Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time ever neither LAB nor CON occupy the top two

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » For the first time ever neither LAB nor CON occupy the top two slots in a Westminster voting intention poll

As had been leaked earlier yesterday evening the latest Times YouGov poll has historic changes in the party order with the Lib Dems on 24% two points ahead of BXP with Labour and the Tories both on 19%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    First... like the Lib Dems? :o
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,556
    Second! Like the Brexit Party....
    That's one way to get negotiators to up their game:

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1134236641047011333
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928
    On this poll all 4 parties would be on 20 to 30% in Peterborough on UNS next week though the Brexit Party won the area in the European Parliament elections
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    > @another_richard said:
    >
    > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    >

They will on these numbers.

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
  • nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > >
    > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > >
    >
    > They will on these numbers.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    >

Just LOL at trying to predict seat numbers with these numbers.
    Every seat is a mariginal! Apart from Liverpool...

Liverpool will always be Labour.
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    > @nunuone said:
    > Every seat is a mariginal! Apart from Liverpool...
    >
    > Liverpool will always be Labour.

That's what they said about Glasgow......
  • TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2019

> @another_richard said:

>

> The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.

>

They will on these numbers.

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592

It seems unlikely but if that poll happened in a general election the Conservatives dropping to 4th largest party would be a very silver lining, Jess Phillips losing her seat to the Lib Dems would be a shame....

Edit: Be nice for the Indy as well, is it a woman in Devon or somewhere like that I've heard about before?
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    5 per> @nunuone said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > @another_richard said:
    > > >
    > > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > > >
    > >
    > > They will on these numbers.
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    > >
    >
    > Just LOL at trying to predict seat numbers with these numbers.

Liz Truss is forecast to lose her Norfolk seat to the Brexit party by 0.02 percent on that forecast - which sort of proves your point! And the forecast has the BXP winning no seats at all in the south west outside Plymouth - which again doesn't seem wholly likely looking at the results last week.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
    > @HYUFD said:
    > On this poll all 4 parties would be on 20 to 30% in Peterborough on UNS next week though the Brexit Party won the area in the European Parliament elections

It would be quite a feat for the LDs to go from 3.3% to victory in Peterborough. Who knows?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,963
    > @brendan16 said:
    >
    > Liz Truss is forecast to lose her Norfolk seat to the Brexit party by 0.02 percent on that forecast - which sort of proves your point!
    -------

Andrea Leadsom looks to be one of the only leadership contenders who's reasonably safe at the moment.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,577
    AndyJS said:

> @HYUFD said:

> On this poll all 4 parties would be on 20 to 30% in Peterborough on UNS next week though the Brexit Party won the area in the European Parliament elections

It would be quite a feat for the LDs to go from 3.3% to victory in Peterborough. Who knows?

I know things are crazy at the moment but it's not a Remain area. Even if the most remainiest of Remainer Peterborougians piled in en mass to vote LD, they'd still get about, um, eight votes?

:)
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,194
    edited May 2019
    Well, one poll and all that... Let's see what Peterborough brings. However, there is no doubt that the Lib Dems are really fired up and after two good elections, the electorate is clearly swinging behind the idea of No Brexit.

Even if TBP Ltd got Peterborough they are pretty unlikely to get Brecon, so the Lib Dems are still likely to have the wind in their sails with a new leader after the summer.
    Corbyn's mishandling of the Campbell affair is going to cost him further.
    Meanwhile the Tory leadership race is likely to increase party divisions not reduce them.
    So after the CHUKers chuck it in, there could be a fair few others seeking to cross the floor... Any bets on the size of the Lib Dem Parliamentary party by year end?
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @Cicero said:
    > Well, one poll and all that... Let's see what Peterborough brings. However, there is no doubt that the Lib Dems are really fired up and after two good elections, the electorate is clearly swinging behind the idea of No Brexit.
    >
    > Even if TBP Ltd got Peterborough they are pretty unlikely to get Brecon, so the Lib Dems are still likely to have the wind in their sails with a new leader after the summer.
    > Corbyn's mishandling of the Campbell affair is going to cost him further.
    > Meanwhile the Tory leadership race is likely to increase party divisions not reduce them.
    > So after the CHUKers chuck it in, there could be a fair few others seeking to cross the floor... Any bets on the size of the Lib Dem Parliamentary party by year end?

There is no evidence of the electorate as a whole swinging for or against anything. It rather reinforces the impression that we are deadlocked.

Yes, the Conservative leadership will highlight divisions - but it is also an opportunity to heal some of them (if they play it right) - Labour doesn't have anything close to a healing opportunity at present. And let's not forget that the LDs have their own leadership election going on.

Trying to read anything into this poll other than acknowledging this snapshot for being what it is really doesn't achieve anything. I know people love to speculate and extrapolate. But until this becomes a trend, it is nothing other than 1 opinion poll carried out in a particularly fractious period.
    Brecon should be a shoo-in for the yellows if there is a by-election there.
    I want a four way General Election to happen so badly.

My vote might actually matter for a change.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    > @Cicero said:

Time for some MPs to defect? There must be a few more Lab MPs in London/SE/SW who were sick of Corbyn but didn't want to go kamikaze with CHUK, some of them must look at this polling and think maybe they have a better chance under the LD flag.

Then once the Tories elect their headbanger it'll be time for Tories in a similar situation to jump, and you have a GE basically under the current conditions, only with the headbanger drawing some of the Brexit voters from Brexit back to Con, and pushing more of the Remain Tories over to LD.
    edited May 2019
    > @Cicero said:
    > Well, one poll and all that... Let's see what Peterborough brings. However, there is no doubt that the Lib Dems are really fired up and after two good elections, the electorate is clearly swinging behind the idea of No Brexit.
    >
    > Even if TBP Ltd got Peterborough they are pretty unlikely to get Brecon, so the Lib Dems are still likely to have the wind in their sails with a new leader after the summer.
    > Meanwhile the Tory leadership race is likely to increase party divisions not reduce them.
    > So after the CHUKers chuck it in, there could be a fair few others seeking to cross the floor... Any bets on the size of the Lib Dem Parliamentary party by year end?

I don't think there's any evidence that the country as a whole is swinging very clearly behind the idea of No Brexit. The country is just as divided as it was in 2016 as far as I can see.

What there is very clear evidence for is that the Labour Party is finding it increasingly difficult to keep its Remain and Leave supporters on board at the same time, losing support to the LDs and Greens in London and other cities / university towns, and to the Brexit Party in the North and Midlands. The Tories have similar problems, although with them it's more likely to be between the supporters of No Deal Brexit and pro-Deal Brexit than between Brexit of any type and Remain as it is for Labour.
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Brecon should be a shoo-in for the yellows if there is a by-election there.

I have no idea as to the strength of feeling in Brecon around the recall petition.

With Peterborough, it is a far more obvious act of criminality

Yes, making up a couple of invoices is illegal - but there was no personal gain, it was a clumsy and wrong way of reclaiming a legitimate expense.

No denying the illegality - but in terms of seriousness, it doesn't feel as bad

However I have no idea how it is playing locally. Anyone got a sense of it?
  • PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    If I recall correctly at least one of the indicative Brexit votes only lost by two votes.
    Is there a possibility that theses two by elections and a potential change to parliamentary arithmetic would tip the balance ?

> @Cicero said:

Time for some MPs to defect? There must be a few more Lab MPs in London/SE/SW who were sick of Corbyn but didn't want to go kamikaze with CHUK, some of them must look at this polling and think maybe they have a better chance under the LD flag.

Then once the Tories elect their headbanger it'll be time for Tories in a similar situation to jump, and you have a GE basically under the current conditions, only with the headbanger drawing some of the Brexit voters from Brexit back to Con, and pushing more of the Remain Tories over to LD.

One of the big Lib Dem advantages at the moment is unity, are they going to want big egos from Labour who kick up a fuss and attack their own parties when they don't get their own way...

I can see the advantage from a Labour point of view.
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > @Cicero said:
    > > Corbyn's mishandling of the Campbell affair is going to cost him further.
    >
    > Time for some MPs to defect? There must be a few more Lab MPs in London/SE/SW who were sick of Corbyn but didn't want to go kamikaze with CHUK, some of them must look at this polling and think maybe they have a better chance under the LD flag.
    >
    > Then once the Tories elect their headbanger it'll be time for Tories in a similar situation to jump, and you have a GE basically under the current conditions, only with the headbanger drawing some of the Brexit voters from Brexit back to Con, and pushing more of the Remain Tories over to LD.

I would anticipate that assuming any general election was held in the autumn that by then the Labour conference would have forced the party to adopt a revoke/remain/2nd ref manifesto commitment.
    > @TheJezziah said:
    > One of the big Lib Dem advantages at the moment is unity, are they going to want big egos from Labour who kick up a fuss and attack their own parties when they don't get their own way...
    >
    > I can see the advantage from a Labour point of view.

This attitude is why your tent keeps shrinking.
    edited May 2019
    PaulM said:

> @edmundintokyo said:

> > @Cicero said:

> > Corbyn's mishandling of the Campbell affair is going to cost him further.

>

> Time for some MPs to defect? There must be a few more Lab MPs in London/SE/SW who were sick of Corbyn but didn't want to go kamikaze with CHUK, some of them must look at this polling and think maybe they have a better chance under the LD flag.

>

> Then once the Tories elect their headbanger it'll be time for Tories in a similar situation to jump, and you have a GE basically under the current conditions, only with the headbanger drawing some of the Brexit voters from Brexit back to Con, and pushing more of the Remain Tories over to LD.

I would anticipate that assuming any general election was held in the autumn that by then the Labour conference would have forced the party to adopt a revoke/remain/2nd ref manifesto commitment.

I've said this a couple of times previously, isn't guaranteed but I'm struggling to see how it won't happen.

It is worth noting that the Labour MPs most loudly (or most bitterly) complaining are generally anti Corbyn, those most in favour of a second referendum but less passionately anti Corbyn are a bit quieter. My suspicion would be it is because the latter group think they will get their way whilst the former group will not.

> @TheJezziah said:

> One of the big Lib Dem advantages at the moment is unity, are they going to want big egos from Labour who kick up a fuss and attack their own parties when they don't get their own way...

>

You won't be saying that when Jess Phillips is in the papers trashing her Lib Dem party every weekend...
    Procedural question:

IIUC the Tory leadership election is supposed to end in the middle of July. Parliament <a href="https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/">generally goes into recess in late July</a>.

There's a non-trivial possibility that the Tory leadership election will result a bunch of Tories resigning the whip, and the government losing its majority. Nobody else can make one, so this should trigger a new election two weeks later.

What happens if parliament was supposed to go into recess before two weeks are up? Does the clock stop until it comes back? Do the two weeks tick down regardless of the absence of a parliament to approve a successor? Or can parliament not go into recess?
    > @PaulM said:
    > I would anticipate that assuming any general election was held in the autumn that by then the Labour conference would have forced the party to adopt a revoke/remain/2nd ref manifesto commitment.

I'm not sure the next general election will wait until the autumn. (See procedural question post.)
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > Procedural question:
    >
    > IIUC the Tory leadership election is supposed to end in the middle of July. Parliament <a href="https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/">generally goes into recess in late July</a>.
    >
    > There's a non-trivial possibility that the Tory leadership election will result a bunch of Tories resigning the whip, and the government losing its majority. Nobody else can make one, so this should trigger a new election two weeks later.
    >
    > What happens if parliament was supposed to go into recess before two weeks are up? Does the clock stop until it comes back? Do the two weeks tick down regardless of the absence of a parliament to approve a successor? Or can parliament not go into recess?
    >
    >

Resigning the whip wouldn't trigger an election unless a confidence motion was brought and lost. I'd think that no-one would want an election during the school holidays, but can any member call for a confidence motion or does it need to be the leader of the opposition ? (In other words, would the timing be in Corbyn's control)
    > @PaulM said:
    > Resigning the whip wouldn't trigger an election unless a confidence motion was brought and lost. I'd think that no-one would want an election during the school holidays, but can any member call for a confidence motion or does it need to be the leader of the opposition ? (In other words, would the timing be in Corbyn's control)

IIUC it's conventionally the leader of the opposition who brings a confidence motion, but if they don't bring it somebody else can. Corbyn could of course vote with the government, but it's hard to see.

Also there's a brexit deadline at the end of October which may or may not be extendable, so unless you want No Deal I think you want to get the thing moving, summer holidays or not.
    There was an attempt by Cable to move a VONC earlier on in this process and it wasn't even called for a vote.

So it is only the LOTO who can move such a motion and guarantee that it will reach the floor of the house (within 24 hours)

In terms of Parliament rising for the summer, that date can be changed easily enough it is not writ in stone - so should the 2 week window run over the initial date, a simple business motion could extend the sitting long enough to resolve the issue (or not)

Given the febrile nature of the polls, Corbyn may not wish to move a vote unless he feels confident of being able to form some sort of administration in the aftermath.

As things stand, I don't believe he can command the majority of the House - so he is not likely to be able to form an administration ahead of an election. The question is - can he feel confident about forming one after the election?

The figures don't exactly look good in that regard. The price some of the smaller parties might demand may well be one he is not willing to pay.

We might see some sort of holding pattern as the parties circle one another - no-one being willing to press the self-destruct button quite yet.
    Betting on the LDs getting second place in Peterborough might be value.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Labour activist admits to systematically lying to voters on their doorsteps:

- “... non-official policy lines that I repeatedly used on the doorstep...“

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-european-elections-mep-northeast-brexit-final-say-a8934686.html

There was an attempt by Cable to move a VONC earlier on in this process and it wasn't even called for a vote.

So it is only the LOTO who can move such a motion and guarantee that it will reach the floor of the house (within 24 hours)

In terms of Parliament rising for the summer, that date can be changed easily enough it is not writ in stone - so should the 2 week window run over the initial date, a simple business motion could extend the sitting long enough to resolve the issue (or not)

Given the febrile nature of the polls, Corbyn may not wish to move a vote unless he feels confident of being able to form some sort of administration in the aftermath.

As things stand, I don't believe he can command the majority of the House - so he is not likely to be able to form an administration ahead of an election. The question is - can he feel confident about forming one after the election?

The figures don't exactly look good in that regard. The price some of the smaller parties might demand may well be one he is not willing to pay.

We might see some sort of holding pattern as the parties circle one another - no-one being willing to press the self-destruct button quite yet.

Corbyn has mentioned a general election at least once (probably more) since the Euro election results. I don't like to rule things out but it seems very unlikely that Corbyn wouldn't snatch at the chance of a general election if it comes up. The polls showed a hell of a lot worse for Labour last time he happily went for an election, given he has also called for it repeatedly this time I think you have to work with the assumption he does want a general election.
    Cicero said:

the electorate is clearly swinging behind the idea of No Brexit.

Citation required......

In hindsight, do you think Britain was right or wrong to vote to leave the European Union?
    Right to leave 46 (-2)
    Wrong to leave 41 (-)
    Don't know 13 (+2)

84% of Leave voters think its right to leave, 87% of Remain voters think its wrong.....

Nothing has changed.
    edited May 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I quite like Layla Moran but from a partisan perspective I was hoping for Swinson as I think she might be more appealing to Tories (than Layla anyway)

Edit: I understand Layla isn't running anyway...
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > >
    > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > >
    >
    > They will on these numbers.
    >
    > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    >

Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:

SNP 57 seats (+22)
    Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    Con 0 seats (-13)
    Lab 0 seats (-7)

The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Labour activist admits to systematically lying to voters on their doorsteps:

- “... non-official policy lines that I repeatedly used on the doorstep...“

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-european-elections-mep-northeast-brexit-final-say-a8934686.html

The examples given were: Claiming that we would have already left the EU if it weren’t for Labour, or that we were at heart a Remain party which hardly constitute systematically lying. The first is true, even if the ERG could make the same claim; the second is probably true and at worst a matter of opinion.
    Matt is a genius.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,883
    > @StuartDickson said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:
    >
    > SNP 57 seats (+22)
    > Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    > Con 0 seats (-13)
    > Lab 0 seats (-7)
    >
    > The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).
    >
    > https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

Flavible map won't happen. Brexit party score in Tottenham is way too high for instance.
    Lab and Tory are two sclerotic pillars holding each other up. No surprise the rise of Farage is leading to such amazing polling for the Lib Dems.
    The southwest looks very plausible mind !
    Who are these Flavible people? Suddenly see them shared all over the place, but they have no track record to compare to Baxter et al.

The website says:
    - “Flavible is an independent commentator on UK politics, specialising in seat projection and statistical analysis. It was founded by George Rushton, Co-Founder and Director of Flavible LTD... George Rushton: Software developer with a keen interest in politics, statistics and political analysis. Sole developer of all things Flavible Politics.“

Sounds suspiciously like a schoolboy having a wee dabble.
    Non-snarky question for @TheJezziah and any of our other Corbyn advocates: Can you imagine a situation where you might say, "OK, Jeremy isn't working out, we need somebody else"? How low would Labour have to poll, for instance?

Who are these Flavible people? Suddenly see them shared all over the place, but they have no track record to compare to Baxter et al.

The website says:

- “Flavible is an independent commentator on UK politics, specialising in seat projection and statistical analysis. It was founded by George Rushton, Co-Founder and Director of Flavible LTD... George Rushton: Software developer with a keen interest in politics, statistics and political analysis. Sole developer of all things Flavible Politics.“

Sounds suspiciously like a schoolboy having a wee dabble.

Not quite a schoolboy, but Mr Rushton is but 25.....

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/dqiSijBc2JiFa2G9C3STiD2cgko/appointments
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,196

That's one way to get negotiators to up their game:

Not if they are dead.

• Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,959

Non-snarky question for @TheJezziah and any of our other Corbyn advocates: Can you imagine a situation where you might say, "OK, Jeremy isn't working out, we need somebody else"? How low would Labour have to poll, for instance?

Polls are irrelevant to the starovery as they have the somewhat founded belief that the daft old twat will out perform the polls in a GE campaign and is a good campaigner.

At a minimum he will be allowed to lose another GE and he may not even go after that. It's not Jeremy himself that's venerated; it's what he represents.
    edited May 2019

Realistically I'm not sure there is....

I want a left wing domestic and foreign policy offering to vote for, that is inevitably going to attract criticism and attacks.

If my reaction to that negative reaction is to take out anyone who advocates my politics then my politics are never going to get anywhere.

Ultimately Corbyn may just end up making it much easier for his left wing successor if he can't reach number 10, his internal enemies will have expended so much energy, goodwill and political capital stopping him that they will be too marginalised to attack his successor anywhere near as successfully. The CUK MPs for example can't do anywhere near as much damage as they have to Corbyn, some others will step down by the time of the next election.

I'd rather just attract people and keep them on side with our policy offering but Farage has shown how powerful a betrayal narrative can be, if we fail at the next election Labour members aren't going to flock into the arms of progress and other centrist Labour groups for helping secure a Tory government for 5/X more years.

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,960
    Good morning, everyone.

With Labour, isn't there a risk the leadership just says "ok" and purges non-far left types?
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > Who are these Flavible people? Suddenly see them shared all over the place, but they have no track record to compare to Baxter et al.
    >
    >
    >
    > The website says:
    >
    > - “Flavible is an independent commentator on UK politics, specialising in seat projection and statistical analysis. It was founded by George Rushton, Co-Founder and Director of Flavible LTD... George Rushton: Software developer with a keen interest in politics, statistics and political analysis. Sole developer of all things Flavible Politics.“
    >
    >
    >
    > Sounds suspiciously like a schoolboy having a wee dabble.
    >
    > Not quite a schoolboy, but Mr Rushton is but 25.....
    >
    > https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/dqiSijBc2JiFa2G9C3STiD2cgko/appointments

Jeepers kreepers: “Occupation: Student”

Duly added to my Smelly List.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Weren't the Alliance polling 50% circa 1982? Weren't the Conservatives 20% ahead of Labour about two months out from the 2017 election? These sorts of extraordinary polling results make for interesting discussion topics, but they're so fickle and unreliable that they're little more than that.

As far as Peterborough is concerned, one would have to conclude that a Conservative collapse is likely, but a Labour one isn't. Peterborough was one of the handful of counting areas in the East of England region where Labour wasn't ground down to about 5% of the vote last week, even if its performance there wasn't exactly stellar. There's a sufficient BAME vote in the constituency to keep it in the game; the question is whether there's also a large enough "anyone but Farage" leftist vote in the seat as well, willing to back Labour (whether they do so holding their noses or not) to get them over the line.

The Labour brand itself is now so damaged, through the combination of its muddled European position and the fact that Corbyn is also a controversial, Marmite politician, that it's quite possible that there isn't.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,190
    > @StuartDickson said:
    > > @williamglenn said:
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:
    >
    > SNP 57 seats (+22)
    > Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    > Con 0 seats (-13)
    > Lab 0 seats (-7)
    >
    > The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).
    >
    > https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf

What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,473
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

> @HYUFD said:

I know things are crazy at the moment but it's not a Remain area. Even if the most remainiest of Remainer Peterborougians piled in en mass to vote LD, they'd still get about, um, eight votes?

:)
    Lab took it from the Tories in 2017 after it had voted Leave. In 2010 LDs got 19% of the vote. There is no CHUK, but it would take quite a bit of tactical voting.

> @PaulM said:
    > > @edmundintokyo said:
    > > Procedural question:
    > >
    > > IIUC the Tory leadership election is supposed to end in the middle of July. Parliament <a href="https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/">generally goes into recess in late July</a>.
    > >
    > > There's a non-trivial possibility that the Tory leadership election will result a bunch of Tories resigning the whip, and the government losing its majority. Nobody else can make one, so this should trigger a new election two weeks later.
    > >
    > > What happens if parliament was supposed to go into recess before two weeks are up? Does the clock stop until it comes back? Do the two weeks tick down regardless of the absence of a parliament to approve a successor? Or can parliament not go into recess?
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Resigning the whip wouldn't trigger an election unless a confidence motion was brought and lost. I'd think that no-one would want an election during the school holidays, but can any member call for a confidence motion or does it need to be the leader of the opposition ? (In other words, would the timing be in Corbyn's control)

Any member can table one - but it would be seriously career limiting and would be ignored by the speaker if it were not a party leader. And, by convention, whereas the speaker has to make time for one coming from the leader of the official opposition (one of its privileges), such motions can be ignored if coming from elsewhere. Remember earlier in the year the SNP, LibDems and various other parties had tabled one which the speaker was ignoring, to put pressure on Corbyn.

> @TheJezziah said:

>

You won't be saying that when Jess Phillips is in the papers trashing her Lib Dem party every weekend...
    Jess is Labour through and through. That is why she cares so much about the crap going on at the top.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    > @IanB2 said:
    > What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.

The map is truly... fascinating.

I, for one, anticipate the triumphant storming of the Isle of Wight by the forces of eco-socialism with giddy excitement.

I mean, come off it!
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    > @TheJezziah said:
    > https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1134219806671028229
    >
    >
    >
    > I quite like Layla Moran but from a partisan perspective I was hoping for Swinson as I think she might be more appealing to Tories (than Layla anyway)
    >
    > Edit: I understand Layla isn't running anyway...

Layla overturned a CON 10k majority at GE17
    @TheJezziah Thanks for the straightforward answer
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,904
    edited May 2019
    > @edmundintokyo said:
    > Non-snarky question for @TheJezziah and any of our other Corbyn advocates: Can you imagine a situation where you might say, "OK, Jeremy isn't working out, we need somebody else"? How low would Labour have to poll, for instance?

Yeah can definitely imagine such a situation. My view is the 2017 result earned him the right to another crack at a general election. If he can't form a govt after that then it's time to move on.

Going before then? I don't have a huge amount of faith in polls without a date for an election.
    I remember feeling confident Ed M was leading and feeling despondent that Corbyn was going to get crushed.

What would be fairly damning in my view is if other (non-tory) parties start overtaking Labour. So this latest poll result is definitely concerning.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Good morning, everyone.

With Labour, isn't there a risk the leadership just says "ok" and purges non-far left types?

No, the leadership has shown no inclination to get involved in candidate selection. Even on pb, most of the calls for their own party's candidates to be dropped or the whip withdrawn are from Conservatives unhappy at MPs pro- or anti-Brexit stance.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Worth noting that YouGov got the EU election result pretty much spot on - except on the BXP result, which was beyond the margin of error too high.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,213
    AndyJS said:

> @HYUFD said:

They’ve got a much better record fighting by elections than Farage.

> @TheJezziah said:

>

>

>

>

> I quite like Layla Moran but from a partisan perspective I was hoping for Swinson as I think she might be more appealing to Tories (than Layla anyway)

>

> Edit: I understand Layla isn't running anyway...

Layla overturned a CON 10k majority at GE17
    I wasn't suggesting Layla couldn't attract Tories just my impression that between the two of them Swinson would be more appealing to Tories than Layla and the reverse with Labour voters.

For example my guess based on my impressions is if you asked for a preference from Conservatives Swinson would beat Layla and the reverse with Labour. Although that is just based on my own impressions I haven't seen any polling on it.

IanB2 said:

> @StuartDickson said:

> > @williamglenn said:

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> SNP 57 seats (+22)

> Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)

> Con 0 seats (-13)

> Lab 0 seats (-7)

>

>

What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.
    The Danelaw for Tories and Brexit, Saxon England for the LDs :)

Flavible makes interesting maps quickly, but track record is a bit thin. Not too far out on this projection made eve of Euro-poll.

https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1131518309860597761?s=19

> @IanB2 said:
    > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > >
    > > > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > They will on these numbers.
    > > >
    > > > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    > > >
    > >
    > > Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:
    > >
    > > SNP 57 seats (+22)
    > > Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    > > Con 0 seats (-13)
    > > Lab 0 seats (-7)
    > >
    > > The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).
    > >
    > > https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
    >
    > What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.

It’s a very neat division between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings. The border is essentially Watling Street. To the West is Alfred’s Kingdom to the East is Danelaw. Probably entirely coincidental, but it is very stark. In English politics the East/West divide is just as significant as the North/South.
    Peterborough is a hold for Labour on both flavible and electoral calculus with that poll.

> @IanB2 said:

The map is truly... fascinating.

I, for one, anticipate the triumphant storming of the Isle of Wight by the forces of eco-socialism with giddy excitement.

I mean, come off it!

I cannot see it either, but there is quite a hippie/surfer dude culture in parts of the Isle. Greens got 15% last GE.
    F1: rumour Hulkenberg's in talks with Red Bull for 2020.

If that's accurate, bearing in mind the rules don't change significantly next year so the current two-tiers are almost certain to be maintained, if you could find a market on him being top 6 or scoring X points could be worth a look.

But that's a big 'if'.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    > @SouthamObserver said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > They will on these numbers.
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:
    > > >
    > > > SNP 57 seats (+22)
    > > > Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    > > > Con 0 seats (-13)
    > > > Lab 0 seats (-7)
    > > >
    > > > The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).
    > > >
    > > > https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
    > >
    > > What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.
    >
    > It’s a very neat division between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings. The border is essentially Watling Street. To the West is Alfred’s Kingdom to the East is Danelaw. Probably entirely coincidental, but it is very stark. In English politics the East/West divide is just as significant as the North/South.

Find it difficult to believe the Flavible projection; it would require a big shift in habits, although of course, once broken.........
    And the Alliance once led the polls IIRC. Much good did it do them when push came to shove, although there was the little matter of the Falklands.
    And, if I could comment on the geographical divide, it appears to be NE vs SW, and, again IIRC, there are clear and ancient genetic differences between 'traditional' residents of those areas.
    > @Black_Rook said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > What is striking about the map is the line from Chester through London to Eastbourne, west of much pretty much everything goes LibDem, whereas north and east of the line it’s Brexit territory outside the big cities, excepting the M11 corridor.
    >
    > The map is truly... fascinating.
    >
    > I, for one, anticipate the triumphant storming of the Isle of Wight by the forces of eco-socialism with giddy excitement.
    >
    > I mean, come off it!

It’s a brave person who dismisses any political scenario nowadays with “come off it” (HY’s predictions excepted, obviously)
    > @SouthamObserver said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @StuartDickson said:
    > > > > @williamglenn said:
    > > > > > @another_richard said:
    > > > > >
    > > > > > The Conservatives aren't going to lose Wokingham, Maidenhead and Esher.
    > > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > They will on these numbers.
    > > > >
    > > > > https://twitter.com/flaviblePolitic/status/1134208937828462592
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > Dunno why Flavible paints half of Scotland Lib Dem. If you pump YouGov’s figures into Electoral Calculus Scottish seats calculator you get:
    > > >
    > > > SNP 57 seats (+22)
    > > > Lib Dems 2 seats (-2)
    > > > Con 0 seats (-13)
    > > > Lab 0 seats (-7)
    > > >
    > > > The only two Lib Dem holds would be Orkney & Shetland and East Dunbartonshire (Jo Swinson’s seat).
    > > >
    > > > https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/k5jkiheowo/TheTimes_190529_VI_Trackers_w.pdf
    > >
    >
    > It’s a very neat division between the Anglo-Saxons and the Vikings. The border is essentially Watling Street. To the West is Alfred’s Kingdom to the East is Danelaw. Probably entirely coincidental, but it is very stark. In English politics the East/West divide is just as significant as the North/South.

And the Norwegians and many Danes are very anti-EU, too. Can we send these Vikings back home? ;)
    > @Casino_Royale said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > On this poll all 4 parties would be on 20 to 30% in Peterborough on UNS next week though the Brexit Party won the area in the European Parliament elections
    >
    >
    >
    > It would be quite a feat for the LDs to go from 3.3% to victory in Peterborough. Who knows?
    >
    > They’ve got a much better record fighting by elections than Farage.

It is however rather late, and I don’t get the impression everything has been thrown at it in the way of previous successes. I haven’t had a single email asking me to go there. Rightly, the party was mostly focused on the Locals carrying through into the Euros, and its now too late to get a good ground game off the ground.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Wouldn't that be great? No Boris. No Corbyn. No Brexit. Just get rid of the obesity problem and the UK could rejoin the list of attractive nations again.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,147
    On Teesside the UNS swing map is entertaining. Labour lose both Stockton seats Hartlepool, Darlington and Redcar to Brexit, yet regain Middlesbrough South & East Cleveland from the Tories. Where the MP is an arch Brexiteer.

Whilst I absolutely trust that we would get many surprising results in this scenario, that one suggests that UNS does not apply...
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,995
    I find that Flavible projection a bit weird compared to the list of seats changing hands on Electoral Calculus e.g. the Brexit party gaining Stroud but failing to win Stoke North.

And I really don’t believe the LDs could win Maidenhead when they are 31k votes behind and in 3rd place!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    Alastair Campbell putting the boot in on Radio 4 .......
    The exit poll will be interesting.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What fun. For everyone saying, well it’s a reaction to the EU election results, well of course.

One thing that should petrify both Labour and the Conservatives is that the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party will feed off each other: it’s a lot easier for two warring insurgent parties to sustain their relevance than for one to do so. This state of affairs might well endure and indeed intensify if the public decides that each is the best way of stopping the other.
    Jo is another one who has chosen "change politics" as a campaign theme. Echoes of both CHUK and Brexit Party there.

https://twitter.com/joswinson/status/1134338981393383424?s=19

Probably got my vote though. LDs do well with Scottish leaders.
    Mr. Meeks, I strongly agree with that point.

Those who are strongly pro- or anti-EU can just stay with BP or the Lib Dems, and the two 'main' parties will find it difficult to change things. They either effectively let one of the 'smaller' parties dictate their policy and become a diet Coke option, or they try to maintain a more nuanced/divided approach, losing support in both directions.

This is one area where a new leader can make a critical difference. A new leader can make an argument and try to persuade people. May horrendously failed at this (as Hammond does on the economy. We've had lots of surprisingly good news, particularly on employment, and he only ever shows up to spread gloom).

That could change the state of play.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Following the latest surprise YouGov poll the EMA (which smooths out noise) shows:

Con 24%, Lab 28%, LD 17%, TBP 20%

Con 226
    Lab 306
    LD 30
    TBP 12
    Green 1
    PC 4
    SNP 53
    NI `18

Lab 20 short of a majority government.

The Brexit Party tearing lumps out of the Tories but only getting 12 seats. LibDems tearing lumps out of the other side of the Tories and getting 30 seats. Labour coming through the middle with only 28% of the vote. But not enough to get a majority.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Jo Swinson does not rule out another Tory coalition.
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    > @GarethoftheVale2 said:
    > I find that Flavible projection a bit weird compared to the list of seats changing hands on Electoral Calculus e.g. the Brexit party gaining Stroud but failing to win Stoke North.
    >
    > And I really don’t believe the LDs could win Maidenhead when they are 31k votes behind and in 3rd place!

MRP models suggest Maidenhead is the seat with the most voters in the whole country who voted Tory in 2017 and Remain in 2016. It would be big, but not completely crazy on these kind of vote shares.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,961
    > @Cyclefree said:
    > Alastair Campbell putting the boot in on Radio 4 .......

I suspect the sun is now setting on Corbyn and momentum. Just can't see them coming back from this.
    Mr. Nashe, even if Corbyn goes, that might just mean McDonnell gets in. And he'd stand a better chance of becoming PM.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited May 2019
    > @ThomasNashe said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > Alastair Campbell putting the boot in on Radio 4 .......
    >
    > I suspect the sun is now setting on Corbyn and momentum. Just can't see them coming back from this.

Wishful thinking. They will not give up their grip on the party. They have worked for decades to get to this point. They would rather lose elections than let go. There is always someone else to blame for their failings.
    Mr. Jonathan, Watson may be regretting helping to stop Labour MPs jumping ship to CUK. If they'd done so in a large bloc, or several significant groups, things would be very different.
    > @ThomasNashe said:
    > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > Alastair Campbell putting the boot in on Radio 4 .......
    >
    > I suspect the sun is now setting on Corbyn and momentum. Just can't see them coming back from this.

Don't bet on it. Cancer has a nasty habit of dodging treatment. They won't stop until Labour is dead. We need to amputate them from the body.
    > @Jonathan said:
    > Jo Swinson does not rule out another Tory coalition.

She hasn't ruled out a coalition with The Brexit Party either. Each equally likely.
    A year ago today, Pedro Sánchez engineered a vote in the Spanish Parliament, and stitched together a coalition of support, that saw him replace Mariano Rajoy as Prime Minister. Since then he has revived PSOE, run the Spanish right ragged, won an election and transformed Spain’s political trajectory. It shows what a smart, engaging, non-racist, pro-European, pro-NATO social democrat can achieve. Meanwhile, in the UK ...
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Mr. Nashe, even if Corbyn goes, that might just mean McDonnell gets in. And he'd stand a better chance of becoming PM.

None of the cancer cult will be PM. There aren't enough votes on "we support a soft Brexit that Brexit supporters don't consider to be Brexit"
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @Jonathan said:
    > > @ThomasNashe said:
    > > > @Cyclefree said:
    > > > Alastair Campbell putting the boot in on Radio 4 .......
    > >
    > > I suspect the sun is now setting on Corbyn and momentum. Just can't see them coming back from this.
    >
    > Wishful thinking. They will not give up their grip on the party. They have worked for decades to get to this point. They would rather lose elections than let go. There is always someone else to blame for their failings.

Jonathan's right and as they won't leave the Party the Party will have to leave them. Time for CHUK The Greens and the Lib Dems to organise. Labour are a lost cause. When 3/4 of the MP's voted against the leadership and the leadership stayed on the party became a dead parrot.

Mr. Nashe, even if Corbyn goes, that might just mean McDonnell gets in. And he'd stand a better chance of becoming PM.

McDonnell doesn't want to be PM. He wants one of the three women (Thornberry, Long-Bailey or Raynor) to be PM as the face of the Labour party, while he is COE controlling policy.
This discussion has been closed.