Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survey of LD members has Swinson ahead of Davey by 54% to 46%

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,192
    Scott_P said:
    May continues her relentless campaign to make Brown look vaguely competent in hindsight.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Geoffrey Robinson (Coventry NW) retiring

Born in 1938. First elected in 1976
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    That's why Boris will get in first (if he's got any sense) and call an election in September on his own terms.
    Just one problem with that. He can't call an election on his own terms. He's going to need the cooperation of Labour to achieve that. They may have other ideas.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    edited July 2019

rcs1000 said:

Stephen Pound (Ealing North) to retire at next GE.
    Born in 1948, first elected in 1997

It is 5th Labour MP to confirm he won't undergo the reselection process. Deadline is this evening.

So far no surprise announcements.

Jim Fitzpatrick: born in 1952/first elected in 1997
    Ronnie Campbell: 1943/1987
    Kevin Barron: 1946/1983
    Kate Hoey: 1946/1989
    Stephen Pound: 1948/1997

Is Kate Hoey standing down so she can run as an MEP next Euro elections?
    More likely as a Brexit Party candidate if there’s a snap General Election. Her letter only says she won’t be a Labour candidate again.

"Lib Dem / Green alliance gain Vauxhall"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    edited July 2019
    CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Here is the BBC News on UC scam.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48887753

"This suggests that fraud rates on universal credit are about four times higher than on most other benefits.

Ironically, one of the original goals of universal credit was to save about a billion pounds in fraud and error."

Classic :lol:
    IDS competing with his mate Grayling to see who can piss away our taxes most effectively.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    The uplift is for the solicitor, not counsel. I am not at all surprised that solicitors dealing with such a high profile case received an uplift.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161

As it should be, though for politicians we are electing people based on their beliefs, so the candidates beliefs should weigh into it shouldn't they?

I am very happy to elect anyone secular, so long as the rest of their beliefs also go along with my political beliefs. If someone wants to start setting laws based on their religion, as many have made a point of emphasising, then it is surely reasonable for that to be viewed as a red flag?

I think so, yes.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,960
    CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

"This suggests that fraud rates on universal credit are about four times higher than on most other benefits.

Ironically, one of the original goals of universal credit was to save about a billion pounds in fraud and error."

And no doubt the Ministers in charge of the DHSS (or whatever it's called now) will make it their mission to chase after the claimants whose names have been used.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,161
    dixiedean said:

Or indeed already a Cardinal.

That's right. You can't fast track to Pope as some sort of precocious whiz kid. You must put the hard yards in.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    The uplift is for the solicitor, not counsel. I am not at all surprised that solicitors dealing with such a high profile case received an uplift.
    incomprehensible!
  • Options

Geoffrey Robinson (Coventry NW) retiring

Born in 1938. First elected in 1976

About time; he's only about three weeks younger than me!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

That's right. You can't fast track to Pope as some sort of precocious whiz kid. You must put the hard yards in.
    Hasn't always been the case, though, has it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    DavidL said:

Presumably he'll crowdfund it...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,698
    I'm off the clock and I have just under a hour before I catch a train. Such luxury of free time, i feel positively decadent. Upon what smidgen shall I bestow the benefits of my infinite wisdom? Hmm

[sees @Tissue_Price 's post]

Dude! Yellow boxes have returned! Excellent!

(what can i tell you, I'm shameless... :) )
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    He also said he was a Republican the other day, by far the worst First Minister Wales has had, at least Adam Price looks the part if Wales wants a First Minister who is a Nationalist.

Plus Wales voted Leave just like England
    “Wales voted Leave” isn’t an antidote to Welsh nationalism.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Chris said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:
    Pretty rampant Islamophobia in the detail.

Though only a minority oppose a Muslim PM
    A mere 43%
    What are the equivalent figures for Labour and the population at large?
    I have the sneaking suspicion that you're asking that not in good faith but because you know that polling question wasn't put to the Labour membership or the population at large.

Honestly I don't know all the polling that's been done on questions like this. But if you look at the tables for, say, https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/02/19/tracker-islam-and-british-values , you can see a very significant disparity between Conservative voters (not members) and Labour.

Do you know of any similar polling that gives an indication that Conservative voters or members hold attitudes towards Muslims/Islam which are broadly similar to Labour or the general population?
    My question is entirely in good faith. How on earth can anyone evaluate the significance of a figure if you don't know whether it's higher than, about the same as, or lower than the figures for other segments of the population? And even if there is a difference, it might be one simply of age.
    I suspect there is also a question of interpretation

When you prompt for “Muslim” at bet most people think of their local imam (and identify them strongly with a sub-group in the nation rather than all of them). Many will think of ISIS

In practice if you presented them with an agnostic Muslim like the Saj or a “good Muslim boy” like @thescreamingeagles I doubt their religion would have more than a marginal impact on voting intention
    A better comparison might be with a practising Muslim like Sadiq Khan, rather than someone like Sajid Javid or Boris Johnson who only has Muslim ancestry.
    Fair point. Obviously London is different but didn’t Zac find highlighting his religion had at best a minimal (and possibly a negative) impact?

I suspect this is a issue that features highly went prompted but has very low salience / real world impact
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

DavidL said:

Presumably he'll crowdfund it...
    I can't think of a better use for SNP supporters' funds than helping out the poor, impecunious legal profession.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Uplift is a great concept.

Can I bill an extra 50% when I feel my usual houly rate doesn't cover my magnificent results?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

And no doubt the Ministers in charge of the DHSS (or whatever it's called now) will make it their mission to chase after the claimants whose names have been used.
    Judging by “Jade’s” story on the link she is the victim of the fraud not the government
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,973
    Interesting union development.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Uplift is a great concept.

Can I bill an extra 50% when I feel my usual houly rate doesn't cover my magnificent results?
    Certainly not Foxy. Just think of the damage that would be wreaked on your finances by the additional pension contributions.

In reality the scales awarded by the Courts in Scotland normally allow the successful party to recover between 50% and 70% of the actual costs that they incur to their solicitors. In a case like this I would have expected the charge out rate to push the percentage towards the bottom end of that spread. A 50% uplift therefore doesn't necessarily result in more money for the lawyer (although it might) but less of a cost for the successful party.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,706
    Completely off topic - for those who have been renewing NI Index Linked savings certificates as they expire, is anyone moving away from them now they are linked to CPI rather than RPI? Looks like quite a big cut?
  • Options
    Charles said:

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Judging by “Jade’s” story on the link she is the victim of the fraud not the government
    To me it looks as though both are. Although you are right in that she seems in the greater jeopardy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,980

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    He also said he was a Republican the other day, by far the worst First Minister Wales has had, at least Adam Price looks the part if Wales wants a First Minister who is a Nationalist.

The Brexit Party got comfortably more votes than Plaid in the European Parliament elections in Wales
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Not true, any male Catholic is eligible.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

The problem is a lot of dishonest people, not the government.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

The Brexit Party got comfortably more votes than Plaid in the European Parliament elections in Wales
    So what? The Brexit Party appeals to people who place leaving the EU ahead of the union.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    I've always found it odd that the most prolific pro-Indy blogger bases himself hundreds of miles away from Scotland in Lib Dem Bath
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

The problem is a lot of dishonest people, not the government.
    I think that's a little generous. The problem is a benefit that is not payable for an absurd period of time (for those with little or nothing) whilst entitlement is being assessed resulting in irresistible pressure for a loan/advance scheme with minimal checks to cover the gap giving rise to an obvious opportunity for fraud and deception.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    Did Labour just shift which side of their bum is touching the fence?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    No % yet ..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/08/boris-johnson-would-deliver-40-seat-majority-tories-election/

The ComRes poll, commissioned by the Telegraph, puts the Tories at 345 MPs with Labour at 207 and the Brexit Party at none.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Well no not really "as you were", because they'd still be having a referendum.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/08/boris-johnson-would-deliver-40-seat-majority-tories-election/

The ComRes poll, commissioned by the Telegraph, puts the Tories at 345 MPs with Labour at 207 and the Brexit Party at none.

@HYUFD will be in his bunk.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    I've always found it odd that the most prolific pro-Indy blogger bases himself hundreds of miles away from Scotland in Lib Dem Bath
    We are blessed by his absence Mike. Commiserations on Bath.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Wings over Scotland appears to be in a right flap.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,359

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

IDS competing with his mate Grayling to see who can piss away our taxes most effectively.
    Since Universal Credit replaces multiple other benefits (more than 4?), then it seems understandable that fraud would be of greater magnitude. The story is very unclear as to whether, when measured fairly, UC is vulnerable to fraud to a greater or lesser degree than the benefits it has replaced.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    Roger Federer effortlessly winning games against someone 15 years his junior.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What about?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

What about?
  • Options

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Since Universal Credit replaces multiple other benefits (more than 4?), then it seems understandable that fraud would be of greater magnitude. The story is very unclear as to whether, when measured fairly, UC is vulnerable to fraud to a greater or lesser degree than the benefits it has replaced.
    You're ignoring the word "rate"
  • Options

ydoethur said:

What about?
    Having to cough up a bunch of his backer's cash.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    That's why Boris will get in first (if he's got any sense) and call an election in September on his own terms.
    Just one problem with that. He can't call an election on his own terms. He's going to need the cooperation of Labour to achieve that. They may have other ideas.
    Labour have been consistently calling for an election. They would happily oblige Boris surely.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

Isn't that down from a 140 seat majority just a couple of weeks ago?
    I think we've seen this episode before...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That's nothing. I could do that when I was 18
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    I am not clear what would be Labour's policy if there was no new deal.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

Somehow, it always seems to be a ComRes poll.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,359

AndyJS said:

:D
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Labour have been consistently calling for an election. They would happily oblige Boris surely.
    Of course, with caveats. "We agree to call a GE subject to a no No Deal act is passed first."
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Really? I think I managed it when I was 15, but not since.

In answer to your other question, the Bath based Nat is extremely displeased that he has had to cough up all costs for Kezia Dugdale just because he lost a libel action he brought.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Do you think you would be, whatever the scenario?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Ineed.

The idea Labour would vote against a general election, when offered, is fanciful. No Opposition could do that and remain credible which is why FTPA is basically a worthless piece of legislation.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Ineed.

The idea Labour would vote against a general election, when offered, is fanciful. No Opposition could do that and remain credible which is why FTPA is basically a worthless piece of legislation.
    Labour are a credible opposition?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Ineed.

Labour are a credible opposition?
    Well Jezza thinks he is... ;)
  • Options
    Mango said:

rcs1000 said:

It is 5th Labour MP to confirm he won't undergo the reselection process. Deadline is this evening.

More likely as a Brexit Party candidate if there’s a snap General Election. Her letter only says she won’t be a Labour candidate again.

Labour will win Vauxhall easily.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

In answer to your other question, the Bath based Nat is extremely displeased that he has had to cough up all costs for Kezia Dugdale just because he lost a libel action he brought.
    My heart bleeds
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    GIN1138 said:

rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Ineed.

People are forgetting the timing issues in this. any election called in October would have a polling day after B-Day and BJ has said he's leaving on 31 october no matter what. Given the law as it stands any election called after the first couple of weeks in September would be very tight to 31 October assuming a week to get the new parliament up and running (regardless of whether there were coalition negotiations)
  • Options

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

My heart bleeds
    The funny part is, he's really angry at being ordered to pay costs, because he still thinks he actually won. The judge ruled he wasn't a homophobic bigot, so therefore, in his mind, he was vindicated. And therefore, should not have to pay costs, just because he brought an action and the judge ruled that while wrong Dugdale's remarks were not unreasonable.
  • Options

Do you think you would be, whatever the scenario?
    Yes, otherwise Labour will support REMAIN.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

You haven’t read angels and demons then?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited July 2019

TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

Backward engineering that predicted result (345 Con, 207 Lab, zero BXP) implies Con 7% ahead of Labour having taken 10% points off BXP.

Something like Con 32%, Lab 25% LD 16% BXP 12%.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

Backward engineering that predicted result (345 Con, 207 Lab, zero BXP) implies Con 7% ahead of Labour having taken 10% points off BXP.

Very similar to 2015 except LD 10% higher. That coming from Con and lab - about 5% each.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,921
    Abject humiliation. There will be so much tactical voting at the next GE to prevent a Tory government that prostrates the UK at the feet of the Trumps that any seat forecasts at this stage are almost pointless.
    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1148167705935130624?s=21
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

My heart bleeds
    The funny part is, he's really angry at being ordered to pay costs, because he still thinks he actually won. The judge ruled he wasn't a homophobic bigot, so therefore, in his mind, he was vindicated. And therefore, should not have to pay costs, just because he brought an action and the judge ruled that while wrong Dugdale's remarks were not unreasonable.
    Reminds me of that Terry Pratchett bit: "I'm not mad. I even have a certificate to prove it."
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302

Abject humiliation. There will be so much tactical voting at the next GE to prevent a Tory government that prostrates the UK at the feet of the Trumps that any seat forecasts at this stage are almost pointless.

That and the length of the campaign means that it's really tough to keep the agenda on Brexit. The last election was a 'Brexit Election' but more time was spent on the tory social care policy
  • Options

Saying sorry is abject humiliation? And aren't they saying sorry it was leaked, not sorry for the contents? :p
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Solvency might be, though.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Lib Dems have taken a good look at the anointed Swinson and not liked what they saw. We did try to tell you.
  • Options
    matt said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yawn.

Braying is not a sustainable political strategy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Only the eagle eyed could catch that stool pigeon.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,596
    That suggests that Labour could campaign against their own deal.
  • Options

Taking after the Tories then? :p
  • Options
    Labour continue to go from ridiculous to absurd. Do they think they are being clever?
  • Options

Mango said:

rcs1000 said:

Labour will win Vauxhall easily.
    Perhaps not.

Current Baxter prediction, Vauxhall:

Liberal Democrats 39%
    Labour 32%
    Con 12%
    Grn 8%
    Bxp 7%
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Are Labour determined to donate another 5% of voters to the Lib Dems and the Greens?
  • Options

Labour continue to go from ridiculous to absurd. Do they think they are being clever?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1148292649641795585
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taking after the Tories then? :p
    Labour remain a brexit party no matter how you dress it up it will fool a few but not that many
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841

Lib Dems have taken a good look at the anointed Swinson and not liked what they saw. We did try to tell you.

The usual old nonsense I see, I'd argue Ed Davey has run a professional campaign and has said a lot of things on campaigning and environmental change LD members have wanted to hear.

Davey is a proven activist and street fighter and that carries a lot of weight. It's not that Swinson is poor, she is very good - it's just Davey is better.
  • Options
    Evening all :)

One way to get rid of Boris, Brexit, Corbyn and Farage at the same time is for the Lib Dems to get 45 % of the vote. Via Baxter I get a majority of 400 which should be enough.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,183
    Can I just say that I have done lots and lots of leak inquiries over the years. I would simply LOVE to do the FO / Darroch one.

I am afraid of no-one and not in the slightest bit interested in currying favour with politicians or FCO wallahs.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,706

If they want ambiguity and allow different MPs to be pro remain or pro leave, a better way would be to say all their MPs guaranteed free votes on any Brexit issue as the country is split down the middle. It would be clear and simple, probably less optimal than coming out for remain, but much easier to make your position clear and justify it than breaking it down into a series of hypothetical steps that may never happen.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    stodge said:

One way to get rid of Boris, Brexit, Corbyn and Farage at the same time is for the Lib Dems to get 45 % of the vote. Via Baxter I get a majority of 400 which should be enough.

That'll do.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

Yes. We shall see if the public reaction to their latest wheeze proves them right or not.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,599
    Barnesian said:

TGOHF said:

No % yet ..

The actual figures are on the website, summing to 70% with DK and DV at 30% for Johnson and 31% for Hunt.
    So multiply by 100/70 and 100/69 and you can derive the figures as normally presented.

Figures are, as published, and also excluding DK/DV in brackets:
    - with Johnson leader Con 22%(31.4%), Lab 17%(24.3%), Brexit 10%(14.3%), LD 12%(17.1%), SNP 2%(2.9%)
    - with Hunt leader Con 18%(26.1%), Lab 18%(26.1%), Brexit 12%(17.4%), LD 12%(17.4%), SNP 2%(2.9%)

(Figures shown to spurious accuracy of 0.1% in the interests of avoiding compounding the prior rounding error in the published figures.)
  • Options

matt said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Braying is not a sustainable political strategy.
    Well that's us screwed then.
  • Options

Was there any doubt? There's no way most of their MPs would agree to back a deal if they had negotiated one.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1148292649641795585
    There's an assumption in that post I don't recognise. Since when has Labour had a policy on Brexit?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Works for me B)
  • Options
    Tice is a complete and utter arse hole how the hell did the U.K. send twats like him and Widdecombe to represent us in Europe is beyond belief, they should wear America First hats an t shirts and be locked up for treason
  • Options
    stodge said:

The usual old nonsense I see, I'd argue Ed Davey has run a professional campaign and has said a lot of things on campaigning and environmental change LD members have wanted to hear.

Davey is a proven activist and street fighter and that carries a lot of weight. It's not that Swinson is poor, she is very good - it's just Davey is better.
    Don’t get me wrong. You’re making the best choice. And I wish you all the best in England, and perhaps Wales if you come to an amicable agreement with Plaid.

Swinson is a turnip. But I fully understand that you cannot publicly agree.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Works for me B)
    And me!
  • Options

stodge said:

Don’t get me wrong. You’re making the best choice. And I wish you all the best in England, and perhaps Wales if you come to an amicable agreement with Plaid.

I like Swinson.
  • Options

stodge said:

It's swede of you to be so understanding.
  • Options

stodge said:

As an aside, would you advocate SNP candidates standing down in LD seats? Would you advocate LD candidates standing aside in SNP seats?
This discussion has been closed.