Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In spite of all the uncertainty a 2019 general election is sti

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Tokyo, I agree. This will help Labour.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    marke09 said:

Scenario 1: Imagine that a General Election is held later this year before Brexit has been delivered. Boris Johnson is the leader of the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party, Jo Swinson is leader of the Liberal Democrats and Nigel Farage is leader of the Brexit Party. How do you think you would then vote?

Con: 17%
    LDem: 17%
    Brex: 16%
    Lab: 13%
    SNP: 3%
    Green: 6%
    Plaid: 1%
    Oth: 2%
    Don’t know: 14%
    Would not vote: 9%
    Refused: 2%

Figures with undecideds and refused excluded:
    Con: 23%
    LDem: 23%
    Brex: 21%
    Lab: 17%
    Grn: 8%

I suspect some Remainers will go back to Labour from the LDs after Corbyn's backing for EUref2 this morning but not all given Corbyn has only said Labour will campaign for Remain against No Deal or a Tory Deal not against a Labour Deal
  • Options
    Incidentally, more domestic woes, so if I happen not to post F1 stuff it's probable that's the cause. Just a heads up.

[Obviously I could be decapitated by a low-flying flamingo, but that's less predictable].
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    marke09 said:

Scenario 2: Imagine that a General Election is held later this year after Brexit has been delivered. Boris Johnson is the leader of the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party, Jo Swinson is leader of the Liberal Democrats and Nigel Farage is leader of the Brexit Party. How do you think you would then vote?

Con: 20%
    Lib: 15%
    Brex: 10%
    Grn: 7%
    Oth: 1%
    Don’t know: 16%
    Refused: 4%

Con: 28%
    LDem: 20%
    Brex: 14%
    Grn: 9%

But what is this "Brexit" which has been "delivered"? This is the nub of the problem, and one which makes me sceptical of any such polls.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The problem with any amendments now is the Tory Leadership .

This is complicating the issue and the maths .
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    FF43 said:

The highly spun article in the Sun yesterday suggests Jeremy Hunt has a good idea who was responsible for the leak and is VERY keen that attention is diverted to the Russians

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1148339719262089216

Surely it suggests Hunt was just answering a silly question about whether the Russians leaked it: Of course it would be massively concerning if it was the act of a foreign, hostile state. I’ve seen no evidence that that’s the case.

The idea (or misdirection) it was a foreign state comes from a different, unnamed "senior government figure" elsewhere in the article.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,775
    Endillion said:

I don't think that Labour have actually said what people think they have said. Corbyn's letter to party members says this:

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote.

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.

In other words, IF there is a referendum on Revoke vs No Deal (or a wicked Tory-branded deal indistinguishable from the warm cuddly Labour-branded deal which Corbyn could magic up if he were PM), then Labour would campaign for Revoke. But they've always said they would oppose No Deal or a wicked Tory-branded deal, so there doesn't seem much new here.

What is very conspicuously missing is a commitment to support such a referendum in the first place.

Is it me that has missed something, or is it every journalist reporting on this who has failed to spot this?

The first sentence you quote is calling on the new PM to call a referendum. How much more support do you want?
    Priest: "Do you, Jeremy Corbyn, take Referenda to be your lawful wedded policy?"
    Corbyn: "I, Jeremy Palestine Corbyn, do probably expect that the new PM will call for a referendum in which I may support it unless I won't"
    Referenda: "What the fuck is that? Do you love me or don't you?"
    Corbyn: "I've made my position quite clear"
    Referenda: "Aargh!" (Runs out of church)
    Priest: "Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you?"
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Lots of people bitching about Labour's new position but I think it's what they need.

All but the most remainiacest remainiacs can tolerate the it since they get their referendum, but it's also something an MP in a leave-voting seat can reasonably defend: They're trying for a better deal, Brexit can still happen, Labour may even support it if it protects jobs.

Leaving those little bits of air on either side means they won't get much credit from very EU-focused people of a Leave or a Remain persuasion, but the job isn't to impress them, it's to avoid hamstringing incumbent Labour MPs running for reelection.

But they don't necessarily get their referendum

Parliament has voted against a second vote on a number of occasions now

The only way Labour can force won is to win a GE. This new fudge makes no attempt to answer the question as to what they would campaign for in that election manifesto.

There is no outline of how a Labour deal would come about.

This is not a credible position and it is clearly unravelling already.

It will not help them at all.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I assume that the Panorama programme is absolutely damning.
  • Options
    I don't really understand Labour's "prolong the agony" stance.

It'd be very odd going into a General Election saying, "we'll drag this out with a further long period of negotiation AND a referendum..." It's incredibly unattractive to people who are tired of the whole thing, and has the oddity mentioned by Chris Leslie that, if they win an election then they are pro-Brexit, and if they lose it they are anti-Brexit, which is hard to explain and sell.
  • Options
    Labour's Brexit policy will be up for grabs at conference in September anyway so today's announcement needs to cover only the situation where Boris (or Hunt) somehow contrives to call an election before then.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Incidentally, more domestic woes, so if I happen not to post F1 stuff it's probable that's the cause. Just a heads up.

[Obviously I could be decapitated by a low-flying flamingo, but that's less predictable].

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Hope your woes get resolved asap.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Dura_Ace said:

GIN1138 said:

Because one thing everyone, whatever side of the Brexit debate they're on, can agree with is his assessment of the complete disaster that is Theresa May?
    She successfully kicked the can this far. No mean feat.
    'Was May merely the fall guy for an inevitable failure or was she utterly incompetent? The answer is of course both – May was doomed to fail but she and her government sure managed, to adapt Samuel Beckett, to fail better.'

https://twitter.com/fotoole/status/1148487472806072321
    That book sounds brutal.

On the ideas floating around in Whitehall for the Border, one official asks Cook: “Has someone told you about facial recognition for pigs?”

Fucking hell. However bad you think this is in the repining hours before dawn; it's actually worse.
    Is there any precedent for a nation going through a years long fubar with its politicians aware of how disastrous it is and will be, yet seemingly unable to do anything to sort it? Vietnam?
    This is more broad spectrum dysfunction that smacks of the Weimar Republic.

"Violated, dishonored, wading in blood, dripping filth. There stands bourgeois society," as Rosa Luxemburg observed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    dixiedean said:

marke09 said:

Scenario 2: Imagine that a General Election is held later this year after Brexit has been delivered. Boris Johnson is the leader of the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party, Jo Swinson is leader of the Liberal Democrats and Nigel Farage is leader of the Brexit Party. How do you think you would then vote?

But what is this "Brexit" which has been "delivered"? This is the nub of the problem, and one which makes me sceptical of any such polls.
    It's everyone's imagined unicorn brexit. Hence I doubt that 28% figure as I suspect things would be far less rosy than many people think.
  • Options
    Nothing on tonight's Boris vs Hunt debate?
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Who was saying be would be making things up with us this morning?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited July 2019

But they don't necessarily get their referendum

Parliament has voted against a second vote on a number of occasions now

The only way Labour can force won is to win a GE. This new fudge makes no attempt to answer the question as to what they would campaign for in that election manifesto.

There is no outline of how a Labour deal would come about.

This is not a credible position and it is clearly unravelling already.

It will not help them at all.

They get their referendum if Labour wins a GE, that's what it's about.

A Labour deal would theoretically come about by going back to the EU and saying we'd like to renegotiate a new deal without being bound by TMay's red lines. I think this negotiation probably would actually happen in a way that the Boris "we'd like to recommence banging our heads on the same brick wall we've been banging it against for the last 3 years" wouldn't, but as a Remainiac I'm not particularly bothered if it doesn't and we end up with a referendum on Remain vs TMay-Barnier.

Not being able to say whether they'd be for the result of their deal or not has *some* potential to make them look shifty in an election campaign, but TBF since this theoretical deal hasn't yet been negotiated it's not an unreasonable stance. Cameron won a majority on something similar: He was going to ask for a negotiation, then a referendum, and recommend Leave or Remain depending on the outcome of the negotiation. Cynical observers may have said that he was obviously going to recommend Remain no matter what the outcome, but the line was enough to get him through the campaign.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

FF43 said:

The highly spun article in the Sun yesterday suggests Jeremy Hunt has a good idea who was responsible for the leak and is VERY keen that attention is diverted to the Russians

Surely it suggests Hunt was just answering a silly question about whether the Russians leaked it: Of course it would be massively concerning if it was the act of a foreign, hostile state. I’ve seen no evidence that that’s the case.

The idea (or misdirection) it was a foreign state comes from a different, unnamed "senior government figure" elsewhere in the article.
    One reason to think it wasn't the Russians, is that the emails weren't dumped on the internet, they were passed to Oakeshott but someone who was presumably checked out by her editors. They would have to be extraordinarily dozy to publish them without being highly confident of their origin.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    marke09 said:

Scenario 1: Imagine that a General Election is held later this year before Brexit has been delivered. Boris Johnson is the leader of the Conservatives, Jeremy Corbyn remains leader of the Labour Party, Jo Swinson is leader of the Liberal Democrats and Nigel Farage is leader of the Brexit Party. How do you think you would then vote?

An LD/Green agreement as in Brecon gets very interesting in that scenario.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    dixiedean said:

marke09 said:

Exactly. How did it go? Disruption, chaos and shortages filling the media -> Tory wipeout. The world appears normal -> Tory honeymoon. Any poll that tries to embrace both of these scenarios is worthless.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Nothing on tonight's Boris vs Hunt debate?

Nothing matters. Votes are already cast.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    You have to imagine Twitter is just seen as some sort of safety valve by whatever grown-ups Trump has around him.. y'know.. picking your battles. "Well, I suppose it's better than the Big Red Button when he's got one on him".

One assumes that if he *did* reach for the Big Red Button in the same sort of mood, someone would put him on the naughty step and take his electronic devices away until he calmed down.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    viewcode said:

Endillion said:

I don't think that Labour have actually said what people think they have said. Corbyn's letter to party members says this:

Whoever becomes the new Prime Minister should have the confidence to put their deal, or No Deal, back to the people in a public vote.

In those circumstances, I want to make it clear that Labour would campaign for Remain against either No Deal or a Tory deal that does not protect the economy and jobs.

In other words, IF there is a referendum on Revoke vs No Deal (or a wicked Tory-branded deal indistinguishable from the warm cuddly Labour-branded deal which Corbyn could magic up if he were PM), then Labour would campaign for Revoke. But they've always said they would oppose No Deal or a wicked Tory-branded deal, so there doesn't seem much new here.

What is very conspicuously missing is a commitment to support such a referendum in the first place.

Is it me that has missed something, or is it every journalist reporting on this who has failed to spot this?

The first sentence you quote is calling on the new PM to call a referendum. How much more support do you want?
    Priest: "Do you, Jeremy Corbyn, take Referenda to be your lawful wedded policy?"
    Corbyn: "I, Jeremy Palestine Corbyn, do probably expect that the new PM will call for a referendum in which I may support it unless I won't"
    Referenda: "What the fuck is that? Do you love me or don't you?"
    Corbyn: "I've made my position quite clear"
    Referenda: "Aargh!" (Runs out of church)
    Priest: "Dude, what the fuck is wrong with you?"
    Well, I think he's been pretty clear this time, but I suppose he only has himself to blame if he doesn't get credit for it, given what a mess he's got into on the issue to date.
  • Options
    Some confusion .

4 out of 5 Grieve amendments have been selected . I think the issue with NC14 might be that it could involve the Queen .

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    glw said:

FF43 said:

One reason to think it wasn't the Russians, is that the emails weren't dumped on the internet, they were passed to Oakeshott but someone who was presumably checked out by her editors. They would have to be extraordinarily dozy to publish them without being highly confident of their origin.
    The Russian business is absolute balls. Hunt thinks the rest of us are as fucking thick as the tory membership.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

marke09 said:

An LD/Green agreement as in Brecon gets very interesting in that scenario.

Looks pretty pointless hypothetical polling reinforced by 'pushing' Brexit and the leadership of the various parties. Voters can decide for themselves how important those issues are to them.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Those who were furious when a President with brown skin talked about the back of the queue, must be incandescent with rage now.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,221
    Pretty clear Trump's mental decline is accelerating as he loses touch with any reality other than his own sense of being slighted.

The US needs to act on 25th amendment and remove him from office before complete disaster befalls the world.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    nico67 said:

Some confusion .
    4 out of 5 Grieve amendments have been selected . I think the issue with NC14 might be that it could involve the Queen .

What do the 4 amendments do and what did the 5th (Ruled out by Laing, not Bercow) do ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Scott_P said:
    Those who were furious when a President with brown skin talked about the back of the queue, must be incandescent with rage now.

I think the difference is we all know Trump is a total arse with little regard beyond his own ego. Obama was high in much higher regard.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    How would a Corbyn created Customs Union deal do in a referendum? Remainers would vote remain as there's no benefits to leaving, Brexiteers wouldn't be satisfied on immigration/giving up control. It'd be a landslide surely.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Obama told us how to vote, we voted and the Leave vote still has not been delivered.

Trump will be fine with Boris as he tweeted last night, it is the May administration and soon to retire Ambassador who insulted him
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Pretty clear Trump's mental decline is accelerating as he loses touch with any reality other than his own sense of being slighted.

The US needs to act on 25th amendment and remove him from office before complete disaster befalls the world.

From the stuff in the Mueller report, it seems like the officials just ignore most of his damaging requests, from get Mueller fired to immediate withdrawal from Syria.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    With Brexit we get to decide our own laws, border controls snd sovereignty, whether with the US or any other nation
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Scott_P said:

Wasn't one during a referendum campaign and one afterwards? Pretty obvious difference. Our civil servants are as embarrassing as our politicians.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Obama told us how to vote, we voted and the Leave vote still has not been delivered.

Trump will be fine with Boris as he tweeted last night, it is the May administration and soon to retire Ambassador who insulted him
    Darroch didn't insult anyone, he told the truth in plain language.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Scott_P said:

I would be, if the sitting Prime Minister had explicitly asked Trump to say this in an attempt to swing votes as part of the second referendum campaign we aren't having right now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nico67 said:

Some confusion .

What do the 4 amendments do and what did the 5th (Ruled out by Laing, not Bercow) do ?
    The 4 put some blocks against suspending Parliament . The NC14 I think would have def stopped that but it would have involved the Queen.

If I’m reading this right then if the PM wanted to suspend parliament they’d have to do it before September 4th because one of the other amendments require a statement and amendable motion on NI progress .

And of course if Bozo did that there would be weeks before October 31 st so plenty of time for a lot of political pressure to happen .
  • Options
    Ironic if the rumour's true about the cretin doing the leaking being pro-American. This unedifying hissyfit only harms the US-UK relationship and helps those who want us to remain in the EU.

Not to mention, even were that not that case, such a leak is a wretched act in and of itself.

Sometimes I think modern politics is like Sideshow Bob and a road full of rakes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Yep - we mustn’t offend Trump. We’ve taken back control and that means prostrating ourselves at the feet of a racist sexual predator.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    OT: Regarding the great sport of Cricket, rain approaching Manchester. Grrrrrrrrr

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    This thread has prorogued itself
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    This thread has been

FIRED

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

Charles said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Nothing to see here, just one of the main political parties’ memberships being prepared to suspend democracy:

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1148339539586551810?s=21

Based on the various polling we’ve seen of membership views, I would now comfortably describe the Conservative Party as “far right”.
    Many diehard Remainers would now describe 52% of the electorate as 'far right'
    Willing to suspend democracy? Yes.
    See Islam as a threat to the British way of life? Yes.
    See the benefits of immigration outweighed by the disadvantages? Yes.

The Conservative party is becoming a haven for extremists.
    Things always look extreme when you only cite the extreme positions. As always it depends on the phrasing of the question and how the respondent interprets it

- immigration: banning immigration is extreme. Thinking the current balance of cost and benefit is wrong is not
    - Islam: militant Islam is. More philosophically if you look at the social polling among even moderate Muslims on homosexuality or the rights of women, I’d say their views could be seen as “a threat to the British way of life”
    - Suspend democracy - nope. This is a perceived conflict between parliamentary democracy and popular democracy. suspending parliament to implement the result of a popular vote is not the same as “suspending democracy”
    Anyone who advocates suspending parliament is beneath contempt.
    It’s not a route I would advocate but it’s not the same as “suspending democracy”.

But we do have an issue where Parliament seems determined to frustrate any possible outcome
    It would be a coup, nothing less. Parliament is sovereign and suspending parliament to enact a major change from the status quo would be a coup.
    Would not put it past the rich toffs trying it.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

You have to imagine Twitter is just seen as some sort of safety valve by whatever grown-ups Trump has around him.. y'know.. picking your battles. "Well, I suppose it's better than the Big Red Button when he's got one on him".

One assumes that if he *did* reach for the Big Red Button in the same sort of mood, someone would put him on the naughty step and take his electronic devices away until he calmed down.

The truth is way more scary. Opportunities for intervention are minimal.

Still, it beats thinking about Perimetr.

This discussion has been closed.