Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination moves t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight the fight for the WH2020 Democratic nomination moves to the debate stage with Biden leading in the betting followed by Warren

Betdata.io chart of movement on the Betfair exchange

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    First!
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Wondering if the debate setup could benefit Bernie, he'll be the lefty candidate in the main debate with Biden and other big hitters (aside from Warren) whereas Warren ends up in the secondary debate.

I'm hoping Biden will fall away as we get closer but his support has been pretty solid so far.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Agree Joe looks too short, the market is a bit of a mess wth 5 candidates below 10s. One of them has to win it, but no one looks strong.

It's a layers market right now
  • Options
    Mike - you seem fixated on Biden's supposed 'gaffes'. Maybe it's worth reminding ourselves of the incumbent for some context. If someone who talks about assaulting women can be elected, I'm pretty sure Biden can.

PB perceived wisdom:

1) May's Brexit deal will pass eventually.

2) Boris Johnson won't get to a membership ballot because conservative MP's will block him.

3) Joe Biden won't be the democratic nominee, because he ripped a speech from Neil Kinnock 30 years ago.

On this form I'd be backing Biden!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141

Mike - you seem fixated on Biden's supposed 'gaffes'. Maybe it's worth reminding ourselves of the incumbent for some context. If someone who talks about assaulting women can be elected, I'm pretty sure Biden can.

I don't think they're really comparable since Trump was elected by Republicans, whereas Biden has to get elected by Democrats.

But it's definitely helpful to Biden that for each of his flaws, Trump has the same flaw but worse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

PB perceived wisdom:

2) Boris Johnson won't get to a membership ballot because conservative MP's will block him.

3) Joe Biden won't be the democratic nominee, because he ripped a speech from Neil Kinnock 30 years ago.

Seems reasonable on the face of it.
  • Options

Not only are there 10 candidates in tomorrow's Dem debate, there are 5 moderators. OTT+

That's an absurd number of moderators, they'll need to cut in all the time to justify being there.

In other matters, looks like Paisley is in trouble again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48763922

That trip to the Maldives just keeps on causing him issues.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

PB perceived wisdom:

Re Boris being blocked by MPs: that was due mainly to me; I'm not sure others were persuaded; the opposing HYUFD tendency was perhaps stronger. I was wrong, and so (as I suspect many of them can now see) were the MPs.

On speeches, something Mayor Pete said on one video put me in mind of Gordon Brown, though it is perhaps more likely there was a common ancestor than that Buttigieg is a particular fan of our finest prime minister in the last ten years.

• Options
    Mayor Pete seems to have run into trouble overnight over his response to police shooting a Black man.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-police-shooting-town-hall-video-2020-campaign-a8973046.html

No doubt one or more of his opponents is stirring things up but many outlets have the same story, as a quick search testifies.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

Mayor Pete seems to have run into trouble overnight over his response to police shooting a Black man.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pete-buttigieg-south-bend-police-shooting-town-hall-video-2020-campaign-a8973046.html

No doubt one or more of his opponents is stirring things up but many outlets have the same story, as a quick search testifies.

From the article

That was a silly response, as I'm sure he would have realised by now. He doesn't really have any Black support to lose but probably the only way he was going to be a serious contender was to improve that, the demographics of his supporters is just too limited.

The interesting thing is where his support goes if he drops. Wouldn't have them down as Biden supporters.

• Options

From the article

That was a silly response, as I'm sure he would have realised by now. He doesn't really have any Black support to lose but probably the only way he was going to be a serious contender was to improve that, the demographics of his supporters is just too limited.

The interesting thing is where his support goes if he drops. Wouldn't have them down as Biden supporters.

My own view right now is there are too many runners to follow, especially with so much happening over here, so I'll wait till the field thins a bit.

I'd not imagine anyone's support will transfer to Biden. The man was vice-president for eight years so surely anyone who wants to support him already does.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    Roger said:

Don't you worry that half your MPs didn't vote for him in the final round even knowing he was a certainty to win? They were prepared to vote for a loser rather than give him a rousing victory.. I suspect that will be reflected among Tory voters throughout the land

For a start the vote for second place was the issue, so votes for Hunt or Gove were meaningful.

Secondly I'm really troubled with what this suggests about today's politics. It suggests that you should be backing a winner rather than who you think is the better candidate. It suggests that once someone has voted for party leader they won't then support the person who is elected. This is a symptom of the main parties splintering which we have seen in GB and the US.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Elizabeth Warren seems to be unlucky in the line-up. Most people who choose will watch the other one because it has all the other favourites.
  • Options

Elizabeth Warren seems to be unlucky in the line-up. Most people who choose will watch the other one because it has all the other favourites.

Yes, although it should perhaps be easier for Warren to "win" the weaker debate, assuming the other speakers do not gang up on her, and so lead the field for 24 hours.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Historically, do favourites tend to win Democrat nominations?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    kle4 said:

Not only are there 10 candidates in tomorrow's Dem debate, there are 5 moderators. OTT+

That's an absurd number of moderators, they'll need to cut in all the time to justify being there.

In other matters, looks like Paisley is in trouble again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-48763922

That trip to the Maldives just keeps on causing him issues.
    Can't remember his dad ever doing things like that!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Telegraph: 'Boris hires Iain Duncan Smith to get campaign back on track'. Short of de-railing Grayling, I can't think of anyone less likely to get it 'back on track'.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Telegraph: 'Boris hires Iain Duncan Smith to get campaign back on track'. Short of de-railing Grayling, I can't think of anyone less likely to get it 'back on track'.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1143595926105272321
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

PB perceived wisdom:

Re Boris being blocked by MPs: that was due mainly to me; I'm not sure others were persuaded; the opposing HYUFD tendency was perhaps stronger. I was wrong, and so (as I suspect many of them can now see) were the MPs.

On speeches, something Mayor Pete said on one video put me in mind of Gordon Brown, though it is perhaps more likely there was a common ancestor than that Buttigieg is a particular fan of our finest prime minister in the last ten years.

As regards Boris and the MPs, you weren't wrong initially but the facts changed.

Like so many on here, I layed him heavily for a long time on the observation that his own MPs wouldn't support him. This was my own judgement as well as that of numerous informed pundits here and elsewhere that I have trusted before and still do. The change came with the Euro elections and the Conservative slump in the opinion polls. Boris began to appear as the only Leader likely to prevent a meltdown and a number of MPs changed their mind and decided he wouldn't perhaps be so bad after all.

I was slow to spot that and paid the usual price as punters do when they are slow to note a change in the going, but that's punting. You can't win them all.
  • Options
    The only person BoZo really loves...

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:
    If that cardboard bus doesn’t have £350 million written on the side somewhere, both copy boy and editor should be sacked.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Good morning, everyone.

When was there last a field this large? Mostly, the nominee is fairly obvious, Hillary last time, or the sitting president or vice president.

Bill Clinton won the 1988 nomination when the favourite, Gary Hart, dropped out over the Donna Rice affair. There was a film made last year about this, The Front Runner, starring Hugh Jackman. I am holding the DVD up to the webcam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Rl2XZC0II

The GOP race last time had a similarly crowded field and the presumed good things failed one after another.

So in a highly contested field, lay the favourite!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1143595926105272321
    Throw Gavin Williamson into the mix, and that's quite a collection of incompetents he's surrounded himself with. Guess they'll all have to be rewarded with jobs - God help us all.
  • Options

Throw Gavin Williamson into the mix, and that's quite a collection of incompetents he's surrounded himself with. Guess they'll all have to be rewarded with jobs - God help us all.

Assuming he has time to appoint a cabinet before the VONC...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited June 2019

Bill Clinton won the 1988 nomination when the favourite, Gary Hart, dropped out over the Donna Rice affair.

Do you mean Michael Dukakis? Clinton was 1992.

Incidentally, Hart was struggling in the primaries even before he was caught after that daft challenge he issued. It's one reason why he said it.

(Edited for putting down the 1984 nominee by mistake, amusingly.)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Bill Clinton won the 1988 nomination when the favourite, Gary Hart, dropped out over the Donna Rice affair.

Incidentally, Hart was struggling in the primaries even before he was caught after that daft challenge he issued. It's one reason why he said it.

Most likely. I did not want to spoil MD's enjoyment of the film. :wink::blush:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Its a peculiar choice because of its symbolism; whilst I guess IDS is respected within Tory circles, less so beyond, it inevitably reminds people of his period of leadership, and it is not obvious what leadership or campaigning skills he has to deploy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    IanB2 said:

Its a peculiar choice because of its symbolism; whilst I guess IDS is respected within Tory circles, less so beyond, it inevitably reminds people of his period of leadership, and it is not obvious what leadership or campaigning skills he has to deploy.
    Beware the march of IDS.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

ydoethur said:

The idea of Gary Hart pulling out (no pun intended) over a sex scandal and Bill Clinton being the beneficiary would have been absolutely delicious.

But unfortunately it didn't happen that way.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IDS won his own leadership election and did surprisingly well at the ballot box; the plotters overlooked that when they deposed him, and certainly his replacement, Michael Howard, flopped at the general election. I'd not want IDS's advice on speechwriting or PMQs, mind, let alone benefits policy.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Don't you worry that half your MPs didn't vote for him in the final round even knowing he was a certainty to win? They were prepared to vote for a loser rather than give him a rousing victory.. I suspect that will be reflected among Tory voters throughout the land

For a start the vote for second place was the issue, so votes for Hunt or Gove were meaningful.

Secondly I'm really troubled with what this suggests about today's politics. It suggests that you should be backing a winner rather than who you think is the better candidate. It suggests that once someone has voted for party leader they won't then support the person who is elected. This is a symptom of the main parties splintering which we have seen in GB and the US.

I agree, from the Labour side. This is the debate we had when Corbyn was elected and then challenged - Mike and others insisted that the first priority was to pick someone who was likely to win, but most of us decided to vote for the candidate who seemed best to us and worry about winning after that. I have to say it's not working out well at the moment, but I'd do the same again - there is just no point in politics if you vote for someone whose policies seem vacuous merely because they have an agreeable vote-winning personality.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited June 2019
    @NickPalmer do you think it’s a given that the Labour Brexit position will be changed at conference?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

Good morning, everyone.

When was there last a field this large? Mostly, the nominee is fairly obvious, Hillary last time, or the sitting president or vice president.

Bill Clinton won the 1988 nomination when the favourite, Gary Hart, dropped out over the Donna Rice affair. There was a film made last year about this, The Front Runner, starring Hugh Jackman. I am holding the DVD up to the webcam.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Rl2XZC0II

The GOP race last time had a similarly crowded field and the presumed good things failed one after another.

So in a highly contested field, lay the favourite!
    "Lay the Favourite" is a tactic that becomes poorer as the race closes, so poor advice for punters to bet on Boris now.

The tactic is like joining a speculative bubble with the intention to sell to a mug at the peak. Get the timing wrong and you are the mug.

Fortunately in the POTUS market we know when the event is, less so for example a Labour Leaders contest.

I cannot see Biden going the distance, so am on Warren for Candidate, and a couple of outsiders. I wouldn't bet on her for POTUS though.

• Options
    Dr. Foxy, best tactic I had was being immensely lucky with the timing of almost every single announcement at the leadership contest for the Lib Dems (that saw Cable win, not the current one). By chance, I'd backed Swinson the day before the contest was known. Her odds fell sharply so I laid, and thought it'd just be nice and green either way.

But I was online when she withdrew, so I backed the other candidates (only about 4 or so), and the same thing happened again. It was only the final withdrawal (maybe Davey) I missed.

It turns out being really lucky helps with betting.

#experttips
  • Options
    If it happens and things go pear shaped, that 28% will rapidly melt away. If the Tories go down that path, what will matter is what people think of it afterwards, not in advance.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Scott_P said:
    The real question is no deal brexit leaving the Eu with a deal that allows tariff free trade to continue? There is only one departure with a deal, the WA, but then we will go round in circles and come back tp ‘they need us more than we need them’ and ‘we hold all the cards’.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited June 2019

Good spot. He's layable at 9.0 too

Here's another

Cory Booker, who is actually running and is having a small mini surge is backable at 65, the same price you can lay Hillary Clinton (Who isn't running) at.

Michelle Obama is another clear lay.

If your book is large enough size you can pick up a few more pennies laying Oprah Winfrey.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

But Warren’s debate is first, and indications are that just as many will watch it.
    I think it might conceivably help her - particularly as it’s in most of the strugglers’ interests to take shots at Biden rather than her.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    But given a choice in some poll last month by some provider 72% chose unicorns over remain.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    IanB2 said:

If it happens and things go pear shaped, that 28% will rapidly melt away. If the Tories go down that path, what will matter is what people think of it afterwards, not in advance.
    IanB2 said:

Exactly. And of course even people who like the idea of no deal are still going to be cheesed off with adverse consequences of it even if they don't make the link.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IDS won his own leadership election and did surprisingly well at the ballot box; the plotters overlooked that when they deposed him, and certainly his replacement, Michael Howard, flopped at the general election. I'd not want IDS's advice on speechwriting or PMQs, mind, let alone benefits policy.
    The first was simply a question of not being Ken Clarke, when the EU issue was becoming more salient. The second was simply a matter of the pre-1997 cycle of local elections having been the nadir for the Tories, with successive cycles recovering some ground. Hence the Tories made gains under Hague in 1999 compared to the nadir at 1995, made gains under IDS in 2003, and under Cameron in 2007, all the same round of local elections. If you look at IDS’s gains compared to Hague’s and Cameron’s, they were more modest than either.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

I agree, from the Labour side. This is the debate we had when Corbyn was elected and then challenged - Mike and others insisted that the first priority was to pick someone who was likely to win, but most of us decided to vote for the candidate who seemed best to us and worry about winning after that. I have to say it's not working out well at the moment, but I'd do the same again - there is just no point in politics if you vote for someone whose policies seem vacuous merely because they have an agreeable vote-winning personality.
    You need someone who can lead on policy AND connect with the electorate.

Preaching to the converted (which is what Corbyn does) is as pointless as reaching a broad audience, but having nothing interesting to say.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Johnson is promising higher public spending, lower taxes and an almost inevitable No Deal Brexit. It's the Magic Money Tree + Fuck Business. I am genuinely struggling to understand how this is better than the prospectus Corbyn and McDonnell are offering. At least they are opposed to a No Deal. The Tories are utterly destroying any reputation they have left for economic confidence - and if that YouGov poll is in any way reflective of public opinion they are going to get absolutely hammered for it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Johnson is promising higher public spending, lower taxes and an almost inevitable No Deal Brexit. It's the Magic Money Tree + Fuck Business. I am genuinely struggling to understand how this is better than the prospectus Corbyn and McDonnell are offering. At least they are opposed to a No Deal. The Tories are utterly destroying any reputation they have left for economic confidence - and if that YouGov poll is in any way reflective of public opinion they are going to get absolutely hammered for it.

sounds very New Labour

you should vote for him
  • Options

The 2017 Labour manifesto was modest and pragmatic, more sensible and less ideologically driven than the stuff coming out the Tories right now.

Without exaggeration, Corbyn is currently the more conservative, pragmatic option for PM. That is a measure of how far we have come.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Yep, the self-indulgence of largely comfortably-off Labour and Tory members, who are generally protected from the choices they make, have set the country on a path towards catastrophe. The power of unrepresentative party memberships in a first-past-the-post system is another reason why reform is so necessary - a tiny minority get to set the course of the nation. Of course, that's also why we won't get reform.

• Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Warren would be Trump's dream candidate.
  • Options
    I remain totally unconvinced of the 76 yer old favourite who has a reputation for being gaff-prone, something reinforced by his comments about working with segregationists during his early career....

But you don’t have to be convinced, Mike.
    The gaffes thus far have been of limited impact. He remains very popular indeed in the party, and even among those who really, truly don’t want him as the candidate, there remains a determination that they’d vote for him in a heartbeat anyway while the alternative is Trump.

Unless his electability UPS takes a significant hit, it’s not easy to see how the dynamic changes. Look at his most recent figures in the big swing states to see how high a hurdle his challengers have.
    In a perverse sense, even the latest gaffe reinforces his electability pitch among his more committed supporters, as 538 points out:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-will-bidens-latest-comments-affect-his-standing-in-the-democratic-primary/

His is the overwhelming favourite for a reason. His position is very strong.... but possibly very brittle, too.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    At current prices starting De Novo I reckon something like

Biden - Green
    Warren - Green
    Buttigieg - Lay, Red (Max right now)
    Sanders - Neutral
    Harris - Lay, Red
    Yang - Lay, Red
    Beto - Neutral
    Klobuchar - Neutral
    Gabbard - Lay, Red
    Clinton, Obama, Winfrey - Lay depending on book size to max Red
    Booker - Back, green

I'd be wary of laying Joe at 9-4 personally (And I'm not). He could blow it but if the contest remains as is (Hey it might not) then he'd be 4-9 with the polling or shorter.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

That is the conventional wisdom, but I’m not entirely convinced.
    Having weathered the attacks which most thought had sunk her bid completely, she’d be much less vulnerable the second time round.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

You miss out leaving using WTO Gatt article 24 which requires both sides (us and the EU) to agree to use it while we don't provide any reason for the EU to agree to it..
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

Yep, the self-indulgence of largely comfortably-off Labour and Tory members, who are generally protected from the choices they make, have set the country on a path towards catastrophe. The power of unrepresentative party memberships in a first-past-the-post system is another reason why reform is so necessary - a tiny minority get to set the course of the nation. Of course, that's also why we won't get reform.

The slight problem with Corbyn is that he doesn't have voter appeal or the required skills to be PM, and there has been no evidence that he has acquired them since becoming LoTO. Boris Johnson, on the other hand, is believed by some to have voter appeal (I think that is flaky myself), but like Corbyn, has no record of achievement in either government or opposition. They are both empty vessels. There are numerous individuals in both parties that are miles more qualified to be PM.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The idea of Gary Hart pulling out (no pun intended) over a sex scandal and Bill Clinton being the beneficiary would have been absolutely delicious.

But unfortunately it didn't happen that way.
    And yet of the two, Hart was, and is far more principled.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    A lot will come down to the performance of the US economy, as per James Carville's famous phrase. If, as seems increasingly likely, the economy is in a bad place in the summer of 2020, then the Democrats will have a great shot at the presidency, and the best shot if they pick someone who has intelligent-sounding but imaginative things to say about America's economic problems and well developed plans to rectify them. Right now that person looks to be Warren.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The 2017 Labour manifesto was modest and pragmatic, more sensible and less ideologically driven than the stuff coming out the Tories right now.

Without exaggeration, Corbyn is currently the more conservative, pragmatic option for PM. That is a measure of how far we have come.

The problem Labour has is that the next election is set up to be a Sophie's Choice for millions around which leader you are least opposed to being PM. Corbyn trails even Johnson on that front - not because of his economic policies, but because of a long-held and instinctive anti-UK/anti-West world view that no Tory leader is ever going to have. It's for that reason I suspect Johnson will be the last Tory PM of my lifetime, but that I will only see another Labour one if I live until the mid-2020s.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

I can believe it. Corbyn, I believe, would be awful, and we know so many of his skeletons now. I shall not vote for his party. But while the idea people are restrained in office is not something one can rely on, he is not the same as he was when he got the job, for better and worse.

The tories are regressing and openly admit that they would rather destroy the uk than not Brexit, heck theyd rather do that than Brexit the wrong way. Add in that they will splurge like mad to try to buy votes to cover their incompetence if the past few years and Boris and Hunt dont look pragmatic on the least.

We will likely find out how bad Corbyn could be. But it's not hugely scary.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

The slight problem with Corbyn is that he doesn't have voter appeal or the required skills to be PM, and there has been no evidence that he has acquired them since becoming LoTO. Boris Johnson, on the other hand, is believed by some to have voter appeal (I think that is flaky myself), but like Corbyn, has no record of achievement in either government or opposition. They are both empty vessels. There are numerous individuals in both parties that are miles more qualified to be PM.
    Corbyn does have voter appeal. He is far more charismatic than most politicians. In the 2017 election he was impressive on the stump. The fact Labour ended up with 40% owed a lot to that.

The problem is he doesn’t really want to reach beyond his base. He is very happy in his comfort zone and seemingly doesn’t want to reach or represent those that don’t completely agree with him.

It’s frustrating, because if he could look beyond his backyard he could be successful. He is badly advised.
  • Options
    eek said:

You miss out leaving using WTO Gatt article 24 which requires both sides (us and the EU) to agree to use it while we don't provide any reason for the EU to agree to it..

The GATT nonsense is just mendacious Unicorn-chasing designed to provide plausibility to a credulous Tory membership. No-one serious believes it will survive contact with the real world. Johnson will have no choice but to find a way to take the UK out of the EU by 31st October. He has placed himself in a position where he has no alternative if he wishes to survive politically.

• Options
    eek said:

The thinking seems to be that they will because it is in their best interests in that scenario(I dont know if that is true but it appears to be the thinking), but if nations always did that both we and the EU would have done some things very differently.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

eek said:

The GATT nonsense is just mendacious Unicorn-chasing designed to provide plausibility to a credulous Tory membership. No-one serious believes it will survive contact with the real world. Johnson will have no choice but to find a way to take the UK out of the EU by 31st October. He has placed himself in a position where he has no alternative if he wishes to survive politically.

Which is going to be fun as May's deal is the only option unless he gets an election on July 25th.

He's backed himself into a corner without even realising it..
  • Options

sounds very New Labour

you should vote for him

My guess is that New labour would not have supported leaving the EU without a deal.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    IanB2 said:

Britain will end up as an unhappy satellite of the European Union. No-one wants it. No Deal is just the latest form of denial, since the German car manufacturers gambit and the Global Britain rallying cry have failed so comprehensively.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The problem Labour has is that the next election is set up to be a Sophie's Choice for millions around which leader you are least opposed to being PM. Corbyn trails even Johnson on that front - not because of his economic policies, but because of a long-held and instinctive anti-UK/anti-West world view that no Tory leader is ever going to have. It's for that reason I suspect Johnson will be the last Tory PM of my lifetime, but that I will only see another Labour one if I live until the mid-2020s.

Sorry if this seems intrusive but are you terminally ill? The mid-2020s are only five years hence.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

In theory there is merit to your case Nick. However banging your head against a brick wall hoping for a different result tends to the politically incoherent.

Corbyn and team proffered a range of popular policies in 2017 but lacked the credibility of a viable leader to take them over the line. As you implicitly concede, given the present polling, one more heave doesn't look likely to carry the day.

Blair was termed "Bambi" by his opponents in his early years as LotO as being a harmless vacuous vessel. The 1997 general election said different. If Labour could find a Blair for this age then their prospects would improve exponentially but you seem determined to give that brick wall another try with Corbyn.

No Change = No Chance

• Options
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Which is going to be fun as May's deal is the only option unless he gets an election on July 25th.

I think he does, hes just doing what they've all done for the last few years and only focused on the immediate task of getting through the next few days. His commitment needed to ge cast iron to win, since Hunt probably cannot match it even if he has blinder during the campaign.

Stores up trouble for later but like the mps hes hoping his popularity will carry him through it, if it happens before any consequences truly bite.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,152

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

There is no point voting for someone whose policies are harmful to the country merely because they have an agreeable vote-winning personality.

But that is what the Tories seem intent on doing and, arguably, what Labour has already done.
  • Options
    fair comment Jonathan, but I was really defining voter appeal in the sense of someone who can reach beyond their base. Mrs Thatcher and Blair could do this, which is probably why they were/are so hated by some. Corbyn's basic problem is he simply a contrarian, and not really very bright. If he were replaced by almost anyone in the Labour Party they would be 20 percentage points ahead.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sorry if this seems intrusive but are you terminally ill? The mid-2020s are only five years hence.

I'm a pessimist!

• Options
    One bad straw in the wind for Kamala Harris is that Warren is ahead (As are Sanders and Biden) of her in the latest California poll.
  • Options

sounds very New Labour

you should vote for him

My guess is that New labour would not have supported leaving the EU without a deal.

I used to cringe at the New Labour days; Cool Britannia and the Millennium Dome. Now I look back on it with some nostalgia as a period of slightly irritating nanny knows best, but none-the-less stable governance.
  • Options
    My not confident guess is that as there seems to be little movement in the lower order candidates, that Biden is in a good position for now. The only upwards movement is Elizabeth Warren, who has been around as long as Biden has, and is a known quantity.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    I think either Warren or Sanders will get the nomination, once one drops out most of their support will go to the other and combined they have more support than Biden
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Already on -- at half the current price :(
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    a

eristdoof said:

Roger said:

A lot of political decisions come down to deciding what percentage of what you want you will settle for, with the probability of getting anything at all declining as you shoot for a better outcome. Just ask the ERG.

To say there is "no point in politics" if you don't have any chance of getting everything you want is ridiculous. Not least because no-one ever gets it, politics ultimately being the art of compromise.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One bad straw in the wind for Kamala Harris is that Warren is ahead (As are Sanders and Biden) of her in the latest California poll.

So if that holds she will be out pretty quickly if she cannot even win her home state which will provide some boost to Biden as most Harris voters will then switch to him
  • Options
    Mr. Foremain, that period was akin, writ small, to the enervation of Roman will by luxury which culminated in the Crisis of the Third Century.

Devolution to everywhere that isn't England, and the reneging on a manifesto pledge on a referendum helped lead us to the current situation. We would have voted against Lisbon, enabling a reassessment of the UK-EU situation.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Well that is a relief. El Duce's vanity project party have reduced by another percentage point.
  • Options

fair comment Jonathan, but I was really defining voter appeal in the sense of someone who can reach beyond their base. Mrs Thatcher and Blair could do this, which is probably why they were/are so hated by some. Corbyn's basic problem is he simply a contrarian, and not really very bright. If he were replaced by almost anyone in the Labour Party they would be 20 percentage points ahead.

I am not sure that is true, replacing Corbyn wins back some Remainers from the LDs and Greens but would lose some leftwingers to the Greens and some Leavers to the Brexit Party
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Boris voted for May's Deal at MV3, he is not an anti WA hardliner like Baker, Patel and Francois
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eek said:

eek said:

I think he does, hes just doing what they've all done for the last few years and only focused on the immediate task of getting through the next few days. His commitment needed to ge cast iron to win, since Hunt probably cannot match it even if he has blinder during the campaign.

Stores up trouble for later but like the mps hes hoping his popularity will carry him through it, if it happens before any consequences truly bite.
    tbf any new leader gets a certain amount of goodwill or opening political capital - from their parties, from the public, from the people they deal with. For example a new leader has a better chance of getting the EU to consider some tweaks to its approach than would May going back for the fourth time.

Boris's issue is that he is almost certainly over-estimating his, and in any event intends to spend it all as soon as he gets the job.
  • Options
    Next Chancellor betting. The Saj is shorter than Liz Truss, so the market does not believe early reports that Boris had promised the job to her.

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1141780599604224000
  • Options

Mr. Foremain, that period was akin, writ small, to the enervation of Roman will by luxury which culminated in the Crisis of the Third Century.

Devolution to everywhere that isn't England, and the reneging on a manifesto pledge on a referendum helped lead us to the current situation. We would have voted against Lisbon, enabling a reassessment of the UK-EU situation.

Possibly, and though we disagree on other areas I think your analysis is sound, though without a visit to a parallel universe we will never know!
  • Options

The Yougov poll showing No Deal preferred to Revoke you mean?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

eek said:

Boris voted for May's Deal at MV3, he is not an anti WA hardliner like Baker, Patel and Francois
    He's not a "hardliner" on anything other than his own advancement. Haven't you realised that yet?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The next PM after Boris may not even be Labour, it could be a LD like Chuka or Swinson
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

houndtang said:

That is the conventional wisdom, but I’m not entirely convinced.
    Having weathered the attacks which most thought had sunk her bid completely, she’d be much less vulnerable the second time round.

Well...

She's weathered the attacks for now as no Dem gives a shit about the right wings press attacks on the Native American thing. So it doesn't affect the Primary.

The question is whether America's fickle centrists give a shit in the general election.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    edited June 2019
    houndtang said:

She represents everything his base hate about identity politics. His jibe at calling her Pocahontas was genius. Faking minority ancestry to get a leg up the career pole. she looks as ridiculous as those six foot 2 muscle heavy men who self identify as women so they can win competitive sporting events.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    dr_spyn said:
    Stunning number for the Greens. The Greens and Lib Dems should definitely do a pact at the the next election. They would clean up.

If these numbers are accurate.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

My book is sad about this. But given it is at the expense of my Warren position I am not too sad.
  • Options
    So a majority of the country wants to still Leave the EU Deal or No Deal is Boris' policy, only 43% want to Revoke and Remain
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,976
    Jonathan said:

Corbyn does have voter appeal. He is far more charismatic than most politicians. In the 2017 election he was impressive on the stump. The fact Labour ended up with 40% owed a lot to that.

He's a good campaigner but I see no evidence at all of charisma. He comes across as a cranky old git with very limited intellectual and leadership capacities.

Labour would be in a far happier place if Yvette Cooper had won in 2015 and I suspect most of them know it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Yougov poll showing No Deal preferred to Revoke you mean?

No, the one today that shows only 28% want No Deal.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

I am not sure that is true, replacing Corbyn wins back some Remainers from the LDs and Greens but would lose some leftwingers to the Greens and some Leavers to the Brexit Party
    I think you may be making the mistake of thinking about Brexit the way most Tories do, and assuming normal people do the same (joke). Evidence suggests that Brexit may be important to many Labour voters, but not important enough to stop them voting Labour. In other words the core vote would be largely unchanged by a more Brexitsceptic centrist leader. If it were someone like Hillary (? have I spelt that right?) Benn who has actually got a track record of holding a brief, and is articulate and intelligent the Tories would be in big trouble, particularly if we elect The Charlatan
This discussion has been closed.