Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s protégée, Rebecca Long-Bailey, now betting favourite

124»

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,137
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

The Autumn of 2000 was the wettest recorded in the United Kingdom since records began and I spent three days of it at a conference of local government lawyers in Blackpool. I’ve had better weeks.

Good grief.

You know that's illegal in the US? Contravenes the eighth amendment.
    I’m grateful for the support. It was so harrowing I became an employment lawyer instead very soon after. That’s how bad it was. That, in turn, led to my minuscule claim to political fame in that some years I ended up being offered Chuka Umunna’s old job at Rochman Landau.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    USA 2-1 England at half-time.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

rcs1000 said:

While I know everybody is watching the football, I thought I'd write a quick comment on Christine Lagarde's appointment to head the ECB.

I've never met her, but I have friends who worked for her at the IMF. They all have a great deal of respect for her: she's extremely sharp, and very driven.

What she is not - though - is an academic economist. What views she has are pretty orthodox (the IMF shaped her, rather than the other way around). She believes countries need to live within their means, and I think she's likely to clash early and often with the Italians.

(That being said: I wouldn't be surprised if she resurrected the Eurobond idea - where countries debts are severally guaranteed up to a certain percentage of GDP. The price for this, though, would be the ECB taking an increasingly activist role in policing countries budgets.)

Christine Lagarde got the IMF gig because George Osborne rather spitefully refused to nominate Gordon Brown, who was preferred by the Americans.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/may/23/imf-succession-agenda-brown-cameron
    If you have read any of the books about Browns time in office, then it is easy to know why no sane person would recommend him for a job that involved having power over people. He needed help not another high pressure job. It is noticable that he has never been offered a job where he has direct reports since leaving Downing Street.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1146073089723289600?s=20

So Boris also commits to avoid a hard border in Ireland

So Remain it is then.

Does Bozo think he can just spout any old shite and people will fall for it?
    If we leave the EU without a deal then we will be sued by the WTO if we fail to implement border controls and tariffs, as would the EU if they let it happen. You can’t just sit there and day there won’t be a hard border how does he get away with complete crap?
    I am interested in this question and i have not seen that the WTO can take universal action, for clarity I have not seen that they can not. Having said that the normal sequence of events is that a member instigates the action and it must prove that its trade has, has being the important word, damaged by the actions of the country that has made a change. This means that a period of time must past to prove the trade has been damaged and what country would be able to claim that if we did implement implement tariffs or not that are the same for the RoW as they are for RoI?
    In the absence if a FTA, if the UK chose not levy tariffs on goods coming from the Republic, while simultaneously charging them on (say) goods from Colombia, then the Colombian government would bring a case to the WTO.

The Colombians would argue that the UK was in breach the non discrimination rules. (And as we would clearly be in breach, I don't see how we would win the case.)

If we were to announce that the UK was not imposing any external tariffs, that would solve the problem.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

rcs1000 said:

While I know everybody is watching the football, I thought I'd write a quick comment on Christine Lagarde's appointment to head the ECB.

I've never met her, but I have friends who worked for her at the IMF. They all have a great deal of respect for her: she's extremely sharp, and very driven.

What she is not - though - is an academic economist. What views she has are pretty orthodox (the IMF shaped her, rather than the other way around). She believes countries need to live within their means, and I think she's likely to clash early and often with the Italians.

(That being said: I wouldn't be surprised if she resurrected the Eurobond idea - where countries debts are severally guaranteed up to a certain percentage of GDP. The price for this, though, would be the ECB taking an increasingly activist role in policing countries budgets.)

Christine Lagarde got the IMF gig because George Osborne rather spitefully refused to nominate Gordon Brown, who was preferred by the Americans.
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/may/23/imf-succession-agenda-brown-cameron
    If you have read any of the books about Browns time in office, then it is easy to know why no sane person would recommend him for a job that involved having power over people. He needed help not another high pressure job. It is noticable that he has never been offered a job where he has direct reports since leaving Downing Street.
    Has he asked for one? I must admit I've no idea what he has done since leaving Downing Street.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Interesting introduction:

Citizenship of the Union is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States

Not even an attempt to hide it!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    edited July 2019
    rcs1000 said:

She believes countries need to live within their means

Can we get her a job here.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

Advice from PBers.

What's the best hotel in Blackpool? Preferably close to the beach.

The stars have (mis)aligned and I need to spend a night in Blackpool.

A taxi back to Manchester?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

rcs1000 said:

Don't a lot of people believe countries need to live within their means, until they face the need to be elected in that country? It's easy for people to believe it when not facing the ballot box.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited July 2019

Roger said:

Roger said:

Advice from PBers.

The Midland which is an authentic Art Deco Hotel in Morcambe is very good and interesting. I went there just to try the hotel a few years ago. Morcambe is next to Blackpool.
    I stayed at the Midland in Morecambe last year.
    What did you think? Interesting hotel less interesting town?
    We stayed during the hottest weekend of the year, the rooms were tiny, and so was the bed, but the rest of the hotel was lovely, the restaurant overlooking/on the beach was breathtaking.

As for the town, there was a LIDL nearby, and I lost count of the number of smackheads and druggies we walked pass.

The most astonishing thing about that place is that it has a Tory MP.

It is the sort of place looks like that is has had only Labour MPs since Queen Victoria's reign.
    A truly dreadful place. One minute you are speeding along a perfectly ordinary motorway; the next you empty into the world’s biggest car park. The only place I have ever got two parking tickets in the same day. The rain and wind Blackpool gets is beyond all reason. After dark the streets are awash with a zombie apocalypse of staggering Glaswegians and Mancunians. The first time I stayed there I had to go back down to reception to complain that there wasn’t a bed in my room, only to have the guy come up and show me how to press the button that unfolded a bed down out of the wardrobe. Followed by a night of wondering whether I might be flipped vertically back into the wardrobe at any minute. Never again.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Advice from PBers.

TSE's got Chubbs tickets (nap).
    https://www.vivablackpool.com/event/roy-chubby-brown/
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

This thread has been deselected

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973
    rcs1000 said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1146073089723289600?s=20

So Boris also commits to avoid a hard border in Ireland

So Remain it is then.

Does Bozo think he can just spout any old shite and people will fall for it?
    If we leave the EU without a deal then we will be sued by the WTO if we fail to implement border controls and tariffs, as would the EU if they let it happen. You can’t just sit there and day there won’t be a hard border how does he get away with complete crap?
    I am interested in this question and i have not seen that the WTO can take universal action, for clarity I have not seen that they can not. Having said that the normal sequence of events is that a member instigates the action and it must prove that its trade has, has being the important word, damaged by the actions of the country that has made a change. This means that a period of time must past to prove the trade has been damaged and what country would be able to claim that if we did implement implement tariffs or not that are the same for the RoW as they are for RoI?
    In the absence if a FTA, if the UK chose not levy tariffs on goods coming from the Republic, while simultaneously charging them on (say) goods from Colombia, then the Colombian government would bring a case to the WTO.

The Colombians would argue that the UK was in breach the non discrimination rules. (And as we would clearly be in breach, I don't see how we would win the case.)

If we were to announce that the UK was not imposing any external tariffs, that would solve the problem.
    And exactly what UK industries are so efficient that they could compete with the rest of the world exporting to us with zero tariffs?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

rcs1000 said:

Yes, we just need to sign up to the Euro :)
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Charles said:

eek said:

I will wait for RCS2000's comments but it's nice to see someone who actually understands economics being appointed to a central bank...
    She’s a lawyer from the lawyer’s-law-firm (Baker Mac)
    Mario Draghi has done a pretty fabulous job, all things considered.
This discussion has been closed.