Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There’s no automaticity that the next Tory leader becomes Prim

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1136645501246423040

She's growing on me. Bit more of a grown up than Raab.

The Tories are making a mistake overlooking her in my view. But they clearly are overlooking her.
    They better bloody overlook her !
    You won't have me disagree with that sentiment now.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    edited June 2019
    TGOHF said:

Any chance Labour can sneak Peterborough by virtue of a minor Con revival ?

Lab polled 22950 on a 67.5% turnout.

So a 100% turnout is circa 70k electors so

Lab 14000
    TBP 14000
    Con 7000

on a 50% turnout???

Straws clutching methinks
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Clearly some of my comments on PB over the past 15 years have been over-interpreted.

Love it :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    Tabman said:

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

In our culture war I reckon that the majority is just - JUST - with the cognescenti over the ignorami.

One interesting feature of the D-Day coverage is that while those who fantasize about Brexit fetishize World War II, those who actually lived through it are not Brexiteers
    When you look at leading Nazis, they were often born before WW1 but not old enough to serve in it - yet old enough to experience the 1920s at a formative age. When I look at my father he remembers the war clearly (he was 3 in 1936) but views it as exciting.
    Really? I don't know off top of my head, but I would guess only Speer wasn't old enough to have had some WWI experience.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Lab 14000
    TBP 14000
    Con 7000

on a 50% turnout???

More likely
    TBP 12000
    Lab 10000
    LD 7000
    Con 6000
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,141
    eek said:

I don't think this story is about Boris, it's about the even more insaner wing...

Yes, the Bakers etc.

Boris Johnson is a charlatan not a crackpot.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,252
    This week’s commemorations have been quite profound and moving and they have prompted me to reflect on Brexit. I voted remain as the least best option and I have no love for Juncker’s and those around him but ever since the vote I have supported Brexit as it was a democratic vote. I considered, and still consider, TM deal was a very good compromise and as she has said on several occasions we would have left on the 29th March if the HOC had not decided to take a collective leave of it's senses with neither side giving way

While watching the unveiling of the Memorial to our dead in Normandy this morning and the subsequent service in Bayeux Cathedral I just kept saying to myself ‘Brexit is pointless, utterly pointless’ and my emotions were one of exasperation and despair that we should even think of leaving the family of EU nations and making ourselves look utterly stupid in the process

Listening to conservatives talking of proroguing Parliament and not declaring TM successor until the HOC is on summer leave just makes me think it is time everyone took a long and hard look at just what an unnecessary mess this is and either back TM WDA or stop Brexit

If Boris is elected I will only support him and the party to the point they arrive at a deal, even as Gove suggested with a delay if necessary, but my party seems to be in the process of leaving me and if it is taken over by the McVeys, Raabs, Bakers, Cash and others, I will resign my membership but I will not join another political party

In certain circumstances I could vote Lib Dems in the next election but it will be a carefully considered decision as it would be a very difficult for me to leave my party at this time
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

TGOHF said:

Lab 14000
    TBP 14000
    Con 7000

on a 50% turnout???

Turnout was 35% in the European election. I think the by-election will be low 40s.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Tabman said:

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

In our culture war I reckon that the majority is just - JUST - with the cognescenti over the ignorami.

One interesting feature of the D-Day coverage is that while those who fantasize about Brexit fetishize World War II, those who actually lived through it are not Brexiteers
    When you look at leading Nazis, they were often born before WW1 but not old enough to serve in it - yet old enough to experience the 1920s at a formative age. When I look at my father he remembers the war clearly (he was 3 in 1936) but views it as exciting.
    Really? I don't know off top of my head, but I would guess only Speer wasn't old enough to have had some WWI experience.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Heydrich

By leading - I mean the tier who actually were the ambitious ones running things directly.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited June 2019
    stodge said:

viewcode said:

Woah, not so fast. The reason why we subtract the Speaker, the vacancy and the SF MPs is because they don't vote. But the 5 ChUKs and the 16 independents can and do vote, so you can't subtract them for majority purposes.

The question if you assume (as I have) all 313 Conservatives would oppose a VONC put up by Jeremy Corbyn and I'm sure they would is what would the remaining 328 MPs do.

'm more convinced now the LDs would support a VONC because a GE would probably go well for the Party. In any case, I can only get to 297 with all Labour, SNP, LD, Plaid and Green MPs. Some of the Independents might support a VONC, some might not and the position of CUK is far from clear.

By my crude calculations, if CUK and DUP abstain, the VONC will fall on the Speaker's casting vote as the Commons would be tied 313-313. IF Labour wins the Peterborough by-election, that becomes 314-313 in favour of the VONC. As to what a newly-elected BXP MP would do faced with a VONC, I don't know.
    I think four "non Change" ex Lab MPs (inc Onasanya) abstained on the last VONC.

Plus Lady Hermon voted for the Govt.

Why would any of the above vote differently next time?

Even assuming Lab wins Peterborough that's a net five more votes for the Govt (one more for, four less against).
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes indeed.

And I also don't think Boris cares at all about Brexit - he would be happy with absolutely any result as long as the problem is "sorted".

He doesn't. Wrote those 2 articles, remember, one Leave and one Remain.

I don't even think he'd mind the problem rumbling on for a few years so long as he was the PM under which it was rumbling.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

MikeL said:

I think some people are overthinking this.

Surely if Boris wins then on Day 1 he'll say he's going to get a deal blah blah blah.

He has already said we are leaving in October without a deal, so no...
    No.

He has not said he won't try and get a deal.

He may have said he'll leave with No Deal if necessary but his initial "focus" will be on getting a deal.

Boris and "focus"" - yes, I know!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Perhaps a tendency to be less sanguine about the dangers of aggressive nationalism on the continent if you remember how it panned out last time.
  • Options
    9000-9400 votes would be 'par' for the Brexit party off the back of their European election performance.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Woah, not so fast. The reason why we subtract the Speaker, the vacancy and the SF MPs is because they don't vote. But the 5 ChUKs and the 16 independents can and do vote, so you can't subtract them for majority purposes.

The question if you assume (as I have) all 313 Conservatives would oppose a VONC put up by Jeremy Corbyn and I'm sure they would is what would the remaining 328 MPs do.

'm more convinced now the LDs would support a VONC because a GE would probably go well for the Party. In any case, I can only get to 297 with all Labour, SNP, LD, Plaid and Green MPs. Some of the Independents might support a VONC, some might not and the position of CUK is far from clear.

By my crude calculations, if CUK and DUP abstain, the VONC will fall on the Speaker's casting vote as the Commons would be tied 313-313. IF Labour wins the Peterborough by-election, that becomes 314-313 in favour of the VONC. As to what a newly-elected BXP MP would do faced with a VONC, I don't know.

Even assuming Lab wins Peterborough that's a net five more votes for the Govt (one more for, four less against).
    Boris losing a VoNC is predicated on some of the (current) 313 Tory MPs voting for it. There are two routes to this: 1. some of the 313 resign the whip when Boris becomes leader or when he states the policy is No Deal. I think there will be a small number who do this. 2. Some sitting Tories vote for it. This is also possible to a small extent; the MPs who do it would of course have the whip withdrawn. It's more likely if someone other than Corbyn moves the VoNC; maybe they could get the LD leader to do it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

GIN1138 said:

I've always thought this is what happens.

1. Parliament breaks for Summer receess sometime around 20th July.

2. New Con leader elected around 22nd July (after recess has started)

3. Con leader become PM around 22nd.

4. Parliament returns 5th September and at that sitting the PM will move to dissolve the House and have a general election (so no need for VONC)

5. General election 17th October

Still think that's broadly how things will work out but its possible Theresa May might stay on as PM until the result of the general election is known - however I think when the new Con leader takes over the pressure on her to leave Downing St will be so great that she'll do the hand over quite quickly.

All roads lead to an Autumn election though. Sorry Brenda. :D

1, 2 and 3 seem fine to me. But 4. Why?

I think neither Labour nor the Cons will want a GE in light of recent events. I don't think either a VoNC or a move to dissolve Parliament will pass, no matter who is whipped. Too many snouts in the trough to risk an early election.
    Plus, we haven't time. We need to use September to crack on with trying to pass the deal/prepare for no deal/revoke as appropriate.
    3 is where it falls down. May cannot ask the Queen to call Boris to the Palace as she knows (as will the Queen by then) that he cannot command the confidence. Enough Tory No Dealers will have made it plain they will not support him.

The million dollar question is are there just enough wildly Leave/No deal Labour MPs like Hoey who would exit the Labour whip in order to support Boris in a confidence vote, to persuade May she can resign on time?
    There is no one like Hoey, no.
  • Options

The cognescenti can't be that cognescenti as a significant chunk of them want Corbyn as their PM.

If only Yvette or Ed Balls or Starmer or frankly just about anyone else was LOTO.

Stuck with him for now. I like to focus more on the policy direction of this iteration of Labour - which I broadly support.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Tabman said:

Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

Hitler (b1894) and Goering (b1893) fought in WW1. Goebbels (b1897) was medically unfit. But some of the other leading Nazis, Bormann, Heydrich, Himmler, were born after 1900 and too young to fight before the war ended.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Boris losing a VoNC is predicated on some of the (current) 313 Tory MPs voting for it. There are two routes to this: 1. some of the 313 resign the whip when Boris becomes leader or when he states the policy is No Deal. I think there will be a small number who do this. 2. Some sitting Tories vote for it. This is also possible to a small extent; the MPs who do it would of course have the whip withdrawn. It's more likely if someone other than Corbyn moves the VoNC; maybe they could get the LD leader to do it.
    Can anyone other than Corbyn 'move' a VONC, or must he 'table' it .. ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987

Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

Seems like a lot of knicker wetting - can’t see any of the serious contenders not being able to get the DUP on side.

As for any Con rebels - to go against a new leader in the first month after being installed on a vote of the members ? Nah - I’m not having it.

Oh, you may not wish it to, but it will happen. Boris has made some serious enemies, but more importantly there are some that have genuine principles and will never support him. I would predict a conservative estimate (pun intended) at least 4 defections based on strong evidence. Swivel-eyed members who think they should foist a Brexit charlatan on a parliamentary party that does not want him will be in for a shock. Hopefully the more sensible will have second thoughts like they did with David Davis.
    "Thank you for electing me as your leader. Over the summer recess, I have been discussing our Brexit strategy with Michael, our new COE, and I am persuaded that it is in the best interests of the country and our party that I ask the new leadership of the EU for a short extension in order that we can come to a sensible agreement in our mutual interest. Love Boris".
    Except he can't ask for an extension, he is not PM. May remains PM if he wins leadership. Gove is not CoE either, Hammond is.

And even if he announces that he would seek an extension as soon as he is PM, should the Palace believe that the ultra Tory remainers believe him?

Perhaps May needs to ask for at least a year's extension as soon as the leadership contest is under way?
    I think if Boris reneged on his no-deal spiel that will have bought him the leadership, the Tory membership will gnash their teeth but will be powerless. Boris mission achieved.

The ERG won't be happy either. But would they VONC him and be kicked out of the party? I think Boris survives as PM and asks for an extension. The EU will grant a four year extension and say "don't bother us until you have got your act together. We have more important things to do."

It would be great if May asked for a year's extension as soon as the leadership contest is underway but I can't see that happening.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

GIN1138 said:

4. Parliament returns 5th September and at that sitting the PM will move to dissolve the House and have a general election (so no need for VONC)

Still think that's broadly how things will work out but its possible Theresa May might stay on as PM until the result of the general election is known - however I think when the new Con leader takes over the pressure on her to leave Downing St will be so great that she'll do the hand over quite quickly.

I think neither Labour nor the Cons will want a GE in light of recent events. I don't think either a VoNC or a move to dissolve Parliament will pass, no matter who is whipped. Too many snouts in the trough to risk an early election.
    Plus, we haven't time. We need to use September to crack on with trying to pass the deal/prepare for no deal/revoke as appropriate.
    3 is where it falls down. May cannot ask the Queen to call Boris to the Palace as she knows (as will the Queen by then) that he cannot command the confidence. Enough Tory No Dealers will have made it plain they will not support him.

The million dollar question is are there just enough wildly Leave/No deal Labour MPs like Hoey who would exit the Labour whip in order to support Boris in a confidence vote, to persuade May she can resign on time?
    There is no one like Hoey, no.
    Noone from the Labour side will help Boris command the confidence of the house. Not Hoey or (R) Campbell, the two hardest Brexiteers there.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

9000-9400 votes would be 'par' for the Brexit party off the back of their European election performance.

Is that based on EE turnout?? If so I go for

TBP 9600
    Lab 8000
    LD 5600
    Con 4800
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    Pulpstar said:

Dadge said:

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Any MP can move a VONC however only VONCs moved by the Leader of the Opposition have priority over all other business.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Is that based on EE turnout??
    I worked it out as 9343 on EE turnout. There is the fact that BXP is slightly weaker in the constituency than the council area but also turnout sounds a bit up. They might cancel up to a max of 10,000 or so.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    Is Daniel Hannan doing Jeremy Hunt's job now?

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1136591077153091584
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,069

This week’s commemorations have been quite profound and moving and they have prompted me to reflect on Brexit. I voted remain as the least best option and I have no love for Juncker’s and those around him but ever since the vote I have supported Brexit as it was a democratic vote. I considered, and still consider, TM deal was a very good compromise and as she has said on several occasions we would have left on the 29th March if the HOC had not decided to take a collective leave of it's senses with neither side giving way

While watching the unveiling of the Memorial to our dead in Normandy this morning and the subsequent service in Bayeux Cathedral I just kept saying to myself ‘Brexit is pointless, utterly pointless’ and my emotions were one of exasperation and despair that we should even think of leaving the family of EU nations and making ourselves look utterly stupid in the process

Listening to conservatives talking of proroguing Parliament and not declaring TM successor until the HOC is on summer leave just makes me think it is time everyone took a long and hard look at just what an unnecessary mess this is and either back TM WDA or stop Brexit

If Boris is elected I will only support him and the party to the point they arrive at a deal, even as Gove suggested with a delay if necessary, but my party seems to be in the process of leaving me and if it is taken over by the McVeys, Raabs, Bakers, Cash and others, I will resign my membership but I will not join another political party

In certain circumstances I could vote Lib Dems in the next election but it will be a carefully considered decision as it would be a very difficult for me to leave my party at this time

Couldn't agree more. This farce needs to end. What a powerful and moving post, thank-you for sharing your thoughts.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Lab 14000
    TBP 14000
    Con 7000

on a 50% turnout???

More likely
    TBP 12000
    Lab 10000
    LD 7000
    Con 6000
    On a 40% turnout

TBP 9600
    Lab 8000
    LD 5600
    Con 4800
  • Options

I am not going to trigger you by suggesting you take a serious look at Labour as a possibility, because that is a very good post indeed.

Are there ANY circumstances, though, in which ... ?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

If the VONC was intended to stop a government taking the UK into no deal against the wishes of parliament then I think all the independents would vote against the government. Remember that such a vote would not necessarily lead to an election - it could result in a GNU, a Labour minority government or even another Tory leadership election. The Tories could decide to install what would be a powerless Labour minority and let them hold the Brexit baby for a short time.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

I think that the drop in the Conservative vote share will be comparable to by-elections in 1993-97.
    The average fall in the Conservatives' vote share over that period was 21% in England, but that included safe Labour seats. The maximum fall was 32% in Christchurch. Even a 32% drop suggest a floor of 14% for the Conservatives in Peterborough.
    I think that floor is optimistic.

The difference between 1993-1997 and now is that then there was a direct right to left swing. This time there is an alternative party on the right.

The comparison should not be with 1993 England but 1993 Canada.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,661
    MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Phillip Hammond was pretty clear he would put country ahead of party. If he is already in that position and mindset, it is hard to see that there are not another 20-30 who would do the same, particularly with the cover of such a senior figure being involved. What CUK or the DUP do will be irrelevant if an explicit no dealer is leader of the Tories or a VONC is the only way to stop no deal.

Far more likely however is a fudge PM, promising unicorns which they will get given a few weeks to find, during which time parliament blocks no deal (the PM will not try to stop parliament doing this and would allow time for it). This would avoid a VONC needing to take place to stop Brexit. The fudge PM can play to the angry Brexiteer narrative, continuing to sow division in the country whilst doing absolutely nothing on Brexit, because they cant and nothing on anything else either, because they spend all their energy on Brexit.

Wonderful.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    The reports from the knock-up sound in line with what I'd expect from a by-election where things are neither great nor disastrous. Sticking to my prediction: BXP 1 by a few thousand, Lab 2, LD and Con well behind, everyone else nowhere/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Here's the question:
    Would turkeys vote for Christmas? I.e., would Change UK (or rebel Conservative MPs) vote for an early General Election despite the fact that it would almost inevitably result in their unemployment?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the 11 SNP MPs who voted against the Callaghan government in 1979, despite it being clear that a large number of them would lose their jobs in the event of an election.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Lab 14000
    TBP 14000
    Con 7000

on a 50% turnout???

More likely
    TBP 12000
    Lab 10000
    LD 7000
    Con 6000
    On a 40% turnout

TBP 9600
    Lab 8000
    LD 5600
    Con 4800
    Looks plausible enough.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

TGOHF said:

I think that the drop in the Conservative vote share will be comparable to by-elections in 1993-97.
    The average fall in the Conservatives' vote share over that period was 21% in England, but that included safe Labour seats. The maximum fall was 32% in Christchurch. Even a 32% drop suggest a floor of 14% for the Conservatives in Peterborough.
    Have you started debating yourself again?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

Here's the question:
    Would turkeys vote for Christmas? I.e., would Change UK (or rebel Conservative MPs) vote for an early General Election despite the fact that it would almost inevitably result in their unemployment?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the 11 SNP MPs who voted against the Callaghan government in 1979, despite it being clear that a large number of them would lose their jobs in the event of an election.

Those nats are unsung heroes; ushering in the great era of Thatcherism! :D
  • Options
    From this week's Popbitch

>> Odds behaviour <<

Bettor the devil you know

Earlier this week, Tory hopeful Jeremy Hunt let slip that he knew Boris Johnson had shorter odds than him at Ladbrokes. It's no surprise that MPs are clued in to the movements on political betting markets (not least because the bookies have sometimes outperformed the pollsters in recent elections) but it's unusual to hear them speak about it so directly. It's supposed to be one of their secret weapons.

In fact, there's a strong rumour going around those in the know that the reason Andrea Leadsom's odds are as short as they is that people in her camp are steadily backing her on Betfair's exchange market in order to manipulate her price. Which would explain why she appears to still be doing so well with none of her colleagues coming out to back her.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I am not going to trigger you by suggesting you take a serious look at Labour as a possibility, because that is a very good post indeed.

I'll answer that for him. No, not with Corbyn in charge.
  • Options
    Farage's first MP could be someone who he met only a few weeks ago.

I can see trouble ahead.
  • Options
    My prediction for today: BXP 38 Lab 30 Con 16 LD 8 Green 4
  • Options
    edited June 2019

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Phillip Hammond was pretty clear he would put country ahead of party. If he is already in that position and mindset, it is hard to see that there are not another 20-30 who would do the same, particularly with the cover of such a senior figure being involved. What CUK or the DUP do will be irrelevant if an explicit no dealer is leader of the Tories or a VONC is the only way to stop no deal.

I understand that.

My post was addressing what MPs would do in a VONC in late July when Boris will be waffling / saying he's looking for a deal.

I don't think Woodcock, let alone Hammond, would vote against at that point.

I fully agree that if there is a VONC in October when we are heading for No Deal then that is of course a completely different story.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Scott_P said:

kinabalu said:

True , I saw several veterans interviewed and they were really sad about Brexit . And a study showed those who actually lived through the war were more pro Remain . The Francois of this world wank off over war movies and and invoke the war spirit, romanticizing the war.

The best honour we could give those d day veterans is to keep united with our European family and say no to the creeping fascism masquerading as patriotism !
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes with Corbyn and his marxist west hating group consigned to history
  • Options

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Far more likely however is a fudge PM, promising unicorns which they will get given a few weeks to find, during which time parliament blocks no deal (the PM will not try to stop parliament doing this and would allow time for it). This would avoid a VONC needing to take place to stop Brexit. The fudge PM can play to the angry Brexiteer narrative, continuing to sow division in the country whilst doing absolutely nothing on Brexit, because they cant and nothing on anything else either, because they spend all their energy on Brexit.

Wonderful.
    I don't see how we would get a fudge PM. Neither Corbyn nor Boris (if it is him) would allow their MPs to vote for anyone else but themselves.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dadge said:

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

afaiaa from past discussions, it doesn't have to be moved/tabled by (the leader of) HM loyal opposition.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dadge said:

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Any MP can move a VONC however only VONCs moved by the Leader of the Opposition have priority over all other business.
    What about ones moved by the Chancellor of the Exchequer?
  • Options

Couldn't agree more. This farce needs to end. What a powerful and moving post, thank-you for sharing your thoughts.
    Thank you. I would hope that, if nothing else, this week has given many a cause to reflect on the unnecessary pain we are living through
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

I understand that.

My post was addressing what MPs would do in a VONC in late July when Boris will be waffling / saying he's looking for a deal.

I don't think Woodcock, let alone Hammond, would vote against at that point.

I fully agree that if there is a VONC in October when we are heading for No Deal then that is of course a completely different story.
    If it is Boris without being close to October he would get given time. He would hope that parliament arranged another extension without his support so he does not have to take responsibility.

Tories voting for their leader should understand the people most likely to Brexit are Gove and Stewart, the harder the brexiteer the less likely it is that it will happen.

How many of the voters get to the point of understanding that will be important. My guess is very few will think it through beyond people dont vote against the party and will completely ignore that they are a minority government. Then they will become more angry that Brexit doesn't happen.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
    I'm imagining that the LD vote will be squeezed as normal, but you're probably right that it's less likely at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

MikeL said:

stodge said:

viewcode said:

Wonderful.
    I don't see how we would get a fudge PM. Neither Corbyn nor Boris (if it is him) would allow their MPs to vote for anyone else but themselves.
    Have the rules of parliamentary democracy been changed? How does Boris stop Hammond voting whichever way Hammond chooses!!?

The fudge PM would most likely be Boris, Hunt & Javid are playing the same game. Raab and Leadsom would be pure no dealers and not have the confidence of the house to be PM in the first place.

Gove is the only realistic chance of delivering Brexit, Stewart would have a better chance in parliament, but it seems extremely unlikely the party would give him a go.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Farage's first MP could be someone who he met only a few weeks ago.

I can see trouble ahead.

Are you referring to the potential "leader" of Brexit Parliamentary Party ? He will indeed be the Brexit spokesperson for the media.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2019

GIN1138 said:

Because this House is unable/incapable of passing any form of Brexit and it's highly likely the new government will be subjected to and lose a VONC. IMO

In which case the PM will want to take matters into their own hands and call an election rather being forced into it by a VONC.
  • Options
    How does that compare with a normal by-election?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

From this week's Popbitch

>> Odds behaviour <<

Bettor the devil you know

Earlier this week, Tory hopeful Jeremy Hunt let slip that he knew Boris Johnson had shorter odds than him at Ladbrokes. It's no surprise that MPs are clued in to the movements on political betting markets (not least because the bookies have sometimes outperformed the pollsters in recent elections) but it's unusual to hear them speak about it so directly. It's supposed to be one of their secret weapons.

In fact, there's a strong rumour going around those in the know that the reason Andrea Leadsom's odds are as short as they is that people in her camp are steadily backing her on Betfair's exchange market in order to manipulate her price. Which would explain why she appears to still be doing so well with none of her colleagues coming out to back her. </p>

That is clearly the case. I would have thought pretty substantial has been put on her. This tactic has been done before. Whether it actually works or not is another matter. Since the electorate currently is only 313, they have pretty good information, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited June 2019
    The interview of veteran Eric Chardin on the BBC was humbling and brought a tear to my eye.

What a truly lovely man and his words on Brexit should shame all those who question the patriotism of those who believe our place is united in Europe .
  • Options
    The picture in the thread header looks like Macron is comforting Theresa at a funeral.
  • Options
    Raab has shown himself to be totally unfit to be PM. His complete disregard for parliamentary democracy is a disgrace and frankly May should withdraw the Whip.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Raab has shown himself to be totally unfit to be PM. His complete disregard for parliamentary democracy is a disgrace and frankly May should withdraw the Whip.

Keep in mind the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 does provide the provision for a government to legally be able to do what Raab is suggesting.

Maybe the Blair government should have thought through the implications of all their constitutional tinkering at the time (they were warned) ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Oh, I've just noticed blockquotes are back to normal!!! :D
  • Options

It would be intriguing to see a parallel universe where May withdrew the whip of a few hardline ERG back in 2017. It would probably be just as chaotic as we are today but just perhaps it might have been seen as a strength and got her deal through.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It sounds high for a by-election to me, though not quite at GE levels. My impression is that BXP started very strongly but Labour has pulled in during the course of the campaign, so high PVs should benefit BXP (and perhaps the LDs) as being closer to their Euro success.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Sounds plausible to me.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

It sounds high for a by-election to me, though not quite at GE levels. My impression is that BXP started very strongly but Labour has pulled in during the course of the campaign, so high PVs should benefit BXP (and perhaps the LDs) as being closer to their Euro success.
    So narrow BXP win on a high turnout seems likely then?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    GIN1138 said:

Seems similar to postal vote returns in the local elections, so I don’t think it’s particularly high. Don’t know about Peterborough specifically but on average at a GE returns are over 80%.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Oh, I've just noticed blockquotes are back to normal!!! :D

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314

Fenster said:

Lost me at automaticity.

A poser's word for guarantee.

Is it....*fans myself frantically*...an Americanism?
    No, it is a term, used by own Ambassadors at the United Nation.

The ambassador for the United Kingdom, the co-sponsor of the resolution, said:

We heard loud and clear during the negotiations the concerns about "automaticity" and "hidden triggers" – the concern that on a decision so crucial we should not rush into military action; that on a decision so crucial any Iraqi violations should be discussed by the Council.

Let me be equally clear in response... There is no "automaticity" in this resolution. If there is a further Iraqi breach of its disarmament obligations, the matter will return to the Council for discussion as required in paragraph 12. We would expect the Security Council then to meet its responsibilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_Resolution_1441
    That doesn't make it acceptable. It is a horribly inelegant use of language.
  • Options
  • Options
    Brexit Party on almost double Labour's vote in the european elections there. Decent Plaid showing too.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Reason #519 why basing your campaign on passing traffic in the centre of a city split in half by constituency boundaries is not an effective strategy;

https://www.twitter.com/peterboroughtel/status/1136646433673764864
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
    I'll go for
    BXP 32
    Lab 28
    Con 19
    LD 12
    Green 5
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Brexit Party on almost double Labour's vote in the european elections there. Decent Plaid showing too.
    People voting to make themselves poorer frankly.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Fenster said:

Lost me at automaticity.

We heard loud and clear during the negotiations the concerns about "automaticity" and "hidden triggers" – the concern that on a decision so crucial we should not rush into military action; that on a decision so crucial any Iraqi violations should be discussed by the Council.

Let me be equally clear in response... There is no "automaticity" in this resolution. If there is a further Iraqi breach of its disarmament obligations, the matter will return to the Council for discussion as required in paragraph 12. We would expect the Security Council then to meet its responsibilities.

Lawyers' language.
    Not the same thing as English.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544
    rcs1000 said:

Here's the question:

Several are at an age where political careers are at an end, and knew it when they quit their parties, some of the others such as Heidi, Sarah and Chuka have potential for other careers. They get a decent payoff if losing a seat at an election. By and large they have little to fear from a GE. They will vote against in a VONC of an arch Brexiteer.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    A few outsiders have been nibbled at today as next PM, including a Mr J Corbyn.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fenster said:

Lost me at automaticity.

Lawyers' language.
    In a forthcoming thread I'm using the phrase 'estoppel by convention'
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Curiously Warren is connecting even with some of the loonier Fox News hosts:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/05/tucker-carlson-elizabeth-warren-donald-trump-1355871

I think she will eat into Saunders' support.

I also get the feeling that Biden's inevitability is a little brittle. He's rightly the strong favourite for the nomination, but I don't think he's impregnable, and if one or more of his opponents can score off him in the debates this month, it could get interesting.
    I've been laying him a bit recently, having got on him at much longer odds.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,544

Pulpstar said:

People voting to make themselves poorer frankly.
    Perhaps just voting to make their kids and their neighbours poorer. Only a small percentage of the voters could work at the plant.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Fenster said:

Lost me at automaticity.

Lawyers' language.
    Is that a promissory commitment ?
  • Options
    Artist said:

rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
    I'll go for
    BXP 32
    Lab 28
    Con 19
    LD 12
    Green 5
    And mine:
    BXP 40
    Lab 25
    LD 20
    Con 10
    Rest 5
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/05/tucker-carlson-elizabeth-warren-donald-trump-1355871

I also get the feeling that Biden's inevitability is a little brittle. He's rightly the strong favourite for the nomination, but I don't think he's impregnable, and if one or more of his opponents can score off him in the debates this month, it could get interesting.
    Warren is definitely one to keep onside at current prices.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Despite Ford saying today it would have closed brexit or no brexit
  • Options

Artist said:

rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

Here's mind:

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3
    I'll go for
    BXP 32
    Lab 28
    Con 19
    LD 12
    Green 5
    And mine:
    BXP 40
    Lab 25
    LD 20
    Con 10
    Rest 5
    Here's mine
    BXP 42
    Lab 22
    LD 18
    Con 9
    Green 6
    Rest 3
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    It is just as well that the Chukkers didn't stand in the by-election. There would have been a 50-50 chance that their candidate would have quit the party before polling day.

On the Chukker theme, it must be a first for MPs to resign from 2 parties in the such a short space of time.

Will the new Brexit Party MP be squeezing in next to Heidi et al on the odds and sods bench? Or will be be thigh-by-thigh with Raaaab and the other Tory loons?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    She looks like Hilary v2 to me. Hilary supposedly had lots of detailed policies but struggled to communicate them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    She looks like Hilary v2 to me. Hilary supposedly had lots of detailed policies but struggled to communicate them.
    I don't remember Tucker Carlson saying anything even vaguely positive about Hillary, ever.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That'll be the Tory ruse for delaying the Oct 31 deadline next time round, "negotiating" with Brussels even though it'll be nothing of the sort.

Perhaps a negotiation of the political declaration will be accomodated by Brussels. It gives Boris or whoever a bit of something to look like he is getting somewhere even though he isn't and they always want to extend to keep our fees coming in.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Here's mine

BXP 42
    Lab 26
    Con 12
    LD 13
    Green 3

Wow. That would be something.

I'm going to try and make a name for myself by going to the other side of the stage.

Labour hold.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What's this? A sliver of light in the Brexit gloom?

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1136592344512376832
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779

Nigelb said:

Fenster said:

Lost me at automaticity.

Lawyers' language.
    The law of estoppel does not apply to politicians, at least according to those that support Boris.
  • Options
    If BXP were to win tonight's Peterborough by-election how do we think its MP would vote in a VONC brought about by defecting Remainers?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    Hillary wasn't ever 13-1 for the nomination though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

I agree.
    Hillary wasn't ever 13-1 for the nomination though.
    Exactly. A decent debate or two and that comes in I think.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll answer that for him. No, not with Corbyn in charge.

You have the 'gift'.

Although he did put it a touch more forcefully.
This discussion has been closed.