Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The harsh facts that the leadership contenders need to face

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The Independent story linked to is six months old. Have there been no developments since?
    I suspect she just leapt on any story that was vaguely anti-EU without bothering to check the date. A bit of panic setting in amongst the Leavers?
    It's almost as if the Commission are pausing until we have left before they screw over the Irish on corporation tax.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I am right in thinking No Deal absolutely screws (Leave supporting) farmers?

No. Some of them. Some sectors would disappear overnight. But many are phlegmatic and have seen much change in their farming lifetimes but yes, it is a can of whoop-ass opened that most would prefer to have stayed shut.
    The EU Ref hustings I went to, which featured Douglas Carswell, also featured a farmer passionately in favour of leaving. His reason? Getting the EU subsidies involved a 30 page form!

Wonder what that idiot thinks now.
    Didn't Phil Hammond promise to replicate the subsidies in full from his war chest? Of course, he'll soon be out on his ear, but presumably Boris also has that expenditure inked in.
    Brexiters: A No Deal Brexit will let us reclaim £39bn we would have paid to the EU.
    Also Brexiters: We will spend significantly more than £26bn from our war chest if we no deal Brexit.
    Sounds like a good deal to me. Leaves £13 bn left.in war chest.
    Minus the £90 billion hit to the Exchequer...

https://www.channel4.com/news/hammond-warns-disorderly-no-deal-brexit-will-cost-uk-90bn
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

You voted REMAIN. That makes you a Remainer!
    No, it makes me someone who respects democracy and the Leave vote.

Not a diehard Remainer who refuses to respect democracy and is determined to Stop Brexit
    Vote Leave, Boris Johnson included, said No Deal wouldn’t happen, a No Deal Brexit doesn’t respect democracy.
    The ballot paper just said leave or remain , it didnt say how, you can blame your chum Cameron for that
    No. Cameron wasn't arguing for leave; he was arguing for remain. He did the legwork, got an agreement with the EU, and that was remain's position. There was no way he could have set out leave's position as well.

Leave, on the other hand, lied. They made contradictory promises that have proved impossible to reconcile, and hence we've ended up in the current position.

Hardcore leavers - and especially the Brexiteers - need to start taking some responsibility for this mess.
    Cameron could have mandated a commission to specify what (realistic) model would be meant by "Leave". Just as John Howard did in 1997-1999.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    nichomar said:

geoffw said:

Don't you all love the democratic elections of the EU's multiple presidencies?

First off all substitute the word chairman for president as that is all it means.
    Secondly every single appointment requires either U.K. PM or elected MEPs involvement by peddling these lies you continue to try and perpetuate the myth of the ‘undemocratic’ EU. You’d be better challenging Farage to get off his arse and do some work to earn his salary.
    Jeez icbbtr.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

Not a diehard Remainer who refuses to respect democracy and is determined to Stop Brexit
    Vote Leave, Boris Johnson included, said No Deal wouldn’t happen, a No Deal Brexit doesn’t respect democracy.
    The ballot paper just said leave or remain , it didnt say how, you can blame your chum Cameron for that
    No. Cameron wasn't arguing for leave; he was arguing for remain. He did the legwork, got an agreement with the EU, and that was remain's position. There was no way he could have set out leave's position as well.

Leave, on the other hand, lied. They made contradictory promises that have proved impossible to reconcile, and hence we've ended up in the current position.

Hardcore leavers - and especially the Brexiteers - need to start taking some responsibility for this mess.
    Cameron set up the choice. In 1999 in Australia the monarchist John Howard presided over a referendum on whether Australia should be a republic. Before the referendum he had republicans take part in a commission that determined what form of a republic Australia would take if it was voted through.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No. Some of them. Some sectors would disappear overnight. But many are phlegmatic and have seen much change in their farming lifetimes but yes, it is a can of whoop-ass opened that most would prefer to have stayed shut.
    The EU Ref hustings I went to, which featured Douglas Carswell, also featured a farmer passionately in favour of leaving. His reason? Getting the EU subsidies involved a 30 page form!

Didn't Phil Hammond promise to replicate the subsidies in full from his war chest? Of course, he'll soon be out on his ear, but presumably Boris also has that expenditure inked in.
    Brexiters: A No Deal Brexit will let us reclaim £39bn we would have paid to the EU.
    Also Brexiters: We will spend significantly more than £26bn from our war chest if we no deal Brexit.

https://www.channel4.com/news/hammond-warns-disorderly-no-deal-brexit-will-cost-uk-90bn
    Project Fear.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

kinabalu said:

What a very good header.

Impossible to read this and not conclude (as I have long concluded) that we will (eventually) do one of two things -

Either ratify the Withdrawal Agreement or cancel Brexit.

Right now, I have it as a 75/25 chance respectively.

I'd say it was the other way round.

We will only ratify the WA if the ERG and DUP accept it. And the ERG will have to eat a veritable banquet of their own words to do that. The DUP will never accept the backstop. And the BXP will continue to cry betrayal if anything short of no deal is pushed through. And will Labour MPs back a Boris deal when they did not back the same deal under May? Hard to see that happening - Labour's contempt for Boris is more visceral than their dislike of May. I just do not see how a HoC majority can be built for a deal.

It is probably in Labour's best interest as well as the Tories' to let the WA pass. Once Brexit is done it's salience as an issue will gradually decline, and with it the ratings of both the Brexit Party and the LibDems. It is these two insurgents which arecurrently crippling the main parties, both of which urgently need a return to two party politics. I expect a sufficient number of Labour 'rebels' will be given the quiet nod to vote with the government.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

How much will an asteroid strike cost Phil ? What about a plague of locusts ?

Sooner this RSole is gone from no 11 the better.
  • Options
    hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 642
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The reality is that powerful sectors will get looked after because the government has no option. Think of Korea and the Chaebol. Farmers and manufacturers will get the deals they need as without them the country will just fail. The losers will be the pensioners who voted Brexit as in the end they have no bargaining power.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The reality is that powerful sectors will get looked after because the government has no option. Think of Korea and the Chaebol. Farmers and manufacturers will get the deals they need as without the country will just fail. The losers will be the pensioners who voted Brexit as in the end they have no bargaining power.
    They vote. That is all the bargaining power they need in a democracy.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The reality is that powerful sectors will get looked after because the government has no option. Think of Korea and the Chaebol. Farmers and manufacturers will get the deals they need as without the country will just fail. The losers will be the pensioners who voted Brexit as in the end they have no bargaining power.
    I suspect with No Deal they are going to be in for a surprise like the 70's where inflation destroys their purchasing power....
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I suspect with No Deal they are going to be in for a surprise like the 70's where inflation destroys their purchasing power....
    So do all your fellow fearmongers. Doesn't mean much to those of us who aren't afraid.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So do all your fellow fearmongers. Doesn't mean much to those of us who aren't afraid.
    I'm not afraid - in fact I'm fully invested in what is likely to occur as, (like Rees Mogg) I expect to make a fortune from No Deal.
  • Options
    b
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Many current pensioners are sitting on sizeable capital gains from the housing inflation of those days. True enough that many who were pensioners in the 1970s did suffer as you describe.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

Why is he an idiot? Do you enjoy filling in forms?
    Idiot because he will lose all his subsidies and be job hunting soon. See if he can make a living on his own the cretin.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not afraid - in fact I'm fully invested in what is likely to occur as, (like Rees Mogg) I expect to make a fortune from No Deal.
    Bring it on then.

The Chicken Licken Remain doommongers have been wrong every stage so far.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149

Interesting reasoning about tax havens - I wonder why they are so keen to be taxed in the UK/Netherlands rather than Japan.

UK rates are way lower than Japanese rates.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Many current pensioners are sitting on sizeable capital gains from the housing inflation of those days. True enough that many who were pensioners in the 1970s did suffer as you describe.
    Who is going to pay the inflated prices for these houses if we f... business, jobs and the economy?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you think house prices will remain high for ever more I think you are in for a surprise.

At some point house prices will have to return to levels that local wages can afford - granted a market can stay irrational for longer than someone to bet against it but that day will come.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Well I saw friends ruined in the 70's by inflation. Don't want to see that happen again.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You do mean our debt chest I imagine, or are you that stupid
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

If you think house prices will remain high for ever more I think you are in for a surprise.

At some point house prices will have to return to levels that local wages can afford - granted a market can stay irrational for longer than someone to bet against it but that day will come.
    So long as there's a shortage of housing all is well.
  • Options

Interesting reasoning about tax havens - I wonder why they are so keen to be taxed in the UK/Netherlands rather than Japan.

And it's the European HQ. Not the HO of HO's.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

Idiot because he will lose all his subsidies and be job hunting soon. See if he can make a living on his own the cretin.
    Where did the subsidies come from o wiseacre? And where will they have gone when we've left?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    edited July 2019

Winners and losers. Pig farmers win because they compete against less imported Danish bacon so prices go up. Beef, and especially sheep, farmers lose their only significant export market. Perceptions will be that Brexit screws farmers because pig farmers will earn more while hill farmers will see their livelihoods destroyed. Also applies to fish farmers

BTW deal means replication of CAP and CFP.

Addendum. Large scale farmers have a vested interest in depressed land values as it allows them to buy up smallholdings in the cheap.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

The only way to significantly reduce the cost of housing would be for a huge tax on owning homes to rent out as a landlord and ban non Uk citizens from buying Uk property.

Neither are happening anytime ever.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

2008 was the real term peak.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

They said the effect of the UK cutting rates would be an increase in their Japanese tax bill. Unless the Japanese rules are punitive, that is surely just a transfer of tax. At least, that's how most tax floors work.

• Options
    geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

Where did the subsidies come from o wiseacre? And where will they have gone when we've left?
    they will be needed to mop up the sh**fest, farmers will be shafted and have 60 pages of crap to fill in to get a fraction of previous benefits handouts and well deserved it will be. Their cosy featherbedded existence will soon be gone and they may have to fend for themselves.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He isn't that stupid, he is even more stupid than that
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Winners and losers. Pig farmers win because they compete against less imported Danish bacon so prices go up. Beef, and especially sheep, farmers lose their only significant export market. Perceptions will be that Brexit screws farmers because pig farmers will earn more while hill farmers will see their livelihoods destroyed. Also applies to fish farmers

BTW deal means replication of CAP and CFP.

Addendum. Large scale farmers have a vested interest in depressed land values as it allows them to buy up smallholdings in the cheap.
    LOL, for about 10 mins, they will pass it to the BBC equivalent like TV licences and poof it will be gone
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The only way to significantly reduce the cost of housing would be for a huge tax on owning homes to rent out as a landlord and ban non Uk citizens from buying Uk property.

No the way to significantly reduce the cost of housing would be wholesale liberation of our planning laws and abolition of the green belt.
  • Options
    Good header. In my opinion No Deal and Comprehensive FTA are exercises in denial. The UK is heading to be a subordinate satellite of the EU. We won't enjoy that status much.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    TGOHF said:

eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

See what happens when Corbyn comes in and starts giving private tenants the right to buy at a discount and possibly a land value tax. Or whenever inflation rises again. Or when unemployment soars. Etc.
  • Options

geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He isn't that stupid, he is even more stupid than that
    cockroach out and about again, keep pulling bellend
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781

eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Bring it on then.

The Chicken Licken Remain doommongers have been wrong every stage so far.
    Nope. You are being so dumb again. No time to explain tho, have some work to do. I guess you work in some nicely insulated business or public sector job that will be unaffected. What a bunch of selfish wankers you leavers are.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Posted my vote for Hunt this AM. Futile, I know, but still have to try and avoid Boris.

Well done - but as you say, futile.

I hope SI put a spread market up on BoJo vote share. I would buy it anywhere in the 60s.

My prediction - 72/28.
    Hunt has fallen more in my estimation than Boris has during the last two weeks albeit not to the level Boris is at.
    Agree with that. Still voted for him, that said.
    In which case he's calculated his pitch to Johnson's supporters pretty well: gave himself a chance of picking some up without jeapordising his natural appeal to anti-Johnson members.
  • Options
    The Northern Echo is reporting this mornings Hustings from Darlington

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17751268.boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-host-darlington-hustings/

It seems Boris is treating it as a Panto - I suspect he wants to be the dame not the villain..
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

If, and its a big if, the kinds of subsidies are replicated by UK government, there will be a form to fill, just as before. In fact it will probably be even more onerous and shambolic. Rural Payments system anyone?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,298
    malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

malcolmg said:

geoffw said:

TOPPING said:

they will be needed to mop up the sh**fest, farmers will be shafted and have 60 pages of crap to fill in to get a fraction of previous benefits handouts and well deserved it will be. Their cosy featherbedded existence will soon be gone and they may have to fend for themselves.
    Quite right. Farming only represents about 0.5% of GDP, so the politicians will have no compunction about letting it go to the wall. I suspects that's what Hunt's fox-hunting thing was all about: give the yokels that one sweetener then sit back and watch them plummet to their doom.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    OT John McCririck has died, aged 79.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190
    Thanks for the comments.

Congratulations to OGH and his lady wife for their Golden Anniversary!

And to any other PB’ers celebrating anniversaries.

It is also 31 years to the day since I got together with my other half. In Gorbachev’s Russia of all places. And my youngest (only just 21) has got a II(I) in his Politics / Economics degree. I could not be more proud of him. He wrote his dissertation on the rise of populism in Italy so if anyone is interested in how Matteo Salvini uses Facebook to spread his creed, Cyclefree Junior is your man.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    Endillion said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Posted my vote for Hunt this AM. Futile, I know, but still have to try and avoid Boris.

Well done - but as you say, futile.

I hope SI put a spread market up on BoJo vote share. I would buy it anywhere in the 60s.

My prediction - 72/28.
    Hunt has fallen more in my estimation than Boris has during the last two weeks albeit not to the level Boris is at.
    Agree with that. Still voted for him, that said.
    In which case he's calculated his pitch to Johnson's supporters pretty well: gave himself a chance of picking some up without jeapordising his natural appeal to anti-Johnson members.
    Yes true. There was nothing that was going to make me vote Johnson so why not try to out-bonkers him (I am talking here mainly about his comments on no deal).
  • Options
    eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Didn't Phil Hammond promise to ... the subsidies in full from his war chest? Of course, he'll soon be out on his ear, but presumably Boris also has that expenditure inked in.

The market is neither rational nor irrational. That is pure anthropomorphism. Current monetary policy with ludicrously low interest rates and quantitative easing supports the high housing prices. UK interest rates will remain low for policy purposes after we leave, so I do not foresee a house price collapse.
    Only a fool would "think house prices will remain high for ever more".

• Options
    eek said:

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17751268.boris-johnson-jeremy-hunt-host-darlington-hustings/

It seems Boris is treating it as a Panto - I suspect he wants to be the dame not the villain..

No, he wants the Dame. Or perhaps the Principal Boy, when she's out of costume!
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    FF43 said:

Good header. In my opinion No Deal and Comprehensive FTA are exercises in denial. The UK is heading to be a subordinate satellite of the EU. We won't enjoy that status much.

The UK:EU relationship will be rather more equal than the Taiwan:China one but probably rather less equal than Canada:USA.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192
    "Were a General Election to be held between now and 31st October it is ridiculously complicated to know what would happen. Every outcome between a No Deal Brexit and a Remain electoral pact that could put the UK on the track towards a Second Referendum are possible outcomes.

After 23rd July, when the outcome of the Tory Leadership election is known, UK politics is going to get very interesting indeed, were it not already interesting enough!"

https://jonworth.eu/a-pro-brexit-pact-or-a-remain-alliance-what-might-happen-in-a-general-election/
  • Options
    Totally O/T, but BBC are reporting that
    'An uninsured Lamborghini has been seized by police after the owner used it to pick up his other car - also confiscated for not being insured.'

Manchester area.
  • Options

FF43 said:

The UK:EU relationship will be rather more equal than the Taiwan:China one but probably rather less equal than Canada:USA.
    The EU is the only show in town in Europe, so the UK is dealing with a consortium of European states from the outside. Never easy. The EU increasingly owns the international trading system. The UK won't really have any choice but to go along with it on a rule taking basis. The EU is the gatekeeper to the system, however, which gives it and its members a lot of leverage. Expect that leverage to be used. The UK does however get some influence thanks to its size and money (hint: Brexit will be very expensive in actual money costs, not just revenue foregone)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    edited July 2019
    Cyclefree said:

What are the consequences of these choices? Low or no tariffs will severely harm a number of sectors, make imports cheap for consumers but provide little incentive for countries to enter into FTAs. What could Britain offer if access to its markets was already open?

Speaking as a neoliberal without much skin in this game, plus a lot of the people who get screwed will deserve it for voting to screw over foreigners without realizing they were screwing themselves, I like the idea of doing three years with no import tariffs, regardless of who reciprocates. Say you'll reimpose normal tariffs at the end of the three years.

During that time businesses in other countries will get used to selling stuff in Britain and lobby their governments to preserve their access at the end of the three years. So that potentially gives you more openness to trade deals for the long term than you'd have got if you'd tried to negotiate with your markets closed, and you can also offer more generous terms once the tariff jubilee has ended as an enticement to encourage people to open up their markets before the three years are up.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Nice article @Cyclefree but I'm afraid the call to be reasonable comes far too late; decades too late.

It's rather like an interaction frequently seen between a man and a woman. The woman states her case quietly and reasonably; the man takes no notice. The woman tries again, quietly & reasonably; the man takes no notice. This goes on until the woman reaches screaming point. Then the man is terribly wounded and asks her: "Why can't you just say what you want, quietly and reasonably?"

The politicians have been ignoring the concerns about the EU held by a lot of people for too long. Sorry about that; genuinely sorry about that. I've been genuinely sorry about it for decades. It's not good for any of us.

Good morning, everyone.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    AnneJGP said:

Nice article @Cyclefree but I'm afraid the call to be reasonable comes far too late; decades too late.

It's rather like an interaction frequently seen between a man and a woman. The woman states her case quietly and reasonably; the man takes no notice. The woman tries again, quietly & reasonably; the man takes no notice. This goes on until the woman reaches screaming point. Then the man is terribly wounded and asks her: "Why can't you just say what you want, quietly and reasonably?"

The politicians have been ignoring the concerns about the EU held by a lot of people for too long. Sorry about that; genuinely sorry about that. I've been genuinely sorry about it for decades. It's not good for any of us.

Good morning, everyone.

Some politicians, including our soon to be Prime Minister, have been stoking the anti-EU sentiment for decade with lies and half truths about the EU. Thye're still doing it.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709

"Were a General Election to be held between now and 31st October it is ridiculously complicated to know what would happen. Every outcome between a No Deal Brexit and a Remain electoral pact that could put the UK on the track towards a Second Referendum are possible outcomes.

After 23rd July, when the outcome of the Tory Leadership election is known, UK politics is going to get very interesting indeed, were it not already interesting enough!"

https://jonworth.eu/a-pro-brexit-pact-or-a-remain-alliance-what-might-happen-in-a-general-election/

They'd have to move fast to prevent the B&R By-election.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

AnneJGP said:

Good morning, everyone.

Some politicians, including our soon to be Prime Minister, have been stoking the anti-EU sentiment for decade with lies and half truths about the EU. Thye're still doing it.
    All politicians lie and misrepresent. They’re rarely so obviously caught. All of them.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,709
    eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Could you please tell us how, so we may do likewise?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    TGOHF said:

eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So the UK economy is screwed, permanently? I'm not convinced that there won't be restrictions on foreign buyers brought in too.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    AnneJGP said:

Exactly.

Politicians have been dismissing concerns about Globalization, immigration, automation and technology as "the fault of the EU"

They are about to reap what was sown.

A bitter harvest.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    I think it’s wishful thinking that if the WA is passed and we leave the EU then Remainers will flock back to Labour and focus on domestic issues. The culture war has only just begun.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

eek said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Could you please tell us how, so we may do likewise?
    Buy long-dated sterling puts.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    geoffw said:

eek said:

geoffw said:

b

eek said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

mut.
    The EU Refs now.
    Didn't Phil Hammond promise to ... the subsidies in full from his war chest? Of course, he'll soon be out on his ear, but presumably Boris also has that expenditure inked in.

The market is neither rational nor irrational. That is pure anthropomorphism. Current monetary policy with ludicrously low interest rates and quantitative easing supports the high housing prices. UK interest rates will remain low for policy purposes after we leave, so I do not foresee a house price collapse.
    Only a fool would "think house prices will remain high for ever more".

And so many of the boomer generation, inexorably moving into retirement, are intending to spend down their property equity to fund their retirement. These properties (whether larger main homes or second or let properties) will pass into the hands of people who have to borrow to afford them, hence we are moving into a period of long term downward drag on prices
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    eristdoof said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

Cameron could have mandated a commission to specify what (realistic) model would be meant by "Leave". Just as John Howard did in 1997-1999.
    You need to think that through, and what it would have meant. for instance, consider how Farage and the hardcore leavers would have reacted: they would have said it was a stitch-up, and used it as a weapon in their war.

It seems a sensible thing on the surface, but like many things, it was unworkable in practice.

The job was one for Brexiteers to do before the referendum. And they failed to do so, because they wanted to win.

It's time they grew up and accepted some responsibility.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

My view is that whenever an election comes the Tories will be hammered.

So, if there is an election to come, it will be forced on Boris.

I can't argue with that Casino, but who do you see winning?
    Labour, with a Confidence and Supply arrangement with the SNP and LibDems. I don't see the latter going anywhere near a 'proper' coalition for a while.
    At least two major assumptions there - firstly that Labour wins more seats than the LibDems and secondly that The LibDems would be prepared to give their suppost to a Marxist Labour-led Government.
    Lib Dems are going nowhere, small bunch of useless duffers. Anyone who thinks they are the answer needs locking up and the key thrown away.
    Once upon a time, the SNP were a small group of bitter turnip throwers....

Times change. malcolm.
    Now they are a large group of bitter turnip throwers. The SNP is just the EDL in tartan.
    I've faced the EDL on the streets in an attempt to stop them intimidating people who look different to them. My local MP is now from the SNP (I moved). The idea of any equivalence between the two is more risible than even the most risible madness to emerge from Brexit.

Edit: Unless, of course, you were referring to the English Disco Lovers, in which case I withdraw my comment.
    Thank you.

Last week a couple of PBers (who really should have known better) scoffed that the SNP were blood and soil nationalists and that we had a burning hatred for our nearest neighbours and friends. I put it down to ignorance rather than deliberate disinformation.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

Cameron set up the choice. In 1999 in Australia the monarchist John Howard presided over a referendum on whether Australia should be a republic. Before the referendum he had republicans take part in a commission that determined what form of a republic Australia would take if it was voted through.
    I refer you to my answer to eristdoof.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    PeterC said:

kinabalu said:

What a very good header.

Impossible to read this and not conclude (as I have long concluded) that we will (eventually) do one of two things -

We will only ratify the WA if the ERG and DUP accept it. And the ERG will have to eat a veritable banquet of their own words to do that. The DUP will never accept the backstop. And the BXP will continue to cry betrayal if anything short of no deal is pushed through. And will Labour MPs back a Boris deal when they did not back the same deal under May? Hard to see that happening - Labour's contempt for Boris is more visceral than their dislike of May. I just do not see how a HoC majority can be built for a deal.

It is probably in Labour's best interest as well as the Tories' to let the WA pass. Once Brexit is done it's salience as an issue will gradually decline, and with it the ratings of both the Brexit Party and the LibDems. It is these two insurgents which arecurrently crippling the main parties, both of which urgently need a return to two party politics. I expect a sufficient number of Labour 'rebels' will be given the quiet nod to vote with the government.
    I think that is true today.

It may not be true in a couple of month's time though. Both the extreme ends of the debate are digging in, and the longer it drags on the harder it will be to dig them out of their trenches.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    He is unrecognisable in that photo from a few months ago. I presume he must have been suffering from some terrible illness.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    General housing as an asset class doesn't look particularly bubbly to me over say the last decade :

June 09 House price £156442 ; June 19 £216515 = 3.3% annual growth (Nationwide figures)

FTSE 100 05-07-09 4438.60, today 7589 = 5.5% annual growth
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182

Snap.

Hunt's shallow opportunism has shone like a beacon in the night.
  • Options

PeterC said:

kinabalu said:

What a very good header.

I think that is true today.

It may not be true in a couple of month's time though. Both the extreme ends of the debate are digging in, and the longer it drags on the harder it will be to dig them out of their trenches.
    But the government collapsing remains Labour's best hope

And letting Brexit through, even by rebellion, risks a significant backlash for Labour in the south
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kinabalu said:

Snap.

Hunt has probably closed the gap to sub 60-40 if we go by the reasonably accurate yardstick of below the line sentiment being utterly wrong on this race thus far then.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Snap.

Make sure you spoil your ballot paper.

Actually yesterday a friend and I were discussing the option of writing "Boris Johnson is a twat" on the ballot paper or, a la @TSE, drawing a cock and balls against his name but were mindful of the fact that that might be interpreted as a sign for him. So, Aesop like, my friend said to write "Boris Johnson is a twat" beside Jeremy Hunt's name.

Genius!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Pulpstar said:

General housing as an asset class doesn't look particularly bubbly to me over say the last decade :

June 09 House price £156442 ; June 19 £216515 = 3.3% annual growth (Nationwide figures)

And if you take the last 12 years, FTSE growth rate magically declines to just over 1% (although presumably the house price growth rate is mostly unaffected).

I am slightly surprised that the house price growth rate isn't higher, that said.
  • Options

He is unrecognisable in that photo from a few months ago. I presume he must have been suffering from some terrible illness.
    Big Mac denied he was ill and said he'd just lost weight to live longer, so his skin hung loose. The obituaries might clear things up. He'd also had a noticeable tremor for some time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    TOPPING said:

ratify/referendum

I don't think we can cancel.

Yes that's what I meant - a 25% chance of Brexit being cancelled via another referendum.

Which as I read things requires the election of a Labour government. Can't see a realistic route to Ref2 which does not include that.
  • Options

I can’t see how a general election can work well for the Conservatives at present, being torn apart by the wild horses of the Brexit party and the Lib Dems. But since every decision they’ve made recently has been the worst one possible for themselves, perhaps they will go for it anyway.

Define “recently”. When was the last time the Tories made a significant run of great decisions which were of clear benefit to both their own party and to the country?

If you define “country” as England I’d say the 1980s.

If you define “country” as the United Kingdom” I’d say the 1800s.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Snap.

Hunt has always been a lightweight, first coming to attention by getting the BBC to postpone The Apprentice in case Lord Sugar subliminally made viewers vote Labour. That said, the only choice left is Hunt or Boris.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

And if you take the last 12 years, FTSE growth rate magically declines to just over 1% (although presumably the house price growth rate is mostly unaffected).

I am slightly surprised that the house price growth rate isn't higher, that said.
    I wasn't looking to cherry pick anything, just taking the numbers from a decade ago. If you want to supress house price growth, 07/08 change of year was the last local real term peak I think.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

And average wages - have they gone up 5.5%? Productivity as shown earlier today definitely hasn't...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    After yesterday's update,I wonder where seanT next countryside walk with the wifey will be...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7214339/Genteel-Worcester-village-arms-700-swingers-flock-field-sex-festival.html
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Snap.

Actually yesterday a friend and I were discussing the option of writing "Boris Johnson is a twat" on the ballot paper or, a la @TSE, drawing a cock and balls against his name but were mindful of the fact that that might be interpreted as a sign for him. So, Aesop like, my friend said to write "Boris Johnson is a twat" beside Jeremy Hunt's name.

Genius!
    If you draw the balls nice and large it will be difficult for anyone to think that is a vote for Johnson...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Snap.

Genius!
    The words of an unnamed Cabinet Minister, as reported by Nick Watt on Newsnight, will be my choice - if nothing changes - for my ballot paper come the next election - “Fuck knows. I’m past caring. It’s like the living dead in here.”
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

Snap.

Genius!
    If you draw the balls nice and large it will be difficult for anyone to think that is a vote for Johnson...
    Hunt the ... vs Boris the Johnson. Hat-tip whoever said it first.
  • Options
    eek said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

And average wages - have they gone up 5.5%? Productivity as shown earlier today definitely hasn't...
    Sterling has gone down relative to other major currencies. Given plenty of the FTSE big boys earnings are in $ and €, that's the main booster for the stock market maybe.
  • Options

Members’ ballot - Boris Johnson vote share (Shadsy)

60-70% 11/8
    50-60% 11/4
    70-80% 3/1
    40-50% 8/1
    over 80% 20/1
    Under 40% 33/1

Maybe a tad of value in over 80%.

Otherwise, Shadsy knows what he’s doing. As usual.
    He’s an annoying bugger isn’t he? I agree, none of those prices are remotely tempting. Perhaps 50-60% at 11/4, but not tempting enough.
  • Options

eek said:

No, he wants the Dame. Or perhaps the Principal Boy, when she's out of costume!
    Boris in a dress. Wearing lipstick. Leering at the Principal Boy. What an image! Still he’s fat enough for it.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

And so many of the boomer generation, inexorably moving into retirement, are intending to spend down their property equity to fund their retirement. These properties (whether larger main homes or second or let properties) will pass into the hands of people who have to borrow to afford them, hence we are moving into a period of long term downward drag on prices

And if we ever get a government able to govern again more obstacles will be placed in the way of landlords (rent control, more security for tenants etc) and we might even start building more houses and both these factors would tend to push prices down.
  • Options

After yesterday's update,I wonder where seanT next countryside walk with the wifey will be...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7214339/Genteel-Worcester-village-arms-700-swingers-flock-field-sex-festival.html

'Bulls' are well-endowed men – married or single - looking for sex, while 'unicorns' are so-called because they are single women and so rare in the swinging scene that few people have ever seen one.

'It's not quite Upper Welland, is it?' said Marjorie Stapleton, 87, who lives less than a mile from the festival site.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Though the raw FTSE doesn't include dividends, so need to look at total return, particularly over such a long period.

My equities are well distributed to insure against No Deal, and with a secure job and pension, I am very well secured. I suspect that the markets will oversell as usual in No Deal panic, so some value buys afterwards.
  • Options

Members’ ballot - Boris Johnson vote share (Shadsy)

60-70% 11/8
    50-60% 11/4
    70-80% 3/1
    40-50% 8/1
    over 80% 20/1
    Under 40% 33/1

Maybe a tad of value in over 80%.

Otherwise, Shadsy knows what he’s doing. As usual.
    He’s an annoying bugger isn’t he? I agree, none of those prices are remotely tempting. Perhaps 50-60% at 11/4, but not tempting enough.
    Price of a pint on the 80+ % band for me.

• Options
    Not been focusing much on politics recently, so just catching up a bit.

I wonder if Jeremy Hunt has blown his chance of being PM with his idiotic, unthinking position on hunting in England. He clearly lacks the *instinct* a successful leader needs for steering clear of toxic, infected topics. Boris lacks this instinct too, but for Hunt his USP was that he was not a buffoon. Bye bye USP.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Sterling has gone down relative to other major currencies. Given plenty of the FTSE big boys earnings are in $ and €, that's the main booster for the stock market maybe.
    Certainly for FTSE, which otherwise has been relatively depressed. The US is driven by Trumpian expansionism that will likely end in tears.

In the medium term one wonders how much lower sterling can go, although no deal would push it down in the short term
  • Options
    Having said all that on housing, "Help to buy" is going to be PPI the second.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

You need to think that through, and what it would have meant. for instance, consider how Farage and the hardcore leavers would have reacted: they would have said it was a stitch-up, and used it as a weapon in their war.

It seems a sensible thing on the surface, but like many things, it was unworkable in practice.

The job was one for Brexiteers to do before the referendum. And they failed to do so, because they wanted to win.

It's time they grew up and accepted some responsibility.
    Farage and the hardcore leavers could have been invited to contribute to the commission before the referendum like happened in Australia.

As for the Brexiteers they did do the job. They made compromises. They said they wanted a Brexit that took control of our laws and trade, one that took control of borders and left the jurisdiction of the ECJ. A Canada style Brexit in other words. They acknowledged officially that meant leaving both the Single Market and the Customs Union.

Yes some Brexiteers like our own Mr Tyndall wanted EEA style Brexit and they have every right to campaign for that but the Brexiteer campaigns did their homework and came up with a model.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ratify/referendum

I don't think we can cancel.

Yes that's what I meant - a 25% chance of Brexit being cancelled via another referendum.

Which as I read things requires the election of a Labour government. Can't see a realistic route to Ref2 which does not include that.
    At the moment a second referendum doesn't seem very likely, though that could change pretty quickly if the Gauke/Hammond tendency decide to back it when Boris becomes PM.

The most likely outcome is continual postponements and extensions of A50, which eventually will become de facto remain.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Scott_P said:
    Gotta hand it to him, that's a good one.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And if we ever get a government able to govern again more obstacles will be placed in the way of landlords (rent control, more security for tenants etc) and we might even start building more houses and both these factors would tend to push prices down.
    Not by much as housebuilding is a low percentage of housing stock. While low interest rates may keep demand up for a bit longer, I think that the current building boom may quickly turn into a glut in the next year or two. London prices are falling and the ripples spread outwards from there.

I suspect that retirement spots on the coast might do well as the Costas become less easy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Having said all that on housing, "Help to buy" is going to be PPI the second.

In the opinion of some I know who've looked at the subject, and know what they are talking about, the next PPI is Equity Release.
This discussion has been closed.