Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The updated Wikipedia polling table for next week’s Euros

Comments

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1128946811400589312
    > isn't that a really confusing billboard?

Might be intentional, to get more media coverage. Billboards tend only to go up in a few locations these days, and rely on mainstream and social media for coverage.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    So, the net result of today is that May will lose her Brexit Bill. She almost certainly would have lost it anyway but this just ensures that previous Con rebels won't come on board and that Labour is almost certain to vote against too.

The new PM, probably taking office in mid-September, will then have 6 weeks to prepare for the likely No Deal fallout.

Could parliament stop a No Deal again? Perhaps, but it'd need better legislation and it'd need the EU to play ball, which it might not if the new PM wasn't interested in the previous WA and was demanding a different one that they couldn't live with.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    > @argyllrs said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1129022843436580864
    >
    > So, to get me out most quickly, it's vote against the WA. Great tactics!
    >

Yeah, Brady has made a No Deal exit more likely.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897
    Dadge said:

> @TheWhiteRabbit said:

> > @Scott_P said:

> >

> isn't that a really confusing billboard?

Might be intentional, to get more media coverage. Billboards tend only to go up in a few locations these days, and rely on mainstream and social media for coverage.
    It’s meant to be an attack on him
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Cyclefree said:

> @argyllrs said:

> > @Scott_P said:

> >

>

> So, to get me out most quickly, it's vote against the WA. Great tactics!

>

Yeah, Brady has made a No Deal exit more likely.
    Planned? :D
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > Good afternoon, my fellow Groundhog Day viewers.
    >
    > It's all a bit gloomy isn't it. The Brexit party will do well next week, the WA will be voted down again, May will resign, some Leave Muppet will become PM and will take us out of the EU with no agreement and no plan other than to sing "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker" loudly across the Channel and in just over a month's time the nights will start getting longer.

Given what some on the left have the party have said previously, isn't there a probability that if eg. Boris becomes leader, a few more Tories will transfer to Heidi Allen's lot? Then Boris is likely to lose a VoNC and we have an election. This scenario seems just as likely as him leading us to No Deal.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,176
    "Where is the microphone? I fight on. I fight to win"
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    >
    > > > @Scott_P said:
    >
    > > > https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1128946811400589312
    >
    >
    >
    > > isn't that a really confusing billboard?
    >
    >
    >
    > Might be intentional, to get more media coverage. Billboards tend only to go up in a few locations these days, and rely on mainstream and social media for coverage.
    >
    > It’s meant to be an attack on him

It is an attack on him.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,891
    Boris screwed his wife.
    Boris screwed his mistresses.
    Now Boris wants to screw the country.

Let's stop him. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dadge said:

> @isam said:

> > @TheWhiteRabbit said:

>

> > > @Scott_P said:

>

> > >

>

>

>

> > isn't that a really confusing billboard?

>

>

>

> Might be intentional, to get more media coverage. Billboards tend only to go up in a few locations these days, and rely on mainstream and social media for coverage.

>

> It’s meant to be an attack on him

It is an attack on him.
    I don’t think he comes out of it looking that bad.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Good afternoon. Has there even been a Westminster poll before with the leading party as low as 27%?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    edited May 2019
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > Boris screwed his wife.
    > Boris screwed his mistresses.
    > Now Boris wants to screw the country.
    >
    > Let's stop him. :)

If that's the best you've got, then he's our PM.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Sorry, I wont believe it until the removal van pulls away with her possessions in it.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    May will go out with a whimper if she resigns after the vote in three weeks. If she had gone when it was defeated the first time she would have been held in a decent standing.
  • Options
    So I return from cutting the hedge to find the next vote on the WA is a proxy VONC in May - but with all the other parties getting a vote too. Is that about right?

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio.......
  • Options
    > @Dadge said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > > Good afternoon, my fellow Groundhog Day viewers.
    > >
    > > It's all a bit gloomy isn't it. The Brexit party will do well next week, the WA will be voted down again, May will resign, some Leave Muppet will become PM and will take us out of the EU with no agreement and no plan other than to sing "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker" loudly across the Channel and in just over a month's time the nights will start getting longer.
    >
    > Given what some on the left have the party have said previously, isn't there a probability that if eg. Boris becomes leader, a few more Tories will transfer to Heidi Allen's lot? Then Boris is likely to lose a VoNC and we have an election. This scenario seems just as likely as him leading us to No Deal.

No government should take us out of the EU on a No Deal basis without the voters' express consent to that - either in a referendum or in a GE. This was not the basis on which the 2017 referendum was won.

I don't trust Tory MPs - even those on the left - to abandon the Tories if they elect some ERG-style leader. If they had any honour or principles they would. I fear they are scared and cowardly and are putting their personal or their party's interests before those of the country.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1128946811400589312

Most people won't stop and think about what that's actually saying... So it's just giving free advertising Farage and the Brexit Party...

REMAIN did exactly the same thing during the referendum campaign with the £350m claim.

Three years on they've leaned absolutely nothing...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    > @david_herdson said:
    > So, the net result of today is that May will lose her Brexit Bill. She almost certainly would have lost it anyway but this just ensures that previous Con rebels won't come on board and that Labour is almost certain to vote against too.
    >
    > The new PM, probably taking office in mid-September, will then have 6 weeks to prepare for the likely No Deal fallout.
    >
    > Could parliament stop a No Deal again? Perhaps, but it'd need better legislation and it'd need the EU to play ball, which it might not if the new PM wasn't interested in the previous WA and was demanding a different one that they couldn't live with.

Yes, if the WA fails again Macron likely vetoes further extension in October and if a new Tory PM tries to go for No Deal the Commons will likely vote for revoke Article 50 instead making a general election inevitable.

If the Brexit Party win the European elections and Peterborough by election as is likely though I think enough Labour MPs from Leave seats could vote for the Withdrawal Agreement for it to pass
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/nmdacosta/status/1129022463852056577

I mean it is not like the EU said 'please don't waste this time' or anything is it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @Scott_P said:

>

Most people won't stop and think about what that's actually saying... So it's just giving free advertising Farage and the Brexit Party...

REMAIN did exactly the same thing during the referendum campaign with the £350m claim.

Three years on they've leaned absolutely nothing...
    Why isn’t there a party with a positive vision of Remain? Even the Lib Dem’s are relying on attacking Brexit rather than bigging up the EU
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1129028806956724224

Hmm. Following the Second Reading - but what if the Second Reading doesn't pass?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > Good afternoon, my fellow Groundhog Day viewers.
    >
    > It's all a bit gloomy isn't it. The Brexit party will do well next week, the WA will be voted down again, May will resign, some Leave Muppet will become PM and will take us out of the EU with no agreement and no plan other than to sing "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker" loudly across the Channel and in just over a month's time the nights will start getting longer.

It could be worse. My simnel cake turned out really well this year. If cheddar imports from Ireland do fail, well, cheese has a huge carbon footprint and I shouldn't eat so much of it anyway.
  • Options
    It would I suppose be quite amusing to find a Leaver PM replacing Mrs May, going for a No Deal Brexit, refusing to pay the money we owe and then finding that their first few months in office are spent dealing with the EU's legal action against Britain, renewed unrest in Northern Ireland and traffic jams all around our ports plus the consequences of falling out of 700 agreements.

And belatedly realising that they are going to have to sign something very similar to the WA only without any of the good bits for Britain.

And then wondering when the cries of "betrayal" will start.

Perhaps "amusing" isn't quite the word.
  • Options
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1129028806956724224
    >
    > Hmm. Following the Second Reading - but what if the Second Reading doesn't pass?

Tough. Brady has booked her removals van......
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > https://twitter.com/harpercollinsuk/status/1129008809454784515?s=21

Isn't that just before conference season?

Revenge being eaten cold?
  • Options
    Why doesn't Theresa May just trigger a Con leadership election now (but stay on as PM to try and get her WA through in June)

What am I missing?
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @david_herdson said:
    > > So, the net result of today is that May will lose her Brexit Bill. She almost certainly would have lost it anyway but this just ensures that previous Con rebels won't come on board and that Labour is almost certain to vote against too.
    > >
    > > The new PM, probably taking office in mid-September, will then have 6 weeks to prepare for the likely No Deal fallout.
    > >
    > > Could parliament stop a No Deal again? Perhaps, but it'd need better legislation and it'd need the EU to play ball, which it might not if the new PM wasn't interested in the previous WA and was demanding a different one that they couldn't live with.
    >
    > Yes, if the WA fails again Macron likely vetoes further extension in October and if a new Tory PM tries to go for No Deal the Commons will likely vote for revoke Article 50 instead making a general election inevitable.
    >
    > If the Brexit Party win the European elections and Peterborough by election as is likely though I think enough Labour MPs from Leave seats could vote for the Withdrawal Agreement for it to pass

Who needs Game of Thrones, eh?
  • Options
    What? For the Record signing fee more like.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    > @Dadge said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > > Good afternoon, my fellow Groundhog Day viewers.
    > >
    > > It's all a bit gloomy isn't it. The Brexit party will do well next week, the WA will be voted down again, May will resign, some Leave Muppet will become PM and will take us out of the EU with no agreement and no plan other than to sing "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker" loudly across the Channel and in just over a month's time the nights will start getting longer.
    >
    > Given what some on the left have the party have said previously, isn't there a probability that if eg. Boris becomes leader, a few more Tories will transfer to Heidi Allen's lot? Then Boris is likely to lose a VoNC and we have an election. This scenario seems just as likely as him leading us to No Deal.

Indeed. A number of Tory MPs have said they would leave the party if Boris becomes PM - I wonder if anyone has been keeping count of how many? Grieve is one, and I think Greening also?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Damn. If Theresa had only clung on until October I'd be up. Still maybe she will...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Tory leadership election could turn into a play-off between a No Dealer and a Revoker. Only one way the swivel-eyed membership, complete with gammonite entryists, will jump in that contest.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @david_herdson said:
    > So, the net result of today is that May will lose her Brexit Bill. She almost certainly would have lost it anyway but this just ensures that previous Con rebels won't come on board and that Labour is almost certain to vote against too.
    >
    > The new PM, probably taking office in mid-September, will then have 6 weeks to prepare for the likely No Deal fallout.
    >
    > Could parliament stop a No Deal again? Perhaps, but it'd need better legislation and it'd need the EU to play ball, which it might not if the new PM wasn't interested in the previous WA and was demanding a different one that they couldn't live with.

Step One of the No Deal fallout could be the government losing its Commons majority. We could No Deal exit from the EU during a general election campaign. That would be fun.
  • Options
    Just curious - when May leaves in the next few weeks (she might yet decide that her WA is going to fail, so departs in days), who do Labour most fear as her successor?
  • Options

Just curious - when May leaves in the next few weeks (she might yet decide that her WA is going to fail, so departs in days), who do Labour most fear as her successor?

Asking for a friend? :p
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129030186886942721?s=20

She would have blown more than her nose if that's what it took to cling on for a few more weeks...
  • Options
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > Just curious - when May leaves in the next few weeks (she might yet decide that her WA is going to fail, so departs in days), who do Labour most fear as her successor?

Rory Stewart I suspect but Boris polls best
  • Options
    I guess Boris now considers that the ball has finally come lose from the scrum?
  • Options
    > @Dadge said:

>
    > Who needs Game of Thrones, eh?

Geeks who like to w@nk?
  • Options
    > @HYUFD said:
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129030186886942721?s=20

Shame the 1922 didn't force this outcome on 9th June 2017 - We might not have wasted two years of our lives going nowhere...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > Why doesn't Theresa May just trigger a Con leadership election now (but stay on as PM to try and get her WA through in June)
    >
    > What am I missing?

Her natural instinct to delay any decision in the hope summat will turn up?
  • Options
    > @rkrkrk said:
    > Damn. If Theresa had only clung on until October I'd be up. Still maybe she will...

Only way May stays until October is if the EU moves on the backstop.

So no, she's gone.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    "Inequality driving 'deaths of despair'

Widening inequalities in pay, health and opportunities in the UK are undermining trust in democracy, says an Institute for Fiscal Studies report.
    The think tank warns of runaway incomes for high earners but rises in "deaths of despair", such as from addiction and suicide, among the poorest.
    It warns of risks to "centre-ground" politics from stagnating pay and divides in health and education."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48229037

"Opioid painkillers: Alarm bells are ringing"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48297011
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. HYUFD, I'm reminded of Francis Urquhart speaking to the audience about the demise of Collingridge.
  • Options
    > @anothernick said:
    > > @Dadge said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > > > Good afternoon, my fellow Groundhog Day viewers.
    > > >
    > > > It's all a bit gloomy isn't it. The Brexit party will do well next week, the WA will be voted down again, May will resign, some Leave Muppet will become PM and will take us out of the EU with no agreement and no plan other than to sing "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Juncker" loudly across the Channel and in just over a month's time the nights will start getting longer.
    > >
    > > Given what some on the left have the party have said previously, isn't there a probability that if eg. Boris becomes leader, a few more Tories will transfer to Heidi Allen's lot? Then Boris is likely to lose a VoNC and we have an election. This scenario seems just as likely as him leading us to No Deal.
    >
    > Indeed. A number of Tory MPs have said they would leave the party if Boris becomes PM - I wonder if anyone has been keeping count of how many? Grieve is one, and I think Greening also?

But say it's a Hunt. You still have the same disastrous policy.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    > @AndyJS said:
    > "Inequality driving 'deaths of despair'
    >
    > Widening inequalities in pay, health and opportunities in the UK are undermining trust in democracy, says an Institute for Fiscal Studies report.
    > The think tank warns of runaway incomes for high earners but rises in "deaths of despair", such as from addiction and suicide, among the poorest.
    > It warns of risks to "centre-ground" politics from stagnating pay and divides in health and education."
    >
    > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48229037
    >
    >
    > "Opioid painkillers: Alarm bells are ringing"
    >
    > https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48297011

Except inequality is lowest for thirty years...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Is it possible that the Spartans or spastics or whatever you want to call them have agreed to back May's deal in exchange for her immediate departure? Seems unlikely because everyone is sick to the back teeth of her anyway and she has nothing to offer.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Good afternoon. Has there even been a Westminster poll before with the leading party as low as 27%?

A few days ago Yougov had both parties on 24%.
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129030186886942721?s=20
    >
    > She would have blown more than her nose if that's what it took to cling on for a few more weeks...

Please......
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129030186886942721?s=20
    >
    > Shame the 1922 didn't force this outcome on 9th June 2017 - We might not have wasted two years of our lives going nowhere...

Yup. But that's what the majority of Tory MPs hating Boris gets you....
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > @Scott_P said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1128946811400589312
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > isn't that a really confusing billboard?
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Might be intentional, to get more media coverage. Billboards tend only to go up in a few locations these days, and rely on mainstream and social media for coverage.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > It’s meant to be an attack on him
    >
    >
    >
    > It is an attack on him.
    >
    > I don’t think he comes out of it looking that bad.

It is a tad subtle. But it works two ways. First, if people who see it understand it's an attack on him.

Second, if they actually think it's a Brexit Party advert. Most people on the Left will think twice about voting for him if they think his policy platform includes privatisation of the health service.

In that respect, it's a bit like May putting up posters promoting her dementia tax.
  • Options
    "Set a timetable". Knowing May, that timetable may well be rather more long range than folk are expecting.
    Would not be surprised if she sees it as being after Brexit, or after the 2022 election.
    Whichever is sooner.
  • Options
    Mr. Notme, it's a strange line.

The idea that people would be happier if they were poorer, but those wealthier lost even more, seems utterly crackers to me.

What's important is helping the poorest to achieve more so they have not only sufficient for a reasonable life but extra for disposable income and saving.

Shafting the rich and the middle class does nothing to help the poor. Hacking down those who pay most in taxation only deprives those at the lower end.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Did we ever get a view on whether revocation of Article 50 requires a Parliamentary vote?

If I were her I'd be tempted to send the letter in, resign with immediate effect then bugger off for a long holiday. A very long one.

Leave it to my successor to decide whether they want to reinvoke it and if so how they are going to negotiate or not with the EU.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Scott_P said:
    It would be rather embarrassing for those putting up the posters, if they’ve not got themselves properly registered with the Electoral Commission and will be declaring all their spending in accordance with the law.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    The betting value is now with "No Brexit before 2022"

https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1129027231806840832
  • Options
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Mr. Notme, it's a strange line.
    >
    > The idea that people would be happier if they were poorer, but those wealthier lost even more, seems utterly crackers to me.
    >
    > What's important is helping the poorest to achieve more so they have not only sufficient for a reasonable life but extra for disposable income and saving.
    >
    > Shafting the rich and the middle class does nothing to help the poor. Hacking down those who pay most in taxation only deprives those at the lower end.

More equal societies are happier societies.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If we have a second referendum, and Remain wins by 55/45, there could then be a general election at which Farage becomes PM by winning 45% because as we know that's enough to win a majority under FPTP in a multi-party system.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    > @DavidL said:
    > Is it possible that the Spartans or spastics or whatever you want to call them have agreed to back May's deal in exchange for her immediate departure? Seems unlikely because everyone is sick to the back teeth of her anyway and she has nothing to offer.

Dunno why anyone wants her deal to pass - means losing the DUP.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    It would be rather embarrassing for those putting up the posters, if they’ve not got themselves properly registered with the Electoral Commission and will be declaring all their spending in accordance with the law.
    It would be a novelty for Leavers to concern themselves with the niceties of electoral law. They've never shown the slightest interest in it before now.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, if I offered to double the real wealth of the poorest, but triple it for the wealthiest (increasing inequality), would you accept that, or refuse?

Or, if given the choice between that and halving the real wealth of the poorest but reducing it by two-thirds for the wealthiest (decreasing inequality), which would you prefer?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    > @AndyJS said:
    > If we have a second referendum, and Remain wins by 55/45, there could then be a general election at which Farage becomes PM by winning 45% because as we know that's enough to win a majority under FPTP in a multi-party system.

Someone could win a majority with a lot less than 45% of the popular vote.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > If we have a second referendum, and Remain wins by 55/45, there could then be a general election at which Farage becomes PM by winning 45% because as we know that's enough to win a majority under FPTP in a multi-party system.
    >
    > Someone could win a majority with a lot less than 45% of the popular vote.

The vote has to be concentrated rather than spread evenly. That usually helps established parties.
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > Mr. Notme, it's a strange line.
    > >
    > > The idea that people would be happier if they were poorer, but those wealthier lost even more, seems utterly crackers to me.
    > >
    > > What's important is helping the poorest to achieve more so they have not only sufficient for a reasonable life but extra for disposable income and saving.
    > >
    > > Shafting the rich and the middle class does nothing to help the poor. Hacking down those who pay most in taxation only deprives those at the lower end.
    >
    > More equal societies are happier societies.

Is Venezuela happier than Argentina, do you think?
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @notme2 said:
    > Except inequality is lowest for thirty years...

By what measure? Gini is somewhat flawed.
  • Options
    > @Sandpit said:
    > https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1128946811400589312
    >
    >
    >
    > It would be rather embarrassing for those putting up the posters, if they’ve not got themselves properly registered with the Electoral Commission and will be declaring all their spending in accordance with the law.

Don't worry, I'm sure the Commission will investigate the matter thoroughly....

titters
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > > Mr. Notme, it's a strange line.
    > >
    > > The idea that people would be happier if they were poorer, but those wealthier lost even more, seems utterly crackers to me.
    > >
    > > What's important is helping the poorest to achieve more so they have not only sufficient for a reasonable life but extra for disposable income and saving.
    > >
    > > Shafting the rich and the middle class does nothing to help the poor. Hacking down those who pay most in taxation only deprives those at the lower end.
    >
    > More equal societies are happier societies.

Not necessarily.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    I have noted many times over the past few months that sterling was rangebound at $1.30-33.

Not any more. It's broken out now and heading towards $1.27. I suppose this can be counted as a victory and sign of the UK's international standing as far as Brexiters are concerned.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1129036700666273792

It can't be a hint that Hunt is in with a chance?
  • Options
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > https://twitter.com/harpercollinsuk/status/1129008809454784515?s=21
    >
    > Isn't that just before conference season?
    >
    > Revenge being eaten cold?

... and not long before Brexit Day Mk2
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @david_herdson said:
    > The betting value is now with "No Brexit before 2022"
    >
    > https://twitter.com/DavidHerdson/status/1129027231806840832

Unless of course the first part of the contest finished up with only one candidate standing so it doesn't go to a members ballot again - A scenario nobody can entirely rule out as Theresa May only became leader during the last leadership contest by accident.

No on an say an accident won't happen again and in which case we could have a new PM by July.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @tlg86 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > If we have a second referendum, and Remain wins by 55/45, there could then be a general election at which Farage becomes PM by winning 45% because as we know that's enough to win a majority under FPTP in a multi-party system.
    >
    > Someone could win a majority with a lot less than 45% of the popular vote.

Blair won a workable majority at GE2005 with 35.1%
  • Options
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > I have noted many times over the past few months that sterling was rangebound at $1.30-33.
    >
    > Not any more. It's broken out now and heading towards $1.27. I suppose this can be counted as a victory and sign of the UK's international standing as far as Brexiters are concerned.

If BoZo looks like winning it will be down below $1.20 PDQ.
  • Options
    > @dr_spyn said:
    > https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1129036700666273792
    >
    > It can't be a hint that Hunt is in with a chance?

Only until it gets to the membership
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,016
    > @AndyJS said:
    > If we have a second referendum, and Remain wins by 55/45, there could then be a general election at which Farage becomes PM by winning 45% because as we know that's enough to win a majority under FPTP in a multi-party system.

That was the scenario if Remain had won the first time. I don't think it would work now, because a win for Remain would now represent a rejection of Brexit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    > @logical_song said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > https://twitter.com/harpercollinsuk/status/1129008809454784515?s=21
    > >
    > > Isn't that just before conference season?
    > >
    > > Revenge being eaten cold?
    >
    > ... and not long before Brexit Day Mk2

I think "Theresa - my part in her rise and fall" would be a catchier title.
  • Options
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    edited May 2019

If BoZo looks like winning it will be down below $1.20 PDQ.

It will have to be a soft leaver (a la La May) or a remainer. For the country, that is. For the Party god knows the fuckers might choose Francois in their current mood. But for the country it will have to be a Hunt, Gove, Rudd, or even (because I'm green on him but also he has consistently spoken a lot of sense and at some point you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he means it), Stewart.
  • Options
    > @Scott_P said:
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129037573974876160

The government really ought to publish the advice they have received on the impact of a No Deal Brexit, in full, before the WAB is presented.

Maybe it is less bad than feared. Or very much worse. Or a bit meh. Who knows? But MPs should know before they vote again.

And contestants for the Tory party leadership should also know. So that we don't get fed a load of bullshit about what something that was never in anyone's manifestos in 2017 or canvassed during the referendum campaign actually means in practice.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dadge said:

It is a tad subtle. But it works two ways. First, if people who see it understand it's an attack on him.

Second, if they actually think it's a Brexit Party advert. Most people on the Left will think twice about voting for him if they think his policy platform includes privatisation of the health service.

In that respect, it's a bit like May putting up posters promoting her dementia tax.

The third, and I think most likely, way is you drive past it & just see his picture looking quite respectable and some words that you won’t have time to read. Anyway, once people have made their mind up to vote for a politician, I think opposition attacks just harden the resolve, especially if part of the schtik is that the establishment are out to get them. We saw it with Corbyn.
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    > If BoZo looks like winning it will be down below $1.20 PDQ.
    >
    > It will have to be a soft leaver (a la La May) or a remainer. For the country, that is. For the Party god knows the fuckers might choose Francois in the current mood. But for the country it will have to be a Hunt, Gove, Rudd, or even (because I'm green on him but also he has consistently spoken a lot of sense and at some point you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he means it), Stewart.

As if Tory loyalists care about the country. They stopped caring about the rest of us a long time ago. Bastards.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    > @isam said:
    > The third, and I think most likely, way is you drive past it & just see his picture looking quite respectable and some words that you won’t have time to read.

Reaching a bit there, isam.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    > @MarqueeMark said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129037573974876160
    >
    > Steel doesn't weep.....

Maybe that's why she won't leave.

"If it could weep, it could arise and go" (Elizabeth Barrett Browning).
  • Options
    > @Stereotomy said:
    > Probation will be renationalised after disastrous Grayling reforms https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/16/part-privatisation-probation-sevices-to-be-reversed-offender-management-nationalised-chris-grayling

Is there anything that man has touched which has not turned to ashes? Imagine if he were to stand for leader and win, the queues to get out of the country would stretch to Aberdeen, probably.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > > @Scott_P said:
    > > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1129037573974876160
    >
    > The government really ought to publish the advice they have received on the impact of a No Deal Brexit, in full, before the WAB is presented.
    >
    > Maybe it is less bad than feared. Or very much worse. Or a bit meh. Who knows? But MPs should know before they vote again.
    >
    > And contestants for the Tory party leadership should also know. So that we don't get fed a load of bullshit about what something that was never in anyone's manifestos in 2017 or canvassed during the referendum campaign actually means in practice.

Who would believe the assessments? No one. We were supposed to have a recession immediately after voting leave. Employment is up well over 1m since then. 1m.

A major part of Brexit is, as Gove almost said, we are fed up of experts who seek to give a spurious credibility to their own opinions by skewing the data or building in assumptions which are not warranted. They have been caught out repeatedly and the defence is, well, things changed or the government or the bank reacted to what had happened. Well, yes.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > It is a tad subtle. But it works two ways. First, if people who see it understand it's an attack on him.
    >
    >
    >
    > Second, if they actually think it's a Brexit Party advert. Most people on the Left will think twice about voting for him if they think his policy platform includes privatisation of the health service.
    >
    >
    >
    > In that respect, it's a bit like May putting up posters promoting her dementia tax.
    >
    > The third, and I think most likely, way is you drive past it & just see his picture looking quite respectable and some words that you won’t have time to read. Anyway, once people have made their mind up to vote for a politician, I think opposition attacks just harden the resolve, especially if part of the schtik is that the establishment are out to get them. We saw it with Corbyn.

It looks like they only have 2 poster sites, the publicity is showing them online.
  • Options
    Current leaflet score. LD 2, Lab 1, UKIP 1.
    Surprised no Brexit contact. Or maybe they know we are not their target market? Removes tin foil.
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >
    > That was the scenario if Remain had won the first time. I don't think it would work now, because a win for Remain would now represent a rejection of Brexit.

No to independence won 55% to 45% in 2014 in Scotland, yet the SNP won 50% in Scotland at GE 2015 and even in GE17 they still won a majority of Scottish seats on just 37% under FPTP.

Remain would have to win at least 70% to 30% to kill off the Brexit Party and avoid the risk of a Farage premiership under FPTP
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    > @anothernick said:
    > > @TOPPING said:
    > > I have noted many times over the past few months that sterling was rangebound at $1.30-33.
    > >
    > > Not any more. It's broken out now and heading towards $1.27. I suppose this can be counted as a victory and sign of the UK's international standing as far as Brexiters are concerned.
    >

And he DOES look like winning per the market. A red hot fav at 3.7 and still shortening.

Oh dear. A truly ridiculous clown in the White House and almost as big a one at Number 10.

I would laugh if it were even remotely funny.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843

> @AndyJS said:

That was the scenario if Remain had won the first time. I don't think it would work now, because a win for Remain would now represent a rejection of Brexit.

In the same way as the Scottish independence referendum going against them killed the SNP?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @logical_song said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > https://twitter.com/harpercollinsuk/status/1129008809454784515?s=21
    > > >
    > > > Isn't that just before conference season?
    > > >
    > > > Revenge being eaten cold?
    > >
    > > ... and not long before Brexit Day Mk2
    >
    > I think "Theresa - my part in her rise and fall" would be a catchier title.

"Whoops!" - would have been more precise.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,016
    > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > No to independence won 55% to 45% in 2014 in Scotland, yet the SNP won 50% in Scotland at GE 2015 and even in GE17 they still won a majority of Scottish seats on just 37% under FPTP.
    >
    > Remain would have to win at least 70% to 30% to kill off the Brexit Party and avoid the risk of a Farage premiership under FPTP

It's also a question of the direction of travel. If Brexit is rejected after three or more years of trying to do Brexit, it's very different to Brexit narrowly losing and never being tested against reality.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Tory leadership election could turn into a play-off between a No Dealer and a Revoker. Only one way the swivel-eyed membership, complete with gammonite entryists, will jump in that contest.

No, I expect it will end in a play-off between a No Dealer and a relatively sane Leaver. That is because in the penultimate round the moderates amongst MPs will swing behind whoever looks best placed to beat the No Dealer, even if in previous rounds they have supported a Remainer.
  • Options
    > @TOPPING said:
    >
    > It will have to be a soft leaver (a la La May) or a remainer. For the country, that is. For the Party god knows the fuckers might choose Francois in their current mood. But for the country it will have to be a Hunt, Gove, Rudd, or even (because I'm green on him but also he has consistently spoken a lot of sense and at some point you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he means it), Stewart.

The Tories have been putting party before country for the past 20 years at least, what makes you think things will be different now?
This discussion has been closed.