Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON leadership race is now down to ten with the first MP v

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688
    glw said:

They (because it applies to most of them) are simply deluded if they think the EU is about to make some substantial concession, that Parliament will rally behind a minority govnerment trying to push Hard Brexit through, and that No Deal* is even an option.

It's genuinely disturbing to see people who could be PM in a few weeks time talking such utter bollocks about Brexit, and other things to.

What ARE the options in that case?

(I don't think most of them are deluded. They are in denial, which is different)
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

AndyJS said:

Guido: IDS backs Boris.

Bone head backs bird brain shock!

I am surprised at IDS, maybe he has one eye on who will help him keep his seat as it is within the win zone for Labour.
    That’s the same IDS who had tea with Trump and Owen Paterson last week, days before Owen Paterson also came out for Bozza? No further questions, your honour.

Smells a bit like Boris is being lined up as the useful and malleable one who has the balls and charisma to carry off what their chums want. Gove’s too clever (by half, some might say), and most of the others don’t have the chutzpah to convince a population of 66 million voters that a tax cut for 4 million of them is “for the middle classes”, and all the other nonsense which makes sense on the side of a bus.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,290
    There will be no change of narrative.

It is, and will remain, ‘anyone rather than the orange tw@t’.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    IanB2 said:

Theresa May already doesn’t seem quite so bad.

Ahem... I got a lot of stick for predicting that just a few days ago...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    edited June 2019
    The Dems need to decide if ideological purity is more important than replacing Trump with a Democrat.

In blunt policy terms, can they afford to lose narrowly again, and have Trump replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a 45 year old anti-abortionist?

IMO the best chance they have against Trump is to go with Biden, who will most likely stand down after a single term anyway.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    By the time Bozo is finished we’ll be discussing the wonder years of May .

I have no time for May but when the chips were down she at least thought about the national interest and realized no deal would be a disaster for the country .

• Options
    AndyJS said:
    I did wonder why Graham Brady was keeping so quiet.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

Chris said:

kle4 said:

The comments in this thread about Leadsom are ridiculous. She's not remotely loathsome or witchy - she doesn't have a Thatcheresque demeanour, not that it would be reprehensible of she did. I can only conclude that she's the one people are scared will actually succeed in securing Brexit and a thriving UK.

Just because people dislike soemone does not mean they are scared of them.

That said, I don't recall why people think she is especially loathsome.
    Is it a sort of pun on her name - Leadsom?
    I meant besides that reason. I assume there has to be more of a reason than just the pseudo-pun.
    Give her her due, she was very prescient about Brexit back in 2013, stating that: "it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty".

Shame she didn't pay attention to herself.
    Gosh, changing her mind, what a truly foul individual.
    Why is someone who allegedly changed their mind before 2016 sound on Europe, but someone who changed their mind after 2016 is a traitorous Remoaner?
    I wouldn't call anyone traitorous, I prefer the word treacherous.

Regarding people who've gone Remain since the referendum, I wouldn't call them treacherous, I'd call them credulous, skittish and easily demoralised. Not much else you can call people repenting something that hasn't even happened.
    "hasn't even happened."

Your case three years ago was that you could bring about a good brexit. It transpires that you are too fecking useless to bring about any sort of brexit at all either now or in the foreseeable, and you are presenting that as a point in your favour. I salute your indefatigability.
    Who is this 'you' of whom you speak? My case as a voter was that leaving the EU was a good idea. It is still my view that leaving the EU is a good idea, and I have seen nothing to remotely dissuade me.
    In fact it may still be a very good idea, but what if it cannot be implemented?

If you read the Communist Manifesto, you may well come to the conclusion Communism is quite a good idea. Practical results to date have however been a little disappointing.
    The Communist Manifesto didn't suggest it would get everything wrapped up in two years with a specific date in the calendar ear-marked.
  • Options
    My ranking:

Hunt
    Javid
    Gove
    Leadsom .. getting desperate now..,
    Hancock
    Harper

Immediate resignation from the party probably applies from here on, although I might wait to see if Johnson betrays the right supporters first

Johnson
    Raab
    Mcvey

I've missed out Rory Stewart because I think he'd be a superb leader of another party, yet to be formed. Hancock is a good guy but not for the current mess.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Latest numbers with 70% declared:

Johnson 65, Hunt 36, Gove 35, Raab 24, Javid 19,
    Hancock 16, Harper 7, McVey 6, Stewart 6, Leadsom 5.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
    Boris Johnson telling people in a Sikh temple that we need a free trade deal with India so they can import scotch duty free...

https://twitter.com/jamesmelville/status/1138176573121716224
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Personal ranking (sometime member of the Conservative Party, sometime Conservative candidate in council election)

Plausible PM material
    STEWART

Deranged, chancer, or fraud

Gove, Johnson, Hunt, Raab

deluded

Sajid Hancock Leadsom

Who?

McVey, and the other bloke

But that's just my opinion

• Options

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

brendan16 said:

Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that passport control at JFK airport is the absolute pits. Awful. A form of purgatory. Over 2 hours to get through.

US customer service - pah!!!!

Good job you didn't tell them that. You'd still be there.
    Have people tried flying via Dublin or Shannon and using US pre clearance to avoid the queues stateside?
    Not myself, but have heard nothing but good reports from friends and colleagues who have used it for business trips and family holidays.

The BA flight London City > Shannon > JFK is particularly notable, but only if someone else is paying.

At some point the US is going to realise they’re losing a lot of visitors because of the whole airport ‘experience’.
    I have decided not to visit the USA under this president. My money, my choice.
    Gove is thinking along the same lines now.
    Lines of what? (Innocent face)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929
    edited June 2019

My ranking:

Hunt
    Javid
    Gove
    Hancock
    Harper

Immediate resignation from the party probably applies from here on, although I might wait to see if Johnson betrays the right supporters first

Johnson
    Raab
    Mcvey

I've missed out Rory Stewart because I think he'd be a superb leader of another party, yet to be formed. Hancock is a good guy but not for the current mess.

You are very generous to Harper there. Gave the impression on Newsnight that he would be a decent backbench MP you could rely on not to embarrass the Party, by not saying or doing anything egregiously stupid, but not put in charge of much more than the photocopier.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

My ranking:

Hunt
    Javid
    Gove
    Hancock
    Harper

Johnson
    Raab
    Mcvey

You are very generous to Harper there. Gave the impression on Newsnight that he would be a decent backbench MP you could rely on not to embarrass the Party, but not put in charge of much more than the photocopier.
    Well, yes, but look at the three I've put lower down. At least he's not actively trying to crash us out in chaos in a few weeks' time.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Cyclefree said:

Can I just say that passport control at JFK airport is the absolute pits. Awful. A form of purgatory. Over 2 hours to get through.

Flying on BA? T7 is pretty much the worst of the terminals for arrivals. If it’s any consolation, it usually takes so long for them to get the luggage unloaded that it’s barely any faster for US passport holders with checked bags.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,088

glw said:

FF43 said:

In reverse order of suitability for the job:

Pretty much. Anyone who thinks Boris should be running the country wants locking up if you ask me.
    The recent Time Magaine cover was cutting precisely because it was true. We have become an international laughing stock. Boris however can, I am sure, take us beyond ridicule.
    Its only a laughing stock to arrogant and small-minded individuals who think that Brexit is moronic and can't look past their nose. Other countries have had to face far greater sacrifices to ensure their country was independent than any trials or tribulations Britain will face.
    Strangely I don't remember hearing that from the Leave camp during the referendum campaign.

Or seeing the slogan "Trials and Tribulations" on the side of a bus.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited June 2019
    I remember the game Stop Boris as a kid where you had to shoot a battery powered spider between the eyes to stop him crawling along the floor. Someone really needs to re-release that game for amusement value right now.

As for who will really stop him? Its Raab or Hunt, the former if Johnson's gaffes or history catch up with him, the latter if it doesn't.

• Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    franklyn said:

Personal ranking (sometime member of the Conservative Party, sometime Conservative candidate in council election)

Plausible PM material
    STEWART

Deranged, chancer, or fraud

Gove, Johnson, Hunt, Raab

deluded

Sajid Hancock Leadsom

Who?

McVey, and the other bloke

But that's just my opinion

As a Deputy Council leader who’s authority is a big chunk of Rory’s constituency, I agree about Rory, but not sure that feeling is currently shared by his colleagues or the wider membership. I like his attempts to strip away the hyperbole and keep to calm facts and genuinely listening to the point of view of others.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,929

dixiedean said:

My ranking:

Hunt
    Javid
    Gove
    Hancock
    Harper

Johnson
    Raab
    Mcvey

You are very generous to Harper there. Gave the impression on Newsnight that he would be a decent backbench MP you could rely on not to embarrass the Party, but not put in charge of much more than the photocopier.
    Well, yes, but look at the three I've put lower down. At least he's not actively trying to crash us out in chaos in a few weeks' time.
    Well indeed. Fair enough!
  • Options
    If Boris gets the same percentage support from the remaining MPs, he'd get 95 votes in the first ballot. (Assumes everyone votes in line with their public endorsement).
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    edited June 2019
    If you don't like Boris the move is to endorse him. People will will assume he has the votes in the bag for the first round and use their vote to help some other favoured candidate against a candidate they don't like. If everyone does that he gets knocked out in the first round.
  • Options

If you don't like Boris the move is to endorse him, people will will assume he has the votes in the bag for the first round and use their vote to help some other favoured candidate against a candidate they don't like. If everyone does that he gets knocked out in the first round.

The more MPs publicly endorse a candidate, the easier it will be to tell if anyone's been telling porkies when the votes are counted. That's why I'm interested in seeing just how many of them back a candidate before Thursday.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    edited June 2019
    I've had a look at remaining potential support and also aggregated Guido + Wiki

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-KczH9LmgjPjvosBcads2AqlcTEZNg0i2MadKTK2j8A/edit?usp=sharing

35 GOVE
    16 HANCOCK
    7 HARPER
    36 HUNT
    19 JAVID
    69 JOHNSON
    5 LEADSOM
    6 McVEY
    24 RAAB
    6 STEWART

I think 2 of Leadsom's additional backers are Chris Davies and Glyn Davies (Who has also indicated he won't stay with her)

Mcvey's extras possibly Rowley, Redwood, Hollobone, Spencer

Stewart - Benyon/Newton perhaps.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

If you don't like Boris the move is to endorse him. People will will assume he has the votes in the bag for the first round and use their vote to help some other favoured candidate against a candidate they don't like. If everyone does that he gets knocked out in the first round.

I suspect Boris will end up with rather fewer votes than endorsements.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,195
    glw said:

nico67 said:

All this fuss over which Captain will be at the helm as the SS Brexit hits the iceberg .

The Tories psychodrama over Europe is now becoming extremely tiresome . They really need to be removed as they’re a clear and present danger to the UK .

There is one massive difference.

Some of them believe we have absolutely no need of lifeboats.
    Some of them think we shouldn't even try to avoid the iceberg, but instead sail at full speed towards it, without raising any alarm.
    "Ejaculate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!"
  • Options

Boris Johnson telling people in a Sikh temple that we need a free trade deal with India so they can import scotch duty free...

https://twitter.com/jamesmelville/status/1138176573121716224

Sikhs don't really stick to the whole no drinking thing. The ones I know anyway. It's completely forbidden in the Gurdwaras though - Boris was guilty of crossing a taboo there !
  • Options
    The person behind that tweet has made a slight fool of themselves by assuming that Sikhs are like Muslims in terms of being non-drinkers of alcohol.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-KczH9LmgjPjvosBcads2AqlcTEZNg0i2MadKTK2j8A/edit?usp=sharing

35 GOVE
    16 HANCOCK
    7 HARPER
    36 HUNT
    19 JAVID
    69 JOHNSON
    5 LEADSOM
    6 McVEY
    24 RAAB
    6 STEWART

I think 2 of Leadsom's additional backers are Chris Davies and Glyn Davies (Who has also indicated he won't stay with her)

Interesting figures, thanks. It's not impossible that Boris could get 100 votes on Thursday IMO.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

35 GOVE
    16 HANCOCK
    7 HARPER
    36 HUNT
    19 JAVID
    69 JOHNSON
    5 LEADSOM
    6 McVEY
    24 RAAB
    6 STEWART

Interesting figures, thanks. It's not impossible that Boris could get 100 votes on Thursday IMO.
    I think there are some very natural support arcs btw

On the leavery side:
    Leadsom -> Boris
    Mcvey -> Boris
    Mcvey -> Raab -> Boris
    Raab -> Boris

Remain side:
    Stewart -> Hunt
    Javid -> Hunt
    Javid -> Gove
    Stewart -> Gove
    Stewart -> Hancock -> Hunt
    Hancock -> Hunt

Are some potential ones. I have no idea where Haper's support might go - I also think Boris could pick up some more remain transfers potentially.

• Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019
    As a Ukipper turned Tory member since 2016 (I knew I had to join as the next mission was to take back control of the Conservative Party), I will be using my vote for whoever pledges to pull us out as soon as possible. And at the moment of the frontrunners, Boris is the man. Last chance saloon for the Tories now.

Favoured: Boris, Raab, McVey, Leadsom.

Never: Stewart, Gove, Hunt.
  • Options

As a Ukipper turned Tory member since 2016 (I knew I had to join as the next mission was to take back control of the Conservative Party), I will be using my vote for whoever pledges to pull us out as soon as possible. And at the moment of the frontrunners, Boris is the man. Last chance saloon for the Tories now.

What about the Iron Saj, Mark Harper or Hancock :D ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What about the Iron Saj, Mark Harper or Hancock :D ?
    I didn't join the Liberal Democrats.

Also, Happy (late) 98th Birthday to Prince Philip.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,610

I think your recording of "Star Wars: A New Hope" is slightly different to mine...

• Options
    viewcode said:

I think your recording of "Star Wars: A New Hope" is slightly different to mine...

I hated it when they released an updated version of A New Hope with new graphics. The original 1977 version was just fine as it was.
  • Options

Its only a laughing stock to arrogant and small-minded individuals who think that Brexit is moronic and can't look past their nose. Other countries have had to face far greater sacrifices to ensure their country was independent than any trials or tribulations Britain will face.

We are entombed, but we live on. This is only the beginning. We will prepare. We will grow stronger. When the time is right, we will emerge and take our rightful place as the supreme power of the universe...
  • Options

Wouldn't you say Raab is more likely to do what you want compared to Boris?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

Welcome, Viceroy.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

The irony is that Stewart is the person most likely to take the UK out the EU on our before the deadline, and Johnson the least likely.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

Why are so many Remainers supporting Johnson ?
  • Options

Why are so many Remainers supporting Johnson ?

It makes sense. If one candidate promises No Deal and the other doesn't, the one who does will win. But if the winner then proceeds to keep their promise, they will destroy the party, the economy or both. The solution is to support an audacious liar.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

I hated it when they released an updated version of A New Hope with new graphics. The original 1977 version was just fine as it was.
    Oooh, now there's a debate. If memory serves (and it might be a bit garbled), due to previous releases being sold out and the original version not being deposited, the original 1977 version effectively disappeared. Some fans had to go thru all the various footages and reconstruct it. Here's the details:

* Jeremy Jahns: Star Wars Despecialized Edition is Awesometacular!
    * Harmy: Introducing the Despecialized Edition and Its Sources
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Looking at all the leadership claims etc...have any come up with a sensible way forward for Northern Ireland (always a tricky one)? It seems that chit chat about drugs and taxes are simply a diversion from the large elephant (orange or green depending on your view) that is sitting in the room. The clock is ticking, Rome is burning and yet we are sitting through a bizarre Tory beauty contest.
  • Options

Looking at all the leadership claims etc...have any come up with a sensible way forward for Northern Ireland (always a tricky one)? It seems that chit chat about drugs and taxes are simply a diversion from the large elephant (orange or green depending on your view) that is sitting in the room. The clock is ticking, Rome is burning and yet we are sitting through a bizarre Tory beauty contest.

This is true, OTOH the core skill needed to get through the crisis is the ability to bamboozle Conservative Party members.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469

The idea now is to hoodwink the Tory party members by saying whatever is necessary. Thereafter, the backsliding can start.

Johnson is the finest snake oil salesman. Ironically, the one who is totally honest and means what she says is McVey. Of course, she is completely barmy.
  • Options
    Viceroy_of_OrangeViceroy_of_Orange Posts: 172
    edited June 2019
    Boris Johnson has been more categorical than Dominic Raab so far, and is the frontrunner. If Boris does backslide, it really will be the end of the Tory Party. They're currently polling 20% - if the great Eurosceptic hope Boris turns out to be a liar, they'll sink faster than the Titanic and so will his premiership. It would only take a handful of the ERG to go on 'strike' and the government wouldn't be able to pass any legislation. Then they would face Farage and a Brexit Party on steroids. Much of my family and social circle voted Tory in 2017 - continued support is now hanging by a thread.

As for Rory Stewart being able to take us out, erm what? The man sits on BBC Question Time telling us "love" is the answer to this impasse. His speeches sound like extracts lifted from a Miss World speech, that's why he appeals to Remainer Liberal Democrats on the Twittersphere. This surrender treaty will not get through Parliament, how many times must it be demonstrated?

It is this Deal or No Deal. And the Tories have to deliver by October.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Would Boris prefer to get 100 or 75 votes in the first round? He might prefer 75 counterintuitively. With 100 his supporters might get complacent, or start to think they could support other candidates for a round or two.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited June 2019

This surrender treaty will not get through Parliament

You must be a troll.
  • Options

This surrender treaty will not get through Parliament

You must be a troll.
    Why ?
    However deluded, that sounds like the authentic voice of a significant section of the Tory party, recent import or not.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,872

"Take back control" of the Conservative Party for what purpose?

Electoral oblivion ? ;)
  • Options

"Take back control" of the Conservative Party for what purpose?

Electoral oblivion ? ;)
    ‘Take control’ would surely be more accurate than ‘take back control’, too.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

Flying on BA? T7 is pretty much the worst of the terminals for arrivals. If it’s any consolation, it usually takes so long for them to get the luggage unloaded that it’s barely any faster for US passport holders with checked bags.
    Things have got considerably worse at Dulles in recent months. A two-hour wait for US passport holders is now not uncommon. This follows a period were every US citizen used a passport reading machine, in the same manner as global entry. But all those machines have been pulled. Who knows what's going on and why it has become so much worse.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    MTimT said:

rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

Things have got considerably worse at Dulles in recent months. A two-hour wait for US passport holders is now not uncommon. This follows a period were every US citizen used a passport reading machine, in the same manner as global entry. But all those machines have been pulled. Who knows what's going on and why it has become so much worse.
    Trump’s determination to go back to the steam age ?

“I don’t want Albert Einstein reading my passport...”
    https://www.ccn.com/donald-trumps-wacky-solution-boeing-737-max-8-crash-get-rid-of-computers
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I see Team Leadsom are playing the woman card. "We must have a woman in the final two."

Perhaps the mystery backer is a woman not a man...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nigelb said:

However deluded, that sounds like the authentic voice of a significant section of the Tory party, recent import or not.

How can a Kipper who recently joined be " the authentic voice of a significant section of the Tory party"?

The inauthentic voice, perhaps.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

How can a Kipper who recently joined be " the authentic voice of a significant section of the Tory party"?

If it were only UKIP/Faragist entryism, that might be true.
    To claim those types of views haven’t been significant (albeit not dominant) in the party for many years is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

To claim those types of views haven’t been significant (albeit not dominant) in the party for many years is ridiculous.

To claim the view that crashing out with no deal was significant in the party for many years is ridiculous.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925
    edited June 2019

Boris Johnson has been more categorical than Dominic Raab so far, and is the frontrunner. If Boris does backslide, it really will be the end of the Tory Party. They're currently polling 20% - if the great Eurosceptic hope Boris turns out to be a liar, they'll sink faster than the Titanic and so will his premiership. It would only take a handful of the ERG to go on 'strike' and the government wouldn't be able to pass any legislation. Then they would face Farage and a Brexit Party on steroids. Much of my family and social circle voted Tory in 2017 - continued support is now hanging by a thread.

As for Rory Stewart being able to take us out, erm what? The man sits on BBC Question Time telling us "love" is the answer to this impasse. His speeches sound like extracts lifted from a Miss World speech, that's why he appeals to Remainer Liberal Democrats on the Twittersphere. This surrender treaty will not get through Parliament, how many times must it be demonstrated?

Any new leader will have to successfully negotiate with the DUP and keep all Tory MPs on board.

He /she then needs to get things agreed by Parliament by October and any election before then will destroy the party - put simply nothing is going to work the way the candidates hope
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I note the "Quiet Man" has come out for the "Silent and "Invisible Man"

Oh Man !!!!!!!

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if anyone will drop out ahead of/immediately after* the first round.

*Beyond the one who gets officially eliminated, of course.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if anyone will drop out ahead of/immediately after* the first round.

*Beyond the one who gets officially eliminated, of course.

And those that fail to meet the next threshold.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,491
    tlg86 said:

I see Team Leadsom are playing the woman card. "We must have a woman in the final two."

Ether McVey is probably a woman...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,872
    Nigelb said:

Scott_P said:

Nigelb said:

If it were only UKIP/Faragist entryism, that might be true.
    Oh, they've been significant. But they're just part of the party. I get the impression that some ERG-leaning fellows almost want a cleansing of the party, a process that will lead to purity.

Purity with a side-effect of electoral oblivion.
  • Options

It's curious that BoZo is positioned as the candidate that can help MPs keep their seats, by offering the least electorally palatable proposal
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Boris clearly keen to have a woman with him in the final two ....

But that's another tabloid story on the editors desk ....
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,257

None of the ten is suitable for the job but if I had to list them in order of merit, starting with the least disastrous and working my way down I'd go...:

Gove
    Hunt
    Stewart
    Hancock
    Leadsome
    Harper
    Javid
    Raab
    McVey
    Johnson

A PB poll on this would be fun.

I'd switch Javid and Leadsom. Otherwise, I agree.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Still not convinced re Leadsom but I can see a way through for her if BoJo's campaign goes off the rails and leavers are left in a situation with Hunt in the lead and a choice between her, Raab and McVey for the Leaver vote.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I had heard something like that which made me wary of betting on Raab. Obviously can't say what.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The other question is, if it does snowball and force him to go, where does his support go?
  • Options
    On Stewart, much of him just radiates a traditional pragmatic Conservative. He has, for example, railed against rhetoric on ‘equality’ and ‘sustainability’ where these are just buzz words thrown around by MPs with no reflection on what they might mean in terms of achievable policy. He’s also talked practically about foreign policy, and Brexit.

But what lets him down is going so vociferously against the “horror” of tax cuts and his rhetoric that “love” is part of the answer. Quite aside from sounding a little bit too Jesus/John Lennon for many people’s liking he risks giving the impression he’s running against his own party.

He needs to be much more careful, define his own Conservativism and put his own stamp on it if he’s going to lead the party.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cyclefree said:

The mistake was flying to JFK in the first place.

Newark passport control is always much quicker. Just as easy for NYC.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,688

I think there are some holdouts in the Conservative Party who think competence, common sense and, um, conservatism are a thing and haven't gone full UKIP fruitcake. You are no doubt seeing to that.
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Still not convinced re Leadsom but I can see a way through for her if BoJo's campaign goes off the rails and leavers are left in a situation with Hunt in the lead and a choice between her, Raab and McVey for the Leaver vote.
    Yes, Gove should have been in pole position to mop that up, but isn’t anymore.

I think McVey just comes across as too fierce and aggressive to get through too.

I don’t think Raab is going anywhere.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

There were two women in the final two last time.

It’s telling, though. If she’s playing that card now then she’s running short on ammunition for her USP.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Isn’t it going to the USA in general?

They seem to view being rude and curt to non-US citizens as a sign of professionalism.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,925

Cyclefree said:

Annoyingly when I'm going later this year JFK was the only sane choice I had - mind you it's my first visit in years - I avoid the USA like the plague...
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

I think McVey just comes across as too fierce and aggressive to get through too.

I agree you on Raab. If his personality was better, he would be in a real chance.

I get the point on McVey. But I think many Conservative MPs also realise they are in the last chance saloon and that JC could easily get in on the back of the Brexit Party eating into their vote and letting Labour in on a reduced share of the vote a la Peterborough. I don't see how Leadsom would win those people back but I can see how McVey would.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

On Stewart, much of him just radiates a traditional pragmatic Conservative. He has, for example, railed against rhetoric on ‘equality’ and ‘sustainability’ where these are just buzz words thrown around by MPs with no reflection on what they might mean in terms of achievable policy. He’s also talked practically about foreign policy, and Brexit.

But what lets him down is going so vociferously against the “horror” of tax cuts and his rhetoric that “love” is part of the answer. Quite aside from sounding a little bit too Jesus/John Lennon for many people’s liking he risks giving the impression he’s running against his own party.

He needs to be much more careful, define his own Conservativism and put his own stamp on it if he’s going to lead the party.

Stewart appears to be in the wrong party.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Cyclefree said:

They seem to view being rude and curt to non-US citizens as a sign of professionalism.
    Some US airports are way worse than others. Chicago O'Hare and JFK are two that I always avoid.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Royale, ha. That sounds about right.

If a situation is mostly a problem for women, it gets gendered a lot (domestic abuse, for example), if it's mostly a male problem (homelessness, suicide) it's less likely to get a gendered report/response. It's also disturbing that the hundreds of male victims in Rotherham barely ever get acknowledged.

My favourite "Think of the women" line was with apocalyptic climate change warnings. "World about to end - women most affected!"

Anyway, back on topic: I agree with you. If Leadsom's line is "We need someone with ovaries. I have ovaries" it's not a good look.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Easy strap line. Did you even read my post?

Like I said, I don’t think he is, but he’s enjoying being the outsider far too much without realising he has to lead the inside.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

None of the ten is suitable for the job but if I had to list them in order of merit, starting with the least disastrous and working my way down I'd go...:

Gove
    Hunt
    Stewart
    Hancock
    Leadsome
    Harper
    Javid
    Raab
    McVey
    Johnson

Switch Gove and Hunt as well, and I could live with that list.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's curious that BoZo is positioned as the candidate that can help MPs keep their seats, by offering the least electorally palatable proposal

The desperation of being in a deep hole of one’s own creation. Cf. HY’s recent posts.
  • Options
    Given the Raab bullying case was settled by means of an NDA, is there any justification at all for his surrogate Maria Miller to claim, as she did on R4 this morning, that the original claim against him was ‘vexatious’ ?
    And might this indicate a potential breach of the NDA on Raab’s part ?

Miller’s claim appears to be potentially libellous.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095

Gove
    Hunt
    Stewart
    Hancock
    Leadsome
    Harper
    Javid
    Raab
    McVey
    Johnson

The more important switch is Gove with the blank space at the bottom.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Raab is the purest Leaver of the top tier and I suspect McVey will endorse Raab when she is eliminated, maybe Javid too.

I think both Raab and Hancock will do better than expected and Hancock might pick up votes from Stewart and Gyimah
  • Options

The irony is that the more maniacal a Leaver the Tories choose, the less likely that we actually leave at all.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,903

Cyclefree said:

It's 3-4 years since we went to the USA, but I don't recall either Honolulu or San Francisco as being worse than anywhere else. Maybe, as a European, sneaking round the back helps!
    Hawaiian Airlines website was dire, though.

And, unless one's over 70, Bangkok can be tedious.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Rory Stewart is the Liz Kendall of this race, his problem is most of his most prominent supporters are from the opposition parties
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Leadsom I think goes out first on Thursday unfortunately, she has only 2 backers compared to over 60 in 2016. She probably then backs Boris
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

Easy strap line. Did you even read my post?

Like I said, I don’t think he is, but he’s enjoying being the outsider far too much without realising he has to lead the inside.
    I read your post. I get the impression that he would be far happier and more at home as a Lib Dem. He is not cut from the same ideological cloth as the likes of Raab or the flamboyance for flamboyance sake Johnson. At best the sort of thoughtful, wet Tory that Thatcher did away with
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    My order

Gove

gap

Javid
    McVey
    Raab

gap

Boris
    Hunt

gap