Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The harsh facts that the leadership contenders need to face

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Scott_P said:
    461 respondents....i presume that is probably entire young conservative membership.
    That's very unfair - assuming that "Young" Conservative means under-65 there are loads more than that.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Well I’ve finally decided who to vote for in the Tory leadership election.

https://twitter.com/tseofpb/status/1147151027411570688?s=21

Shocked and surprised you've gone for Hunt :o
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    Pulpstar said:

Had to think about my book.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,968
    tpfkar said:

Scott_P said:
    461 respondents....i presume that is probably entire young conservative membership.
    That's very unfair - assuming that "Young" Conservative means under-65 there are loads more than that.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Cricket World Cup final to be shown on free-to-air TV if England qualify

Might end up on More4.

Is an epic Sunday for sport.

Wimbledon Men’s Final, the British Grand Prix, The Open, and the cricket World Cup final.
    The Open is the following weekend.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL! Who would want the endorsment of that loser? :D
    If Brexit happens we will still have to endure 18 months of Remoaner moaning, that is what happens after major event, cf selling council houses, selling BT. After 18 months it becomes obvious that the change has not been bad and the figures start coming in to prove the moaners wrong.

Then, if it is a success we will see all the Remoaners denying they were ever against it and emphasising how thier strnger Brexit would have been better. Brass necks are nothing new.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019

Might end up on More4.

Wimbledon Men’s Final, the British Grand Prix, The Open, and the cricket World Cup final.
    They need to stick it on the youtube like bt sport have done with the footy.
    Wasn’t the BT sport thing on YouTube a fiasco?
    In what way? I watched it on there.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9200999/bt-sports-slammed-tv-viewers-champions-league-final-feed-youtube/
    I remember that a bit in the first half but it seemed to settle down. No idea if that was bt or youtube fault. It wasnt bad enough that i could be arsed to go and watch it on my main tv.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It's the number next to Boris that'll count, green good, red bad..
  • Options

I'm disappointed that you didn't vote using AV.
    This is the final stage of the Tory leadership contest, the first part is conducted under quasi-AV.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Andrew said:

Cyclefree said:

If Boris was not fit to receive intelligence, given what the FS is responsible for, he was not fit to be FS.

Well, clearly the last bit was true. That's the problem with inside-the-tent-pissing-out appointments, of course.
    He was inside still pissing in, and yet people think he is a suitable PM.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Diehard Remainers

You voted REMAIN. That makes you a Remainer!
    No, it makes me someone who respects democracy and the Leave vote.

Not a diehard Remainer who refuses to respect democracy and is determined to Stop Brexit
    Except you condemn politicians who voted remain even if they have tried their damndest to see us leave and voted for us to leave multiple times . You apply a different standard to them than yourself and fool no one.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Might end up on More4.

Oops. Still an epic Sporting Sunday on the 14th.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_P said:
    That appointment makes very good sense. Clearly in Corbyn's Labour Party the role of the Head of Membership is to ensure that no dissident refuseniks like Tom Watson remain as members of the party.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm buying a few pints for that Andrea Leadsom backer.
  • Options
    It's remarkable that just 5 weeks ago on 31 May, I was able to back the LibDems at 33/1 to win the most seats at the next GE. Their odds have since shortened dramatically with those nice folk at William Hill now offering only 9/1.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Good article spoiled by the horrifying use of two spaces after each full stop.

That’s what I was taught, years ago. When there were typewriters, not computers. Sorry!
    It is not a fault - text always lies better if you do that, even on computers. It's definitely easier to read when printed out.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Imagine the scenes if she got 35% of write in votes, ahead of Hunt and Boris.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

Might end up on More4.

It'll probably rain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Imagine the scenes if she got 35% of write in votes, ahead of Hunt and Boris.
    To be the honest the real factor was the potential bragging rights.

You know what I'm like when I've tipped a 1/500 winner, just imagine what I'm going to be like if my 100/1 tip becomes a winner.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Hell of a lot of wishful thinking. Might be right, we don't know. But, there will be great disappointment in the FT if it isn't.
  • Options

It's remarkable that just 5 weeks ago on 31 May, I was able to back the LibDems at 33/1 to win the most seats at the next GE. Their odds have since shortened dramatically with those nice folk at William Hill now offering only 9/1.

Tipped up at 250-1 by Tissue Price :o
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    If England knock out India at Edgbaston there could be a lot of tickets available for the final, provided the Indian fans who don't want to go return their tickets. A lot of Indian fans have bought tickets for both semi-finals to ensure they don't miss their team playing.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

That’s what I was taught, years ago. When there were typewriters, not computers. Sorry!
    It is not a fault - text always lies better if you do that, even on computers. It's definitely easier to read when printed out.
    Thank you. That’s partly why I do it. Plus force of habit.

Quite often I write my articles out by hand with a pen and ink, on paper. Imagine that!

I was taught italic handwriting and, to this day, still prefer ink to biros. And, as a result, my handwriting is gorgeous. When you're taught to write well it is easy to write both quickly and legibly.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,712

Scott_P said:
    Hell of a lot of wishful thinking. Might be right, we don't know. But, there will be great disappointment in the FT if it isn't.
    Maybe wishful thinking on your part that it will be alright on the night? The FT exists to give information on which people base important financial decisions. Why would it be in their interest to take a partisan line? I can see why it is in your interest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wow .... really? When was that?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Scott_P said:
    Maybe wishful thinking on your part that it will be alright on the night? The FT exists to give information on which people base important financial decisions. Why would it be in their interest to take a partisan line? I can see why it is in your interest.
    They don't have an editorial stance on Brexit?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Eagles, bragging rights are delightful.

Mr. Pulpstar, a remarkable tip. Never even saw it, alas.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Wow .... really? When was that?
    Paddy hasn't got a decent timestamp on the bet !

After I backed Khan for £11.75 @ 4-11 London mayor and before I backed Kasich £1.25 @ 45-1 for GOP nominee with them.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Still annoys me that two massive Force India long shots should've come in a few years ago in Azerbaijan and a needless collision meant neither did.

Humbug.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    Off topic: CLP AGM tonight. Your's truly is standing for an executive position...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Quite often I write my articles out by hand with a pen and ink, on paper. Imagine that!

I was taught italic handwriting and, to this day, still prefer ink to biros. And, as a result, my handwriting is gorgeous. When you're taught to write well it is easy to write both quickly and legibly.

If you are going to scribble, scribble big -- Harold Evans when editor of the Sunday Times, advising those of us with less neat handwriting.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If England knock out India at Edgbaston there could be a lot of tickets available for the final, provided the Indian fans who don't want to go return their tickets. A lot of Indian fans have bought tickets for both semi-finals to ensure they don't miss their team playing.

There's still a small chance we might be playing Oz.
  • Options

Off topic: CLP AGM tonight. Your's truly is standing for an executive position...

Now I’ve got visions of the Kama Sutra for Corbynites.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Cyclefree said:

A...pen. That's, kind of, like a quill, only no bird was harmed?

I persuaded my secondary school to let me type all my homework - they were resistant at first, but I pointed out that they wouldn't be able to read them if I didn't, and the Head said "Hmm, good point".
  • Options

Best of luck!
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    Today my wife and I made our decision on our votes and have returned them in the post this lunchtime.

Hunt's ill advised comments on hunting have had a big consquence in our family, all of whom are implacably opposed to overturning the fox hunting ban, but do endorse drag hunting. It also raised the question in our mind about his competence when he fell in the trap when asked and confirming he would vote to repeal the act. It was an entirely avoidable position in so far as he could have simply said there are far more important issues and he would not re-open the matter

We have not voted for him but had he not made those comments his 2 votes would be in the post now

Turning to Boris and the alternatives, neither my wife or I could vote for Boris as we believe he is unreliable and overrated, though we do agree police numbers need increasing and we approve of his more liberal attitude to immigration

We therefore marked our ballots 'Neither' and sent them in

It is hugely disappointing to us that we could not vote for either candidate but we had no choice in the end

Time will tell if Boris makes it but we did not want to have anything to do with voting him in.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

A...pen. That's, kind of, like a quill, only no bird was harmed?

I persuaded my secondary school to let me type all my homework - they were resistant at first, but I pointed out that they wouldn't be able to read them if I didn't, and the Head said "Hmm, good point".
    Dearie me.....

If computers get switched off in post-Brexit Britain, what with us having no electricity an’ all, you’ll all be flocking to me to write out your billets doux, wills etc. My rates will be reasonable. :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850

With the highlight the Grand Prix de Paris at Longchamp for the real sporting fans.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263

On a Friday?!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

I'm so jealous ... I would so love to have had a really good hand, but after a lifetime's endeavour it's only passable at best. Probably on account of the fact that I was handicapped from the outset as a result of being left-handed, therefore pushing the pen rather than pulling it. although most of us overcome this problem by writing at an approx 45 degree slant to the vertical.
    Still I'm reliably informed that we lefties have six times the aptitude of right-handed folk for reading upside down. Very handy when being interviewed for a job or similarly across the desk when attending one's annual employment review.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    AnneJGP said:

Nice article @Cyclefree but I'm afraid the call to be reasonable comes far too late; decades too late.

The politicians have been ignoring the concerns about the EU held by a lot of people for too long. Sorry about that; genuinely sorry about that. I've been genuinely sorry about it for decades. It's not good for any of us.

Good morning, everyone.

What concerns are they, exactly?

And no, I don't mean the Boris-in-Brussels lies peddled by the oligarchical press. I mean genuine issues.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Good luck.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Today my wife and I made our decision on our votes and have returned them in the post this lunchtime.

Hunt's ill advised comments on hunting have had a big consquence in our family, all of whom are implacably opposed to overturning the fox hunting ban, but do endorse drag hunting. It also raised the question in our mind about his competence when he fell in the trap when asked and confirming he would vote to repeal the act. It was an entirely avoidable position in so far as he could have simply said there are far more important issues and he would not re-open the matter

We have not voted for him but had he not made those comments his 2 votes would be in the post now

Turning to Boris and the alternatives, neither my wife or I could vote for Boris as we believe he is unreliable and overrated, though we do agree police numbers need increasing and we approve of his more liberal attitude to immigration

We therefore marked our ballots 'Neither' and sent them in

It is hugely disappointing to us that we could not vote for either candidate but we had no choice in the end

Time will tell if Boris makes it but we did not want to have anything to do with voting him in.

Good for you. I won't be voting Labour or Conservative at the next election because I don't want a Johnson or Corbyn government on my conscience. I will probably sit it out as I did in 2017 but could well vote LD if they are still looking quite strong.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    AndyJS said:

It's an inevitable result of the culture of "taking offence" that we're living through at the moment.

That might be relevant but I don't know about inevitable.

The reason I like David Lammy, for example, is not because he annoys Rod Liddle.

(Although I will admit this is not a negative.)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Mango said:

AnneJGP said:

Nice article @Cyclefree but I'm afraid the call to be reasonable comes far too late; decades too late.

The politicians have been ignoring the concerns about the EU held by a lot of people for too long. Sorry about that; genuinely sorry about that. I've been genuinely sorry about it for decades. It's not good for any of us.

Good morning, everyone.

What concerns are they, exactly?

And no, I don't mean the Boris-in-Brussels lies peddled by the oligarchical press. I mean genuine issues.
    The slow creep towards a United States of Europe?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    IanB2 said:

On a Friday?!
    Good luck! I became CLP Chair last month (such power, and one so young). Gradually PB is taking over the Labour Party - like Momentum, but more secretive. :)
This discussion has been closed.