Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The idea that BoJo has some magical means of reaching LAB or p

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Leadsom!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,771
    6pm is the deadline? I'm off the clock. The lovely Penny has derelicted her duty and left the field open for the sad, the mad and the bad. Who made it in time and who didn't?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

So Boris has Bridgen and Francois on his side...

Makes my vote even easier - if I get the chance.

Was it ever a difficult choice? I suppose for me it makes it less likely I will spoil my ballot, provided Hunt is the alternative. Francois is scum. The tragic embodiment of what the Tory Party has become.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    nico67 said:

Bridgen and Francois ! Good grief .
    I wonder what promises they have extricated out of BoJO.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Harper tumbles to 360
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    Rory makes the first hurdle! Excellent.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338
    Which Con MP is going to be first to defect to the LIbDems when Boris wins?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123
    So 17 down to 10 already....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Gove Eustace Morgan
    Hancock Green Crouch
    Harper Doyle-Price Double
    Hunt Fox Mcloughlin
    Javid Halfon Atkins
    Johnson Truss Wallace
    Leadsom Heaton-Harris Wheeler
    Mcvey Streeter Bradley
    Raab Davis Miller
    Stewart Gauke Prentis
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    I'm glad they moved the goal posts halfway through - would be ridiculous to have 10 candidates

Wait, hang on...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435

https://twitter.com/hancock4leader/status/1138130064367861760
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BBC News at Six miss the announcement ..... Oooppps
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    C'mon guys, stick some dosh on Esther, I've got a position to sell but not at current odds!
  • Options

Was it ever a difficult choice? I suppose for me it makes it less likely I will spoil my ballot, provided Hunt is the alternative. Francois is scum. The tragic embodiment of what the Tory Party has become.
    Well said, although possibly rather insulting to scum everywhere
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Not exactly up there with the ones who could have replaced Wilson. Healey, Callaghan, Williams, Crosland, Castle etc etc.

Incredible how few big political beasts are around these days.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    So, who will get the wooden spoon for the first ballot? I know nothing of Harper but he did well enough to get on the ballot, but maybe between him and Stewart? As surely Leadsom can get more than them given her previous showing, and McVey should be able to get some spartans in the first round.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Well said, although possibly rather insulting to scum everywhere
    Can’t we tell Putin that Francois insulted his mother !
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Ten candidates confirmed
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296

I'm glad they moved the goal posts halfway through - would be ridiculous to have 10 candidates

Wait, hang on...

I must say that I am surprised how little whittling has been achieved.
  • Options

Winning back LDs and BXP voters? What a great policy, and so simple to achieve too.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

IanB2 said:

BBC claims some MPs have said they are voting tactically at the first stage to get more candidates in the field

I mean, why should Ma Beckett be the only one who can have some fun doing that?
    Although in this instance the comedy candidate is already topping the nominations.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Borough, who'd be a politician? The pay is lower than for many other jobs, the media intensity is massive and usually unfair, and there's an off-chance a psycho with a knife, gun, or petrol bomb will deliberately target you.

I maintain that the media is the cause of much of the decline of politics, with a fixation on scalps, splits, and sensationalism, of personality over substance, and subjecting politicians to microscopic scrutiny whilst barely glancing at legislation.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980

Not exactly up there with the ones who could have replaced Wilson. Healey, Callaghan, Williams, Crosland, Castle etc etc.

Incredible how few big political beasts are around these days.

Hardly, 24 hour news and social media means who in their right minds wants to be a politician. There are far easier ways to make money and / or change the world.
  • Options
    The Tory leadership is like seeing the end of a film and then having to sit through the whole thing .

Can’t we just fast forward to the bit when the EU tell Bozo to get lost .
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Where is Sir Graham Brady Old Lady?

He is the man for our times!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The Tory leadership is like seeing the end of a film and then having to sit through the whole thing .

Dude, spoiler alert!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,061
    kle4 said:

Winning back LDs and BXP voters? What a great policy, and so simple to achieve too.
    It’s easy. You just need a time machine to go back to 2015.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817

C'mon guys, stick some dosh on Esther, I've got a position to sell but not at current odds!

#AveIt4Esther is in full swing now. :D
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Leadsom!

Awful woman.

But, she is a mother.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204

Mr. Borough, who'd be a politician? The pay is lower than for many other jobs, the media intensity is massive and usually unfair, and there's an off-chance a psycho with a knife, gun, or petrol bomb will deliberately target you.

I maintain that the media is the cause of much of the decline of politics, with a fixation on scalps, splits, and sensationalism, of personality over substance, and subjecting politicians to microscopic scrutiny whilst barely glancing at legislation.

Roger that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    AndyJS said:
    The absolute effrontery to put that clown infront of Churchill. :lol:

Everything the man does has is saturated with unintended comedy.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    nico67 said:

The whole Brexit saga is like watching the same film over and over again. For ever.
  • Options
    If I were an MP I'd vote for whoever I thought would get the lowest number of votes, in an attempt to keep the high number of candidates in place as long as possible.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    Xtrain said:

Greening
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Gove Eustace Morgan
    Hancock Green Crouch
    Harper Doyle-Price Double
    Hunt Fox Mcloughlin
    Javid Halfon Atkins
    Johnson Truss Wallace
    Leadsom Heaton-Harris Wheeler
    Mcvey Streeter Bradley
    Raab Davis Miller
    Stewart Gauke Prentis

I wonder what Truss has been promised...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

#AveIt4Esther is in full swing now. :D
    I prefer #AveItIn4Esther

Dreadfully awful candidate ....
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If I were an MP I'd vote for whoever I thought would get the lowest number of votes, in an attempt to keep the high number of candidates in place as long as possible.

That's no good if the lowest doesn't meet the 5% threshold in round 1 or the 10% threshold in round 2.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Seems silly that round 1 won't be until Thursday.
  • Options

Mr. Borough, who'd be a politician? The pay is lower than for many other jobs...

...but it's considerably greater than most other jobs, the expenses, pension and exit payoffs are much better, the performance criteria are damn nearly nonexistent, the entry qualifications are far lower, and you get to break the law with impunity.

• Options
    Hang on Liz... higher rate is currently paid by about the top 10-12pc of earners, which would fall to about the top 5pc under Boris’s plan (based on ONS tables of earning centiles). If the suggestion is that earning over £50k is fairly average - especially *that much over* that a marginal increase in tax rates makes a big difference - Bojo and chums want to be very careful how that plays out among working class Brexit fans a long way from London.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1138117706379644933?s=20

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782765/NS_Table_3_1a_1617.xlsx
  • Options
    Top analysis from Fallon: “We have a wide choice but I think only two or three will make it to the later rounds.”
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

That's no good if the lowest doesn't meet the 5% threshold in round 1 or the 10% threshold in round 2.
    Sure you cannot guarantee that, but you're giving them a shot at least, and it'd be funny for no one to be elimated in the first round.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,302
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

It is not just 2008 and 2012 that Boris led successful campaigns.

He also successfully led 2016 too.

You mean when he was effectively working for Mr. Putin.
    And effectively working against Cameron, Labour [officially], the IMF, most trade unions, most business lobbies, Obama and more.

Yet Boris won, defeating Cameron, Obama etc - that surely is more evidence that he can win than in one constituency a swing of 6.5 vs a swing of 6.2
    We get it. There is a strong market for unicorns and it is entirely likely that unicorn demand has not diminished over the past n years. They are still unicorns, however. And no more attainable now than they have been in the past.

But if we're choosing I will go for a sugar pink and lime green one please.
    I never had you down as a Garrick member!
    LOL.You were right!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,294
    Saddened that I can no longer sing:

Gyimah all your Govin'
    All your hugs and kisses too
    Gyimah all your Govin'
    Don't let up until we're through

:(
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Will both the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition be a Jeremy ....

Liberals there first with Thorpe .... Not a happy thought for the Hunt and Corbyn dogs !! .... :worried:
  • Options
    Fenman said:

Xtrain said:

Greening
    Greening could have more influence on the outcome by defecting before the contest starts. It would only take a few defections to confirm that the winner will not be PM.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204
    kle4 said:

That's why I said he should provide the names he thought he had. Otherwise who will know if he was lying or not and is just saving face now.

It should be no hardship to do that.

My sense about Sam is 'man on the make'. Not keen TBH.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    TGOHF said:
    I am pretty sure that Substantive doesn't mean what Mr Shipman appears to believe it means.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Viewcode, job security is low, though.

Mr. Chris, ha, you make it sound like the infamous PT playable demo.

For those unaware, PT was a demo for a game that got axed (and has kind of come back as Death Stranding) whereby the player wanders through a house, and then finds himself returned to the beginning. That sounds very straightforward, but it frightened most who played it and absolutely terrified some people.

Little changes occur, which step by step make things horrifying.

Anyway, I must be off. Be nice, everyone.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

It is to allow two days of hustings so MPs can find out which candidates are in favour of delivering Brexit, uniting the party and winning back voters.
  • Options

Hang on Liz... higher rate is currently paid by about the top 10-12pc of earners, which would fall to about the top 5pc under Boris’s plan (based on ONS tables of earning centiles). If the suggestion is that earning over £50k is fairly average - especially *that much over* that a marginal increase in tax rates makes a big difference - Bojo and chums want to be very careful how that plays out among working class Brexit fans a long way from London.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782765/NS_Table_3_1a_1617.xlsx

It's worked ok for Trump.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Job security is low in most jobs nowadays.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Do we know Andrea Leadsom's 6 backers on the nomination form?
  • Options
    I think I heard Laura K say that Liddington is backing Hancock.
  • Options

Looking at that list I'm in the top 3% of earners - eek

I can see how it will be attractive to 9% of all voters but how many of them don't already vote Tory (or would have done before Brexit scared them to the Lib Dems).

• Options

It is to allow two days of hustings so MPs can find out which candidates are in favour of delivering Brexit, uniting the party and winning back voters.
    Mad respect for any of them bold enough to say they don't want to do any of those things.
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    I am pretty sure that Substantive doesn't mean what Mr Shipman appears to believe it means.
    As to substance?!
    JackW said:

Will both the Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition be a Jeremy ....

Liberals there first with Thorpe .... Not a happy thought for the Hunt and Corbyn dogs !! .... :worried:

Both the PM and the LotO could also be *unts
  • Options

Top analysis from Fallon: “We have a wide choice but I think only two or three will make it to the later rounds.”

The man is a complete thickie
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I think I heard Laura K say that Liddington is backing Hancock.

Correct.
  • Options

Why isn't he standing for the leadership?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Well she didn't damage George Osborne, will she damage Boris?

Might explain why Boris the coward has been hiding.

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1137765119373578247
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If so, why isn't he standing for the leadership?
    😂
  • Options
    eek said:

I can see how it will be attractive to 9% of all voters but how many of them don't already vote Tory (or would have done before Brexit scared them to the Lib Dems).

And that’s the thing. We’ve been conditioned to believe higher rate is a slightly aspirational but highly achievable “middle class” state of affairs. I’m hovering at the lower edge after 20+ years in relatively senior jobs, and I’d be pretty shocked if someone felt I should be taken out of that band by a margin of £30k.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Why isn't he standing for the leadership?
    Hancock cornered the market.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

No because we're all enjoying it so much.
  • Options

Not really. You have an excellent chance of keeping it for decades and (omitting by-elections) you get to keep it for 4-5years. I change jobs every 4-8 years (it's the only way to get cross-training) and I get assessed every six months, so I'm not oversympathetic to those in secure employment where the only performance criterion is not to soil oneself.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,294

Yes, cannabis is dangerous, but no more than other perfectly legal drugs. It's time for a rethink, and the Tory party - the funkiest, most jiving party on Earth - is where it's happening.
    - Boris, 2001.
  • Options
    eek said:

The Brexit fans are not the immediate selectorate. But Brexiteers like rich becoming richer because they "deserve" it. Proof: look at the morons who voted Trump and still many of them will vote today.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The we can get back to discussing Brexit every day, as usual.
  • Options

It would not shock me if this were true, but is it wise to repost it here?
  • Options
    I think it’s clear the print media in general aswell as the BBC and Sky want Bozo as PM .

He’s likely to get a much easier ride because they’re hoping for a constant stream of drama to report on .

• Options
    I wonder who Dominic Grieve and Phillip Lee will vote for now that their preferred candidate is out of the race.
  • Options
    Curiouser and curiouser, the Leadsom price heads out to 12/12.5 immediately after she makes the cut - longest it's been for ages.
  • Options

It is theoretically possible. If the combined votes of 4th to 10th is fewer than the 3rd placed, then 4th to 10th drop out.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I wonder who Dominic Grieve and Phillip Lee will vote for now that their preferred candidate is out of the race.

I'd have thought Rory is closest, though they should really try and reconcile themselves to the deal.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Ed Davey?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Rory Stewart I would have thought . They won’t however be Tories for long . I expect they’ll be resigning the whip soon and sit as independents .
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I think we'll be down to 4 or 5 candidates after Thursday's vote.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

How likely is it that both will be resigning the Tory Whip in the event of Johnson being elected?
  • Options
    What's the big difference(s) between Ed Davey and Jo Swinson policy wise ?
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898

Would make a good scoop for The Evening Standard to expose any foibles in Boris's past. I wonder if the editor knows anything about Boris and if he would want to shaft his previous colleague. Surely not.

Would make sense to wait until Boris is almost through to the last 2 to cause maximum chaos/impact (delete to taste)
  • Options
    Just seen the charming gentleman at EMcV's event earlier - hard to imagine he's an extreme Brexit supporter, as he doesn't fit the stereotype of stupid, fat, ugly, ignorant, boorish dickwad in the slightest...
  • Options

The great thing about a twitter link is that as soon as the original poster deletes it, it disappears from here as well.

The crime would be to repeat the accusation in the the text you write yourself.
  • Options

It is theoretically possible. If the combined votes of 4th to 10th is fewer than the 3rd placed, then 4th to 10th drop out.
    Only having a few left in later rounds is rather more than a possibility.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

How likely is it that both will be resigning the Tory Whip in the event of Johnson being elected?
    Quite likely in my opinion.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,123

kle4 said:

Going back to 2016 and not electing May would do it.....
  • Options
    eek said:

The great thing about a twitter link is that as soon as the original poster deletes it, it disappears from here as well.

The crime would be to repeat the accusation in the the text you write yourself.
    Ah ok. Fair enough.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    eek said:

I am slumming it in the top 4% - which makes you a cosseted elitist while I am a down to earth man of the people.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Would make a good scoop for The Evening Standard to expose any foibles in Boris's past. I wonder if the editor knows anything about Boris and if he would want to shaft his previous colleague. Surely not.

Would make sense to wait until Boris is almost through to the last 2 to cause maximum chaos/impact (delete to taste)
    Why wait until he's almost through - if you have the ammo to destroy him do it when the option is him and A.N. Other...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Going back to 2016 and not electing May would do it.....
    How would an alternative leader have done better?
  • Options

eek said:

I am slumming it in the top 4% - which makes you a cosseted elitist while I am a down to earth man of the people.
    23% here. Absolubte poverty by pb.com standards.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    An engaged couple say their wedding plans have been scuppered by changes to next year's early May bank holiday.

May Day is traditionally held on a Monday, but will be put back to Friday, 8 May in 2020 to accommodate the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

But Simon Aherne and Anna Cousins, from Cardiff, say the lack of notice has left their plans in tatters as most guests will be unable to attend.

The UK government said it made the decision "as soon as practicable".

Mr Aherne, a teacher and part-time DJ, and PR professional Ms Cousins were due to get married at Kingscote Barn in Gloucestershire on Sunday, 3 May - the day before the traditional bank holiday Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48575410
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

eek said:

And that’s the thing. We’ve been conditioned to believe higher rate is a slightly aspirational but highly achievable “middle class” state of affairs. I’m hovering at the lower edge after 20+ years in relatively senior jobs, and I’d be pretty shocked if someone felt I should be taken out of that band by a margin of £30k.
    It’s a consequence of politicians hanging around professionals in and around London, where jobs paying £40-50k elsewhere in the country can often be £70-80k. They think that a lot more people earn £70-80k than is actually the case.

A better policy would be something like an income tax break for seasonal transport tickets, there’s a lot of people having to earn something like £7k just to get to work given the 40% rate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

23% here. Absolubte poverty by pb.com standards.
    32%. Blimey, other people are much poorer than I realise!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Natalie Rowe’s twitter feed is very, umm, interesting.
This discussion has been closed.