Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:
    Strange expression on the evangelical bloke's face in that photo.

Looks like an extra from "Night of the Living Dead."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Off topic. I apologies for posting a Guido link but he's sharing gossip that the CHUK group will split after a meeting tomorrow.

Does anyone know if CHUK MPs joining the Lib Dems would be eligible to stand for LD leader?

Edit: Sorry but link didnt work - https://order-order.com/2019/06/03/chuk-mps-break-meeting-tomorrow/

I do hope so. I'm sure we could all do with a good laugh.
    Chuka at least would certainly be miles better than Jo Swinson or Ed Davey
    Surely the only qualification for being LibDem leader is to say the words

"Bollocks to Brexit"

without either smirking or grimacing.

Sadly, that's too much for most of their MPs.
  • Options

Off topic. I apologies for posting a Guido link but he's sharing gossip that the CHUK group will split after a meeting tomorrow.

Does anyone know if CHUK MPs joining the Lib Dems would be eligible to stand for LD leader?

Edit: Sorry but link didnt work - https://order-order.com/2019/06/03/chuk-mps-break-meeting-tomorrow/

Heidi would be well advised to go LibDem. If she wants to keep her job.
    Her and that lady from Totnes might hold their seats under LD banners. I can't see Anna Soubry fitting in anywhere (although who knows). For the Labourites it's a tough call.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:
    Strange expression on the evangelical bloke's face in that photo.

Looks like an extra from "Night of the Living Dead."
    Well that is an apt description of CUK at the moment really
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Regardless of how good or bad he might be, he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being elected leader of the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Surely the only qualification for being LibDem leader is to say the words

"Bollocks to Brexit"

without either smirking or grimacing.

Sadly, that's too much for most of their MPs.
    I think Chuka is a bit too slick for that
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Regardless of how good or bad he might be, he wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of being elected leader of the Lib Dems.
    Maybe not but remember the SDP-Liberal Alliance had co leaders in the 1980s, Jenkins and Steel and then Owen and Steel, if CUK and the LDs formed an alliance no reason that could not be repeated with co leaders Umunna and Swinson for example
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boris's campaign looked pretty well planned out to me. It's proceeding on the basis that if he gets to the final two he wins the members vote by default, so he's spending little time with the public and almost all of it behind the scenes wining, dining and wooing MPs one by one, and releasing a few more each day to keep momentum up, thereby pressuring the others.

He must be getting good advice.

Oh wow.
    Hallelujia! Commenting is fixed.

Which is ironic, as we're changing system after I move house next week.
    Test

Edit: hallelujah indeed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

"Birmingham LGBT row parents vow to continue school protests

Protesters against LGBT teaching at a Birmingham primary school have vowed to continue their opposition despite being banned from gathering outside the gates."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-birmingham-48504900/birmingham-lgbt-row-parents-vow-to-continue-school-protests

Bigots have very good staying power unfortunately.
    More importantly, they have votes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759
    kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

A super trouper, in fact. The lights are gonna find her...

Triggers me to end the evening with a joke that I have made up and depending on my mood think is either quite good or utterly crap and borderline childish.

Sweden, mid July, and Agnetha Faltskog just cannot sleep. It's 1 am and she still can't get off. To sleep. Perhaps because, this being Scandanavia, and it being high summer, it's broad daylight outside. The sun is out for god's sake!

So nothing for it, she gets up and goes out for a walk. It's actually quite hot!

Starts singing ...

"Gimme Gimme Gimme a Tan after Midnight."

:smile:
    "good" and "utterly crap and borderline childish" are not mutually exclusive when it comes to jokes... :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    justin124 said:

nico67 said:

Omg Raab for a fairer society !

The guy who wants to get rid of workers rights , and wants to turn the UK into a capitalists fantasy !

Very much the Arbeit Macht Frei candidate!
    Shame on you
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boris's campaign looked pretty well planned out to me. It's proceeding on the basis that if he gets to the final two he wins the members vote by default, so he's spending little time with the public and almost all of it behind the scenes wining, dining and wooing MPs one by one, and releasing a few more each day to keep momentum up, thereby pressuring the others.

Oh wow.

O which system?
  • Options
    So anyhoo. A little piece of bad news, although considering the illnesses of his later years, possibly a blessing... :(

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/03/paul-darrow-cult-favourite-in-blakes-7-dies-aged-78
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Maybe not but remember the SDP-Liberal Alliance had co leaders in the 1980s, Jenkins and Steel and then Owen and Steel, if CUK and the LDs formed an alliance no reason that could not be repeated with co leaders Umunna and Swinson for example
    The Greens already have co-leaders (Berry and Bartley).
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ultimately there remains only one way to stop Boris becoming PM...

Oh, just drop an anvil on him and have done. Although knowing him he'd probably get some ACME hole paint, paint a hole in the floor, and let the anvil fall thru the floor. Bloody Roadrunner... :)

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

Does that wipe all our old comments 😅
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

1) From what system to what system?
    2) From which house to which house?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Her and that lady from Totnes might hold their seats under LD banners. I can't see Anna Soubry fitting in anywhere (although who knows). For the Labourites it's a tough call.
    Soubry always appears to have her nose in the air
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

Does that wipe all our old comments 😅
    Noooooo! At least 50 of mine are worth retaining.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

Test

Edit: hallelujah indeed.
    The only bit of good news all week. Glad to see it's working properly again - let's hope rcs's system move comment is a wind-up!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    rcs1000 said:

Rumour is she wants to have a crack at Ken Clarke's seat, assuming he retires. Not sure under what banner now, though. I think Allen & Wollaston both have decent chances of holding as LDs.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

So anyhoo. A little piece of bad news, although considering the illnesses of his later years, possibly a blessing... :(

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/03/paul-darrow-cult-favourite-in-blakes-7-dies-aged-78

That's sad.

I suppose we have to accept it's definitely not coming back now.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

O which system?
    The system which only dreams in total darkness.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

O which system?
    Glad to see a fellow The National fan :smile:
  • Options
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

That's sad.

I suppose we have to accept it's definitely not coming back now.
    :(
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    They never learn. Ireland has powerful friends these days.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

I'm playing with three different systems, with one of my requirements being that it works nicely with https
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

O which system?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

O which system?
    So the comments system is being taken over by C'thulu? Why am i not surprised?... :)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I've never watched Blake's 7 but it sounds like an interesting show.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

rcs1000 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Freggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

O which system?
    The new album is great. Oblivions may be their best song for... well, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69HB5gF3W8
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Boris video says he wants to support the business sector.

A few weeks ago, they were getting in the way and it was "f**k business"

Pointedly supporting wealth creators - not big business. He seems to think they are different.....
    In many cases in my experience, small business are wealth creators and big businesses rent seekers. This is particularly true of big businesses with access to taxpayer funding or effective monopolies (my employers do odd bits of work for the water industry - the levels of wastage from the larger civil outfits in the game have to be seen to be believed).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    He's tough, he's tough, he's so tough.

Oh, wait a minute:
    He said: “It’s feasible if we have the perspective of either a new referendum or a totally new scheme which would be acceptable for the 27 and our negotiator.”
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, wait a minute:
    He said: “It’s feasible if we have the perspective of either a new referendum or a totally new scheme which would be acceptable for the 27 and our negotiator.”
    "He also ruled out any renegotiation of Mrs May’s hated Brexit deal, insisting efforts to rework the Irish backstop as a “non-starter”.

So that means only EUref2 or a Single Market/Customs Union arrangement would prevent a revoke v No Deal choice for the Commons in October if the Commons has not voted for the Withdrawal Agreement by then
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Coalition government agreed in Finland:

Social Democrats: PM, Transports, Work, Sevices, Local government, International Trade & Development, European Affairs

Centre: Finance, Economy, Science and Culture, Defence, Agriculture

Greens: Home Affairs, Foreign Affairs, Environment

Left: Education, Health and Social Services

Swedish's People Party: Justice, Equality and Nordic Co-operation

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

I'm playing with three different systems, with one of my requirements being that it works nicely with https
    Please please please make sure it works well on mobile. To be fair that’s always been something that’s worked well on vanilla.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, wait a minute:
    "He also ruled out any renegotiation of Mrs May’s hated Brexit deal, insisting efforts to rework the Irish backstop as a “non-starter”.

So that means only EUref2 or a Single Market/Customs Union arrangement would prevent a revoke v No Deal choice for the Commons in October if the Commons has not voted for the Withdrawal Agreement by then
    I wouldn't have been that surprised if he'd ruled out the "totally new scheme" option too.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Gadfly said:

> @Cyclefree said:

> Rory Stewart doing a John Major in Hyde Park. I doubt he’ll get anywhere but he is one of the few who is bothering to engage with the voters for real - not in expensively produced videos. He deserves considerable credit for that.

I have met Rory Stewart several times and have always admired him.

My faith was however slightly shaken when I listened to this weekend's interview with James Kirkup, in which he proposed a citizens' assembly as the solution to Brexit, without any indication as to how this would bind parliament.

I would appreciate your view (the Brexit bit starts at around 13 minutes in)...

https://audioboom.com/posts/7276969-rory-stewart-i-can-solve-brexit-in-five-weeks

I am sorry. I missed this. I’ll have a listen and respond tomorrow @Gadfly, if that’s OK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

Please please please make sure it works well on mobile. To be fair that’s always been something that’s worked well on vanilla.
    This.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, wait a minute:
    The UK must leave on 31 October unless something.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Ha
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

Is there one that doesn't allow quote Tweets?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2019
    When the Tiggers were launced back in late February, there were some who compared the event to the founding of the SDP in early 1981. Others suggested that the creation of Veritas by Kilroy-Silk was the more apt comparison. I leave it to others to decide which judgement was the more prescient.
  • Options
    This is how Nadine Dorries describes Boris:

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1135614881208700930
  • Options
    justin124 said:

When the Tiggers were launced back in late February, there were some who compared the event to the founding of the SDP in early 1981. Others suggested that the creation of Veritas by Kilroy-Silk was the more apt comparison. I leave it to others to decide which judgement was the more prescient.

Not fighting the local elections was a big mistake for them in retrospect.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

I think the big mistake was actually accepting 3 Tory defectors.

If they had stuck as a protest movement drawing people from the sensible wing of the Labour Party - they could have built some momentum. But it is hard to imagine anyone from the Left voluntarily thinking 'I know, that nice Anna Soubry is who I want as a new colleague - I will join so I can be like her.'

Also, they failed to attract a real big beast - the SDP was based around the Gang of Four - all of whom had a track record in government. They never had any really strength in the experience department - and certainly weren't helped by their best communicator taking maternity leave.

The timing was wrong, the initial group setting it was wrong and they let the wrong people join at the wrong time.

Other than that, it was perfect.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

If they had stuck as a protest movement drawing people from the sensible wing of the Labour Party - they could have built some momentum. But it is hard to imagine anyone from the Left voluntarily thinking 'I know, that nice Anna Soubry is who I want as a new colleague - I will join so I can be like her.'

Also, they failed to attract a real big beast - the SDP was based around the Gang of Four - all of whom had a track record in government. They never had any really strength in the experience department - and certainly weren't helped by their best communicator taking maternity leave.

The timing was wrong, the initial group setting it was wrong and they let the wrong people join at the wrong time.

Maybe that's true about involving the Tories.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

Nice work!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh wow.

This.
    Test
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2019

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

Just working as a split in Labour would have never provided a break through, they saw the problems the SDP had working almost exclusively as a split in Labour. Although that harmed Labour in the next election it destroyed the splitters.

From a 'there is a huge gap in the centre voters are calling out to be filled' view, almost En Marche style their actions make sense. Now I never actually particularly believed that line, for a number of reasons I thought it was rubbish but I presume some of the CUK MPs did believe that, plenty of centrist types in the media would repeat it often enough, I assume some of those actually believed it.

It is also why part of their strategy was to eat the Lib Dems before replacing one of the two main parties. It is the reason why they didn't just call themselves the remain party, what does that mean when Brexit is over and done with as this party is going to be a serious contender for government.

Basically they were arrogant, if they were more realistic they probably wouldn't have left in the first place. If they were more realistic and still left and formed a party though they might have accepted they were going to be a poor rendition of the SDP and maximised that instead somewhat along the lines you mentioned.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    https://twitter.com/DavidHirsh/status/1135473282088656897

Sort of makes me feel better that his crazy takes aren't just related to Labour...
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    O/T

I've been reading a number of articles in full on The Times website even though I'm not a subscriber and I've already read my free article for the week. I don't know whether there's some problem with their website at the moment which is allowing this to happen. Usually in that situation you can only read the first few lines.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited June 2019
    Great new thread, folks. Truly great.
This discussion has been closed.