Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To show they’re back in the game the LDs need the Brecon & Rad

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To show they’re back in the game the LDs need the Brecon & Radnor recall petition to succeed and to win the ensuing by-election

This weekend has seen the last intensive campaigning in the Brecon and Radnor constituency to persuade those on the electoral roll to sign the petition that the sitting MP br recalled. This would create an immediate vacancy and a Westminster by-election would be called.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    Hello?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,083
    Second!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    If the by-election is a week after the new leader is elected won't an issue be that postal ballots are posted while May is still leader?
    edited June 2019
    LibDems have actively been campaigning in B&R to secure the recall (as per Mike's pic), so I'd hope and expect it'll succeed.
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,340
    What was the EU ref result there?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    IanB2 said:

LibDems have actively been campaigning in B&R to secure the recall (as per Mike's pic), so I'd hope and expect it'll succeed.

In theory the 10% threshold should be a breeze for the yellow peril wafting through the historic liberal diaspora of that huge bucolic seat. However it's a normal trait of the LibDems to trail impending success and I don't believe we've heard much from the entrails of this campaign.

Are the LibDems struggling to get the voters to engage?
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    You’d think the 10% threshold should be reached. Two recalls in a calendar year would suggest this might become a thing.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

In theory the 10% threshold should be a breeze for the yellow peril wafting through the historic liberal diaspora of that huge bucolic seat. However it's a normal trait of the LibDems to trail impending success and I don't believe we've heard much from the entrails of this campaign.

Don’t you have to fill in the petition at certain fixed locations? If that’s the case in a very rural constituency you may just not have enough people able to do so.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

I think it was almost exactly inline with the country as a while: 53:47

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the petition will succeed, but the conservatives will hold it by a whisker
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    rcs1000 said:

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the petition will succeed, but the conservatives will hold it by a whisker
    If the petition succeeds I’d expect a healthy Lib Dem win. The Brexit party would split the Conservative vote.

rcs1000 said:

If the petition succeeds I’d expect a healthy Lib Dem win. The Brexit party would split the Conservative vote.
    There's a risk of falling into a new PM honeymoon, I guess.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,225
    edited June 2019
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Wise words, young Jack, and who would know more about struggles to engage than your good self?

The offence of the sitting MP was not nearly so outrageous as the Peterborough case. I'd have thought 10,000 signatures is a lot to round up when the guy has already been punished. Only the politically motivated would be much moved to have him ousted and in rural Brecon I'm not sure there's enough such types.

Sure fire win for the LDs though if there is a bi.
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

rcs1000 said:

UKIP has never done well in the seat and only got 1.4% at GE2017.

Since 1970 four different parties have had MPs there.

LAB
    LIB
    CON
    LD

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Wise words, young Jack, and who would know more about struggles to engage than your good self?

The offence of the sitting MP was not nearly so outrageous as the Peterborough case. I'd have thought 10,000 signatures is a lot to round up when the guy has already been punished. Only the politically motivated would be much moved to have him ousted and in rural Brecon I'm not sure there's enough such types.

So fraud is a lesser offence than speeding in your eyes.
    rcs1000 said:

The Powys Euro result (includes B&R) :

Brexit Party: 35.3%
    Lib Dems: 23.8%
    Plaid Cymru: 12.2%
    Conservative Party: 9%
    Labour: 7.3%
    Green Party: 7%
    Ukip: 3.3%
    Change UK: 1.9%
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

It would be illegal to trail the progress and outcome of the recall petition.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    edited June 2019

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I doubt if there are 100,000 people in a constituency where the largest town is Ystradgynlais (population 8,000). In fact the electorate is around 50,000 which means 5,000 signatures are required. Logistically, that seems feasible to me knowing the seat quite well.

What I'm more doubtful about is whether 5,000 people will consider this a hanging offence. Unlike Onasanya, he fessed up, and he gained nothing from it, and the voters in this seat do love to show their independence by doing the opposite of what's expected of them - moreover they hate being preached to by outsiders.

I would put the chances of a recall at 6-4 against.

(BTW, does anyone else find the hypocrisy of Ian Lavery on the subject of integrity to be truly nauseating given his um, interesting financial arrangements?)
    Rawnsley: worth a read.

Notes that few of the ministers who served with Boris in Cabinet are backing him
    Suggests Johnson would prefer to fight Hunt in the final and some of his supporters may vote accordingly

"And if it all goes horribly wrong? At least, I often hear Tories muse, a Johnson premiership “will cheer everyone up”. When your party looks like it is going to hell in a handcart, they reckon you might as well hurtle towards the inferno with a smile on your face. I warn them not to repeat this in public because I am not convinced that the wider nation will be laughing with them."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/16/dirty-secrets-of-boris-johnsons-seduction-of-conservative-mps

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Indeed. I've always found it difficult to engage with the yellow peril except of course in the matter of fine pies where we clearly have common ground .... :naughty:
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    There’s not much of a Plaid Cymru vote to squeeze here (just three to four percent during this century), although PC have been doing very well in recent polling and in the Euros, where they beat Welsh Labour nationally.

I don’t normally advocate voting for a Unionist candidate (only previous occasions being where the despicable George Galloway has been in with a chance), but I really cannot see that it is worth voting PC here. Yes, we could aim to save the deposit for a change, but so what?

If I lived here, I’d be sorely tempted to vote WLD, as a one off. A lent couple of percent from us could make the difference. However, if it looked like a WLD shoo-in, I’d vote PC and keep my conscience as clean as possible.

Fair’s fair, Lib Dem voters often lend their support to the SNP and PC, especially recently, so only right we return the favour occasionally. Tactical voting is crucial if we are to defeat Brexit.

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

It’s about 5300 signatures needed and they can sign by post

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The speeding wasn't the problem, was it? I thought it was the perjury and obstruction of justice.

I didn't follow the Davies case closely but had the impression it may have been more cock-up than conspiracy. Happy to be corrected if wrong.

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

She wasn't jailed for speeding. She was jailed for fraud and falsifying a document. She was also jailed for repeatedly lying about it.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

This was a technical case of fraud, rather than a more serious one, and it was the lying which was more serious than the speeding in the Peterborough MP case.

rcs1000 said:

Surely you meant to say that the Tories will split the Brexit Party vote?
    nichomar said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

It’s about 5300 signatures needed and they can sign by post
    Sorry, I had the 10% figure in mind. It's early and I always get flustered when Jack's around.
    edited June 2019

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The speeding wasn't the problem, was it? I thought it was the perjury and obstruction of justice.

I didn't follow the Davies case closely but had the impression it may have been more cock-up than conspiracy. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
    He submitted a false invoice so he could claim £220 extra expenses. He had legitimate expenses of £700 but only £480 left in the budget. So created a receipt of £450 for that, then another one of £250 so he could claim the rest elsewhere. For this he was fined £1500 and ordered to do 50 hours community work. That seems about fair.

It was incredibly stupid and very wrong, but is rather different from breaking the law for no obvious reason, giving false evidence in a criminal matter and repeatedly lying about and racially abusing a judge.
    I agree with ydoethur that there are reasons to think the petition will fall short. I think it's a good test of the procedure and whether it was necessary to restrict recall petitions to certain circumstances, or allow them more freely as was the original intention.
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

He submitted a false invoice so he could claim £220 extra expenses. He had legitimate expenses of £700 but only £480 left in the budget. So created a receipt of £450 for that, then another one of £250 so he could claim the rest elsewhere. For this he was fined £1500 and ordered to do 50 hours community work. That seems about fair.

It was incredibly stupid and very wrong, but is rather different from breaking the law for no obvious reason, giving false evidence in a criminal matter and repeatedly lying about and racially abusing a judge.
    Both come down to the standards of honesty and integrity we should expect from those who set the rules for the rest of us, though.

Do we think someone caught doing the same with their company expenses would keep their job?
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

People may be more pissed off that he was spending £1500 on pictures for his office wall, why he couldn’t have used old posters of may and thatcher I don’t know.
    eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Don’t you have to fill in the petition at certain fixed locations? If that’s the case in a very rural constituency you may just not have enough people able to do so.
    Yes. Six locations. Just over 5,300 signatures required :

https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/7270/Public-notice-of-petition-to-remove-the-MP-for-Brecon-and-Radnorshire-Chris-Davies

It's worthy of note that last year Ian Paisley Jnr was not recalled after the petiton failed by 0.6% :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_North_Antrim_recall_petition
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    rcs1000 said:

Depends who the candidate is for the Conservatives. Now, if the Brecon voters decided that Stanley Johnson should be in the House, to keep a check on Boris.....
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Both come down to the standards of honesty and integrity we should expect from those who set the rules for the rest of us, though.

Do we think someone caught doing the same with their company expenses would keep their job?
    Company expenses would surely show flexibility in such a case? That is, you would submit the receipt, and then the company would decide how much and from where to reimburse you.

Let me ask you another question. Should David Laws have been recalled and lost his seat over his expenses claims? Because the offences were basically very similar - manipulation of documents to hide the true nature of the claim. If your answer is no, are double standards applying?

(I know he lost his seat anyway.)
    eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

People living in rural areas do go into their towns and villages fairly regularly, though. They don't just sit in their farms and have everything delivered.
    nichomar said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the "mood music" at election counts.

rcs1000 said:

Depends who the candidate is for the Conservatives. Now, if the Brecon voters decided that Stanley Johnson should be in the House, to keep a check on Boris.....
    And Rachel Johnson as the LibDem candidate. Keep it in the family .... :smiley:
    JackW said:

nichomar said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I know that it’s common to leak info at counts and that is illegal but they appear to be determined to stop people reporting the progress of the petition whilst it is still open. Are there betting markets on the potential by election outcome?
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

o engage?
    Wise

h such types.

Company expenses would surely show flexibility in such a case? That is, you would submit the receipt, and then the company would decide how much and from where to reimburse you.

Let me ask you another question. Should David Laws have been recalled and lost his seat over his expenses claims? Because the offences were basically very similar - manipulation of documents to hide the true nature of the claim. If your answer is no, are double standards applying?

I used to run expenses policy for one of the country's largest employers, and personally I would have got rid of a whole load of MPs who were making what I would regard as unacceptable claims. A fair few of the house flippers and so on are still in office. The difficulty they had was the lack of clear written rules.

I reckon most companies would take a dim view of someone presenting forged invoices in order in some way to maximise the claim, even where the expenses had been actually incurred. They'd unlikely be caught, of course, except in the same circumstances as the MP: being dobbed by a disgruntled member of staff.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

Jesus, the sheer hypocrisy of the LibDems is breathtaking .... No wonder we all cheer when LibDem MPs are carted off to jail.

My main reaction to both Chris Davies and Fiona Onasanya is it shows the sheer, unbelievable idiocy and stupidity of our MPs.

Both threw it all away for nothing, really trivial things. Just take the points on your licence, it is not a big deal. Just pay the 220 pounds yourself for photos. Are most MPs really so brain-dead that they gamble everything for almost nothing?

I am not a Tory, but I would not sign this petition. The offence does not seem serious enough.

Let's hope the LibDems have managed to keep their expenses to within the permitted limits for the recall petition. They have plenty of form in mid-Wales of breaching electoral law -- the lily-whiteness of IanB2 notwithstanding.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Yet another depressing day in politics! Wahey!
    JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

https://en.powys.gov.uk/article/7270/Public-notice-of-petition-to-remove-the-MP-for-Brecon-and-Radnorshire-Chris-Davies

It's worthy of note that last year Ian Paisley Jnr was not recalled after the petiton failed by 0.6% :

I would have said one reason to be dubious about the success of this petition is that the West of the constituency where the Liberal Democrats are strongest isn't well represented in those six. Most people in the more Liberal areas will look to Llanidloes, Lampeter and Tregaron as their 'urban centres.' And the one that comes closest to it, County Hall in Llandod, is a bugger to get to. You would have to make a conscious decision to go there, parking isn't great and it's hardly an easy walk from the town centre. Presteigne and Crickhowell are quite Tory in outlook, Hay isn't but isn't big enough on its own to make much difference while the surrounding area is quite blue, while Brecon isn't exactly a hotbed of political activity.

Ystradgynlais would seem the key one, but again few people go there who don't live there.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

That post illustrates exactly why this sort of case should be dealt with by the courts not politics

It was very much a technical offence, with no intention of personal gain. He was an idiot who could - and should - have handled it differently. He’s been punished for it.

And yes: his specific offence was much less significant than lying to the police and trying to implicate an innocent party in a crime
    nichomar said:

JackW said:

nichomar said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I know that it’s common to leak info at counts and that is illegal but they appear to be determined to stop people reporting the progress of the petition whilst it is still open. Are there betting markets on the potential by election outcome?
    If the LDs have done a lot of canvassing, they should have a fair idea of the proportion who have signed it, particularly as people are more likely to be honest about whether they have or haven't, will or wont, than they are on the doorstep about voting intention.

The issue of course is that they don't have any incentive to publicise what they know. If the petition is going really well, they don't want people to know it's in the bag since a bigger petition gets the by-election off to a flying start, and everyone who signed it will already feel some stake in the outcome. Whereas if its going very badly they wont want to put people off or suggest their campaign is struggling.
    edited June 2019
    IanB2 said:

>I used to run expenses policy for one of the country's largest employers, and personally I would have got rid of a whole load of MPs who were making what I would regard as unacceptable claims. A fair few of the house flippers and so on are still in office. The difficulty they had was the lack of clear written rules.

I reckon most companies would take a dim view of someone presenting forged invoices in order in some way to maximise the claim, even where the expenses had been actually incurred. They'd unlikely be caught, of course, except in the same circumstances as the MP: being dobbed by a disgruntled member of staff.

Noted you didn't answer my question directly. I will take that as an implicit 'yes.'

My point is I don't think he would have needed to forge the invoice as a way could have been found to sort it out. Precisely because the rules have been tightened that wasn't an option here. That means however he shouldn't have been stupid enough to go over budget.

I offer unqualified endorsement to @YBarddCwsc regarding this shows how daft our politicians are.

Sorry, I had the 10% figure in mind. It's early and I always get flustered when Jack's around.

Chortle :joy:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

That post illustrates exactly why this sort of case should be dealt with by the courts not politics

It was very much a technical offence, with no intention of personal gain. He was an idiot who could - and should - have handled it differently. He’s been punished for it.

And yes: his specific offence was much less significant than lying to the police and trying to implicate an innocent party in a crime
    If there had been no benefit to him, he wouldn't have gone to the trouble. Forging any sort of official document is never a good look.
    nichomar said:

Not that I'm aware of. Markets appear to awaiting the recall result.
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

What I don’t understand is why he didn’t duplicate the invoice and do a partial claim to both accounts?
    edited June 2019
    Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The recall act specifically references falsifying expense claims as one of the three automatic triggers of a recall, the Peterborough recall was for having been sentenced to a period in jail. Don’t forget the current MP can stand as a conservative if they and their party believe it was a minor offense.
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

What I don’t understand is why he didn’t duplicate the invoice and do a partial claim to both accounts?
    I think we should consider the possibility that it's because he's an idiot.
    And, incidentally, the leaflet in the picture is electoral literature from which party?

All printed petition literature must have an imprint. Presumably, it is on the reverse.

I am just curious as to which political party sets so much faith in "The Sun" newspaper that it quotes it on its campaign literature.
    Jonathan said:

Let me cheer you up with a schoolboy howler:

'Richard III's reign ended at the Battle of Bosworth. This was mostly because he was killed.'

No shit, Sherlock...
    edited June 2019

IanB2 said:

Jesus, the sheer hypocrisy of the LibDems is breathtaking .... No wonder we all cheer when LibDem MPs are carted off to jail.

My main reaction to both Chris Davies and Fiona Onasanya is it shows the sheer, unbelievable idiocy and stupidity of our MPs.

Both threw it all away for nothing, really trivial things. Just take the points on your licence, it is not a big deal. Just pay the 220 pounds yourself for photos. Are most MPs really so brain-dead that they gamble everything for almost nothing?

I am not a Tory, but I would not sign this petition. The offence does not seem serious enough.

Let's hope the LibDems have managed to keep their expenses to within the permitted limits for the recall petition. They have plenty of form in mid-Wales of breaching electoral law -- the lily-whiteness of IanB2 notwithstanding.
    Lol. Having spent half a lifetime dealing with expenses cases including some through to dismissal and prosecution, you are right that my own claims were always 100% compliant! In my time I saw everything from silly mistakes to some appalling shockers. I suspect my workplace experience has influenced my own perspective rather more than my politics.
    edited June 2019
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

And Rachel Johnson as the LibDem candidate. Keep it in the family .... :smiley:
    I did consider that, but thought that current (former?) CHUKer Rachel Johnson being a political opportunist just to get power might undermine some of their attacks on Boris.....
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

It’s been a long time since I looked at the David Laws case. But didn’t he conceal the nature of his relationship with his partner (he said because he wasn’t ready to come out as gay)?

As a result he claimed expenses *that he wouldn’t have been entitled to* if he’d been honest about the facts

That’s very different and much more serious
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

o engage?
    Wise

h such types.

I used to run expenses policy for one of the country's largest employers, and personally I would have got rid of a whole load of MPs who were making what I would regard as unacceptable claims. A fair few of the house flippers and so on are still in office. The difficulty they had was the lack of clear written rules.

Agreed, although I don’t think a first time offence would be a sacking offence

But every future claim would be scrutinised
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

'Richard III's reign ended at the Battle of Bosworth. This was mostly because he was killed.'

No shit, Sherlock...
    Humour doesn't get enough marks in exams.....
    There are rigid legal controls over what can be said and done during a recall petition campaign which is limiting. But the party machine can collect a huge amount of useful data. Thus is canvassers are told by a voter that they have have/will sign then that will go on the database for use during election campaign. In this case you would assume that they are anti-Tory.
    ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I would have said one reason to be dubious about the success of this petition is that the West of the constituency where the Liberal Democrats are strongest isn't well represented in those six. Most people in the more Liberal areas will look to Llanidloes, Lampeter and Tregaron as their 'urban centres.' And the one that comes closest to it, County Hall in Llandod, is a bugger to get to. You would have to make a conscious decision to go there, parking isn't great and it's hardly an easy walk from the town centre. Presteigne and Crickhowell are quite Tory in outlook, Hay isn't but isn't big enough on its own to make much difference while the surrounding area is quite blue, while Brecon isn't exactly a hotbed of political activity.

Ystradgynlais would seem the key one, but again few people go there who don't live there.
    The beauty of PB...

We can discuss the impact of parking arrangements in a Welsh market town on national politics 😂

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

No shit, Sherlock...
    Humour doesn't get enough marks in exams.....
    Many years ago while marking for a part one degree, I gave a student ten marks for the following:

'I've no fucking clue what the answer is. I was hoping for a question on women.'

Can't do that in schools unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately).

You’d think the 10% threshold should be reached. Two recalls in a calendar year would suggest this might become a thing.

If this petition does succeed then I'd expect a large amount of pressure on future MPs in a similar situation to resign rather than face the petition. You wound then see fewer petitions and more resignations.
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

If there had been no benefit to him, he wouldn't have gone to the trouble. Forging any sort of official document is never a good look.
    Poorly phrased - I meant than the expenses had been legitimately incurred. He wasn’t trying to profit from fake claims
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

I think we should consider the possibility that it's because he's an idiot.
    He’s definitely that

I suspect it’s because the rules say that claims must be accompanied by original invoices and there was no procedure (eg affidavit as my employer uses) for lost/unavailable invoices
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The recall act specifically references falsifying expense claims as one of the three automatic triggers of a recall, the Peterborough recall was for having been sentenced to a period in jail. Don’t forget the current MP can stand as a conservative if they and their party believe it was a minor offense.
    This is a good account of the case and is more much serious than some posters on this thread have suggested.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chris-davies-expenses-conservative-mp-southwark-crown-court-brecon-radnorshire-a8924161.html
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

We can discuss the impact of parking arrangements in a Welsh market town on national politics 😂
    The people of Llandod would object to that.

They are a Welsh COUNTY town.

And they never let us forget it...

(Incidentally, I missed Llandovery off the list of urban centres not in the petition but vital to the western areas of the constituency.)
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Poorly phrased - I meant than the expenses had been legitimately incurred. He wasn’t trying to profit from fake claims
    Read this. Your whitewashed version is not correct.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chris-davies-expenses-conservative-mp-southwark-crown-court-brecon-radnorshire-a8924161.html
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

You can sign by post or proxy so the parking facilities don’t need to be over stretched just those rural post boxes.
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

You can sign by post or proxy so the parking facilities don’t need to be over stretched just those rural post boxes.
    And all Postal Voters have been mailed a copy of the form automatically
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

Indeed. 8k+ postal petition packs have been sent out. Just over 5k signatures are required for this to succeed.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

The Powys Euro result (includes B&R) :

Brexit Party: 35.3%
    Lib Dems: 23.8%
    Plaid Cymru: 12.2%
    Conservative Party: 9%
    Labour: 7.3%
    Green Party: 7%
    Ukip: 3.3%
    Change UK: 1.9%
    Suggests a thumping Lib Dem win

nichomar said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

This is a good account of the case and is more much serious than some posters on this thread have suggested.

It’s a reasonable summary but states exactly what most posters on the thread have said - he faked an invoice to claim expenses which had been properly incurred but that he had to split between two budgets.

The judge puts his finger on the most disturbing impact - that he chose to forge. Once a cheater always a cheater.

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

? We are both describing the same set of facts accurately. We draw different conclusions.
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Well he was better off claiming with the forged receipt than he would have been otherwise.

And his initial defence that it was a "mistake" puts him in the common position of exacerbated his offence by lying about it. Very hard to forge a document by mistake.
    Sky News - Tobias Ellwood switches from Hancock to Stewart.
    edited June 2019

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

That is the view of somebody who has made claims some of which have been found to be false as a result of which legal action she was taking against IPSA has been dismissed.

Not saying she's wrong, just that we should not necessarily assume she's a saint either.

And in any case, even in that article there is no dispute that he was entitled to make a claim for all the money, just that he had insufficient funds in one expenses account to do so, which is why he illegally forged the expenses receipts.

A logical solution of course would not have been to buy the damn things. Why did he need so many photos?
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Well he was better off claiming with the forged receipt than he would have been otherwise.

And his initial defence that it was a "mistake" puts him in the common position of exacerbated his offence by lying about it. Very hard to forge a document by mistake.
    Depends whether it was a “mistake to forge it” or a mistaken submission!
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited June 2019
    India to impose tariffs on 28 US products in response to US refusal to exempt Indian steel and aluminium imports from its tariffs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48650505
    Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

It’s a reasonable summary but states exactly what most posters on the thread have said - he faked an invoice to claim expenses which had been properly incurred but that he had to split between two budgets.

The judge puts his finger on the most disturbing impact - that he chose to forge. Once a cheater always a cheater.
    And he changed the nature of the expenditure from photos to furniture, because he had already claimed the maximum from the budget that covers photos. The expenditure may have been incurred, but the excess wasn't proper to claim and should have been paid for personally.
    nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

What rural post boxes?
    Scott_P said:
    When did May wave the big stick of No Deal???
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:
    Quite a lot, at the beginning. Trouble is, it just encouraged the nutters on her own side to be difficult.

Remember, her cunning plan was to threaten Brexiters with no Brexit and Remainers with no deal. All done publicly.
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A big boost for Rory Stewart .

Defence Minister Tobias Elwood comes out to support him after originally being in the Hancock camp.
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

His argument was that it was a mistake to forge a document, not that he forged a document by mistake.

'Mistake' still seems a rather weak word, in all honesty (no pun intended).
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,181
    edited June 2019
    The "grandees" who were asking for a coronation seem to have stirred up something of a hornets nest.

While a few of the less intelligent Scottish Tories- Thomson, Clark,- have backed Johnson, Ruth Davidson is going to have a real headache if he won. If she doesn't create real distance between herself and Johnson then the party will lose everything they gained in 2017. Watch for the creation of a separate Scottish Tory party if BoJo gets it.

Its not just London that is shaky.
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The offence of the sittin.

That is the view of somebody who has made claims some of which have been found to be false as a result of which legal action she was taking against IPSA has been dismissed.

Not saying she's wrong, just that we should not necessarily assume she's a saint either.

And in any case, even in that article there is no dispute that he was entitled to make a claim for all the money, just that he had insufficient funds in one expenses account to do so, which is why he illegally forged the expenses receipts.

A logical solution of course would not have been to buy the damn things. Why did he need so many photos?
    If someone (presumably IPSA) has put a limit on the amount of money you can claim for certain categories of expense, you are certainly not "entitled" to make a claim for spending more by falsely reallocating items to other budgets.
    According to last night's Yougov the LDs would gain Brecon and Radnor from the Tories but in large part because of the split vote on the right between the Brexit Party and the Tories.

If Boris wins it could therefore be an early test of whether he can win back Brexit Party voters from the Tories

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=21&LAB=21&LIB=19&Brexit=24&Green=2&ChUK=0&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

And he changed the nature of the expenditure from photos to furniture, because he had already claimed the maximum from the budget that covers photos. The expenditure may have been incurred, but the excess wasn't proper to claim and should have been paid for personally.
    I hadn’t picked up on that nuance - I’d understood it was budgets from two different organisations. Clearly that is much more dodgy
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

Indeed. 8k+ postal petition packs have been sent out. Just over 5k signatures are required for this to succeed.
    Blimey, who's paid for the postage on those
    edited June 2019
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

The ratepayers of Powys.

Edit - there is a certain bizarre irony that in trying to get £220 of expenses, he has already cost his constituents many thousands of pounds. Not a great look in terms of economic competence...
    HYUFD said:

According to last night's Yougov the LDs would gain Brecon and Radnor from the Tories but in large part because of the split vote on the right between the Brexit Party and the Tories.

If Boris wins it could therefore be an early test of whether he can win back Brexit Party voters from the Tories

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?CON=21&LAB=21&LIB=19&Brexit=24&Green=2&ChUK=0&UKIP=2&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVBrexit=&TVGreen=&TVChUK=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=&SCOTLAB=&SCOTLIB=&SCOTBrexit=&SCOTGreen=&SCOTChUK=&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2017base

A Tory vote would be a wasted vote.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Scott_P said:
    “No deal is better than a bad deal.”
    Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

The beauty of PB...

The Council pays and the government covers the cost, as for any (national) election related expenditure.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,040
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

snip

The beauty of PB...

The ratepayers of Powys.

Edit - there is a certain bizarre irony that in trying to get £220 of expenses, he has already cost his constituents many thousands of pounds. Not a great look in terms of economic competence...
    8K postal packs? Surely he's toast then.

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

nichomar said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

JackW said:

eek said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

snip

The beauty of PB...

The ratepayers of Powys.

8K postal packs? Surely he's toast then.
    I think the government refunds eventually. But as Powys has very little money it may have to borrow and incur penalties to meet the cost.
    edited June 2019
    Cicero said:

The "grandees" who were asking for a coronation seem to have stirred up something of a hornets nest.

While a few of the less intelligent Scottish Tories- Thomson, Clark,- have backed Johnson, Ruth Davidson is going to have a real headache if he won. If she doesn't create real distance between herself and Johnson then the party will lose everything they gained in 2017. Watch for the creation of a separate Scottish Tory party if BoJo gets it.

Its not just London that is shaky.

Comres has a Boris led Tories on 28% in Scotland, the same as 2017 as the Brexit Party vote goes back to the Tories north of the border in large part.

Though Rory Stewart is the only Tory candidate who does better in Scotland than he does across the UK, a Stewart led Tory Party would be on 21% in Scotland compared to 19% across the UK

https://www.comresglobal.com/polls/comres-daily-telegraph-poll-june-2019/
    The Lib Dems in mid Wales, the exhibits:

Mick Bates ex-AM -- criminal conviction for violently assaulting a paramedic. The court heard that Mr Bates was "abusive and aggressive. There was a strong smell of intoxicants and a clear reluctance to co-operate. It was decided to carry him to the ambulance in a wheelchair but when it was brought the AM refused to stand, he said. "We found it was safer to take him down on his buttocks one step at a time."

Lembit Opik ex-MP -- Lembit claimed £23,083 in second home allowances out of public funds, including various items of furniture and a £40 summons charge for non-payment of Council Tax. He tried to claim £2,499 for a plasma screen television. He was also a public laughing-stock.

Really, the Welsh LibDem hypocrisy is hard to take.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 885
    JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Last night at the east Midland Hustings - it seemed to be assumed that there would be a by-election in Brecon. Hustings was, IMO, a close points win for Ed Davey. On reflection think Jo Swinson might be better placed to help attract new Lib Dem voters. May change my mind when actually get to vote!
This discussion has been closed.