Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It was exactly two years ago that Brexit, if it happens, inexo

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

No - never ever taken drugs and virtually TT but being married to a Scot with lots of Scottish relatives we want to keep the Union. Ruth is the champion of Unionism

If Nicola was pro Union she would get our support as indeed many years ago when we lived in Scotland we did vote SNP on occasions

Imagine integration.
    It certainly would not in the case of England and Wales both of which voted Leave
    In the context of the United Kingdom! Where would the break up of the UK leave the "island nation" emotion that drove Brexit?
    We wo

Big gamble. But as I say, all ways are gambles, from here.
    "Enrland.
    What a load oce, as Britons.
    While you ended that with reference to us as Britons, the 'England has always been different. We are an island' juxtaposition looks, er, interesting.
    Dullard. I said, as of now, without a vote for Scots indy, we are Britons. Simply a fact, After such a vote (which is possible, not not probable, let alone certain) we will be "the English".

I was a longtime lurker here. I am sure the IQ level was higher, back in the day. FFS.
    If you wish to call people dullards then don't follow a sentence saying England is different with one saying 'we' are an island. That you object to being made fun of for what is at best an awkwardly placed sentence with an easy unintended intepretation is your problem. Either take more care with what you meant or don't get so prissy about it.

That you reached for the insults when I merely said it was an interesting choice of words speaks volumes I should think. Everyone loses their rag occasionally, myself being no exception, but getting all aggressive and pouty because your sentence structuring was silly is not even funny, it's just lame.

And I am sure my IQ, whatever it is, is as low as it ever was. Fortunately I don't mind if I appear silly while writing extemperaneously on an intenet forum.
    Night night, person that writes "extemperaneously on an intenet forum."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,179
    HYUFD said:
    Why? Pls someone explain what has happened here.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717
    HYUFD said:
    If £500m to the Irish would solve this mess it would be worth paying at this point. Sadly even if that is viable I fear the politics the Irish and the EU have tied themselves to on this point would stymie it.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Think Gove's done for.

So where do he and his supporters go?

I would suggest not Boris.

Hunt back in the running? Yippeee!!!
    Hunt has tonight also been identified in news reports as having taken cannabis while backpacking in India
    At this rate Boris is home and dry because all the other substance-addled candidates have had to drop out due to their spurious back-stories. Thank goodness Boris's cupboards are skeleton -free.
    Everyone expects skeletons with Boris though and he has the charisma the others lack to brush them off
    So if a politician has indulged in some heinous crime, it won't count if he/she can bat it away with a spot of latin. Cool!
    And faux churchillian ramblings! They are an important part of the package.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

No - never ever taken drugs and virtually TT but being married to a Scot with lots of Scottish relatives we want to keep the Union. Ruth is the champion of Unionism

If Nicola was pro Union she would get our support as indeed many years ago when we lived in Scotland we did vote SNP on occasions

Imagine integration.
    It certainly would not in the case of England and Wales both of which voted Leave
    In the context of the United Kingdom! Where would the break up of the UK leave the "island nation" emotion that drove Brexit?
    We wo

"Enrland.
    While you ended that with reference to us as Britons, the 'England has always been different. We are an island' juxtaposition looks, er, interesting.
    Dullard. I said, as of now, without a vote for Scots indy, we are Britons. Simply a fact, After such a vote (which is possible, not not probable, let alone certain) we will be "the English".

I was a longtime lurker here. I am sure the IQ level was higher, back in the day. FFS.
    If you wish to call people dullards then don't follow a sentence saying England is different with one saying 'we' are an island. That you object to being made fun of for what is at best an awkwardly placed sentence with an easy unintended intepretation is your problem. Either take more care with what you meant or don't get so prissy about it.

That you reached for the insults when I merely said it was an interesting choice of words speaks volumes I should think. Everyone loses their rag occasionally, myself being no exception, but getting all aggressive and pouty because your sentence structuring was silly is not even funny, it's just lame.

And I am sure my IQ, whatever it is, is as low as it ever was. Fortunately I don't mind if I appear silly while writing extemperaneously on an intenet forum.
    Well now I am just confused, before I go I have to ask what exactly did I do to object to this time?

Edit: Was it that I wrote 'extemperaneously'? It's a fun word, and I don't know about you but with the need to be concise and simple in professional life I don't get to use fun words very often.
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129

Byronic said:

Fascinating to watch so many knives, and so many backs, and so many stabbings - in one political party.
    It is Game of Thrones for ex Young Conservatives.
    Are they ex Young Conservatives because they've aged and become old Conservatives, or because they've all now defected to the Brexit Party and Lib Dems?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,697
    dixiedean said:

So this War on Drugs really always was a war on poor people and drugs then?

Yup. Posh Rich Brits Don't Get Arrested.
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    Christ, is that designed to harm Javid? "Give the Irish four bob and they'll be happy, they're only used to farthings"

Next he'll be offering them Really Healthy Potatoes.

The tone-deafness of the Tories, vis-a-vis Ireland, has really been something to witness. Incredible. Wasn't it P Patel who said we could STARVE them into submission, with Irish Sea tariffs?

Help.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine integration.
    We wo

"Enrland.

Well now I am just confused, before I go I have to ask what exactly did I do to object to this time?
    Well, for a start, you just used the word "to" three times in one sentence. UNNECESSARILY.
  • Options
    Telegraph:

"In 2007, Boris Johnson, the frontrunner to become Tory leader, admitted to GQ magazine that he had tried cocaine and cannabis as a teenager at Oxford. "I tried it at university and I remember it vividly. And it achieved no pharmacological, psychotropic or any other effect on me whatsoever."

As Withnail would probably say: change your dealer Boris, change your dealer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Personally I'm a fan of the word 'tergiversation', but I don't think I've encountered a single situation I could use it naturally.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:
    Javid is I believe the only top Tory leadership contender not to have yet admitted taking drugs if others start to fall by the wayside
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine integration.
    We wo

"Enrland.

If yo

Edit: Was it that I wrote 'extemperaneously'? It's a fun word, and I don't know about you but with the need to be concise and simple in professional life I don't get to use fun words very often.
    Fair enough. I am just BANTERING. God speed and good night. I shall retire, myself.

May the blessings of dreamless sleep rain like rose-petals on all commenters.
  • Options
    Talking of drugs...

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1137396366781689856

Weird, but kids in military are exempt if I have read this right
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine integration.
    We wo

"Enrland.

If yo

That y.

Well, for a start, you just used the word "to" three times in one sentence. UNNECESSARILY.
    Given I have been known to write single sentences that last over 100 words via, shall we say, unconventional usage of commas, hyphens and parentheses, I doubt that will be the worst example of written english within my posts. Please consider it a quirk as otherwise the sight of some of my stylings or outright errors may prove a bit much to handle! For PB, I toss the thoughts onto the screen as they emerge without overthinking it, or, some might say, thinking it in the first place.

And now I really do need to sleep.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

"The MP for a primary school facing demonstrations over LGBT equality teaching has been criticised by party colleagues after telling campaigners "you're right".

In a video circulated on social media, Roger Godsiff, MP for Birmingham Hall Green, also told protesters they had a "just cause"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48569173

"Labour's appalling agenda, encouraging the teaching of homosexuality in schools, and all the rest of it."
    - Boris, in The Spectator, 15 April 2000
    The Spectator archive is very useful. It goes back to 1863 or thereabouts IIRC. The Times used to have a similar free archive until about 5 years ago when they put it behind a paywall.
    Conservatives didn't used to support teaching homosexuality in schools. Then they realised it put them on the same side as Muslims. Now they believe that homosexuality teaching in schools is a true sign of Britishness.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,005
    They've got the centrist metropolitan vote in the bag. Just the selectorate, the membership and Conhome to convince
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine if England, Scotland, Wales and a united Ireland were members of the European Union in their own right. The positive kind of unionism you represent could instead be channelled into support for European integration.
    Not now! We in Wales are now Remainers. Check the polling!
    No you are not, Wales voted Brexit Party just last month, exactly like England did
    Once again you manipulate polling evidence to suit your agenda. The Brexit Party got a higher percentage of votes compared to any other party. Leave parties did not win a majority.
    The Brexit Party and UKIP and Tories combined got a higher voteshare in Wales than the pro Remain LDs, Greens and Plaid combined
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Javid is I believe the only top Tory leadership contender not to have yet admitted taking drugs if others start to fall by the wayside
    The only candidate not to inhale staggers across the battlefield, broken but victorious.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

Boris has got this. For shurrrrrrre

The two people who need to be fearful of Boris winning are Farage and Corbyn

Just about the only candidate that can reasonable be able to take votes of both

That implies Johnson is in pole position simply because he is seen as the candidate to save the Conservative Party as opposed to the candidate who can save the country. Desperate days!
    That is precisely what is going out party management not what can be done for the country.
    Saving the Tory party = saving the country is not an entirely ludicrous position, when the Opposition is led by Jeremy Corbyn, Seamus Milne and John McDonnell, and other assorted Stalinists, anti-Semites, Marxists, Islamists, traitors, racists, IRA-lovers, and Jew-baiters.
    Except saving the Tory party can mean many things. It could mean merely staving off a total collapse in the face of the LDs and BXP, while still meaning they lose the election, if not to Labour outright then to enable Labour to win most seats and put together a majority.

So even on their own terms saving the party may not save the country. Boris may be able to limit the damage in that regard, and HYUFD is awfully excited by polls as ever, but it would be a risky gamble following what would need to be his failure to get a deal, as his stated preference, and possibly having some of his own MPs vote against him in a VONC, to assume the numbers suggesting he would retain most seats are guaranteed.
    Not just most seats, Boris gets a majority with YouGov and it is then Labour with the crisis not the Tories as against a Boris led Tories Labour can only tie the LDs
    As ever you ignored (rather than simply disagreed with) my opinion (and yes it is only an opinion) that the polling suggesting he would get a majority (or most seats, the point remains the same) would not manifest in a circumstance where he has to call a snap GE because he failed in what he claims is his primary aim, and facing possible defections from his own party as a result of seeking no deal. 'I failed in what I said would be easy, now back my plan B' is not necessarily as strong a pitch as you think it is.

Most Tory and Brexit Party voters want to leave the EU now, Deal or no Deal, by the next general election so on that basis it is
  • Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

"The MP for a primary school facing demonstrations over LGBT equality teaching has been criticised by party colleagues after telling campaigners "you're right".

In a video circulated on social media, Roger Godsiff, MP for Birmingham Hall Green, also told protesters they had a "just cause"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-48569173

"Labour's appalling agenda, encouraging the teaching of homosexuality in schools, and all the rest of it."
    - Boris, in The Spectator, 15 April 2000
    The Spectator archive is very useful. It goes back to 1863 or thereabouts IIRC. The Times used to have a similar free archive until about 5 years ago when they put it behind a paywall.
    Conservatives didn't used to support teaching homosexuality in schools. Then they realised it put them on the same side as Muslims. Now they believe that homosexuality teaching in schools is a true sign of Britishness.
    And. Quite remarkably, we are still only talking about discussing why it may be wrong to bully people because they are a little bit different.
    Plus ca change.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Someone needs to stand up for the values of Islam in the Tory Party. While all others flee towards apostasy.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

That implies Johnson is in pole position simply because he is seen as the candidate to save the Conservative Party as opposed to the candidate who can save the country. Desperate days!
    That is precisely what is going on. Some MPs have apparently even admitted, priviately, the saving the party issue is their only reason for backing him. Of course, we all expect politicians to equate what is good for their party obviously being what is good for the country, but given the problems in the party delivering what Johnson and co are promising, and thus they may not genuinely think they can do it, it truly is about party management not what can be done for the country.
    When the other potential PM is Corbyn, or God forbid Farage I think saving the Tories should be high up a leader's priority list.
    There's no Tony Blair (pre war) LOTO on the other side.
    Unless people are resigned to the Tories being out of power forever then a spell in opposition even under Corbyn, who is very crap, would perhaps be a necessary price for a more positive Brexit outcome. They've had 9 years, which is not a bad run, and Brexit is so divisive it feels like it would be a miracle for a governing party to retain power after it is resolved, one way or another. In which case achieving the best outcome for the country is not pandering to the Tory membership, given most Tory MPs for years have indicated they think no deal is worse than a deal, and therefore no deal is worse for the country even though it is better for the party.
    I wouldn't worry, "No deal" can't be got through parliament. And Bercow will make sure parliament is heard on the matter.
    I am really not sure that is true. And even if it is true, then I think a Prime Minister Johnson would call a General Election on Who Decides Brexit. The Voters Or the Elite and I think he would win, pretty big, maybe very big, against a havering yet eurosceptic Corbyn.
    Who governs Britain. Brilliant.

How did that work out last time that was tried?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

That is precisely what is going on. Some MPs have apparently even admitted, priviately, the saving the party issue is their only reason for backing him. Of course, we all expect politicians to equate what is good for their party obviously being what is good for the country, but given the problems in the party delivering what Johnson and co are promising, and thus they may not genuinely think they can do it, it truly is about party management not what can be done for the country.
    When the other potential PM is Corbyn, or God forbid Farage I think saving the Tories should be high up a leader's priority list.
    Unless people are resigned to the Tories being out of power forever then a spell in opposition even under Corbyn, who is very crap, would perhaps be a necessary price for a more positive Brexit outcome. They've had 9 years, which is not a bad run, and Brexit is so divisive it feels like it would be a miracle for a governing party to retain power after it is resolved, one way or another. In which case achieving the best outcome for the country is not pandering to the Tory membership, given most Tory MPs for years have indicated they think no deal is worse than a deal, and therefore no deal is worse for the country even though it is better for the party.
    I wouldn't worry, "No deal" can't be got through parliament. And Bercow will make sure parliament is heard on the matter.
    I am really not sure that is true. And even if it is true, then I think a Prime Minister Johnson would call a General Election on Who Decides Brexit. The Voters Or the Elite and I think he would win, pretty big, maybe very big, against a havering yet eurosceptic Corbyn.

A hung parliament and 5 years later Margaret Thatcher to finish the job.

However Boris is far more charismatic than Heath and the question would be about the current Commons blocking Brexit not who is best to take on and control the unions
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    4 more endorsements would mean two-thirds of Tory MPs have publicly backed one of the candidates, which is more than I was expecting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2019
    rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

orse for the country even though it is better for the party.

A possible explanation for the result last time is that a lot of people who liked Corbyn in their hearts but not their heads so-to-speak voted for him safe in the knowledge he couldn't possibly win as evidenced by most of the polls during the campaign. They would therefore have been surprised at how close he got to being able to cobble together a rainbow coalition; that scenario probably won't happen again. In a way, the opposite might well have happened to Ed Miliband in 2015: precisely because a lot of people thought he might be able to win, he did badly.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,697
    HYUFD said:
    Has Ruth got purple hair in that picture or is it a trick of the light?

• Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

Byronic said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

orse for the country even though it is better for the party.

A possible explanation for the result last time is that a lot of people who liked Corbyn in their hearts but not their heads so-to-speak voted for him safe in the knowledge he couldn't possibly win as evidenced by most of the polls during the campaign. They would therefore have been surprised at how close he got to being able to cobble together a rainbow coalition; that scenario probably won't happen again. In a way, the opposite might well have happened to Ed Miliband in 2015: precisely because a lot of people thought he might be able to win, he did badly.
    I was thinking of 1974. Heath called an election on the "who governs Britain?" premise.

Not you, said the voters.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    I have to say I'd be quite terrified of a brexit election pitting Boris+Farage against Corbyn+Swinson. Boris and Farage are both ruthless, audacious and good at controlling the media. Whereas Corybn isn't very good, and there's no evidence Swinson packs a punch.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2019

I have to say I'd be quite terrified of a brexit election pitting Boris+Farage against Corbyn+Swinson. Boris and Farage are both ruthless, audacious and good at controlling the media. Whereas Corybn isn't very good, and there's no evidence Swinson packs a punch.

The media, as in the papers, only really gives you the over 50's. The kinds of media the under 50's use are less Boris and Farage friendly.

Corbyn is at his best campaigning, as we saw last time.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited June 2019

He lost to Theresa May. He's not very good.

He only got away with it because expectations were even lower than his performance.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Ah, so the Sunday drugs hit piece was on Gove, even if the actual story looks a little thin behind the headline. I’ve a feeling this campaign is about to turn nasty.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited June 2019

He lost to Theresa May. He's not very good.

He only got away with it because expectations were even lower than his performance.
    Do you believe everyone voted in the general election on the basis of performance in the election campaign?

It seems like a flawed hypothesis.

I might suggest a better way to assess campaigning performance might be the change from the beginning of the campaign to the end. In fairness part of that was simply Labour being able to get its message out in a way it can't outside of a GE.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    Sandpit said:

Ah, so the Sunday drugs hit piece was on Gove, even if the actual story looks a little thin behind the headline. I’ve a feeling this campaign is about to turn nasty.

A nasty campaign for the leadership of the Nasty Party (TM).

Who’d a thunk it?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,253
    New Thread
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,842
This discussion has been closed.