Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TMay finally decides to quit and the race for her successor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So TMay finally decides to quit and the race for her successor begins

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    They said it'll end in tears.....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    She almost made it to the end......
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    That was quite emotional.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,597
    The end of May at the end of May.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Here we go!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896

I nearly cried when she did. She tried her best and MPs should have voted for her deal
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    She said she is stepping down as Con Leader on Jun 7, yet April-June as her departure date is still 1.3 on Betfair

Have I missed summit?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Repost FPT....

Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.

The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that. 

Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    > @isam said:
    > She said she is stepping down as Con Leader on Jun 7, yet April-June as her departure date is still 1.3 on Betfair
    >
    > Have I missed summit?

She didn't say how that was going to work, given the need to find a replacement in July.
  • Options
    isam said:

She said she is stepping down as Con Leader on Jun 7, yet April-June as her departure date is still 1.3 on Betfair

Have I missed summit?

Take all of that 1.3
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Lost it at the end, didn't feel sorry for her one little bit.

Tried hard, but was ultimately a bit crap, hoisted upon her own petard
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    The fight for the soul of the Tory party starts today.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    > @Bob__Sykes said:
    > Repost FPT....
    >
    > Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.
    >
    > The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that. 
    >
    > Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.

Day after Peterborough. Get the last heavy defeat out the way before anyone else has to take any blame
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Terrible day for the Tories. Back stabbing bastardry taken to a new level.

The tears at the end have really screwed them.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Have I missed summit?

Take all of that 1.3
    I managed to get out of my Oct-Dec position!

10k to back at 1.14
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285

Aye. Even I was emotional at the end.

Not as emotional when Dave resigned but still.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    Personally I think May will look back on her time as PM in a year or two in context and she'll be happy. Johnson or Raab are hell bent on throwing the country under the bus and the chaos that is yet to come will probably have us yearning for May's steady as she goes persistence.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Roger said:
    > Terrible day for the Tories. Back stabbing bastardry taken to a new level.
    >
    > The tears at the end have really screwed them.

It was all a bit 'it's a funny old world' 1990 redux

Although I disagree re back stabbery. The nation will be mostly relieved at a new chapter
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @Bob__Sykes said:
    > Repost FPT....
    >
    > Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.
    >
    > The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that. 
    >
    > Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.

Theresa May will pass Gordon Brown's time in office at the end of this month.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,095
    A towering oak tree falls.

To be replaced, I rather fear, by a shitty little twig.
  • Options
    So Theresa resigns when Mike’s on holiday.

An FYI Mike’s next major holiday after that is in September.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Crying because in the end she achieved almost nothing at all.

Cameron needs to still be taking a whole heap of blame for where we are though, it's not just May.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sandpit said:

isam said:

Have I missed summit?

Take all of that 1.3
    I managed to get out of my Oct-Dec position!

10k to back at 1.14
    Good effort, I ended up about level on this one, bar a few pence as cover on the Q4 bracket the other day.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,981
    Who could be heard laughing when she turned on the waterworks?
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > So Theresa resigns when Mike’s on holiday.
    >
    > An FYI Mike’s next major holiday after that is in September.

Steve Baker won't be prime minister very long then.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,238
    RH1992 said:

Personally I think May will look back on her time as PM in a year or two in context and she'll be happy. Johnson or Raab are hell bent on throwing the country under the bus and the chaos that is yet to come will probably have us yearning for May's steady as she goes persistence.

It was certainly emotional. But it was too little (the Deal, consulting with Lab, bringing people in to the tent, rowing back on her red lines) too late (sort of now).

As she sowed, so has she reaped.
  • Options
    Amber Rudd not running.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > Amber Rudd not running.

Boris's running mate apparently
  • Options

PM loses seat isn't a good look
  • Options
    I think we’ll turn into Australia, PMs not lasting long.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Would have little support and wont win her seat. I think she needs Boris as leader for someone who might appeal enough to win her marginal.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1131850979941507072

Give it twelve. Nothing too much out of the ordinary will happen in the next 3 (OK, we'll have a new PM but that always happens from time to time).
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited May 2019
    As an outcome to all of this, I wouldn't be surprised if the WAB does pass substantially unchanged from all of this at some point in the near future. If and when that does happen I hope people consistently point out the hypocrisy of the MPs who were willing to die on a hill to prevent it getting through backing down because it's a Leaver PM in charge.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    > I think we’ll turn into Australia, PMs not lasting long.

There'll be a bitter spill to follow.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Brexit (a shadowy concept at best) is not like like quitting a club membership by handing in one's card and walking away.
    Who wud have thunk it?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,436
    edited May 2019
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > Amber Rudd not running.
    >
    > PM loses seat isn't a good look

There’ll be a vacancy in Maidenhead at the next election (probably)
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Now wait for the vomit inducing hypocrisy from Tory politicians who were slagging her off for months .

All of a sudden she’s Mother Theresa !
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    May tried her best for a Deal, hard to see past No Deal v Revoke civil war now sadly
  • Options
    Peter Bone says BORIS!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Tracey Crouch - the time has come.....
  • Options
    > @asjohnstone said:
    > Lost it at the end, didn't feel sorry for her one little bit.
    >
    > Tried hard, but was ultimately a bit crap, hoisted upon her own petard

Tried hard but ultimately not an instinctive politician or leader.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,155
    Leadsom and Hunt now on same 13.5 on BF.
  • Options
    > That was quite emotional.
    >
    > Aye. Even I was emotional at the end.
    >
    > Not as emotional when Dave resigned but still.

The promise of what might have been
  • Options
    > @JonCisBack said:
    > Crying because in the end she achieved almost nothing at all.
    >
    > Cameron needs to still be taking a whole heap of blame for where we are though, it's not just May.

There is a nostalgia for Cameron in certain quarters, even though it is hard to think of any major policy area his government did not screw up.
  • Options
    isam said:

Peter Bone says BORIS!

So who’s going to be not-Boris? Gove again, Hunt?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    > @MaxPB said:
    > The fight for the soul of the Tory party starts today.

I think it was largely over some time back.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
    She made a lot of bad decisions, like having a long election campaign with a big poll lead, when it should have been as short as possible. Another one is not starting the leadership process now, because it could take until September to get a new prime minister.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890
    May might be flawed as a person, and she might not have been a very good PM - and she might have handled Brexit poorly. (*)

But she's still far better than the winnets in the ERG who hope to replace her. That's the ultimate sadness in all of this.

It's interesting to consider how May might have performed as PM if it had not been for Brexit: after all, Brexit aside, the country's not been doing too badly over the last two years.

(*) Note: those are all conditionals.
  • Options
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    >

If the Tories can't get the Brexit party below 10% Boris could lose his too....
  • Options
    > @Sandpit said:
    > Peter Bone says BORIS!
    >
    > So who’s going to be not-Boris? Gove again, Hunt?

Could be Baker at this rate
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    > @dyedwoolie said:
    > > @Bob__Sykes said:
    > > Repost FPT....
    > >
    > > Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.
    > >
    > > The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that. 
    > >
    > > Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.
    >
    > Day after Peterborough. Get the last heavy defeat out the way before anyone else has to take any blame

It's not as though she's hanging on to enjoy the remaining few days...

"The prime minister will remain in Downing Street, to shoulder the blame for what are expected to be dire results for her party at Thursday’s European elections – and to host Donald Trump when he visits...."
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Was the speech she should have given on 9th June 2017...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Morning all :)

I'm left with the thought resigning on June 7th neatly splits her Premiership into two parts - the first 11 months or so when all seemed to be going so well right up to the exit poll on June 8th 2017.

The last 24 months have been unmitigated purgatory for her and disastrous for the country. Whether, had she resigned on the morning of June 9th 2017 as some forecast, the history of the past two years would have played out differently is one for the counterfactual historians among us.

All I know is her effective leadership ended with that exit poll.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1131843848089624576

And he has provided a welcome boost for Britain's beleaguered milkshake industry.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @Sandpit said:
    > She said she is stepping down as Con Leader on Jun 7, yet April-June as her departure date is still 1.3 on Betfair
    >
    > Have I missed summit?
    >
    > Take all of that 1.3
    >
    > I managed to get out of my Oct-Dec position!
    >
    > 10k to back at 1.14
    >
    > Good effort, I ended up about level on this one, bar a few pence as cover on the Q4 bracket the other day.

---------------------
    Maybe I've missed something but she said she will stay on until the leadership contest 'is concluded' which won't be until July (unless Boris does a stitch-up first).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Who will the interim party leader be ?
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @Bob__Sykes said:
    > > Repost FPT....
    > >
    > > Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.
    > >
    > > The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that. 
    > >
    > > Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.
    >
    > Theresa May will pass Gordon Brown's time in office at the end of this month.

Passing Brown was always irrelevant and quite possibly put forward as an attempt to discredit May by making her appear interested in such trivialities. I very much doubt she was even aware of the stat but even if she were, she'd always have had the opportunity to remain PM until a replacement Con leader was found and as such was always bound to overtake Brown's tenure.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

PM loses seat isn't a good look

Though it would be hilarious if it happened to Boris.
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1131852599509041154

Only trouble is, her "service" has been double fault after double fault. She wasn't up to the task. She never was. History won't be swayed by the tears at the end. It's been a dismal, self-defeating premiership. A low point for this country... So far.
  • Options
    What's Gov'es play here?
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > She made a lot of bad decisions, like having a long election campaign with a big poll lead, when it should have been as short as possible.

Weren't there constraints because of the number of bank holidays in the way and the requirement for 'working days' between dissolution & election?
  • Options
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > May might be flawed as a person, and she might not have been a very good PM - and she might have handled Brexit poorly. (*)
    >
    > But she's still far better than the winnets in the ERG who hope to replace her. That's the ultimate sadness in all of this.
    >
    > It's interesting to consider how May might have performed as PM if it had not been for Brexit: after all, Brexit aside, the country's not been doing too badly over the last two years.
    >
    > (*) Note: those are all conditionals.

She is also far better than the utterly contemptible Corbyn, I would vote for the Devil to beat him now. He always put party politics above the national interest
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Had a feeling this comment wouldn't age well- Think we might have a new Rogerdarmus moment! :D

@HYUFD

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="HYUFD">Good move today I think by May, it gives Labour MPs who might support her Deal a way out, they can now say to Leave constituents if they voted for the WA they voted for Brexit and to Remain party members they voted for a referendum.

Yes, the nationalists, LDs, Corbyn, Labour Remainers and ERG No Deal hardliners rejected it but that was inevitable and they were not May's target audience, that was Labour MPs from Leave seats.

Also just got back from a good dinner with Liam Fox, he was very positive about the prospects for investment both here and abroad but also concerned about the impact of No Deal on the Union</blockquote>
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @david_herdson said:
    > > @asjohnstone said:
    > > Lost it at the end, didn't feel sorry for her one little bit.
    > >
    > > Tried hard, but was ultimately a bit crap, hoisted upon her own petard
    >
    > Tried hard but ultimately not an instinctive politician or leader.

A proper leadership contest in 2016 rather than a coronation would have highlighted this. The Cons simply did not learn from Gordon Brown's coronation, and not from their own, very thorough contest in 2005/06 which revealed a leader most people hadn't even heard of before its start (and who went on to win - or at least not lose - two general elections).
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    TudorRose said:

> @Pulpstar said:

Maybe I've missed something but she said she will stay on until the leadership contest 'is concluded' which won't be until July (unless Boris does a stitch-up first).

Money to be made?

When will Theresa May officially cease to be leader of the Conservative Party?

• Options
    This is wrong...she's stepping down as Con Leader, not as PM - she's got that until her replacement is appointed:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1131853260187324416
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @MaxPB said:
    > The fight for the soul of the Tory party starts today.

Do we even know how many horcruxes there are?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    > @TheWhiteRabbit said:
    > What's Gov'es play here?

Probably to support Boris finally, and angle for CoE?
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Who will the interim party leader be ?

There won't be one?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Blasted new thread. For the record.

I may not agree with much of what he says but I admire TheJezziah for his tenacity in a mostly opposed environment.

Gosh. That was hard to watch at the end.

The headlines will be around the "need to compromise" bit. My jaw dropped at that.

Can't understand why wait until 7th June to quit. We need to get on with this and start the leadership contest today. Unbelievable she isn't resigning for another fortnight.

What difference does it make? They'll campaign now anyway.

Pulpstar said:

I quite like Baker actually, a man of principles unlike the favourite.

I dislike him but he clearly believes in the goal he wants and technically has a plan unlike most of the others.
    TGOHF said:

So this will be the third Con leadership election in a row where the CoTE isn't even in the race.

Not much of a path to power is it ?

If remain had won Osborne would have been a contender. Indeed, he had only just managed to become favourite iirc.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > This is wrong...she's stepping down as Con Leader, not as PM - she's got that until her replacement is appointed:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1131853260187324416

Unless they contrive a fix. Again. But I don't see that happening this time.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,890
    > @HYUFD said:
    > > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > May might be flawed as a person, and she might not have been a very good PM - and she might have handled Brexit poorly. (*)
    > >
    > > But she's still far better than the winnets in the ERG who hope to replace her. That's the ultimate sadness in all of this.
    > >
    > > It's interesting to consider how May might have performed as PM if it had not been for Brexit: after all, Brexit aside, the country's not been doing too badly over the last two years.
    > >
    > > (*) Note: those are all conditionals.
    >
    > She is also far better than the utterly contemptible Corbyn, I would vote for the Devil to beat him now. He always put party politics above the national interest

That's the point though: he doesn't put party politics above the national interest. If he did, then Labour would be way ahead in the polls.

Corbyn puts his warped ideology ahead of party politics and the national interest.

And yet he might soon be PM.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > May might be flawed as a person, and she might not have been a very good PM - and she might have handled Brexit poorly. (*)
    >
    > But she's still far better than the winnets in the ERG who hope to replace her. That's the ultimate sadness in all of this.
    >
    > It's interesting to consider how May might have performed as PM if it had not been for Brexit: after all, Brexit aside, the country's not been doing too badly over the last two years.
    >
    > (*) Note: those are all conditionals.

I would suggest very poorly.

I was very unhappy when she became PM, not primarily because of her views on Brexit but because her time at the Home Office marked her out to have a very bad combination of attributes - authoritarianism, incompetence and xenophobia. Anyone who saw how badly she handled things at the Home Office could see she was going to make a right pigs ear of Government in general and Brexit in particular and so it proved.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    isam said:

Have I missed summit?

Her track record of delivering outcomes by specified dates would be what you have missed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Who will the interim party leader be ?
    >
    > There won't be one?

The Tory contest won't be concluded on 7th June
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    > @williamglenn said:
    > https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1131851679232602113

Indeed it was a sad end, but she made the serious political errors that brought us to this point.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @AndyJS said:
    > She made a lot of bad decisions, like having a long election campaign with a big poll lead, when it should have been as short as possible. Another one is not starting the leadership process now, because it could take until September to get a new prime minister.

The length wasn't the problem, it was the sheer ineptitude of her campaign, probably the most shambolic Tory election campaign anyone can remember, maybe ever.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > Maybe I've missed something but she said she will stay on until the leadership contest 'is concluded' which won't be until July (unless Boris does a stitch-up first).
    >
    > Money to be made?
    >
    >
    > When will Theresa May officially cease to be leader of the Conservative Party?

I understood her to mean she will step down as Party Leader in June but remain as PM until after the contest.

BUT she did not talk about an interim leader so maybe she will simply be 'in recess' as party leader under the new timetable as well.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,981
    GIN1138 said:

Had a feeling this comment wouldn't age well- Think we might have a new Rogerdarmus moment! :D

@HYUFD

Good move today I think by May, it gives Labour MPs who might support her Deal a way out, they can now say to Leave constituents if they voted for the WA they voted for Brexit and to Remain party members they voted for a referendum.

Yes, the nationalists, LDs, Corbyn, Labour Remainers and ERG No Deal hardliners rejected it but that was inevitable and they were not May's target audience, that was Labour MPs from Leave seats.

Also just got back from a good dinner with Liam Fox, he was very positive about the prospects for investment both here and abroad but also concerned about the impact of No Deal on the Union

That is a spectacular piece of hyufdomancy.
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @CarlottaVance said:
    > > https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1131852599509041154
    >
    > Only trouble is, her "service" has been double fault after double fault. She wasn't up to the task. She never was. History won't be swayed by the tears at the end. It's been a dismal, self-defeating premiership. A low point for this country... So far.

"So far" doing a lot of work there.....lets see how well her successors do....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,155

> @dyedwoolie said:

>

There’ll be a vacancy in Maidenhead at the next election (probably)

If Boris-Rudd happens, then the contest is over before it begins. I guess CoE will be the deal, with huge leeway over domestic day-to-day policy, while Boris gets on with EU.
  • Options
    She leaves as party leader on June 7 but remains as PM until new leader elected. Per Major in 95, there is no interim party leader, the party is effectively in the control of the 1922
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited May 2019
    May exhausted sympathy for her since time ago, but crucially that did not make much of the opposition to her plans more reasonable. And though she was inadequate she worked too hard to see us Brexit for the jibes that she did not believe in it enough to be anything other than nonsense.

The Tories had better hope grovelling to Farage works, since that is their goal now .
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    > @isam said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    > Maybe I've missed something but she said she will stay on until the leadership contest 'is concluded' which won't be until July (unless Boris does a stitch-up first).
    >
    > Money to be made?
    >
    >
    > When will Theresa May officially cease to be leader of the Conservative Party?
    ----------------------------
    Good point; lots of room for arbitrage between 'leader of Conservatives' and 'PM'....
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Rapidly losing whatever credit he has remaining with the left, endorsing the Brexit party was bad enough.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @isam said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    >
    >
    > Money to be made?
    >
    >

CAREFUL -- do not confuse the party leadership (which you are betting on) with remaining as Prime Minister until a successor is found.

ETA: the party position is so ambiguous that I shan't be playing.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @dyedwoolie said:
    >
    > > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    >
    > > > Amber Rudd not running.
    >
    > >
    >
    > > PM loses seat isn't a good look
    >
    >
    >
    > There’ll be a vacancy in Maidenhead at the next election (probably)
    >
    > If Boris-Rudd happens, then the contest is over before it begins. I guess CoE will be the deal, with huge leeway over domestic day-to-day policy, while Boris gets on with EU.

Yes, Bamber a real possibility, Boris much closer to the one nation Tories than Raab etc
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    > @JonCisBack said:
    > Crying because in the end she achieved almost nothing at all.
    >
    > Cameron needs to still be taking a whole heap of blame for where we are though, it's not just May.

Indeed. Cameron dealt May a very bad hand. But she played it very badly, the unachievable red lines, the refusal to take advice or consult outside a tiny circle of sycophants, the secretiveness and the fostering of division in her early period and, of course, the colossal misjudgements of the 2017 election were all May's decisions. History will not be kind to her.
This discussion has been closed.