Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A taste of PMQs with PM Johnson? How he handled City Hall ques

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

Not even to get 300 after that start is criminal.

Yorkshire to the rescue, again.
    We're the backbone of England, Britain, and the UK.
    If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.
    Bristol?
    When I had a job which required me to go to all sorts of sites along the Essex bank of the Thames I used to reckon that Rainham was where an enema for Essex would be plugged in. Now it's featured regularly on BBC TV at the opening of the news and looks quite pleasant, apart from all the pylons.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Great catch from Buttler!!!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Nigelb said:

If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.
    Bristol?
    When I had a job which required me to go to all sorts of sites along the Essex bank of the Thames I used to reckon that Rainham was where an enema for Essex would be plugged in. Now it's featured regularly on BBC TV at the opening of the news and looks quite pleasant, apart from all the pylons.
    Actually I was thinking more in relation to the shape of Great Britain being a man and then Bristol is about right I don’t recall it being worse than anywhere else
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721

Nigelb said:

I just typed in a rather ranty diatribe comparing Southend-on-Sea to Middlesbrough, and then I deleted it. As you were... :)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,533
    Cyclefree said:

Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!
    Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    Boris will resign before the end of the year.
    I think you may well be right. He will have collected the badge by then and that is all he is interested in
    Will we still be in the EU then?

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.
    So quite likely, then ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    O/T

Using run-rate as one of the ways of separating teams at the world cup is a really bad rule, as a lot of people have been saying. It encourages teams to block out the 50 overs in some circumstances.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    _Anazina_ said:

Great catch from Buttler!!!

That one of the world's best batsmen has ten off 24 balls illustrates it's not an easy pitch to bat on.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surely it's time to just check every LBW.

Every close run out is checked, so why not check every LBW? It only takes a few seconds.

The reason every run out is checked is that when introduced it could be checked definitively. Well surely exactly the same principle now applies to LBW.

Logically that's correct, but in that case you might as well get rid of the umpires altogether and I think most cricket fans would probably agree that having them making decisions is an integral part of the game, even if occasionally leads to the wrong decision being made.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Every close run out is checked, so why not check every LBW? It only takes a few seconds.

The reason every run out is checked is that when introduced it could be checked definitively. Well surely exactly the same principle now applies to LBW.

If you checked every LBW, you'd at least double the number of appeals and the game would slow dramatically.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    MikeL said:

Not true, it takes around 100-160 seconds for every Hawkeye projection to be created.

Is why we have DRS to stop bad decisions.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.

I don't think that fits his masterplan.

He only supported Brexit because he thought it would make him PM.

Crashing out and ending his career is probably not what he wants the history books to show...
    Agreed, but when he realises it is actually hard work...?
    Could he re-rat on his abandonment of American citizenship and go back there? Try for President or something.
    I think it is possible to un-renounce (for a fee of course), but he'd have to live 14 years in the US to qualify.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!
    Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
    That's a little-known fact I must say, Prescott would have been a teenager when Eden was PM.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019

MikeL said:

Not true, it takes around 100-160 seconds for every Hawkeye projection to be created.

That's actually very disappointing performance given modern GPU power.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

I think you may well be right. He will have collected the badge by then and that is all he is interested in
    Boris desperately wants to be PM, but I don't think he wants to hold the record for shortest-serving PM. Assuming he takes office on 26th July as planned, he'd have to stay until 23rd November to beat Canning.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MikeL said:

Is 100 seconds that long to get the right decision? Third umpire run out/stumping reviews take longer.
  • Options

MikeL said:

That's actually very disappointing performance given modern GPU power.
    A lot of it is dependent on the host broadcaster, some of them are cheapskates. We're lucky that we have Sky that don't go for the cheap option.

You've also got to factor in the ultra-edge analysis.

Removing hot spot from the equation has shortened the process.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    rpjs said:

Boris desperately wants to be PM, but I don't think he wants to hold the record for shortest-serving PM. Assuming he takes office on 26th July as planned, he'd have to stay until 23rd November to beat Canning.
    He best not call an election then...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287

MikeL said:

Given how slow cricket is that would make no discernible difference to the game at all.

I think AndyJS has given the correct reason - plus the fact that they had already brought TV reviews in for run outs outside the DRS system so no reason to bring run outs into DRS.

However I don't believe the current system makes any sense, checking all closeish LBWs would take very little time and I reckon within 5 to 10 years they'll start doing it without any fuss and everyone will wonder why it wasn't done earlier.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

MikeL said:

Is 100 seconds that long to get the right decision? Third umpire run out/stumping reviews take longer.
    No, that's the time to get all the info to the TV umpire, the TV umpire then takes time to make his decision on top of the 100-160 seconds.

So they have to prepare the best angle for front foot no ball, align the audio visual stuff for ultra edge, and finally the Hawkeye projection.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195
    Christopher Booker, first editor of Private Eye, and leading columnist has died.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Will Ross Thomson be employed to whisper 'Remember you are mortal' into BJ's ear?

No

https://twitter.com/RossThomson_MP/status/1146313705396850688
    Not a Boris fan but he’s right on this. Nudging people in the right direction is a much better way to do things than taxing and banning things.
    There's a massive difference between taxing something and banning stuff though ?
    I'm happy with a sugar tax in principle given the cost externalities picked up by the NHS for obesity, diabetes and so forth.
    Should say Monster energy drink be banned though ? Absolubtely not.
    I think nudging people in the right direction is better for both society and government. As a good example, look at the campaigns about drinking and driving which, over a number of years, have completely changed social attitudes. The shocking AIDS campaign can be put into the same category.

The issue of a sugar tax, as we have seen, is that companies reformulate their products to avoid the taxed item, replacing it with something that much less is known about and may have its own issues down the line.

Additional taxes, apart from being regressive by income, also have the side effect that, if they work as intended to change behaviour over time, they result is falling revenue to the Exchequer. The classic examples of this are fuel duty and VED, which currently contribute some £50bn a year but falling like a stone as we all buy more efficient cars - leaving the government with a huge revenue hole to fill.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Bad news is good news for Wall Street. Markets betting that the Fed will lower interest rates to mitigate slowdown that is already happening - everywhere.
    But the music will have to stop sooner or later. What then ?

President Harris.
  • Options
    Squeaky bum time now in the cricket...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Given how slow cricket is that would make no discernible difference to the game at all...
    One over in a 50 over match currently takes around four minutes, so that's clearly wrong.

Though I guess it just seems a lot longer to you already ?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Given how slow cricket is that would make no discernible difference to the game at all.

I think AndyJS has given the correct reason - plus the fact that they had already brought TV reviews in for run outs outside the DRS system so no reason to bring run outs into DRS.

However I don't believe the current system makes any sense, checking all closeish LBWs would take very little time and I reckon within 5 to 10 years they'll start doing it without any fuss and everyone will wonder why it wasn't done earlier.
    It takes 4 minutes to bowl an over in test cricket, mandatory reviews of every lbw will seriously slow the over rate down to single figures.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, I eagerly await our evil and midriff-baring overladies.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

If you think so, NZ are more than 6/1
  • Options

It's coming home, it's coming home, cricket's coming home I won't be confident until Williamson is out.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

Christopher Booker, first editor of Private Eye, and leading columnist has died.

Very sorry to hear that. Quite apart from his many years fighting against what he saw as the injustices of the state - not least the family courts - he was also a quite remarkable scholarly author. For anyone who is interested in 'stories', novels or literature in general his book 'The Seven Basic Plots' is a must read.

RIP
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

It's coming home, it's coming home, cricket's coming home I won't be confident until Williamson is out.
    The odd thing is, if England win this, then they have beaten two of the three other sides of the top four, which is as good a record as any of them
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,195

Very sorry to hear that. Quite apart from his many years fighting against what he saw as the injustices of the state - not least the family courts - he was also a quite remarkable scholarly author. For anyone who is interested in 'stories', novels or literature in general his book 'The Seven Basic Plots' is a must read.

RIP
    Yes, that book is a classic.
  • Options

That does not mean we're home free. WI made 315 chasing at this ground, just two days ago - from a much less promising position.

Though if Williamson is gone...
  • Options
    Bum less squeaky now....
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    Such a horrible way to get out, but I'll take it!
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    England in the semis.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Scott_P said:
    Leaving the EU would also do the same thing....
  • Options

How about now?
  • Options

How about now?
    Having been an England cricket fan in the 90s I'm never confident.
  • Options

How about now?
    Could be worse.

I was an England cricket fan ex-pat going to high school in Australia in the 90s.
  • Options
    Deary deary me....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    edited July 2019
    New Zealand better hope Pakistan don't put up 400 or some such, then skittle Bangla
  • Options
    edited July 2019

RIP
    Yes, that book is a classic.
    A very interesting and original book, but flawed.

The NYT criticism might well apply to his views on Europe (and his groundless dismissal of global warming)...
    "Mr. Booker evaluates works of art on the basis of how closely they adhere to the archetypes he has so laboriously described; the ones that deviate from those classic patterns are dismissed as flawed or perverse.."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

New Zealand better hope Pakistan don't put up 400 or some such, then skittle Bangla

One chap worked out if England scored 300 and rolled out NZ for 100 then Bangladesh scored 300 and rolled out Pakistan for 100 NZ would still qualify.
  • Options
    Rashid's fielding has improved considerably for this world cup. He's held very good catches, too.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    A parallel universe in which we voted to stay in the EU would be good.
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

It takes 4 minutes to bowl an over in test cricket, mandatory reviews of every lbw will seriously slow the over rate down to single figures.
    Sorry, don't agree. Checking say one LBW per hour would make a very small difference.

It would be up to umpire to say whether it needed checking - so anything obviously not out would not be checked.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    Yes, I couldn't spell his surname either.
  • Options
    As someone who played a game that's a bit like Cricket once said: "It ain't over 'til it's over"!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2019
    Kevin Barron (Rother Valley) confirms his retirement at next GE as expected.

Born in 1946, he was first elected in 1983 GE.

Majority went down to 7.8% in 2017
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Sorry, don't agree. Checking say one LBW per hour would make a very small difference.

It would be up to umpire to say whether it needed checking - so anything obviously not out would not be checked.
    I would change to checking every wicket as a matter of course - there is a natural break anyway. With the present timings I don't think referring every appeal would enhance the game, so I'd keep the fielding side on a review system. One seems a bit harsh for a 50 over game, though.
  • Options

Yes, I couldn't spell his surname either.
    It's an auto-correct disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    edited July 2019

How about now?
    Could be worse.

I was an England cricket fan ex-pat going to high school in Australia in the 90s.
    Immigrant, I think, is probably more accurate.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Rashid's fielding has improved considerably for this world cup. He's held very good catches, too.

Bowling filth, though.
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

I would change to checking every wicket as a matter of course - there is a natural break anyway. With the present timings I don't think referring every appeal would enhance the game, so I'd keep the fielding side on a review system. One seems a bit harsh for a 50 over game, though.
    Root's dismissal concerned me, I'm wondering if the air compression of a cricket ball that whizzes past the bat can produce an ultraedge small spike ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Root's dismissal concerned me, I'm wondering if the air compression of a cricket ball that whizzes past the bat can produce an ultraedge small spike ?
    Theoretically yes but unlikely.

I've seen a few decisions given out which were clearly the sound of the bat hitting the ground/pad or foot scraping.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think you're the first person to suggest that. It is a bit odd. Anyone know why Hotspot isn't being used?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't think you're the first person to suggest that. It is a bit odd. Anyone know why Hotspot isn't being used?
    Hot spot was dropped a while back, hot spot was easily manipulated by the right tape, oil or sticker.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/06/06/hot-spot-can-be-fooled-by-bat-tape-say-scientists/
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    I wonder whether there are any other walks of life other than politics or religion where an arguably irrational belief means that everyone overlooks ineptitude. I mean, would one choose, or even reject, a doctor, accountant, or lawyer, irrespective of their competence and suitability, because they, say, "believed in God"?
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Thanks - yes, that would be a very sensible compromise and far better than current system.

I would work on one unsuccessful review per hour (for fielding side) being acceptable so that would mean three reviews in a 50 over innings.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Yes I wasn't 100% convinced he'd nicked it either. HotSpot would be a useful addition (though it requires educating the commentators about false negatives!)
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,101

A parallel universe in which we voted to stay in the EU would be good.
    Isn't that the Miliverse? I believe everything there is great. England probably beat USA last night.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    just fyi bf are giving me a positive cash out for me having backed NZ.

Edit: backed them at 29 (28s) just after the third wicket.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    If head-to-head matches were being used to separate teams on the same points, Pakistan would be in a good position because they beat New Zealand by 6 wickets at Edgbaston.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868
    edited July 2019

malcolmg said:

England going out of the WC.

Down the WC more likely
    And Scotland?
    you were humped get over it. The humour went right over your head as you were so intent on it being an insult. Just for thickies WC = toilet or World Cup, out of WC , down WC. Get a sense of humour and take that boulder off your shoulder.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If head-to-head matches were being used to separate teams on the same points, Pakistan would be in a good position because they beat New Zealand by 6 wickets at Edgbaston.

NZ are certainly looking like they'll be the weakest quarter finalists right now. Important for Oz and India to try and win their last match so they'll face NZ.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bad news is good news for Wall Street. Markets betting that the Fed will lower interest rates to mitigate slowdown that is already happening - everywhere.
    But the music will have to stop sooner or later. What then ?

FTSE 7.6K :)
    Been a good week so far , fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Missed the Heather Watson match earlier. Did she play badly or was her opponent in a different class?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Down the WC more likely
    And Scotland?
    you were humped get over it. The humour went right over your head as you were so intent on it being an insult. Just for thickies WC = toilet or World Cup, out of WC , down WC. Get a sense of humour and take that boulder off your shoulder.
    Irony alert!! Scots Nat accuses someone of have a "boulder on their shoulder", whilst also talking about other nations' sporting failures. Titters!
  • Options
    If I get one I will be putting in a Subject Access Request under GDPR.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Interesting figures, overall winner:

England 3.15 / 3.2
    Australia 3.3 / 3.35
    India 3.55 / 3.6
    New Zealand 10 / 10.5

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/cricket/market/1.117991336
  • Options

Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
    That's a little-known fact I must say, Prescott would have been a teenager when Eden was PM.
    Prescott, who had failed the 11+, went to sea as a steward soon after school, and worked on the liner which took a convalescent Eden to New Zealand. Apparently part of his duties included looking after the Edens, there was discussion and Prescott impressed Eden as a bright lad. Eden encouraged him to find a route to further study, effectively the Union, and the rest we know.
    At the time, being in the Merchant Navy exempted one from National Service.

Another example, of course, of the iniquity of the 11+; Prescott's brother passed and spent his life, IIRC, as railway manager.

Details could be wrong, but that's as I understand it.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    What's that you say, I have a green on Warren you say?
  • Options
    Can I please nominate my bet on NZ to win at 29 on bf as the worst bet of the year on PB?
  • Options

I wonder whether there are any other walks of life other than politics or religion where an arguably irrational belief means that everyone overlooks ineptitude. I mean, would one choose, or even reject, a doctor, accountant, or lawyer, irrespective of their competence and suitability, because they, say, "believed in God"?

Actually I think many people are quite capable of holding irrational beliefs and convincing themselves that certain courses of action are a good idea despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary. Just look at how many people are taken in by dodgy investment schemes, religious cults, unrealistic promises made by recruitment agencies, estate agents, sales people of all types etc etc. People desperately want to believe and so they allow their judgement to be clouded.

It is those who mislead that should be blamed here - in the past British politicians, mindful of the lessons of history, have eschewed populism and whipping up mob rule by fostering grievance and scapegoating institutions and social groups. Now the Tories have thrown all that out of the window and replaced it with nothing more than unprincipled personal opportunism. There is nothing to choose between Hunt and Johnson in this respect - both are vacuous chancers lacking any firm beliefs or principles.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Can I please nominate my bet on NZ to win at 29 on bf as the worst bet of the year on PB?

It's not over yet.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

It's not over yet.
    There speaks a hardened English sports fan.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

It's not over yet.
    These 3 Democrat bets want a word

Amy Klobuchar 26.00 £9.88 £247.00 (+ £40 at the bookies)
    Sherrod Brown 40.00 £4.00 £156.00
    Michael Avenatti 65.00 £4.00 £256.00
  • Options
    New Zealand received one point "playing" India due to rain. It may be crucial.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

It's not over yet.

You bet on Michael Avenatti?

Here's a link you will find useful.

https://about.gambleaware.org/
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Down the WC more likely
    And Scotland?
    Irony alert!! Scots Nat accuses someone of have a "boulder on their shoulder", whilst also talking about other nations' sporting failures. Titters!
    Jessie boy alert
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

It's not over yet.
    Ha, quite.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

England 3.15 / 3.2
    Australia 3.3 / 3.35
    India 3.55 / 3.6
    New Zealand 10 / 10.5

Hate to say it but the Aussies are serious value at 3.3.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936

Prescott, who had failed the 11+, went to sea as a steward soon after school, and worked on the liner which took a convalescent Eden to New Zealand. Apparently part of his duties included looking after the Edens, there was discussion and Prescott impressed Eden as a bright lad. Eden encouraged him to find a route to further study, effectively the Union, and the rest we know.

Another example, of course, of the iniquity of the 11+; Prescott's brother passed and spent his life, IIRC, as railway manager.

One might argue that given Prescott's subsequent career, the 11+ was remarkably accurate about his abilities and intelligence.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

AndyJS said:

England 3.15 / 3.2
    Australia 3.3 / 3.35
    India 3.55 / 3.6
    New Zealand 10 / 10.5

Hate to say it but the Aussies are serious value at 3.3.
    +1
  • Options
    "Apparently for Pakistan to get ahead of New Zealand on NRR if they bowl first against Bangladesh, New Zealand need to be bowled out for 142 here and Pakistan need to bowl Bangladesh out for 0 and win with five wides first ball."
    -Cricinfo
  • Options

One might argue that given Prescott's subsequent career, the 11+ was remarkably accurate about his abilities and intelligence.
    Diploma from Ruskin and BSc from Hull.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Result of first ballot for 14 Vice Presidents

331 required

Mairead McGUINNESS (Ireland, Fine Gael) 618 ELECTED
    Rainer WIELAND (Germany, CDU) 516 ELECTED
    Othmar KARAS (Austria, People's Party) 477 ELECTED
    Ewa Bożena KOPACZ (Poland, Civic Platform) 461 ELECTED
    Lívia JÁRÓKA (Hungary, Fidesz) 349 ELECTED

Pedro SILVA PEREIRA (Portugal, Socialists) 556 ELECTED
    Katarina BARLEY (Germany, SDP) 516 ELECTED
    Klara DOBREV (Hungary, Democratica Coalition) 402 ELECTED

Dita CHARANZOVÁ (Czech Republic, ANO) 395 ELECTED
    Nicola BEER (Germany, FDP) 363 ELECTED

Heidi HAUTALA (Finland, Greens) 336 ELECTED
    Marcel KOLAJA (Czech Rep, Pirates) 237

Laura HUHTASAARI (Finland, True Finns) 135
    Mara BIZZOTTO (Italy, Lega) 130

Zdzisław KRASNODĘBSKI (Poland, Civic Platform) 169

Dimitrios PAPADIMOULIS (Greece, Syrza) 303

Fabio Massimo CASTALDO (Italy, 5 Stars) 143

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Actually I think many people are quite capable of holding irrational beliefs and convincing themselves that certain courses of action are a good idea despite a wealth of evidence to the contrary. Just look at how many people are taken in by dodgy investment schemes, religious cults, unrealistic promises made by recruitment agencies, estate agents, sales people of all types etc etc. People desperately want to believe and so they allow their judgement to be clouded.

It is those who mislead that should be blamed here - in the past British politicians, mindful of the lessons of history, have eschewed populism and whipping up mob rule by fostering grievance and scapegoating institutions and social groups. Now the Tories have thrown all that out of the window and replaced it with nothing more than unprincipled personal opportunism. There is nothing to choose between Hunt and Johnson in this respect - both are vacuous chancers lacking any firm beliefs or principles.
    Hunt is a more diplomatic chancer. Presumably that helps when you're F.Sec. You have to speak politely to people you dislike, or else an innocent Brit. may spend 2-3 years extra in a foreign jail.

Johnson seems to have no such abilities.
  • Options

Fascinating, thanks.

Whatever your opinion of Prescott, I think it's unarguable that politics has lost something now that it is dominated by people who have little experience of "real" jobs outside the Westminster bubble. How many ex-cabin boys (or ex-manual job of any description) are there in the Commons today?

• Options
    edited July 2019

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

AndyJS said:

TOPPING said:

It's not over yet.

You bet on Michael Avenatti?

Here's a link you will find useful.

https://about.gambleaware.org/
    Backing Avenatti is a great way to bring your PC payment (Currently £1544) down
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Completely unfair. All those who went to fee paying schools will know several household names who didn't have a brain cell between them. Prescott got where he got through native wit alone. Not easy to do in a country like this one.
This discussion has been closed.