Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The idea that BoJo has some magical means of reaching LAB or p

123457»

Comments

• Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712

An engaged couple say their wedding plans have been scuppered by changes to next year's early May bank holiday.

May Day is traditionally held on a Monday, but will be put back to Friday, 8 May in 2020 to accommodate the 75th anniversary of VE Day.

But Simon Aherne and Anna Cousins, from Cardiff, say the lack of notice has left their plans in tatters as most guests will be unable to attend.

The UK government said it made the decision "as soon as practicable".

Mr Aherne, a teacher and part-time DJ, and PR professional Ms Cousins were due to get married at Kingscote Barn in Gloucestershire on Sunday, 3 May - the day before the traditional bank holiday Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48575410

#SundayWeddingW@nkers
    #BankHolBullies
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Mark Harper is trending on twitter.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    edited June 2019
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Hang on Liz... higher rate is currently paid by about the top 10-12pc of earners, which would fall to about the top 5pc under Boris’s plan (based on ONS tables of earning centiles). If the suggestion is that earning over £50k is fairly average - especially *that much over* that a marginal increase in tax rates makes a big difference - Bojo and chums want to be very careful how that plays out among working class Brexit fans a long way from London.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1138117706379644933?s=20

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782765/NS_Table_3_1a_1617.xlsx

Looking at that list I'm in the top 3% of earners - eek

I can see how it will be attractive to 9% of all voters but how many of them don't already vote Tory (or would have done before Brexit scared them to the Lib Dems).

And that’s the thing. We’ve been conditioned to believe higher rate is a slightly aspirational but highly achievable “middle class” state of affairs. I’m hovering at the lower edge after 20+ years in relatively senior jobs, and I’d be pretty shocked if someone felt I should be taken out of that band by a margin of £30k.
    It’s a consequence of politicians hanging around professionals in and around London, where jobs paying £40-50k elsewhere in the country can often be £70-80k. They think that a lot more people earn £70-80k than is actually the case.

A better policy would be something like an income tax break for seasonal transport tickets, there’s a lot of people having to earn something like £7k just to get to work given the 40% rate.
    How is that going to play out up North where we are still waiting for approval of the Northern Powerhouse rail. Especially with Crossrail being £2bn over budget.
  • Options

kle4 said:

So Boris has Bridgen and Francois on his side...

Makes my vote even easier - if I get the chance.

https://twitter.com/hancock4leader/status/1138130064367861760
    Winning back LDs and BXP voters? What a great policy, and so simple to achieve too.
    It’s easy. You just need a time machine to go back to 2015.
    Going back to 2016 and not electing May would do it.....
    How would an alternative leader have done better?
    Not the 2017 GE, presumably. Could have rammed a bad deal through parliament without that loss of authority?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited June 2019
    Yet again another anti Boris article.

Completely ignores of course the fact that Leave only won the 2016 referendum because Boris was frnting the campaign, had Farage been fronting it Leave would likely have lost.

Also rather dismisses the fact that Boris twice won Labour London as the only Tory to win the Mayoralty.

Completely ignores the fact too that with Yougov last week Boris was the only Tory leadership contender who would win a majority against Corbyn Labour.

Plus even in Uxbridge the Tory voteshare went up under Boris in 2017, in some other London seats it actually fell
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder who Dominic Grieve and Phillip Lee will vote for now that their preferred candidate is out of the race.

How likely is it that both will be resigning the Tory Whip in the event of Johnson being elected?
    They’re facing the prospect of not being accepted as candidates in a future GE so don’t have a great deal to lose now .

But I think they might wait to see what Bozo does re the EU first . It’s very hard to know what happens after Bozo takes over .

Things could unravel very quickly.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,104
    Pulpstar said:

Mark Harper is trending on twitter.

As everyone asks "Who???????"
  • Options
    Sam Gyimah the only Tory leadership contender not to get enough nominations to stand for leader, so his endorsement is now available
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,101
    AndyJS said:
    Using "2.0" as anything other than a means of describing quantities between 1.9 and 2.1 to one decimal place should be illegal. Using it as a verb should carry a mandatory death sentence.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Hang on Liz... higher rate is currently paid by about the top 10-12pc of earners, which would fall to about the top 5pc under Boris’s plan (based on ONS tables of earning centiles). If the suggestion is that earning over £50k is fairly average - especially *that much over* that a marginal increase in tax rates makes a big difference - Bojo and chums want to be very careful how that plays out among working class Brexit fans a long way from London.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/782765/NS_Table_3_1a_1617.xlsx

I can see how it will be attractive to 9% of all voters but how many of them don't already vote Tory (or would have done before Brexit scared them to the Lib Dems).

I am slumming it in the top 4% - which makes you a cosseted elitist while I am a down to earth man of the people.
    23% here. Absolubte poverty by pb.com standards.
    32%. Blimey, other people are much poorer than I realise!
    I drop 10 points between the pre- and post-tax tables so I'm not sure what's going on there.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Using "2.0" as anything other than a means of describing quantities between 1.9 and 2.1 to one decimal place should be illegal. Using it as a verb should carry a mandatory death sentence.

He should read up on the "second system effect" also...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

I wonder who Dominic Grieve and Phillip Lee will vote for now that their preferred candidate is out of the race.

How likely is it that both will be resigning the Tory Whip in the event of Johnson being elected?
    Quite likely in my opinion.
    If that happens - together with a by election being called for Brecon & Radnor next week - a VNOC could well succeed.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:
    I think it sounds silly as well.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    nico67 said:

I think it’s clear the print media in general aswell as the BBC and Sky want Bozo as PM .

He’s likely to get a much easier ride because they’re hoping for a constant stream of drama to report on .

That is what gave us Trump. Without the media obsession he would not have had a chance.

But anyway, enough of that, this is a Tory leadership thread. Amazing drama in store, I predict, over the next few days and weeks. Some stuff is going to happen that will make us go, "What the fuck! Really? I never in a million years saw that coming ...".

Only wish I was a member and had a vote.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    It looks like Leadsom was relying on minor Brexiteers.

• Options
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yet again another anti Boris article.

Completely ignores of course the fact that Leave only won the 2016 referendum because Boris was frnting the campaign, had Farage been fronting it Leave would likely have lost.

Also rather dismisses the fact that Boris twice won Labour London as the only Tory to win the Mayoralty.

Completely ignores the fact too that with Yougov last week Boris was the only Tory leadership contender who would win a majority against Corbyn Labour.

Plus even in Uxbridge the Tory voteshare went up under Boris in 2017, in some other London seats it actually fell

Brexit sold unicorns - Boris is good at selling Unicorns. What he isn't good at is delivery which wasn't a problem as he delegated it in London - I don't think as PM (especially as PM with something (Brexit) that is under just his control and needs to be delivered) that's an option.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    it's a version number (it actually makes a degree of sense!)
  • Options
    The biggest mystery at the moment is trying to find out who the other 4 Andrea Leadsom supporters were for the nomination paper, since she only has 4 public backers at present.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sam Gyimah the only Tory leadership contender not to get enough nominations to stand for leader, so his endorsement is now available

I seriously have to ask Who is he? I really don't have a clue...
  • Options

Only Jeremy Hunt looks like a Prime Minister in waiting.

Only Jeremy Hunt has the competence and experience to be Prime Minister.

Only Jeremy Hunt has the talent and experience to heal the country and the party.

#TeamHunt

(This post has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I tipped Hunt at 100/1 and 66/1)

Only Jeremy Hunt would see the Tories fall behind the LDs and tied with the Brexit Party with Yougov (OK, Gove would fall behind Labour too)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

What's the big difference(s) between Ed Davey and Jo Swinson policy wise ?

She is pro-pacts with TIG/former TIG, he is anti. That's pretty much it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

I am slumming it in the top 4% - which makes you a cosseted elitist while I am a down to earth man of the people.
    I drop 10 points between the pre- and post-tax tables so I'm not sure what's going on there.
    Ah indeed, I'm much closer to the middle of the pack now
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Ah indeed, I'm much closer to the middle of the pack now
    I suspect that's the difference between PAYE and self-employment / investments...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

And that’s the thing. We’ve been conditioned to believe higher rate is a slightly aspirational but highly achievable “middle class” state of affairs. I’m hovering at the lower edge after 20+ years in relatively senior jobs, and I’d be pretty shocked if someone felt I should be taken out of that band by a margin of £30k.
    It’s a consequence of politicians hanging around professionals in and around London, where jobs paying £40-50k elsewhere in the country can often be £70-80k. They think that a lot more people earn £70-80k than is actually the case.

A better policy would be something like an income tax break for seasonal transport tickets, there’s a lot of people having to earn something like £7k just to get to work given the 40% rate.
    How is that going to play out up North where we are still waiting for approval of the Northern Powerhouse rail. Especially with Crossrail being £2bn over budget.
    Crossrail… must have Crossrail...
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Looking at the comments in the Times to the TV licence decision, one can only conclude that (a) pensioners are the whiny, grabby, snowflakey, somebody else must pay generation in spadesand (b) people who work for charities such as age concern are either liars or cretins.
  • Options

A distressing lack of people who are not 'the right honourable'
  • Options
    justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

justin124 said:

AndyJS said:

Quite likely in my opinion.
    If that happens - together with a by election being called for Brecon & Radnor next week - a VNOC could well succeed.
    A general election with 12 months must be very likely even if no-one really wants one, and it could be within 6 months.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

What a surprise - the serial philanderer has been proposed by the Tory Trollop!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    We had that joke earlier today - I'm sure RCS1000 suggested it was 3.11 . Personally I suspect the next version of the Tory party will be version 6.0.6000
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    justin124 said:

Good spot. Truss for next Chancellor is worth a fiver.
  • Options

I fear Boris will be even more of a South-and-Home-Counties focussed leader than even the most recent inhabitants of the office.

He’s pure SNP gold. Boris is yet another toxin being applied to the Union’s body politic.
    Boris increases the Tories voteshare in Scotland from 16% now to 20% with Yougov as he squeezes the Brexit Party vote from their current Scottish rating of 15%
  • Options
    Sorry, but you can't get more "gammony" a name than "The 1922 Committee". I mean, is that when they first entered Parliament?

:lol:
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

I seriously have to ask Who is he? I really don't have a clue...
    The only Tory leadership contender who backed EUref2
  • Options

Sorry, but you can't get more "gammony" a name than "The 1922 Committee". I mean, is that when they first entered Parliament?

:lol:

1922 was the zenith of the British Empire.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I fear Boris will be even more of a South-and-Home-Counties focussed leader than even the most recent inhabitants of the office.

He’s pure SNP gold. Boris is yet another toxin being applied to the Union’s body politic.
    Boris increases the Tories voteshare in Scotland from 16% now to 20% with Yougov as he squeezes the Brexit Party vote from their current Scottish rating of 15%
    He’s not going to squeeze the Brexit Party if he doesn’t deliver Brexit.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    We had that joke earlier today - I'm sure RCS1000 suggested it was 3.11 . Personally I suspect the next version of the Tory party will be version 6.0.6000
    They should definitely increment the major version number, since they'll be making breaking changes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Is tommorow when all the candidates start parading about with their backers on full public display ?
  • Options
    Of course, "Die Hard 4.0" was known as "Live Free or Die Hard" in the US :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    An appalling Tory Vista.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

What's the big difference(s) between Ed Davey and Jo Swinson policy wise ?

She is pro-pacts with TIG/former TIG, he is anti. That's pretty much it.
    More important than policy, IMHO, is dynamism, vision and voter appeal.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

I suppose they could just give it up as a bad job and use the tunnels as a new sewer to accommodate all of the effluent produced by Londoners every day.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited June 2019
    I saw Sam Gyimah saying some relatively sensible, realistic and pragmatic things on Sky News earlier (in comparison to all the other candidates), so it totally makes sense that he's the one who didn't even make the initial cut.
  • Options

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

I suppose they could just give it up as a bad job and use the tunnels as a new sewer to accommodate all of the effluent produced by Londoners every day.
    Londoners are morally superior to the rest of the country, their shit don't stink.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    matt said:

Looking at the comments in the Times to the TV licence decision, one can only conclude that (a) pensioners are the whiny, grabby, snowflakey, somebody else must pay generation in spadesand (b) people who work for charities such as age concern are either liars or cretins.

Your comment (b) is a bit puzzling. Age Concern hasn't existed for 10 years. Is there really a comment from them in there?
  • Options

I saw Sam Gyimah saying some relatively sensible, realistic and pragmatic things on Sky News earlier, so it totally makes sense that he's the one who didn't even make the initial cut.

Gyimah, Gyimah, Gyimah a man after midnight
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868

eek said:

I am as well though close to 3, surprised indeed. Turnip farming is better than I thought.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    kle4 said:

Not really that surprising given it applies to all current and former members of cabinet and you would kind of expect anyone standing for PM to have some cabinet experience.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    On a par with putting '101' behind any random topic as if it were a first year undergrad module.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

justin124 said:

Good spot. Truss for next Chancellor is worth a fiver.
    No, Javid gets it IMO. I think she'll get a big promotion but chief secretary to chancellor is absolutely huge.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868
    HYUFD said:

LOL :blush: you are certainly persistent , your numbers are worse than Scott's retweets.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,944

A new sewer is currently being built under the Thames, which should improve water quality in the river considerably:
    https://www.tideway.london/the-tunnel/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    @Richard_Nabavi

I wasn't cheering on the gentleman in question.

I did however cheer enthusiastically when Mr @Nigel_Foremain made his hilarious comment about punts.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    An important story on YouTube radicalization.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MNIzj1ZjT8c
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

A new sewer is currently being built under the Thames, which should improve water quality in the river considerably:
    https://www.tideway.london/the-tunnel/
    Is that a metaphor for the House of Commons?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not really that surprising given it applies to all current and former members of cabinet and you would kind of expect anyone standing for PM to have some cabinet experience.
    Yes, but I was hoping for a few absolute longshots.
  • Options

I saw Sam Gyimah saying some relatively sensible, realistic and pragmatic things on Sky News earlier (in comparison to all the other candidates), so it totally makes sense that he's the one who didn't even make the initial cut.

He proposed a second referendum. How is that a sensible policy?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited June 2019
    !

matt said:

Your comment (b) is a bit puzzling. Age Concern hasn't existed for 10 years. Is there really a comment from them in there?
    Age U.K. one group of somebody else must pay enthusasists is much like another. “Caroline Abrahams, Age UK’s charity director, said: “Make no mistake, if this scheme goes ahead we are going to see sick and disabled people in their eighties and nineties who are completely dependent on their cherished TV for companionship and news, forced to give it up.”
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

It's sensible if you want to remain.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

It's sensible if you want to remain.
    Yes, but he wanted to be leader of the conservative party.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    Boris price up to 1.75 (from 1.5), Gove back to 18 (from 27) after his expect5ed punchy launch (which is what I was referring to at the weekend). But I think the final 2 comes down to whether Hunt can avoid stumbling.
  • Options

I saw Sam Gyimah saying some relatively sensible, realistic and pragmatic things on Sky News earlier, so it totally makes sense that he's the one who didn't even make the initial cut.

Gyimah, Gyimah, Gyimah a man after midnight
    Here in my pocket I've got the Rory of the blues,
    try to belive me cos' could be front page news,
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,517
    Risking oversimplification, is this a fair analysis of the job in hand? What the new PM has to do as an absolute minimum, before starting on tax cuts, foreign policy and free stuff, is this:

1) Align Government, Parliament and the EU in such a way as to deliver a Brexit sufficiently acceptable to the voting public

2) Avoid at all costs a General Election before Brexit, as the Brexit party will ensure the Conservatives will lose and Labour will probably win, therefore

3) Win any VONC

4) Avoid a minor (eg 6 MPs defect) or major (eg 100 MPs form new party) split in the Tory party

5) Neutralise the Brexit party in the longer term

6) Be in a position to win a GE in 2022.

This minimum is quite a big ask at the moment. I think we need a plan with a bit of detail from each of the candidates. Can anyone outline how even a single one of the 10 candidates would outline their proposal, because I can't.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Risking oversimplification, is this a fair analysis of the job in hand? What the new PM has to do as an absolute minimum, before starting on tax cuts, foreign policy and free stuff, is this:

1) Align Government, Parliament and the EU in such a way as to deliver a Brexit sufficiently acceptable to the voting public

2) Avoid at all costs a General Election before Brexit, as the Brexit party will ensure the Conservatives will lose and Labour will probably win, therefore

3) Win any VONC

4) Avoid a minor (eg 6 MPs defect) or major (eg 100 MPs form new party) split in the Tory party

This minimum is quite a big ask at the moment. I think we need a plan with a bit of detail from each of the candidates. Can anyone outline how even a single one of the 10 candidates would outline their proposal, because I can't.

They can do some of those, for a time, but not all of them.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Because he pointed out that whomever the new PM is they're going to get only a very short amount of time by the time they're in place with not much happening over summer. They might get a couple of months at most before the October deadline. They're no more likely able to renegotiate a new yet sensible deal in that time anyway.

They'll still have the same parliamentary arithmetic which makes TM's deal unlikely without any overture of a second referendum and no deal will be fought tooth and nail against and an extension is going to be a strong possibility anyway, so it doesn't leave many other sensible options.

I thought what he said was considerably more realistic and pragmatic than most of the guff the other candidates have come out with.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    MaxPB said:

Let me count the ways.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,728
    MaxPB said:

For leavers, because it is possibly the only way to deliver a Brexit?
    For remainers, because it is a quick way to either remain or get it over with?
    For those bored with it, because it is the quickest way to move on.

Everyone else is peddling gridlock masked by whatever unicorn takes their fancy.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Gyimah was the Tory Liz Kendall
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    algarkirk said:

3) Win any VONC

Win VONC is task 1; if they can't do that nothing else maters
  • Options
    Fallon being asked about BoJo/Gove drug use 20 years ago - what about Fallon's CONVICTION for drink driving?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

3) Win any VONC

They can do some of those, for a time, but not all of them.
    It's a bit scary, but so far as I can see unless all 6 are delivered, then JC becomes PM in probably a coalition government.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Updated MP declarations show Boris likely to come top and main battle between Hunt and Gove for second and Raab and Javid and Hancock for third.
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1138123749344055297?s=20
  • Options

algarkirk said:

3) Win any VONC

Task 1 that is missing there is to ensure continued DUP support - that isn't a given.

Item 4 is then task 2 and also task 5-6 - some candidates will lose 6 MPs within minutes / hours of becoming leader. Winning the VONC can only be task 2 as if you lose 6 MPs instantly you've lost the VONC even if they abstained and they wouldn't

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721

eek said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    An appalling Tory Vista.
    Hah! You beat me to it! :(
  • Options
    edited June 2019

matt said:

Age U.K. one group of somebody else must pay enthusasists is much like another. “Caroline Abrahams, Age UK’s charity director, said: “Make no mistake, if this scheme goes ahead we are going to see sick and disabled people in their eighties and nineties who are completely dependent on their cherished TV for companionship and news, forced to give it up.”
    Well it's a mess of the Government's making - i'm not sure how well the BBC can pin the blame on the Government though - but the Beeb needs to do so to have any chance of surviving....
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    HYUFD said:

And crushes any chance of anti-SNP tactical voting a la 2017.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    matt said:

matt said:

Heck, they may have to cancel their Netflix... :(
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

MaxPB said:

Because he pointed out that whomever the new PM is
    whoever
  • Options
    eek said:

algarkirk said:

3) Win any VONC

Task 1 that is missing there is to ensure continued DUP support - that isn't a given.

Item 4 is then task 2 and also task 5-6 - some candidates will lose 6 MPs within minutes / hours of becoming leader. Winning the VONC can only be task 2 as if you lose 6 MPs instantly you've lost the VONC even if they abstained and they wouldn't

I was being too modest in my minimum demands, but still lack a candidate who can coherently deliver.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Quick question - under the old rules, the bottom candidate on each ballot was eliminated. It now says a candidate needs 17 votes on the 1st ballot to proceed. Is it therefore possible no-one is eliminated on the 1st ballot?
  • Options

Fallon being asked about BoJo/Gove drug use 20 years ago - what about Fallon's CONVICTION for drink driving?

20 years ago, huh?
    We're sticking with that?
    Ooookay, but rather you than me... :(
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

eek said:

algarkirk said:

3) Win any VONC

I was being too modest in my minimum demands, but still lack a candidate who can coherently deliver.
    No MP can deliver what's required - that's why you really don't want to win this election. I suspect the only person who is going to come out of it well will be Rory ready for the next or next but 1 leadership campaign (given the speed of the forthcoming disaster you probably want to be the next but 1 leader)...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If any of the others have a better solution than, um...renegotiate the backstop except better than May, or prorogue parliament and just stop talking about it till Brexit day, then now's probably the time to come out with it.

Frankly even one of the candidates coming out and saying a GE was the only way forward would at least show some sort of realism.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If any of the others have a better solution than, um...renegotiate the backstop except better than May, or prorogue parliament and just stop talking about it till Brexit day, then now's probably the time to come out with it.

Frankly even one of the candidates coming out and saying a GE was the only way forward would at least show some sort of realism.
    Well the deal is clearly not going to pass the Parliament, so the options are either a different deal or a different Parliament.

I suspect most of the candidates are going to try the former before the latter.
This discussion has been closed.