Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson v Hunt – what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    Foxy said:

Zephyr said:

MikeL said:

People on here making the usual mistake focussing too much on detail - eg did he answer the Q?

General public always go on big picture / general impression.

And that was?
    Bulshitting buffoon vs smug git.
    I have general impression, when Gove knifed him and May took the crown, that was a better moment then for King Boris, than this.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

dixiedean said:

So. Do we want an utterly mendacious charlatan, who promises to be a disastrously ill-informed blusterer?
    Or someone merely not barely adequate?
    Over to you Tory members.

This one voted 'neither'
    I can completely understand why you did that!

I could not vote for Johnson, so, I would probably have supported Hunt as at least he looks and sounds like a PM instead of Boris who looks like Compo out of last of the summer wine (hands in pockets). I dont like Fox hunting or any type of animal death other than for meat eating and even that I have misgivings about!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

MikeL said:

People on here making the usual mistake focussing too much on detail - eg did he answer the Q?

Good point which is probably why a significant portion of the electorate would vote for Johnson. There’s a general feeling of “ha ha that Boris, what a joker” among many, which still stems from his HIGNFY years.

What he actually says (or doesn’t say) is scary IMHO but there’s no doubting he does reach the voters others can’t.
    Oh come on, we have over the first three nights this week television which has focused on real issues wether you agree with them or not, dispatches, panorama, the debate and panorama tomorrow. How many watched any let alone all, more people watched corrie for one episode than watched all four programs. The electorate isn’t interested, love island and other issues are far more important for gods sake we’re nerds for even being marginally interested. How people actually make their mind up on how to vote is a mystery to me.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Just like I dont want to be led by an idiot, I dont want the types of people he appeals to deciding my future. It is very depressing. I am just going to have to accept this like all the other unfair shit I suffer in life! Life can be cruel...

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/1148681091940794368
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

Boris wants to throw the Ambassador under the bus.

What a tosser.

Who, apart from the slavering nutjobs in the Tory Party, are actually going to vote for this clown?

the Ambassa his office, he should resign forthwith, and fall on his sword. He has mired the UK US relationship
    The ambassador should be free to say what he wants. The issue is that some arsehole has leaked a diplomatic cable which is a treasonable offence.

The issue with Darroch isn't that he said it, that's a fair game. The issue is that he's unloved in Washington, and that's because he isn't able to move past the personal issues he clearly has with Trump. He isn't able to separate business from personality, Trump is president, whether or not Darroch wants him to be. His attitude has left this nation out in the cold, he was the wrong person for the job.
    Politico Playbook gives this assessment:

Pnterpieces of the D.C. political-media axis.

HERE'S JUST A PARTIAL LIST of times Trump administration officials and associat...

... DARROCH and the British Embassy hosted an engagement party on Sept. 10, 2017 for KATIE WALSH and MIKE SHIELDS, which REINCE PRIEBUS, STEVEN MNUCHIN and SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS all attended. The engagement party list ...

... DARROCH hosted a Jan. 18, 2017 party in honor of Trump's inauguration. RUDY GIULIANI, COREY LEWANDOWSKI, CHRIS CHRISTIE, MARC SHORT, TOM BARRACK and SEB GORKA were among the attendees. The full inauguration party list ... KELLYANNE and GEORGE CONWAY attended the Dec. 31, 2016 New Year's Eve party. The NYE list
    And not Trump.
    You said he was "unloved in Washington."
    None of those people are in the Trump inner circle. Face it, Darroch couldn't get past his dislike for Trump and let if affect his job. That's why he's a poor ambassador, not because he told the truth about him in a diplomatic cable.
    No need for me to face anything, Max, because I don't have a clue as to whether he is a poor Ambassador or not, although I would suspect he is rather good because one tends not to get the top job unless one is at least ok. I was just quoting Politico, which has a decent enough reputation and would be closer to the scene than you or I.

Or am I wrong about you in this connection?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,416
    edited July 2019
    Jolly bad form from both and ITV over Darroch . To openly discuss whether a public servant should be sacked was disgraceful given he was doing his job . Its so vulgar and very american type politics! Apart from that both were far better than most Labour politicians would be . If PM ,Boris would at least give a boost to morale and not be so bloody serious and robotic and if Hunt then at least he is the pragmatic sort and obviously intelligent.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

What a tosser.

Who, apart from the slavering nutjobs in the Tory Party, are actually going to vote for this clown?

the Ambassa his office, he should resign forthwith, and fall on his sword. He has mired the UK US relationship
    The ambassador should be free to say what he wants. The issue is that some arsehole has leaked a diplomatic cable which is a treasonable offence.

The issue with Darroch isn't that he said it, that's a fair game. The issue is that he's unloved in Washington, and that's because he isn't able to move past the personal issues he clearly has with Trump. He isn't able to separate business from personality, Trump is president, whether or not Darroch wants him to be. His attitude has left this nation out in the cold, he was the wrong person for the job.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP said Monday that British Ambassador KIM DARROCH was "not liked or well thought of within the U.S." But many members of the Trump administration socialize with Darroch, as the NYT's PETER BAKER and MAGGIE HABERMAN separately pointed out. The British ambassador and his mansion on Mass Ave., next to the VP's residence, are centerpieces of the D.C. political-media axis.

HERE'S JUST A PARTIAL LIST of times Trump administration officials and associat...

... DARROCH and the British Embassy hosted an engagement party on Sept. 10, 2017 for KATIE WALSH and MIKE SHIELDS, which REINCE PRIEBUS, STEVEN MNUCHIN and SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS all attended. The engagement party list ...

... DARROCH hosted a Jan. 18, 2017 party in honor of Trump's inauguration. RUDY GIULIANI, COREY LEWANDOWSKI, CHRIS CHRISTIE, MARC SHORT, TOM BARRACK and SEB GORKA were among the attendees. The full inauguration party list ... KELLYANNE and GEORGE CONWAY attended the Dec. 31, 2016 New Year's Eve party. The NYE list
    And not Trump.
    None of those people are in the Trump inner circle. Face it, Darroch couldn't get past his dislike for Trump and let if affect his job. That's why he's a poor ambassador, not because he told the truth about him in a diplomatic cable.

What percentage of Darroch’s dispatches have you read to come to that conclusion?

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:
    She'll be PM by the end of the year ...
    The LibDems will do well in any GE this year to exceed 12%. Polls already have them dropping back to 15%/16%.
    Only the pollsters that got them so wrong at the Euros.

The Euros have never been a guide to a subsequent GE. Comres and Opinium have LDs and Bxt Pty falling back compared with their first post-EU election polls.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,529
    Yorkcity said:

Scott_P said:
    What price are you going to give us ?
    You can get 160 on Jo Swinson next PM on BFx. That would require Johnson or Hunt failing to form a government, Corbyn also.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited July 2019

dixiedean said:

So. Do we want an utterly mendacious charlatan, who promises to be a disastrously ill-informed blusterer?
    Or someone merely not barely adequate?
    Over to you Tory members.

This one voted 'neither'
    I can completely understand why you did that!

I could not vote for Johnson, so, I would probably have supported Hunt as at least he looks and sounds like a PM instead of Boris who looks like Compo out of last of the summer wine (hands in pockets). I dont like Fox hunting or any type of animal death other than for meat eating and even that I have misgivings about!
    Fox hunting lost Hunt both my wife and my votes
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kjohnw said:

What a tosser.

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP said Monday that British Ambassador KIM DARROCH was "not liked or well thought of within the U.S." But many members of the Trump administration socialize with Darroch, as the NYT's PETER BAKER and MAGGIE HABERMAN separately pointed out. The British ambassador and his mansion on Mass Ave., next to the VP's residence, are centerpieces of the D.C. political-media axis.

And not Trump.
    I'm not sure who his inner circle is but I thought Kellyanne Conway at least was.
    His family.
    Do we know how many people that includes? ;)
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:
    The LibDems will do well in any GE this year to exceed 12%. Polls already have them dropping back to 15%/16%.

The Euros have never been a guide to a subsequent GE. Comres and Opinium have LDs and Bxt Pty falling back compared with their first post-EU election polls.
    This was always going to happen. OGH predicted it would be weird polling and go back to normal later before Europe campaign even began.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    Scott_P said:

Just like I dont want to be led by an idiot, I dont want the types of people he appeals to deciding my future. It is very depressing. I am just going to have to accept this like all the other unfair shit I suffer in life! Life can be cruel...

I am sorry for her to be honest. There is a lot more to life than politics
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,126
    MikeL said:

Which is why as a Labour supporter I fear Johnson.

He appeals to the shallow and the apolitical (2 things which often go together) and this constitutes a very significant section of the electorate.
  • Options
    trawltrawl Posts: 142

Off topic, looking again at the Electoral Calculus prediction from the YouGov poll earlier, I note that the Brexit party is predicted to pick up 28 out of the 40 Welsh seats.

And 68 seats in total from 20.3% of the vote. UKIP 12.6% at GE2015 gave them one seat. What mid-teen percentage point (for a UK or GB wide party) suddenly turns into dozens of seats? Unconvinced, but then I did get a bit burnt on UKIP in 2015 (3-5 seats IIRC)

• Options

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Peterborough saw a performance well short of a LD breakthrough - indeed they polled well below the levels achieved in 2010, 2005 , 2001 - and the Alliance vote shares in 1987 & 1983. In February 1974 the Liberals managed almost 21% - well above the 12.3% polled last month.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Ian Dunt lowering the tone as usual...
  • Options

It was a decent debate but we needed another hour. Hunt landed some decent blows and I think Johnson would collapse with sustained scrutiny.

The telling moment was obviously the question about Darroch.

Boris confirmed he was happy to throw him under the bus. He tried to make a feeble accusation that Hunt was no better than he because Hunt might not extend Darroch beyond retirement but it collapsed under the weight of its own ridiculousness.

Yes, I thought it was a decent enough debate, GW, and far better than the BBC's botched event.

It didn't tell us much we did not know already, but that doesn't really matter for the likes of us who follow these things closely and are more aware than the average Joe and Joanne of the issues and personailities involved.

For me, it conformed that the Conservatives would be marginally better off electorally with Hunt than Johnson because he would be able to withstand better the rigours and scrutiny of an extended campaign. But since I think the Party is cattle trucked either way, it matters little.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ian Dunt lowering the tone as usual...

Yes - a certain trend to sound edgy makes this sort of vulgarity depressingly common in supposedly serious commentators
  • Options

You will struggle to top this as a typo!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Scott_P said:

We heard all this in 2008... And 2012...

All just a little bit of history repeating... :D
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Jolly bad form from both and ITV over Darroch . To openly discuss whether a public servant should be sacked was disgraceful given he was doing his job . Its so vulgar and very american type politics! Apart from that both were far better than most Labour politicians would be . If PM ,Boris would at least give a boost to morale and not be so bloody serious and robotic and if Hunt then at least he is the pragmatic sort and obviously intelligent.

I dont think we want somone making us laugh when they send troops into battle, respond to a terrorist attack, raise taxes or reduce Government spending. Have IQs suddenly dropped and the only way people can deal with things is by making an inadequate clown PM who will not engage with reality by proclaiming we should be optimistic whilst destabilising the economy, currency and foriegn policy?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    kinabalu said:

You will struggle to top this as a typo!
    At last the wife is free of her captor.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    nichomar said:

MikeL said:

Good point which is probably why a significant portion of the electorate would vote for Johnson. There’s a general feeling of “ha ha that Boris, what a joker” among many, which still stems from his HIGNFY years.

What he actually says (or doesn’t say) is scary IMHO but there’s no doubting he does reach the voters others can’t.
    Oh come on, we have over the first three nights this week television which has focused on real issues wether you agree with them or not, dispatches, panorama, the debate and panorama tomorrow. How many watched any let alone all, more people watched corrie for one episode than watched all four programs. The electorate isn’t interested, love island and other issues are far more important for gods sake we’re nerds for even being marginally interested. How people actually make their mind up on how to vote is a mystery to me.
    Many people don't.

I live and work near my polling station. At the European Elections I went to vote while on a break and got back and a colleague asked me where I'd been [never discuss politics at work] and I said to vote. She didn't know there was an election on that day!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Peterborough saw a performance well short of a LD breakthrough - indeed they polled well below the levels achieved in 2010, 2005 , 2001 - and the Alliance vote shares in 1987 & 1983. In February 1974 the Liberals managed almost 21% - well above the 12.3% polled last month.
    Steady on! It's as absurd to use P'boro as a benchmark as it would to use Brecon if, as expected, the Peril storm home there.

The simple truth is that they are doing well, and if Labour and the Conservatives continue to screw up, there's every reason to think they will do better.

Simples, no?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Off topic, looking again at the Electoral Calculus prediction from the YouGov poll earlier, I note that the Brexit party is predicted to pick up 28 out of the 40 Welsh seats.

I will be amazed if they win any seats in Wales in a GE.
    On the subject of Wales, I noticed this earlier:

https://twitter.com/DoddsJane/status/1148616014927712256?s=19

Have either Johnson or Hunt been out canvassing with the Con candidate there?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

But Euros polling is a guide to how good the pollsters are in an election where the could be compared with real results.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited July 2019

I dont think we want somone making us laugh when they send troops into battle, repond to a terrorist attack, raise taxes or reduce Government spending. Have IQs suddenly dropped and the only way people can deal with things by making an inadequate clown PM who will not engage with reality by proclaiming we should be optimistic whilst destabilising the economy, currency and foriegn policy?

There were Conservative Party moonbats members on the radio this morning, and "cheer us up", "make us laugh" were literrally the key assets of Boris in their view, and they didn't seem all that fazed by the negatives, such minor things like having a reputation for being dishonest, and being a lazy bluffer.

I can't even fathom how a member of a political party would care so little about their leader being competent to lead the party, government, and country. It was more like they were voting for an entertainer for the AGM dinner.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

But Euros polling is a guide to how good the pollsters are in an election where the could be compared with real results.
    So long as the election you want to compare to is a low-turnout election.

If you want to compare to General Election turnout levels then we have had 2 of them in the last few years? Why not base accuracy on those rather than who could figure out low turnout the best?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

Surely the Tories have enough trouble explaining their candidate selection without adding those two into the mix?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Foxy said:

justin124 said:

They may both have had a bit to do elsewhere.....
  • Options
    glw said:

I dont think we want somone making us laugh when they send troops into battle, repond to a terrorist attack, raise taxes or reduce Government spending. Have IQs suddenly dropped and the only way people can deal with things by making an inadequate clown PM who will not engage with reality by proclaiming we should be optimistic whilst destabilising the economy, currency and foriegn policy?

There were Conservative Party moonbats members on the radio this morning, and "cheer us up", "make us laugh" were literrally the key assets of Boris in their view, and they didn't seem all that fazed by the negatives, such minor things like having a reputation for being dishonest, and being a lazy bluffer.

I can't even fathom how a member of a political party would care so little about their leader being competent to lead the party, government, and country. It was more like they were voting for an entertainer for the AGM dinner.
    To paraphrase Churchill, one's belief in democracy is unlikely to survive five minutes conversation with a Party member.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Mitt Romney was not in trousers?

WTAF did he wear then? A kilt?

Wouldn't put it past him - you know Mitt.

No, it's a running gag I have with our resident Boris & Trump prop merchant.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    Shame for Jeremy most have already voted then......
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    So long as Boris avoided soiling himself, he's probably done enough. Heck he could literally shit himself on live TV at this point and still win with the debate timing.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Steady on! It's as absurd to use P'boro as a benchmark as it would to use Brecon if, as expected, the Peril storm home there.

The simple truth is that they are doing well, and if Labour and the Conservatives continue to screw up, there's every reason to think they will do better.

Simples, no?
    Not that simple. It is perfectly reasonable to compare the LibDem performance in a given constituency with earlier election results in the same seat. I am simply pointing out that the LibDems/Alliance/Liberals have managed much stronger performances there in the not so distant past.
    As to the LibDem poll figures, they can only be said to be doing well in relation to post-2010 polls. They are nowhere near the levels seen for the Alliance in the 1980s nor under Ashdown & Kennedy from the mid-1990s - 2005. It is more a case of the Tory and Labour ratings having fallen so low! There are some signs that the main parties are now beginning to recover , and I would expect that to continue at the expense of the LDs. Bxt pty and the Greens - possibly also the SNP - particularly if we see an early GE.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Simples, no?
    Not that simple. It is perfectly reasonable to compare the LibDem performance in a given constituency with earlier election results in the same seat. I am simply pointing out that the LibDems/Alliance/Liberals have managed much stronger performances there in the not so distant past.
    As to the LibDem poll figures, they can only be said to be doing well in relation to post-2010 polls. They are nowhere near the levels seen for the Alliance in the 1980s nor under Ashdown & Kennedy from the mid-1990s - 2005. It is more a case of the Tory and Labour ratings having fallen so low! There some signs that the main parties are now beginning to recover , and I would expect that to continue at the expense of the LDs. Bxt pty and the Greens - possibly also the SNP - particularly if we see an early GE.
    But the LibDem fortunes will be asymmetric, weighted towards areas that voted more strongly for Remain. Which isn’t P’Boro.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Scott_P said:
    This is what annoys me about the candidates. Delivering a no deal Brexit does not unite the country.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    glw said:

I just dont understand the appeal of Boris. I was a member of the Tories in the past and they would not have voted for an idiot back then. The membership must have been overwelmed by the Brexit fundamentalist tendency which would explain the drop in IQ...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The briefing message that got May to drop her flirtation with the extreme.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Pulpstar said:

So long as Boris avoided soiling himself, he's probably done enough. Heck he could literally shit himself on live TV at this point and still win with the debate timing.

He did not answer the questions yet he is going to be our next Prime Minister
  • Options

Will having Boris Johnson as PM really raise your morale?

That's nice if so because it will counteract the lowering of mine.

The net impact on national morale will of course depend on whether there are more of you or more of me.
  • Options

Foxy said:

justin124 said:

They may both have had a bit to do elsewhere.....
    Too busy to make an appearance today, I understand. There have been other opportunities though.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    kjohnw said:

when parliament gets in the way of the people' it needs shutting down, just like Cromwell did when he said to parliament : “You have been sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!.”
    Cromwell, that noted democrat, as a guide to modern leaders? I can see Putin saying he was his sort of man.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Scott_P said:
    :lol:

Tories about to saddle themselves with PM wildly popular with its core base and no one else.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

glw said:

I just dont understand the appeal of Boris. I was a member of the Tories in the past and they would not have voted for an idiot back then. The membership must have been overwelmed by the Brexit fundamentalist tendency which would explain the drop in IQ...
    I was sat next to a NHS consultant at a dinner a couple of weeks ago, a highly intelligent woman, who went all starry-eyed about Boris and said she'd joined the Tories in order to vote for him. I was speechless.
  • Options

I can understand someone saying "AND he makes me laugh", but when people who have taken enough interest in politics to join a political party are more or less saying that's their reason for voting I just can't understand it. It makes no sense to me that politcally engaged people are picking a leader for non-political reasons, it would be like a football manager picking a team by who has the best haircuts.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    When BoZo crashes and burns, will he take the party with him, or just the Country?
  • Options
    Do we have a Boris exit date market yet?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,130
    Slightly O/T my daughter graduated in law from Edinburgh University today. When my wife and I graduated in 1982 women were less than 10% of the class. Today I would say that 70-80% of the graduates were women and an even higher percentage of the UK graduates (there were a lot of obviously foreign students).

The world is not so much changing as changed and frankly Boris, with his fairly appalling attitude towards women, wives and lovers just looks anachronistic. It may be that his electorate is equally so and this will not do him any damage in the leadership election but I fear for the future of a Boris led Tory party.

The legal profession in Scotland finally became 50% female this year but the future is female for it and most of the professions. Current education methodology greatly favours them. Medics are trying to hang on to some sort of sexual equality (mainly because of the problems caused by maternity/part time working) but Edinburgh have again gone to 2:1 for women reflecting their higher entrance qualifications.

Do these bright young women really want a dishonest, untrustworthy, philanderer as their PM? I really seriously doubt it.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

Simples, no?
    As to the LibDem poll figures, they can only be said to be doing well in relation to post-2010 polls. They are nowhere near the levels seen for the Alliance in the 1980s nor under Ashdown & Kennedy from the mid-1990s - 2005. It is more a case of the Tory and Labour ratings having fallen so low! There some signs that the main parties are now beginning to recover , and I would expect that to continue at the expense of the LDs. Bxt pty and the Greens - possibly also the SNP - particularly if we see an early GE.
    But the LibDem fortunes will be asymmetric, weighted towards areas that voted more strongly for Remain. Which isn’t P’Boro.
    That would only hold true if the electorate is as obsessed with Brexit as assumed by the commentariat. In reality , I strongly suspect that voters are sick to death of it and will be very receptive to other issues being raised. Opportunity for Corbyn there - for the second time.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Regardless of how bad things might be politically in the UK at least most MPs aren’t determined to strip women of rights and want people to marry whoever they like .

We might have the polarizing Brexit debate but on social issues the UK thankfully hasn’t followed the USA.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Tories about to saddle themselves with PM wildly popular with its core base and no one else.
    It's incredible to think that the Tories looked at Labour voting for Corbyn and thought "that looks fun, we should try it".

I couldn't tell you which party I think has made, or soon will make, the biggest mistake. Probably it's the Tories as they will be sending their idiot straight through the front door of No. 10.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    DavidL said:

Slightly O/T my daughter graduated in law from Edinburgh University today. When my wife and I graduated in 1982 women were less than 10% of the class. Today I would say that 70-80% of the graduates were women and an even higher percentage of the UK graduates (there were a lot of obviously foreign students).

The world is not so much changing as changed and frankly Boris, with his fairly appalling attitude towards women, wives and lovers just looks anachronistic. It may be that his electorate is equally so and this will not do him any damage in the leadership election but I fear for the future of a Boris led Tory party.

The legal profession in Scotland finally became 50% female this year but the future is female for it and most of the professions. Current education methodology greatly favours them. Medics are trying to hang on to some sort of sexual equality (mainly because of the problems caused by maternity/part time working) but Edinburgh have again gone to 2:1 for women reflecting their higher entrance qualifications.

Do these bright young women really want a dishonest, untrustworthy, philanderer as their PM? I really seriously doubt it.

Doesn’t 80% women graduates point to a serious issue there? Or is it only an issue if men dominate a high-paying profession? ;)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Regardless of how bad things might be politically in the UK at least most MPs aren’t determined to strip women of rights and want people to marry whoever they like .

We might have the polarizing Brexit debate but on social issues the UK thankfully hasn’t followed the USA.

Don't assume things can't get worse, we keep making that mistake.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I fear identity obsession is the future from this sort of post. Medics need primarily to cure people not be a demographic.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

There was a seriously impressive American lawyer given an honorary doctorate at the ceremony today. He has dedicated his life to defending the poor and the wrongly convicted with many notable successes for his organisation including having over 100 death penalty convictions quashed.

Some of the statistics were almost beyond belief. In Alabama more than 30% of black men between 18-35 have been disenfranchised for life because of a criminal conviction. The US has well over 2m people incarcerated, a massively disproportionate number of whom come from ethic minorities. Gerrymandering is almost a superficial part of the problem. When do we stop counting the US amongst democracies at all?
  • Options
    Tabman said:

glw said:

I was sat next to a NHS consultant at a dinner a couple of weeks ago, a highly intelligent woman, who went all starry-eyed about Boris and said she'd joined the Tories in order to vote for him. I was speechless.
    Was that before he promised to unblock the ceiling on their pensions?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,245
    DavidL said:

Most I’m sure didn’t want Brexit but you gifted that to her and them.
  • Options
    glw said:

I can understand someone saying "AND he makes me laugh", but when people who have taken enough interest in politics to join a political party are more or less saying that's their reason for voting I just can't understand it. It makes no sense to me that politcally engaged people are picking a leader for non-political reasons, it would be like a football manager picking a team by who has the best haircuts.
    Boris does not make people laugh as such but makes them feel happy or good about themselves or about whatever topic Boris is talking about . Installing that is a good quality of any leader - far better than being a policy or detail obsessive to the point of installing misery in people
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Real clear politics has updated Aaand... Biden still leads by 14.3 from Harris, Sanders and Warren who are all very close.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

glw said:

Boris does not make people laugh as such but makes them feel happy or good about themselves or about whatever topic Boris is talking about . Installing that is a good quality of any leader - far better than being a policy or detail obsessive to the point of installing misery in people
    Literally like Hitler, so he's good? Dear god.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Doesn’t 80% women graduates point to a serious issue there? Or is it only an issue if men dominate a high-paying profession? ;)
    It really does. In my view it is time that the entire industry of women's studies, sexual equality etc is wound down. They continue to go on about the pay gap which is entirely generational reflecting clear discrimination in the past. Amongst women under 40 who are in full time employment it doesn't exist and younger women out earn the men reflecting their better qualifications.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,372
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hunt really is Mitt Romney

I thought Mitt Romney was a good candidate. His problem was religion and the fact he came up against a popular incumbant POTUS. I would be happy for a Romney like candidate given the dog shit that Boris personifies! By the way did you ever see the newspaper cartoon depicting Boris as a Labrador shitting over a garden? It was funny and shows how Boris will be lampooned as a figure of fun.
    Romney was a flip flopper like Kerry and like Hunt.

Figures of fun sometimes win eg Berlusconi
    Only a diehard Boris Booster could post that with a straight face.

• Options
    EPG said:

glw said:

Literally like Hitler, so he's good? Dear god.
    Hitler ? If anything Boris is the polar opposite - lacking in any ideology , never seen Boris rant , not massive on details , very laid back.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    kinabalu said:

It'll be plenty amusing when he gets no confidenced asap and sets a new record for shortest PM term in British history.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Blimey. Telegraph leading on that headline. Is someone getting second thoughts?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I am as entitled to my opinion as they are. And if they were graduating today they would have had the vote in 2017.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

It really does. In my view it is time that the entire industry of women's studies, sexual equality etc is wound down. They continue to go on about the pay gap which is entirely generational reflecting clear discrimination in the past. Amongst women under 40 who are in full time employment it doesn't exist and younger women out earn the men reflecting their better qualifications.
    I think you'll find Women's Studies is about a tad more than pay differentials.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

kinabalu said:

It'll be plenty amusing when he gets no confidenced asap and sets a new record for shortest PM term in British history.
    Only Hunt and May will be laughing harder than me!
  • Options

DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

I think you'll find Women's Studies is about a tad more than pay differentials.
    From the tone of his post, that sounds unlikely.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I fear identity obsession is the future from this sort of post. Medics need primarily to cure people not be a demographic.
    There are clearly problems with the medical profession becoming women dominated. Training doctors is very expensive and those who chose to go part time or take years out for their children are a pretty poor investment. It is not just who got the most A*s.
  • Options

If Boris wants to be Major of London again, or party chairman, that would be fine; being a laugh, a figurehead who lets others do the hard work, and bluffing your way can work at some levels. Prime Minister is not one of those jobs.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Hunt really is Mitt Romney

I thought Mitt Romney was a good candidate. His problem was religion and the fact he came up against a popular incumbant POTUS. I would be happy for a Romney like candidate given the dog shit that Boris personifies! By the way did you ever see the newspaper cartoon depicting Boris as a Labrador shitting over a garden? It was funny and shows how Boris will be lampooned as a figure of fun.
    Romney was a flip flopper like Kerry and like Hunt.

Figures of fun sometimes win eg Berlusconi
    Only a diehard Boris Booster could post that with a straight face.

No, it is absolutely true
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

What a tosser.

The 52%
    I suspect not.

Qualifier: I did not watch the debate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Real clear politics has updated Aaand... Biden still leads by 14.3 from Harris, Sanders and Warren who are all very close.

I topped up at 7.8 the other day. Still on at 7.6.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20.

Hunt is popular with leftwingers and Remainers relative to Boris who tend to be the majority on twitter, they will not vote for a Hunt led Tories though
  • Options
    Damn that's my phone gone flat.

Had so much more to say tonight too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1148312432768684032?s=20.

Hunt is popular with leftwingers and Remainers relative to Boris who tend to be the majority on twitter, they will not vote for a Hunt led Tories though
    As a diehard polling obsessive you are going to argue yourself up a blind alley.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I am as entitled to my opinion as they are. And if they were graduating today they would have had the vote in 2017.
    Your vote likely flew in the face of what “young women really want “ and lead directly to the situation you bemoan is their fate. So less of the O Woe on their behalf as it’s not a good look.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

What a tosser.

How has English Nationalism and Take Back Control ended up as let's become the 51st state of the USA?
    It always was, in the form of Fox, Hannan, Carswell and the like. The IEA, Koch-funded organisations, etc.

The tragedy of the UK is the number of rich people who want us to be Alabama when we should be Norway.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    “Hunt’s team going down swinging...” one way of cheering themselves up, I guess. But do they have to tell us all about it ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    kjohnw said:

What a tosser.

the Ambassador should not have made unnecessary insulting remarks about the President of the United States, regardless of his own personal views, he has not acted in a professional manner, and has demeaned his office, he should resign forthwith, and fall on his sword. He has mired the UK US relationship
    I'll bet you our ambassador to the EU has described Juncker as an incoherent drunk
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Your vote likely flew in the face of what “young women really want “ and lead directly to the situation you bemoan is their fate. So less of the O Woe on their behalf as it’s not a good look.
    That's just rubbish. What I am speculating on is the chances of them voting for someone like Boris. I just don't see it. But there is no woe, I am sure that they have bright futures ahead of them.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

I have pointed out at several equality training days that white males from comprehensive schools, such as myself, are in the 0% or so of the population, but only about 15% of medical school intake. It tends to quieten the room effectively.

To be fair, our Med School has altered the entrance interviews to address this as an issue.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Shame for Jeremy most have already voted then......
    Yes, you've made that point before Mark, and as a member yourself you would certainly know a lot better than someone like me.

You might think voters would want to listen to the arguments and have a look at the candidates before voting, but it seems most had made their mind up long ago. Would I be right in thinking this is a sign of widespread entryism, and that many paid-up members are in fact UKIPpers making sure the right man gets in?
  • Options
    glw said:

If Boris wants to be Major of London again, or party chairman, that would be fine; being a laugh, a figurehead who lets others do the hard work, and bluffing your way can work at some levels. Prime Minister is not one of those jobs.

If he even gets there he is going to be severely exposed. The top job is like having your soul x-rayed I seem to recall someone said.
  • Options

glw said:

I wonder if Boris will start using props to make people laugh? He could put ferrets down his trousers or wear novelty teeth fashioned on Ken Dodds gnashers! Lets be optimistic and bury our heads in the sand and laugh until our sides split open! Brexit will be the easiest negotiation ever! Dont be down cast as the economy goes down the U bend, smile and think of Boris as he will not be thinking of you!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

That's just rubbish. What I am speculating on is the chances of them voting for someone like Boris. I just don't see it. But there is no woe, I am sure that they have bright futures ahead of them.
    Yeah whatever.
This discussion has been closed.