Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maastricht Redux

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maastricht Redux

Once upon a time there was a stubborn female PM annoying the hell out of her colleagues. A junior Minister was even overheard calling her “a cow” and wishing she would resign. She was determinedly pursuing and arguing for an initially popular pledge – abolition of the rates – by means of a ferociously unpopular policy: the poll tax. No-one was convinced. Tory MPs looked nervously at their majorities, their annoyed constituents and wondered why she would not listen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    Dominic Raab is a liar like most no dealers.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1132581117880614912
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    edited May 2019
    hard job posting on this thread
    ps: as good as a 1st as well
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > Dominic Raab is a liar like most no dealers.

I am still amazed he appears to have support from his colleagues. His brief cabinet stint was hardly spectacular. He appears to be a personality free zone.

What hold has he got over these people that they feel they have to support him?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > Dominic Raab is a liar like most no dealers.
    >
    > I am still amazed he appears to have support from his colleagues. His brief cabinet stint was hardly spectacular. He appears to be a personality free zone.
    >
    > What hold has he got over these people that they feel they have to support him?
    >
    >

Ideological overlap. Simple as that. And if the Tories are going to get curb-stomped in 2022 anyway we may as well enact some of our longstanding policies from our little black book beforehand.

Even if Corbyz manages to reverse all of them, good policies usually sweep the world much like privatisation did.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    Sadly tories are like cockroaches, they will survive a nuclear war even
  • Options
    > @Pauly said:

> Ideological overlap. Simple as that. And if the Tories are going to get curb-stomped in 2022 anyway we may as well enact some of our longstanding policies from our little black book beforehand.
    >
    > Even if Corbyz manages to reverse all of them, good policies usually sweep the world much like privatisation did.

There is no parliamentary majority for getting large scale radical Right Wing legislation through. Even if the DUP are kept on side, there are enough on the Grieve wing of the party to make it nigh-on impossible to impose that sort of agenda.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited May 2019
    “After three years of escalating chaos and national humiliation under Theresa May, a lot of Tories seem to have convinced themselves that anyone else has to be an improvement. This is but the latest of their delusions.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/26/what-makes-tories-think-anyone-must-be-better-than-theresa-may

“One senior Conservative remarks: “The Tory party is tired of a leader so dull that the worst sin she ever committed as a child was to run through a field of wheat. They now want some entertainment and wickedness. So they will probably take a punt on Boris. It will be a wild ride on the tiger. Boris will be a hoot. The question is whether the country wants a hoot.” If you are shocked that this is the level of thinking that will determine who becomes Britain’s next prime minister, then you are not very well acquainted with the Conservatives.”
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @Pauly said:
    >
    > > Ideological overlap. Simple as that. And if the Tories are going to get curb-stomped in 2022 anyway we may as well enact some of our longstanding policies from our little black book beforehand.
    > >
    > > Even if Corbyz manages to reverse all of them, good policies usually sweep the world much like privatisation did.
    >
    > There is no parliamentary majority for getting large scale radical Right Wing legislation through. Even if the DUP are kept on side, there are enough on the Grieve wing of the party to make it nigh-on impossible to impose that sort of agenda.

A lot of the ideas I had in mind would be in the Finance Bill which would be a clear confidence matter anyway. That and many of the others can be done via secondary legislation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    After these European elections the BXP should maximise its influence by declaring it will not stand against leaver MPs in a GE.

• Options
    > @TGOHF said:
    > Rory confirms he is continuity May
    >
    > https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1132624654584176646?s=21

He is trying to be what May should have been, not what she was.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."
    'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    > @geoffw said:
    > After these European elections the BXP should maximise its influence by declaring it will not stand against leaver MPs in a GE.

Depends on its ambitions. If its aim is simply to ensure Brexit, you are right. If it is to become a replacement to the Tory party, the exact opposite would be the strategy - let Tory (and Labour) MPs in leave constituencies know that they will challenge them unless they defect to BXP.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201
    > @geoffw said:
    > https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1132624654584176646
    >
    >
    >
    > "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."
    > 'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.

You seriously think that May "Citizen of Nowhere" was attempting to appeal to the centre? It was her total failure to reach out to Remain that has led to a backlash against any kind of Brexit. The country has changed its mind since June 2016, which is what the no dealers don't even begin to understand.

So either either a Brexit compromise deal or no Brexit, simply because those who are trying to run the UK over a cliff will be burned at the stake at the next election.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @geoffw said:
    > https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1132624654584176646
    >
    >
    >
    > "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."
    > 'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.

Does British politics have much of a centre ground?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    What time will the count get underway this evening?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > What time will the count get underway this evening?

10pm
  • Options
    MTimT said:

geoffw said:

After these European elections the BXP should maximise its influence by declaring it will not stand against leaver MPs in a GE.

Depends on its ambitions. If its aim is simply to ensure Brexit, you are right. If it is to become a replacement to the Tory party, the exact opposite would be the strategy - let Tory (and Labour) MPs in leave constituencies know that they will challenge them unless they defect to BXP.
    Its stated ambition is to ensure Brexit. It has no other policies, and nor could it have, considering that it draws support from left and right.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    geoffw said:

You're assuming BXP has done as well as expected.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I am hearing that LDs have won the following.
    Camden by a landslide
    Southwark
    Barnet
    Sutton
    Enfield
    Kingston
    Richmond
    Close in others
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    > @timmo said:
    > I am hearing that LDs have won the following.
    > Camden by a landslide
    > Southwark
    > Barnet
    > Sutton
    > Enfield
    > Kingston
    > Richmond
    > Close in others

Have they started counting yet?
  • Options
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > > @GIN1138 said:
    > > What time will the count get underway this evening?
    >
    > 10pm
    >

I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)
  • Options
    > @MTimT said:
    > > @geoffw said:
    > > After these European elections the BXP should maximise its influence by declaring it will not stand against leaver MPs in a GE.
    >
    > Depends on its ambitions. If its aim is simply to ensure Brexit, you are right. If it is to become a replacement to the Tory party, the exact opposite would be the strategy - let Tory (and Labour) MPs in leave constituencies know that they will challenge them unless they defect to BXP.
    -------

If I were Farage and they win big tonight, I'd try to encourage ERG MPs to defect and force a General Election while the Tories and Labour are in chaos.
  • Options

> @timmo said:

> Camden by a landslide

> Southwark

> Barnet

> Sutton

> Enfield

> Kingston

> Richmond

> Close in others

Have they started counting yet?

All from box counts and verifications...ntg is official.
    Ealing as well swinging to Lib dems
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2019
    Rory Stewart is right of course, but a fat lot of good that will do him. In fact it will do him harm; the party actively doesn't want to hear anything which is right at the moment.

The dead horse which Theresa May has been flogging for the past six months was the only horse in town. It was shot by the ERG and fellow travellers. As a result there is no hope for the Conservative Party, starting from here, which doesn't of itself matter very much except that there's also no hope of a sensible alternative government and even if there was, all alternative courses are unpalatable.

The weirdest thing is seeing wannabe PMs lining up to trash what very limited freedom of movement they might have had. Promising unequivocally to leave on the 31st October is spectacularly stupid, given that in almost any scenario including no deal it might not be possible to get the necessary legislation passed and arrangements made in time. They are setting themselves up for failure and giving ammunition to Nigel Farage - the exact opposite of what they think they are doing. How stupid is that?
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @MTimT said:
    > > > @geoffw said:
    > > > After these European elections the BXP should maximise its influence by declaring it will not stand against leaver MPs in a GE.
    > >
    > > Depends on its ambitions. If its aim is simply to ensure Brexit, you are right. If it is to become a replacement to the Tory party, the exact opposite would be the strategy - let Tory (and Labour) MPs in leave constituencies know that they will challenge them unless they defect to BXP.
    > -------
    >
    > If I were Farage and they win big tonight, I'd try to encourage ERG MPs to defect and force a General Election while the Tories and Labour are in chaos.

"If"
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    GIN1138 said:

> @ralphmalph said:

> > @GIN1138 said:

> > What time will the count get underway this evening?

>

> 10pm

>

I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)

A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there
  • Options
    > @nichomar said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    >
    > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    > > > What time will the count get underway this evening?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > 10pm
    >
    > >
    >
    >
    >
    > I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)
    >
    > A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there

Counting now? But not expected until after 10pm? What the hell are they doing to make it such a slow count? :D
  • Options
    Sutton turnout 39.3%
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @nichomar said:

> > @ralphmalph said:

>

> > > @GIN1138 said:

>

>

> >

>

> > 10pm

>

> >

>

>

>

> I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)

>

> A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there

Counting now? But not expected until after 10pm? What the hell are they doing to make it such a slow count? :D

They are counting all over london now but results embargoes
  • Options
    Cicero said:

geoffw said:

TGOHF said:
    "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."
    'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.
    You seriously think that May "Citizen of Nowhere" was attempting to appeal to the centre? It was her total failure to reach out to Remain that has led to a backlash against any kind of Brexit. The country has changed its mind since June 2016, which is what the no dealers don't even begin to understand.
    If you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means. – Theresa May, 05.10.2016.
    Do you think that a "citizen of the world" is the centre ground of UK politics?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @nichomar said:

> > @ralphmalph said:

>

> > > @GIN1138 said:

>

>

> >

>

> > 10pm

>

> >

>

>

>

>

The UK is sticking to the letter of the law imposed on ourselves by ourselves, so can’t declare till the last EU country poll closes.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    I suspect that the most important thought encapsulated in Ms Cyclefree excellent thread is in the penultimate thread,

'The most important lesson is perhaps this: any significant change in the country’s course needs more than Parliamentary approval or passage as the legal default to gain support. It needs it from as many of those who are initially opposed or indifferent or sceptical as possible. Without it, any change will be vulnerable to its first difficulties. Without it, it will not last.'

At the moment it seems that the most comment directed at Remainers is 'You lost; suck it up!".
    Which, bearing in mind that the margin was small, doesn't go a long way to unite the country. Unpopular in some quarters that a Customs Union, or May's Deal may be/have been, the fact 'remains' that a significant proportion of the public think the EU membership is, at least, quite a good idea and any government which rides roughshod over those beliefs is not going to last long.
    Either that or it is going to have to find such a helping of bread and circuses to bribe enough of the electorate that it will very soon run out of money.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @timmo said:
    > > I am hearing that LDs have won the following.
    > > Camden by a landslide
    > > Southwark
    > > Barnet
    > > Sutton
    > > Enfield
    > > Kingston
    > > Richmond
    > > Close in others
    >
    > Have they started counting yet?

I thought no one was starting counting until 5pm?

Odd we haven't had any leaks from anywhere else on party voting except London - which is technically a breach of electoral law before 10pm.

Given how keen the Lib Dems /some remainers are on prosecuting people who break electoral law I expect Carole Cadwalladr to launch a lengthy inquiry - it should keep the front page of the Observer busy for a few weeks. Will the EC also launch an investigation and fine the leakers? It shouldn't be that difficult to work out given the limited number of party workers who attended the verification in those boroughs!

Of course it may be pure guesswork - its hardly a shock the LDs would top the poll in Richmond, Kingston and Sutton where they run the council or in Camden and Southwark (remainer central where they used to run the council). Enfield and Barnet seem a bit more left field - but if Labour and the Tories have collapsed totally...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @timmo said:
    > > @nichomar said:
    >
    > > > @ralphmalph said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > > What time will the count get underway this evening?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > 10pm
    >
    > >
    >
    > > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)
    >
    > >
    >
    > > A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there
    >
    >
    >
    > Counting now? But not expected until after 10pm? What the hell are they doing to make it such a slow count? :D
    >
    > They are counting all over london now but results embargoes

They are counting in London but the results are embargoed until 3am tomorrow?

What a ****** shambles these EU elections are....
  • Options
    National turnout reported as 38%.

Bigger votes and higher increase in t/o in more Remain areas.
    Conservative vote is patchy- some possibility that nationally they are over 10%
    Lib Dems piling up big votes in small areas. Clearly ahead in London.
    One cheeky bet might be that TBP gets most seats, but actually polls less than the Lib Dems, not sure what the odds are but might be a fun flutter.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532
    > @Sean_F said:
    > > @geoffw said:
    > > Rory confirms he is continuity May
    > > https://twitter.com/rorystewartuk/status/1132624654584176646
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."
    > > 'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.
    >
    > Does British politics have much of a centre ground?

Yes, I think it does.

The Centre ground has to re-define what it is for though, not just what it is against. It is only possible to go so far by being against things.

Brexit doesn't lend itself to centrism, but most other political issues do.
  • Options
    There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    This is sailing close to the wind in terms of revealing the results before the voting has finished.

https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132629606576644096
  • Options
    > @timmo said:
    > Camden by a landslide
    > Southwark
    > Barnet
    > Sutton
    > Enfield
    > Kingston
    > Richmond
    > Close in others

It is time to stop listening to the voices in your head then
  • Options
    > @timmo said:
    > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing

Yes that sounds credible
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The Press Association's estimates of the result times are here:

https://election.pressassociation.com/declaration-times/
  • Options

> @timmo said:

> Camden by a landslide

> Southwark

> Barnet

> Sutton

> Enfield

> Kingston

> Richmond

> Close in others

What?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @timmo said:
    > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing

Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Cicero said:
    > National turnout reported as 38%.
    >
    > Bigger votes and higher increase in t/o in more Remain areas.
    > Conservative vote is patchy- some possibility that nationally they are over 10%
    > Lib Dems piling up big votes in small areas. Clearly ahead in London.
    > One cheeky bet might be that TBP gets most seats, but actually polls less than the Lib Dems, not sure what the odds are but might be a fun flutter.
    >
    >

There is perhaps the London bubble phenomenon - all my right on friends in Clapham, Peckham, Dalston, Holloway and Ealing are voting Lib Dem and no one is voting Brexit party..... I expect the Greens may do quite well too - as a lot of Labour voters might find them a more acceptable alternative?

Its a little odd as I said that we have had no leaks from anywhere on expected poll toppers bar half a dozen London boroughs. If they were good predictors in June 2016 remain would have won by a landslide!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

> @timmo said:

> > @nichomar said:

>

> > > @ralphmalph said:

>

> >

>

> > > > @GIN1138 said:

>

> >

>

> > > > What time will the count get underway this evening?

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> > > 10pm

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)

>

> >

>

> > A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there

>

>

>

> Counting now? But not expected until after 10pm? What the hell are they doing to make it such a slow count? :D

>

> They are counting all over london now but results embargoes

They are counting in London but the results are embargoed until 3am tomorrow?

What a ****** shambles these EU elections are....

They are not embargoed until 3 it’s just the expected time to collate the results and work out the seat distribution. It’s highly possible one or two counting centers find mismatches between total votes and the published turnout, these will have to be resolved. What I don’t know is if a counting center is happy with its figures if it can then publish them. Anyone know?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > The Press Association's estimates of the result times are here:
    >
    > https://election.pressassociation.com/declaration-times/

Why on earth won't London declare until 2am if they're already counting right now?

The whole nation could easily declare the result at dead on 10pm and let everyone get to be by 11pm.

Crazy!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

I suspect that the most important thought encapsulated in Ms Cyclefree excellent thread is in the penultimate thread,

'The most important lesson is perhaps this: any significant change in the country’s course needs more than Parliamentary approval or passage as the legal default to gain support. It needs it from as many of those who are initially opposed or indifferent or sceptical as possible. Without it, any change will be vulnerable to its first difficulties. Without it, it will not last.'

At the moment it seems that the most comment directed at Remainers is 'You lost; suck it up!".

Which, bearing in mind that the margin was small, doesn't go a long way to unite the country. Unpopular in some quarters that a Customs Union, or May's Deal may be/have been, the fact 'remains' that a significant proportion of the public think the EU membership is, at least, quite a good idea and any government which rides roughshod over those beliefs is not going to last long.

Either that or it is going to have to find such a helping of bread and circuses to bribe enough of the electorate that it will very soon run out of money.

Aren't those angry at Leavers' apparent refusal to compromise aware that, for the previous decade or so, their side had completely ignored the complaints of what turned out to be over half of the country and, worse still, called them all sorts of names while they did it? Now we have had three years of non implementation of the referendum result, and anyone who dares be annoyed at those seeking to ignore that as well are the bad guys? Amazing
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @timmo said:
    > Camden by a landslide
    > Southwark
    > Barnet
    > Sutton
    > Enfield
    > Kingston
    > Richmond
    > Close in others

That's supposed to be kept secret until 10pm, officially.
  • Options

> @timmo said:

No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.
  • Options

Cheers
  • Options
    More probable greens get a seat in london than the Tories
  • Options

This is sailing close to the wind in terms of revealing the results before the voting has finished.

Voting closed 65 hours ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @nichomar said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Cheers

Why is London so late/slow - it has fewer voters and fewer electoral areas than the south east and is densely populated. Don't they being counting at 5pm in many areas - so the votes should all be tallied for immediate release and reporting to regional centres by 10pm. How did it take London over 5 hours in 2014 to report whereas the North east reported within 15 minutes at 10.15pm?

Are remain voting areas just a bit slow - or will there be a free bar at the City Hall counting centre?
  • Options
    > @GIN1138 said:
    > > @timmo said:
    > > > @nichomar said:
    > >
    > > > > @ralphmalph said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > > > @GIN1138 said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > > > What time will the count get underway this evening?
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > > 10pm
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > I thought I read earlier that they were going to count earlier than 10pm? Might have been #FAKENEWS though. ;)
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > A lot of areas counting now first result NE expected 10:30 London 3 ish as I recall. Press association estimates somewhere out there
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Counting now? But not expected until after 10pm? What the hell are they doing to make it such a slow count? :D
    > >
    > > They are counting all over london now but results embargoes
    >
    > They are counting in London but the results are embargoed until 3am tomorrow?
    >
    > What a ****** shambles these EU elections are....

Results can be declared from 10pm onwards, as soon as they're ready.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    > @Cicero said:
    > National turnout reported as 38%.
    >
    > Bigger votes and higher increase in t/o in more Remain areas.
    > Conservative vote is patchy- some possibility that nationally they are over 10%
    > Lib Dems piling up big votes in small areas. Clearly ahead in London.
    > One cheeky bet might be that TBP gets most seats, but actually polls less than the Lib Dems, not sure what the odds are but might be a fun flutter.
    >
    >

I suggested that was possible at the onset of the campaign and was generally and politely (and not so in some cases) told no way. Fingers crossed
  • Options
    > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > This is sailing close to the wind in terms of revealing the results before the voting has finished.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132629606576644096
    >
    >
    >
    > Voting closed 65 hours ago.

It's against the law to reveal results before 10pm.
  • Options
    > @timmo said:
    > > @timmo said:
    >
    > > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
    >
    > No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.

I don't think Lab will do much better in the Midlands. In my centre left wing circles Imet only one person voting Labour in the Euros, and that was only because she is a friend of the candidate. It is possible that they may do a bit better in some parts of the North, but I am hopeful that my fiver at 60/1 on Lab under 10% pays off. More likely they will scrape in slightly better than that.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Voting closed 65 hours ago.
    Voting is still taking place in other European countries, so the election isn't over until 10:00pm.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

> @timmo said:

> Camden by a landslide

> Southwark

> Barnet

> Sutton

> Enfield

> Kingston

> Richmond

> Close in others

Indeed. The LDs are or have been strong in all those except Enfield and Barnet. If they really have won in those two Boroughs then London is going to be exceptionally good for them. The caveat is that the papers won’t be mixed across wards, and whoever is providing the reports may only be looking at papers from one part of the Borough, which may not be representative.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > This is sailing close to the wind in terms of revealing the results before the voting has finished.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132629606576644096
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Voting closed 65 hours ago.
    >
    > It's against the law to reveal results before 10pm.

It's a farce if it is, and the EC should be kicking arses.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited May 2019

> @timmo said:

> Camden by a landslide

> Southwark

> Barnet

> Sutton

> Enfield

> Kingston

> Richmond

> Close in others

I strongly suspect you'll be able to add Oxford to that list later tonight.

On the issue of revealing the results, "not disputing" is not the same as "saying". If I don't dispute that my mum is a hamster, that doesn't mean I've said my mum is a hamster, I've just chosen not to argue the point.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    timmo said:

> @timmo said:

No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.
    The Tories wont win a single seat anywhere is my prediction.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

> @timmo said:

> > @timmo said:

>

> > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing

>

>

>

>

> No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.

I don't think Lab will do much better in the Midlands. In my centre left wing circles Imet only one person voting Labour in the Euros, and that was only because she is a friend of the candidate. It is possible that they may do a bit better in some parts of the North, but I am hopeful that my fiver at 60/1 on Lab under 10% pays off. More likely they will scrape in slightly better than that.

Both major parties under 15% seems a cert
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

> @nichomar said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Cheers

Why is London so late/slow - it has fewer voters and fewer electoral areas than the south east. Don't they being counting at 5pm in many areas - so the votes should all be tallied for immediate release and reporting to regional centres by 10pm. How did it take London over 5 hours in 2014 to report whereas the North east reported within 15 minutes at 10.15pm?

Are remain voting areas just a bit slow?

Don't be stupid, in 2014 London had local elections on the same day as the Euros, as a whole the NE and the SE did not.

Takes time to count/separate two lots of ballot papers.
  • Options
    > @IanB2 said:
    > Indeed. The LDs are or have been strong in all those except Enfield and Barnet. If they really have won in those two Boroughs then London is going to be exceptionally good for them. The caveat is that the papers won’t be mixed across wards, and whoever is providing the reports may only be looking at papers from one part of the Borough, which may not be representative.

Indeed. I know people are eager for the numbers - but speculation/wishful thinking/despair based on rumour and limited reports really doesn't help anyone.

I know it is 7 hours more to wait for real data to emerge. We ought not to get too ahead of ourselves.
  • Options
    > @ralphmalph said:
    > > @timmo said:
    >

You will probably only need 7% to win a seat in London - its a 10 seat region. The BP will certainly win a seat there even if polling is massively out - if polling is anyway right they will win at least 2. Outer London boroughs - outside the bubble - like Bromley, Bexley, Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Hounslow, Hillingdon etc etc contain lots of leave voters so should also turnout for the BP.
  • Options
    > @twistedfirestopper3 said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > @TheScreamingEagles said:
    > > > This is sailing close to the wind in terms of revealing the results before the voting has finished.
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132629606576644096
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Voting closed 65 hours ago.
    > >
    > > It's against the law to reveal results before 10pm.
    >
    > It's a farce if it is, and the EC should be kicking arses.

It's not if, it's a fact. They don't finish voting across Europe until 10pm.
  • Options
    Most london boroughs have now finished counting..
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    > > @timmo said:
    >
    > > > @timmo said:
    >
    > >
    >
    > > > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
    >
    > >
    >
    > > No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't think Lab will do much better in the Midlands. In my centre left wing circles Imet only one person voting Labour in the Euros, and that was only because she is a friend of the candidate. It is possible that they may do a bit better in some parts of the North, but I am hopeful that my fiver at 60/1 on Lab under 10% pays off. More likely they will scrape in slightly better than that.
    >
    > Both major parties under 15% seems a cert

I stand by my prediction of Con beating Lab into fourth place.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313

You lost, suck it up, seems like a taunt, and indeed it is, but it's also extremely sound advice. 'You lost' - accept that basic fact. Everything that could have been thrown at Remain was thrown. There are still so many clinging to the Russians, the racists, Farage, Cummings, to try and deligitimise the result in their own minds, which since they don't actually believe any of it, only leads to anger. 'Suck it up' - move on. We are departing an institution that does not sweep the streets, print the bank notes, or look after the sick. Life after the EU still has excitement, challenge, and ideological battles aplenty. I am not remotely convinced that when we've left, hardcore remainers will spend the rest of their lives in sulky isolation. Refusing to look beyond leaving is akin to a mania, and it hurts and damages those possessed by it more than their political opponents.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

> @timmo said:

> Camden by a landslide

> Southwark

> Barnet

> Sutton

> Enfield

> Kingston

> Richmond

> Close in others

Indeed. The LDs are or have been strong in all those except Enfield and Barnet. If they really have won in those two Boroughs then London is going to be exceptionally good for them. The caveat is that the papers won’t be mixed across wards, and whoever is providing the reports may only be looking at papers from one part of the Borough, which may not be representative.
    Is that true? I thought once verification complete the ballot papers were randomly spread out amongst the counters so it was impossible to tell specific ward results.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    If the Lib Dems are beating Labour in Camden then the Survation poll which always looked a bit strange is going to be badly wrong .

That had Labour on 23 and the Lib Dems on 12 nationally .

Those numbers looked out of place given other polls showed the Lib Dems taking a lot of voters off Labour .

If Labour are losing Camden they’re in deep trouble .
  • Options
    Foxy said:

> @Sean_F said:

> > @geoffw said:

> > Rory confirms he is continuity May

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > "There are more potential votes in the centre of British politics."

> > 'Fraid not old son, the centre is very sparsely populated. It was May's error to believe that triangulating into the "centre" was a good idea.

>

> Does British politics have much of a centre ground?

Yes, I think it does.

The Centre ground has to re-define what it is for though, not just what it is against. It is only possible to go so far by being against things.

Brexit doesn't lend itself to centrism, but most other political issues do.
    The trouble is Farage is no longer really about Brexit, it is now a US-style culture war vehicle, a Trump revolution on reason, truth and our democratic institutions. No Deal is just the beginning.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Dominic Raab is a liar like most no dealers.

If you honestly believe he is a liar then perhaps you should report him to the SRA for bringing the legal profession into disrepute.
  • Options
    Votes in 2014

NE - 609k

SE - 2,348K

Anyone else surprised the NE finished the count before London?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > > @timmo said:
    >
    >
    >
    > > Southwark
    >
    > > Barnet
    >
    > > Sutton
    >
    > > Enfield
    >
    > > Kingston
    >
    > > Richmond
    >
    > > Close in others
    >
    >
    >
    > It is time to stop listening to the voices in your head then
    >
    > I strongly suspect you'll be able to add Oxford to that list later tonight.
    >
    > On the issue of revealing the results, "not disputing" is not the same as "saying". If I don't dispute that my mum is a hamster, that doesn't mean I've said my mum is a hamster, I've just chosen not to argue the point.

Enfield seems most unlikely, unless everyone's winning 10 - 15% there
  • Options
    > @timmo said:
    > Most london boroughs have now finished counting..

Any further "guesses"? If the Lib Dems have done well as in Barking as rumoured then they may be on course for 2 seats in London
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

> @El_Capitano said:

> > @timmo said:

>

>

>

> > Southwark

>

> > Barnet

>

> > Sutton

>

> > Enfield

>

> > Kingston

>

> > Richmond

>

> > Close in others

>

>

>

> It is time to stop listening to the voices in your head then

>

> I strongly suspect you'll be able to add Oxford to that list later tonight.

>

> On the issue of revealing the results, "not disputing" is not the same as "saying". If I don't dispute that my mum is a hamster, that doesn't mean I've said my mum is a hamster, I've just chosen not to argue the point.

Enfield seems most unlikely, unless everyone's winning 10 - 15% there

The tory vote has just dissappeared..
    Wait and see
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Camden turnout 44.8 % .

Pretty good , up around 4 points on 2014.

74.9 % Remain in 2016.
  • Options

We are departing an institution that does not sweep the streets, print the bank notes, or look after the sick.

How would you describe what the EU does do at the moment?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @timmo said:
    > >
    > > > > @timmo said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I don't think Lab will do much better in the Midlands. In my centre left wing circles Imet only one person voting Labour in the Euros, and that was only because she is a friend of the candidate. It is possible that they may do a bit better in some parts of the North, but I am hopeful that my fiver at 60/1 on Lab under 10% pays off. More likely they will scrape in slightly better than that.
    > >
    > > Both major parties under 15% seems a cert
    >
    > I stand by my prediction of Con beating Lab into fourth place.

You did say that - and I thought you were barking at the time.

Much respect if you have this right.
  • Options
    I think all the Euro polls putting Labour ahead of the LDs are a load of cobblers.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

The weirdest thing is seeing wannabe PMs lining up to trash what very limited freedom of movement they might have had. Promising unequivocally to leave on the 31st October is spectacularly stupid, given that in almost any scenario including no deal it might not be possible to get the necessary legislation passed and arrangements made in time. They are setting themselves up for failure and giving ammunition to Nigel Farage - the exact opposite of what they think they are doing. How stupid is that?

The Conservative Party appears to be lacking anyone capable of leading the country, delivering Brexit, and winning the next general election. At this point the only thing left to debate is how catastrophic the next premiership will be.
  • Options

Votes in 2014

NE - 609k

SE - 2,348K

Anyone else surprised the NE finished the count before London?

Don't the North East always seem to be first to announce the results in General Elections as well?

They've got one up on London in the play off final anyway, in bizarre circumstances
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @brendan16 said:
    > > @ralphmalph said:
    > > > @timmo said:
    > > > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
    > >
    > > Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
    >
    > You will probably only need 7% to win a seat in London - its a 10 seat region. The BP will certainly win a seat there even if polling is massively out - if polling is anyway right they will win at least 2. Outer London boroughs - outside the bubble - like Bromley, Bexley, Havering, Barking and Dagenham, Hounslow, Hillingdon etc etc contain lots of leave voters so should also turnout for the BP.

Also Newham which is poor outer London, was like 47% Leave.

But I can't see many of the people who live there voting for The Brexit Party.
  • Options
    Rory seems to have forgotten the 1970s:

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1132645699097628673
  • Options
    Enfield is usually a very bad area for the LDs. If they've won there it would be spectacular but I'm sceptical about that report.
  • Options
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    >
    >
    > > On the issue of revealing the results, "not disputing" is not the same as "saying". If I don't dispute that my mum is a hamster, that doesn't mean I've said my mum is a hamster, I've just chosen not to argue the point.
    >
    >
    >
    > Enfield seems most unlikely, unless everyone's winning 10 - 15% there
    >
    > The tory vote has just dissappeared..
    > Wait and see

> @oxfordsimon said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > Indeed. The LDs are or have been strong in all those except Enfield and Barnet. If they really have won in those two Boroughs then London is going to be exceptionally good for them. The caveat is that the papers won’t be mixed across wards, and whoever is providing the reports may only be looking at papers from one part of the Borough, which may not be representative.
    >
    > Indeed. I know people are eager for the numbers - but speculation/wishful thinking/despair based on rumour and limited reports really doesn't help anyone.
    >
    > I know it is 7 hours more to wait for real data to emerge. We ought not to get too ahead of ourselves.

--------------------

And it may be a good time to remind people about Kerry McCarthy in 2010; she got a police caution for revealing postal vote proportions (IIRC) and there were a lot of people rapidly deleting posts on here.
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > If the Lib Dems are beating Labour in Camden then the Survation poll which always looked a bit strange is going to be badly wrong .
    >
    > That had Labour on 23 and the Lib Dems on 12 nationally .
    >
    > Those numbers looked out of place given other polls showed the Lib Dems taking a lot of voters off Labour .
    >
    > If Labour are losing Camden they’re in deep trouble .

More of the bubble. The Lib Dems ran Camden council under Blair and Brown - Camden voted 76% remain. It is very typical of an inner London solidly remain borough - trying to project beyond that class of authorities may a valid approach or it may not.

We may find again London votes solidly one way - but the rest of England and Wales excluding a few university towns votes differently.
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > Camden turnout 44.8 % .
    >
    > Pretty good , up around 4 points on 2014.
    >
    > 74.9 % Remain in 2016.

Its all Lib Dem. If this is not just a London effect then this is going to the best night for the Liberal Democrats in over a century.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @timmo said:
    > > Southwark
    > > Barnet
    > > Sutton
    > > Enfield
    > > Kingston
    > > Richmond
    > > Close in others
    >
    > That's supposed to be kept secret until 10pm, officially.

If the libdems have won in Barnet and Enfield they have surely topped the vote in London?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    > @Foxy said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > > @timmo said:
    > >
    > > > > @timmo said:
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > > There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > Have you heard if the BP will win a seat(s) in London?
    > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > > No idea but i think they are doingbwell enough to be well in the mix. Labour are getting crucified in central london.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I don't think Lab will do much better in the Midlands. In my centre left wing circles Imet only one person voting Labour in the Euros, and that was only because she is a friend of the candidate. It is possible that they may do a bit better in some parts of the North, but I am hopeful that my fiver at 60/1 on Lab under 10% pays off. More likely they will scrape in slightly better than that.
    > >
    > > Both major parties under 15% seems a cert
    >
    > I stand by my prediction of Con beating Lab into fourth place.

That would be a political earthquake.
  • Options
    > @nunuone said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > @timmo said:
    > > > I am hearing that LDs have won the following.
    > > > Camden by a landslide
    > > > Southwark
    > > > Barnet
    > > > Sutton
    > > > Enfield
    > > > Kingston
    > > > Richmond
    > > > Close in others
    > >
    > > That's supposed to be kept secret until 10pm, officially.
    >
    > If the libdems have won in Barnet and Enfield they have surely topped the vote in London?

Likely to be first in Lewisham as well
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    Out of interest could one of you folk with experience of counts educate those of us with none as to how it’s done? I’m guessing you first screen out spoilt ballots then use the staff to count piles of (100?) votes per candidate? If that’s close to how it’s done, surely you can do that really quickly, even with thousands to count?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @nunuone said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > @timmo said:
    > > > I am hearing that LDs have won the following.
    > > > Camden by a landslide
    > > > Southwark
    > > > Barnet
    > > > Sutton
    > > > Enfield
    > > > Kingston
    > > > Richmond
    > > > Close in others
    > >
    > > That's supposed to be kept secret until 10pm, officially.
    >
    > If the libdems have won in Barnet and Enfield they have surely topped the vote in London?

Enfield was one of the worst places in London for the LDs at the last Euro election, they only got 3%. It would be amazing if they've won there.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @rottenborough said:
    > Three weeks of voting by Tory MPs:
    >
    --------

I'd be surprised if all the declared candidates make it to the starting gate.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Cicero said:

Its all Lib Dem. If this is not just a London effect then this is going to the best night for the Liberal Democrats in over a century.

Speaking of which, did anyone else spot Chuka's piece in the i on Friday? https://inews.co.uk/opinion/chuka-umunna-change-uk-independent-group-liberal-democrats-green/

"Second, there is a huge opportunity for the centre ground to regroup and play a decisive role. That demands that we work together instead of competing. We have a historic opportunity to break the dysfunctional two-party system. In the days ahead we will be consulting our staff, candidates and supporters on how to move forward."

If the Lib Dems have a barnstorming night, and CUK win no seats, I wonder if "how to move forward" might become "dissolve ourselves and become part of the Lib Dems".
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > > @timmo said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The Tories wont win a single seat anywhere is my prediction.

Wouldn't that mean they would have to be at like below 7% in the southeast region? I don't think hell has frozen over just yet.......
This discussion has been closed.