Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A taste of PMQs with PM Johnson? How he handled City Hall ques

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    The Chinese government must be getting a bit rattled if they're blaming the UK for the protests in Hong Kong.

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kong-uk-is-interfering-in-chinas-affairs-ambassador-warns-11756065
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

"Apparently for Pakistan to get ahead of New Zealand on NRR if they bowl first against Bangladesh, New Zealand need to be bowled out for 142 here and Pakistan need to bowl Bangladesh out for 0 and win with five wides first ball."
    -Cricinfo

I assume it is somewhat more possible to do if they win the toss and bat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Roger, have you seen Corbyn? The idea being a damned fool prevents one leading a political party has been proved false. [Not to mention Boris being favourite for the premiership].
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!
    Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
    That's a little-known fact I must say, Prescott would have been a teenager when Eden was PM.
    Prescott, who had failed the 11+, went to sea as a steward soon after school, and worked on the liner which took a convalescent Eden to New Zealand. Apparently part of his duties included looking after the Edens, there was discussion and Prescott impressed Eden as a bright lad. Eden encouraged him to find a route to further study, effectively the Union, and the rest we know.
    At the time, being in the Merchant Navy exempted one from National Service.

Another example, of course, of the iniquity of the 11+; Prescott's brother passed and spent his life, IIRC, as railway manager.

Details could be wrong, but that's as I understand it.
    Fascinating, thanks.

Whatever your opinion of Prescott, I think it's unarguable that politics has lost something now that it is dominated by people who have little experience of "real" jobs outside the Westminster bubble. How many ex-cabin boys (or ex-manual job of any description) are there in the Commons today?

Skinner? Ex-miner. No more that I can think of.

The late Paul Flynn (aka the thinking man's Dennis Skinner) had not dissimilar views (except for being pro-EU membership) but was from a middle-class background.

There used to be lots of Labour MPs from ordinary backgrounds. It's a great loss.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Whatever your opinion of Prescott, I think it's unarguable that politics has lost something now that it is dominated by people who have little experience of "real" jobs outside the Westminster bubble. How many ex-cabin boys (or ex-manual job of any description) are there in the Commons today?

Totally agree.

In retirement I'm a member of the U3a (University of the Third Age). No exams, no degrees, just an interest in the world around. A few months ago several of us were chatting and it turned out that at one time or another we'd all worked, or had to do with, the same firm, in a variety of positions, from research chemist to director to office worker to shop floor labourer. As someone pointed out we none of us could have done our jobs without the others.
  • Options

Brexit is the "gift" that just keeps taking . As a result of it we are now going to end up with the most unsuitable person ever to hold that office in my lifetime. His apologists hold up his time as Mayor as the only scrap of evidence that he has any leadership capability. There are probably hundreds of thousands of people in this country more suited and we have to end up with this cretin

I would suspect you could have lived a very, very long time and still that second sentence would be true!
    Indeed. The bar was held fairly low by Gordon Brown and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!
    Well, I remember Eden as PM and I think he was better than Boris will (may?????) be, although or course in the matter of Middle Eastern wars he was down there with Tony Blair.
    He also encouraged John Prescott to go into politics which may or may not have been a good thing.
    That's a little-known fact I must say, Prescott would have been a teenager when Eden was PM.
    Prescott, who had failed the 11+, went to sea as a steward soon after school, and worked on the liner which took a convalescent Eden to New Zealand. Apparently part of his duties included looking after the Edens, there was discussion and Prescott impressed Eden as a bright lad. Eden encouraged him to find a route to further study, effectively the Union, and the rest we know.

Another example, of course, of the iniquity of the 11+; Prescott's brother passed and spent his life, IIRC, as railway manager.

Fascinating, thanks.

The late Paul Flynn (aka the thinking man's Dennis Skinner) had not dissimilar views (except for being pro-EU membership) but was from a middle-class background.

There used to be lots of Labour MPs from ordinary backgrounds. It's a great loss.
    Skinner passed the 11+, but at 16 decided to go down the pit.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Roger said:

One might argue that given Prescott's subsequent career, the 11+ was remarkably accurate about his abilities and intelligence.
    Completely unfair. All those who went to fee paying schools will know several household names who didn't have a brain cell between them. Prescott got where he got through native wit alone. Not easy to do in a country like this one.
    No. Prescott certainly had a more positive influence on the UK than Johnson has had or will have, PM or not.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Fascinating, thanks.

There are several doctors. Is that not a real job? same for ex-military. Jess Phillips ran womens refuges, does that not count?
  • Options

Fascinating, thanks.

Ian Lavery and Patrick McLoughlin were also both miners.
  • Options
    GazGaz Posts: 45
    tlg86 said:
    Anti chlorination of chicken is and always was a cover for producer interests.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    AndyJS said:

The Chinese government must be getting a bit rattled if they're blaming the UK for the protests in Hong Kong.

https://news.sky.com/story/hong-kong-uk-is-interfering-in-chinas-affairs-ambassador-warns-11756065

Maybe, or just going for the easy stock response.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Gaz said:

tlg86 said:
    No, it is a legitimate concern. Slaughter standards and faecal contamination is rife in the US chicken industry. Think of it not so much as chlorine chicken so much as faecal chicken.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Afternoon all :)

We've also gone through the phases of believing ex-businessmen and ex-military types are or should be the new political elite.

The problem with both business people and ex-military officers is they are used to giving orders and getting them carried out. Command and control is easy but in politics that's not what's needed - you have to argue and persuade.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

I wonder whether there are any other walks of life other than politics or religion where an arguably irrational belief means that everyone overlooks ineptitude. I mean, would one choose, or even reject, a doctor, accountant, or lawyer, irrespective of their competence and suitability, because they, say, "believed in God"?

Many people find that doors are closed because of "which type of God" they believe in. Thankfully in the UK and much of Northern Europe this problem is not as bad as in previous centuries and other parts of the world, but the problem is still there.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Foxy said:

Gaz said:

tlg86 said:
    No, it is a legitimate concern. Slaughter standards and faecal contamination is rife in the US chicken industry. Think of it not so much as chlorine chicken so much as faecal chicken.
    E.coli related meat recalls are pretty routine here,
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

I guess you are claiming that a Solicitor/Barrister or Journalist doesn't count as a real job, as there are plenty of those in Westminster. I do think that is a tad unfair. What I do agree on is that MPs should come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and that this variety has greatly diminished over the last 40 years.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    NZ need less than three a ball.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    kinabalu said:

two whole wickets in hand
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Gaz said:

tlg86 said:
    Food poisoning is reported to be ten times as common in the US as in the UK.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

[deleted]

Fascinating, thanks.

Ian Lavery and Patrick McLoughlin were also both miners.
    That's three, then. It's better than one but that's not saying a huge amount. We might be better off with MPs from a wider range of previous occupations, not just the law or straight from PPE to the HoC.

By 'ordinary backgrounds' I was rather thinking of occupations such as plumbers, electricians or carpenters.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

two whole wickets in hand
    Too many people with little faith on here! Win for Essex, win for England, and the sun is shining. What’s not to be happy about!

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Gaz said:

tlg86 said:
    There are 95,000 salmonella cases in the EU every year, against 1.2 million in the US - a 12x difference.

(Sources: https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/documents/AER_for_2015-salmonellosis.pdf, https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/index.html)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    stodge said:

We've also gone through the phases of believing ex-businessmen and ex-military types are or should be the new political elite.

The problem with both business people and ex-military officers is they are used to giving orders and getting them carried out. Command and control is easy but in politics that's not what's needed - you have to argue and persuade.

And lead. Political leaders should be able to take people with them through the power of their argument, founded on a solid core of personal belief and indivisible principle. All standout leaders challenge their parties and take them out of their comfort zone - Blair, Thatcher, MacMillan, Churchill all did that. Cameron tried to at the start but gave up on the most crucial battle over Europe. May, Johnson and Hunt have never tried and never will because they lack both the core principles and the courage required to be true leaders.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited July 2019
    It's coming home, it's coming, IT'S BLOODY WELL COMING HOME.
  • Options
    England win.

• Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    rcs1000 said:

Gaz said:

tlg86 said:
    There are 95,000 salmonella cases in the EU every year, against 1.2 million in the US - a 12x difference.

(Sources: https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/documents/AER_for_2015-salmonellosis.pdf, https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/index.html)
    Let's also not forget that the EU has 510 million people vs 325 million people for the U.S, so the difference per capita is even better.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    By which time, 90% of votes will have been cast....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

England win.

Has something happened? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    In order to qualify and knock out New Zealand, Pakistan need to win the toss and bat, score 480, and bowl out Bangladesh for 160, or by about 320 runs, according to the Test Match Special scorer.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

London has form re interfering though
  • Options

England win.

Just prolongs the torture
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Does that mean Bangladesh will automatically bowl first if they win the toss?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631
    Oh God. This is another sport I have to ignore, isn't it? Ok, I need some kind of stock phrase. Thinks for a minute. Ah-hah! "It's different from Curtley Ambrose's day, I think", should get me through. :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Oh God. This is another sport I have to ignore, isn't it? Ok, I need some kind of stock phrase. Thinks for a minute. Ah-hah! "It's different from Curtley Ambrose's day, I think", should get me through. :)

It's only about 5 minutes since Curtly Ambrose was playing. I think you mean people like Victor Trumper or Fred Spofforth.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    malcolmg said:

England win.

Just prolongs the torture
    No England average 300/ game as do India we can do it
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"I don't mind the white ball game but there's no substitute for hard test match cricket."

That will keep you at the table.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Dow Jones has closed at record high - 26,966.

Closed early as July 4th tomorrow.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

It has a treaty obligation to interfere. :p
  • Options

Frightening. Although TBF one should take into account that the average American does eat multiple times the quantities of anybody else. Especially Trump supporters.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Presumably this is what's annoying China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFt7vbdNZKY
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    AndyJS said:

He sounds vaguely sensible and statesman like there.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.

I don't think that fits his masterplan.

He only supported Brexit because he thought it would make him PM.

Crashing out and ending his career is probably not what he wants the history books to show...
    Agreed, but when he realises it is actually hard work...?
    Could he re-rat on his abandonment of American citizenship and go back there? Try for President or something.
    A Trump vs Boris election would be undeniably fascinating.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Must be edited

• Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

They will get sent home to think again, the Chinese will tweak their snouts and dismiss them like the pygmies they are.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Because taking us out without a deal, then buggering off leaving someone else to deal with the consequences would be the height of irresponsibility.

Crashing out and ending his career is probably not what he wants the history books to show...
    Could he re-rat on his abandonment of American citizenship and go back there? Try for President or something.
    As I mentioned earlier, if Boris did un-renounce (which I believe is possible), he'd have to move to the US and reside there for fourteen years before he would qualify for election as POTUS.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    b

AndyJS said:

Are you surprised?
  • Options

I wonder whether there are any other walks of life other than politics or religion where an arguably irrational belief means that everyone overlooks ineptitude. I mean, would one choose, or even reject, a doctor, accountant, or lawyer, irrespective of their competence and suitability, because they, say, "believed in God"?

I always liked the Archbishop of Canterbury, musing on a rash of declarations by politicians about hoiw religious they were: "When I fly to America, I will be pleased to learn that the pilot is a believer. I am however even more concerned with whether he can fly the plane."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157

Roger said:

One might argue that given Prescott's subsequent career, the 11+ was remarkably accurate about his abilities and intelligence.
    Completely unfair. All those who went to fee paying schools will know several household names who didn't have a brain cell between them. Prescott got where he got through native wit alone. Not easy to do in a country like this one.
    No. Prescott certainly had a more positive influence on the UK than Johnson has had or will have, PM or not.
    It also speaks well of Eden that he encouraged Prescott.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt on Hong Kong,Libya and refugees in the states on CH4, wont condemn USA but tells China there will be dire consequences. Very poor.
  • Options

That's three, then. It's better than one but that's not saying a huge amount. We might be better off with MPs from a wider range of previous occupations, not just the law or straight from PPE to the HoC.

By 'ordinary backgrounds' I was rather thinking of occupations such as plumbers, electricians or carpenters.

There are more than you think (7% of Labour MPs, i.e. about 15), and having a previous job in politics is much more unusual than most people think - curiously, the SNP have most, with 35% in that category.

https://smithinstitutethinktank.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/who-governs-britain.pdf
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

It also speaks well of Eden that he encouraged Prescott.
    Indeed. Encouraging young people who are keen to ‘make a difference’, whether or not one agrees with their views, is something one ought to do.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited July 2019

There are more than you think (7% of Labour MPs, i.e. about 15), and having a previous job in politics is much more unusual than most people think - curiously, the SNP have most, with 35% in that category.

https://smithinstitutethinktank.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/who-governs-britain.pdf
    What does 'occupational background in politics' mean? We were drowning in ex-spads for awhile, disproportionately, after all. What level of bag carrier applies? And it is still the highest category, even if it is lower than some might think.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

what I like most is that this "MPs should have had proper jobs line" is often used in reference to the government/cons

But there - in your data - is what we all kinda knew. They're the lowest on prior jobs in politics.

OK, so what about real jobs, manual jobs? between manual, armed forces and health, they're basically level with Labour.

As ever,

brilliant.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Trump would demolish him in the USA
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Trump would demolish him in the USA
    I suspect Trump would destroy Boris over the abortion(s) he made Petsy have.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    stodge said:

No you don't.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

I hope this doesn't come over passive aggressive, but I'm curious why you'd think it was curious that the SNP would have most?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

"Apparently for Pakistan to get ahead of New Zealand on NRR if they bowl first against Bangladesh, New Zealand need to be bowled out for 142 here and Pakistan need to bowl Bangladesh out for 0 and win with five wides first ball."
    -Cricinfo

Watch out for unusual betting patterns
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714

Result of first ballot for 14 Vice Presidents

331 required

Mairead McGUINNESS (Ireland, Fine Gael) 618 ELECTED
    Rainer WIELAND (Germany, CDU) 516 ELECTED
    Othmar KARAS (Austria, People's Party) 477 ELECTED
    Ewa Bożena KOPACZ (Poland, Civic Platform) 461 ELECTED
    Lívia JÁRÓKA (Hungary, Fidesz) 349 ELECTED

Pedro SILVA PEREIRA (Portugal, Socialists) 556 ELECTED
    Katarina BARLEY (Germany, SDP) 516 ELECTED
    Klara DOBREV (Hungary, Democratica Coalition) 402 ELECTED

Dita CHARANZOVÁ (Czech Republic, ANO) 395 ELECTED
    Nicola BEER (Germany, FDP) 363 ELECTED

Heidi HAUTALA (Finland, Greens) 336 ELECTED
    Marcel KOLAJA (Czech Rep, Pirates) 237

Laura HUHTASAARI (Finland, True Finns) 135
    Mara BIZZOTTO (Italy, Lega) 130

Zdzisław KRASNODĘBSKI (Poland, Civic Platform) 169

Dimitrios PAPADIMOULIS (Greece, Syrza) 303

Fabio Massimo CASTALDO (Italy, 5 Stars) 143

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Marcel KOLAJA (Czech Rep, Pirates) 426 ELECTED

Laura HUHTASAARI (Finland, True Finns) WITHDRAWN
    Mara BIZZOTTO (Italy, Lega) 142

Zdzisław KRASNODĘBSKI (Poland, Civic Platform) 261

Dimitrios PAPADIMOULIS (Greece, Syrza) 401 ELECTED

Fabio Massimo CASTALDO (Italy, 5 Stars) 284

Still one to be elected

Sassoli proposes an electronic vote. I&D group disagrees. Somebody else is in favour. They vote on how to vote. Electronic vote wins.

One MEP asks for a technical break of 10 minutes. Sassoli gives a 5 minutes break
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nigelb said:

Not even to get 300 after that start is criminal.

Yorkshire to the rescue, again.
    We're the backbone of England, Britain, and the UK.
    If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.
    The wash
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited July 2019

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Sassoli proposes an electronic vote. I&D group disagrees. Somebody else is in favour. They vote on how to vote. Electronic vote wins.

One MEP asks for a technical break of 10 minutes. Sassoli gives a 5 minutes break
    Could I ask, what does a VP do? Because in most of the rest of the world, VP now means junior, barely qualified, neophyte and glorified bag carrier.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

They will get sent home to think again, the Chinese will tweak their snouts and dismiss them like the pygmies they are.
    Okay. So we are all 100% agreed that we are diminishing in this world? Diminishing from our days of economic and military powerhouse and Empire? Diminishing for the last half century, through all the thatcher and Blair years.

Anyone actually believe brexit or no brexit, ten years of Johnson or any politician you can name, we can actually stop diminishing in this world? That we can turn it around?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Not even to get 300 after that start is criminal.

Yorkshire to the rescue, again.
    We're the backbone of England, Britain, and the UK.
    If you look at Britain as roughly a human figure, I'd say more the large intestine. In that scenario I'm unsure what the rectum would be.
    The wash
    London.
  • Options
    Ok, MEPs are now testing the electronic system using 5 singers.....

• Options
    There’s no shame in having little individual power as a nation. The key is having a collection of nations pooling influence, like say, the European Union.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

Squeaky bum time now in the cricket...

If you think so, NZ are more than 6/1
    It's coming home, it's coming home, cricket's coming home I won't be confident until Williamson is out.
    How about now?
    Having been an England cricket fan in the 90s I'm never confident.
    Could be worse.

I was an England cricket fan ex-pat going to high school in Australia in the 90s.
    Immigrant, I think, is probably more accurate.
    No, the correct term is ex-pat.

I was there temporarily, we were always going to return home to England (and we did). An immigrant is someone who intends to settle permanently in their new country and we didn't.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Zephyr said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Okay. So we are all 100% agreed that we are diminishing in this world? Diminishing from our days of economic and military powerhouse and Empire? Diminishing for the last half century, through all the thatcher and Blair years.

Anyone actually believe brexit or no brexit, ten years of Johnson or any politician you can name, we can actually stop diminishing in this world? That we can turn it around?
    Join the Euro. Redefine our definition of ‘we’.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

I love Hong Kong but it’s clear that the PRC (and PLA) influence has grown massively over the last 20 years. The bridge (sit on the right of the aircraft and you can see it) means more and more tourist buses from the Pearl River Delta , irrevocably changing the character- Cantonese is slowly becoming marginalised. HK (or Jiulong, as we’d better get used to) is outside our material influence now. It doesn’t matter whether we are part of the EU or not.

Taiwan will be next, whether by force or otherwise. What should we do?
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

No that’s why we, as part of the EU can continue to have influence in the world.
  • Options

There’s no shame in having little individual power as a nation. The key is having a collection of nations pooling influence, like say, the European Union.

When the PRC (as it will do) “reunifies” Taiwan, what do you think the EU will do?
  • Options

Who won and who lost from the 11+ then?
  • Options
    matt said:

When the PRC (as it will do) “reunifies” Taiwan, what do you think the EU will do?
    I don't know what the EU would do in this hypothetical scenario.
  • Options
    matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Could I ask, what does a VP do? Because in most of the rest of the world, VP now means junior, barely qualified, neophyte and glorified bag carrier.
    One of the problems the British have is with the term ‘president’ in Spain there are tens of thousands of presidents, from president of the social club to president of the government. We would use the term chairman. Now what they do with those vice chairmen I don’t know but I assume they acts as presidents of various committees.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Re EU Parliament

Adele has won...beating Bono and Madonna

Castaldo (Italy's 5 Stars Movement) wins the final Parliament Vice President slot.

Vice Presidents are
    5 EPP
    3 S&D
    2 Renew
    2 Greens
    1 GUE
    1 Not attached

No VP for ECR and ID
    matt said:

Like the Deputy Speakers in the Commons, they chair the plenary when President is not there.
    They are all part of the Bureau along President and Quaestors (5 to be elected tomorrow). Bureau does some administrative and management tasks about EU Parliament workings.

The 3 Senior VPs are part of the Conciliation Committee that must find agreement when Psrliament and Council don't agree on a legislative text.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Depends whether you're talking about banking or tech...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

One of the problems the British have is with the term ‘president’ in Spain there are tens of thousands of presidents, from president of the social club to president of the government. We would use the term chairman. Now what they do with those vice chairmen I don’t know but I assume they acts as presidents of various committees.
    Shouldn't our government have insisted on the English language version of these titles to be known as 'Chairperson' then rather than 'President'?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gaz said:

tlg86 said:

A lot of that is because a European company developed the first live attenuated salmonella vaccine and after the Currie affair it became mandatory in most countries

In the US it is still only rarely used because of the cost.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    In Diplospeak, I think there's a difference between being concerned and promoting the benefits of restraint, as Johnson does, and threatening a country that is much more powerfu than ourselvesl with serious consequences, as Hunt does.
  • Options

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Shouldn't our government have insisted on the English language version of these titles to be known as 'Chairperson' then rather than 'President'?
    Well that’s being a bit silly. In the EU referendum vote leave peddled the lie about how the EU had seven presidents. It really is quite simple once you get past the concept of US Presidents
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The Committees have chairperson also on EU Parliament

President and Vice-Presidents of the Parliament are basically Speaker and Deputy Speakers in your case.

Examples of extra duties as part of the bureau (they are from 2014-19 term) are here:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/headlines/eu-affairs/20170608STO76914/how-parliament-is-run-president-vice-presidents-and-quaestors-infographic

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

• Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Well that’s being a bit silly. In the EU referendum vote leave peddled the lie about how the EU had seven presidents. It really is quite simple once you get past the concept of US Presidents
    Yes, although 14 VPs seems like, on described job spec, little more than jobs for the boys and girls.
  • Options
    matt said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Yes, although 14 VPs seems like, on described job spec, little more than jobs for the boys and girls.
    Can’t disagree but how many select committee presidents do we have in parliament?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Charles said:

Like the question. Acute. One could argue that John P, because he ‘failed’ had a need to prove himself whereas the brother, because he ‘passed’ had done what he needed to prove himself to family and friends. Could go on and on.
    On the other hand, the fact that JP, once encouraged, blossomed suggests that had he been at a comprehensive and encouraged..........

Have to say, from my own experience and observation that the 11+ is a crude, and cruel, measure.
  • Options
    matt said:

Not a lot
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

By which time, 90% of votes will have been cast....
    Yep. Interesting for the rest of us who do not have a ballot paper. Utterly irrelevant to the actual result.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Allocation of MEPs to the 20 committees and 2 subcommittees here:

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/sed/doc/news/flash/22641/List of committees_for CoP_rev2_en.pdf

Foreign Affairs
    Agriculture and Rural Development
    Budgets
    Culture and Education
    Development
    Economic and Monetary Affairs
    Employment and Social Affairs
    Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
    Internal Market and Consumer Protection
    International Trade
    Industry, Research and Energy
    Legal Affairs
    Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs
    Regional Development
    Transport and Tourism
    Constitutional Affairs
    Fisheries
    Petitions
    Women’s Rights and Gender Equality
    Budgetary Control
    Human Rights (Subcommittee)
    Security and Defence (Subcommittee)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Blimey. This sounds like a ticking bomb for someone in civil service:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1146477729325506560
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Charles said:

Like the question. Acute. One could argue that John P, because he ‘failed’ had a need to prove himself whereas the brother, because he ‘passed’ had done what he needed to prove himself to family and friends. Could go on and on.
    On the other hand, the fact that JP, once encouraged, blossomed suggests that had he been at a comprehensive and encouraged..........

Have to say, from my own experience and observation that the 11+ is a crude, and cruel, measure.
    It is appalling. I believe I gave my personal experiences of it here before on the damage it can cause to those that fail who later (could have ) blossomed and those that succeeded and later flounder.
  • Options

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/sed/doc/news/flash/22641/List of committees_for CoP_rev2_en.pdf

Foreign Affairs
    Budgets
    Culture and Education
    Development
    International Trade
    Legal Affairs
    Regional Development
    Transport and Tourism
    Constitutional Affairs
    Fisheries
    Petitions
    Budgetary Control

And which ones will TBP Ltd sign up for and then not attend, yet again letting U.K. citizens down?
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    nichomar said:

Zephyr said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

No that’s why we, as part of the EU can continue to have influence in the world.
    There is a nation of people out there, all fearing their children and grandchildren will live in over crowded jobless squalor unless some control can be taken over this diminishment. You sure you got a simple proposition you can sell?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    matt said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

Do they have a separate word for "chairman"? I suspect not.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

matt said:

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

matt said:

331 required

3 still to be elected...

New ballot at 6.30 PM

Second ballot results

Still one to be elected

You’re wrong, it appears.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Charles said:

Indeed. The bar was held and Theresa May, but Boris will still be able to limbo underneath it!

It is appalling. I believe I gave my personal experiences of it here before on the damage it can cause to those that fail who later (could have ) blossomed and those that succeeded and later flounder.
    Given the circumstances and the state of public knowledge when it was introduced one can, perhaps, understand why, but, Mr kjh, I agree.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    edited July 2019
    PClipp said:

matt said:

nichomar said:

'Global'...

As far as I can tell it means you've met with other Presidents or VPs on more than one continent for lunch.

It's probably important too to have no concept of where most of the countries in the world are.

It's mainly about lunch.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    nichomar said:

Foreign Affairs
    Budgets
    Culture and Education
    Development
    International Trade
    Legal Affairs
    Regional Development
    Transport and Tourism
    Constitutional Affairs
    Fisheries
    Petitions
    Budgetary Control

And which ones will TBP Ltd sign up for and then not attend, yet again letting U.K. citizens down?
    I remember some time ago when the Fisheries minister came from Austria. That pretty much says it all.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

nichomar said:

Foreign Affairs
    Budgets
    Culture and Education
    Development
    International Trade
    Legal Affairs
    Regional Development
    Transport and Tourism
    Constitutional Affairs
    Fisheries
    Petitions
    Budgetary Control

I remember some time ago when the Fisheries minister came from Austria. That pretty much says it all.
    So had no axe to grind?

I'm sure there's a better metaphor, but ATM one escapes me.
This discussion has been closed.