Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Flashback Wednesday

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

No sort of Brexit deal will get Lib Dem voters back. They wouldn't even return with an offer of eternal transition, the symbolism of leaving is too much for them.
    The best way through is a soft Brexit to hold onto existing Tories and take back some of the softer element of Brexit Party support (There will be soft brexiters in their mix).

I disagree.

I think that Tory Remainers are voting LibDem because they believe they can kill Brexit. If they can’t then they will come back over time as pocket book concerns come to the fore.
    Nope. They think you’re deranged.
    Have you asked them all?

More analysis and evidence please Alastair, fewer assertions
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HY is in trouble on item 2.
    He is talking rubbish on 2

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1136006739864825858?s=20
    Boris makes no indent whatsoever on Labour or LibDem or Green support. His former ‘liberal views’ and London-winning ways are very clearly dead, post-2016. He only derives his advantage in that poll from denting BXP support. And that, very quickly, will come to depend on what he would achieve, not what he would promise. If Boris fails, as is quite likely given the Tories queuing to defect the minute he is chosen, that poll finding will be worth nothing.
    Boris could easily call a snap general election on a No Deal platform if needed if the Withdrawal Agreement has not passed by October, win a majority on that poll, then implement Brexit
    Perhaps he could win a No Deal election if Farage stood aside and endorsed the Tories. If not, it could be suicidal.
    Nope, as I posted earlier a Boris led Tories would have a 7% lead over Labour and the LDs, enough for a majority, with the Brexit Party falling back to UKIP 2015 levels

You say those figures were for a Boris-Johnson-led Conservative party _campaigning_ _on_ _a_ _No_ _Deal_ _platform_?

I find that very difficult to believe.
    Almost all the Boris gains in that poll come from the Brexit Party who are the strongest No Deal supporters
    So what? If the Tories move to No Deal, they will lose voters who don't support No Deal, relative to the findings of that poll that didn't specify a policy.

Can they offset that by squeezing the Brexit party further down than the 13% the poll indicates? I doubt it, unless - as I said - Farage stands aside and endorses the Tories.

If the Tories suffer a net loss relative to those poll figures, and go down to say the mid-20s, I very much doubt they can win a general election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

No sort of Brexit deal will get Lib Dem voters back. They wouldn't even return with an offer of eternal transition, the symbolism of leaving is too much for them.
    The best way through is a soft Brexit to hold onto existing Tories and take back some of the softer element of Brexit Party support (There will be soft brexiters in their mix).

I disagree.

I think that Tory Remainers are voting LibDem because they believe they can kill Brexit. If they can’t then they will come back over time as pocket book concerns come to the fore.
    I suggest that rather depends on how Brexit (should it transpire) actually turns out for us all?
    True. I am assuming it won’t be as bad as the “burn! Burn it all!” crowd seem to believe
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Given that Leavers don’t accept that the collapse of British Steel was down to Brexit even after the owners’ official statement blamed Brexit, you can’t expect them to accept that the closure of another car manufacturing plant was because of Brexit.

It must just be the weather.

It seems to me that Brexit can hardly have come at a worse time for car manufacturers. They are just beginning a massive switch to electric vehicle production, which will surely require huge investment in new plant and the development of new supplier networks. The uncertainty posed by Brexit is bound to be a factor in dissuading such investment in the UK. So it is not so much the closure of old plants that we need to worry about, rather the potential failure to upgrade plants or open new plants. Brexit is an existential threat to the British car industry.
    Going electric is an existential threat to the EU car industry. Where are the lithium deposits? The current thinking in the car industry is that the EV production will be next door to the battery production because shipping very heavy batteries around the world is expensive. Especially if the EV is then exported again.

This is why I am surprised still that the EU did not go hydrogen.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

That’s a bit rich from the man who is asserting that the Conservatives can be the wrong side of the line of the most polarising electoral topic of our lifetimes for a cohort of voters and can still hope to win their votes back. Brexit allegiance is far stronger than party allegiance, as the Conservatives are currently discovering.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Pulpstar said:

A hard Brexit could probably get back plenty of BXP voters (& Some would return to Labour too) but give up a big chunk to the Lib Dems. On a FPTP basis it could lead to useless votes being piled up in the Northeast for instance whilst Labour take a slew of southern towns like Milton Keynes.

Labour? The same Labour who trail or tie the LDs whoever succeeds May with Yougov? The same Labour who are also likely to lose Peterborough to the Brexit Party tomorrow?
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Jeremy Hunt made a similar point this morning. They’re both deluded. Those voters have gone for good.
    Still of the belief that until the LibDems come out and say that they won't put Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street they'll struggle to close the deal in a GE with Tories otherwise minded to support them in target seats like St Albans, Sutton etc.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Brexit will be a live political issue for the foreseeable future, all the more so if we cross the Article 50 threshold and get into real negotiations on the future relationship.

As for voters coming back over "pocket book concerns", you are assuming a Labour/Tory two-horse race.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris makes no indent whatsoever on Labour or LibDem or Green support. His former ‘liberal views’ and London-winning ways are very clearly dead, post-2016. He only derives his advantage in that poll from denting BXP support. And that, very quickly, will come to depend on what he would achieve, not what he would promise. If Boris fails, as is quite likely given the Tories queuing to defect the minute he is chosen, that poll finding will be worth nothing.
    If I were a Labour supporter, I'd be quite keen on a leader who made the Conservatives competitive against the Brexit Party. The more even the split on the right the better.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Jeremy Hunt made a similar point this morning. They’re both deluded. Those voters have gone for good.
    Still of the belief that until the LibDems come out and say that they won't put Jeremy Corbyn in Downing Street they'll struggle to close the deal in a GE with Tories otherwise minded to support them in target seats like St Albans, Sutton etc.

Are you offering evens that the Lib Dems will take St Albans? Because if so I would like to be on the Lib Dem side of the bet.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited June 2019
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Boris could easily call a snap general election on a No Deal platform if needed if the Withdrawal Agreement has not passed by October, win a majority on that poll, then implement Brexit
    Perhaps he could win a No Deal election if Farage stood aside and endorsed the Tories. If not, it could be suicidal.
    Nope, as I posted earlier a Boris led Tories would have a 7% lead over Labour and the LDs, enough for a majority, with the Brexit Party falling back to UKIP 2015 levels

You say those figures were for a Boris-Johnson-led Conservative party _campaigning_ _on_ _a_ _No_ _Deal_ _platform_?

Almost all the Boris gains in that poll come from the Brexit Party who are the strongest No Deal supporters
    So what? If the Tories move to No Deal, they will lose voters who don't support No Deal, relative to the findings of that poll that didn't specify a policy.

Can they offset that by squeezing the Brexit party further down than the 13% the poll indicates? I doubt it, unless - as I said - Farage stands aside and endorses the Tories.

If the Tories suffer a net loss relative to those poll figures, and go down to say the mid-20s, I very much doubt they can win a general election.
    On what grounds? That Tory rating was on the basis of a Boris led Tory Party reaching 29% and Boris has made clear we are leaving the EU Deal or No Deal without further extension.

Given Labour is on an abysmal 21% and only tied with the LDs on that poll with a Boris led Tory Party not impossible a Boris led Tory Party could win a majority under FPTP even on just mid to late 20s
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

That’s a bit rich from the man who is asserting that the Conservatives can be the wrong side of the line of the most polarising electoral topic of our lifetimes for a cohort of voters and can still hope to win their votes back. Brexit allegiance is far stronger than party allegiance, as the Conservatives are currently discovering.
    I stated it as opinion not fact

My belief is that Brexit happens, life goes on, and over time the vast majority of people focus on stuff that matters in the future not something that happened in the past.

But that’s an opinion not a fact.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

A hard Brexit could probably get back plenty of BXP voters (& Some would return to Labour too) but give up a big chunk to the Lib Dems. On a FPTP basis it could lead to useless votes being piled up in the Northeast for instance whilst Labour take a slew of southern towns like Milton Keynes.

Labour? The same Labour who trail or tie the LDs whoever succeeds May with Yougov? The same Labour who are also likely to lose Peterborough to the Brexit Party tomorrow?
    I had a think about this after I posted and noted Labour's predicament in my next post !
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

My belief is that Brexit happens, life goes on, and over time the vast majority of people focus on stuff that matters in the future not something that happened in the past.

When do you believe Brexit will move into the past?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

My view is that those people who think Brexit will be a success will decide Brexit was a success and that those people who thought Brexit would be a disaster will think Brexit is a disaster. And it will fix votes for or against the Leave parties for a generation accordingly.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Strong capable leadership attracts voters from everywhere just as voters desert a sinking party for any other ship.

• Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Brexit will be a live political issue for the foreseeable future, all the more so if we cross the Article 50 threshold and get into real negotiations on the future relationship.

As for voters coming back over "pocket book concerns", you are assuming a Labour/Tory two-horse race.
    I think once we leave TBP is done. Farage claims victory and heads off into the sunset. If we don’t leave then there is a good chance the Tories are done for.

Ignoring the SNP that makes it a 2/3 horse race - I can see the LibDems continuing to be energised but don’t think they automatically keep former Tories who don’t appreciate their economic policies
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

That's very difficult to see at this point. We need to leave with an agreement and get back to being a responsible party of government, not this disorganised rabble we've become. If we leave without an agreement then the disorganised rabble becomes a permanent feature of the party.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

My view is that those people who think Brexit will be a success will decide Brexit was a success and that those people who thought Brexit would be a disaster will think Brexit is a disaster. And it will fix votes for or against the Leave parties for a generation accordingly.
    Agreed. And that’s probably 10% on both sides.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,848

PaulM said:

Are you offering evens that the Lib Dems will take St Albans? Because if so I would like to be on the Lib Dem side of the bet.
    St. Alban's is curious. It's one of the three Hertfordshire seats (SW Herts. and Watford being the other two) where the Conservatives really punch above their weight at Parliamentary level, and well below it at local level.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Agreed. And that’s probably 10% on both sides.
    Take a look again at voter identification and how many people see themselves as strong Leavers or Remainers. You’re way out.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

I think once we leave TBP is done. Farage claims victory and heads off into the sunset. If we don’t leave then there is a good chance the Tories are done for.

Ignoring the SNP that makes it a 2/3 horse race - I can see the LibDems continuing to be energised but don’t think they automatically keep former Tories who don’t appreciate their economic policies
    But Farage has based half his recent campaign on the Brexit deal (for which read any deal that involves compromise with the EU) being a betrayal. If we leave, he will just be getting started on destroying the Tory party.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992

Given that Leavers don’t accept that the collapse of British Steel was down to Brexit even after the owners’ official statement blamed Brexit, you can’t expect them to accept that the closure of another car manufacturing plant was because of Brexit.

It seems to me that Brexit can hardly have come at a worse time for car manufacturers. They are just beginning a massive switch to electric vehicle production, which will surely require huge investment in new plant and the development of new supplier networks. The uncertainty posed by Brexit is bound to be a factor in dissuading such investment in the UK. So it is not so much the closure of old plants that we need to worry about, rather the potential failure to upgrade plants or open new plants. Brexit is an existential threat to the British car industry.
    Going electric is an existential threat to the EU car industry. Where are the lithium deposits? The current thinking in the car industry is that the EV production will be next door to the battery production because shipping very heavy batteries around the world is expensive. Especially if the EV is then exported again.

The lithium deposits for everyone are in Chile. Germany has zero petroleum and that didn't stop it building an internal combustion engine automotive industry
  • Options

PaulM said:

7th Tory target for the Lib Dems, 5.36% swing needed. 29-22 would be a *checks* 14.45% swing so that gets the Lib Dems down to Chippenham.
  • Options

Charles said:

To be fair you shouldn’t believe anything that Greybull says

All of their statements are designed to maximise the profit they can make.

They basically tried to use Brexit to blackmail the government.
    But when an owner like Honda says that its decision is not particularly to do with Brexit that’s to be taken as gospel. Right...

I wish some Leavers would acknowledge there are downsides to Brexit. Patrick Minford saw it as the death knell for UK manufacturing but he saw that as a price worth paying. Far too many Leavers won’t accept there’s a price to pay at all, in defiance of all available evidence.
    Overall, a lot more jobs have been gained than lost, over the past three years. I accept, Brexit has not yet occurred, and may never occur, but predictions of widespread redundancies have not materialised.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Has Trumpton done one yet?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

But Farage has based half his recent campaign on the Brexit deal (for which read any deal that involves compromise with the EU) being a betrayal. If we leave, he will just be getting started on destroying the Tory party.
    Not everyone supporting Farage now will regard a compromise as a betrayal, they may just want Brexit to happen. So there's no guarantee he would be able to, if they delivered Brexit. That said, Charles is probably underestimating how many would think it was betrayal.

The Tory candidates mostly think the same, hence backing no deal openly or covertly by pretending they can get a new deal but if not then no deal.
  • Options

Tell us how it is Brexit then.

Show all workings.
    When you’re choosing where to retain business, why on earth would you keep it in a place where the current party of government is entertaining choosing a man whose motto is Fuck Business?
    Because the UK is a good place to live (certainly in the top ten worldwide) which matters to the international rich.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The lithium deposits for everyone are in Chile. Germany has zero petroleum and that didn't stop it building an internal combustion engine automotive industry
    Not entirely comparable- you don’t need petrol to build a car.

(Not that you are wrong of course)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Good for you Mr Meeks.
  • Options
    Apropos of nothing, just seen the tape of PMQs.

Rebecca is quite good!

Much better than the Corbynator. I could see myself enjoying a few pints with her (even though she is a Man Utd fan)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Not everyone supporting Farage now will regard a compromise as a betrayal, they may just want Brexit to happen. So there's no guarantee he would be able to, if they delivered Brexit. That said, Charles is probably underestimating how many would think it was betrayal.
    The problem is that even if they just want to get Brexit over and done with, once we actually leave, the negotiations will offer up a constant stream of new humiliations that can either be blamed on the incumbent government or on the deal that allegedly put us in a weak position. The long-term potential for such voters to become more radicalised gets stronger, not weaker.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Off topic - The final Chernobyl episode "Vichnaya Pamyat" has an average 10 rating on IMDB with 17,516 reviews in so far.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

I reckon this website is, to a degree, based on hunches, opinions, and probabilities.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    _Anazina_ said:

Rebecca is quite good!

Much better than the Corbynator. I could see myself enjoying a few pints with her (even though she is a Man Utd fan)

Rebecca who?
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Not entirely comparable- you don’t need petrol to build a car.

(Not that you are wrong of course)
    Fair point.

Nevertheless, world lithium production is utterly dominated by three countries: Argentina, Chile and Australia. (Basically places where there used to be seas, and where it evaperated, leaving lithium rich sands to be mined.) And the lithium deposits in these places, they're not next to major population centres.

Simply, cars are not going to be built close to lithium deposits. Instead (like with steel) the raw material will be shipped to close to where the cars are produced - whether that is Alabama, Detroit or Germany.
  • Options

David Walliams on prime time BBC1 using D-day to promote his latest book.

Do he and the BBC have no shame?

Walliams is unbearable. A self-obsessed helmet.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

I reckon this website is, to a degree, based on hunches, opinions, and probabilities.
    That's political commentary and punditry for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

But Alastair is obsessively monomaniacal on this topic so I like to yank his chain and set him running every so often

(I am currently in hour 5 of sitting in a room with lawyers)
  • Options
    Are we still paying for Trumpton to parade around this country like some sort of royalty, rather than the bellend that he is?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Off topic - The final Chernobyl episode "Vichnaya Pamyat" has an average 10 rating on IMDB with 17,516 reviews in so far.

They've renewed it for a second season. I can't wait to see what more plot twists they can get in there.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

But Alastair is obsessively monomaniacal on this topic so I like to yank his chain and set him running every so often

Good luck. I hope they're able to get you off.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Rebecca is quite good!

Rebecca who?
    Despite your snarky comments, if she and her sparring partner Lidington led the two main parties we’d all be a lot better off, and the country wouldn’t be an international embarrassment.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Are we still paying for Trumpton to parade around this country like some sort of royalty, rather than the bellend that he is?

Depends on your worldview.

He said earlier that he’d come to Ireland because of how strong his relationship with the U.K. was.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

Translation: "I have no answer to Alastair's points but I am confident as well as ignorant".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

Good luck. I hope they're able to get you off.
    You should invest in this company
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,297
    AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Rebecca is quite good!

Rebecca who?
    Rebecca Long-Barrier.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    Sean_F said:

Charles said:

But when an owner like Honda says that its decision is not particularly to do with Brexit that’s to be taken as gospel. Right...

I wish some Leavers would acknowledge there are downsides to Brexit. Patrick Minford saw it as the death knell for UK manufacturing but he saw that as a price worth paying. Far too many Leavers won’t accept there’s a price to pay at all, in defiance of all available evidence.
    Overall, a lot more jobs have been gained than lost, over the past three years. I accept, Brexit has not yet occurred, and may never occur, but predictions of widespread redundancies have not materialised.
    Well paid manufacturing jobs are falling like 9 pins! Highly qualified time-served engineers are retraining to become zero- hours agency refuse collection drivers or setting themselves up as self- employed dog- sitters. All this lowest unemployment nonsense since the 1960s is all smoke and mirrors!

These automotive jobs like Ford in Bridgend came to the UK with massive European Social fund incentives in the 80s and 90s. What did the EU ever do for us? When they go they are gone forever. Ultimately these full-employment,self-employed or zero-hours jobs are unsustainable without 'real' jobs to back them up. People won't need dog walkers when they have time on their hands to walk their own dog!
  • Options
    Charles said:

_Anazina_ said:

Depends on your worldview.

He said earlier that he’d come to Ireland because of how strong his relationship with the U.K. was.
    What an absolutely ignorant cockend that man is.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,715
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

We were told by Brexiteers that companies would just carry on as usual after Brexit. It looks like Brexiteers have been proved wrong again and yet the stupid nutters insist that we go ahead with Brexit despite the pain:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48533790
    Ford Bridgend closure with thousands of job losses.

They would likely have closed it anyway...
    Leavers before 2016: EU encourages UK businesses to relocate. Look at Ford in Southampton!
    Leavers since 2016: Nothing to do with Brexit as they would have closed anyway. Look at Ford in Southampton!

(Edit: duplicate removed)

Man, and there was me thinking that the new governmental push for zero emissions, the diesel scandal and the general downturn in demand for cars may have had some impact on the automobile industry

Now I see! It’s all to do with Brexit!
    It's an amalgam of issues but the really telling thing is that no-one is investing in the UK at the time when the industry is going through profound change. Germany will invest IIRC nearly €40 billion over the next three years in electric and autonomous vehicles. The UK essentially nothing. The UK did make serious investments before Brexit. When we come out of the current production cycle, Germany will have a major car industry. We probably won't.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,603
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

My belief is that Brexit happens, life goes on, and over time the vast majority of people focus on stuff that matters in the future....
    Over what timescale do you guess that might happen ?

I don’t want to accuse you of handwaving, but there are some considerable implied assumptions in the ‘life goes on’ bit.

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Agreed. Leaving the EU, with or without a deal, is only the beginning for Farage et al. They are quite literally revolutionaries. They won’t be happy until the streets are running with blood. They won’t even be happy then.
  • Options

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

Translation: "I have no answer to Alastair's points but I am confident as well as ignorant".
    Nope. Fundamentally you think this is a permanent realignment, I think it’s a transitory matter of great but temporary salience. Both are plausible positions and I’m not sure that either of us have the data to determine the “right” answer
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

You don't need petrol to manufacture cars, you do need (a lot of) lithium.
  • Options

Show all workings.
    When you’re choosing where to retain business, why on earth would you keep it in a place where the current party of government is entertaining choosing a man whose motto is Fuck Business?
    Hmm. Lower Corporation Tax rates, Free Ports, Investment incentives...
    You missed out unicorns, fairy dust and the assurance that he’ll still respect you in the morning.
    I'm really sorry that everyone keeps talking about unicorns. I'd be much happier if we could have dragons with our Brexit. I think they'd be a lot more fun.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

My belief is that Brexit happens, life goes on, and over time the vast majority of people focus on stuff that matters in the future....
    Over what timescale do you guess that might happen ?

I don’t want to accuse you of handwaving, but there are some considerable implied assumptions in the ‘life goes on’ bit.

I think it will be before the 2022 election but it might take until 2027
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Nevertheless, the places where lithium is, people are not. (I.e. Australian outback, Chilean and Argentinian deserts.)
  • Options

Show all workings.
    You missed out unicorns, fairy dust and the assurance that he’ll still respect you in the morning.
    I'm really sorry that everyone keeps talking about unicorns. I'd be much happier if we could have dragons with our Brexit. I think they'd be a lot more fun.
    With the scorched earth Brexit that Leavers want Britain to head for, you may get your wish.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

You need a lot of steel, but they don't locate car plants next to iron ore mines.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

Nope. Fundamentally you think this is a permanent realignment, I think it’s a transitory matter of great but temporary salience. Both are plausible positions and I’m not sure that either of us have the data to determine the “right” answer
    Well over 70% of the public see themselves as very or fairly strong Leavers or Remainers. By comparison, under half that number have similar allegiance to a political party. There is absolutely no reason to think this divide is going to go away.

You have no evidence for your alternative facts other than hope, because you are obsessed by your malign hobbyhorse.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Nevertheless, the places where lithium is, people are not. (I.e. Australian outback, Chilean and Argentinian deserts.)
    Surely even heavy Lithium batterries travel fairly cheaply by sea?

Considering the numbers of cars in Britain sold at competitive prices and made in the Far East, shipping costs must be fairly small.
  • Options

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

OK, I'll give you evens on that. Next GE only though, not a byelection. Will do up to £100. Can be charity bet if you like.

It is a strange one as the LibDems have a great candidate and organisation and Anne Main is not popular, but I still think JC4PM is a problem.
  • Options

Show all workings.
    Workings in this thread from the UK Society of Motor Manufacturers. If you're really interested ...

https://twitter.com/SMMT/status/1135460395030913024
  • Options

Show all workings.
    Brexit isn’t meant to be “fun”. Brexiteers are puritans. How much “fun” do you think folk had under Lutheran or Calvinist fundamentalists?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Agree, but shipping from Australia to Asia (not difficult) or SA to NA (also not a big deal) will be more favourable than shipping to Europe from those locations.

Europe is in dead last when it comes to EV manufacturing IMO, brexit has clearly prevented significant investment in the industry (only a fool would say otherwise) but a lot of the woes across EU car manufacturing is because we lost the big bet on diesel and investment conditions for EVs are more favourable elsewhere in the world.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

This is really interesting and should be read by everyone:

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1136318700317945856?s=21

Leavers with BaME heritage aren't voting for the Brexit party and are sticking with Labour.
    Doesn't that analysis suggest, amongst other things, that Boris might struggle to hold his West London seat?

I seem to recall suggesting before that he might have problems but got poo-pooed. Not convinced I'm wrong though. Don't forget too that there are some Londoners who recall him being a very pro-Remain Mayor. That won't help him.
    No Hillingdon which contains Uxbridge voted Leave and the Brexit Party won it in the European Parliament elections and Boris makes his biggest gains with Brexit Party voters in that Yougov poll yesterday
    You seem to be rather glossing over the key calculation elements of by how much BXP won, who came second, and the effects of swinging 17% from BXP to Con - would that be enough for Con to come first, or just to let (say) the LDs through the middle.

Have you, in fact, dealt with these and are just summarising, or simply saying "BXP came first there on a heavily split vote, a chunk of that would go Con, therefore Boris is fine"?
  • Options
    The Remain-Leave division was created by Cameron and his idiotic decision to hold a referendum. It will now be with us for a generation, at least. A sad divide created unnecessarily by a dickhead who has now disappeared from view.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

OK, I'll give you evens on that. Next GE only though, not a byelection. Will do up to £100. Can be charity bet if you like.

It is a strange one as the LibDems have a great candidate and organisation and Anne Main is not popular, but I still think JC4PM is a problem.
    You're on - a charity bet it is, £100 from the loser to the cause of the winner's choice.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

I doubt he looks like a lawn mower, and I largely agree with him.
    But very big sympathies about the meeting.
    Whenever I must meet with a financial adviser I tank up on coffee, and those sessions seldom extend beyond an hour.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

Well over 70% of the public see themselves as very or fairly strong Leavers or Remainers. By comparison, under half that number have similar allegiance to a political party. There is absolutely no reason to think this divide is going to go away.

You have no evidence for your alternative facts other than hope, because you are obsessed by your malign hobbyhorse.
    Sure it’s a high profile polarising event of the moment.

You have no evidence for the persistence of this divide other than hope because you are obsessed by your malign hobbyhorse
  • Options

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

You're on - a charity bet it is, £100 from the loser to the cause of the winner's choice.
    Will you both pay to a charity if the Brexit Party or Labour somehow wins St Albans :D ?!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

AndyJS said:

_Anazina_ said:

Rebecca is quite good!

Rebecca who?
    Rebecca Long-Barrier.
    Is there meant to be a joke in there somehwere Sunil?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    _Anazina_ said:

The Remain-Leave division was created by Cameron and his idiotic decision to hold a referendum. It will now be with us for a generation, at least. A sad divide created unnecessarily by a dickhead who has now disappeared from view.

Both your language and post quality is deteriorating again.

This isn’t Twitter.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

Will you both pay to a charity if the Brexit Party or Labour somehow wins St Albans :D ?!
    I will stump up. In those circumstances, I will give you the honour of nominating a charity @Pulpstar.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

On what grounds? That Tory rating was on the basis of a Boris led Tory Party reaching 29% and Boris has made clear we are leaving the EU Deal or No Deal without further extension.

Given Labour is on an abysmal 21% and only tied with the LDs on that poll with a Boris led Tory Party not impossible a Boris led Tory Party could win a majority under FPTP even on just mid to late 20s
    You understand that if the Tories lose votes to other parties, the other parties go up as well as the Tories going down?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Toms said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

Have you asked them all?

Of course it is.

You have no evidence for the persistence of this divide other than hope because you are obsessed by your malign hobbyhorse
    Hmm, I think if we leave then the remainers will struggle to vote Con/Lab for a very long time. We could see some pretty odd results and a possible existential crisis for Labour or Conservative (or both) in either scenario.

I don't think we are at a BAU situation if we leave. Though I think as a party we have no chance of ever being in power again if we don't.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    _Anazina_ said:

I suspect the issue would have come to a head eventually, what with the EU's desire for continued integration.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

Agreed. Leaving the EU, with or without a deal, is only the beginning for Farage et al. They are quite literally revolutionaries. They won’t be happy until the streets are running with blood. They won’t even be happy then.

Actually I think Farage would be perfectly happy with being PM. No blood required if that condition is met.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

I will stump up. In those circumstances, I will give you the honour of nominating a charity @Pulpstar.
    I think the Lib Dems will stroll St Albans very comfortably indeed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Agree, but shipping from Australia to Asia (not difficult) or SA to NA (also not a big deal) will be more favourable than shipping to Europe from those locations.

Europe is in dead last when it comes to EV manufacturing IMO, brexit has clearly prevented significant investment in the industry (only a fool would say otherwise) but a lot of the woes across EU car manufacturing is because we lost the big bet on diesel and investment conditions for EVs are more favourable elsewhere in the world.
    I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think you need to look at this on a company-by-company basis. Porsche's Taycan has more than 25,000 pre-orders (12 months of production). Which puts it ahead of the i-Pace (which is clocking 1,400 sales a month), but behind the Model S (3,500).

I think companies like Puegot (PSA) have spent next to nothing and are back of the pack, but VW and BMW are both ahead of most US brands as far as electrification. (Although, way behind Tesla, for example.)

• Options

Pulpstar said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

PaulM said:

I will do likewise. Thanks Alastair.
  • Options

Actually I think Farage would be perfectly happy with being PM. No blood required if that condition is met.
    Internal Tory bleeding will suffice.
  • Options
    I decided to have a go at filling in the blanks as far as Tory leadership endorsements are concerned with an estimate of how the undeclared MPs might vote. These are the figures I came out with:

Johnson 98
    Hunt 52
    Raab 45
    Gove 44
    Stewart 21
    Javid 19
    Hancock 13
    Harper 7
    McVey 6
    Leadsom 4
    Gyimah 4

I couldn't think of any further supporters for Hancock, Harper, McVey, Leadsom or Gyimah, although in reality they'll probably pick up more votes. Also I've probably overestimated Johnson's total because I was tending to give him the votes of difficult to allocate MP on the basis that the frontrunner tends to do well with the undecided.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    edited June 2019
    Amazing VAR

Portugal 1 Swiss 0 and Portugal awarded a penalty

However, the ref reviews it under VAR and awards a penalty instead to the Swiss from their last attack

Swiss score so 1 -1 out of the blue and a first for VAR
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

Well paid manufacturing jobs are falling like 9 pins! Highly qualified time-served engineers are retraining to become zero- hours agency refuse collection drivers or setting themselves up as self- employed dog- sitters. All this lowest unemployment nonsense since the 1960s is all smoke and mirrors!

These automotive jobs like Ford in Bridgend came to the UK with massive European Social fund incentives in the 80s and 90s. What did the EU ever do for us? When they go they are gone forever. Ultimately these full-employment,self-employed or zero-hours jobs are unsustainable without 'real' jobs to back them up. People won't need dog walkers when they have time on their hands to walk their own dog!
    It's a myth that somehow the jobs being created at the moment are not "real jobs." Most job growth is now full time employment.

It's something of a slight of hand to blame every job loss on Brexit, while thinking up some other cause for every job gain.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Hmm, I think if we leave then the remainers will struggle to vote Con/Lab for a very long time. We could see some pretty odd results and a possible existential crisis for Labour or Conservative (or both) in either scenario.

I don't think we are at a BAU situation if we leave. Though I think as a party we have no chance of ever being in power again if we don't.
    The Conservatives have two routes to a longterm future from here. The first is to secure a form of Brexit, accepting that they will be throwing in their lot with a declining demographic and trusting to the effluxion of time. Frankly it doesn't look very good from here, not least because securing a form of Brexit looks unlikely from here.

The second is much more promising but requires a conspiracy of silence. It requires the Conservatives to lose power very quickly, before Brexit can be completed, and letting someone else pull the plug on the project.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I sometimes wonder if Trump really is educationally subnormal.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Pulpstar said:

Chernobyl is simply superb and lives up to the hype.

It treats its audience like intelligent grown-ups and gives them the technical detail they want to know.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

I disagree.

I think that's a very complacent view and you are underestimating how strongly some people people feel about Brexit. It will depend how Brexit actually plays out of course but if it does come to be generally viewed as a grave mistake it will be a long time before many former voters will forgive the Conservative party. I might be wrong but I suspect that you will be one of those who don't expect to be be personally inconvenienced if Brexit turns out to be an economic disaster.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    AndyJS said:

I decided to have a go at filling in the blanks as far as Tory leadership endorsements are concerned with an estimate of how the undeclared MPs might vote. These are the figures I came out with:

Johnson 98
    Hunt 52
    Raab 45
    Gove 44
    Stewart 21
    Javid 19
    Hancock 13
    Harper 7
    McVey 6
    Leadsom 4
    Gyimah 4

I couldn't think of any further supporters for Hancock, Harper, McVey, Leadsom or Gyimah, although in reality they'll probably pick up more votes. Also I've probably overestimated Johnson's total because I was tending to give him the votes of difficult to allocate MP on the basis that the frontrunner tends to do well with the undecided.

Wouldn't the undecided be more likely to use their votes tactically? Either to get a minor candidate over the threshold and into the next round or boost an acceptable second or third choice? There is precious little utility in backing the front runner at this stage even if you are tending towards supporting him eventually.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

Scott_P said:
    Me too. The evidence points to me missing the point rather than him though.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems have a very simple message, all to themselves. Vote for us to keep the status quo, if you don't like change without clear benefits. It's a message the Conservatives used successfully for a hundred or more years. It's strange for the Lib Dems to be the incumbency party.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Scott_P said:
    Me too. The evidence points to me missing the point rather than him though.
    But I’d hope you knew that there isn’t a wall across Ireland?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AndyJS said:

Johnson 98
    Hunt 52
    Raab 45
    Gove 44
    Stewart 21
    Javid 19
    Hancock 13
    Harper 7
    McVey 6
    Leadsom 4
    Gyimah 4

Wouldn't the undecided be more likely to use their votes tactically? Either to get a minor candidate over the threshold and into the next round or boost an acceptable second or third choice? There is precious little utility in backing the front runner at this stage even if you are tending towards supporting him eventually.
    That may be true but I have a feeling a lot of Tory MPs like to back the frontrunner if they don't have any strong preferences.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. I think you need to look at this on a company-by-company basis. Porsche's Taycan has more than 25,000 pre-orders (12 months of production). Which puts it ahead of the i-Pace (which is clocking 1,400 sales a month), but behind the Model S (3,500).

I think companies like Puegot (PSA) have spent next to nothing and are back of the pack, but VW and BMW are both ahead of most US brands as far as electrification. (Although, way behind Tesla, for example.)

I'm not sure that we can easily say 25k pre orders is 12 months worth of sales. The ramp up could take a lot longer.

I think the issue isn't that Europe won't make any EVs that's obviously not going to be the case, but we're going to move from having a very solid market share of global production to a much worse one and I think this affects the whole continent not just this country or Germany. We bet on the wrong horse.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

The Conservatives have two routes to a longterm future from here. The first is to secure a form of Brexit, accepting that they will be throwing in their lot with a declining demographic and trusting to the effluxion of time. Frankly it doesn't look very good from here, not least because securing a form of Brexit looks unlikely from here.

The second is much more promising but requires a conspiracy of silence. It requires the Conservatives to lose power very quickly, before Brexit can be completed, and letting someone else pull the plug on the project.
    I agree with the second point to some degree, I think losing an election on brexit and watching Labour pull the plug will probably mean we will be back within a few years, though I'm not sure what the party would look like.
  • Options
    Catastrophic election for the Danish People's Party (allies of Alternative für Deutschland, Italian Lega, French National Front etc). They have lost more than half of their MPs.
  • Options
    StuartDickson said

This cartoon of the emperor's new clothes is a favourite of mine:
    https://tinyurl.com/y3sp8hj5
This discussion has been closed.