Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says don’t underestimate Ed Miliband

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited November 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson says don’t underestimate Ed Miliband

The forty-third president of the United States said some silly things in his time, to the extent that ‘Bushism’ has become defined not his political philosophy but the kind of verbal misspeak that occurs when the brain and mouth take different directions during the same sentence, or alternatively, when a high-powered politician goes in for ill-advised flippancy.  On which note, his speech to the 2001…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    A good article. But I thought the Syria vote was meant to be a disaster for Ed?

• Options
    Does anyone else think that 'Kepler' is pants? I'm no maven but I'd suggest we all give up integrating Maven....

:morning-IoS:
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    In about 1989, Rory Bremner did a comedy sketch pretending to be John Cole as part of his comedy / current affairs series. I haven't found it on Youtube, but for some reason, I recorded the programme and wrote down a transcript of it:

As you join us here at the beginning of the Parliamentary recess, Mrs Thatcher, as leader of her party, is still trying to keep the ship of state on the road without going off the rails, as Michael Heseltine, back in the forefront once more, threw a spanner in the ointment with a predictability few could have foreseen. With some Conservatives unanimously divided, it's high time the party met together behind closed doors and thrashed it out in the open; though the Prime Minister may well find at the end of the day the game's not worth the candle it's written on.

For Labour, it was a new kettle of ballgames having turned full circle, and the mouth's on the other foot. As Mr Kinnock told the House, the party's fortunes had turned the corner, gone full circle and there could be no turning back without going ahead and reversing the previous advances, winding down the window and being sick in a layby. Leaving side issues on the backburner, Labour must look long and hard over their shoulder at the problems facing them, and come up with not just viable alternatives, but ones that might work.

For the SLD, the road ahead is distinctly choppy, as they decide whether to jump in, grasp the nettle by the horns with both feet and milk it till the penny drops, or run it up the maypole with all flags blazing. For as sure as lemmings come home to roost, they must avoid the temptations of putting all their chickens in one basket - and only then will they know if they can reach the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel.

In the final rinse, it all adds down to money, and neither party can risk the expense of a free election at this stage. As any politician will tell you, it's never that simple. This is John Cole, for the Nine O'Clock News At Ten.
  • Options
    The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Ed, for lack of a better word, is good. Ed is right, Ed works. Ed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the (R)evolutionary spirit. Ed, in all of his forms; Ed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Ed, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    mass immigration creates a deflationary spiral by reducing the velocity of money
  • Options
    FPT Farage

"I got the feeling last night that the Anna Soubry approach was a new strategy from the Tories to deal with what is a big threat."

They decided a few weeks ago at that private country conflab they had - you could tell on here with stuff like the N. Farage thing which i imagine they see as a very jolly jape. It did seem to sputter out a bit but i imagine Soubry is ultra-vulnerable to UKIP switchers?

Anyway UKIP speakers should be more wary of PC based attacks coming from the Tories- especially on the BBC cos of their ability to select hostile audiences if they want to. For obvious reasons Tories making PC based attacks will hurt them more as long as the Kipper people ride with it and don't get taken by surprise.
  • Options
    I was fine with David Herdson's piece until I reached the very last line - what exactly does the word "misunderestimate" mean?
  • Options
    Funny thing i thought of the other day

London exam results have seen a dramatic improvement over the last ten years or so (as has been mentioned on here a few times) e.g.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19151471

Knowing what those schools are really like i assumed the educational establishment was just fiddling the stats to cover up what they'd done but the simpler explanation was that over the same time there was a massive increase in the use of private tutors

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/education/40-of-pupils-in-capital-have-private-tutors-8799404.html

The funny thing is those two facts together prove just how bad the state schools in inner London actually are.

There's the obvious bit that people are getting tutors to make up for the bad schools but that doesn't fully indicate the scale. However when you think about it if a few hours a week with a private tutor can cause such a *huge* jump in the exam results of the 40%+ who have a private tutor that pretty much proves how terrible the state schools have become.

Obviously everyone in London already knows this including the BBC and the political class hence how they - especially Labour MPs - are so desperate to make sure their own kids don't go to the stabby rape-sheds New Labour created but they don't want the majority of the public outside the inner cities to know.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited November 2013
    Good, solid piece.

If the Tories had more sane folk like David Herdson and fewer neep heids like ...... ...... (fill in the gap with your favourite PB Tory, there are hundreds to choose from) then they would be a competent political party. Fortunately, people like David are exceedingly, and surprisingly, rare in the Tory party.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The UK politician most similar to GWBush. Is Boris. Ed is about as far away you can get.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    IOS said:

According to PB Tories the Syria vote was a disaster for Ed.

Back in the real world, normal people (ie. nobody who posts on PB) have completely, totally and utterly forgotten about "The Syria Vote" already. If they even knew about "The Syria Vote" in the first place. Which most of them didn't.

PBers live in a goldfish bowl, and PB Tories live in a very tiny goldfish bowl. Normal people only pay attention to politics quite close to election day, or when something truly huge happens. Votes in the HoC are almost never truly huge.

(Incidentally, remember the fuss about Megrahi when he was given compassionate release? PB Tories went on and on and on and on and on and on about it for months. That was in August 2009, and we were confidently told on here that MacAskill had just signed the SNP's death warrant. Remember what subsequently happened in May 2011?)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JackW Says Don't Underestimate The Good Sense Of The British Voters :

Foot .. Kinnock .. Hague .. Howard .. Brown - All At The First Opportunity Comprehensively Rejected At General Elections.

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

• Options
    On topic, I agree, Ed Miliband is extremely sharp and just the right amount of ruthless, which is why he became leader despite his obvious lack of charisma.

Against that it's a good bit of the cycle for the opposition, when they get to showcase their crowd-pleasers but before the government has played the cards it's saving for the election. Cameron looked good at this point in the cycle, too. It's most likely downhill from here.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    PfP

"what exactly does the word "misunderestimate" mean?"

If that's a serious question which I'm sure it's not-its Bush's most famous spoonerism or Bushism. So a joke
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited November 2013
    @JackW That's like your much repeated prediction last time that the LDs were certain to win Watford. I bet on the Tory.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Roger said:

PfP

"what exactly does the word "misunderestimate" mean?"

If that's a serious question which I'm sure it's not-its Bush's most famous spoonerism or Bushism. So a joke

Indeed.

http://www.languagemonitor.com/bushisms-2/top-ten-all-time-bushisms-misunderestimate-mission-accomplished-top-list/

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-3-2002/moment-of-zen---misunderestimate
  • Options

@JackW That's like your much repeated prediction last time that the LDs were certain to win Watford. I bet on the Tory.

Jack would be more credible if he wrote Johann Lamont Will Never Be First Minister after every blog post.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Im sure we had this thread before all about how awesome Gordon Brown would turn out to be.

Then he was supercrap.
  • Options
    @Stuart

Everyone a cracker!

“Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we”
  • Options

A single constituency failure against a wealth of correct predictions ?!?

My ARSE against your bald assertions - Let the gladiators of PB do battle - Should be on Sky Sports 1

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Very good article but not necessarily because of the underlying premise. Miliband is definitely not to be underestimated but rather than being because he is in some way good or that he has his finger on the pulse. It's more the fact that, as the Cameron team have it, he's a c***. That's their word, not mine.

By the way David, be careful about this comment: 'What's true for America is true here.' Not so and many politicians, advisors and commentators have come unstuck over it.
  • Options

Jack would be more credible if he wrote Johann Lamont Will Never Be First Minister after every blog post.
    Stuart Dickson would be more credible if he wrote Alex Salmond, First Minister, Will Never be Prime Minister Of An Independent Scotland after every blog post

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Good article, reinforcing David's formidable reputation as a Tory partisan who can be compeltely detached when writing thread headers (and is always worth reading anyway). Ed was always underestimated (still is IMO), though a large part of his recovery among Labour voters is not that they thought he was crap but that they want a Labour victory and now feel more confident that he'll deliver it than they used to.

IOS said:

Back in the real world, normal people (ie. nobody who posts on PB) have completely, totally and utterly forgotten about "The Syria Vote" already. If they even knew about "The Syria Vote" in the first place. Which most of them didn't.)
    Actually it's still a big issue among middle-class LibDem 2010 voters, with whom it reinforced the switch to Labour because they'd often switched TO the LibDems over Iraq. It comes up spontaneously on their doorsteps quite a bit - more than energy prices or any local issue. Political pundits often don't understand that cohort, which is critical in my patch and perhaps many other marginals. Most of the classic lines like "All politics is local" and "It's the economy, stupid" don't apply to them (think Guardian).

• Options
    JackW said:

Stuart Dickson would be more credible if he wrote Alex Salmond, First Minister, Will Never be Prime Minister Of An Independent Scotland after every blog post

Unlike you Jack, I do not know whether Yes or No is going to win the IndyRef in September.

Quite why you are always so certain that No is going to emerge victorious has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Even if you are privately convinced about such a result it strikes me as profoundly unwise to go around parading your superiority over mere mortals in public. The modest doubt expressed by fellow No supporters DavidL and Eaterross for example chimes better with the voters' mood.

But, by all means continue. The more arrogant and complacent the No side becomes the happier I become.
  • Options
    @MikeSmithson

Just for the sake of balance Mike, I'm sure you'd like to proffer the odd duff prediction that's emanated from Smithson Towers ?!?

And to help things along I'll do penance for Speaker Margaret Beckett visiting LibDem held Watford ....

Come along Mike .... confession is good for the soul ....
  • Options
    JackW said:

@MikeSmithson

Just for the sake of balance Mike, I'm sure you'd like to proffer the odd duff prediction that's emanated from Smithson Towers ?!?

And to help things along I'll do penance for Speaker Margaret Beckett visiting LibDem held Watford ....

Alistair Carmichael as next Lib Dem leader anyone?

As Strauss/Bush said, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on. Should be Mike's motto.
  • Options

JackW said:

Unlike you Jack, I do not know whether Yes or No is going to win the IndyRef in September.

Quite why you are always so certain that No is going to emerge victorious has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Even if you are privately convinced about such a result it strikes me as profoundly unwise to go around parading your superiority over mere mortals in public. The modest doubt expressed by fellow No supporters DavidL and Eaterross for example chimes better with the voters' mood.

But, by all means continue. The more arrogant and complacent the No side becomes the happier I become.
    I feel you've failed to get the idea of this political betting lark.

We do what it says on the tin - make political predictions, hopefully earn the odd coin and keep the other half shod in over priced clogs !!

• Options

JackW said:

@MikeSmithson

As Strauss/Bush said, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on. Should be Mike's motto.
    Well that's clearly fooled you.

Losers can be winners. Carmichael may never be the next LibDem leader but if he is overpriced then a trading bet may be established to take advantage and trade out later at a profit.

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

We do what it says on the tin - make political predictions, hopefully earn the odd coin and keep the other half shod in over priced clogs !!

There are two strategies in this political betting lark: backing (what you assume to be) winners is only one of them.

Another strategy is backing/laying options at (what you perceive to be) value prices, and trading out at a profit when the prices move.

Hence, I've been backing Yes at prices over 6.2 and laying No at prices under 1.19. Not because I think that Yes is going to win, but simply because the current Betfair prices represent absolutely terrific value.

So, even if you think No is going to win, you'd be daft laying Yes at the current 6.2.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

There are two strategies in this political betting lark: backing (what you assume to be) winners is only one of them.

Another strategy is backing/laying options at (what you perceive to be) value prices, and trading out at a profit when the prices move.

Hence, I've been backing Yes at prices over 6.2 and laying No at prices under 1.19. Not because I think that Yes is going to win, but simply because the current Betfair prices represent absolutely terrific value.

So, even if you think No is going to win, you'd be daft laying Yes at the current 6.2.
    Indeed so.

I refer my honourable countryman to my previous post and give way to the honourable member for Bedford for clarification of his own duff predictions ....

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

@MikeSmithson

Losers can be winners. Carmichael may never be the next LibDem leader but if he is overpriced then a trading bet may be established to take advantage and trade out later at a profit.

A cynic might conjecture that buying at a long price, posting a blog post on a prominent and influential blog about aforementioned long price, waiting for the price to significantly shorten, and trading out, was a sound investment strategy.

I could not possibly comment. I am not aquainted with any cynics.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

@MikeSmithson

A cynic might conjecture that buying at a long price, posting a blog post on a prominent and influential blog about aforementioned long price, waiting for the price to significantly shorten, and trading out, was a sound investment strategy.

I could not possibly comment. I am not aquainted with any cynics.
    You should get out more ....

And at the risk of this thread becoming the JackW/Stuart Dickson Breakfast Show, I'm off for mine ....

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2013
    The ATOS trio, who assessed their fitness to play?

"Former BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artists, the ATOS Trio mark the scheme's tenth anniversary with two delightful works for piano trio: Haydn's charmingly inventive Trio in E flat major, and Dvorak's expressive Trio in F minor."

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited November 2013
    Seems a bit of a convoluted way to say you think little Ed will have a trust problem when it comes to his policy promises. Fact is we know that he does since some of the polling on whether the public believe his 18 month energy freeze backs that up.

Bringing Bush into things also seems an odd choice too since Bush will always be thought of by the public as joined at the hip to Blair. Particularly when you raise the question of Syria since that was a military attack narrowly avoided. As we all know Blair certainly didn't want to avoid that attack any more than Cameron did. Nor was Miliband primarily the one responsible for avoiding it. That was mainly down to Cameron's backbenchers and Cameron being out of touch with how they were thinking and were going to vote on the issue.

As to why living standards are trouble for the government, well I'm afraid that's what happens when the political narrative moves on and the one most responsible for that isn't little Ed but Osborne.

Lest we forget Osbrowne was under quite a bit of pressure after the tories May local election performance when his master strategies were less than than effective at killing the kipper vote. So whenever there was economic news that looked good after that he jumped on it and ran with it for all it was worth trying to reinforcing his position while reinforcing the narrative that the economy was looking just peachy. The good news for Osbrowne was that it did indeed move the narrative on from debt and deficits to a better economy and in doing so may have helped push the kipper vote down after the May local elections. The bad news was it still hasn't pushed the kipper vote down to anywhere near where Cameron needs the kippers to be. The change in focus to better economic news also meant when the narrative moved on from debt and deficits little Ed jumped on the public's dissatisfaction with living standards and big business with his price freeze pledge.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Im sure we had this thread before all about how awesome Gordon Brown would turn out to be.

Then he was supercrap.

But he still became prime minister and might have won an election in 2007 if he hadn't dithered before, during and after Labour's conference (I suspect probably not as his campaigning skills weren't all that hot but it's not beyond the realms of possibility).

As for Ed, yes, I think he'd be a dreadful PM. His behaviour over the last few months has reinforced that impression on me. On the other hand, it has made it more likely that he will become PM in the first place.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited November 2013
    Has Ed M really managed to throw off the mask as a figure of fun or derision, and assumed the role of a grim visaged class warrior over the course of the autumn?

Inflation erodes the value of limited changes in wages, reinforcing a theme of falling living standards, one which Ed M has been happy to seize. It does beg the question about how he and Labour propose to raise them? Trying to freeze prices is akin to sitting on the beach at Bosham telling the tide to stop coming in. What is the answer, cutting taxes, dropping money out of the back of a helicopter?
  • Options
    I actually did compare Ed to Bush in the summer.

I pointed out that Ed could do a Bush in 2015.

Lose the popular vote but still become PM thanks to the quirks of the electoral system just like Bush in 2000.

Hopefully without need of the courts.

Because I don't think the Tory party could cope if the European Court of Human Rights declared Ed the winner.
  • Options

Very good article but not necessarily because of the underlying premise. Miliband is definitely not to be underestimated but rather than being because he is in some way good or that he has his finger on the pulse. It's more the fact that, as the Cameron team have it, he's a c***. That's their word, not mine.

By the way David, be careful about this comment: 'What's true for America is true here.' Not so and many politicians, advisors and commentators have come unstuck over it.

Thanks for your comment.

I agree with you that one should be extremely wary of applying a comment like 'what's true for America is true here' on a general basis. American politics has some similarities with the UK but many differences too (in fact, we're probably closer to most European political systems than the US', though those too have significant differences, particularly PR as a rule).

I hadn't meant it as a general statement and apologies if it came across like that; it was the Bush/Strauss quote as a campaigning rule of thumb it applied to, and I think that does carry across the Atlantic (and indeed to any democracy where there is a large section who are only marginally engaged with the system).
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    It's also stretching credibility just a touch to complain about little Ed's naked opportunism when there is no shortage of examples of Cameron doing precisely the same kind of posturing against big business and fat cats when he was in opposition. Nor do we even need to look back that far to see Cameron and tories doing it in government too.
    Millie ‏@Millie_77 17 Oct

John Snow #c4news "energy companies are robbing us and you know it" Greg Barker energy minister replies "yes." Unbelievable.

Mr Barker added: ‘Ofgem has already acted to tighten up abuse of direct debits – but we will be holding very frank discussions with the big-six to make sure all consumers get a fair deal.’

Energy Secretary Michael Fallon added: ‘This is about big businesses profiteering. We have ordered Ofgem to ensure direct debits are accurate and are refunded. Ofgem needs to get tougher. Companies are banking with consumers’ money and customers are being taken for a ride.’
    So if the tories are totally against any sort of action against big business it's also curious why the spin at the time of little Ed's announcement indicated that he was right about there being a problem.
    Michael Gove says Ed Miliband right to attack energy companies

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/michael-gove-says-ed-miliband-right-to-attack-energy-companies-8844864.html
    Why? Because it's a certainty there will be tory pledges and policy promises not just on energy but on other issues relating to living standards.

For one thing Osbrowne can't help himself. In the budget statements before the next election he's going to be politicking on them because that's the type of Chancellor he is. There's also no way Cameron is going to ignore the marginals so they will quite obviously have some pledges and promises of their own in mind. As we shall see soon enough.

The most effective attack on Miliband's energy promises clearly wasn't hysterical twaddle about communism and marxism but what the hell was little Ed doing raging at the energy companies and energy market since HE was the one who personally oversaw it's implementation as energy minister. That and just how effective a very temporary freeze would be since the energy companies would merely jack the prices up again even more afterwards to compensate
  • Options
    Good article, Mr Herdson, except for this (widely held) misperception:

Perhaps the biggest turnaround in fortunes in the last year is that Ed Miliband is now rated far better among those who say they’d vote Labour were there an election now.

Do you think Ed Miliband is doing well or badly as leader of the Labour party? (Labour VI net)
    Nov 2 2012: +45
    Nov 1 2013: +44

Miliband has recovered in the past 6 months - in early May he was on +34 with Labour VI - but he has not made progress vs year ago, in either image terms, or polling, where Labour have fallen back.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Bush in 2000 had a folksy charm that resonated with a large number of the US public, to put him in contention with a shot of beating a stiff Gore.

He also played on bringing some morals back to the whitehouse, after the Clinton shenanigans.

I would hardly call Ed Milliband folksy, more of a Wilson, hoping to catch the mood of the day,and scrape to a 1964 type win, against a fox hunting, grouse shooting, modern day equivalent, percieved out of touch elite.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    As someone who left the Labour party because of the Iraq war, I can seee that a lot of these voters who went LD in 2005-10 are retivable by a party that makes a clear break with Blairite foreign wars. It is not just the warmongering that needs to be consigned to history, but also the mendacity of the Dodgy Dossier. Labour made progress on this with the Syria vote outcome, however arrived at, but it needs to consign Alistair Campbell to history.

If EdM were to consign Balls to history also, then I would be impressed that he was also serious about breaking with the Brownite money tree economic policy.

I quite like Ed M and do not misunderestimate him. Getting the Labour core vote out to vote may be critical in the difference between majority and minority govt.

Good article, reinforcing David's formidable reputation as a Tory partisan who can be compeltely detached when writing thread headers (and is always worth reading anyway). Ed was always underestimated (still is IMO), though a large part of his recovery among Labour voters is not that they thought he was crap but that they want a Labour victory and now feel more confident that he'll deliver it than they used to.

IOS said:

Back in the real world, normal people (ie. nobody who posts on PB) have completely, totally and utterly forgotten about "The Syria Vote" already. If they even knew about "The Syria Vote" in the first place. Which most of them didn't.)
    Actually it's still a big issue among middle-class LibDem 2010 voters, with whom it reinforced the switch to Labour because they'd often switched TO the LibDems over Iraq. It comes up spontaneously on their doorsteps quite a bit - more than energy prices or any local issue. Political pundits often don't understand that cohort, which is critical in my patch and perhaps many other marginals. Most of the classic lines like "All politics is local" and "It's the economy, stupid" don't apply to them (think Guardian).

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    edited November 2013
    Yorkcity said:

I would hardly call Ed Milliband folksy, more of a Wilson, hoping to catch the mood of the day,and scrape to a 1964 type win, against a fox hunting, grouse shooting, modern day equivalent, percieved out of touch elite.

I agree - Wilson is I think the closest equivalent - a slippery technocrat - tho Ed lacks Wilson's slightly blokeish charm - and I pray his electoral success.....
  • Options

If EdM were to consign Balls to history also, then I would be impressed that he was also serious about breaking with the Brownite money tree economic policy.

IOS said:

Agree - that would be a 'break with the past' with a vengeance - but surely he's left it too late now? He's got the Union thing to sort out next spring (who knows what the Sunday's have ready for that...) and after that its 12 months to the GE.......

• Options
    tim said:

The big mistake in British politics over the last five years has been made by those who overestimate David Cameron

Especially by those who said he wouldn't be PM........

• Options
    edited November 2013
    @NickP

"Actually it's still a big issue among middle-class LibDem 2010 voters, with whom it reinforced the switch to Labour...."

I think you are spot on. I was so irritated with what I saw as Lib Dem hypocrisy (the Syria vote was a much bigger betrayal than university fees in my opinion) that I wrote to my Lib Dem MP to clarify his position. He sent me back a two page rambling email blaming it all on Ed Milliband's treachery. I suspect he wont be an MP next time
  • Options
    Boris is being 'helpful' again.
    Telegraph Politics ‏@TelePolitics 1h

David Cameron and Nick Clegg should publish their tax returns, says Boris Johnson http://tgr.ph/1hsRdls
    LOL

:)
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    tim said:

The big mistake in British politics over the last five years has been made by those who overestimate David Cameron

In opposition Cameron had the look of a PM and he tried to Imitate the charm of Blair.
    However the angry red man was always just under the the radar.

In government he shows very little charm and humour, and the anger is nearly always ever present in his dealing with any opposition.
  • Options
    I agree DH; I think that Ed M has shred up his position quite well. He is much better at tactics than strategy, and that in itself is Wilson like. But let us not forget that Wilson was quite effective at winning elections winning 4 to Blairs 3 and Atlee 2. It is surprising sometimes that Labour are so against their leaders with successful campaign badges. Maybe because their governments were dominated by internal power struggles and tactics over strategy?

I do not think a 2015 Labour govt would be the disaster that a 2010 would have been. I would be happier were Balls to be booted out, both for his economic legacy and also for his attempts at undermining Miliband.

Miliband as Wilson revisited is more credible than Red Ed.

Thanks for your comment.

I agree with you that one should be extremely wary of applying a comment like 'what's true for America is true here' on a general basis. American politics has some similarities with the UK but many differences too (in fact, we're probably closer to most European political systems than the US', though those too have significant differences, particularly PR as a rule).

I hadn't meant it as a general statement and apologies if it came across like that; it was the Bush/Strauss quote as a campaigning rule of thumb it applied to, and I think that does carry across the Atlantic (and indeed to any democracy where there is a large section who are only marginally engaged with the system).
  • Options
    Well, can't stay and chat all day. I'm off to the Yorkshire Conservatives regional mini-conference to hear what Lynton Crosby has to say and perhaps give him some advice.

Ref the piece, for those who haven't got it yet, it's meant to be a joke where I speculate whether Bush has been advising Miliband. I do think they're quite different politicians really and not natural bedfellows. Yes, really. That doesn't undermine the central point about fooling some of the people all of the time.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    edited November 2013
    Good article David.

Ed Miliband has had a good autumn but as Carlotta points out this is relative in that he had a terrible spring and summer. There were many points when many wondered if he was going to be an IDS and insults don't get much harsher than that.

The price of those poor efforts was that he did not really capitalise on the hard times the government went through. He kept his lead but made almost no impact on tory support, relying on UKIP to do it for him. Now he has lifted his game but he has done so in what should be a more beneign environment for the government. Will that be enough to keep his lead and win? So far so good for Ed but there is still a longish way to go.

My guess is that the populist stuff about energy and living wages will ultimately blow up in his face and he will not be deemed a credible PM but this guess is undoubtedly stongly influenced by my own prejudices and wishful thinking. The election is not his to lose but he can certainly win it.
  • Options

Well, can't stay and chat all day. I'm off to the Yorkshire Conservatives regional mini-conference to hear what Lynton Crosby has to say and perhaps give him some advice.

Advice on public relations to 'the master'?

Surely not?
    Abubakr Al-Shamahi ‏@abubakrabdullah

'f****** Muslims' | Lynton Crosby: Foul-mouthed abuse by campaign chief revealed as he lands top Tory post http://bit.ly/UO4fhX
  • Options
    OT Following on from last night's discussion on gun control, a long but fascinating piece on the "Eleven Nations of North America"

http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine/fall2013/features/up-in-arms.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

I

Because I don't think the Tory party could cope if the European Court of Human Rights declared Ed the winner.

I don't the Daily Mail ould be able to cope either. And that's putting it mildly!
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    "Miliband’s proposals have caught the imagination because they spring from a genuine feeling of grievance about energy prices and low pay. Even if people don’t believe they would work, they at least think that Labour recognises the problem"

I think that works if your focus is the next YouGov poll, I don't think it translates to votes at a general election. At that time, firstly the government will put their response (for energy this will be the tories promising a cut rather than a freeze, via the green tax issue and this will be franked by the energy companies) secondly, people won't actually vote for something they don't believe in though they may support it in a mid term poll to send a message.

Many peple think Osborne's mid term Inheritance Tax policy was the game changer last time, it wasn't, the bottled election was, it galvanised the tories, ensured a united conference and undermined Brown's credibility from that point to the election.
  • Options
    My view is that the best time to move against Balls is a summer rehuffle next year. Balls in anothe post or on the backbenches then would be muzzled by pre election discipline and not the threat that an earlier move would create. It would also allow a new SCotE to establish a narrative. Perhaps someone like Chuka with no baggage would not frighten the horses.

DH: have a good day, and I hope some of your common sense rubs off.

IOS said:

Agree - that would be a 'break with the past' with a vengeance - but surely he's left it too late now? He's got the Union thing to sort out next spring (who knows what the Sunday's have ready for that...) and after that its 12 months to the GE.......

• Options
    edited November 2013
    @Carlotta

"George Osborne’s dominatrix friend lets rip"

I have to say I really dislike kiss and tell stories and apart from one or two prurient oddballs I'm sure the public couldn't care less either. it's unfortunate for wives and partners but publishers and newspapers don't care about that. What makes this story slightly interesting is this: (and like everything to do with our security services who would certainly have been behind it-it stinks.)

"Two days after Mandrake disclosed in September that Rowe was in advanced negotiations with publishers about her memoirs, her home in Chelsea was raided by the police.

Up to 12 Drugs Squad officers armed with a battering ram burst into her flat in a dawn swoop, claiming that they were acting on a tip-off from a member of the public.

However, no drugs were found in the two-hour search, during which, Rowe claims, she was threatened with being handcuffed, and had questions asked about her book."

• Options
    Good morning, everyone.

On Brown bottling the election: I think the mistake was the explicit admission there wouldn't be one, as well as the Yes, Your Excellency approach of the tete-a-tete with Marr.

At that point the Conservatives knew they'd 'won', and Cameron had one of the best PMQ lines in recent history "First PM to flunk an election because he thought he was going to win it."

Simply letting the matter drift would probably have been better, because the blues would've been uncertain whether or not it could still happen for weeks or months to come. Then again, we don't have the counter-factual for comparison.

I agree that there's a sadly realistic prospect of the opportunistic little shit getting in. It probably won't be quite the catastrophe that Brown II would've been, but with Ed 'I cry when green deals aren't made' Miliband at the helm and Balls as Chancellor, coupled with a still enormous deficit and a eurozone just taking a breath between crises, I imagine it'll still be bloody terrible.

Which raises an interesting question: would a Lab-Lib Coalition be better? (If those were the only two options).
  • Options
    I think there's two parts to this: Ed has started to talk about things that matter to Labour-inclined voters. The detail is much less important than the fact he has found language that makes a connection. Just as important, though, has been the Tory response: crying Marx and back to the 70s was palpable nonsense, especially when on both energy and building land they are now desperately trying to catch up. They just look hopelessly out of touch from a left of centre perspective.

That said, it's worth remembering that Ed is still not an overall positive. However, in the battle of toxicities (Brand Ed v Brand Tory) the events of the last few months - Syria, the conference season, the Tory swing to the right etc - have given Ed an edge he may not have had before.
  • Options
    A LD Labour coalition would be interesting, not least because with a diminished number of seats and votes the LDs would stretch credibility as kingmakers. It would also depend on which LDs survived the electoral cull. If it is David Laws and Jeremy Browne then a very different LD party to Cable and Davey.

I suspect that confidence and supply would be more likely than a formal coalition.

Good morning, everyone.

On Brown bottling the election: I think the mistake was the explicit admission there wouldn't be one, as well as the Yes, Your Excellency approach of the tete-a-tete with Marr.

At that point the Conservatives knew they'd 'won', and Cameron had one of the best PMQ lines in recent history "First PM to flunk an election because he thought he was going to win it."

Simply letting the matter drift would probably have been better, because the blues would've been uncertain whether or not it could still happen for weeks or months to come. Then again, we don't have the counter-factual for comparison.

I agree that there's a sadly realistic prospect of the opportunistic little shit getting in. It probably won't be quite the catastrophe that Brown II would've been, but with Ed 'I cry when green deals aren't made' Miliband at the helm and Balls as Chancellor, coupled with a still enormous deficit and a eurozone just taking a breath between crises, I imagine it'll still be bloody terrible.

Which raises an interesting question: would a Lab-Lib Coalition be better? (If those were the only two options).

• Options
    Schards said:

"Miliband’s proposals have caught the imagination because they spring from a genuine feeling of grievance about energy prices and low pay. Even if people don’t believe they would work, they at least think that Labour recognises the problem"

I think that works if your focus is the next YouGov poll, I don't think it translates to votes at a general election. At that time, firstly the government will put their response (for energy this will be the tories promising a cut rather than a freeze, via the green tax issue and this will be franked by the energy companies) secondly, people won't actually vote for something they don't believe in though they may support it in a mid term poll to send a message.

Many peple think Osborne's mid term Inheritance Tax policy was the game changer last time, it wasn't, the bottled election was, it galvanised the tories, ensured a united conference and undermined Brown's credibility from that point to the election.

The government will not be standing for re-election in 2015. Anything it does on energy will - quite rightly - be seen as a response to Ed. As a result, any electoral benefits will be minimal. It's just stunning that the Tories have shown themselves to be so out of touch. I guess they got too focused on UKIP.

• Options
    edited November 2013

Good morning, everyone.

On Brown bottling the election: I think the mistake was the explicit admission there wouldn't be one

Which he had to make because the Blair Brown split was still raging away with some of his ministers in the "go for it" camp and some in the "too risky" camp both giving him conflicting advice. So when Brown dithered some of them went public with that advice to try and force his hand which just helped fuel the media speculation on an early election.

I agree that there's a sadly realistic prospect of the opportunistic little shit getting in

Which begs the question whether opposition leaders are always opportunistic little shits since we all remember Cammie was posturing away on "the Big Society", hugging husklies and "vote blue go green" at the last election, yet curiously doesn't seem too keen to talk about that very much now.

Promises and pledges all boil down to trust (even cast iron ones) so it will be interesting to see whether it is better at an election to be an opportunistic little shit or an out of touch shit.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I think there's two parts to this: Ed has started to talk about things that matter to Labour-inclined voters. The detail is much less important than the fact he has found language that makes a connection. Just as important, though, has been the Tory response: crying Marx and back to the 70s was palpable nonsense, especially when on both energy and building land they are now desperately trying to catch up. They just look hopelessly out of touch from a left of centre perspective.

That said, it's worth remembering that Ed is still not an overall positive. However, in the battle of toxicities (Brand Ed v Brand Tory) the events of the last few months - Syria, the conference season, the Tory swing to the right etc - have given Ed an edge he may not have had before.

I think that's fair (although the Tories haven't notably swung to the right in my view).

More worrying to me are things like the energy price freeze. It's clear that the energy companies collective take the piss, and that there is a lack of competition. It's clear that there is the need for reform - and I would be quite happy with shifting the cost of green programmes to central tax because, fundamentally, it is a political choice of the government to spend money on these items and they should try to hide the cost. But to try and break the price transmission mechanism - the only effective way we have to really understand supply and demand - seems to either demonstrate a complete lack of understanding on how a market economy works or to be utterly opportunistic.

It's clear that EdM is a good politician in the backrooms and has recently shown that he can be an effective politician in setting the debate. I am more and more worried that he will be a uniquely terrible prime minister though.
  • Options

Schards said:

The government will not be standing for re-election in 2015. Anything it does on energy will - quite rightly - be seen as a response to Ed. As a result, any electoral benefits will be minimal. It's just stunning that the Tories have shown themselves to be so out of touch. I guess they got too focused on UKIP.

"out of touch" is just an empty soundbite though isn't it?

Do you actually think it's come as a surprise to the government that the public aren't happy with their energy bill going up? Of course it hasn't.

They've been blindsided by Miliband's populist claptrap and the response has been poor but that is not the same as being "out of touch"

Maybe it's my failing memory but I don't remember anything like this sort of coverage when gas prices went up 32% in 2008. Maybe it's because the smaller problems get greater attention when the bigger problems such as the economy/unemployment are in hand.
  • Options
    Schards said:

Schards said:

Do you actually think it's come as a surprise to the government that the public aren't happy with their energy bill going up? Of course it hasn't.

They've been blindsided by Miliband's populist claptrap and the response has been poor but that is not the same as being "out of touch"

Maybe it's my failing memory but I don't remember anything like this sort of coverage when gas prices went up 32% in 2008. Maybe it's because the smaller problems get greater attention when the bigger problems such as the economy/unemployment are in hand.

The cost of living is much more of an issue now than in 2008. The Tories certainly give the impression they have not noticed this, even if in reality they have.

• Options
    "Ed, will freeze your energy bills"

" but he'll stick your petrol up 14 p a litre, stick your council tax up and cause the mortgage rate to rise"

That's that dealt with among the people who will ultimately decide the election.

Green taxes now in the firing line. What's he going to do? Argue to keep taxes up? Increase taxes on fuel bills if he wins?

He lost the war ages ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Schards said:

Compared to "we're all in this together", "vote blue go green", "Alarm Clock Britain" or "No more broken promises"?

*chortle*

There's fairly regular polling on "out of touch" for politicians since it is a useful metric on trust but by no means the only one. As has already been stated little Ed's policy is pretty popular but there's also polling that shows he isn't believed enough on it for it to be anything like an election winner. That points to the public wanting action on the subject but also that the public certainly aren't all convinced little Ed's solution is necessarily the correct one. Hence the policy pledges to come on the subject from Cameron and no doubt Clegg as well eventually.
  • Options
    Ed is doing what all LOTO are supposed to do. They are all opportunistic. They seize on issues and try to set the agenda on them and position themselves on the right side of public opinion. Cameron did exactly the same. Over the last few months Ed has started saying stuff that centre-left, anti-Tory voters want to hear in a way that connects. He has not reached beyond that constituency - but to win he does not have to. Over a slightly longer timeframe Tory rhetoric has been designed to appeal to right-wing UKIP-inclined voters. The Tories clearly believe them plus the base can get take them to victory in 2015.

As I have said before on here, our two major parties are talking to two very different sets of voters and have no real interest in talking to the country as a whole.

• Options
    edited November 2013

The cost of living is much more of an issue now than in 2008. The Tories certainly give the impression they have not noticed this, even if in reality they have.

They did notice it and long before little Ed's populist posturing. The difference is Cameron's populist posturing was hastily shelved and forgotten by the tories since it was yet more incompetence.
    Millions to see energy bills fall after David Cameron promises tariff reform

Millions of households will see a fall in their gas and electricity bills after David Cameron said he will force energy companies to give every customer the cheapest possible deal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/9616124/Millions-to-see-energy-bills-fall-after-David-Cameron-promises-tariff-reform.html
    Surprise, surprise...
    John Edginton ‏@JohnEdginton 4 Feb

Government to U-turn on Cameron pledge to force Big Six energy companies to give customers cheapest tariff http://tinyurl.com/b5knho7

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Why is it that we have to discuss that empty sack, Millipede? Surely there must be better threads than this?
  • Options
    JackW said:

A pretty safe assertion. An independent Scotland would still have a First Minister, of whatever political stripe.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

mass immigration creates a deflationary spiral by reducing the velocity of money

The same mechanism causes the boom-bust cycle imo.

When banks create a credit boom they gradually soak up all the available discretionary spending (higher velocity) and turn it into debt repayments (lower velocity). As they approach debt saturation although on the surface the nominal money supply is still expanding underneath the real money supply (velocity of money times the nominal money supply) starts to contract and you get a hidden deflationary spiral.
  • Options

Schards said:

Actually both food price inflation and housing/water/fuel inflation were much higher in 2008, at about 8-9%, than they are now, about 4%.

This, together with Labour increasing income tax rates on the low paid, was behind the big swing to the Conservatives among working class voters at that time.

But I doubt the Cameroons have ever understood that.
  • Options
    Is Bloom making a bid to be leader of the tea party tories? ;^ )
    Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook

Top post from yesterday >> Godfrey Bloom suggests unemployed and public sector workers should be banned from voting http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/11/godfrey-bloom-ban-unemployed-and-public-sector-workers-from-voting/
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MikeK said:

Why is it that we have to discuss that empty sack, Millipede? Surely there must be better threads than this?

Why not submit one to Mike? You could write it on how many MP's UKIP will have after the next election. It wouldn't take you long.

• Options
    @Charles

" I am more and more worried that he will be a uniquely terrible prime minister though. "

How high is the bar set?

I thought the consensus was that we had just got rid of one of the worst ever.
  • Options

Actually both food price inflation and housing/water/fuel inflation were much higher in 2008, at about 8-9%, than they are now, about 4%.

This, together with Labour increasing income tax rates on the low paid, was behind the big swing to the Conservatives among working class voters at that time.

But I doubt the Cameroons have ever understood that.

More importantly for Labour, they either need to jump on that and call it lies, or persuade everyone that it was all Fatcha's fault.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

He has more chance of being PM than Nigel Farage. And, despite my earlier comments, he would be better at the job.

But if you don't like the conversation, you don't have to participate. That's the advantage of living in a free country.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Saturday morning has been David Herdson's slot for years and he writes what he wants to write wthout any direction from me. Same goes for Henry G on Fridays.

• Options
    If Ed Miliband is next PM, UKIP will have delivered him the key.

If kippers think this is the price worth paying to bring down Cameron, then fair enough.
    MikeK said:

• Options

@Charles

" I am more and more worried that he will be a uniquely terrible prime minister though. "

How high is the bar set?

Brown was totally unsuited to being Prime Minister - I think he spent all his time scheming on how to get the job, and didn't have an agenda of what he wanted to do when he got it. I think he struggled under the pressure of the role. He also made a lot of bad decisions - Lloyds/HBOS being one that jumps out at me - with hideous consequences. But uniquely bad? Don't think so - although I would be much much more critical of his time as Chancellor than his time as PM.

But I don't recall him trying to undermine the market economy.
  • Options
    Interesting article by Jonathan Freedland:

"Politicians, learn this: people cannot live by bread alone
    Russell Brand, Grayson Perry and co are our new priests, plugging a gap the church no longer fills and that our leaders fear to address'

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/politicians-russell-brand-grayson-perry-priests?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    Charles said:

@Charles

How high is the bar set?

Brown was totally unsuited to being Prime Minister - I think he spent all his time scheming on how to get the job, and didn't have an agenda of what he wanted to do when he got it. I think he struggled under the pressure of the role. He also made a lot of bad decisions - Lloyds/HBOS being one that jumps out at me - with hideous consequences. But uniquely bad? Don't think so - although I would be much much more critical of his time as Chancellor than his time as PM.

Interesting, Charles.

I'm inclined to the opposite view on his role as Chancellor. I thought he was pretty good, until he got political towards the end. When he eventually became PM, he subordinated economics to his 'politics', with bad results.

I do agree he was completely unsuited to the position of PM, as many in the Labour Party (notably Blair) knew well. He wasn't all bad though and I suspect history may be kinder on him than we are now, though that may not be saying much.

Not sure about Ed. I thought he was a dreadful choice, but he has exceeded my low expectations and may surprise further.

• Options
    Charles said:

I don't see much difference between the economic philosophies of Brown, Cameron or Miliband ie big government and big business corporotism.

After all there were few objections to Brown's economic mismangement from the Cameroons.

And what are plebibition and government energy policy but attempts to undermine the market economy ?
  • Options

Ed is doing what all LOTO are supposed to do. They are all opportunistic. They seize on issues and try to set the agenda on them and position themselves on the right side of public opinion. Cameron did exactly the same. Over the last few months Ed has started saying stuff that centre-left, anti-Tory voters want to hear in a way that connects. He has not reached beyond that constituency - but to win he does not have to. Over a slightly longer timeframe Tory rhetoric has been designed to appeal to right-wing UKIP-inclined voters. The Tories clearly believe them plus the base can get take them to victory in 2015.

As I have said before on here, our two major parties are talking to two very different sets of voters and have no real interest in talking to the country as a whole.

What about the Labour/Tory swing voters in huge numbers of Midlands marginals or even the Tory/Liberal swing voters in the South West, who will vote only at General Elections and will vote for the best option at the time. At the end of it all parties are after those voters.

Energy prices are bound to connect but where else can Labour go, their record on Council Tax, Road Fuel, NI, 10 Tax, Pensions etc was lousy. When demand and wages rise I can't see where they can take this cost of living so called crisis.

• Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Milliband halted Cameron & Cleggs headlong rush into conflict in Syria. I am doing Voter Identification work in a Con/Lab marginal (Tory Maj 2000+) and this is coming up regularly with 2010 Lib Dem voters, particularly those who voted Lib Dem over Iraq. The Tory PBers could not be more wrong when they claimed Syria would be Ed's downfall. It's solidifying the Lib Dem vote that had already switched and is bringing new ones over. We have 10,000 2010 Lib Dems to go for and I think it is going to help us get there.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    edited November 2013

In response to another richard
    "Actually both food price inflation and housing/water/fuel inflation were much higher in 2008, at about 8-9%, than they are now, about 4%.

But I doubt the Cameroons have ever understood that. "

Why was inflation on the above higher in 2008 than now ? Think this needs a bit of analysis.

In relation to food, I seem to remember years (2006/07) when there were bad harvests and therefore there was less supply, increasing costs.

In regard to the other items, I suspect that if you research these, you will find factors which are behind the increases, which have nothing to do with government action/inaction.

There is a danger that people start quoting general issues which have nothing to do with government policies. Labour have said that they will freeze energy prices by passing legislation that enables this. They say that they will be reviewing the way that energy markets work for consumers. This may be dishonest politics, as nearer to the time of such a freeze, there may be issues which make this difficult to apply. However, Labour have picked up that people are fed up with their essential services run by private companies going up in price every year by more than inflation. According to polling, there is now a majority of people wanting some of the utilities to be renationalised.

The question people should be asking in regard to politics, is whether austerity/globalisation issues will make the majority of people look to left of centre parties ? I think this is quite possible, as people look to government to provide protection from a changing world. The Tories are less keen on government interfering in markets and they will therefore not pick up votes from people who look to the government for help. Labour on the other hand, are the party best placed to pick up votes from people who want government to take an active role in the markets, by applying better regulation and policies which arguably lead to cheaper prices for consumers. The Tories will struggle to argue against this and will need the help of the utility companies up to May 2015.
  • Options
    Brown was chancellor during a massive credit boom sparked by non-regulating the banks.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Schards said:

Compared to "we're all in this together", "vote blue go green", "Alarm Clock Britain" or "No more broken promises"?

*chortle*

I can't agree that "all in this together" is an empty soundbite as Cameron has delivered on it:

High earners paying more tax
    Low earners paying less tax
    Inequality falling
    Impact of recession falling more on the wealthy than the poor
    1m more jobs/below cost of living pay rises as opposed to 1m fewer jobs and above cost of living price rises - surely this would be what all socialists want, apparantly not.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    OllyT said:

Milliband halted Cameron & Cleggs headlong rush into conflict in Syria. I am doing Voter Identification work in a Con/Lab marginal (Tory Maj 2000+) and this is coming up regularly with 2010 Lib Dem voters, particularly those who voted Lib Dem over Iraq. The Tory PBers could not be more wrong when they claimed Syria would be Ed's downfall. It's solidifying the Lib Dem vote that had already switched and is bringing new ones over. We have 10,000 2010 Lib Dems to go for and I think it is going to help us get there.

For whom are you 'voter identifying'? Labour presumably. Sounds suspiciously like what we old 'uns call canvassing.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Schards said:

Mick_Pork said:

Schards said:

*chortle*

I can't agree that "all in this together" is an empty soundbite as Cameron has delivered on it:

Inequality falling
    1m more jobs/below cost of living pay rises as opposed to 1m fewer jobs and above cost of living price rises - surely this would be what all socialists want, apparantly not.
    In what universe did that happen, certainly not an honest view of the UK , unless you are being witty
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Schards said:

Mick_Pork said:

Schards said:

*chortle*

Then I look forward to him repeating it as often as possible come the next election as it won't make him look out of touch at all, will it?

Perhaps he could also add "you've never had it so good" to his many spin lines as I'm sure that will be believed by the voter too.

Alternatively he could rant hysterically about socialists and marxists since we know that's bound to work and doesn't sound desperate in the slightest.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Schards said:

Mick_Pork said:

Schards said:

*chortle*

Inequality falling
    Osborne destroyed the " all in it together " meme when he cut the top rate of income tax from 50 to 45% . Irrespective of whether it was right or wrong to do so and anything else he has done the message he sent out was clear and wrong .
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "we're all in this together"
    Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 14h

The majority of MP's now think they should b paid £86,251 pa The av wage is £26,000 pa this is what they shld receive http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487070/MPs-11-pay-rise-says-deputy-Commons-Speaker.html

Steven Old ‏@Ablyss01 4h

MPs get FREE Sky Sports access in their offices while taxpayers pay up to £50 per month http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mps-free-sky-sports-access-2685984#.Un3Wt3wPu4g.twitter

Alisa Krasnostein ‏@Krasnostein 4h

So if MPs make incorrect travel claims as of next year they have to pay 125%? The rest of us get done for fraud but oh well

Are We All Asleep ? ‏@demindblower

‘Disgraceful’ MPs get taxpayers to pay £200,000 energy bill - while we pay for them & us ? http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/03/disgraceful-mps-get-taxpayers-to-pay-200000-energy-bill-4171134/?ITO=facebook … pic.twitter.com/GKdYezWuOy

The Independent ‏@Independent

Let MPs have their 11 per cent pay rise, party leaders told http://ind.pn/1cFCltJ
    Quite.

• Options
    OT UK government blocking attempts to examine governments deliberately making our software insecure and more easily broken by hackers and foreign governments, which they've been doing in the hope that they'll then be better at exploiting the vulnerabilities in our systems than their enemies, thus putting them at a relative advantage.

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/nov/08/uk-blocks-attempt-council-europe-inquiry-online-spying

If the liberals and democrats got together maybe we could make a small party with a blocking minority, which it could use to get into government and stop authoritarians and people who don't understand internet security from doing shit like this.
  • Options

Charles said:

@Charles

How high is the bar set?

Interesting, Charles.

I'm inclined to the opposite view on his role as Chancellor. I thought he was pretty good, until he got political towards the end. When he eventually became PM, he subordinated economics to his 'politics', with bad results.

I do agree he was completely unsuited to the position of PM, as many in the Labour Party (notably Blair) knew well. He wasn't all bad though and I suspect history may be kinder on him than we are now, though that may not be saying much.

Not sure about Ed. I thought he was a dreadful choice, but he has exceeded my low expectations and may surprise further.

The reputation as Chancellor came from the first few years. The big issues for me:

- Stealth taxes: effectively lying to the public*
    - PFI: expensive and used inappropriately to try and hide spending levels*
    - Believing his own bullshit and building in an unsustainable level of current spending on the assumption that the income from the financial sector was more than a bubble
    - Screwing up the regulatory system for the financial sector
    - Introducing massive complexity into the tax system
    - Final destruction of the private pension system

Basically he was a classic spend to destruction Labour politician but he was clever to do so in a way that hide the true cost of his plans. The Enron of British politics.

* Yes, I know those were used by the Tories first, but there was a difference in scale and also in application (particularly the misuse of PFI)
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Charles said:

I don't see much difference between the economic philosophies of Brown, Cameron or Miliband ie big government and big business corporotism.

After all there were few objections to Brown's economic mismangement from the Cameroons.

And what are plebibition and government energy policy but attempts to undermine the market economy ?
    To be fair to the Cameroons, a lot of the problems were pre 2005. They were also trying to establish themselves in a boom environment. Perhaps they fell for the bullshit too, but you forget how inexperienced they were and how they were coming off the back of 3 bad defeats for the Tories.

On corporatism I take your point, and that is my biggest concern about the current government (although I fear it wouldn't be different under a conservative government). Big business is important, but it is not the only representative of business and multinationals as a group have their own interests that are not synonymous with either the business sector as a whole or the UK

Not sure what "plebibition" refers to but if minimum alcohol prices, I agree, but think it has been dropped (?). On the tax policies, increasing energy prices isn't undermining the market economy but is working with it to achieve a political end through using prices to change consumer behaviour
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

"we're all in this together"

Jane Hersey ‏@HerseyJane 14h

The majority of MP's now think they should b paid £86,251 pa The av wage is £26,000 pa this is what they shld receive http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487070/MPs-11-pay-rise-says-deputy-Commons-Speaker.html

Steven Old ‏@Ablyss01 4h

MPs get FREE Sky Sports access in their offices while taxpayers pay up to £50 per month http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mps-free-sky-sports-access-2685984#.Un3Wt3wPu4g.twitter

Alisa Krasnostein ‏@Krasnostein 4h

So if MPs make incorrect travel claims as of next year they have to pay 125%? The rest of us get done for fraud but oh well

Are We All Asleep ? ‏@demindblower

‘Disgraceful’ MPs get taxpayers to pay £200,000 energy bill - while we pay for them & us ? http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/03/disgraceful-mps-get-taxpayers-to-pay-200000-energy-bill-4171134/?ITO=facebook … pic.twitter.com/GKdYezWuOy

The Independent ‏@Independent

Let MPs have their 11 per cent pay rise, party leaders told http://ind.pn/1cFCltJ
    Quite.

And Clegg was having a go at Paxman for being mean about politicians!

They really don't want us to like them, do they?
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

In relation to food, I seem to remember years (2006/07) when there were bad harvests and therefore there was less supply, increasing costs.

In regard to the other items, I suspect that if you research these, you will find factors which are behind the increases, which have nothing to do with government action/inaction.

A key driver of food prices is government policy - bioethanol subsidies diverted grain from the feedstuff market, increasing input prices for the agricultural sector and driving up food prices as a result
This discussion has been closed.