Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking to the coming LD leadership contest and the potential

Comments

• Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    > @IanB2 said:
    > The other consideration is that on the assumption the LibDems are very likely to pick a woman, Labour wont enjoy being the only party that never has, which will put pressure on their post-Corbyn choice.

I thought it had been revealed on here that Long-Bailey was McDonnell's choice
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Not my fight but my advice to the Lib Dems would be to ignore CHUK. They are an irrelevance. If they want to defect to you then so be it, but I really wouldn't do deals with them.

So I guess from that perspective they should go for Davey, but if the feeling is it ought to be a woman, then I guess it will be Moran. I don't think the slap thing will do too much damage to her, but she ought to have a response ready for the obvious question as to whether it would be acceptable for a man to be a prominent political figure having committed violence against a woman.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    nico67 said:

> @isam said:

> In which Nigel Farage objects to being asked questions that he doesn't want to answer:

> https://t.co/GvyJpCUZO8

>

> No doubt if he’d slapped his missus about that would be ok, as long as he released a statement saying she was alright with it

That maybe true but a woman slapping her husband because she felt threatened is going to lose her precisely zero votes!

That’s the way of things , Layla Moran will come across as feisty and not to be messed with .

It’s not like she beat him to a pulp with a cricket bat ! I like her and she comes across very well .

The slap incident will do zero damage to her chances .

It probably would be worse for a man to say on Twitter that “sometimes a woman needs a slap” than for a woman to actually slap a man.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The Tiggers have got the leaders and the Libs have got the members. A pefect synergy.

They just need a name.........The Tggerdems' sounds like a Turkish pop song of the 90's
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/realcandaceo/status/1126515468083314689

Nutters. Are there any right wing crack-pot sites that you don't feel an affinity with?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Roger said:

The Tiggers have got the leaders and the Libs have got the members. A pefect synergy.

They just need a name.........The Tggerdems' sounds like a Turkish pop song of the 90's

A party that wants to ignore the referendum & the Corbyn landslide, won’t stand in by elections in their own seats, won’t stand in by elections in Newport or Peterborough, won’t stand in locals...

“Change Democracy”?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    edited May 2019
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > I believe strongly that Moran is the only credible candidate because she will attract media attention and she's a very strong personality. I should advise that my record is absolutely appalling on LD leadership contests. I have been a member since the party's foundation in 1987 and have never voted for the winner

Perhaps if you personally mailshotted the membership it might get Layla over the line..
  • Options
    Roger said:
    Who’ve just seen an anti trump, transsexual kill their classmate
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    The one thing that isn’t clear to me about the Moran incident is how the police ended up being involved if it was as minor as is being portrayed.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    > @Morris_Dancer said:

> May's more old-fashioned, though. She just says things that might or might not be related to the question she was asked.
    >
    > "Would you like a starter with that?"
    >
    > "I'm committed to starters, but not at any price. This is a good starter for Britain. And I never said no starter was better than a bad starter."

You missed "I've been quite clear"
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @tlg86 said:
    > Not my fight but my advice to the Lib Dems would be to ignore CHUK. They are an irrelevance. If they want to defect to you then so be it, but I really wouldn't do deals with them.
    >
    > So I guess from that perspective they should go for Davey, but if the feeling is it ought to be a woman, then I guess it will be Moran. I don't think the slap thing will do too much damage to her, but she ought to have a response ready for the obvious question as to whether it would be acceptable for a man to be a prominent political figure having committed violence against a woman.

If CHUK only get one or 2 MEPs then they are finished and will have to take whatever deal the LDs offer.

As to the Layla slapping Nick Clegg's record as an arsonist in his youth didn't impede his political career.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > Moran is a good speaker and would fire up the base. The slapping business is inconsequential. It was a minor domestic that was sensibly resolved. Less sure about the rest of her CV though.
    >
    > Can't see what's wrong with Davey myself. Apart from being less glam than the other two he seems to have excellent credentials. Is he too right wing for the base? Don't see that would do much harm with the broader electorate.
    >
    > I expect it will be Swinson, who appears a safe enough choice.

Davey was an excellent Minister (unlike Cable) during the Lb Dems finest hour which they inexplicably want to write out the history books. No wonder they don't want him.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    If Farage is ever as abusive to Layla as he was to Anna Sourbry on QT, Layla would just need to stride over to him and say "Do you feel lucky punk?"
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Roger said:

> @isam said:

>

Nutters. Are there any right wing crack-pot sites that you don't feel an affinity with?
    Calling those kids “nutters” after they’ve just seen their mate gunned down in cold blood is an incredible thing to do. It doesn’t leave you in the position to call others “crack-pots”
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The one thing that isn’t clear to me about the Moran incident is how the police ended up being involved if it was as minor as is being portrayed.

@DavidL might know, but she said that in Scotland it’s SOP in cases of domestic violence
  • Options

> @tlg86 said:

> Not my fight but my advice to the Lib Dems would be to ignore CHUK. They are an irrelevance. If they want to defect to you then so be it, but I really wouldn't do deals with them.

>

> So I guess from that perspective they should go for Davey, but if the feeling is it ought to be a woman, then I guess it will be Moran. I don't think the slap thing will do too much damage to her, but she ought to have a response ready for the obvious question as to whether it would be acceptable for a man to be a prominent political figure having committed violence against a woman.

If CHUK only get one or 2 MEPs then they are finished and will have to take whatever deal the LDs offer.

As to the Layla slapping Nick Clegg's record as an arsonist in his youth didn't impede his political career.

Although he’s now watching Facebook burn
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Mango, my apologies :p

Baffled by the view that domestic abuse is a good thing if it's a woman doing it to a man. Ok, not the most serious variety, but had a man done it the response would've been very different.
  • Options
    > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > @tlg86 said:
    > > Not my fight but my advice to the Lib Dems would be to ignore CHUK. They are an irrelevance. If they want to defect to you then so be it, but I really wouldn't do deals with them.
    > >
    > > So I guess from that perspective they should go for Davey, but if the feeling is it ought to be a woman, then I guess it will be Moran. I don't think the slap thing will do too much damage to her, but she ought to have a response ready for the obvious question as to whether it would be acceptable for a man to be a prominent political figure having committed violence against a woman.
    >
    > If CHUK only get one or 2 MEPs then they are finished and will have to take whatever deal the LDs offer.
    >
    > As to the Layla slapping Nick Clegg's record as an arsonist in his youth didn't impede his political career.

LOL! That's the first I've heard of that. How do you set fire to cacti? I guess that's what public school ***** do.

I actually thought you were going to mention his bragging regarding notches on his bedpost.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,985
    isam said:

In which Nigel Farage objects to being asked questions that he doesn't want to answer:
    https://t.co/GvyJpCUZO8

No doubt if he’d slapped his missus about that would be ok, as long as he released a statement saying she was alright with it
    Think about where your vile politics has led you.

"When you're accustomed to privilege,equality feels like oppression."
    -- Jess Rodham Philips.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

If Farage is ever as abusive to Layla as he was to Anna Sourbry on QT, Layla would just need to stride over to him and say "Do you feel lucky punk?"

Another example of “alright for some”

https://youtu.be/CRKLc7HqSx4
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

isam said:

In which Nigel Farage objects to being asked questions that he doesn't want to answer:
    https://t.co/GvyJpCUZO8

No doubt if he’d slapped his missus about that would be ok, as long as he released a statement saying she was alright with it
    Think about where your vile politics has led you.

"When you're accustomed to privilege,equality feels like oppression."
    -- Jess Rodham Philips.
    I’m sorry?
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/realcandaceo/status/1126515468083314689
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Nutters. Are there any right wing crack-pot sites that you don't feel an affinity with?
    >
    > Calling those kids “nutters” after they’ve just seen their mate gunned down in cold blood is an incredible thing to do. It doesn’t leave you in the position to call others “crack-pots”

Anyone trying to deflect attention from gun control for political reasons is a nutter. Read the right wing nonsense on the site you posted it from. Being a fan of Enoch is distasteful but this is dangerous.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Roger said:

> @isam said:

> > @isam said:

>

> >

>

>

>

>

>

> Nutters. Are there any right wing crack-pot sites that you don't feel an affinity with?

>

> Calling those kids “nutters” after they’ve just seen their mate gunned down in cold blood is an incredible thing to do. It doesn’t leave you in the position to call others “crack-pots”

Anyone trying to deflect attention from gun control for political reasons is a nutter. Read the right wing nonsense on the site you posted it from. Being a fan of Enoch is distasteful but this is dangerous.
    I am in favour of gun control, but those kids walked out of a memorial for their classmate because gun control lobbyists were cashing in on their grief.

USA Today isn’t even right wing!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1128205159539073024

Such an alliance would be a gift to the LibDems across the South. I doubt the Tories could ever win a majority as a hard Brexit party.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Seriously, if you lose you temper and slap someone over a lost computer cable at a conf of the Scottish LibDems, then you don't have the temperament to be leader.

Are you the same person, with the same temperament, you were at 31?

I'm not. I'm less angry and more in control of my emotions. People grow up.

Of course, you might be either under 30 or perhaps, like St Rumwold, you sprang from the womb fully formed and perfect, in which case my apologies. :smile:
  • Options
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @Peter_the_Punter said:
    > > Moran is a good speaker and would fire up the base. The slapping business is inconsequential. It was a minor domestic that was sensibly resolved. Less sure about the rest of her CV though.
    > >
    > > Can't see what's wrong with Davey myself. Apart from being less glam than the other two he seems to have excellent credentials. Is he too right wing for the base? Don't see that would do much harm with the broader electorate.
    > >
    > > I expect it will be Swinson, who appears a safe enough choice.
    >
    > Davey was an excellent Minister (unlike Cable) during the Lb Dems finest hour which they inexplicably want to write out the history books. No wonder they don't want him.

All parties have good ministers who wont make good leaders.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

Trying to make an issue of something the two parties involved in have agreed to draw a line under is hardly a good faith criticism.

If a man were a serial cheat on his forgiving wife, would it be unworthy to question his moral compass if he stood for leader of a party?
    I leave that up to you.
    If you're talking about Boris Johnson, there are better reasons for thinking him unfit to be a party leader.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > > @tlg86 said:
    > > > Not my fight but my advice to the Lib Dems would be to ignore CHUK. They are an irrelevance. If they want to defect to you then so be it, but I really wouldn't do deals with them.
    > > >
    > > > So I guess from that perspective they should go for Davey, but if the feeling is it ought to be a woman, then I guess it will be Moran. I don't think the slap thing will do too much damage to her, but she ought to have a response ready for the obvious question as to whether it would be acceptable for a man to be a prominent political figure having committed violence against a woman.
    > >
    > > If CHUK only get one or 2 MEPs then they are finished and will have to take whatever deal the LDs offer.
    > >
    > > As to the Layla slapping Nick Clegg's record as an arsonist in his youth didn't impede his political career.
    >
    > LOL! That's the first I've heard of that. How do you set fire to cacti? I guess that's what public school ***** do.
    >
    > I actually thought you were going to mention his bragging regarding notches on his bedpost.

I guess it was the wooden staging they were on in the greenhouse. But I'm sure the professor whose work they involved was sanguine about his little LOL! prank.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

IanB2 said:

> @AlastairMeeks said:

> Thanks for the article Golden Aspie. The Lib Dems and the TIGgers don’t have time to fight each other so they need to reach an accommodation fairly quickly. Both sides are idiotic if they think they should be avoidably opening a new front when they already have two unavoidable fronts in the main parties. As OGH says, the main question is the balance of power between the two sides and the upcoming elections should help the Lib Dems there. The opportunity to double the personnel in Parliament (with the prospect of more if further possible defectors are staying in touch with former colleagues) is a substantial prize and worth quite a bit of flexibility.

>

> It’s worth noting that the Lib Dems offer one other thing to potential new recruits: a mass membership that is enthused. With their sudden rerelevance, a virtuous circle could be in the offing. But only if the Lib Dems work out a way to make friends not war.

Sensible points. But the dynamic isn’t right now; it reminds me of the SDP in the pre-83 period, before that year’s GE forced some harsh lessons in the SDP’s direction. They (and any alliance) are hampered by some of their members obviously not being liberals and indeed some of the Labour ones still very hostile toward their old rivals.

The CUK individuals seems to have brought a lot more baggage with them and found it more difficult to project a fresh new image than did the SDP nearly forty years ago.

Perhaps there’ll be greater realism after the Euros, particularly if some of their MPs know they are now going to retire. But I think they will still hold out for a big wedge of new defectors from either Tory or Labour remainers should Brexit sink one of the larger parties. Both sides of CUK know how unhappy many of their former colleagues are.

Which is exactly why CHUK and the Lib Dems need to do the jiggy jiggy thing. CHUK have the connections to future defectors. But the Lib Dems offer potential defectors what CHUK can't - help on the ground. What exactly is holding defectors back right now? The fear of throwing away their careers. But if the Lib Dems keep rising in the polls, that fear becomes much diminished. And if they have former colleagues telling them to come in, the water's lovely, that can only help.

The big question the Lib Dems need to consider is are they prepared for their party to be transformed at the top by incomers?
    Not sure the Change crew is that big a catch. I think all they'd bring to the Lib Dems is some difficult to defend seats at the next general election which would draw resources away from more profitable targets.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    > @Charles said:
    > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    >
    >
    >
    > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    >
    >
    >
    > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    >
    >
    >
    > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    >
    > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one

He can hardly refuse permission. So it is a largely meaningless statement. All it really means is that he's not going to go public and contradict her and there may be many reasons why he might not want to do that.

I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around.

But we also need to accept that people do make bad mistakes. She appears to have done this. The police took no action. One hopes that she has learnt from this. If there are, however, other incidents of her shouting/hitting/bullying people around her, then that would suggest that her temperament may not be best suited to the role she seeks.

Anecdotally, someone I know who knows both women well prefers Swinson. TBH any of them would do so long as they make a bit of an effort, unlike Cable.

I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    > @MikeSmithson said:

>
    > My wife wife, Jacky, an LD member since the party's foundation in 1987, declared that this was was a reason to vote for her.

Another female just said the same to me, 'tho dare I say it, it would be better if she slapped him because of an 'indiscretion.'

It probably won't harm her and might do her some good. Journalists will at least keep another metre back :D

I think your (Mike) earlier post on here was spot on. If the LibDems do well next week they shouldn't be fawning to CHUK. The momentum is theirs. They are campaigning well, with some brilliant ads and slogans.

I can see the LibDems doing very, very, well next week. In fact I'll make a prediction now: both the LibDems and the Brexit Party will poll in the 20's.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    I think the individual CUK MPs do offer the Lib Dems something, which is to somewhat
    boost their MP gene pool ahead of the next election. Lib Dem MPs are mostly bound by pavement politics, as is demonstrated by the lack of leadership material in the parliamentary party. CUK MPs have created a new party over an issue that is important to Lib Dem supporters, demonstrating some gumption on their part
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Charles said:
    > > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    > >
    > > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one
    >
    > He can hardly refuse permission. So it is a largely meaningless statement. All it really means is that he's not going to go public and contradict her and there may be many reasons why he might not want to do that.
    >
    > I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around.
    >
    > But we also need to accept that people do make bad mistakes. She appears to have done this. The police took no action. One hopes that she has learnt from this. If there are, however, other incidents of her shouting/hitting/bullying people around her, then that would suggest that her temperament may not be best suited to the role she seeks.
    >
    > Anecdotally, someone I know who knows both women well prefers Swinson. TBH any of them would do so long as they make a bit of an effort, unlike Cable.
    >
    > I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.

She slapped her boyfriend and he reported it to the police. Is that what happened?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Shame it isn't Laws, Browne or another go for Clegg. Real centrists.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Cyclefree said:

>
    > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    >
    > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one

He can hardly refuse permission. So it is a largely meaningless statement. All it really means is that he's not going to go public and contradict her and there may be many reasons why he might not want to do that.

I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around.

But we also need to accept that people do make bad mistakes. She appears to have done this. The police took no action. One hopes that she has learnt from this. If there are, however, other incidents of her shouting/hitting/bullying people around her, then that would suggest that her temperament may not be best suited to the role she seeks.

Anecdotally, someone I know who knows both women well prefers Swinson. TBH any of them would do so long as they make a bit of an effort, unlike Cable.

I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.

Or Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    A LD CUK merger is so obvious and mutually beneficial it won't happen.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Recidivist said:
    > > @AlastairMeeks said:
    >
    > > Thanks for the article Golden Aspie. The Lib Dems and the TIGgers don’t have timp the Lib Dems there. The opportunity to double the personnel in Parliament (with the prospect of more if further possible defectors are staying in touch with former colleagues) is a substantial prize and worth quite a bit of flexibility.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It’s worth noting that the Lib Dems offer one other thing to potential new recruits: a mass membership that is enthused. With their sudden rerelevance, a virtuous circle could be in the offing. But only if the Lib Dems work out a way to make friends not war.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sensible points. But the dynamic isn’t right now; it reminds me of the SDP in the pre-83 period, before that year’s GE forced some harsh lessons in the SDP’s direction. They (and any alliance) are hampered by some of their members obviously not being liberals and indeed some of the Labour ones still very hostile toward their old rivals.
    >
    >
    >
    > The CUK individuals seems to have brought a lot more baggage with them and found it more difficult to project a fresh new image than did the SDP nearly forty years ago.
    >
    >
    >
    > Perhaps there’ll be greater realism after the Euros, particularly if some of their MPs know they are now going to retire. But I think they will still hold out for a big wedge of new defectors from either Tory or Labour remainers should Brexit sink one of the larger parties. Both sides of CUK know how unhappy many of their former colleagues are.
    >
    > Which is exactly why CHUK and the Lib Dems need to do the jiggy jiggy thing. CHUK have the connections to future defectors. But the Lib Dems offer potential defectors what CHUK can't - help on the ground. What exactly is holding defectors back right now? The fear of throwing away their careers. But if the Lib Dems keep rising in the polls, that fear becomes much diminished. And if they have former colleagues telling them to come in, the water's lovely, that can only help.
    >
    > The big question the Lib Dems need to consider is are they prepared for their party to be transformed at the top by incomers?
    >
    > Not sure the Change crew is that big a catch. I think all they'd bring to the Lib Dems is some difficult to defend seats at the next general election which would draw resources away from more profitable targets.

Allen's and Wollaston's seats are very defendable with no LibDem opponent. Chuka should go stand against Kate Hoey (and Inner London generally looks fertile for the LibDems so long as Labour clings to its fence). There is no harm in letting the others have a go, provided they bring sufficient supporters and resources to avoid the LibDems having to send anything their way.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Mr. B, well, it's entirely possible the bet won't come off, but if something looks too long and one doesn't back it, that's irksome (still a bit miffed by the Bottas bet I didn't back because the terms changed literally as I was making it).

And a feature of the first few races has been the market underestimating Bottas and Leclerc.

Bottas would be my outside candidate for a podium at this stage too. I think the red cars are going to be behind the Bulls in Monaco. Maybe Gasly as another long-odds outsider for a few pence.

And, of course, no safety car ;)
  • Options
    > @FF43 said:
    > I think the individual CUK MPs do offer the Lib Dems something, which is to somewhat
    > boost their MP gene pool ahead of the next election. Lib Dem MPs are mostly bound by pavement politics, as is demonstrated by the lack of leadership material in the parliamentary party. CUK MPs have created a new party over an issue that is important to Lib Dem supporters, demonstrating some gumption on their part
    >

They could also act as a gateway drug to pull Remain supporters from the two main parties towards the Lib Dems. It depends how big a realignment is on the cards.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    That Chukker charabanc looks like the sort of dubious coach that gets dragged out for an emergency rail-replacement bus service.

Why don't they just give up?

On topic: I think Moran is the best option for the LibDems. They'll probably go for Swinson.
  • Options
    Maybe Osborne will run :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    The LibDems should ignore the Chukkers as an irrelevance in the same way that The Brexit Party is ignoring UKIP.

The LibDems are back in the game, and faffing about with a rag-tag bunch of turncoats with no long term future would just be a distraction.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    > @El_Capitano said:
    >
    > Are you the same person, with the same temperament, you were at 31?
    >
    > I'm not. I'm less angry and more in control of my emotions. People grow up.
    >
    > Of course, you might be either under 30 or perhaps, like St Rumwold, you sprang from the womb fully formed and perfect, in which case my apologies. :smile:

But, we have seen lots of people impaled for things they said in their younger days -- e.g., Jared O'Mara. And not just in politics!

I guess I missed the LibDems spirited defence of Jared. Perish the thought that they are main challengers for Labour in that seat .... and so were happy to join in the attack.

No helpful, sympathetic El Capitano saying all this happened in Jared's younger days.

The Layla Slap must have been the most exciting thing to happen at a Scottish Liberal conference since Henry Campbell-Bannerman shaved off his bushy horsehair beard.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Jonathan said:

I really struggle to see what the LDs would get out of it.

MPs? They’ve demonstrated they are politically incompetent. Donors? I’m sure they’re already wishing they had sent their money elsewhere.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Cyclefree said:

“Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.

It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one.

I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around

It's the "because I felt threatened" that is problematic. Surely that means there was threatening behaviour by one of the parties?
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > That Chukker charabanc looks like the sort of dubious coach that gets dragged out for an emergency rail-replacement bus service.
    >
    > Why don't they just give up?
    >
    >
    > On topic: I think Moran is the best option for the LibDems. They'll probably go for Swinson.

It's already been labelled "The austerity bus".
  • Options
    > @Roger said:
    >
    > She slapped her boyfriend and he reported it to the police. Is that what happened?

I don't think we fully know what happened, actually.

My understanding is that "others" reported it to the police.

Presumably other Liberal Democrats, as I can't imagine anyone else would be at a tiny Scottish Liberal Democrat conference.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    DavidL said:

Davey was an excellent Minister (unlike Cable) during the Lb Dems finest hour which they inexplicably want to write out the history books. No wonder they don't want him.

David Cameron screwed the Lib Dems over. No-one likes being made fools of.

Cameron shat in his own bed as it turned out.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @Jonathan said:
    > A LD CUK merger is so obvious and mutually beneficial it won't happen.

Far from obvious that the Lib Dems should water down their brand with these losers.
  • Options
    Where do they get these people!always write in the active voice, avoid conditionals and negatives!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

No helpful, sympathetic El Capitano saying all this happened in Jared's younger days.

Ha, fair point. I do actually have a lot of sympathy for O'Mara over his early Internet postings. They were crass but he was a kid, and by all accounts a slightly awkward kid trying to ingratiate himself in a working class environment. I have less sympathy for him over the 2017 nightclub allegations, which were a couple of months before he was elected.

In any case he managed to rid the Lib Dems of Clegg, the leader who took the party down from 57 seats to 8 and tarnished its image greatly, so - thanks Jared!
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Charles said:
    > > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    > >
    > > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one
    >
    > He can hardly refuse permission. So it is a largely meaningless statement. All it really means is that he's not going to go public and contradict her and there may be many reasons why he might not want to do that.
    >
    > I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around.
    >
    > But we also need to accept that people do make bad mistakes. She appears to have done this. The police took no action. One hopes that she has learnt from this. If there are, however, other incidents of her shouting/hitting/bullying people around her, then that would suggest that her temperament may not be best suited to the role she seeks.
    >
    > Anecdotally, someone I know who knows both women well prefers Swinson. TBH any of them would do so long as they make a bit of an effort, unlike Cable.
    >
    > I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.

One of the most stupid comments ever made on here. If I could understand the new arrow system I'd know who made it.
  • Options
    Just remembered what the ChUK PPB reminded me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4EjX_bywCU
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > The LibDems should ignore the Chukkers as an irrelevance in the same way that The Brexit Party is ignoring UKIP.
    >
    > The LibDems are back in the game, and faffing about with a rag-tag bunch of turncoats with no long term future would just be a distraction.

I agree with that.

The LibDems would get some more MPs, but they look more trouble than they are worth. They either have inflated egos (Chuka), or they are blundering mediocrities
    (Funny Tinge Woman) or frothing monsters (Soubry).

Avoid.

Everyone else has written the Chukkers off. So should the LibDems.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I really struggle to see what the LDs would get out of it.

MPs? They’ve demonstrated they are politically incompetent. Donors? I’m sure they’re already wishing they had sent their money elsewhere.
    Agree. Let them crawl.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, the Monaco safety car is like waiting to buy a next-gen console: I always pick the wrong option [the slim version almost always comes out 6-12 months after I've bought the old, fat version].

Bottas has very short odds. About 2.5 or so for the win. He and Hamilton are clear favourites, with Verstappen 5.5 and the Ferraris in double digits.

Mr. Glenn, that leaflet's horrendously written. It's an obvious and easy mistake to make when reading.

However, not only down to the writer, but whoever is meant to check.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

I don't think one should dismiss as unimportant violence from a woman against her partner, just as one shouldn't if it were the other way around

It's the "because I felt threatened" that is problematic. Surely that means there was threatening behaviour by one of the parties?
    Nah - it’s an excuse.

It’s 100% subjective - not “I was threatened”
  • Options
    @Roger said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @Charles said:
    > > > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    > > >
    > > > > >
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    > > >
    > > > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.
    >
    > One of the most stupid comments ever made on here. If I could understand the new arrow system I'd know who made it.

I made it @Roger. I would like the Lib Dems to do well, having just voted for them in the euro elections. I despair of the way Britain is going with people like Farage doing well and the normalisation of anti-semitism and anti-migrant sentiment (as has happened in Hungary - Orban - and in France - with Le Pen) and people like Widdecombe talking rubbish. I do not want this spread here anymore than it has already.

Not sure what you find stupid about such statements. But each to their own, eh!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > Prediction: Moran will stand. And win.
    >
    > And be epically awful.

Maybe - though I was very unimpressed with Swinson on the Local Elections results programme.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Nah - it’s an excuse.

The problematic bit for me was precisely that. Although of course we weren't there and don't know the facts, etc.
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, the Monaco safety car is like waiting to buy a next-gen console: I always pick the wrong option [the slim version almost always comes out 6-12 months after I've bought the old, fat version].

Bottas has very short odds. About 2.5 or so for the win. He and Hamilton are clear favourites, with Verstappen 5.5 and the Ferraris in double digits.

Sounds like the odds are about right then. Damn.

I’m going to do some research on Monaco results in the next couple of days. My working assumption is that it’s not as crazy a race as we think it is, at least as far as the first few places are concerned. I think a value bet might be for those starting 15th-ish to score points.
  • Options
    Roger said:

One of the most stupid comments ever made on here. If I could understand the new arrow system I'd know who made it.

Get yourself over to vanilla, Rog - easy peasy to sort out the quotes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

That won’t help. He thinks a US website that has only once spoken in a partisan way, to criticise Trump, is a right wing crackpot platform.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, it'll probably be a boring procession, as usual.

I checked the last six results, and Perez got on the podium once, with Sainz and Perez/Hulkenberg being best of the rest and occasionally breaking into the top six. Always possible there'll be crashes, though.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Moran has a touch of the Farage about her, very marmite but could rally the anti Brexit base. Swinson is possible a safer and saner bet to broaden the Lib Dem appeal over a number of years.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    > @williamglenn said:
    > https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1128184853587951616

I guess this is the leaflet equivalent of the stage literally falling down around Theresa May's head at Con party conference a couple of years ago... :D
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    Morning all :)

I can assure the non-LDs on here none of the members I spoke to at the weekend were talking about either the leadership election or CUK. The mood is buoyant and it shouldn't be underestimated how the local election results have given a huge boost to the Party's confidence and belief in its campaigning.

As far as the leadership is concerned, I don't have a strong view on any of the candidates - I will go to the London Hustings and hear what they have to say. Each will have their area of "support" I imagine - Ed will probably be favoured in London, Jo in Scotland and Layla in the stronger traditional areas of southern and western England.

As always, the LDs will be driven by events beyond their control - significant developments in both the Conservative and Labour parties will have an impact, positive or negative, on LD prospects but all the activists and members like me can do is work away, a seat at a time, a voter at a time if need be.

The big question at ground level is what TBP will do if they win the Euro elections and Peterborough. Would they seek to become like the other parties and organise at a constituency or local level and if they have Westminster aspirations, what is the rest of the policy platform?
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer - Do you think Monaco is any more boring than say Barcelona? I watched the first few laps on Sunday and when I came back to it at half time in the football NOTHING HAD CHANGED.

There have always been processional races, but the sport seems so tedious these days.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    TOPPING said:

Roger said:

Mixing the main site with the Vanillacommunity site is what causes incorrect attributions to comments.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

> @MarqueeMark said:

> Prediction: Moran will stand. And win.

>

> And be epically awful.

Maybe - though I was very unimpressed with Swinson on the Local Elections results programme.

I find it hard to believe either of you would ever be impressed by a Lib Dem leader.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1128219997183062016

"We're Out" !!!!

"We're Not Out" !!!

:D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @isam said:

>

"We're Out" !!!!

"We're Not Out" !!!

:D
    There is such a treasure trove of Remain politicians saying there wouldn’t be a 2nd referendum and that it would be disrespectful to campaign for one etc, that The Brexit Party won’t be able to use it all in time.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, to be fair, there was a crash late on which brought out a safety car, a rash of pit stops, and some excitement towards the end (Grosjean going backwards and just about keeping 10th).

It's very hard to overtake in Spain, though not as hard as in Monaco. However, the rumour mill indicates we may not be returning to Barcelona, whereas the tedium of Monaco is guaranteed.
  • Options
    The Brexit death cult in the Tory party actively seems to be willing its own destruction.

https://twitter.com/lucyallan/status/1128053185921388544
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    The Brexit Party and Lib Dems have an interest in maintaining a healthy symbiotic relationship being explicitly in/out parties.

They both have minor parties to wallop on the same side - Greens/CHUK for the yellow peril and UKIP/various brexity independents for the Brexit party.

Both have a pale remain/leave shade in the two main parties (Labour for the Lib Dems, Tories for the Brexit Party)

I wonder if ultimately both might succeed...
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > @Roger said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > @Charles said:
    > > > > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    > > > >
    > > > > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.
    > >
    > > One of the most stupid comments ever made on here. If I could understand the new arrow system I'd know who made it.
    >
    > I made it @Roger. I would like the Lib Dems to do well, having just voted for them in the euro elections. I despair of the way Britain is going with people like Farage doing well and the normalisation of anti-semitism and anti-migrant sentiment (as has happened in Hungary - Orban - and in France - with Le Pen) and people like Widdecombe talking rubbish. I do not want this spread here anymore than it has already.
    >
    > Not sure what you find stupid about such statements. But each to their own, eh!

If the best examples you can find are Hungary and France then you haven't travelled enough if at all.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1128219997183062016
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "We're Out" !!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "We're Not Out" !!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > :D
    >
    > There is such a treasure trove of Remain politicians saying there wouldn’t be a 2nd referendum and that it would be disrespectful to campaign for one etc, that The Brexit Party won’t be able to use it all in time.

They'll be able to save a lot of up for the general election (whenever it happens)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

Mr. 86, to be fair, there was a crash late on which brought out a safety car, a rash of pit stops, and some excitement towards the end (Grosjean going backwards and just about keeping 10th).

It's very hard to overtake in Spain, though not as hard as in Monaco. However, the rumour mill indicates we may not be returning to Barcelona, whereas the tedium of Monaco is guaranteed.

Not at all.
    If it rains during the race (which it just might), then it can be fun.

I'd keep an eye on the forecast before betting.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    On topic:

I've gone from having a slight preference for Swinson over Moran - to a position where Swinson would have to do something pretty awful between now and the election to not get my first preference. She just seems the obvious choice to me - now that things are starting to improve for the party it seems the time to build upon success rather than take risks. I wouldn't be unhappy if Moran won but she would be a bit risky.
  • Options
    Mr. B, that's a good point.

Been a while since we had a wet Monaco though.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > The Brexit Party and Lib Dems have an interest in maintaining a healthy symbiotic relationship being explicitly in/out parties.
    >
    > They both have minor parties to wallop on the same side - Greens/CHUK for the yellow peril and UKIP/various brexity independents for the Brexit party.
    >
    > Both have a pale remain/leave shade in the two main parties (Labour for the Lib Dems, Tories for the Brexit Party)
    >
    > I wonder if ultimately both might succeed...

I'm starting to think they could. The problem for the Tories and Labour is that they're now both in trouble at the same time. Eventually the traditional "vote X to stop Y" effect could transfer to the Brexit Party and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kyf_100 said:

> @Drutt said:

> Talking of getting on board; ding ding. Here comes the CUK bus:

>

>

The only way that design could be worse is if they used Comic Sans.
    I know it shouldn't really matter, and that I'm not exactly a suppoter, but holy cow it is hard to believe somebody looked at that and thought "job done". I'm 99% sure you could go on Fiverr and get something better.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Pulpstar">Test</blockquote>
  • Options
    edited May 2019

One of the dullest, yet most well liked races on the calendar.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Test

Hmm
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, don't blame me, I'm in the minority who dislike Monaco intensely. It's slow and hard to pass almost to the point of impossibility.

Was fun last year, though, hearing the drivers whine about how boring it was. Welcome to the club, thought I.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Nah - it’s an excuse.

The problematic bit for me was precisely that. Although of course we weren't there and don't know the facts, etc.
    Sorry - thought you were implying here behaviour was ok because she felt threatened
  • Options
    > @Roger said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Roger said:
    > > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > > @Charles said:
    > > > > > > @YBarddCwsc said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > > Her statement was agreed by her ex partner Richard.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > > Citation, please. What did the boyf agree ?
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It is in the first paragraph of her statement:
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://twitter.com/LaylaMoran/status/1109528327453331456
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > “Permission to share our story” sounds like a very precise wording.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It is NOT an endorsement ... but is intended to sound like one
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > I would like the Lib Dems to be a bit more of a force in British politics than they have been in the last 3 years. If I wanted to live in a country where politicians are nasty about Jews and migrants and talked demagogic rubbish to crowds I'd move to France or Hungary.
    > > >
    > > > One of the most stupid comments ever made on here. If I could understand the new arrow system I'd know who made it.
    > >
    > > I made it @Roger. I would like the Lib Dems to do well, having just voted for them in the euro elections. I despair of the way Britain is going with people like Farage doing well and the normalisation of anti-semitism and anti-migrant sentiment (as has happened in Hungary - Orban - and in France - with Le Pen) and people like Widdecombe talking rubbish. I do not want this spread here anymore than it has already.
    > >
    > > Not sure what you find stupid about such statements. But each to their own, eh!
    >
    > If the best examples you can find are Hungary and France then you haven't travelled enough if at all.

They were examples not a definitive list let alone the best examples. Still, if that's your idea of the most stupid comment ever made on here, your standards are a bit odd. What upset you? Was it the fact that I mentioned France, a country you are forever praising by comparison with Britain but which has a long history of repulsive Poujadism, anti-semitism and anti-migrant feeling and behaviour?

I have travelled a lot, lived in three countries before I was 11 and speak 4 languages. I am saddened by what is happening in Britain and wish it were otherwise.

If you find my comment stupid, you need to look in the mirror.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Pulpstar said:

One of the dullest, yet most well liked races on the calendar.

It’s an event much better appreciated in person than on television

Definitely one for the bucket list.

I’ve been to Singapore, that was an epic weekend. Last year of the screaming V8s reverberating around the buildings.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    glw said:

kyf_100 said:

> @Drutt said:

> Talking of getting on board; ding ding. Here comes the CUK bus:

>

>

The only way that design could be worse is if they used Comic Sans.
    I know it shouldn't really matter, and that I'm not exactly a suppoter, but holy cow it is hard to believe somebody looked at that and thought "job done". I'm 99% sure you could go on Fiverr and get something better.
    If "Vote Change UK" replaced the "For a People's Vote, For Remain" above it, I think that would look better.

But aren't we proving how great they are doing just by talking about it???!!! :D
  • Options

On topic:

I've gone from having a slight preference for Swinson over Moran - to a position where Swinson would have to do something pretty awful between now and the election to not get my first preference. She just seems the obvious choice to me - now that things are starting to improve for the party it seems the time to build upon success rather than take risks. I wouldn't be unhappy if Moran won but she would be a bit risky.

As I've said upthread, I don't have a strong view for or against any of the three of them. Ed and Jo bring more experience and arguably Ed more than Jo. Layla is the "new kid on the block" and has the virtue of not being tainted with Coalition though in a Party where three quarters of the membership joined AFTER 2015, it's much less important than you might think.

I'll go to the London Hustings with as open a mind as I can manage and see where we go. My one concern is we can't be a one-trick pony for ever and we need to define some of the challenges and solutions facing Britain (whether inside or outside the EU) in the 2020s.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @stodge said:
    > Morning all :)
    >
    > The big question at ground level is what TBP will do ... if they have Westminster aspirations, what is the rest of the policy platform?

I think they could run a pretty robust campaign on three pledges.
    1. Brexit Without Compromise.
    2. Drain The Swamp. The Westminster Elites are out of touch and in it for themselves, etc.
    3. Make Britain Great Again.

They don't need any detailed policies. Any uncomfortable questioning they face about the lack of such policies can be turned into proof of the need for point 2 - the media elite playing games to protect their MP chums.

Any doubters will be accused of doubting Britain itself.
  • Options
    > @glw said:
    >
    > I know it shouldn't really matter, and that I'm not exactly a suppoter, but holy cow it is hard to believe somebody looked at that and thought "job done". I'm 99% sure you could go on Fiverr and get something better.

The position of the bus door makes it look like a new logo for them.
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @isam said:
    > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/brexitparty_uk/status/1128219997183062016
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "We're Out" !!!!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "We're Not Out" !!!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > :D
    > >
    > > There is such a treasure trove of Remain politicians saying there wouldn’t be a 2nd referendum and that it would be disrespectful to campaign for one etc, that The Brexit Party won’t be able to use it all in time.
    >
    > They'll be able to save a lot of up for the general election (whenever it happens)

And there are plenty of examples of Leave politicians saying in 2016 saying the precise opposite of what they are saying now.

Intelligent people change their minds when the facts change. We know a lot more about what withdrawal from the EU means in practice than we did (well me, anyway) in 2016. There is no shame in saying that events have led to a change of mind.
This discussion has been closed.