Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Team Boris thought thought Hunt would be a pushover then th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Team Boris thought thought Hunt would be a pushover then this afternoon should disabuse them

The story during the final part of the MP balloting for the CON leadership was that Team Boris was working at ways to have their man fight Hunt in the membership part of the selection rather than Michael Gove.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited June 2019
    First! Like Boris, regrettably
  • Options
    this is going to be a more interesting fight than we anticipated

Yes. Coronation postponed.

I'm not sure more exposure will do the mendacious lazy adulterous charlatan Boris more good
  • Options
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Who didn't know that he is a spoilt brat who cares little for other people, and has a history of failed relationships?

Reminding them does no harm.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Dittography in the headline.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

FPT:

Foxy said:

Who didn't know that he is a spoilt brat who cares little for other people, and has a history of failed relationships?

Reminding them does no harm.
    You’re not a fan, then ?

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    HYUFD's contention is that once Johnson wins, he will be forced to call an election to overall Parliament vetoing no deal. He will then win that election with a majority. What i don't get then is the assumption that nodeal Brexit will then happen. I can't believe that every Tory MP will sign up to this. Will Jo Johnson, for example, vote for this? And if the Tories have a majority they (and Johnson) will surely prefer to bank this and try and deliver a sensible Brexit using the majority, rather than unnecessarily crashing out with nodeal.
  • Options
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Boris strikes me as in the throes of a mid-life crisis. A man who has spent a couple of decades trying to reach the top, then finding it turn to ashes in his mouth and desperate to try to hang on to his youth.

He has missed out on the sports car, but losing a few stone, getting some sharper clothes and a abandoning his wife for a fickle younger woman. I wonder what sort of tattoo he has picked out...
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if JRM's ever had the police at his door following a bust up at midnight? :D

Special Branch in the bushes 24/7
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD's contention is that once Johnson wins, he will be forced to call an election to overall Parliament vetoing no deal. He will then win that election with a majority.

That's where the analysis falls.

On the basis of current polling (based on hypotheticals, so to be taken with buckets of salt), if the Tories go to the country again before delivering Brexit they will be massacred. Scant comfort, but so will Labour.

The "GE to deliver Brexit" has been tried once.....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Bozo must be mighty relieved that he doesn't have an ex-wife who he cheated on multiple times just waiting to stick the knife in.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    “Who made his man Foreign secretary?” :D
  • Options
    edited June 2019

alex. said:

HYUFD's contention is that once Johnson wins, he will be forced to call an election to overall Parliament vetoing no deal. He will then win that election with a majority.

On the basis of current polling (based on hypotheticals, so to be taken with buckets of salt), if the Tories go to the country again before delivering Brexit they will be massacred. Scant comfort, but so will Labour.

Yes, but suspend your disbelief on this minor point..

Would a Tory Party with a working majority really pursue crash out no deal Brexit when they've got a guaranteed 5 years in power?
  • Options
    WI manage to blow a commanding position in the space of two overs.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Bozo must be mighty relieved that he doesn't have an ex-wife who he cheated on multiple times just waiting to stick the knife in.....

When David Blunkett was having rather well publicised difficulties with his relationships, his first wife honourably refused to comment, despite being offered tabloid money. I rather admired her for it.

When Chris Huhne ran into marital problems, his wife was perhaps rather too keen to comment to the press.

I am not sure Vicky Pryce made the right call.

Perhaps a marriage has broken down, but you normally want to have a relationship with your ex-partner (especially as in Marina's case, there are children to consider as well).
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,094
    Foxy said:

Boris strikes me as in the throes of a mid-life crisis. A man who has spent a couple of decades trying to reach the top, then finding it turn to ashes in his mouth and desperate to try to hang on to his youth.

He has missed out on the sports car, but losing a few stone, getting some sharper clothes and a abandoning his wife for a fickle younger woman. I wonder what sort of tattoo he has picked out...

A big heart with BJ loves BJ in the centre. Could be read in 2 different ways of course.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,980
    alex. said:

alex. said:

Would a Tory Party with a working majority really pursue crash out no deal Brexit when they've got a guaranteed 5 years in power?
    A Tory Party with a working majority is a hell of an assumption....
  • Options
    eek said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

May well be, but it's HYUFD's plan for how Johnson delivers his Brexit promise.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

When David Blunkett was having rather well publicised difficulties with his relationships, his first wife honourably refused to comment, despite being offered tabloid money. I rather admired her for it.

When Chris Huhne ran into marital problems, his wife was perhaps rather too keen to comment to the press.

Perhaps a marriage has broken down, but you normally want to have a relationship with your ex-partner (especially as in Marina's case, there are children to consider as well).
    One can take positions on other people’s personal relationships, and it does provide character evidence.
    But unless they’re in a position of significant influence, who cares ?

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    eek said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Yes. The real polling, as opposed to the hypothetical, whilst swinging wildly, has been consistent on one thing since the last GE. That there will be another hung Parliament.
    Worth noting also. THREE different parties have led the national polling since the Tories last did.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    In some ways it is good that Hunt will put Boris through his paces, as Brown and May found out not having to make your case against an able opponent to the membership does not help you when you get the job or in a future general election campaign
  • Options
    If you had actually bothered to read a word I wrote on the last thread which again clearly you have not, you would have read I said the Sun would likely stay neutral in the leadership race but endorse the Tories whichever of Boris or Hunt wins provided they deliver Brexit. If they do not and extend again the Sun may even endorse Farage and the Brexit Party
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Nigelb said:

One can take positions on other people’s personal relationships, and it does provide character evidence.

I am pointing out that Marina may not want to involve herself by publicly commenting.

(Huhne and Blunkett were in positions of significant influence when their ex-wives were invited to comment).
  • Options
    Wonder when Boris proxys will go negative on Hunt....
  • Options

Trump did too, did not stop him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If you had actually bothered to read a word I wrote on the last thread which again clearly you have not, you would have read I said the Sun would likely stay neutral in the leadership race but endorse the Tories whichever of Boris or Hunt wins provided they deliver Brexit. If they do not and extend again the Sun may even endorse Farage and the Brexit Party
    Do you have contacts on the Sun's editorial board?
  • Options

alex. said:

No, only if the Tories extend again post October does the polling show the Tories will be massacred.

If the Tories call a general election before October to get a mandate for Brexit Deal or No Deal then they could well win a majority under Boris
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2019
    I think Hunt comes across as PM material.

Boris on the other hand is like a CH4 Big brother winner.

I cannot believe Boris is even being considered as PM. He is a joke with no strategy, policies or ideas. I think Tories will be in for a negative shock if they think Boris will save them....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

Yes. The real polling, as opposed to the hypothetical, whilst swinging wildly, has been consistent on one thing since the last GE. That there will be another hung Parliament.
    Worth noting also. THREE different parties have led the national polling since the Tories last did.
    I would expect quite a shift from TBP to Conservatives under the new leader, but in turn, that will probably prompt a shift from Lib Dem and Green to Labour.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited June 2019
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

I do.

Well one current member and the former editor of thesun.co.uk

But as the Queen told me, she hates name droppers.
  • Options

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

But as the Queen told me, she hates name droppers.
    Norman St John Stevas & Princess Margaret.....
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    On topic, I'm not surprised, Jeremy Hunt is awesome.

If the sole criteria for this election was competence Hunt would win a landslide, but it isn't and he won't.
  • Options

I cannot believe Boris is even being considered as PM. He is a joke with no strategy, policies or ideas. I think Tories will be in for a negative shock if they think Boris will save them....

Hunt is Mitt Romney ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Trump ie the charismatic populist the liberal left establishment hates but might actually win the next general election
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
  • Options

If the sole criteria for this election was competence Hunt would win a landslide.

Disappointed that GO appears to be backing Johnson?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If the Tories call a general election before October to get a mandate for Brexit Deal or No Deal then they could well win a majority under Boris
    Polling evidence?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Your obsessed with the Brexit party and polling!

Politics is much more complicated than you think. The Sun backs the party it thinks will win, the Brexit supporting media were artificially boosting Farage to put pressure on the Tories to ditch May. They wont do that in a GE.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I am pointing out that Marina may not want to involve herself by publicly commenting..
    I am not one of those particularly excited by the prospect.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Hunt is by far the better choice. Hope that there are enough sane Tories left to realise that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Hunt is by far the better choice. Hope that there are enough sane Tories left to realise that.

So will you be voting for a Hunt led Tories then?
  • Options
    VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    Hunt comes over as diffident, weak and characterless. He cannot make that up by appearing articulate. Mr Smithson, the job of PM requires personality.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

No, only if the Tories extend again post October does the polling show the Tories will be massacred.

They could but Farige says he’ll run candidates to keep the tories ‘honest’ . Given they can’t run a ground game then all they will do is syphon votes off from the tories letting others through the middle. So bring it on
  • Options
    alex. said:

If the sole criteria for this election was competence Hunt would win a landslide.

Not really. I understand George's logic, only a Leaver can delay Brexit going forward, and so long as we've exited the EU by the next general election Leave voter will not hold it against the Tories (we hope!)
  • Options
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
    Trump was accused of sexual assault and of rape, he still won
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Polling evidence?
    Comres, Boris wins 395 seats, Hunt wins 224

https://mobile.twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1138551562522046464
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Oh that’s fine then as long as you can buy off your accusers it’s fine to have a rapist etc as head of state?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Oh that’s fine then as long as you can buy off your accusers it’s fine to have a rapist etc as head of state?
    I said accused not convicted and that is up to the voters
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Infinitely more likely than Boris. A man with zero integrity, unfit for high office who needs to be stopped.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

They could but Farige says he’ll run candidates to keep the tories ‘honest’ . Given they can’t run a ground game then all they will do is syphon votes off from the tories letting others through the middle. So bring it on
    Of course they will but under Boris the Brexit Party take fewer votes off the Tories thsn the LDs take off Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Infinitely more likely than Boris. A man with zero integrity, unfit for high office who needs to be stopped.
    So that will still be a no then
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Hunt is Mitt Romney ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Trump ie the charismatic populist the liberal left establishment hates but might actually win the next general election
    I think you are fundamentally wrong on Boris winning elections. The type of people he appealed to in London are now repelled by him. No point in gaining votes in Labour safe seats if you dont get middle class support in the marginals. The distrution of vote is very important in FPTP elections. Get an even amount of support everywhere and you get very little. Blair understood how to get support over the whole country with optimum distrubution of votes by advocating popular policies many of which were former Tory policies. I cannot see Boris attracting support and distrubution of support in a similar way to Blair or Thatcher.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Hunt is Mitt Romney, ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Rudy Giuliani, ie the has-been ex-Mayor of a big city with a over-inflated reputation that collapses under scrutiny and likely loses the next general election.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Sean_F said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

I would expect quite a shift from TBP to Conservatives under the new leader, but in turn, that will probably prompt a shift from Lib Dem and Green to Labour.
    Agreed. With the caveat that I would also expect large movements of Lab and Green to LDs anywhere they could be seen to be the main challenger. Tactical voting in other words.
  • Options
    What is it about opinion polls that the more they are discredited and shown to be largely manipulated guesswork, the more seem to cling to them as the arbiters of the truth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps your vote is a blank cheque, mine is not. I’ll wait to see what happens. The world is upside down. Hunt is not a complete no. I could not vote for Boris.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296

HYUFD said:

I think you are fundamentally wrong on Boris winning elections. The type of people he appealed to in London are now repelled by him. No point in gaining votes in Labour safe seats if you dont get middle class support in the marginals. The distrution of vote is very important in FPTP elections. Get an even amount of support everywhere and you get very little. Blair understood how to get support over the whole country with optimum distrubution of votes by advocating popular policies many of which were former Tory policies. I cannot see Boris attracting support and distrubution of support in a similar way to Blair or Thatcher.
    Certainly not to win 395 seats. That is unicorns beyond anything reasonable or even possible
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,186
    HYUFD said:

I came back from Tokyo ANA peasant class at Easter. In the window seats in front and to the right of me was a Jeremy Hunt and his wife, in front of them were their children. Hunt seemed a normal, family guy. He will come over as decent and trustworthy, despite his tendency to pander to his audience.

Johnson if he couldn't swing an RAF freebie, he would surely get The Telegraph to bump him up to the front. Man of the people he is not, the more he is tested the more he will be found wanting. His chaotic personal life is important too because it mirrors his behaviour in office.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Actually of the top 10 Tory target seats for the next general election 8 are in Labour Leave seats in the Midlands and North and only 1 is a London Remain seat, Kensington
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2019
    Vinny said:

Hunt comes over as diffident, weak and characterless. He cannot make that up by appearing articulate. Mr Smithson, the job of PM requires personality.

Jeremy Corbyn has personalty too but I'd rather hope we didn't have a clown as Leader of the Opposition and a buffoon as Prime Minster.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Hunt is Mitt Romney, ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Rudy Giuliani, ie the has-been ex-Mayor of a big city with a over-inflated reputation that collapses under scrutiny and likely loses the next general election.
    Rudy lost the 2008 GOP primaries as he was too pro abortion for the GOP base, he would likely have run Obama much closer in 2008 in the general election than McCain did
  • Options
    alex. said:

What is it about opinion polls that the more they are discredited and shown to be largely manipulated guesswork, the more seem to cling to them as the arbiters of the truth.

Most of us discount polls at present as they shift from week to week and prefer to have a more rounded and nuanced view of politics today. Very pleased with Hunt today and my watching lady wife, and voting member, recoiled in horror at Boris theatricals.

So 2 votes for Hunt here
  • Options

alex. said:

Not really. I understand George's logic, only a Leaver can delay Brexit going forward, and so long as we've exited the EU by the next general election Leave voter will not hold it against the Tories (we hope!)
    I thought he was trolling.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Perhaps your vote is a blank cheque, mine is not. I’ll wait to see what happens. The world is upside down. Hunt is not a complete no. I could not vote for Boris.
    Getting you from 100% anti Tory to 90% anti Tory is irrelevant if the Tories keep losing 2017 Tories to 100% Brexit Party
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

HYUFD said:

I came back from Tokyo ANA peasant class at Easter. In the window seats in front and to the right of me was a Jeremy Hunt and his wife, in front of them were their children. Hunt seemed a normal, family guy. He will come over as decent and trustworthy, despite his tendency to pander to his audience.

Johnson if he couldn't swing an RAF freebie, he would surely get The Telegraph to bump him up to the front. Man of the people he is not, the more he is tested the more he will be found wanting. His chaotic personal life is important too because it mirrors his behaviour in office.

I find it surprising given his wealth he didn't come back business class.
  • Options

alex. said:

Most of us discount polls at present as they shift from week to week and prefer to have a more rounded and nuanced view of politics today. Very pleased with Hunt today and my watching lady wife, and voting member, recoiled in horror at Boris theatricals.

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Romney was supposedly a normal, decent family man too.

Fat lot of good it did him in 2012
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Certainly not to win 395 seats. That is unicorns beyond anything reasonable or even possible
    I don't think he'd win 395 seats either. I do think he would boost the Conservative vote, in key areas.

To me, it's a bit like choosing Jeremy Thorpe as leader. He certainly appeals to a lot of voters, but, there's always the chance of a big scandal emerging.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

alex. said:

I thought he was trolling.
    Nope, it is too serious for that.

Like a lot of us he's utterly heartbroken about what has become of the Tory party.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Getting you from 100% anti Tory to 90% anti Tory is irrelevant if the Tories keep losing 2017 Tories to 100% Brexit Party
    You don’t defeat Farage by playing his game. He is a better at it than you. You are supposed to be Conservatives not ideological zealots. Play to your strengths.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    And many more will follow. Boris is not the Messiah you think he is. You spent too much time with IDS. You need to broaden your horizons
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I find it surprising given his wealth he didn't come back business class.

Family of 5 business class ....... ouch. 15k return? Maybe 5 times a year?

Even if you're properly rich, that stings a bit :-)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You don’t defeat Farage by playing his game. He is a better at it than you. You are supposed to be Conservatives not ideological zealots. Play to your strengths.
    Which in your eyes means picking another Remainer to fail to deliver Brexit again so we can lose gracefully to Corbyn or Farage at the next general election.

Enough of that, I want a leader now who actually believes in Brexit and wants to deliver it and can win
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Rudy lost the 2008 GOP primaries as he was too pro abortion for the GOP base, he would likely have run Obama much closer in 2008 in the general election than McCain did
    Lucky for Johnson that his views on abortion don't matter.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think he'd win 395 seats either. I do think he would boost the Conservative vote, in key areas.

To me, it's a bit like choosing Jeremy Thorpe as leader. He certainly appeals to a lot of voters, but, there's always the chance of a big scandal emerging.
    I went to a Lib conference in the mid 80's where there were calls to 'get Jeremy back'!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Which in your eyes means picking another Remainer to fail to deliver Brexit again so we can lose gracefully to Corbyn or Farage at the next general election.

Enough of that, I want a leader now who actually believes in Brexit and wants to deliver it and can win
    Well Boris is hoodwinking you and many others. He will only do that which is good for Boris and he is not to be trusted
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Boris may save the Toies. Maybe.

Hunt won't.

• Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    And many more will follow. Boris is not the Messiah you think he is. You spent too much time with IDS. You need to broaden your horizons
    I suspect you are right that Hunt over the campaign will make it closer to 60% to 40% than 70% to 30% as it was at the beginning but Boris will still win comfortably.

IDS of course won the Tory membership vote himself in 2001 when he beat Ken Clarke
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Of course they will but under Boris the Brexit Party take fewer votes off the Tories thsn the LDs take off Corbyn Labour
    The UK electoral map is not one homogeneous equation that runs by pre determined logic, especially when you see voting opinions based on hypothetical non elections. Yes you can have a poll showing party x has y% but to then translate that into votes in the ballot box is a fantasy step too far. As was pointed out before you have to actually get candidates in place with financial transparency, you have to get said candidates to polling day preaching at least a similar message on issues other than brexit. You then actually have to then get the voters out to vote, especially if voting isn’t an ingrained habit.
    It’s bloody hard work working an election that requires people who have a vague idea about what they are doing and candidates who are not going to shoot the party in the foot. If you have a background in campaigning in marginals or in seats that you can win through differential turn out you’ll understand, otherwise at for the only poll that matters.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Hunt actually wants to reduce the abortion time limit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    I suspect you are right that Hunt over the campaign will make it closer to 60% to 40% than 70% to 30% as it was at the beginning but Boris will still win comfortably.

IDS of course won the Tory membership vote himself in 2001 when he beat Ken Clarke
    And how did that work out
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You are lost. Hunt is competent. Boris is not. If you want Brexit you’re better off with Hunt.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

The UK electoral map is not one homogeneous equation that runs by pre determined logic, especially when you see voting opinions based on hypothetical non elections. Yes you can have a poll showing party x has y% but to then translate that into votes in the ballot box is a fantasy step too far. As was pointed out before you have to actually get candidates in place with financial transparency, you have to get said candidates to polling day preaching at least a similar message on issues other than brexit. You then actually have to then get the voters out to vote, especially if voting isn’t an ingrained habit.
    It’s bloody hard work working an election that requires people who have a vague idea about what they are doing and candidates who are not going to shoot the party in the foot. If you have a background in campaigning in marginals or in seats that you can win through differential turn out you’ll understand, otherwise at for the only poll that matters.
    If you want to get Tories and Leavers out to vote at the next general election then Boris is the man to do it, not Hunt who will enthuse voters as much as May did in 2017
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Whoosh.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

I went to a Lib conference in the mid 80's where there were calls to 'get Jeremy back'!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MSka2l51A
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

The Tories improved their poll rating and won more councillors
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Almost right:

Whoosh.
    I bet Boris doesn't.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

You are lost. Hunt is competent. Boris is not. If you want Brexit you’re better off with Hunt.
    Why? Hunt's policy is he will competently renegotiate the backstop.

The EU will competently say no.

Hunt will then competently extend Article 50 again rather than leave with No Deal or try for a GB FTA.

Hunt will then competently lead the Tories to be slaughtered by Farage and Corbyn at the next general election as a result
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MSka2l51A
    Neither of the non-Thorpes are me!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I doubt that very much indeed when 'the chips are down'. LD support has tended to lack depth - 'easy come - easy go'. When other issues come to the fore in an election campaign - as I expect them to - the anti-Tory vote will again coalesce around Labour. Moreover , whatever people might say now , it will not be a Brexit election.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I doubt that very much indeed when 'the chips are down'. LD support has tended to lack depth - 'easy come - easy go'. When other issues come to the fore in an election campaign - as I expect them to - the anti-Tory vote will again coalesce around Labour. Moreover , whatever people might say now , it will not be a Brexit election.
    It is striking though, that more people now identify as Remain or Leave than now profess a religion. For some people, being Remain or Leave has become a religion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If you want to get Tories and Leavers out to vote at the next general election then Boris is the man to do it, not Hunt who will enthuse voters as much as May did in 2017
    Ok then if Johnson is Tory leader they are all going down the polling station to vote Tory because it’s ‘boris’. Good luck with that it’s about as likely as the TBP winning more than ten seats.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

It will not be a Brexit election if we actually Brexit before the next general election as both parties promised before the last general election.

If we are still in the EU by the next general election then Brexit will dominate
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

So did Labour members elect the leader that Conservative voters woud prefer, or did they go with the person who made their socialist hearts sing?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    edited June 2019
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

It is striking though, that more people now identify as Remain or Leave than now profess a religion. For some people, being Remain or Leave has become a religion.
    Indeed, and quite obviously so given the emphasis on moral goodness of various positions, the importance of belief (and pureness of that belief - many are the leavers who are not leavey enough, or remainers who have accepted not remaining, who are derided, and the preposterous assertion that only if someone believed in it 3 years ago can they be trusted, vs whether they believe in it now), the trust that some magical solution will be found to leave/remain, that any price is worth paying, and so on and so forth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

The Tories improved their poll rating and won more councillors
    Right now you are living your own fantasy to be fair
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

It will not be a Brexit election if we actually Brexit before the next general election as both parties promised before the last general election.

If we are still in the EU by the next general election then Brexit will dominate
    If (yes I know) Brexit is half the disaster forecast then the next GE WILL be about Brexit
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

That does rather depend on what Boris will mange to do and how much he might disappoint on his promises in the initial months, so he will need to be careful, but yes he starts out having a better chance of getting those groups out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

2021 Census could have some interesting entries in the religion field.
This discussion has been closed.