Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Bollocks to Brexit!” will be a net vote gainer not a vote los

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Scott_P said:

Nigel Fucking Farage was on Question Time last night, so of course he is also on Marr on Sunday.

You’re acting like one of those homophobes whose anger is borne of repression! 😂
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    edited May 2019
    On topic as a Leaver I am in no position to judge whether this slogan will help or hinder the Lib Dems but as someone who owns and happily wore a 'Bollocks to Blair' T shirt I think both slogans have an appealing snappiness and irreverence to them that should not do the Lib Dems any harm at all.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Scott_P said:

Nigel Fucking Farage was on Question Time last night, so of course he is also on Marr on Sunday.

I have no idea what the BBC think they are doing with all this wall-to-wall Farage coverage. I am minded to think they seek to curry favour with their increasingly older age demographic.

What about the broadcasting rules during an election period?

Is any other party leader going to be on QT and Marr in same 7 day period (and no doubt numerous interviews on Today programme)?

BBC will rue the day.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @Scott_P said:
    > Nigel Fucking Farage was on Question Time last night, so of course he is also on Marr on Sunday.

Scrap the TV tax, that’s what I say.
  • Options
    Who should one complain to about BBC excessive coverage of Farage? OfCom or Electoral Commission?

Because I'm seriously pissed off with this now.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    > @PClipp said:
    > > @bigjohnowls said:
    > > Who are the LDs?
    >
    > The Lib Dems are the ones who took hundreds of seats off the Conservatives earlier this month.
    >
    > Do try to keep up, Mr Owls!

I am a LD for the Euro elections.. but only for that!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    > @Theuniondivvie said:

> Perhaps Farage & Trump are libertarians in the way Carl Benjamin is a classical liberal.

Classical Liberal. Toby Young is one of those. It actually says so on his Twitter Bio. More than that, it is literally the only thing on his Bio, those 2 words, Classical Liberal.

"Toby Young
    @ toadmeister

Classical Liberal"

That's it.

Implication being that it does not merely describe his politics it defines his very essence.
  • Options
    PloppikinsPloppikins Posts: 126
    It won't just be the slogan 'bollocks to brexit' that boosts the LDs into 2nd or 3rd in the euros. It'll be the ineptitude of CUK and the lack of other options for Tory and Lab remainers.

I'll be interested how the nationalist parties do in their respective countries.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    Cyclefree said:

> @RightChuck said:

> > @RightChuck said:

>

> > "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."

>

>

>

> You know, for certain, do you, that all those 17.4 million are still of the view that they were 3 years ago?

>

> If you'd like to suggest a more accurate number you're welcome.

>

> What I would say is that those who call for a second referendum on the grounds that people might have changed their minds are conspicuously those who haven't changed their minds in the slightest. Why they're so sure that other people will have done what they themselves will never do is somewhat mysterious to me, but then people are strange.

>

> I do know people, and of people, who voted remain but have changed to leave, but I wouldn't dream of pretending that that gave me an insight into the likely outcome of another vote.

That is simply not true. The people I know who have changed their minds are leavers who would now vote to Remain.

I don't know what the outcome of a second referendum would be. But I wonder why those keen to rely on the Will of the People are so reluctant to ask the People whether they have the same views as they did three years ago.

It strikes me that they are scared that the answer might not be the same. Because, as I have written in a recent thread header, the substantive arguments for Brexit seem to have utterly fallen away and the only one left is a three-year old vote.

In a pre-Brexit period, I find the view that any of the substantive arguments in favour of Brexit have been tested, let alone fallen away, to be an odd one.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I have no idea what the BBC think they are doing with all this wall-to-wall Farage coverage. I am minded to think they seek to curry favour with their increasingly older age demographic.

Is any other party leader going to be on QT and Marr in same 7 day period (and no doubt numerous interviews on Today programme)?

BBC will rue the day.
    This is like 2014 and 15 all over again. The constant frenzy to stop Farage being on tv! If he’s such a Nazi, surely exposure will be the best disinfectant a la Nick Griffin?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

BBC will rue the day.
    Perhaps as Farage is (as so many Remainers say) a deeply unappealing boor, they mean to feature him heavily to put people off voting for him.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Scott_P said:

I don't know why you're complaining, he wasn't very good on QT anyway.
  • Options

> @Theuniondivvie said:

> I think we have a replacement for ridiculously self conscious posed pics Gavin.

>

>

..and appearing on tonight's edition of "I am a lightweight get me out here..."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

In a pre-Brexit period, I find the view that any of the substantive arguments in favour of Brexit have been tested, let alone fallen away, to be an odd one.

You think the jury is still out on Gove's prediction that Brexit would be "a galvanising, liberating, empowering moment of patriotic renewal"?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/19/brexit-could-spark-democratic-liberation-of-continent-says-gove
  • Options
    > @Nigel_Foremain said:

> It is why he is such good friends with his British counterpart, and fellow Putin admirer, Mr Farridge.

Farridge must be stopped.

Is it too late? No, but it might be if he smashes the Euros and then wins Peterborough.

Oh god. We joke but we shouldn't - since it will be no joke if he gets lift off.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

BBC will rue the day.
    This is like 2014 and 15 all over again. The constant frenzy to stop Farage being on tv! If he’s such a Nazi, surely exposure will be the best disinfectant a la Nick Griffin?
    I don't mind he being on. But I do mind it not being fair wrt to other leaders and parties. Seems to me the broadcasting election rules are being broken this month.

There is also the issue of why no other Brexit Party person ever seems to appear. It is a total one man show. If they did then no doubt one of these new candidates with no experience would blurt out some truth or other. But the BBC should insist. Why are they not featuring say Tice on Marr? Why is it alway always Farage?
  • Options

You think the jury is still out on Gove's prediction that Brexit would be "a galvanising, liberating, empowering moment of patriotic renewal"?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/19/brexit-could-spark-democratic-liberation-of-continent-says-gove
    By definition, yes, it must be. Though I don't agree with Gove, or class his argument as one of the substantive arguments in favour of Brexit.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Who should one complain to about BBC excessive coverage of Farage? OfCom or Electoral Commission?

I can't stand him myself, but like it or not, he's leading the party that's likely to win the forthcoming elections.
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

BBC will rue the day.
    I don't mind he being on. But I do mind it not being fair wrt to other leaders and parties. Seems to me the broadcasting election rules are being broken this month.

There is also the issue of why no other Brexit Party person ever seems to appear. It is a total one man show. If they did then no doubt one of these new candidates with no experience would blurt out some truth or other. But the BBC should insist. Why are they not featuring say Tice on Marr? Why is it alway always Farage?
    Because he was available? You'd have the leader if you could get him. Unless it's Widdecombe who I believe has been on a few things.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I can't stand him myself, but like it or not, he's leading the party that's likely to win the forthcoming elections.
    It doesn't matter if he is polling 99%.

The rules are in place to give equal access to competing parties during election periods.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Theuniondivvie said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > So here's the state of play at L Towers.
    > > >
    > > > 1. I am really pissed off (apparently this sort of language is ok now) that we have not yet left the EU. Although there is plenty of blame to go around I think May has to take the lion's share because she is, however notionally, in charge. I am not minded to vote for her or her party in light of this major incompetence and failure.
    > > >
    > > > 2. I have always accepted that the relatively close nature of the vote plus traditional British pragmatism meant that we we should have a relatively soft Brexit with a continuing close trading relationship with the EU and several areas of bilateral cooperation. In my view May's deal achieves as much of this as can be done at the moment since the EU refused to talk about a lot of things until we had actually left. In short I support her deal.
    > > >
    > > > 3. This (along with a long list of other things tbh) gives me a problem with the Brexit Party because they don't support the deal. Voting for them is voting for a no deal Brexit. See 2.
    > > >
    > > > It is the failure of 1. that is requiring these elections to take place at all. I frankly think the Tories should be punished for that and have little doubt that they will be. Bigly. Most of that punishment is going to come as a reward for the Brexit party. Although that gives a clear message it is not a message I actually agree with. I am torn between voting Tory to support the deal and not voting at all in protest. I don't have anyone in this election, which I did not want, that I actively want to vote for.
    > >
    > > Vote Willie, give in to your vestigial SDP urges.
    >
    > I think not, even although Fred McIntosh, number 2 on their list, is a friend of mine and a jolly decent chap.

I'm in much the same position as you DavidL.
    Tbh, I was slightly surprised to find the SDP still in existence; yet more so that they now appear to occupy the position my heart, if not my head, is in politically. (The thing being with microparties and unknown candidates being that you can project all your hopes onto them, unthwarted by their actions, which are invisible.) But they are tiny, and possibly not even standing in the NW.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/tedmoore44/status/1126885623024050178

You haven't noticed that for months on end QT has been dominated by Remainers?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

> @Theuniondivvie said:

> I think we have a replacement for ridiculously self conscious posed pics Gavin.

>

>

..and appearing on tonight's edition of "I am a lightweight get me out here..."
    He has jumped the shark:

https://youtu.be/ahxG3iPeVcU
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,635
    AndyJS said:

Trump and Farage are both libertarians, which is the opposite of fascism.

I like libertarians, although there is a part of me that decries "libertarians" as "social conservatives who are upset that their drugs aren't legal". But it has to be said that many of them at least *try* to live up to the noble sentiments of their party. So let us judge Trump and Farage by those sentiments.

Q: Are Trump and Farage willing to tolerate people who are law-abiding but espouse views or values that they disagree with?
    A: No. The obvious counter-example for Trump is Muslims. Trump has already advocated immigration laws that were clearly animated by anti-Muslim sentiments (that was the ground on which the first injunction against his policy was granted), so much so in fact that the later appeals by the White House lawyers were on the grounds that although *he* might be anti-Muslim, the policy was not necessarily so by virtue of its proponent's motives. With Farage I think he has the same motives but that's just my conclusion rather than in evidence, so let's go for an actual example. In the debates (GE? Ref?) Farage took a question about immigration as an opportunity to complain about people with AIDS , which is difficult to interpret in a libertarian fashion.

Being right wing and against political correctness is not sufficient to be libertarian. You do have to extent the same courtesies to those who would destroy you if free to do so. Trump and Farage don't do that.
  • Options
    Todays anecdate.

In the staff room a Sri Lankan Consultant, whose wife is a Labour activist, said to me: "Got my postal vote through, I didn't know there was an election!"

Interpretation: low turnout.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

> @rottenborough said:

>

Heidi Allen on HIGFNY tonight.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/tedmoore44/status/1126885623024050178
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You haven't noticed that for months on end QT has been dominated by Remainers?
    >
    > Heidi Allen on HIGFNY tonight.

Kleenex for Sunil!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    > @Cookie said:
    > > @rottenborough said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tedmoore44/status/1126885623024050178
    >
    > You haven't noticed that for months on end QT has been dominated by Remainers?

As ~70% of MPs are in favour of staying in, i.e. the result if they were allowed a top-secret ballot, there should be at least two interviews with Clarke, Thornberry, Grieve or Phillips for every one with Lewis or Baker.

Other groups in society are different. If the BBC wishes to interview car mechanics, or farmers, it would probably find a different balance of views.

FWIW though I spoke to a small farmer 10 minutes ago and he said 'They just need to call a halt to it, but I don't care how. Why was it ever put to a referendum if they thought it could cause us this much trouble? Absolute disaster.'

I never go near QT. AQ is slightly pro-EU but so is the R4 audience I think. This Week is probably balanced which is a lot better than BBC News.
  • Options

I think we have a replacement for ridiculously self conscious posed pics Gavin.

I know I should know this but I'm on a train and cannot be arsed. Who is this gentleman who had forgotten the first rule of male fashion (when in doubt, wear a suit) and who is increasingly in need of a hair transplant?
  • Options

Andrew said:

It doesn't matter if he is polling 99%.

The rules are in place to give equal access to competing parties during election periods.
    Soubry’s ‘party’ is polling about 1/3rd of Farages and refusing to stand in most elections, yet no one seems to mind her being on there
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @rottenborough said:
    > https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1126887122047315974

Ugh, pathetic. Do Dems even consider opposing Trump politically any more, or are their minds so warped by Seth Meyers and Stephen Colbert that this kind of stuff is all they can conceive of?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @viewcode said:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1126860643544465409
    >
    >
    >
    > I know I should know this but I'm on a train and cannot be arsed. Who is this gentleman who had forgotten the first rule of male fashion (when in doubt, wear a suit) and who is increasingly in need of a hair transplant?

Nicolas Cage before he was famous.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Nigel Fucking Farage was on Question Time last night, so of course he is also on Marr on Sunday.
    >
    > I have no idea what the BBC think they are doing with all this wall-to-wall Farage coverage. I am minded to think they seek to curry favour with their increasingly older age demographic.
    >
    > What about the broadcasting rules during an election period?
    >
    > Is any other party leader going to be on QT and Marr in same 7 day period (and no doubt numerous interviews on Today programme)?
    >
    > BBC will rue the day.

I suspect the BBC would have any party leader on who says yes - over to you Jeremy, etc.,
  • Options
    Snug jeans. Touch of the 'Blair at Camp David'?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Who should one complain to about BBC excessive coverage of Farage? OfCom or Electoral Commission?
    >
    > Because I'm seriously pissed off with this now.
    >
    >
    > I can't stand him myself, but like it or not, he's leading the party that's likely to win the forthcoming elections.
    >
    >
    > It doesn't matter if he is polling 99%.
    >
    > The rules are in place to give equal access to competing parties during election periods.

Have you any evidence that other leaders have not been asked?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @viewcode said:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1126860643544465409
    >
    >
    >
    > I know I should know this but I'm on a train and cannot be arsed. Who is this gentleman who had forgotten the first rule of male fashion (when in doubt, wear a suit) and who is increasingly in need of a hair transplant?

Pretty sure it's the guy who gets killed during the ED-209 demo.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Ishmael_Z said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

I'm looking at it and I'm thinking "worst fashion runway evah". I mean, you want to go up to him and congratulate him on tying his shoelaces all by himself today, just like a big boy.

This is weird. Normally with politics stuff I consider the individual, list the possible responses, and carefully choose the most apposite. And then give up, swear a lot and make arcane Avengers/Star Trek/whatevs references. But I genuinely don't know who this guy is. It's very freeing. "Oi! Badly dressed guy! Did you get a discount at the forehead shop?!"

I am going to feel so stupid when I find out who he is... :(
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,158

Cyclefree said:

> @RightChuck said:

> > @RightChuck said:

>

>

>

>

> You know, for certain, do you, that all those 17.4 million are still of the view that they were 3 years ago?

>

>

> What I would say is that those who call for a second referendum on the grounds that people might have changed their minds are conspicuously those who haven't changed their minds in the slightest. Why they're so sure that other people will have done what they themselves will never do is somewhat mysterious to me, but then people are strange.

>

> I do know people, and of people, who voted remain but have changed to leave, but I wouldn't dream of pretending that that gave me an insight into the likely outcome of another vote.

That is simply not true. The people I know who have changed their minds are leavers who would now vote to Remain.

I don't know what the outcome of a second referendum would be. But I wonder why those keen to rely on the Will of the People are so reluctant to ask the People whether they have the same views as they did three years ago.

It strikes me that they are scared that the answer might not be the same. Because, as I have written in a recent thread header, the substantive arguments for Brexit seem to have utterly fallen away and the only one left is a three-year old vote.

I said they were no longer being put forward as the reasons for Brexit.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

I'm looking at it and I'm thinking "worst fashion runway evah". I mean, you want to go up to him and congratulate him on tying his shoelaces all by himself today, just like a big boy.

This is weird. Normally with politics stuff I consider the individual, list the possible responses, and carefully choose the most apposite. And then give up, swear a lot and make arcane Avengers/Star Trek/whatevs references. But I genuinely don't know who this guy is. It's very freeing. "Oi! Badly dressed guy! Did you get a discount at the forehead shop?!"

It’s a rare photo of James Dean
  • Options

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

:)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    HYUFD said:
    I remember the days when being 1 point behind the Conservatives would have been a big deal.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

:)
    Rodney Trotter when started calling himself ‘Rod’

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

> @RightChuck said:

> > @RightChuck said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I said they were no longer being put forward as the reasons for Brexit.
    I see. I suspect this is because those people don't want to legitimise the idea of a second referendum by reviving the referendum debate.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

It’s a rare photo of James Dean
    Presumably during his fat balding period... :)

It's bothering me now. Who is this guy? He's definitely clenching. He's got the wrong build for it: he looks as if he's going to topple over. When he hits 45 his gut will expand faster than a restaurant bill. Oh, I am annoyed: who is this random gentleman who I am gratuitously insulting on the internet for no other reason than my own selfish amusement?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
    The size of the London ballot paper is a joke thanks to the independent climate change candidates standing individually instead of as a group.

https://twitter.com/Rachel_Mantell/status/1126202742001762304
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Probably true. I had a little top up at 8.8/laid TBP at 1.15
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    > @Foxy said:
    > Todays anecdate.
    >
    > In the staff room a Sri Lankan Consultant, whose wife is a Labour activist, said to me: "Got my postal vote through, I didn't know there was an election!"
    >
    > Interpretation: low turnout.

I can’t think of a single reason to vote labour in the Euros. Anyone got something to put instead of the question mark?

UKIP - for Farage or no more Muslims
    Brexit - for Farage or Brexit
    Conservative - for Mays deal
    Labour - ?
    Lib Dem’s - Bllx to Brexit
    Green - Remainers who care mostly about environment
    CHUK- Uber remainers who won’t forgive Lib Dem’s for tuition fees
    SNP / PC - Scottish and Welsh remainers
  • Options
    Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @RobD said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > So here's the state of play at L Towers.
    >
    >
    > I think a good way to ensure that May's deal is eventually signed (because it's probably as good as it gets) is to vote for the Brexit party. A big margin for the Brexit party will send a pretty strong message to those in Westminster. That, and the arrow....

But you'd have to watch in cringing embarrassment as these fruitcakes take their seats in the European parliament. Things are going to be bad enough for the British service sector after Brexit without our reputation being tarnished further
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,280
    DavidL said:

So here's the state of play at L Towers.

1. I am really pissed off (apparently this sort of language is ok now) that we have not yet left the EU. Although there is plenty of blame to go around I think May has to take the lion's share because she is, however notionally, in charge. I am not minded to vote for her or her party in light of this major incompetence and failure.

2. I have always accepted that the relatively close nature of the vote plus traditional British pragmatism meant that we we should have a relatively soft Brexit with a continuing close trading relationship with the EU and several areas of bilateral cooperation. In my view May's deal achieves as much of this as can be done at the moment since the EU refused to talk about a lot of things until we had actually left. In short I support her deal.

3. This (along with a long list of other things tbh) gives me a problem with the Brexit Party because they don't support the deal. Voting for them is voting for a no deal Brexit. See 2.

It is the failure of 1. that is requiring these elections to take place at all. I frankly think the Tories should be punished for that and have little doubt that they will be. Bigly. Most of that punishment is going to come as a reward for the Brexit party. Although that gives a clear message it is not a message I actually agree with. I am torn between voting Tory to support the deal and not voting at all in protest. I don't have anyone in this election, which I did not want, that I actively want to vote for.

I feel much the same way as you.

I’m flirting with the SDP.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @Scott_P said:

If he is unpopular as you think he is, why the concern?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited May 2019
    > @Roger said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > >
    > >
    > > I think a good way to ensure that May's deal is eventually signed (because it's probably as good as it gets) is to vote for the Brexit party. A big margin for the Brexit party will send a pretty strong message to those in Westminster. That, and the arrow....
    >
    > But you'd have to watch in cringing embarrassment as these fruitcakes take their seats in the European parliament. Things are going to be bad enough for the British service sector after Brexit without our reputation being tarnished further

I am sure the Brexit Party will have plenty of company with Vox, Salvini's Lega Nord, the AfD, Le Pen's MEPs, the Swedish Democrats, Law and Justice etc
  • Options
    > @Roger said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @DavidL said:
    > >
    > >
    > > I think a good way to ensure that May's deal is eventually signed (because it's probably as good as it gets) is to vote for the Brexit party. A big margin for the Brexit party will send a pretty strong message to those in Westminster. That, and the arrow....
    >
    > But you'd have to watch in cringing embarrassment as these fruitcakes take their seats in the European parliament. Things are going to be bad enough for the British service sector after Brexit without our reputation being tarnished further

Roger, the fruitcake that will will be voted in will be entirely the fault of people like you continually telling people like me what a thick, racist, xenophobic little Englander I am. I may as well live down to your expectations of me.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

> @Foxy said:

> Todays anecdate.

>

> In the staff room a Sri Lankan Consultant, whose wife is a Labour activist, said to me: "Got my postal vote through, I didn't know there was an election!"

>

> Interpretation: low turnout.

I can’t think of a single reason to vote labour in the Euros. Anyone got something to put instead of the question mark?

UKIP - for Farage or no more Muslims

Brexit - for Farage or Brexit

Conservative - for Mays deal

Labour - ?

Lib Dem’s - Bllx to Brexit

Green - Remainers who care mostly about environment

CHUK- Uber remainers who won’t forgive Lib Dem’s for tuition fees

SNP / PC - Scottish and Welsh remainers

To save the NHS? That’s all they say in every election, from parish councils up, after all.
  • Options
    Roger said:

> @RobD said:

> > @DavidL said:

> > So here's the state of play at L Towers.

>

>

> I think a good way to ensure that May's deal is eventually signed (because it's probably as good as it gets) is to vote for the Brexit party. A big margin for the Brexit party will send a pretty strong message to those in Westminster. That, and the arrow....

But you'd have to watch in cringing embarrassment as these fruitcakes take their seats in the European parliament. Things are going to be bad enough for the British service sector after Brexit without our reputation being tarnished further

All the more reason to ensure they're put out to pasture asap.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?

The Lib Dems aren’t telling Leave voters to F off ! And bollocks is a lighthearted phrase , it’s really not that strong. And the Lib Dems are trying to get as many Remain votes , an EU election isn’t the time to try and convince Leave voters to change their mind . If people want some waffle and unite the country guff they should look to vote for Labour !
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?

Course it is acceptable.

I voted Lib Dem in the local elections knowing they are a bunch of shysters!

I might vote LD in the European elections as CUK seem hopeless. I had really wanted to vote CUK but to be honest I take the view it is better for them to merge or rather be assimilated by the LD....
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    felix said:

> @RightChuck said:

> "Bollocks to 17.4m people (the majority). Because we're democrats."

Agree - I'm also not convinced parading Guy Verhofstadt is the wisest move. I'm a remain supporter but he is a total tit. I'm using the new freedom of language edict from on high today as you can see.

Re running a close election in Istanbul where the winner won by only 12000 voters or 0.16 per cent is an affront to democracy and an effective dictatorship.

Re running a referendum in the UK where the winning side won by 4 per cent or 1.4 million is a demonstration of democracy.

Guy V only likes reruns when his side loses the first vote!

Just keep voting until you deliver the right result and stop voting when you do!! I could say b******s to that.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @TGOHF said:
    > >
    > > Brexit has put Sindy off for 30 years - check the polling.
    > >
    > > Ulster isn't going anywhere either.
    > >
    > > Get some actual positive arguments for staying in the EU and how £12Bn pa is great value if you want to prevent the inevitable.
    > >
    >
    > Brexit hasn't happened yet, and you're confusing opinions with tangible facts. Brexit destroys the case for the union in every nation of the UK.

Wales voted Leave just like England
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?
    >
    > The Lib Dems aren’t telling Leave voters to F off ! And bollocks is a lighthearted phrase , it’s really not that strong. And the Lib Dems are trying to get as many Remain votes , an EU election isn’t the time to try and convince Leave voters to change their mind . If people want some waffle and unite the country guff they should look to vote for Labour !

Trouble is, many people will feel that the LDs Are saying Bollox to them personally. I'd never vote LD anyway, so I don't care what they say. But if OGH says it's a plus for them, I ain't gonna argue.
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > @TGOHF said:
    > > >
    > > > Brexit has put Sindy off for 30 years - check the polling.
    > > >
    > > > Ulster isn't going anywhere either.
    > > >
    > > > Get some actual positive arguments for staying in the EU and how £12Bn pa is great value if you want to prevent the inevitable.
    > > >
    > >
    > > Brexit hasn't happened yet, and you're confusing opinions with tangible facts. Brexit destroys the case for the union in every nation of the UK.
    >
    > Wales voted Leave just like England

And being in a union with Northern Ireland is frustrating that process.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Trump and Farage are both libertarians, which is the opposite of fascism.

News to Gary Johnson the Libertarian Party candidate in the U.S. in 2016 or even the UK Libertarian Party.

Libertarians are fiscally and socially liberal and pro immigration, they want little state interference in the economy or peoples' private lives, Trump and Farage are populist authoritarians not libertarians
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

But, the voters they're aiming for are the ones who really hate people who vote Leave. They need 10-11% to win a reasonable haul of seats.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

> @rottenborough said:

>

Heidi Allen on HIGFNY tonight.
    Heidi Allen? Where? :)
  • Options

Course it is acceptable.

How about:

BOLLOCKS TO BRUSSELS

Is that acceptable?
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > The size of the London ballot paper is a joke thanks to the independent climate change candidates standing individually instead of as a group.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Rachel_Mantell/status/1126202742001762304

Bad news for the Greens having Animal Welfare top of the ballot paper. Might cost them a seat.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

But, the voters they're aiming for are the ones who really hate people who vote Leave. They need 10-11% to win a reasonable haul of seats.

True, but I’m not sure they’d understand the need to (or even want to) nuance the message for a second referendum campaign.
  • Options
    > @Nemtynakht said:
    > > @Foxy said:
    > > Todays anecdate.
    > >
    > > In the staff room a Sri Lankan Consultant, whose wife is a Labour activist, said to me: "Got my postal vote through, I didn't know there was an election!"
    > >
    > > Interpretation: low turnout.
    >
    > I can’t think of a single reason to vote labour in the Euros. Anyone got something to put instead of the question mark?
    >
    > UKIP - for Farage or no more Muslims
    > Brexit - for Farage or Brexit
    > Conservative - for Mays deal
    > Labour - ?
    > Lib Dem’s - Bllx to Brexit
    > Green - Remainers who care mostly about environment
    > CHUK- Uber remainers who won’t forgive Lib Dem’s for tuition fees
    > SNP / PC - Scottish and Welsh remainers
    >
    >
    >

Labour - to make the Socialist group the biggest in the European Parliament and take control from the EPP.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

> @Scott_P said:

If he is unpopular as you think he is, why the concern?

They don’t know how to handle his appeal.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    > @Sunil_Prasannan said:
    >
    > > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?
    >
    >
    >
    > Course it is acceptable.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How about:
    >
    > BOLLOCKS TO BRUSSELS
    >
    > Is that acceptable?

Yes, course it is acceptable.

Please tell me why you want to say that though? What would be the motivation? I am just curious.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Remainers have no motivation at present to reach out to committed Leavers. If you think that bodes ill for the country, it does.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    > > @nico67 said:
    > > > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?
    > >
    > > The Lib Dems aren’t telling Leave voters to F off ! And bollocks is a lighthearted phrase , it’s really not that strong. And the Lib Dems are trying to get as many Remain votes , an EU election isn’t the time to try and convince Leave voters to change their mind . If people want some waffle and unite the country guff they should look to vote for Labour !
    >
    > Trouble is, many people will feel that the LDs Are saying Bollox to them personally. I'd never vote LD anyway, so I don't care what they say. But if OGH says it's a plus for them, I ain't gonna argue.

As a Remainer let’s say a party had Bollocks to Brussels or Bollocks to the EU I wouldn’t take it personally . I think it’s a pretty funny term and not in the least bit offensive .
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cyclefree said:

> @RightChuck said:

> > @RightChuck said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

It’s not because of the potential answer

It’s because it would be to reward bad behaviour by implacable opponents of Brexit who have sought to prevent the government implementing the results of the vote from day 1
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    viewcode said:

Ishmael_Z said:

> @viewcode said:

>

>

>

I think it’s Raab??
  • Options
    Charles said:

It’s not because of the potential answer

It’s because it would be to reward bad behaviour by implacable opponents of Brexit who have sought to prevent the government implementing the results of the vote from day 1

Rubbish. Parliament voted by a huge majority to invoke Article 50. It is primarily pro-Brexit Conservative MPs voting against the government that has prevented the deal passing. Labour MPs have a mandate to vote against her deal based on the 2017 election.
  • Options
    > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    > Remainers have no motivation at present to reach out to committed Leavers. If you think that bodes ill for the country, it does.

It does.
  • Options
    > @Charles said:
    > > @viewcode said:
    >
    > > I think we have a replacement for ridiculously self conscious posed pics Gavin.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1126860643544465409
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I know I should know this but I'm on a train and cannot be arsed. Who is this gentleman who had forgotten the first rule of male fashion (when in doubt, wear a suit) and who is increasingly in need of a hair transplant?
    >
    >
    >
    > Nicolas Cage before he was famous.
    >
    > I'm looking at it and I'm thinking "worst fashion runway evah". I mean, you want to go up to him and congratulate him on tying his shoelaces all by himself today, just like a big boy.
    >
    > This is weird. Normally with politics stuff I consider the individual, list the possible responses, and carefully choose the most apposite. And then give up, swear a lot and make arcane Avengers/Star Trek/whatevs references. But I genuinely don't know who this guy is. It's very freeing. "Oi! Badly dressed guy! Did you get a discount at the forehead shop?!"
    >
    > I am going to feel so stupid when I find out who he is... :(
    >
    > I think it’s Raab??
    Wrong.

Clue: The right answer followed by Raab sounds like what you would order in a Bangkok brothel if you couldn't afford the full monty.
  • Options

They don’t know how to handle his appeal.

It's people who want Brexit to happen who should worry most about his appeal given that he is a huge spoiler for any sensible plan.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "Bollocks to Brexit" contributes to a coarsening of the political debate.

Of course, the LibDems are not the only ones to have made politics mean-spirited and boorish. But, they have now added their pennyworth to the vast fund of ill-feeling and rudeness.

The losers in all this are the politicians themselves -- it becomes more acceptable to behave rudely to MPs, hence for example the assaults on candidates during the local elections.

And of course, the other loser is politics itself, which should be about ideas and principles, about argument and debate.

I was probably never going to vote LibDem again anyhow, but this is just one more reason not do.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @williamglenn said:
    > They don’t know how to handle his appeal.
    >
    > It's people who want Brexit to happen who should worry most about his appeal given that he is a huge spoiler for any sensible plan.

I am pretty relaxed at his gurning face appearing all over the place. He is a divisive character and a good motivator to get out the Remain vote.

As a bonus, he will destroy the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Off topic - day 10 of 'Meat free May'. Tonight it's vegetable one-pot with lentils and quinoa(!). I'm actually enjoying it. Just as well as there is enough left for tomorrow.
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > Off topic - day 10 of 'Meat free May'. Tonight it's vegetable one-pot with lentils and quinoa(!). I'm actually enjoying it. Just as well as there is enough left for tomorrow.

You'll be voting Green before you know it :)
  • Options

"Bollocks to Brexit" contributes to a coarsening of the political debate.

Of course, the LibDems are not the only ones to have made politics mean-spirited and boorish. But, they have now added their pennyworth to the vast fund of ill-feeling and rudeness.

The losers in all this are the politicians themselves -- it becomes more acceptable to behave rudely to MPs, hence for example the assaults on candidates during the local elections.

And of course, the other loser is politics itself, which should be about ideas and principles, about argument and debate.

I was probably never going to vote LibDem again anyhow, but this is just one more reason not do.

A fair point. Difficult to sympathise with LD candidates campaigning under a "Bollocks" banner if they get egged.
  • Options

Off topic - day 10 of 'Meat free May'. Tonight it's vegetable one-pot with lentils and quinoa(!). I'm actually enjoying it. Just as well as there is enough left for tomorrow.

I’m going out on a meat buying splurge at my local farmshop butchers tomorrow.

Can’t wait.
  • Options

[swaggering] Man, I've been a vegetarian for 27 and a half years :)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

> > @nico67 said:

> > > @twistedfirestopper3 said:

> > > Bollox to Brexit is great if you really hate people who voted to Leave. Not so great if, as Mr Meeks likes to point out, you want to reach out to the other side. Is it acceptable to say "Fuck the Lib Dems"?

> >

> > The Lib Dems aren’t telling Leave voters to F off ! And bollocks is a lighthearted phrase , it’s really not that strong. And the Lib Dems are trying to get as many Remain votes , an EU election isn’t the time to try and convince Leave voters to change their mind . If people want some waffle and unite the country guff they should look to vote for Labour !

>

> Trouble is, many people will feel that the LDs Are saying Bollox to them personally. I'd never vote LD anyway, so I don't care what they say. But if OGH says it's a plus for them, I ain't gonna argue.

As a Remainer let’s say a party had Bollocks to Brussels or Bollocks to the EU I wouldn’t take it personally . I think it’s a pretty funny term and not in the least bit offensive .

Bollocks to Brussels :lol:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > > @Roger said:
    > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > @DavidL said:
    > > > > So here's the state of play at L Towers.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > I think a good way to ensure that May's deal is eventually signed (because it's probably as good as it gets) is to vote for the Brexit party. A big margin for the Brexit party will send a pretty strong message to those in Westminster. That, and the arrow....
    > >
    > > But you'd have to watch in cringing embarrassment as these fruitcakes take their seats in the European parliament. Things are going to be bad enough for the British service sector after Brexit without our reputation being tarnished further
    >
    > Roger, the fruitcake that will will be voted in will be entirely the fault of people like you continually telling people like me what a thick, racist, xenophobic little Englander I am. I may as well live down to your expectations of me.

You're Britain's finest! Public servants who save lives are forgiven for making eccentric political judgements.
  • Options
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @SandyRentool said:
    > > Off topic - day 10 of 'Meat free May'. Tonight it's vegetable one-pot with lentils and quinoa(!). I'm actually enjoying it. Just as well as there is enough left for tomorrow.
    >
    > You'll be voting Green before you know it :)

In under a fortnight, actually! Part of the electoral pact with Wor Lass in return for her voting Labour in the locals.
  • Options

> @HYUFD said:

> > @williamglenn said:

> > > @TGOHF said:

> > >

> > > Brexit has put Sindy off for 30 years - check the polling.

> > >

> > > Ulster isn't going anywhere either.

> > >

> > > Get some actual positive arguments for staying in the EU and how £12Bn pa is great value if you want to prevent the inevitable.

> > >

> >

> > Brexit hasn't happened yet, and you're confusing opinions with tangible facts. Brexit destroys the case for the union in every nation of the UK.

>

> Wales voted Leave just like England

And being in a union with Northern Ireland is frustrating that process.

Oh, well! If only Ireland wasn't partitioned in 1922...
This discussion has been closed.