Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly people are wondering whether Farage is losing it

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited November 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly people are wondering whether Farage is losing it

There’ve been several pieces today about Nigel Farage’s performance on Question Time last night held in what became a UKIP stronghold at the May local elections, Boston in Linconshire.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't back the Conservatives to top the poll for the European parliament at 20/1. It'll either be Labour or UKIP. Short of a real collapse in UKIP support, the Tories will finish third.

However, most people (including activists) don't care about the European parliament, and most voters don't care who they send there but are interested in sending a message - whether about the EU, Westminster or whatever. On that basis, UKIP should still do well because there'll be little campaigning for the elections anway and what there is will pass most people by. What Farage's media difficulties may do is place a ceiling on their potential support rather than diminish what's already there.

The general election, on the other hand, is a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I'm sorry Mike, but the polls clearly show Labour are the only real opposition to UKIP in 2014. 10/1 weren't bad odds, but they weren't any more than decent value either.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    I agree with every word Anna Soubry said.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    found myself in complete agreement with Ms Soubry - first time I have agreed with a Tory for a very long time.
  • Options
    I got the feeling last night that the Anna Soubry approach was a new strategy from the Tories to deal with what is a big threat. She’s a minister and her line of attack would have been agreed beforehand with coalleagues.

For once I fear OGH may be being a tad generous to the Tories.....

However it happened, the Tories do need more strong women on the box. Esther McVey is making a decent fist of things too....
  • Options
    The Farage comment that Brits "are discriminated against" for vegetable picking jobs is a very odd one. Does he really believe that farmers in Lincolnshire are economically irrational, and deliberately choose to pay more for worse workers?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Has the electorate looked at the (UKIP) future and decided it reslly didn't like what it saw?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I think we should use the attractiveness of our country as a potential diplomatic weapon.

'back off Putin, or we open the borders....'

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    It's amazing - or perhaps not so amazing - that whenever Farage or someone from UKIP appear on QT there are leftists carefully placed in the audience to barack, heckle and generally shout them down. I believe that the BBC QT crew are complicit in this.

I saw the whole QT and while Nigel wasn't at his shining best he easily outshone the rest of the panel . Anna Soubry was particularly dreadful. Vicky, mouthed for the EU, the labour lady was a nonentity and the so called poet was a laugh in himself.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,918
    rcs1000 said:

The Farage comment that Brits "are discriminated against" for vegetable picking jobs is a very odd one. Does he really believe that farmers in Lincolnshire are economically irrational, and deliberately choose to pay more for worse workers?

Not sure what Farage was referring to, but haven't there been cases where gangmasters / foremen have wanted to only hire low-paid workers from a particular EU country, so the workforce can communicate well between themselves? If that is happening, then surely that is discrimination against British citizens?
  • Options

Has the electorate looked at the (UKIP) future and decided it reslly didn't like what it saw?

More a case that UKIP are not really a functioning 'party' at all. It's either Farage the person, or a bunch of for want of a better word 'loonies and fruitcakes', apart from a few (very few) individuals.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

It's amazing - or perhaps not so amazing - that whenever Farage or someone from UKIP appear on QT there are leftists carefully placed in the audience to barack, heckle and generally shout them down. I believe that the BBC QT crew are complicit in this.

I saw the whole QT and while Nigel wasn't at his shining best he easily outshone the rest of the panel . Anna Soubry was particularly dreadful. Vicky, mouthed for the EU, the labour lady was a nonentity and the so called poet was a laugh in himself.

Could I have your address, so I could send you a tinfoil hat?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    MikeK said:

Come off it. (Notorious BBC leftie) Soubry slaughtered him. As tim says it would be great to see some of that kind of clarity and passion from Cameron and Osborne
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Barring a black swan event, the Conservatives will finish third in the EU Parliamentary elections.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    If anyone is sending MikeK a tinfoil hat, please ensure it is made with British tinfoil or you risk him not wearing it.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    I too agreed with everything Anna Soubry said. Can't rememebr the last time I said that about a Tory. Well done, good to hear.
  • Options
    Wow - she's a fearsome speaker in that clip.... impressive. Nige saying they can all come if they want makes the point for her too.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited November 2013
    Followers of the big three united in being fooled by faux outrage designed to protect the status quo, quel surprise.

The most telling point in the show was the immigrant in the audience complaining about the lack of integration in Boston, the luvvies didn't know which way to look.

When you use the working class and British as pawns to patronise, it must come as a shock when they don't read the script

Will concede it wasn't Farages best outing, he probably expected a friendlier crowd.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Not sure what Farage was referring to, but haven't there been cases where gangmasters / foremen have wanted to only hire low-paid workers from a particular EU country, so the workforce can communicate well between themselves? If that is happening, then surely that is discrimination against British citizens?
    If they are paying less than UK minimum wage, then they should be prosecuted.

I think Anna Soubry's point is the crucial one, and it's one the MikeK and others fail to address: education and our benefits system has allowed the creation of a group of people who either have no marketable skills, or for whom work is not economically attractive.

I live in Hampstead, North London. We advertised in the local paper for a job for a part-time cleaner, paying £10 or £11/hour. We got about 100 responses. Of which none were from British citizens. None.

We live walking or short bus-ride distance from Brent, from Kilburn, from areas with quite serious unemployment. We are paying 40% more than minimum wage. Yet no British people even applied for the job.

That is not, I'm sure, because there are Brits who don't want the job. It is because the benefits system discourages people from working - especially working part-time. If all the immigrants went home, there wouldn't be 100 British people lining up for the job, instead we simply probably wouldn't have a cleaner, and I'd have a grumpy wife.
  • Options
    While I agree with Anna Soubry, it's not people like me the Conservatives will be pursuing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    As I have mentioned before on here in 2012 my kids' private school sat more highers in science than the 9 state schools in Dundee put together and got a higher percentage of "A" grades than the state schools got passes.

I do not say this to be smug. I think it is a local and national disgrace. Dundee City Council spending per pupil is pretty equivalent and their results are just shocking. In fairness, they will have the very considerable costs of making provision for children with special needs and the schools support a significant bureacracy but I cannot believe that any amount of social adjustments is going to make them value for money.

When I attended a state school in Dundee 35 years ago it was not like that. My state school used to compete with the High in how many kids went to University in "hard" subjects like medicine and in Oxbridge entrants. It is shocking how the gap in performance has grown. The implications for social mobility in this country as well as economic performance are serious.

The test for all educationalists is to explain this desperate failure and explain how their ideas are going to get the kids in this country back into the top 20 of 24.
  • Options
    The political narrative changes for a while, to UKIP's detriment. I cannot express just how surprising I find that development.
  • Options
    Pity Nick Palmer - years of being nice and polite and reasonable on here and Mike gives a 'front page' scoop with video link to his arch rival!! Those labour posters on here saying they agree with her must add insult to injury!!
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    Good stuff from Soubry, who is somewhat left wing for a Tory.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346

Pity Nick Palmer - years of being nice and polite and reasonable on here and Mike gives a 'front page' scoop with video link to his arch rival!! Those labour posters on here saying they agree with her must add insult to injury!!

I reserve the right to disagree with her about other things. ;)
  • Options
    Each to their own, it looked to me as if Soubry had been practicing that hammy speech all week, and still came across as unconvincing
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    I am impressed with both what she said and the way that Anna Soubry spoke. The tories really need more spokespeople like this that sound more like more of us. I don't go for all of Tim's posh fop nonsense but if there is a problem she, and people like her of both sexes, are the solution.
  • Options
    rcs1000

This may be hair splitting, but how do you know that some of the responses were not from British citizens with foreign sounding names?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Yes, you are right, Bobajob. Even you can't tell the difference between the Lab/Lib/Con party MP's and supporters . They are all the same, cut from the same cloth; all left leaning to various degrees. Not a decent right winger among them.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The political narrative changes for a while, to UKIP's detriment. I cannot express just how surprising I find that development.

It's almost as if we have built built someone up as being excellent in their chosen field and then want to knock them down soon after.... that's unpredented in the UK, no wonder you are so surprised.

I blame the romanians and their dodgy umbrellas.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think Anna Soubry's point is the crucial one, and it's one the MikeK and others fail to address: education and our benefits system has allowed the creation of a group of people who either have no marketable skills, or for whom work is not economically attractive.

I live in Hampstead, North London. We advertised in the local paper for a job for a part-time cleaner, paying £10 or £11/hour. We got about 100 responses. Of which none were from British citizens. None.

We live walking or short bus-ride distance from Brent, from Kilburn, from areas with quite serious unemployment. We are paying 40% more than minimum wage. Yet no British people even applied for the job.

That is not, I'm sure, because there are Brits who don't want the job. It is because the benefits system discourages people from working - especially working part-time. If all the immigrants went home, there wouldn't be 100 British people lining up for the job, instead we simply probably wouldn't have a cleaner, and I'd have a grumpy wife.
    If those immigrants are sending money home, £10/hour can be worth a lot more to them than a British person.

(Although not arguing against your main point).
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Farage will rue the day he decided on an asymettric attacks on Blue but not Red.

Meanwhile Peter Hain appears to be leading a filibuster to time out the referendum bill - no doubt the Kippers will be blaming Cameron for that.
  • Options
    IMHO, UKIP will poll somewhere in the range of 25-30% for the EU elections, and 20-25% per candidate in the local elections on the same day.

Of course, the Party will do far less well than that in the general election.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited November 2013
    Well, I watched the clip. Mike is right that Anna Soubry comes across very well.

To be fair, I've watched only that short clip which Mike posted, but on the basis of that excerpt Soubry was truly excellent, and Farage very poor. Farage trying to make out that the UKIP leaflet was accurate because in theory 27 million Romanians and Bulgarians could come (if they emptied the entire two countries and none went anywhere else) was particularly hilarious.

• Options
    taffys said:

rcs1000

This may be hair splitting, but how do you know that some of the responses were not from British citizens with foreign sounding names?

That's the kind of excellent question I don't know the answer to! I'm going off the word of my wife.

Anecdote alert number two. About three years ago when were also looking for a cleaner, we did get British people applying. But when my wife indicated that we were going to do it all properly with paying tax and NI, and everything, then the British people all dropped out.
  • Options
    I blame the romanians and their dodgy umbrellas.

Perhaps people are more inclined to see the upside to immigration when the economy is improving
  • Options
    @Mike

It is very hard to find a single issue on which Soubry is rightwing. She is well to the left on social issues and moderately centrist on economic ones. Must be among the most left wing Tories in the HoC.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    MikeK said:
    If the Conservative Party talk about energy, Farage says it's because they are frightened of UKIP. If they talk about jobs, Farage says it's because they are frightened of UKIP. If they talk about the weather, Farage says its because they are frightened of UKIP.

There is nothing the Conservative Party can say, without Farage saying it's because they are frightened of UKIP.

[Note edited to change "its" to "it's"]
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    MikeK said:

Bobajob said:

Yes, you are right, Bobajob. Even you can't tell the difference between the Lab/Lib/Con party MP's and supporters . They are all the same, cut from the same cloth; all left leaning to various degrees. Not a decent right winger among them.
    It's posts like this that suggest to me that, whatever Farage says or does, there is a core of voters who will go with UKIP come what may - they are not open to persuasion - all the other parties are the same, only UKIP will bring back the glorious Britain of the 1950s (or is it the 1850s? or 1980s?) and get rid of those pesky foreigners who are messing things up.

It's hard to say how much of the electorate takes this view, but I'd be surprised if it's less than 5%.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Bobajob said:

It is very hard to find a single issue on which Soubry is rightwing. She is well to the left on social issues and moderately centrist on economic ones. Must be among the most left wing Tories in the HoC.

She didn't sound very left-wing in that clip when she was talking about benefits and people 'choosing' not to work - in fact, a bit off-message in a rightwards direction.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    edited November 2013
    Not seen Soubry vs Farage yet but it seems to have massively alienated UKIPers, whilst pleasing Lib-Dem/Labour leaners. Will any Lib-Dems/Labour actually switch their votes to Conservative now, or will more conservatives on the right of the party head off to UKIP ?

Whatever - it seems it won't win back any kippers. Tim's post below seems to agree with that - though of course the Soubry effect if any has yet to sink in. Probably no change in the polls I reckon over the next week...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    rcs1000 said:

I thought that was most peculiar - Brits don't want to pick veg. It's back breaking piece work that Eastern Europeans think is pretty well paid compared to picking asparagus or turnips back in their homelands.

It's been like this for at least a decade. When I worked in Norfolk there were 30k Portuguese plucking turkeys and picking veg.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Sean_F said:

IMHO, UKIP will poll somewhere in the range of 25-30% for the EU elections, and 20-25% per candidate in the local elections on the same day.

Of course, the Party will do far less well than that in the general election.

UKIP does suffer from the fact that there are, as yet, no big sponsors or rather donations to the party and are always in need of cash. We are in a similar situation to PB itself. So come on PBers, empty your pockets in two good causes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not seen Soubry vs Farage yet but it seems to have massively alienated UKIPers, whilst pleasing Lib-Dem/Labour leaners. Will any Lib-Dems/Labour actually switch their votes to Conservative now, or will more conservatives on the right of the party head off to UKIP ?

Whatever - it seems it won't win back any kippers.

Ms Soubry may be playing to her seat a bit as well. Broxtowe is a fairly intellectual public sectorish middle class type of seat whose voters are not threatened by mass immigration in that they do not really compete for the same type of jobs. Big employers are the university and the Revenue & Customs
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:

Indeed. It's actually quite telling of what UKIP has become recently. They and their supporters seem to be content blaming everyone else for their problems. I know the EU has many failings and without reform it does not suit us to be involved, but UKIP are on a loser here. Too many people are on the dole when there are so many jobs available in all sectors. Every single sector in the UK is currently undergoing growth in jobs all over the country. As a group we currently have 327 jobs listed as open on our intranet ranging from administration and product assembly all the way up to business development managers and director level positions. Having a quick look through the applicants English names only start appearing for jobs that pay ~£18k or more. Below that level the names all look European. To say that we discriminate against UK people would be untrue, we just don't get the applications from British people for lower paid positions.

UKIP needs to move on from this argument, quickly. It is going to put big holes in their immigration argument as people slowly realise that there is an underclass of British people who just don't want to work and do the lower paid jobs.
  • Options
    Almost all the cleaners in my big Tesco are Spanish.

This is Eastbourne. We don't have a big unemployment problem - but that the largest supermarket has a huge Spanish unskilled work crew whilst Brits sit around watching TV tells me something.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

• Options
    Perhaps Ms Soubry is playing to the Tories for Palmer voters :^ )
    Pulpstar said:

Whatever - it seems it won't win back any kippers. Tim's post below seems to agree with that - though of course the Soubry effect if any has yet to sink in. Probably no change in the polls I reckon over the next week...

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

There's no reason at all why it would win back UKIP voters, whose opinion of the political class is very poor to begin with.

• Options
    Here is the whole show

Crowd laughing at Soubry's evasiveness at 03:45

Man describing himself "as a foreigner" complaining about lack of integration in Boston "it doesn't exist", immigrants deliberately rinsing the benefit system and loss of the British identity at 27:53

Soubry doesn't believe him at 28:53

Only the metropolitan elite refuse to believe it, even when immigrants admit it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhFL6vWoJ9k
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed. It's actually quite telling of what UKIP has become recently. They and their supporters seem to be content blaming everyone else for their problems. I know the EU has many failings and without reform it does not suit us to be involved, but UKIP are on a loser here. Too many people are on the dole when there are so many jobs available in all sectors. Every single sector in the UK is currently undergoing growth in jobs all over the country. As a group we currently have 327 jobs listed as open on our intranet ranging from administration and product assembly all the way up to business development managers and director level positions. Having a quick look through the applicants English names only start appearing for jobs that pay ~£18k or more. Below that level the names all look European. To say that we discriminate against UK people would be untrue, we just don't get the applications from British people for lower paid positions.

UKIP needs to move on from this argument, quickly. It is going to put big holes in their immigration argument as people slowly realise that there is an underclass of British people who just don't want to work and do the lower paid jobs.
    That's mostly fair. Even when the economy is growing strongly, there seems to be permanent unemployment of 1.5m/

• Options
    When I worked in Norfolk there were 30k Portuguese plucking turkeys and picking veg.

I was reading last night in the Evening Standard the plans that the chinese have for investment in London, Mindboggling. Incredible. stunning. And very exciting. and these are the ones that we know about.

Are we seriously going to shut the door to all that? We'd be mad to.

In my book, there are a handful of countries causing all the trouble with regard to immigration. Just a handful.
  • Options
    More interesting than Ms Soubry's personal performance is whether Mike is right that her approach heralds a new strategy from the Tories to deal with UKIP. As Carlotta says early in the thread, that might be over-optimistic in terms of the quality of Conservative message-management, but maybe Tory MPs will gradually stop behaving like frightened rabbits in Farage's headlights and start addressing the nonsense head-on.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Pulpstar said:

This is precisely the point. There are no more votes for the Conservatives to the left, and no matter how much this speech pleases 70% of the electorate, it won't win any votes and makes the recovery of the right flank even harder.
  • Options
    ... and Benjamin Zephaniah wtf?

Conning a living doesn't come close
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sourby rightly positions Farage as a toff version of Victor Meldrew - without the jokes.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Harrow On The Hill result Labour hold
    Lab 991 Con 836 Ind 308 Harrow1st 173 UKIP 168 LD 70
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

This is precisely the point. There are no more votes for the Conservatives to the left, and no matter how much this speech pleases 70% of the electorate, it won't win any votes and makes the recovery of the right flank even harder.
    maarsh: is that true? The danger about swinging right (i.e. towards UKIP) is that you lose to the LibDems in places like Richmond, and that you lose the financial support of the business community - most of whom are firmly in favour of remaining in the EU.
  • Options

maybe Tory MPs will gradually stop behaving like frightened rabbits in Farage's headlights and start addressing the nonsense head-on.

That was my impression - local MP fed up to the back teeth with UKIP came out swinging.....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

maarsh: is that true? The danger about swinging right (i.e. towards UKIP) is that you lose to the LibDems in places like Richmond, and that you lose the financial support of the business community - most of whom are firmly in favour of remaining in the EU.
    Refraining from attacking someone who your ex voters (and potential future voters) consider a 'good thing' in terms which make it feel like they are personally being attacked, is not swinging right.

It's not particularly about policy - that's a separate debate. Step one is to stop calling the voters who you need to win nasty names.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

Refraining from attacking someone who your ex voters (and potential future voters) consider a 'good thing' in terms which make it feel like they are personally being attacked, is not swinging right.

It's not particularly about policy - that's a separate debate. Step one is to stop calling the voters who you need to win nasty names.
    I think QT was "step one".

Quote facts to pin the blame on the scare-monger and not the scared.

I do think that there has been over-immigration recently in this country (thanks, Labour), and it has caused problems. But UKIP's scapegoating of immigrants is not the answer.
  • Options

More interesting than Ms Soubry's personal performance is whether Mike is right that her approach heralds a new strategy from the Tories to deal with UKIP. As Carlotta says early in the thread, that might be over-optimistic in terms of the quality of Conservative message-management, but maybe Tory MPs will gradually stop behaving like frightened rabbits in Farage's headlights and start addressing the nonsense head-on.

Currently, about 5/6% of the voters are people who supported the Conservatives at the last election, but now say they support UKIP. Will Anna Soubry win them back?
  • Options

Harrow On The Hill result Labour hold
    Lab 991 Con 836 Ind 308 Harrow1st 173 UKIP 168 LD 70

Solid but not spectacular Labour hold - dire for Lib Dems & UKIP on 6.6%.......we were saying?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2013
    Anna Soubry = The British Army

Nigel Farage and UKIP = The Fuzzy Wuzzies

They do not like it up 'em.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

rcs1000

That's the kind of excellent question I don't know the answer to! I'm going off the word of my wife.

Anecdote alert number two. About three years ago when were also looking for a cleaner, we did get British people applying. But when my wife indicated that we were going to do it all properly with paying tax and NI, and everything, then the British people all dropped out.
    Can't you get dad to pop a pinny on and whizz the hoover around ??

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Sean_F said:

Currently, about 5/6% of the voters are people who supported the Conservatives at the last election, but now say they support UKIP. Will Anna Soubry win them back?

I'd have thought that sort of performance (assuming of course it's repeated and carried though) would do so, inasmuch as anything a politician says can do. She was very tough-sounding on welfare and people 'choosing not to work'. I'd have thought that would go down well with the sort of UKIP-leaning voter who is not necessarily adamant that we should leave the EU but is generally unhappy with the perceived something-for-nothing culture.
  • Options
    JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

rcs1000

Is this the modern equivalent to the moan that ' you can just not get the right class of servant these days!'
  • Options
    Next said:

maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

Pulpstar said:

I think QT was "step one".

Quote facts to pin the blame on the scare-monger and not the scared.

I do think that there has been over-immigration recently in this country (thanks, Labour), and it has caused problems. But UKIP's scapegoating of immigrants is not the answer.
    Well, if that's step 1, I don't think you're heading off on a path intended to win back voters from UKIP - preaching to the wrong choir, plain and simple.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MikeK

'I saw the whole QT and while Nigel wasn't at his shining best he easily outshone the rest of the panel . Anna Soubry was particularly dreadful.'

Get real,Soubry wiped the floor with Farage,beyond the EU & the Niqab, Farage has got nothing to say.
  • Options
    With all this gushing praise for Ms Soubry expect the next post from Nick Palmer to be along the lines of Farage is not bad actually.
  • Options
    I hope Mike is right and this is the start of a new strategy by The Tory Party.

We've been playing defence not offence when it comes to UKIP.

Time for Cameron to stop being Varro and time to play the role of Scipio.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,968
    For a long time UKIP have been spouting nonsense on a whole range of topics, not just immigration. And they've been getting away with it because the tory right have been trying to use their rise to gain leverage on the part's leadership and strategic direction, and Labour have kept quiet because of the electoral damage UKIP might inflict on the tories. Continued attacks - such as Soubry's - on what they are saying, rather than on them, or their supporters, is ultimately going to be the only effective away to challenge them.
  • Options

Basically the Tory strategy should be a unified approach both as regards snake-oil from the left and snake-oil from the right. Both Miliband and Farage do the same thing: find a genuine concern and play on it. The Tory response should not be to deny the concern, but to concentrate on the message that to address these deep-rooted problems we need serious long-term solutions - in this case, the reforms to immigration, welfare and education which the government is carrying out.
  • Options
    'I don't like your tone Mr Farage': Tory minister launches devastating attack on UKIP leader putting 'fear in people's hearts' about immigration
    Anna Soubry tears into UK Independence Party leader Nigel Farage
    The pair clashed on BBC's Question Time over immigration controls
    Defence minister says UKIP spread prejudice about eastern Europeans

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492481/Anna-Soubry-accuses-UKIPs-Nigel-Farage-putting-fear-peoples-hearts.html#ixzz2k4HhUSi1

I think it would be fair to say Mail readers are not happy.....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

rcs1000 said:

taffys said:

rcs1000

Is this the modern equivalent to the moan that ' you can just not get the right class of servant these days!'
    In contrast to Robert over the decades, and perhaps more relevantly recently, I've only ever had to my knowledge a couple of clearly overseas applicants apply for positions.

Mind you in parts of the Highlands coming from the next village or different clan was considered until recently as dangerously foreign !!

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, are you actually accusing Varro of not being aggressive enough?
  • Options
    @TSE

Are there votes available to the left? (Not saying there aren't, just asking)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The weather. Jeez.

Steve Wright in the afternoon just told me it would be sunset at 4.25pm... looked outside and its already dark here in Upminster

Soubry's not winning anyone back she's just shoring up the LibLabCon vote. Think SeanT is the only possible Kipper waverer on here so why should it be a surprise that all the other posters are championing Soubry?
  • Options
    One of the problems with what may be a new Tory strategy is that a lot of Tories actually agree with Farage. Is Soubry's line one that could or would be peddled by the party's right wing?
  • Options
    I pay no attention to Mail or DT readers' comments on political stories - they're packed with tribes from various sides adding their 2p for zero charge.

I prefer the Times comments - at least you have to pay to leave a comment so are less likely to be trying to Twittermob articles.

'I don't like your tone Mr Farage': Tory minister launches devastating attack on UKIP leader putting 'fear in people's hearts' about immigration

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2492481/Anna-Soubry-accuses-UKIPs-Nigel-Farage-putting-fear-peoples-hearts.html#ixzz2k4HhUSi1

• Options

Well, there you are. Times or Economist readers will side with Anna Soubry. Mail readers will side with Nigel Farage.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited November 2013
    Anna Soubry is right on this point as @rcs1000 has argued, but if she had any integrity she would resign from a government that has been doing it all it can to restrict freedom in the labour market for pernicious reasons. She is a member of an administration which introduced a repulsively authoritarian Immigration Bill that David Blunkett would have been proud of. There is no principle behind her position, merely posturing. For that reason, Farage is worthy of more respect. He is wrong on this issue, but at least he has been consistently wrong.
  • Options

100% positive for Farage/Negative for Soubry in the Nations 2nd most popular paper...

PB LibLabCons, Tories, Kinnocks, whatever names you call each other in your little circle, declare it a victory for Soubry....

Hmmm

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    COMPLETELY OT. For non film buffs but for the type of person who could talk endlessly about a high speed train......in other words political posters. Go and watch 'Gravity'. One of the most arresting first 30 minutes of a film I've seen and possibly a step advance in film making technique.
  • Options
    Off topic: did I miss the RIP John Cole on a different thread? Anyway, RIP we shall not see the like again
  • Options

One of the problems with what may be a new Tory strategy is that a lot of Tories actually agree with Farage. Is Soubry's line one that could or would be peddled by the party's right wing?

After politicians like Soubry told people not to worry and there would a few thousand migrants at previous accessions, now that we've seen what really happened it is beyond ridiculous for that side of the debate to shout 'scaremongering' and not something which will be remotely persuasive to most UKIP voters.

Of course it is scare mongering to Soubry, given that she considers immigration to be, holistically, a good thing, and so a bit of wobble on the numbers really doesn't change the picture. She obviously struggles to empathise with the section of voters she requires, for whom immigration is not a net good.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    maaarsh said:

After politicians like Soubry told people not to worry and there would a few thousand migrants at previous accessions, now that we've seen what really happened it is beyond ridiculous for that side of the debate to shout 'scaremongering' and not something which will be remotely persuasive to most UKIP voters.

Of course it is scare mongering to Soubry, given that she considers immigration to be, holistically, a good thing, and so a bit of wobble on the numbers really doesn't change the picture. She obviously struggles to empathise with the section of voters she requires, for whom immigration is not a net good.

Very well put maaarsh
  • Options

I'm just saying Varro's tactics and strategy were just wrong against someone as overrated as the Son of Barca, as Scipio proved.
  • Options
    isam said:

100% positive for Farage/Negative for Soubry in the Nations 2nd most popular paper...

PB LibLabCons, Tories, Kinnocks, whatever names you call each other in your little circle, declare it a victory for Soubry....

Hmmm

Farage and Miliband are both engaging in populism.

Whether it's immigration or cost-of-living there are genuine concerns, but they provide simplistic and impractical "answers".

• Options
    Roger said:

COMPLETELY OT. For non film buffs but for the type of person who could talk endlessly about a high speed train......in other words political posters. Go and watch 'Gravity'. One of the most arresting first 30 minutes of a film I've seen and possibly a step advance in film making technique.

I saw Gravity last night, in glorious IMAX.

I have to say it was the best set in space since 2001.

Though 2001 had the better soundtrack, the geek in me, noted a few scientific inaccuracies in the film.
  • Options
    tim said:

Basically the Tory strategy should be a unified approach both as regards snake-oil from the left and snake-oil from the right. Both Miliband and Farage do the same thing: find a genuine concern and play on it. The Tory response should not be to deny the concern, but to concentrate on the message that to address these deep-rooted problems we need serious long-term solutions - in this case, the reforms to immigration, welfare and education which the government is carrying out.
    What reforms on immigration, the points system was in place and Britian remains in the EU with free movement.
    All Cameron has done is keep some students out.

You try and oversell that and you'll come a cropper and get outflanked again.
    You have to take these people on directly, including the ones on your own backbenches and those like IdS and Lynton Crosby who are UKIPs little helpers vilifying immigrants.

Cameron has to stand up and defend the right of Brits to work in Europe and Bulgarians to work here,
    Your argument is that the Conservatives should be trying to pitch their appeal to you, although you would never vote Conservative. It would be like me arguing that Ed Milliband should pitch his appeal to me.

• Options
    Plato said:

I pay no attention to Mail or DT readers' comments on political stories - they're packed with tribes from various sides adding their 2p for zero charge.

I prefer the Times comments - at least you have to pay to leave a comment so are less likely to be trying to Twittermob articles.

Is that a way of saying you pay no attention to views other than those you agree with #edmondswidget
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, you specifically referenced offence and defence.

If only you paid more attention to my efforts to educate you such an elementary mistake as considering Varro too cautious would not be made.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I watched QT for the first time in ages as it was from my old home town.

Anna Soubry does a very good Thatcher impression, it was spooky. But I was never a Thatcher fan so I wasn't impressed.

Farage did make a serious point about immigration "management" being impossible in the EU, and no one really answered it. Immigration may well be a financial plus for the area but the problems it causes are real. Emily T even mumbled a sort of apology for getting it wrong. But lessons have been learned, let's put a line under it and move on. Forget it ever happened type of thing.

My nephews didn't have the choice of land-work as I did (most of my out-of-school hours in the season from age 13 to 17) because the farmers prefer immigrants who work hard and don't complain. Good for the country (and the farmers), bad for the local youths.

This helps the sense of alienation from politics. We know what's best for you so just suck it up. If you moan, it's because you don't understand the benefits, you're racist, or you're too stupid to look at the bigger picture.

Farage stands accused of being a populist - exactly what Ed and Cammo are on a regular basis.

Vicky Pryce will never make a politician but I thought she came over best. And I reckon Nick P will beat Mrs T in 2015
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited November 2013
    Bobajob said:

@TSE

Are there votes available to the left? (Not saying there aren't, just asking)

There are, I don't think that's where the votes are.

I think if the Tories can frame the debate on say, inter alia, benefit reform, and the polling shows the Tories doing well there, despite having IDS in charge.

Labour is losing argument over benefit reform, says Ed Miliband aide

Polling expert Mr Morris told a trade union meeting that voters on average backed David Cameron’s reforms by about two to one — but that among Labour-Conservative swing voters the divide was a huge 64 per cent to nine per cent.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-is-losing-argument-over-benefit-reform-says-ed-miliband-aide-8929119.html
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, you specifically referenced offence and defence.

If only you paid more attention to my efforts to educate you such an elementary mistake as considering Varro too cautious would not be made.

I was generalising, Varro and Hannibal were losers, Scipio was not.
  • Options

I'm just saying Varro's tactics and strategy were just wrong against someone as overrated as the Son of Barca, as Scipio proved.
    Varro's problem was that he underrated Hannibal as an opponent.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    isam said:

maaarsh said:

Very well put maaarsh
    Have you had yours today iSam ;) ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Yes because they will frame it as a crackdown on scroungers.
  • Options
    Next said:

isam said:

Hmmm

Farage and Miliband are both engaging in populism.

Whether it's immigration or cost-of-living there are genuine concerns, but they provide simplistic and impractical "answers".

There is nothing impractical about withdrawal from the EU. Once that is achieved then it will be possible to decide the numbers of immigrants who enter the country to meet our needs. To stop all immigration would be stupidly suicidal. To make sure we have proper controls on immigration so that the numbers can be properly managed is eminently sensible but something that is impossible as long as we remain in the EU.

In some areas we need more rather than less immigration. Funnily enough Farage would probably disagree with me on where some of those areas are but we would at least be able, as a country, to have the debate which is simply not practical at the moment under our current arrangements.

The 'simplistic' answer is the one being provided by Cameron and Soubry which seeks to make people believe we can have any control on migration whilst still remaining in the EU. That is simply a lie.
This discussion has been closed.