Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The standout moment of the 2nd Democratic debate and campaign

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The standout moment of the 2nd Democratic debate and campaign so far – Kamala Harris taking on Joe Biden on race

My immediate betting reaction after watching the second WH2020 Democratic debate was to place a bet on California Senator, Kamala Harris for the nomination.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    edited June 2019
    fpt
    rcs1000 said:

My friends on Facebook and Twitter tell me Harris was the best, with Mayor Pete also doing well.

I liked Mayor Pete but he hasn't got it, he was weak on defence. He's got one serious vulnerability about policing, and the best he could do is "I couldn't get it done".
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188
    Second
    Very strong by Kamala but she also seems to have painted herself into the same "ban private health insurance" corner as Warren.

I know she's going after Democrats but there must be a lot of voters out there who don't want their health insurance compulsorily replaced with Medicare.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905
    edited June 2019

fpt

rcs1000 said:

My friends on Facebook and Twitter tell me Harris was the best, with Mayor Pete also doing well.

I liked Mayor Pete but he hasn't got it, he was weak on defence. He's got one serious vulnerability about policing, and the best he could do is "I couldn't get it done".
    When we kick out one person, we tend to replace them with their polar opposite.

Biden and Sanders - old, grumpy white men, are not the opposite of Trump.

Harris, Warren and Buttigieg are all, in their own ways, Trump's opposite.

I think this race could very quickly end up as Harris vs Warren vs Buttigieg vs AN Other.

As an aside, I think Beto O'Rourke is going to be either Harris or Warren's VP pick (assuming one of them wins the nomination).
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited June 2019
    Kamala Harris is into 4.6 on Betfair for Democrat nominee but 11 for next president, which seems slightly out of whack. Trump is 2.24 for next president, so let us call it evens for both generic Democrat and generic Republican and work out doubles from there (note that bookmakers would not accept the double!).

Here's Mayor Pete when faced with a somewhat difficult but entirely predictable question. He hasn't got it.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1144452863424229378
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,468
    Watching Kamala vs Trump debates would be real popcorn time!

Biden and Sanders need to be out out to pasture.

Here's Mayor Pete when faced with a somewhat difficult but entirely predictable question. He hasn't got it.

Mayor Pete might not have it but does he have time to get it? We've seen this before where many politicians turn out to be no good at debating or campaigning but it is a learned skill and they can improve with practice as the campaign runs its course. Compare early and late Hillary Clinton, for instance. Others never develop.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    FPT: Boris policies per The Times:

- Raise NI threshold to £12,500 (cost £11bn)
    - Raise 40p IT threshold to £80,000 (cost £9.6bn)
    - Abolish Stamp Duty on all homes under £500k (cost not stated)
    - Cut Stamp Duty rates on more expensive homes (cost not stated)
    - Raise annual investment allowance from current £1m (cost not stated)
    - Recruit 20,000 more police officers (cost not stated)

"At hustings in Bournemouth yesterday Mr Johnson said that he would be “very, very progressive” on taxation, adding: “I believe strongly in living within our means. But there is now some headroom. Look at what we did in London, where we massively expanded the living wage. We should be lifting thresholds for those on low incomes, helping them out of tax.”"

Whether all of the above is living within our means - well we'll have to see but it does seem a bit doubtful!
    MikeL said:

"At hustings in Bournemouth yesterday Mr Johnson said that he would be “very, very progressive” on taxation, adding: “I believe strongly in living within our means. But there is now some headroom. Look at what we did in London, where we massively expanded the living wage. We should be lifting thresholds for those on low incomes, helping them out of tax.”"

Whether all of the above is living within our means - well we'll have to see but it does seem a bit doubtful!

You left out Brexit (cost not stated).

twitter.com/thehill/status/1144452863424229378

Mayor Pete might not have it but does he have time to get it? We've seen this before where many politicians turn out to be no good at debating or campaigning but it is a learned skill and they can improve with practice as the campaign runs its course. Compare early and late Hillary Clinton, for instance. Others never develop.
    This is why Boris was wrong to duck the Channel 4 debate, which probably resulted in his poor showing at the BBC. Or compare and contrast Corbyn and May at the last election: Corbyn with 30 years' experience talking to crowds and May with none, and being tongue-tied in front of a dozen vetted Conservative activists.
    I've not watched either debate (life's too short) but reports are largely about Kamala Harris taking out Biden on race.

This contrasts with the first debate where the consensus was that Warren won on policy.

It suggests two different types of debate, so I'd not want to go all-in until seeing whether Warren can mix it and Harris can argue on policy. Likewise the others.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,549

He hasn't got it.

Yet.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

I think this race could very quickly end up as Harris vs Warren vs Buttigieg vs AN Other.

As an aside, I think Beto O'Rourke is going to be either Harris or Warren's VP pick (assuming one of them wins the nomination).

I'm looking for a long odds POTUS bet .... know anyone with a good track record on the issue? .... :wink:
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    There was one winner from that exchange in the thread header: Trump.
  • I knew you’d need me for #indyref2

I've not watched either debate (life's too short) but reports are largely about Kamala Harris taking out Biden on race.

This contrasts with the first debate where the consensus was that Warren won on policy.

It suggests two different types of debate, so I'd not want to go all-in until seeing whether Warren can mix it and Harris can argue on policy. Likewise the others.

Trump did not win on policy, indeed Hillary too had detailed policy. Trump won by stoking fear and vague notions like Make America Great Again.
  • 3.5/1 last I looked - any takers???
    rcs1000 said:

fpt

rcs1000 said:

I liked the mad hippie. It's the summer of love again.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,184
    Foxy said:

Everyone was saying she’s boring last week.

Biden and Bennett both score a Trump "False" from the debate - with Biden getting a 'Misleading" to boot:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/us/politics/factcheck-democratic-debate.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur
    More than a little misleading - the WEF elides "abroad" into 'The EU". I wonder what the numbers would look like if they asked "Which EU Country has most EU Citizens living in other EU states?

https://twitter.com/march_change/status/1144262837461762054
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Not me!

A long way to go though. This is a marathon not a sprint, and I cannot see Biden or Sanders going the distance.

I suspect that Marianne cannot last, but it is a pity:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1144462632662945793?s=19
    Nigelb said:

TBF her twitter feed is far and away the dullest thing in the known universe.
    Foxy said:

Trump did not win on policy, indeed Hillary too had detailed policy. Trump won by stoking fear and vague notions like Make America Great Again.
    No, Trump won because Hillary's campaign was run by a bunch of muppets who made the same mistake against Trump as they'd made against Obama eight years earlier: not understanding the rules so they campaigned in all the wrong places, racking up huge majorities where they did not help, and losing on delegates.
  • Carlotta - I remember that in the noughties there were more uk in eu than vice verca - all the oldies in spain
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,905

Nigelb said:

I hope she doesn't win the nomination, because her house is just by my kids school, and the school run will be hell if the road (and it's the only road into the canyon) is crowded with reporters and secret service.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,876
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

I hope she doesn't win the nomination, because her house is just by my kids school, and the school run will be hell if the road (and it's the only road into the canyon) is crowded with reporters and secret service.
    Forget the school run, get her "bussed in" :smiley:
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    MikeL said:

A free ticket for John McDonnell.

• TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

On the plus side, for you and negative for her....

She seems to have come to life with a rehearsed set piece attack, which is great, but it isn't a sign that she is suddenly going to become a more charismatic candidate off the cuff. She did well with her moment but it was a specific thing that had happened to her, it seems unlikely that she has other things she can turn into moments as powerful as that one.

If she is usually dull then she could easily go back to being dull without set pieces as good as this one.
  • you subscribe to the FT??? I m obviously playing with the high rollers now

• I clicked cus I thought they might have made it free - I got the highlights on the tv though - liberalism is dead
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,881
    Biden and Harris are now the same price on Betfair, absolute madness - I don't care how good her debate performance was, she's on 7% and he is around 30 !

Carlotta - I remember that in the noughties there were more uk in eu than vice verca - all the oldies in spain

The UK EU emigration picture is complicated. You have three categories of people:
    1. UK citizens living in another EU country who are registered and known about and measurable.
    2. UK citizens living in another EU country below the radar - there are a lot of these on the Costas and other parts of the Med and the Algarve, but how many no-one knows, for obvious reasons.
    3. UK citizens who are resident in the UK but spend extended periods in the EU.

Brexit will not affect 1 (except, possibly, a No Deal). It will affect 2 and 3, and No Deal will bugger them. Overall, it’s impossible to know just how many Brits make use of FoM beyond holiday and business trips - or how many have aspirations to. It’s something we’ll understand much better post-Brexit.

The Corbynisation of the former Conservative and Unionist Party continues apace. This time, the hard right is after someone who backed May’s WA three times in Commons’ votes.
    https://twitter.com/leaveeuofficial/status/1144201903980650496?s=21
  • Carlotta - I remember that in the noughties there were more uk in eu than vice verca - all the oldies in spain

The UK EU emigration picture is complicated. You have three categories of people:
    1. UK citizens living in another EU country who are registered and known about and measurable.
    2. UK citizens living in another EU country below the radar - there are a lot of these on the Costas and other parts of the Med and the Algarve, but how many no-one knows, for obvious reasons.

Brexit will not affect 1 (except, possibly, a No Deal). It will affect 2 and 3, and No Deal will bugger them. Overall, it’s impossible to know just how many Brits make use of FoM beyond holiday and business trips - or how many have aspirations to. It’s something we’ll understand much better post-Brexit.

I hope my little sis who should be getting a degree in German this year is not too disheartened. I ve always been ambivalent on brexit
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,833
    Ive is blooming lucky that Jobs isn't in charge. Jobs' behaviour to those who deigned to leave 'his' company was appalling. Woz was a sadly classic example.

Steve Jobs was a really nasty piece of work - and the corporate culture of Apple embraced that nastiness. It's a shame that people lionise him.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,833

The Corbynisation of the former Conservative and Unionist Party continues apace. This time, the hard right is after someone who backed May’s WA three times in Commons’ votes.
    https://twitter.com/leaveeuofficial/status/1144201903980650496?s=21

The funny thing about 'now is the time to make the Conservative party conservative again' is that there is nothing small-c 'conservative' about Brexit.

Brexit is more akin to revolution than evolution: which is why so many of its proponents are so unconcerned about its effects.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,959
    Good morning, everyone.

Well, now I'm glad I put some money on this Harris lady (thanks to a tip from someone called *checks notes* Mike Smithson. Sounds like a smart fellow).
    This might be an error but I've Just laid Harris at 7-2.

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072
    Harris has been my pick for months but, like some of the candidates here for the Tory leadership, I was getting worried about her lack of bite, the lack of vision and the heavy reliance on lawyer skills such as examining witnesses. She didn't seem to have much to say. If she is addressing that she will be in a good place.

I think that the strength of her ground operation in California, which is voting early this time, gives her a considerable advantage. Campaigning in any meaningful way there will be prohibitively expensive and sort out the wheat from the chaff. Although the media will no doubt focus on the traditional Iowa type States I think California will prove key and she has a big home advantage.

Carlotta - I remember that in the noughties there were more uk in eu than vice verca - all the oldies in spain

I hope my little sis who should be getting a degree in German this year is not too disheartened. I ve always been ambivalent on brexit

Sadly, your sister will not have the opportunities to live, work and study in the EU that she would have had. But hopefully she’ll find a way. A deal with the EU would be much easier if Johnson accepted most Brits can live with FoM. That would open up a wide range of new possibilities.

• TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Pulpstar said:

I don't like to go to far in predictions, usually hedge...

But if she is usually quite boring then I can't see why she wouldn't now revert to that, her good attack had specific circumstances related to her that made it powerful, this doesn't seem like something she can easily repeat in future debates.

How was she in the debate aside for her one big moment?

you subscribe to the FT??? I m obviously playing with the high rollers now
    It is free - non-paywall

Pulpstar said:

I don't like to go to far in predictions, usually hedge...

But if she is usually quite boring then I can't see why she wouldn't now revert to that, her good attack had specific circumstances related to her that made it powerful, this doesn't seem like something she can easily repeat in future debates.

Dunno but the debates aren't the be all and end all I think. Polling, even at this stage matters.

As a hedge I'm backing her at 10+ in the presidential market.

4.5/10.5 is too big a gap right now there even though I think she'd be an incredibly weak Dem candidate.
    When No Deal kicks in it looks like far more UK exports will be subject to EU tariffs than vice versa.

https://twitter.com/davidheniguk/status/1144165169171484673?s=21

US Citizens (for example) can spend 90 days in the EU without a visa. Do you think a "no-deal" EU would offer UK citizens less?

If these people are resident in the UK, I doubt being limited to 90 day visits will be much of a hardship.
  • Pulpstar said:

I hate laying - came scarily close too laying Hamilton at evens this year what was I thinking. Obvs this is for Morris. Ended up backing bottlas and cashed out. Only profit for the year ☹️

Sadly, your sister will not have the opportunities to live, work and study in the EU that she would have had. But hopefully she’ll find a way. A deal with the EU would be much easier if Johnson accepted most Brits can live with FoM. That would open up a wide range of new possibilities.

She ll have degree at least - its German and something else. My mum can always sing the meatloaf song 2 out 3 ain t bad (my bro got a first)

Dull.

When No Deal kicks in it looks like far more UK exports will be subject to EU tariffs than vice versa.

Only because.....

https://twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1144165880340897797
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,188
    Scott_P said:
    Further evidence those who have worked with or for him can’t stand him
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Not me!

A long way to go though. This is a marathon not a sprint, and I cannot see Biden or Sanders going the distance.

I suspect that Marianne cannot last, but it is a pity:

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1144462632662945793?s=19
    The answer was kinda pants

But she’s absolutely got into the core of Trump’s political MO. You identify the fear in people and you amplify it, before presenting yourself as the solution

US Citizens (for example) can spend 90 days in the EU without a visa. Do you think a "no-deal" EU would offer UK citizens less?

If these people are resident in the UK, I doubt being limited to 90 day visits will be much of a hardship.

I think there are plenty of people who consider themselves UK resident and spend way more than 90 days a year in the EU. Older folk who winter by the Med, for example. And others who aspire to do so. Finding out you can no longer do what you have done quite normally and without thought for as long as you can remember is never much fun - even if it is no great hardship.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,959

This year is the first time in 10 years of language teaching that I am not preparing any students for the EU Commission language tests.

Only because.....

Yep - Johnson could reverse the current tariff plan and push prices up for consumers. Do you think he will?

• StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I don't think people are going to forgive him for the response to the shooting in his town
    I thought about laying Harris at 7 before the debate, I also considered levelling my books up.

I didn't do either so that's a wash. Anyway I'll repeat a candidate polling 7% who has Bernie, Warren and Biden above her (With Biden near 30 odd) should not be the 7-2 favourite at this point no matter how much of a twitter storm she's creating.
    If twitter was the sole guide, Bernie would have won the 2016 Democrat primary 80-20 or something like that.
    edited June 2019

I think there are plenty of people who consider themselves UK resident and spend way more than 90 days a year in the EU.
    They can spend 180 days a year in the EU (90 in any 180) - any more than that and they won't be UK resident.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,040

Sadly Brexit is all about harming people who work hard to make Britain a successful and outward-looking country, in order to pander to the prejudices and resentments of people who don't.

Only because.....

Yep - Johnson could reverse the current tariff plan and push prices up for consumers. Do you think he will?

And match the EU?

Who knows?
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

To be fair, insulting foreigners - and the French, in particular - is not exactly going to harm Johnson among those whose support he seeks.

• OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I think there are plenty of people who consider themselves UK resident and spend way more than 90 days a year in the EU.
    They can spend 180 days a year in the EU (90 in any 180) - any more than that and they won't be UK resident.
    That might be what the rules say, but if they don't know those are the rules, and so don't declare those periods in the EU, who will know any different?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,072

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

To be fair, insulting foreigners - and the French, in particular - is not exactly going to harm Johnson among those whose support he seeks.

Insulting the Frogs will not cause his campaign to croak.

I'll get my coat...
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Sadly Brexit is all about harming people who work hard to make Britain a successful and outward-looking country, in order to pander to the prejudices and resentments of people who don't.

Brexit is Pirate Jenny.

You gentlemen can say, "hey gal, finish them floors!
    Get upstairs! what's wrong with you! earn your keep here!
    You toss me your tips
    And look out to the ships
    But I'm counting your heads
    As I'm making the beds
    Cause there's nobody gonna sleep here, honey
    Nobody

But, then, who can blame Jenny?

The blame lies with the gentlemen who treated her so contemptuously. Ditto Brexit.

Only because.....

And match the EU?

Who knows?

It’s a big call. Matching the EU may help manufacturers and farmers a bit, but it will harm consumers. It’s the type of issue Johnson never had to grapple with when London mayor. He’s soon going to discover - for the first time in his life - what being responsible actually entails.

• Pulpstar said:

I thought about laying Harris at 7 before the debate, I also considered levelling my books up.

I didn't do either so that's a wash. Anyway I'll repeat a candidate polling 7% who has Bernie, Warren and Biden above her (With Biden near 30 odd) should not be the 7-2 favourite at this point no matter how much of a twitter storm she's creating.
    If twitter was the sole guide, Bernie would have won the 2016 Democrat primary 80-20 or something like that.

You ve convinced me. But my bankroll is only 20 quid. Maybe if I keep watching the cricket I might find some value
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

well said
    edited June 2019

Not post-Brexit. That’s the point. Spending December to March on the Costa del Sol suddenly becomes a very big and complicated decision. It’s also one that will become subject to Spanish law on stays and benefits allowed to non-EU citizens.

For me, the worst thing about the debate from Biden’s POV was the way he seemed to tire and falter towards the end. Not a good look for a septuagenarian arguing age doesn’t matter.
    Someone, sooner for later, will turn “Anyway, my time is up” into a political ad.
    Mr. Ref2, welcome to PB.

Judging when to lay is tricky.

I'm considering a comparable hedge by putting some on Boris at 4 for 50-60% of the vote and 2.5 for 60-70% (I'm considerable greener on Hunt than Boris and am thinking of trying to get a more balanced result).

Only because.....

I think the No Tarrif Plan is just making virtue of neccesity. There simply isn't the UK Customs infrastructure and personnel to implement tarriffs.

Though I can see that taxes on consumers may make up part of the Boris deficit, and reign in some of our consumerist culture. Probably a good thing.
    edited June 2019

Not post-Brexit.
    You're assuming the EU will offer UK citizens less generous access than US, Australian, Mexican or Argentinian citizens?

Why?

They've said they will.
  • Mr. Ref2, welcome to PB.

I'm considering a comparable hedge by putting some on Boris at 4 for 50-60% of the vote and 2.5 for 60-70% (I'm considerable greener on Hunt than Boris and am thinking of trying to get a more balanced result).

Reminds me off my major loser of the year - the Liverpool sat night match. I bet on salah and mani to be first goal scorer and cunningly hedged with an err Newcastle win.

Maybe just put a bit more on boris??? I m hardly an expert on these matters but I appreciate u asking for my input
    edited June 2019

Mr. Ref2, welcome to PB.

There's a non trivial chance he'll be on 70-80% as per the Yougov polling. Currently 50-80% is a 99.76% chance on the back side for Betfair.

Just back Boris in the Tory leader market at 1.15 till your greens are levelled up.
  • *runs off to put bankroll on boris 50-60*

Not post-Brexit.
    You're assuming the EU will offer UK citizens less generous access than US, Australian, Mexican or Argentinian citizens?

Why?

They've said they will.

December to March is longer than 90 days. I doubt we’ll get a worse deal than other third country citizens, but to get a better one we’ll need to offer better for EU citizens, too.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Frustratingly Harris was my early pick but I cashed out on her at a loss yesterday.

Superb timing by me.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Correct - although many slip under the radar on this rule. I'd be surprised if that changed much with regard to Spain. The Spanish government have already committed to leaving things much as they are.
  • Pulpstar said:

Mr. Ref2, welcome to PB.

There's a non trivial chance he'll be on 70-80% as per the Yougov polling. Currently 50-80% is a 99.76% chance on the back side for Betfair.

Just back Boris in the Tory leader market at 1.15 till your greens are levelled up.
    1.15 makes for very expensive hedging
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2019
    Completely OT. Anyone in Edinburgh to day? There's a film called 'Girl from Mogadishu' on at the Edinburgh film festival and I'm not able to get there but I would love a decent critique on it. (It's about FGM)

TUD?
    Nick Robinson chats to sceptical Tories:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1144498067267153921
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

I'll get my coat...
    Stop this toadying to stereotypes please.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:
    Yes. They're popping out like bluebottles from a festering carpet
    Alistair said:

Frustratingly Harris was my early pick but I cashed out on her at a loss yesterday.

Superb timing by me.

Ugh that's annoying. I'm a bit annoyed I didn't level off my book before the debate now.

Not post-Brexit. That’s the point. Spending December to March on the Costa del Sol suddenly becomes a very big and complicated decision. It’s also one that will become subject to Spanish law on stays and benefits allowed to non-EU citizens.

As I say Sanchez has already committed to leavig things pretty much the same as before with regard to UK/ES relations. He even supports the healthcare arrangements staying the same. There is much that is bad about where we are without over-egging the pudding.
    felix said:

Correct - although many slip under the radar on this rule. I'd be surprised if that changed much with regard to Spain. The Spanish government have already committed to leaving things much as they are.
    Post Brexit they'll get their passports stamped on entry so "slipping under the radar" may no longer be an option.

Pulpstar said:

Mr. Ref2, welcome to PB.

1.15 makes for very expensive hedging
    He's a country mile ahead with the membership and going to win.

1.15 is the 1.03 real chance + the risk of it emerging that he's a murderer or something.
    Mr. ref2/Mr. Pulpstar, yeah, that's possible. But those are rubbish odds.

*sighs*

Well, I am green either way (notionally, at least, I did back a variety of others so I suspect I'm just barely green with Boris).
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

I'll get my coat...
    Stop this toadying to stereotypes please.
    You'd expect the family bufonidae to have some appeal to our leading buffoon.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,309
    The fact-check report that Biden was actually lying when he said he hadn't opposed busing ("only busing imposed by the Department of Education") is pretty damaging. Harris does a great job of making it personal to her. I've never thought much about busing as it hasn't been an issue over here, but I really felt for her.

That said, we all tend to overrate the importance of single exchanges on the race in the medium term. Laying the favo(u)rite generally makes sense early on in crowded races.

edited June 2019

Not post-Brexit.

Why?

They've said they will.

but to get a better one we’ll need to offer better for EU citizens, too.
    We already have:

EU citizens arriving in the UK who wish to stay longer than 3 months and apply for European Temporary Leave to Remain will be subject to identity, criminality and security checks before being granted permission to stay for three years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-outlines-no-deal-arrangements-for-eu-citizens

The EU hasn't reciprocated.....
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,273

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Alas it reflects badly on the entire nation. The rest of the world will look aghast and say, ‘How could you elect this man?’ We can blather on about Tory membership but it will sound thin.

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Alas it reflects badly on the entire nation. The rest of the world will look aghast and say, ‘How could you elect this man?’ We can blather on about Tory membership but it will sound thin.

The rest of the world can get over it.

felix said:

Post Brexit they'll get their passports stamped on entry so "slipping under the radar" may no longer be an option.
    No bad thing. In the last 12 months there's been a massive surge in residency permits issued as people have normalised their positions - a huge boost for private health insurers too as this is needed for under 65s now. However, Spain is taking a very positive and moderate approach to all these matters.

Laying the favo(u)rite generally makes sense early on in crowded races.

Harris is now the favourite.
This discussion has been closed.