Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Out of excuses. Jeremy Corbyn, serial loser

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,970

> @OblitusSumMe said:

> > @Big_G_NorthWales said:

> > > @malcolmg said:

> > > Ian Blackford makes a fool of himself

> > >

> > > In what way G, did he ask an intelligent question that the donkeys did not understand.

> >

> > Referred to Duchess of Sussex as Wessex

>

> An innocent mistake. I've done worse. Far, far worse. And my Dad can never get the names of his sons right either.

>

> Have you ever misspoken?

Of course we all err but his was unfortunate in view of the topical nature of the Duchess of Sussex

G, it is pathetic that the morons in Westminster have little to worry them other than the royal parasites, get on with saving the country you muppets.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Come ahead if you think you're hard enough...

https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1126095747768778752
  • Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

In what way G, did he ask an intelligent question that the donkeys did not understand.

He offered congratulations to the wrong Royal parents
    Well they are all so inbred who can tell them apart, very easy mistake to make.
    Sophie Wessex is blonde, Meghan Sussex isn’t. Fairly easy one
    LOL
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927

> @OblitusSumMe said:

> > @Scott_P said:

> >

>

> Can they sort it out before the Brexit Party select a candidate?

>

> Time is already running short.

Do you think they'll work out he should run under "Remain Alliance", or will he have "GREEN CUCKLD - TIG: The Independent Group #change.org" next to his name?
    If they did that, at least Chuka’s mob would have shown some inkling of doing things differently as they promised.
  • Options
    felix said:

> @malcolmg said:

> In what way G, did he ask an intelligent question that the donkeys did not understand.

>

> He offered congratulations to the wrong Royal parents

>

> Well they are all so inbred who can tell them apart, very easy mistake to make.

You'd think even the average Scot could tell Meghan apart.

Here come the bigoted unionists with their little jibes
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    > @Scott_P said:
    > Come ahead if you think you're hard enough...
    >
    > https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1126095747768778752

There is no sign that Phase One will ever be completed.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited May 2019
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > Come ahead if you think you're hard enough...
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1126095747768778752
    >
    > There is no sign that Phase One will ever be completed.

Which suits May fine ironically, the longer it takes to completion the longer she stays in No 10 given most of her MPs do not want to risk toppling her before a Deal is done and getting a hard Brexiteer as her replacement
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    >
    > The Cold War has been over for some time. Islamist terrorism has been - and continues to be - a menace and Pakistan is one of the countries which harbours it. It is not a country which ought to be lavished with foreign aid while behaving in an uncivilised way. If foreign aid is meant to be part of our soft power, what the hell are we getting from it re Pakistan?
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm not sure that, for instance, stopping funding girls' education is going to have the effect you're hoping for.
    >
    > Wouldn’t we do better using the money to stop girls of Pakistani heritage born here being taken out of education and sent off to marry “cousins” in Pakistan? To educate their parents that this is a no-no? To educate some of the men here about how to treat women: both Asian and white? Etc
    >
    > How much of or foreign aid is actually going to help girls’ education? And to what end? Girls are still being raped as a punishment for crimes committed by men. Little point changing girls’ expectations if the expectations of the men around them and the laws preventing them from living a full life haven’t changed.
    > .

I think we do all of those things in some form or another.
    Girls' education is a major spending priority for DFID. I think there's a lot of point in educating girls even if the culture they live in is very repressive. In some ways, that's how you get the culture to change.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    HYUFD said:

> @OblitusSumMe said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > >

>
    >

Not going to be of much use in 60% Leave Peterborough other than taking Labour votes.
    To be fair I think damaging Labour is their strategy...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

> @malcolmg said:

>

> In what way G, did he ask an intelligent question that the donkeys did not understand.

Not ALL donkeys surely.

In fact, question for you. Very serious and sober one.

Looking at English MP politicians, any party, which one do you like the most? - i.e. a person who you see and listen to and say to yourself, "Ooo, I wish we had him or her up here in Scotland."

No doubt there's a few, but who is your favourite?

Ken Clarke, hard to think of any others
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    <blockquote>
    > @Charles said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    >
    > > Good header, Corbyn's record in local elections is indeed abysmal and his failure to reverse the collapse of Scottish Labour is a major strategic weakness on the road to a working majority.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > At 70 years of age (on the 26th) surely the time has come for Corbyn to step aside. I suspect that he would have done so already had the collapse of this government and another election not looked so imminent.
    >
    >
    >
    > 'Ohh, John McDonnell' doesn't scan. He'll have to stay on until he can find a five syllable replacement
    >
    > Ohhh Johnny McD ?

</blockquote>

Reminds me a bit of the song 'Oh Sir Jasper'! Eventually it will be reduced to just Oh! (as she lay between the lilley white sheets with nothing on at all) :-)
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Wow Peterborough is going to be an interesting result to watch. By-elections don't necessarily mean that much in the big scheme so the Euros on May 23rd are far more of a shifter but if the BP win both, as seems possible, then there will be some traction and momentum.

But Peterborough is just so difficult to call. On the face of it, Labour ought to win easily. But Corbyn is poison so I'm not sure.

A united PV candidate could do well, despite coming from a non-existent base.

So I reckon the really interesting one here will be to bet on the Conservatives coming 4th. Seriously. Brexit Party / Labour for 1st and 2nd, Remain Alliance PV 3rd and a massive tory slump to 4th.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1126086999243460608
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeh Gods. Common sense breaking out?
    >
    > How is it common sense?
    >
    > Sure they save on three lost deposits, but they also reduce their combined spending limit...

More to the point they need a really good showing if the Referendum call is to get any more traction.
  • Options
    > @felix said:
    > > @brokenwheel said:
    > > https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1126086999243460608
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Yeh Gods. Common sense breaking out?
    > >
    > > How is it common sense?
    > >
    > > Sure they save on three lost deposits, but they also reduce their combined spending limit...
    >
    > More to the point they need a really good showing if the Referendum call is to get any more traction.

That's not true. A good showing in the EU elections is far more important. Peterborough was 60% Leave so it's not their natural territory.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,198
    > @malcolmg said:
    >
    > Ken Clarke, hard to think of any others

Great answer. I'm Lab but I recognize Ken as quality. Quite remarkable how they plumped for IDS over him in 2001.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    HYUFD said:

> @OblitusSumMe said:

> > @Scott_P said:

> >

>

>

Not going to be of much use in 60% Leave Peterborough other than taking Labour votes.

Would be more effective in the European Parliament elections
    Well, it depends. Probably the byelection turnout will be well down on the 2016 referendum turnout (as indeed will the Euros). Will those who bothered to vote for the first time in decades be amongst those who turn out? or will it be those who always vote?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    kinabalu said:

Great answer. I'm Lab but I recognize Ken as quality. Quite remarkable how they plumped for IDS over him in 2001.

Seeing the ERG in action now, it makes sense
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @Scott_P said:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/GuardianHeather/status/1126095747768778752

Conservative MPs fall for it every time. What is new about Theresa May saying she will do what she said last time?
  • Options
    If it weren't screwing up the country and you didn't care much about Brexit, it would actually be hugely entertaining to watch the way Theresa May is playing the ERG.

I love all these blustering old fools, spluttering and spitting but actually achieving completely nothing.

She just goes on and on and on.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @kinabalu said:
    > > > @pbr2013 said:
    > > > Ferry to Santander or Bilbao and onward by train or car.
    > >
    > > Real fans would walk it the whole way, Liverpool to Madrid, wading through rivers and streams, swimming if necessary when faced with stretches of deep stagnant water.
    >
    > Surely real Liverpool fans would nick a car and joyride down there?
    >
    > Sorry, appalling comment in bad taste. Still ...

Now that is the sort of comment that will come back to bite your bum when you decide to stand for high public office in a few years from now.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > If it weren't screwing up the country and you didn't care much about Brexit, it would actually be hugely entertaining to watch the way Theresa May is playing the ERG.
    >
    > I love all these blustering old fools, spluttering and spitting but actually achieving completely nothing.
    >
    > She just goes on and on and on.

Wait long by the river and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Also - don't think its just the ERG..

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2019/05/robert-halfon-does-mays-selfish-operation-care-at-all-about-the-partys-future.html

"It was compounded by the incomprehensible decision to sack the Defence Secretary on the eve of the local elections. I spent much of Thursday telling at the Harlow polling stations. I lost count of how many voters came up to me asking: “What on earth is going on?” I have no idea as to the true story re Huawei et al, but why on earth did this need to be decided, in full media glare, just a few hours before the polling stations opened?

After a couple of days of quiet during which we were able to concentrate on local issues like lower council tax and waste collections, Number 10, in full bloodlust, chose to ignore the thousands of councillors and unpaid volunteers who were fighting for the very soul and survival of the Conservative Party. Creating such a self-indulgent drama was an utterly selfish decision from an utterly selfish Number 10 machine. Do they even care about the future of the Party?"
  • Options
    > @TrèsDifficile said:

> Stuck in the middle with you is meant to be a parody of Dylan though -
    > " Rafferty's lyrics are a dismissive tale of a music industry cocktail party written and performed as a parody of Bob Dylan's paranoia (the vocal impression, subject & styling was so similar, listeners have wrongly attributed the song to Dylan since its release)"
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_in_the_Middle_with_You#Overview

Great song but I can't listen to it these days without visualizing a bloke tied to a chair and getting his ear sliced off. Spoiled it a bit. Thank you Quentin Tarantino.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

On topic, with reference to Corbyn's serial loseriness, quiz question: which of Labour's post-war leaders made net gains in Westminster by-elections? Obviously, Corbyn (0 gains, 1 loss) isn't among them. It's a surprisingly short list.

I think I read that Atlee did that?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Scott_P said:
    I suspect some in the LDs won't be universally happy but the party polled only 3% last time and while gains were made at local level last week the party was still well back in third.

As others have said, it makes no sense having three fishing in the same pond in a by-election which, if the BP does well on May 23rd, will be all about the BP.

We then have a number of scenarios to consider (apart from a CON win which looks improbable at this time):

If it ends 1) LAB 2) Remain Alliance 3) BP the Farage fox will look under pressure with the charge if they can't win a solid LEAVE voting area like Peterborough, where can they win?

If it's 1) LAB 2) BP 3) Remain Alliance it won't be so serious for the Remain parties especially if they poll a solid 20-25%.

Clearly, a win for either the BP or the Remain Alliance would have huge implications which we will no doubt consider ad nauseam and ad infinitum.

The Remain Alliance need to get going otherwise it will look like a LAB-BP battle with CON and Remain scrapping for the crumbs.
  • Options
    Stodge, so you agree with me then that the Conservatives may well come 4th in Peterborough?
  • Options
    The Lib Dems making way for a CUK candidate could be a good tactical move as a precursor to taking them over.
  • Options
    I think Theresa's position must be that she's hoping the tide will turn if she gets her deal through.

What I find extraordinary about that is that if she tacked a PV to the deal I reckon she'd sail it through Parliament.

So why doesn't she? She has clearly shown she cares not two hoots about her red lines, which is why I think she will last the rest of this year. There can only be one conclusion.

She thinks the country will reject the deal and vote Remain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854

Stodge, so you agree with me then that the Conservatives may well come 4th in Peterborough?

I think it's plausible especially if the European elections are as bad as some polls suggest. I think had CUK, Greens and the LDs all fought independently, the Conservatives would be certain for third place but there's a chance a single overtly REMAIN candidate might be able to pull some support from Labour. Oddly enough, I think the combined candidate helps the BP as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

She thinks the country will reject the deal and vote Remain.

Perhaps what she's waiting for is the moment when that victory will be so emphatic that she will be thanked for it, and so definitive that the Conservative party gives up on Euroscepticism.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Wow Peterborough is going to be an interesting result to watch. By-elections don't necessarily mean that much in the big scheme so the Euros on May 23rd are far more of a shifter but if the BP win both, as seems possible, then there will be some traction and momentum.

But Peterborough is just so difficult to call. On the face of it, Labour ought to win easily. But Corbyn is poison so I'm not sure.

A united PV candidate could do well, despite coming from a non-existent base.

So I reckon the really interesting one here will be to bet on the Conservatives coming 4th. Seriously. Brexit Party / Labour for 1st and 2nd, Remain Alliance PV 3rd and a massive tory slump to 4th.

I don’t really think Labour ought to win easily.

They won in 2017, but they were promising to deliver Brexit to a 60% Leave constituency, and have voted it down instead. Throw in that the MP is now a convicted criminal and proven liar and I think TBP should be favs, and Labour might even come 3rd to a People’s Vote alliance
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Talking of mistakes, anyone heard what's going on with Nicholas Witchell? He looks absolutely terrible.

Yes, just watched the clip of him losing the thread on live TV. Unfortunate but hopefully nothing untoward. It could be that he was suddenly struck by the sheer absurdity of what he was doing, and then, giving in to that thought, by the absurdity of pretty much everyone and everything, leading to a debilitating bout of existential terror and a temporary inability to speak. Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    stodge said:

I think it's plausible especially if the European elections are as bad as some polls suggest. I think had CUK, Greens and the LDs all fought independently, the Conservatives would be certain for third place but there's a chance a single overtly REMAIN candidate might be able to pull some support from Labour. Oddly enough, I think the combined candidate helps the BP as well.
    Regarding the European elections, I see Ladbrokes have Conservatives <10% down to 5/2 from an opening price of 12/1. That was a sensational tip from TSE.

Must remember to thank him when he sobers up.
  • Options
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Mysticrose said:
    > > Talking of mistakes, anyone heard what's going on with Nicholas Witchell? He looks absolutely terrible.
    >
    > Yes, just watched the clip of him losing the thread on live TV. Unfortunate but hopefully nothing untoward. It could be that he was suddenly struck by the sheer absurdity of what he was doing, and then, giving in to that thought, by the absurdity of pretty much everyone and everything, leading to a debilitating bout of existential terror and a temporary inability to speak. Happens to the best of us.

There was a great French and Saunders sketch with two people working in the media where one of them suddenly has a breakdown when struck by the banality of it all.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > She thinks the country will reject the deal and vote Remain.
    >
    > Perhaps what she's waiting for is the moment when that victory will be so emphatic that she will be thanked for it, and so definitive that the Conservative party gives up on Euroscepticism.

She's quite driven by the idea of legacy, isn't she? I'm not sure that's a good recipe for leadership. I don't think Cameron could be accused of it, nor probably John Major.

Her overriding concern has been delivering Brexit, which with hindsight was a near-impossible task.

I think she's determined to try and get a deal over the line, no matter what the cost.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

> @Scott_P said:

>

>

There is no sign that Phase One will ever be completed.
    You catch on well, my friend! [evil laughter]
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

British politics is certainly in a terrible mess. In the (almost) words of Bob Dylan "Clowns to the left of me! jokers to the right! Here I am, stuck in the middle with CUK"

Bob Dylan?
    I particularly liked the use of Dylan's "Born Slippy" in "Trainspotting". And the use of Dylan's "Imperial March" in "The Empire Strikes Back" was inspired... :)
    And Dylan's "Je ne regrette rien" in Inception :)
    Which reminds me. Have a look at the aircraft (and their manufacturers) that the India Air Force has flown since it's inception. It's a useful shorthand for working out which countries it is/was allied to.
    The IAF takes a pragmatic approach now. They got absolutely fucked by the Russians on both the Su-30MKI and MiG-29K deals (narrow escape on PAK-FA) so while the Indian government still treasures relations with Russia as counter to the Pakistan-China axis they are more transactional when it comes to aircraft procurement. They still buy Russian when it's good value. eg 140 x Mi-17V5 recently.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > I think Theresa's position must be that she's hoping the tide will turn if she gets her deal through.
    >
    > What I find extraordinary about that is that if she tacked a PV to the deal I reckon she'd sail it through Parliament.
    >
    > So why doesn't she? She has clearly shown she cares not two hoots about her red lines, which is why I think she will last the rest of this year. There can only be one conclusion.
    >
    > She thinks the country will reject the deal and vote Remain.

In itself that isn’t the reason. It’s her party fearing that, and its reaction accordingly, which she is afraid of.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > She thinks the country will reject the deal and vote Remain.
    > >
    > > Perhaps what she's waiting for is the moment when that victory will be so emphatic that she will be thanked for it, and so definitive that the Conservative party gives up on Euroscepticism.
    >
    > She's quite driven by the idea of legacy, isn't she? I'm not sure that's a good recipe for leadership. I don't think Cameron could be accused of it, nor probably John Major.
    >
    > Her overriding concern has been delivering Brexit, which with hindsight was a near-impossible task.
    >
    > I think she's determined to try and get a deal over the line, no matter what the cost.

She's going to do a Gordon Brown - she'll stay locked in no 10 even after she loses a GE then have to be led down the street by her spouse and into a car before the meds wear off.
  • Options

On topic, with reference to Corbyn's serial loseriness, quiz question: which of Labour's post-war leaders made net gains in Westminster by-elections? Obviously, Corbyn (0 gains, 1 loss) isn't among them. It's a surprisingly short list.

I think I read that Atlee did that?
    Blair, surely!
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > >
    >
    > In itself that isn’t the reason. It’s her party fearing that, and its reaction accordingly, which she is afraid of.

That's probably true, though I'd throw in her fear of losing legacy. But you're probably right.

Ironically her actual legacy might well be 1. Ending Brexit 2. Ending the Conservative party in power for a generation.
  • Options
    > @Nigelb said:
    >
    > And clowns - always prepared to turn around to see their frowns.

Indeed so.

Probably no great general appetite to know what I think Dylan's best song is, but I may as well say it and then it's done and dusted. Positively 4th Street. "You've got a lot of nerve ..."
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,446
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/oflynnmep/status/1126099585112391681

Why are the Greens and Lib Dems suddenly viewed as interchangeable?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Re Corbyn's health, both The Times and The Mirror ran stories in March about his eyesight.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-corbyn-admits-he-is-being-treated-for-eye-condition-th5dhlpcd

Some conditions are less problematic than others.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Can anyone tell me the latest rules on Labour leadership elections?

Even if Corbyn does stand down, there's presumably no likelihood that the Momentum-flooded membership would choose anyone who is actually electable?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Stodge wrote

"Oddly enough, I think the combined candidate helps the BP as well."

I think that is an astute comment. If this becomes a Referendum by Proxy, then neither Labour nor Tory will win it.

A combined Remain candidate will be a serious blow to Labour in this by-election.
  • Options
    Interesting below.

So we could see:

1. BP
    2. Remain
    3. Labour
    4. Cons

Would be quite amusing if the Conservatives lost their deposit. Not beyond the realms ...
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

British politics is certainly in a terrible mess. In the (almost) words of Bob Dylan "Clowns to the left of me! jokers to the right! Here I am, stuck in the middle with CUK"

Bob Dylan?
    I particularly liked the use of Dylan's "Born Slippy" in "Trainspotting". And the use of Dylan's "Imperial March" in "The Empire Strikes Back" was inspired... :)
    And Dylan's "Je ne regrette rien" in Inception :)
    Which reminds me. Have a look at the aircraft (and their manufacturers) that the India Air Force has flown since it's inception. It's a useful shorthand for working out which countries it is/was allied to.
    The IAF takes a pragmatic approach now. They got absolutely fucked by the Russians on both the Su-30MKI and MiG-29K deals (narrow escape on PAK-FA) so while the Indian government still treasures relations with Russia as counter to the Pakistan-China axis they are more transactional when it comes to aircraft procurement. They still buy Russian when it's good value. eg 140 x Mi-17V5 recently.
    The IAF deployed three Hercules C-130J to help in the cyclone relief mission.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    I like everyone trying to find inventive ways of getting from Liverpool to Madrid for the final.

Of course, the majority of fans buying tickets officially through the club will fly in on a chartered plane, pretty much every spare plane in Europe will end up in Madrid that night. Thankfully the airport is much bigger and better equipped to handle several dozen planes than was the case in Kiev last year, which couldn’t handle anything bigger than a 737. Liverpool’s travel agents will have spent the whole day on the phone today, taking advantage of the extra day’s notice they have of the final over their opponents to secure available aircraft.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Interesting below.
    >
    > So we could see:
    >
    > 1. BP
    > 2. Remain
    > 3. Labour
    > 4. Cons
    >
    > Would be quite amusing if the Conservatives lost their deposit. Not beyond the realms ...

Another election in which a Tory vote or a Labour vote is a Wasted Vote.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Stodge wrote

"Oddly enough, I think the combined candidate helps the BP as well."

I think that is an astute comment. If this becomes a Referendum by Proxy, then neither Labour nor Tory will win it.

A combined Remain candidate will be a serious blow to Labour in this by-election.

Yes that could well be how it works out. Though it is not impossible it could be the opposite. People might decide they aren't interested in a proxy-referendum and vote Lab/Con leaving both EU poles deflated.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, my fellow soggy citizens.

'tis a grey and gloomy day.
  • Options
    All the money for the Royal baby name seems to be for Theodore
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Sandpit said:
    > I like everyone trying to find inventive ways of getting from Liverpool to Madrid for the final.
    >
    >

Other than driving, I'd probably fly to Tenerife and have a couple of days in the sun, then hop on one of the several flights to Madrid.

But, yes, there are many routes in. Marrakech wouldn't be a bad option :)

Edit scrub that last. Ramadan.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    > @Sandpit said:
    > I like everyone trying to find inventive ways of getting from Liverpool to Madrid for the final.
    >
    > Of course, the majority of fans buying tickets officially through the club will fly in on a chartered plane, pretty much every spare plane in Europe will end up in Madrid that night. Thankfully the airport is much bigger and better equipped to handle several dozen planes than was the case in Kiev last year, which couldn’t handle anything bigger than a 737. Liverpool’s travel agents will have spent the whole day on the phone today, taking advantage of the extra day’s notice they have of the final over their opponents to secure available aircraft.

They could use that white elephant airport that got built in the middle on nowhere. Even Ryanair didn't want to fly there!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited May 2019

Even if Corbyn does stand down, there's presumably no likelihood that the Momentum-flooded membership would choose anyone who is actually electable?

It will be the same process as the 2015 and 2016 elections.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2016

The only process issue to be determined is the price of the registered supporter registration. This was famously £3 in 2015, but was set by the NEC to £20 for 2016.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    > @isam said:
    > All the money for the Royal baby name seems to be for Theodore

A tribute to Theo Walcott?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    rkrkrk said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> > @Cyclefree said:

>

> The Cold War has been over for some time. Islamist terrorism has been - and continues to be - a menace and Pakistan is one of the countries which harbours it. It is not a country which ought to be lavished with foreign aid while behaving in an uncivilised way. If foreign aid is meant to be part of our soft power, what the hell are we getting from it re Pakistan?

>

>

>

> I'm not sure that, for instance, stopping funding girls' education is going to have the effect you're hoping for.

>

> Wouldn’t we do better using the money to stop girls of Pakistani heritage born here being taken out of education and sent off to marry “cousins” in Pakistan? To educate their parents that this is a no-no? To educate some of the men here about how to treat women: both Asian and white? Etc

>

> How much of or foreign aid is actually going to help girls’ education? And to what end? Girls are still being raped as a punishment for crimes committed by men. Little point changing girls’ expectations if the expectations of the men around them and the laws preventing them from living a full life haven’t changed.

> .

I think we do all of those things in some form or another.

Girls' education is a major spending priority for DFID. I think there's a lot of point in educating girls even if the culture they live in is very repressive. In some ways, that's how you get the culture to change.

I"m very much in favour of helping girls. But with the amount we give we should be putting pressure on re unacceptable laws / behaviour as well.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It will be the same process as the 2015 and 2016 elections.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2016
    In contrast to the thread header, Jeremy was a serial WINNER in those contests :smile:
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, better than Alvin.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > Stodge, so you agree with me then that the Conservatives may well come 4th in Peterborough?

I would be surprised by that. It will be interesting to see whether the people of Peterborough are as obsessed with Brexit as the commentatiat assumes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Jeez. Surely the 1922 has to end this now? No.10 seem to be saying 'nothing has changed'.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998

Jeez. Surely the 1922 has to end this now? No.10 seem to be saying 'nothing has changed'.

Well, they are technically correct.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

> @isam said:

>

Brexit Wars.
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:

> Yes that could well be how it works out. Though it is not impossible it could be the opposite. People might decide they aren't interested in a proxy-referendum and vote Lab/Con leaving both EU poles deflated.

Nobody knows - but soon we will.

For all the polls, the surveys, the vox pops, the panel shows, the sounding off by politicians and pundits, we do not have the answer to the big question -

Are we still a nation that wants to leave the European Union?

The Euros, then Peterborough with the Brexit Party and an (effective) Remain Party candidate, these are people casting actual votes in elections that look like quasi Refs, not exactly of course, but close enough (IMO) such that if there is a clear answer to the above question it will be revealed.

MASSIVE few weeks coming up!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @kinabalu said:
    > > @Recidivist said:
    >
    > > Yes that could well be how it works out. Though it is not impossible it could be the opposite. People might decide they aren't interested in a proxy-referendum and vote Lab/Con leaving both EU poles deflated.
    >
    > Nobody knows - but soon we will.
    >
    > For all the polls, the surveys, the vox pops, the panel shows, the sounding off by politicians and pundits, we do not have the answer to the big question -
    >
    > Are we still a nation that wants to leave the European Union?
    >
    > The Euros, then Peterborough with the Brexit Party and an (effective) Remain Party candidate, these are people casting actual votes in elections that look like quasi Refs, not exactly of course, but close enough (IMO) such that if there is a clear answer to the above question it will be revealed.
    >
    > MASSIVE few weeks coming up!

It also might be that people wish to discuss other issues!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That tweet should say 'drawn to Jeremy Corbyn's Labour party'.

No evidence that any of this sick crap was attracted to Labour under previous leaders.
  • Options
    > @Sandpit said:
    > Can anyone tell me the latest rules on Labour leadership elections?
    >
    >
    >
    > Even if Corbyn does stand down, there's presumably no likelihood that the Momentum-flooded membership would choose anyone who is actually electable?
    >
    > It will be the same process as the 2015 and 2016 elections.
    > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2016
    >
    > The only process issue to be determined is the price of the registered supporter registration. This was famously £3 in 2015, but was set by the NEC to £20 for 2016.

So the proposed changes introduced to the NEC at the tail end of last year, have not yet become enforced?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1126098067885887489

1922 to pull the plug at 5pm then? :D
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Scott_P said:
    Ask the leader. He promoted a book which set out similar arguments to those used by the Nazi leadership about Jewish financiers promoting wars. Why should this sort of rubbish be a concern?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > > @Sandpit said:
    > > Can anyone tell me the latest rules on Labour leadership elections?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Even if Corbyn does stand down, there's presumably no likelihood that the Momentum-flooded membership would choose anyone who is actually electable?
    > >
    > > It will be the same process as the 2015 and 2016 elections.
    > > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labour_Party_(UK)_leadership_election,_2016
    > >
    > > The only process issue to be determined is the price of the registered supporter registration. This was famously £3 in 2015, but was set by the NEC to £20 for 2016.
    >
    > So the proposed changes introduced to the NEC at the tail end of last year, have not yet become enforced?
    >

The changes make it easier, don't they - reducing the nomination threshold from 15% to 10%, IIRC?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    GIN1138 said:

> @Scott_P said:

>

1922 to pull the plug at 5pm then? :D
    What’s that phrase, piss and wind?

:D
  • Options

Cookie said:

> @isam said:

>

Brexit Wars.
    It started with the (threat of) taxation of trade routes in the outer rim (of Europe)...
  • Options
    May's aim is to stay long enough to **** up the next stage of leaving the EU.
  • Options
    > @Recidivist said:
    > On topic, with reference to Corbyn's serial loseriness, quiz question: which of Labour's post-war leaders made net gains in Westminster by-elections? Obviously, Corbyn (0 gains, 1 loss) isn't among them. It's a surprisingly short list.
    >
    > I think I read that Attlee did that?

Attlee did make net gains as Labour leader but they were packed entirely within the first four of his 20 years as leader (i.e. 1935-9). His record in by-elections post-war was pretty dismal.

The answers (also given downthread) are Gaitskell and Kinnock. That's all. Blair and Wilson also made net gains in opposition but had these cancelled out in government.
  • Options
    > @Dura_Ace said:
    > Jeez. Surely the 1922 has to end this now? No.10 seem to be saying 'nothing has changed'.
    >
    > Well, they are technically correct.

1300 ex-Tory councillors might disagree (actually more than that because there were some Con gains as well as a lot of losses).
  • Options
    The mock up of the temporary chamber on a Guido looks like a pretty nice copy of the original. Glad they didn’t opt for something more modern (perish the thought).
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Has anyone asked the Greens if they wish to be part of this Remain Alliance? Cos, I can see very little else they have in common with CUK, and not a great deal with the LDs. And they seem to have done commendably well in the Locals on precious little budget or publicity.
    Heard a Green spokesperson the other day making the very same point on R4.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Has anyone asked the Greens if they wish to be part of this Remain Alliance? Cos, I can see very little else they have in common with CUK, and not a great deal with the LDs. And they seem to have done commendably well in the Locals on precious little budget or publicity.

Heard a Green spokesperson the other day making the very same point on R4.

Ah, splitters! Let’s hope all three parties stand. :D
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019
    Having looked at the seat more deeply, I have a feeling the Rebel Scum or whatever they’re calling themselves today may end up hurting the Tories more than Labour in Peterborough.

The Labour Remain areas here are likely to be tribally loyal. They’re Remainers because they are Labour, not the other way round. The strong Remain Tory areas on the other hand resisted the Labour advance in 2017.

What would hurt Labour here is peeling off da yoof vote. Dangerous to assume being Remain-ultra will do it, probably it would take a hard left candidate.

This is what I mean when I say someone like Galloway standing against them would probably help TBP.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Surprised he found the time given his eight jobs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    About time. Pretty silly to keep up the pretence for this long. Next step each blames the other, euros go not great for labour but apocalyptically bad for the Tories, labour say a GE is needed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

About time. Pretty silly to keep up the pretence for this long. Next step each blames the other, euros go not great for labour but apocalyptically bad for the Tories, labour say a GE is needed.
    I can only assume a deal is hours away given Peston’s Tweet.
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Has anyone asked the Greens if they wish to be part of this Remain Alliance? Cos, I can see very little else they have in common with CUK, and not a great deal with the LDs. And they seem to have done commendably well in the Locals on precious little budget or publicity.
    > Heard a Green spokesperson the other day making the very same point on R4.

The Greens have probably done very well out of being talked about as an alternative Lib Dem party, but one which likes rabbits rather than one which does nasty things to students. The last thing they should do is start talking about their policies. Given their usual strategic ineptitude, this is therefore what they will probably do.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,928
    Latest Democrat polls

<i>Tuesday, May 7
    Race/Topic (Click to Sort) Poll Results Spread
    2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination Morning Consult Biden 40, Sanders 19, Warren 8, Harris 7, Buttigieg 6, O'Rourke 5, Booker 3, Klobuchar 2, Gabbard 1, Castro 1, Yang 1, Ryan 1, Inslee 0 Biden +21

Monday, May 6
    Race/Topic (Click to Sort) Poll Results Spread
    2020 Democratic Presidential Nomination The Hill/HarrisX Biden 46, Sanders 14, Warren 7, Harris 6, Buttigieg 8, O'Rourke 3, Booker 3, Klobuchar 0, Gabbard 1, Castro 1, Yang 1, Ryan 1, Inslee 1 Biden +</i>
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

May and Jezza arguing over NHS. Jezza banging on about how the Tories voted against it in 1940s.

Utterly dire stuff again.

Blimey. I know most of our politicians are obsessed with the past one way or another, but come on.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Has anyone asked the Greens if they wish to be part of this Remain Alliance? Cos, I can see very little else they have in common with CUK, and not a great deal with the LDs. And they seem to have done commendably well in the Locals on precious little budget or publicity.
    > Heard a Green spokesperson the other day making the very same point on R4.

The smaller parties have been trying to be pragmatic. Of course they have distinctive bases, but they know that sometimes it's necessary to make tactical decisions. In the case of Peterborough, the Greens know they won't win and they appreciate the dangers of acting as a spoiler.

Having said that, the formation of a remain alliance may make things worse in this by-election. If the small parties stood separately, they'd probably all be squeezed and Labour would get in. Fielding a single, viable candidate will split the Left-leaning and Remain vote, and potentially let Farage in.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    > @RobD said:
    > https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1126128960780292096
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1126129401307881473
    >
    >
    >
    > It boggles the mind why May agreed to this.

I don't like Maduro, but if Pompeo hates him, let me have another think. More seriously, I think the collapse of the opposition coup against an indisputably dreadful government is partly due to its embrace by the US. Disliking your government is one thing, wanting to help a foreign country to overthrow it is something else.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @kle4 said:
    > May and Jezza arguing over NHS. Jezza banging on about how the Tories voted against it in 1940s.
    >
    >
    >
    > Utterly dire stuff again.
    >
    > Blimey. I know most of our politicians are obsessed with the past one way or another, but come on.

It's being obsessed with the past that led us to Brexit. They think if we go back to the past we'll have an empire again #Fruitcakes
This discussion has been closed.