's why it's a no brainer. But, Ydoethur has identified the flaw in my argument.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited May 2019
    I am looking forward to Wolves winning on Sunday.

Klopp has done well to reach a second Champions League Final, it would be a pity if they don't win on June 1st. I hope that Livepool have a fitting end to the season that night, not many teams have recovered from a 0-3 drubbing in Barcelona.
  • Options

The Middle East is looking tense right now. Potential pre-emptive US strikes on Iranian missile sites. Could easily change Brexit debate and news priorities.

Jon Bolton managed to get Trump to listen to his madcap theories for five minutes?
This discussion has been closed.