Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Survey of LD members has Swinson ahead of Davey by 54% to 46%

13»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Lib Dems have taken a good look at the anointed Swinson and not liked what they saw. We did try to tell you.

The usual old nonsense I see, I'd argue Ed Davey has run a professional campaign and has said a lot of things on campaigning and environmental change LD members have wanted to hear.

Davey is a proven activist and street fighter and that carries a lot of weight. It's not that Swinson is poor, she is very good - it's just Davey is better.
    Don’t get me wrong. You’re making the best choice. And I wish you all the best in England, and perhaps Wales if you come to an amicable agreement with Plaid.

Swinson is a turnip. But I fully understand that you cannot publicly agree.
    It's swede of you to be so understanding.
    Always best to get to the root of the matter.

• Options
    nichomar said:

Tice is a complete and utter arse hole how the hell did the U.K. send twats like him and Widdecombe to represent us in Europe is beyond belief, they should wear America First hats an t shirts and be locked up for treason

I approve of this message, even if your fury has gotten the better of your grammar...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Lib Dems have taken a good look at the anointed Swinson and not liked what they saw. We did try to tell you.

The usual old nonsense I see, I'd argue Ed Davey has run a professional campaign and has said a lot of things on campaigning and environmental change LD members have wanted to hear.

Davey is a proven activist and street fighter and that carries a lot of weight. It's not that Swinson is poor, she is very good - it's just Davey is better.
    Don’t get me wrong. You’re making the best choice. And I wish you all the best in England, and perhaps Wales if you come to an amicable agreement with Plaid.

There's Norway I'd be so generous if my heroes were being mangold.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Labour continue to go from ridiculous to absurd. Do they think they are being clever?

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1148292649641795585
    My understanding is Labour will back a second referendum regardless.
    If it's a Tory deal, they'll back remain. If it's a Labour deal, there will be a second vote but it's not clear whether Labour would back remain (indeed perhaps Corbyn would stay neutral and let MPs campaign on either side).

So it seems the second referendumers have won.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    rkrkrk said:

Labour continue to go from ridiculous to absurd. Do they think they are being clever?

If it's a Tory deal, they'll back remain. If it's a Labour deal, there will be a second vote but it's not clear whether Labour would back remain (indeed perhaps Corbyn would stay neutral and let MPs campaign on either side).

The interesting scenario which could come out of a labour brexit is the tory party campaigning FOR it and the labour party campaigning against it...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

If you’re expecting to get a rhizome out of me....

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Tice is a complete and utter arse hole how the hell did the U.K. send twats like him and Widdecombe to represent us in Europe is beyond belief, they should wear America First hats an t shirts and be locked up for treason

I approve of this message, even if your fury has gotten the better of your grammar...
    My apologies I was carried away watching him on CH 4 news and couldn’t restrain myself. On a more serious point why do TBP Ltd MEPs get so much coverage on all channels? They won less than half of the seats but the others are ignored.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    stodge said:

stodge said:

As an aside, would you advocate SNP candidates standing down in LD seats? Would you advocate LD candidates standing aside in SNP seats?
    Nope.

What (might) work for Plaid won’t work for us. We are too close to the endgame.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Richard Tice being interviewed on Ch4 News about the US Ambassador's leaked email. What a spiv! Worth playing again because I fear he's the shape of things to come in Johnson's dystopian Britain.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Richard Tice. Just starting to give this chap some attention. Been rather ignoring him up to now.

Tentative initial conclusion -

Not the brightest. Also sense a certain brittle vanity. Low quality specimen.

Recommendation -

Do not deplatform entirely but limit appearances to an absolute minimum.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

stodge said:

I like Swinson.
    I like Swinson too. The same way I like Richard Leonard, Ruth Davidson, Jim Murphy and countless other dunderheids.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    rkrkrk said:

I don't think anyone has won.

It is still a terribly confused fudge. It is not based on any principle or coherent thought. It offers no real clue as to what a 'Labour' deal might actually look like.

It is still trying to be Remain-y and Leave-y at the same time.

And they still need to be in power for force a referendum. I can't see this making that task any easier
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

I don’t think they have the part policy is still a labour brexit first which is what the leadership want, now if you take the view that there will never be a labour brexit then yes they are a second referendum advocate. It won’t wash with those they have lost over this and other issues.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

It is still a terribly confused fudge. It is not based on any principle or coherent thought. It offers no real clue as to what a 'Labour' deal might actually look like.

And they still need to be in power for force a referendum. I can't see this making that task any easier
    it's certainly a step out of the centre of the fudge towards a position. Come a general election, what do they campaign for?
  • Options
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

rkrkrk said:

it's certainly a step out of the centre of the fudge towards a position. Come a general election, what do they campaign for?
    A different flavour of fudge.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Richard Tice. Just starting to give this chap some attention. Been rather ignoring him up to now.

Tentative initial conclusion -

Not the brightest. Also sense a certain brittle vanity. Low quality specimen.

Recommendation -

Do not deplatform entirely but limit appearances to an absolute minimum.

Whilst I’m sure that he isn’t motivated by the fact that when we leave the EU he won’t have to declare his multi-millions currently lodgers in offshore bank accounts his incredible attack on what is probably an honest diplomat was appalling.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    spudgfsh said:

Abject humiliation. There will be so much tactical voting at the next GE to prevent a Tory government that prostrates the UK at the feet of the Trumps that any seat forecasts at this stage are almost pointless.
    https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1148167705935130624?s=21

That and the length of the campaign means that it's really tough to keep the agenda on Brexit. The last election was a 'Brexit Election' but more time was spent on the tory social care policy
    If this thing blows up any further it will cause serious embarrassment to the Queen and raise questions why she was persuaded to invite the Addams family to her home for dinner in the first place.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    There is only one way that Labour can dig them out of this huge vat of confused fudge and that is with a new leadership team.

Corbyn is never going to be a credible advocate for Remain

Unless and until they get rid of him, they will be mired in this mess

• Options
    Nigelb said:

A different flavour of fudge.

Chocolate? Toffee? ooh ooh Banana Daiquiri?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I wasn't. That would be a turnip for the books.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

I wasn't. That would be a turnip for the books.
    Just propagating a theory.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Trump can go fxxk himself .

Who the hell does he think he is . So his advice was sue the EU , that would have gone down well !

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    GIN1138 said:

rkrkrk said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    That's why Boris will get in first (if he's got any sense) and call an election in September on his own terms.
    Just one problem with that. He can't call an election on his own terms. He's going to need the cooperation of Labour to achieve that. They may have other ideas.
    Labour have been consistently calling for an election. They would happily oblige Boris surely.
    Ineed. The idea Labour would vote against a general election, when offered, is fanciful. No Opposition could do that and remain credible which is why FTPA is basically a worthless piece of legislation.
    I am pretty sure that Labour would contrive to lose the vote if it were asked to help call for a general election which they thought they were going to lose.

In 2017 the mad Corbynistas thought they were going to win.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:
    Tbh, most of the country would agree with the statement about Theresa. She was abject.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Nigelb said:
    Not just Tories. There are elements there that most people here would agree with surely?

"I have been very critical about the way the UK and Prime Minister Theresa May handled Brexit" - I think this applies to you and me too.
    "What a mess she and her representatives have created" - Ditto
    "I told her how it should be done, but she decided to go another way" - We haven't told her but we have each said our own ways on how it should be done.
    "I do not know the Ambassador" - Me neither, do you?
    Snipping bit about US
    "It was the Queen who I was most impressed with!" - Would you be more impressed with the Queen or Theresa May?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    It’s all gone quiet you can’t all be watching dispatches, I’m sure it’s a load of ch4 propaganda 😁 but very interesting
  • Options
    NEW THREAD ALERT!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited July 2019

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Roger said:

Richard Tice being interviewed on Ch4 News about the US Ambassador's leaked email. What a spiv! Worth playing again because I fear he's the shape of things to come in Johnson's dystopian Britain.

I'm afraid that PC's description of Nicholas Witchell applies to most of these brexity types.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Yes. Ref2 with Remain on the ballot guaranteed.

Perfectly clear. Perfectly reasonable. The best that Remainers could with a straight face hope for or expect. It was always coming and has now ... arrived.

Any of them still whinging are really not serious about their politics.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    kinabalu said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes. Ref2 with Remain on the ballot guaranteed.

Perfectly clear. Perfectly reasonable. The best that Remainers could with a straight face hope for or expect. It was always coming and has now ... arrived.

Any of them still whinging are really not serious about their politics.
    They still claim to want to renegotiate Brexit.
    That’s dishonest without clarity on what exactly they propose to “renegotiate”.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nichomar said:

Whilst I’m sure that he isn’t motivated by the fact that when we leave the EU he won’t have to declare his multi-millions currently lodgers in offshore bank accounts his incredible attack on what is probably an honest diplomat was appalling.

Appalling indeed. This is (sadly) shaping up as a culture war.

Cognescenti vs Ignorami.

No middle ground.

The "I"s have had it in the last 2 big matches (WH16 and EU16) but I think the Cogs can hit back in the next 2.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    nichomar said:

Fox is the worst though. The people of the north-west should be ashamed.
This discussion has been closed.