Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The successor to Sir Vince Cable might currently be in another

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

The daft thing is, this is what the Change MPs who have gone to the Lib Dems should have done in the first place instead of setting up a new party. They would have had plenty of influence and may well have resulted in a couple more seats for the Lib Dems at the Euro elections. Unless you have a genuinely niche market that is not currently served by the existing parties, starting a new one is really not bright.

Yes. Spot on.

I don't think we've seen the end of the story here yet. I'm expecting Allen and Wollaston, at least, to take the Lib Dem whip at some point before the next election. Umunna will probably end up running some incredibly tedious think-tank.
    Is there any evidence at all of Chuka ever having done any thinking?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

I can't remember all the Change UK MPs. I can't work out who has left. Umunna, Allen, Woolaston and Berger are the ones I have, but aren't there two more? Resorted to wiki to be reminded of Shuker and Smith.

It sounds like the splitters are still not joining the Lib Dems. Madness. Which is the stronger half?

My guess is that Vince has agreed not to admit them since the next leader should decide. If it's Swinson they will join and if it's Davey they won't be let in.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Poor Jezza

bitch slapped by Trump

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48515506

You would expect politicians whose stock in trade is taking the moral high ground would be better at getting their timing right. 'Bitch Slapped' sounds about right. What was Corbyn thinking about asking for a meeting? A bonobo would have turned him down.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

TGOHF said:

Has Andrea Leadsom got any sort of launch video out or campaign going at all?

As far as I can tell she’s just gone on Marr and LBC radio and done ten tweets.

She's not a serious candidate - just after a cabinet position.
    Someone has invested the best part of half a million shoring up her position as third favourite on Betfair.
    Sorry, I got that the wrong way round. They've only invested around £70k. Those who've taken her on have put up around half a million (collectively).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

TGOHF said:

brendan16 said:

Also be wary about taking your kids to the local swimming pool - as they will be subject to a bit of chlorine washing!

The old days of being able to scare people and bend their will seems to be coming to an end.

I eat chicken in the US all the time - never had food poisoning yet. If only people could see how much water the Dutch pump into chickens...
    Um, some vegetarian chicken-substitute for me, please :)
    Eggs?

[runs away... :) ]
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

The alt-centre?

ctrl-alt-del
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Isn't there a party with a rather similar name in Germany?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2019

rcs1000 said:

OK. Let's talk about that US-UK trade deal for a moment.

1. It's not about the NHS

2. It's going to be about agriculture.:
    (a) Simply, the Labour Party isn't going to vote for a trade deal with the mortal enemy (Trump's US), while MPs from rural seats aren't going to vote for allowing food produced under US statndards to compete with that produced under UK ones.
    (b) Oh yes, and those Conservative MPs from wealthy cities? They're going to hate the fact that (i) GM crops will be allowed and (ii) the UK will be treaty bound to not even force labelling of GM products.

3. Under a crash out Brexit scenario, the US Irish lobby is going be pretty pissed. Rightly or wrongly, we will be blamed. I cannot see the House of Representatives handing Trump or the UK a victory under those circumstances.

4. I can't see the US softening its ISDS requirements - i.e. where there are two US judges for one of ours in dispute resolution. That has led to some seriously unbalanced decisions in NAFTA.

A US-UK trade deal, no matter how desirable, is a chimera. There aren't the votes for it in the UK. There aren't the votes for it in the US.

So, what you’re saying is, that No Deal is better than a Bad Deal?

Got it.
    Here's the thing. The swashbuckling Captain Onedin Brexiteers all claim to be very keen on trade deals around the world in the abstract. So keen are they, they're tearing up the biggest and deepest trade deal that Britain has in order to get others. But when it comes to the concrete, they shun the necessary compromises.

Just what is it that Leavers are now trying to achieve?
    I’m not that interested in a comprehensive FTA with the USA - I might be interested in micro deals, like liberalising passport control, and other services equivalencies - and I was happy with May’s Deal with the EU. I’d like a closer strategic relationship with India too but that too might not be possible.

Compromises aren’t a problem for me.
    Many Indian sources have been quite clear a few times, though, that any trade deals with them would have to bring in immigration, too.

However pragmatic some Brexiters may personally be about such things, including such as the NHS or agriculture, too, the problem for any Prime Minister wanting to make such deals is that Brexit is not a pragmatic movement. It's an emotional, highly demanding one.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    FFS - he should just go back to Narnia, he would be so much happier there
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cyclefree said:

The daft thing is, this is what the Change MPs who have gone to the Lib Dems should have done in the first place instead of setting up a new party. They would have had plenty of influence and may well have resulted in a couple more seats for the Lib Dems at the Euro elections. Unless you have a genuinely niche market that is not currently served by the existing parties, starting a new one is really not bright.

Yes. Spot on.

I don't think we've seen the end of the story here yet. I'm expecting Allen and Wollaston, at least, to take the Lib Dem whip at some point before the next election. Umunna will probably end up running some incredibly tedious think-tank.
    Is there any evidence at all of Chuka ever having done any thinking?
    Plenty of evidence of him tanking, though!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

rcs1000 said:

(a) Simply, the Labour Party isn't going to vote for a trade deal with the mortal enemy (Trump's US), while MPs from rural seats aren't going to vote for allowing food produced under US statndards to compete with that produced under UK ones.
    (b) Oh yes, and those Conservative MPs from wealthy cities? They're going to hate the fact that (i) GM crops will be allowed and (ii) the UK will be treaty bound to not even force labelling of GM products.

3. Under a crash out Brexit scenario, the US Irish lobby is going be pretty pissed. Rightly or wrongly, we will be blamed. I cannot see the House of Representatives handing Trump or the UK a victory under those circumstances.

4. I can't see the US softening its ISDS requirements - i.e. where there are two US judges for one of ours in dispute resolution. That has led to some seriously unbalanced decisions in NAFTA.

A US-UK trade deal, no matter how desirable, is a chimera. There aren't the votes for it in the UK. There aren't the votes for it in the US.

Got it.
    Here's the thing. The swashbuckling Captain Onedin Brexiteers all claim to be very keen on trade deals around the world in the abstract. So keen are they, they're tearing up the biggest and deepest trade deal that Britain has in order to get others. But when it comes to the concrete, they shun the necessary compromises.

I’m not that interested in a comprehensive FTA with the USA - I might be interested in micro deals, like liberalising passport control, and other services equivalencies - and I was happy with May’s Deal with the EU. I’d like a closer strategic relationship with India too but that too might not be possible.

Compromises aren’t a problem for me.
    Many Indian sources have been quite clear a few times, though, that any trade deals with them would have to bring in immigration, too.

However pragmatic some Brexiters may personally be about such things, including such as the NHS or agriculture, too, the problem for any Prime Minister wanting to make such deals is that Brexit is not a pragmatic movement. It's an emotional, highly demanding one.
    We need to leave the EU (important symbolically), then absolutely lash ourselves to it - CU, SM, just rid of our MEPs - the remainder will probably make better decisions on our behalf than ours would anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    "shine" in its 21st century meaning of "rant effectively for a social media clip," presumably
    https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1135937154432032768
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    edited June 2019

rcs1000 said:

Got it.
    I'm actually pretty relaxed about US food standards (living in the US as I do). I also think that allowing cheaper food in from the US would be generally good for people in the UK.

My issue, rather than food standards, would be the US opposition to allowing labeling. In Quebec, Monsanto used NAFTA ISDS tribunals to overturn a law requiring labeling of GM products. To me, this is just wrong. It's one thing to say that US food should be allowed to be sold here alongside UK food (all in favour), but another for the UK parliament to not be allowed to make decisions about labeling GM food. (And wasn't this kind of thing one of the reasons we left the EU? We'd just be changing being cross with Brussels hoisting rules onto us to being cross with Washington doing the same.)

In any case, I don't see how a deal could be done. The opposition in parliament from would be enormous. The Labour Party wouldn't be up for it. Nor would the LibDems or the SNP. So, you'd need every Conservative and the DUP to vote for it. But it would be opposed by rural Tories because it would create an unlevel playing field, and by suburban Tories worried about GM food.

• Options

"shine" in its 21st century meaning of "rant effectively for a social media clip," presumably

Go go Becky green number Bailey
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159

McD seems to really rate her. For all his faults he's no fool and a shrewd operator. So it must be more than just she is the only real hard lefty of her generation.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Just received an email from Change UK trying to sound relevant

I have just unsubscibed. I wonder how many more will do the same as they become irrelevant
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918

rcs1000 said:

Got it.

Complete rubbish of course from you again. The point of leaving was not to get trade deals, it was to remove ourselves from EU Governance. Not everything in this world revolves around money, in spite of what most Remainers seem to think these days.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Awb683 said:

There are quite a number of Tory MPs who ought to be Lib Dems unfortunately.

Unfortunate for who? :p
    The Tory majority? Even with DUP support this government is on life support. Two or three more defectors on the back of the leadership contest and the new PM will only be in office long enough to call an election.
    A few more than that and the new Conservative leader might not get to be Prime Minister.
    Good point. The Tories should think about going for someone normal. Boris guarantees defections
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Roger said:

DavidL said:

RobD said:

Awb683 said:

There are quite a number of Tory MPs who ought to be Lib Dems unfortunately.

Unfortunate for who? :p
    The Tory majority? Even with DUP support this government is on life support. Two or three more defectors on the back of the leadership contest and the new PM will only be in office long enough to call an election.
    A few more than that and the new Conservative leader might not get to be Prime Minister.
    Good point. The Tories should think about going for someone normal. Boris guarantees defections
    Greening said she couldn't be in a party led by Boris. Clearly she is expecting him to win and mentally detaching herself already.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

This is what happens when you invite the Labour party to these things.
    I walked through it earlier today. A lot of Free Palestine badges and Palestinian flags. Because, er.... @TheJezziah help me out here.
    I must be feeling particularly contrary today but maybe because his policies are so pro Israel, the acceptance of new settlements on occupied land and the transfer of the embassy to Jerusalem? The Palestinians have a lot more to complain about so far as Trump is concerned than we do. A lot more.
    Yes good point. It's great that all those white lefties thought to bring up this of all issues today on their protest.
  • Options

McD seems to really rate her. For all his faults he's no fool and a shrewd operator. So it must be more than just she is the only real hard lefty of her generation.
    Perhaps he believes he can manipulate her for his own ends.
  • Options

I have just unsubscibed. I wonder how many more will do the same as they become irrelevant

I unsubscribed when they decided that change in my region meant voting for a defecting Tory MEP in his 70s.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I walked through it earlier today. A lot of Free Palestine badges and Palestinian flags. Because, er.... @TheJezziah help me out here.

Yes I saw you.

Why were you just in shorts and singlet on a day like today?

WRONG!!

Tie-dye t-shirt and big BLIAR banner draped around me and a ceremonial nose stud for the occasion.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,108
    edited June 2019
    Deleted.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

TGOHF said:

Someone has invested the best part of half a million shoring up her position as third favourite on Betfair.
    Sorry, I got that the wrong way round. They've only invested around £70k. Those who've taken her on have put up around half a million (collectively).
    This is clearly some new meaning of the word "invested" that I was previously unaware of.
  • Options
    I presume Trump rates Hunt simply because Hunt is rich.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I unsubscribed when they decided that change in my region meant voting for a defecting Tory MEP in his 70s.
    Stephen Dorrell is only 67 !
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

I presume Trump rates Hunt simply because Hunt is rich.

To be fair to Hunt, did he not make his money unlike Trump?
  • Options
    There is more to it than that, though. Certainly Gapes hates the LibDems with a passion - as his twitter feed has long demonstrated. He'd rather take the humiliation of losing his seat as an Independent than have to apply to join the LDs. Although given his age and health he's probably heading for retirement anyway.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Too late . Not one trusts the Tories on the NHS. Perhaps Raab might also now regret his contribution to Brittania Unchanged .

The other parties have a selection of quotes from that ready to go. I’m not sure rampant capitalism and removing workers rights will go down well with most of the public .
  • Options

Unlikely. I can think of lots worse. Too many people are so keen to jump on the Trunp hate bus, they lose perspective of where he sits.

On the bog tweeting?
  • Options
    If someone has a large enough general book for it, Kate Hoey is layable at 1000.0 for Labour leader.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

WRONG!!

Tie-dye t-shirt and big BLIAR banner draped around me and a ceremonial nose stud for the occasion.

WOKE!
  • Options
    Corbyn seems to have united Brexit party and the FPBE lot on twitter.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,019
    rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

This is clearly some new meaning of the word "invested" that I was previously unaware of.
    It could be a syndicate. Each MP backing her puts up £1k but doesn't declare their support, then when she makes the run-off, they can all cash out.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Before I scroll back through, how could any of the Chuk-Tiggers become leader of the LDs? They'd have to join the party in days and get the requisite support to be nominated. Even if there is no requirement in being in the party a certain amount of time before becoming leader, and even assuming if, say, 2 defectors join and that is enough MP support for one of them to stand, how do they get the local party backing?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Chris said:

Animal_pb said:

Hearing from Paris that the SI Unit for Political Ineptitude has been set as the Soubry.

There are 1,000 Wollastons to the Soubry.

The Imperial unit of measurement is, of course, the May.
    For practical purposes the microMay is more convenient, of course.
    How many miliCorbyns is that worth?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TGOHF said:

It could be a syndicate. Each MP backing her puts up £1k but doesn't declare their support, then when she makes the run-off, they can all cash out.
    I'll take my chances :smiley: - she should be 50/1
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    kinabalu said:

Unlikely. I can think of lots worse. Too many people are so keen to jump on the Trunp hate bus, they lose perspective of where he sits.

On the bog tweeting?
    when youre dumping on corbyn ypu have to do something to fill the time
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm actually pretty relaxed about US food standards (living in the US as I do). I also think that allowing cheaper food in from the US would be generally good for people in the UK.

My issue, rather than food standards, would be the US opposition to allowing labeling. In Quebec, Monsanto used NAFTA ISDS tribunals to overturn a law requiring labeling of GM products. To me, this is just wrong. It's one thing to say that US food should be allowed to be sold here alongside UK food (all in favour), but another for the UK parliament to not be allowed to make decisions about labeling GM food. (And wasn't this kind of thing one of the reasons we left the EU? We'd just be changing being cross with Brussels hoisting rules onto us to being cross with Washington doing the same.)

In any case, I don't see how a deal could be done. The opposition in parliament from would be enormous. The Labour Party wouldn't be up for it. Nor would the LibDems or the SNP. So, you'd need every Conservative and the DUP to vote for it. But it would be opposed by rural Tories because it would create an unlevel playing field, and by suburban Tories worried about GM food.

Looking through the various comparison sites it looks to me like food prices in the US are actually higher than in the UK overall.

I can't see any good reason for pursuing an FTA with the US. We already do a healthy trade with them and I am simply not convinced the additional trade that would result from an FTA would be in our interests compared to the damage that would be caused along the lines you talk about. I see no upside to it for the general public at all. But then the older I get the more I doubt the benefits of the sorts of globalisation that has been pursued by Governments for the last few decades.

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Soon to merge with the TootingStreatham Popular Front?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If someone has a large enough general book for it, Kate Hoey is layable at 1000.0 for Labour leader.

Unless Corbyn is replaced in the next 25 days you'd earn more putting the £1000 into instant access savings.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    IanB2 said:

There is more to it than that, though. Certainly Gapes hates the LibDems with a passion - as his twitter feed has long demonstrated. He'd rather take the humiliation of losing his seat as an Independent than have to apply to join the LDs. Although given his age and health he's probably heading for retirement anyway.
    I'd make Heidi Allen a pretty strong favourite to hold South Cambridgeshire as a Lib Dem.

Sarah Wollaston would be 50/50 in Totnes, IMHO.. She's get lots of support from the inhabitants of Narnia, but the Conservatives would fight back in coastal areas.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The year of four new parties. Three of which Umunna has been involved with, but only the fourth is successful.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

I'd make Heidi Allen a pretty strong favourite to hold South Cambridgeshire as a Lib Dem.

Sarah Wollaston would be 50/50 in Totnes, IMHO.. She's get lots of support from the inhabitants of Narnia, but the Conservatives would fight back in coastal areas.
    In the current environment I'd say both Heidi and Sarah are very strong favourites. Things look a lot better for Chuka as well, after the LibDem surge in London. Even Luciana represents a seat where the LibDems were a very good second, until the coalition.
  • Options
    Breaking: Farage in a meeting with Trump now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Shouldn't that be breaking wind :)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

As far as I could tell the main reason not to join LibDems soon after they left the dying carcasses of their old parties was that LD brand was for the knackers yard too.

What a difference a few weeks makes.

LDs owe the ERG all a big round of drinks frankly.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    IanB2 said:

Vote Farage to help deliver the NHS on a plate to Trump .

Opposition parties need to tie them together and go with that message .
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097
    Scott_P said:
    Rory? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

As far as I could tell the main reason not to join LibDems soon after they left the dying carcasses of their old parties was that LD brand was for the knackers yard too.

What a difference a few weeks makes.

LDs owe the ERG all a big round of drinks frankly.
    All Remainers owe the ERG a vote of thanks - we'd have left by now if the were Tory loyalists.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,064

rcs1000 said:

Looking through the various comparison sites it looks to me like food prices in the US are actually higher than in the UK overall.

I can't see any good reason for pursuing an FTA with the US. We already do a healthy trade with them and I am simply not convinced the additional trade that would result from an FTA would be in our interests compared to the damage that would be caused along the lines you talk about. I see no upside to it for the general public at all. But then the older I get the more I doubt the benefits of the sorts of globalisation that has been pursued by Governments for the last few decades.

When we lived in the US our food bill was certainly higher than it is here. Cheap food in the US is cheap, but it is crap. Look at what happens to the people who eat it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Putin on speaker phone?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,934
    nico67 said:

IanB2 said:

Vote Farage to help deliver the NHS on a plate to Trump .

Opposition parties need to tie them together and go with that message .
    The trouble is that it's the boy who cried wolf.

If Labour hadn't started every campaign in living memory with "10 minutes to save the NHS!" (or close enough to!) then people actually might believe that Trump will privatise it.

As it is, Labour have been saying the same thing for donkey's years and yet here we are, NHS still intact, albeit underfunded.

People would do well to take a leaf out of Elim Garak's book...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962

IanB2 said:

Putin on speaker phone?

Only for appearances, he'll have his own 'sources'.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. 100, Garak's one of my favourite Star Trek characters.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Unless Corbyn is replaced in the next 25 days you'd earn more putting the £1000 into instant access savings.
    Not if you're generally green from laying others. I was +£900 Hoey so took the opportunity of a well-deserved 90p.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    I know. Silly fools. He's the only interesting thing about the leadership race. Maybe he can get 3 more to back him.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Not in the Leavers' worst nightmares would the first tangible consequence of Brexit be about selling the NHS to Donald Trump in return for the privilege of importing chlorinated chicken. But that's what's happened.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

rcs1000 said:

When we lived in the US our food bill was certainly higher than it is here. Cheap food in the US is cheap, but it is crap. Look at what happens to the people who eat it.
    And the quality and range of foods in your average US supermarket is nowhere near as good as in Europe.
  • Options
    OT, if you haven't seen it, this photoshopping guy is pure genius, and very funny:

https://twentytwowords.com/this-is-what-happens-when-more-people-asked-the-wrong-guy-for-photoshop-help/
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    I know. Silly fools. He's the only interesting thing about the leadership race. Maybe he can get 3 more to back him.
    I suspect there might be some vote sharing to get certain candidates into the race - just as it used to happen to get Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbott into Labour races..

Hopefully it doesn't backfire...!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

IanB2 said:

Putin on speaker phone?
    Doesn't have to be. He'll have at least one, and very probably two first hand accounts.
  • Options

Not in the Leavers' worst nightmares would the first tangible consequence of Brexit be about selling the NHS to Donald Trump in return for the privilege of importing chlorinated chicken. But that's what's happened.

No it really isn't. Its another burgeoning Remainer scare story. In the end there is no appetite either in Parliament or in the country for such a deal so it won't happen.

Good propaganda of course but no foundation in reality.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

If you were going based on relevance, you'd never have subscribed in the first place.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

TGOHF said:

1: boosting ones odds by betting sums has a long pedigree, dating back to at least Clement Freud in the 70s, who did it on a regular basis.
    2: money laundering: if the bookmakers do not have sufficient checks in place, one may laundry large sums of money by trading in and out. Perhaps somebody can advise me if there are safeguards in place to prevent this.
    3: somebody might legitimately think she has a chance? It's not impossible.
    4: does anybody remember the guy who ramped Romney's odds on Intrade in 2012?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    tlg86 said:

Yep. Hunt is basically self-made. Trump inherited all his wealth.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

I think Chuka would probably hold his seat as a Lib Dem bearing in mind the results last month. But the Lib Dems have already selected a candidate and started campaigning and no doubt there would be local resistance to dumping her in his favour. But I wonder if he will stick around - an attractive high-profile job outside politics might be his ultimate aim (see also Tristram Hunt).
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

1: boosting ones odds by betting sums has a long pedigree, dating back to at least Clement Freud in the 70s, who did it on a regular basis.
    2: money laundering: if the bookmakers do not have sufficient checks in place, one may laundry large sums of money by trading in and out. Perhaps somebody can advise me if there are safeguards in place to prevent this.
    There are definitely safeguards in place to prevent this.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    The Tory contest was amusing, but it now it is just depressing again. Either they are promising things they cannot deliver to get a deal, or they are just pretending such while they intend no deal, or they are no deal, and despite protests there's only so much they could do in a negotiation with the USA and others.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    I suspect there might be some vote sharing to get certain candidates into the race - just as it used to happen to get Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbott into Labour races..

All the loons already have enough support.......
  • Options
    Malthouse is gone.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,064

rcs1000 said:

And the quality and range of foods in your average US supermarket is nowhere near as good as in Europe.
    Yes. Our local supermarket had a whole aisle of mayonnaise but all the bread was vile. I am not a food snob at all but I do expect food to taste of something vaguely related to the natural world and to not put me on a fast track to morbid obesity.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:
    There's some interesting horsetrading to be done amongst those who could be saved by the supports of others who are on the elimination list.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The brighter Leavers have been confining their activities to squirrel-watching posts for getting on for a year now; what's left is complaining that the thing they steered the ship of state into, turns out to be the wrong sort of iceberg.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,291
    Scott_P said:
    I don't like all this talk about 'very challenging times ahead'. What's he referring to?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    If those leaving at this stage supported one candidate, he/she could yet make the first ballot.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    Out of interest, how is the UK getting on with replicating the various EU mini-deals with the US, and what are we still at risk of losing come 31st October?
  • Options
    Pippa reckons Harper, Gyimah and McVey will be gone soon.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Chris said:

Scott_P said:

All the loons already have enough support.......
    McVey the bigot is thankfully short of the mark.

But I think they need at least one female candidate in the first round of voting...

So perhaps AL can find the numbers from somewhere
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Andrew said:

tlg86 said:

Yep. Hunt is basically self-made. Trump inherited all his wealth.
    It is not so much that Trump inherited his wealth (although he did) but that his father set him up in business. Trump was already rich by the time his father died but in the early days, his father co-signed deals and guaranteed loans. AIUI. There is the famous story of daddy driving to Trump's casino to buy $2 or $3 million in chips to bail it out.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

Scott_P said:
    I don't like all this talk about 'very challenging times ahead'. What's he referring to?
    Never mind. So long as there's moonlight and music and love and romance.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    kle4 said:

Before I scroll back through, how could any of the Chuk-Tiggers become leader of the LDs? They'd have to join the party in days and get the requisite support to be nominated. Even if there is no requirement in being in the party a certain amount of time before becoming leader, and even assuming if, say, 2 defectors join and that is enough MP support for one of them to stand, how do they get the local party backing?

The thought I had, which might have kicked in if CHUK had folded into the LDs en masse, would have been whether the currently declared candidates would have had to have scrabbled, admittedly not too hard, for a further last minute nominee.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_P said:
    That's what you call a Malthouse Compromise then? :D
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Scott_P said:
    The challenge of not having Malthouse as PM? Reckon we'll just have to cope.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

How the hell has Soubry become the leader of 5 ex Lab MPs ?!

Have you seen those five ex-Labour MPs?
    Time to change their name again.

Small Change UK.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,202
    IanB2 said:

Malthouse is gone.

Have they looked behind the sofa? :lol:
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:

Agree with #3 especially. The simplest answer is that there is someone both rich and a big believer in Leadsom. We all know people who can't separate what they want to happen and what they think will happen, people with millions and millions aren't immune to the problem.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Chlorinated chicken is unlikely to be as popular with middle England as on here. Here's a socialist revolutionary organisation lambasting it:

https://twitter.com/WhichUK/status/1135931090642841600
This discussion has been closed.