Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Darroch shows he’s a true diplomat and resigns

Comments

• nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

So we have the first PM Bozo fiasco before he has even got the job...

Will he actually survive long enough to get the job, those who have laced Johnson May get a surprise win when he has to fall on his sword.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    The problem isn't Kim Darroch or Boris Johnson, the problem is the person who leaked the information.
    Indeed.

Once Darroch's words were leaked his position was untennable. Boris knew this (Hunt knew this too but wanted to play games at Boris's expense)

The real story here is who leaked and why? Will we ever know...
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:
    It really isn’t a humiliation

The simple fact is there is a jerk in the White House

But if he refuses to work with our ambassador that’s something we need to adjust to.

Adjusting is not the same thing as prostrating.

• DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2019
    OllyT said:

Perhaps we should freeze out the US Ambassador following the comments he has made quite publicly about our Prime Minister and the Mayor of London.

If you can't see that we are just giving in to an overgrown baby and bully to boot then you are entirely missing the point. This is a glimpse of our future after Brexit with Johnson playing Trump's poodle. Any trade deal will be what Trump decides it will be and if we argue he'll throw another tantrum

That's what we did in the war with JFK's dad who was replaced as US Ambassador because he forecast Nazi victory.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    India 71 for 5.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's probably fair to say that Sir Kim's position had become untenable even without Boris and others failing to give him the support he deserves and should have expected. However, I'm sure it's also the case that the timing - which makes it look as though a couple of tweets from Trump are enough to cause the UK to jump to attention and do whatever he says - is the fault of Boris Johnson.

This affair, the brain-dead commitment to October 31st, and the quite extraordinary refusal to rule out treating parliament in the manner of Charles 1st, should be enough to dash any lingering hopes that Boris might not be quite as unsuitable to be PM as he seemed. Looks like he'll be even worse than one would have feared.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    I feel like the country is at the end of a human centipede where Trump and Boris form the first two segments. Boris is gobbling shit from Trump's slack old arse and the UK is doing the same to Boris.

I might get some t-shirts made and start selling merch.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

AndyJS said:

GIN1138 said:

Waiting for Trump's next round of Tweets. :D

It would be nice if Twitter could be shut down for a few months to give everyone a rest.
    Yep.

Funnily though, when it was first launched hardly anyone could work out what use it would be or why it would work as a service.
    I’m still struggling to see a positive use for it
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Dura_Ace said:

I feel like the country is at the end of a human centipede where Trump and Boris form the first two segments. Boris is gobbling shit from Trump's slack old arse and the UK is doing the same to Boris.

I might get some t-shirts made and start selling merch.

Shut up and take my money.
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

Alan Duncan on BBCPL now - “angry with Johnson”

“Respect [in parliament] for Boris has taken a real nosedive today”

Hunky Dunky is playing to the gallary as usual.

Does Team Hunt really think any of this will actually make any difference to Boris becoming Con leader and PM two weeks today?
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    India......skidding !
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038

OllyT said:

Perhaps we should freeze out the US Ambassador following the comments he has made quite publicly about our Prime Minister and the Mayor of London.

If you can't see that we are just giving in to an overgrown baby and bully to boot then you are entirely missing the point. This is a glimpse of our future after Brexit with Johnson playing Trump's poodle. Any trade deal will be what Trump decides it will be and if we argue he'll throw another tantrum

That's what we did in the war with JFK's dad who was replaced as US Ambassador because he forecast Nazi victory.
    We are not in a war. At least not yet, but I'm sure when Trump starts throwing the bombs around Boris will be right beside him.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

It's probably fair to say that Sir Kim's position had become untenable even without Boris and others failing to give him the support he deserves and should have expected. However, I'm sure it's also the case that the timing - which makes it look as though a couple of tweets from Trump are enough to cause the UK to jump to attention and do whatever he says - is the fault of Boris Johnson.

This affair, the brain-dead commitment to October 31st, and the quite extraordinary refusal to rule out treating parliament in the manner of Charles 1st, should be enough to dash any lingering hopes that Boris might not be quite as unsuitable to be PM as he seemed. Looks like he'll be even worse than one would have feared.

Well as you will be voting LD if Boris wins anyway will he really be that bothered if you think his premiership is awful?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Pant's down! 71/5
    Right decision by Darroch and Boris can ensure the right successor is appointed
    Will the First Division union take some action?
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

At some point fairly soon, 150 Tory MPs, 150 Labour MPs and 20 assorted LDs and Independents need to man up and put country before party.
    It must be quite difficult to get two Es at A Level.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    What's striking is just how many Conservatives are being forthright in their criticism of Boris Johnson on this. If he can't command loyalty now, he's going to find that he has volunteered to lie down on a bed of nails.
    HYUFD said:

Don’t worry; May and Hunt will pick the successor!
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Hmmm - I had believed he made the decision on the basis of an acceptance of reality and regardless of the views of any of his political masters. It reflects less well on him if he was swayed by BJ's lack of clear support. Resignation was the right course of action regardless of the comments or lack of them of any politicians.

The problem with the way Seamus wants Jezza to approach PMQs is that it is all about raising an issue that will give them a few seconds of vid for campaigning social media.

Never mind if not the big major news story of the day.

Is it a problem?

Big issue of the day he will be able to answer question separately.

Buses or social media clip he can do in PMQ

No one normal cares what is talked about at PMQ
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Does Team Hunt actually think any of this will actually make any difference to Boris becoming Con leader and PM two weeks today?
    No, of course, not. But Blobby must know the consequences of his Trump ar**licking !
    edited July 2019
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Well as you will be voting LD if Boris wins anyway will he really be that bothered if you think his premiership is awful?
    Your set response to a fellow conservative who criticise Boris is beyond contempt
    IanB2 said:

“Just being a supplicant like this seems to be a Boris attitude”

“Instead of a fresh start with a clean slate in a mood of national confidence, Boris now looks rather tawdry”

Alan Duncan is a key Hunt backer and has always been anti Boris
    AndyJS said:

Justin will be along in a mo to tell us how 'ard A-Levels were back in the day and now that is like 3 As.....The fact he went to one of the back state schools in the country of course is irrelevant.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,081
    edited July 2019

Yes, an experienced politician (and former FS FFS) should have realised that the right thing to do was to back our ambassador in public, even if behind the scenes he is being advised to step down. He also ought to have the foresight to see that if and when the guy is forced to go (as seemed at least a strong possibility as soon as the story broke) it would be better to avoid looking like you are to blame for bringing him down.

What's striking is just how many Conservatives are being forthright in their criticism of Boris Johnson on this. If he can't command loyalty now, he's going to find that he has volunteered to lie down on a bed of nails.

It's all pointing to an Autumn election and a new House of Common being needed.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    I've seen little comment on the role that May has had in forcing Darroch's resignation. But as soon as she said that she didn't agree with some of his assessments, she was effectively destroying her faith in him to do the job.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_P said:
    One hopes that these sources are not civil servants failing to display impartiality!
    Why do her doctors and advisers keep allowing her to stand outside in the summer heat for these ceremonies.
    OllyT said:

Scott_P said:
    This is an absolute disgrace.

I hope all Tory members who are merrily voting for Boris can live with themselves.
    His tenure was ending soon anyway and Trunp had already frozen him out.

Whoever leaked should be in jail but realistically the moment this was published he was doomed. He should have fallen on his sword days ago.

What has Woody Johnson said negative about May or Khan? Nothing, he has been a model of diplomacy and a savvy ex businessman
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,571
    HYUFD said:

Would it be unreasonable to label you a diehard Johnsonite ?
    We had better get used to the taste of chemical chicken and rubbery cheese...
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

New PM's usually arrive in office with a Commons majority and a degree of goodwill.

Boris will have no majority and roughly 1/3 of his MPs actively despise him. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke 🤨☕️

— General Boles (@GeneralBoles) July 10, 2019
    A quick trade deal can only mean one thing: TOTAL SURRENDER. I was not aware that is what "take back control" meant.
    HYUFD said:

I have never said that I would vote LibDem purely because Boris becomes leader. It's crashing us out with No Deal which is my absolute, non-negotiable red line, to which now needs to be added proroguing parliament.

As for whether Boris will be bothered by how I vote - why should he be? I've only met him once and he won't remember.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    HYUFD said:

It hasn't even started yet and it's already like reading Invitation to a Beheading while doing ketamine.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Would it be unreasonable to label you a diehard Johnsonite ?
    Dazzled by the fake Messiah
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    GIN1138 said:

It's not that easy. Boris Johnson may find himself trapped in a gilded cage.

IanB2 said:

We had better get used to the taste of chemical chicken and rubbery cheese...

You aren't forced to buy either and rubbery cheese has been a staple in UK supermarkets for decades.
    India last 5 overs: 7/1. Ouch !

Scott_P said:
    Why does anyone give a damn what she thinks on any subject?
    Why does anyone give a damn what any of us think?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787

A quick trade deal can only mean one thing: TOTAL SURRENDER. I was not aware that is what "take back control" meant.
    Trade deals are also not negotiated by ambassadors.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    edited July 2019

Surely game was up when Trump chose to freeze him out? An Ambassador who is frozen out is not much of an Ambassador.

It shouldn't have been leaked and we should investigate and punish whoever did it, but our diplomatic corps need to realise leaks are quite probable in the internet age. Shouldn't be, but are. Pandora's Box can't be closed.
    Quite. There’s lots to dislike about Boris and I said last night that I thought his comments disloyal, but an ambassador whose confidential thoughts have been exposed is no longer a good ambassador. It would have been very difficult to see how he would have been able to stay in post, no matter the flag waving from some politicians.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,231
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Whoever failed to ensure communication between the Ambassador and HMG were not secure and encrypted should also be facing serious questions.

They were secure and encrypted.

Then they are distributed to lots of people within HMG, one of whom gave them to a "journalist"
    My headcanon says that GCHQ decrypted them, handed them to the NSA, who gave them to Trump, who gave them to Farage/Boris, who leaked them to the press via Oakeshott... :)
    That's pretty much how we got the Americans into WW1.
    Indeed. I actually own a copy of "Codebreakers" by James Wyllie so I should have remembered that, but I didn't. Thank you for the reminder.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    GIN1138 said:

LOL! Love how everyone is trying to make this about Boris.

Desperate, desperate, desperate.

Perhaps because his lack of support is the reason the Ambassador has given for quitting. Sometimes it's best to not defend the indefensible.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    HYUFD said:

Richard is a patriot. You support a football team.

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

“Just being a supplicant like this seems to be a Boris attitude”

“Instead of a fresh start with a clean slate in a mood of national confidence, Boris now looks rather tawdry”

Alan Duncan is a key Hunt backer and has always been anti Boris
    Funny that so many people who worked for or with Boris end up feeling like that.

Alastair Burt, another FO minister, saying similar things in more measured tones on BBC

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

But if he refuses to work with our ambassador that’s something we need to adjust to.

Adjusting is not the same thing as prostrating.

Sacking would have been prostrating

Darroch wasn’t sacked.

Boris doesn’t come out of this well though (although it doesn’t change my view of him)

HYUFD said:

When they have purged the most sensible people, HY’s name will rise to the top of the list; the stain of having voted Remain cannot be expunged from his record however zealous he tries to be after the event.
    edited July 2019
    viewcode said:

Indeed. I actually own a copy of "Codebreakers" by James Wyllie so I should have remembered that, but I didn't. Thank you for the reminder.

I went to the launch of the new 'Top Secret' exhibition (which is about GCHQ) at the Science Museum last night. I strongly recommend it. There are some fascinating exhibits and it is well presented.

https://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/see-and-do/top-secret
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

Darroch wasn’t sacked.

Is that pinhead big enough for you?

Of course he was sacked
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited July 2019

Bit like the Dems trying to get that SC vacancy filled before Obama left. I hope they manage it but I doubt they will. I think it will be left for Johnson. I predict somebody suitably rancid who will fit in over there in Trumpton.

Richard Tice?
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Do you think we should refuse to work with the US Ambassador after the insults Trump has levelled at the Prime Minister and the Mayor of London or is this just a one way street where we just roll over every time the man-child has a twitter tantrum?

HYUFD said:

Richard is now a LD whose main priority is refusing to implement the Brexit vote the majority voted for.

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Darroch wasn’t sacked.

Of course he was sacked
    So we should blame May?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:
    The problem isn't Kim Darroch or Boris Johnson, the problem is the person who leaked the information.
    Indeed.

Once Darroch's words were leaked his position was untennable. Boris knew this (Hunt knew this too but wanted to play games at Boris's expense)

The real story here is who leaked and why? Will we ever know...
    I hope so. Surely they will be charged with something - under the Official Secrets Act?

HYUFD said:

Your set response to a fellow conservative who criticise Boris is beyond contempt
    It’s like he’s modelled his view of how politics works on the house of cards
    IanB2 said:

At least this didn't result in someone ending up in an Iranian prison

The weather conditions are perfect for New Zealand and their style of cricket.
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

It must be a cutthroat world amid the diehard councillors of Epping parish.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    HYUFD said:

Richard is now a LD whose main priority is refusing to implement the Brexit vote the majority voted for.

Which Tory leadership candidates would you classify as Lib Dems on the same basis? Michael Gove?
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Then clearly you weren't concentrating on who was saying it. And paying for it.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

AndyJS said:

Justin will be along in a mo to tell us how 'ard A-Levels were back in the day and now that is like 3 As.....The fact he went to one of the back state schools in the country of course is irrelevant.
    I don't go that far - though it would be comparable to 2 Cs today. Until the system of relative marking was abandoned at the end of the 1980s , 30% of A level students failed to achieve the minimum E grade pass - nowadays that only applies to 2.5%
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So we should blame May?

He was sacked by Trump
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

I have never said that I would vote LibDem purely because Boris becomes leader. It's crashing us out with No Deal which is my absolute, non-negotiable red line, to which now needs to be added proroguing parliament.

As for whether Boris will be bothered by how I vote - why should he be? I've only met him once and he won't remember.
    Given most Tory voters and Leave voters in every poll prefer No Deal to Revoke on a forced choice by definition that means you are no longer a Tory if you are so adamant against No Deal in all circumstances.

Boris voted for the Withdrawal Agreement at MV3 and still wants a Deal with the EU (rempving the temporary Customs Union for GB) but if the Commons refuses to vote for one then No Deal it has to be even if diehard Remainers have a tantrum
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    AndyJS said:

The weather conditions are perfect for New Zealand and their style of cricket.
    They're the opposite to England, great on tricky wickets and terrible on roads.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No he is not.

It is you who have become indoctrinated by Boris and lost your sense of reason

HYUFD said:

Which Tory leadership candidates would you classify as Lib Dems on the same basis? Michael Gove?
    Rory Stewart certainly and Dominic Grieve and Philip Lee and Justine Greening too on the backbenches
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

HYUFD said:

Olly Robbins.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

Boris let slip in the debate about the "fortcoming election", which sounds imminent not 2022 imo! So you might get an autumn election but i would not bank on Boris doing any better than May in 2017. I will not vote Tory whilst Boris is leader, the LD will get my vote!
    OllyT said:

IanB2 said:

At least this didn't result in someone ending up in an Iranian prison
    Although someone should be in a UK prison.
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Darroch wasn’t sacked.

Of course he was sacked
    No, he wasn’t. His position was untenable since the first moment that Trump made an issue of the leaks.

He was smart enough to realise that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him recognised in the honours list in January. Plus some sinecures somewhere over the next 12 months
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If “LD” has risen to the insult of choice amongst diehard Tories, the party must be making real progress toward breaking the two party system! The Corbynite equivalent is still to call party colleagues a “Tory”.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    IanB2 said:

When they have purged the most sensible people, HY’s name will rise to the top of the list; the stain of having voted Remain cannot be expunged from his record however zealous he tries to be after the event.

Voted Remain? I would not have guessed that, I must say.

2016 Remainer morphs into a 2019 Andrea Jenkyns in trousers - what an intrepid and remarkable journey!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No he is not.

It is you who have become indoctrinated by Boris and lost your sense of reason
    Richard Navabi has said in his own words he would vote LD rather than a Tory Party implementing No Deal as a last resort to ensure Brexit as he said below
    OllyT said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Do you think we should refuse to work with the US Ambassador after the insults Trump has levelled at the Prime Minister and the Mayor of London or is this just a one way street where we just roll over every time the man-child has a twitter tantrum?
    If Darroch hadn’t resigned I would have not invited Woody to the fun stuff but carried on working with him.

This sort of stuff has always happened but usually behind closed doors. More diplomatically if you like 😉

Trump is the first to play it out on Twitter

GIN1138 said:

Boris let slip in the debate about the "fortcoming election", which sounds imminent not 2022 imo! So you might get an autumn election but i would not bank on Boris doing any better than May in 2017. I will not vote Tory whilst Boris is leader, the LD will get my vote!
    I’m not sure - he was answering a question about an election and one is always forthcoming. I don’t see Boris has the balls to put his job on the line so soon, and the Tory party is in no fit state to agree on a platform right now.
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Darroch wasn’t sacked.

Of course he was sacked
    No, he wasn’t. His position was untenable since the first moment that Trump made an issue of the leaks.

He was smart enough to realise that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him recognised in the honours list in January. Plus some sinecures somewhere over the next 12 months
    The penalty for leaking the cables of a US ambassador will be very steep, I am assuming. They are looking at prison surely?

Why would anyone (FO official/Spad etc) take such a risk?

There must have been a mighty reward involved or some overbearing reason.

HYUFD said:

Olly Robbins.
    That would be fantastic. :D
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stop this BS @HYUFD

A prospective candidate should not be spending their time trying to chase voters away from the party
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

I’m not sure - he was answering a question about an election and one is always forthcoming. I don’t see Boris has the balls to put his job on the line so soon, and the Tory party is in no fit state to agree on a platform right now.
    Boris will work day and night to avoid a GE. But it may well be out of his hands frankly.
    IanB2 said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

😂

When the stakes are small...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

India 71 for 5.

Do you bet on sports at all ?

Some good observations here the last few days..
    AndyJS said:
    AndyJS said:

This New Zealand innings could prove to be a lot cleverer than it looks.

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If “LD” has risen to the insult of choice amongst diehard Tories, the party must be making real progress toward breaking the two party system! The Corbynite equivalent is still to call party colleagues a “Tory”.
    It is only Hyufd who has taken to labelling his fellow conservatives LD if they do not agree with his great hero Boris. He has also adopted a 'diehard' tag to remainers

He has become an extreme ERG disiciple influenced by another hero of his IDS

OllyT said:

According to Wiki:-
    "
    Kennedy served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1938 until late 1940, when he annoyed Roosevelt by his pessimism about Britain's survival. During the Battle of Britain in November 1940, Kennedy publicly suggested that "Democracy is finished in England. It may be here [in the United States]".[2] Following this controversy, Kennedy resigned his position"

There are key differences - Kennedy made his remarks publicly not privately to his own government and it sounds as though the pressure to quit came mainly from Roosevelt not the UK. In any event I think a war-time situation is significantly different.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rory Stewart certainly and Dominic Grieve and Philip Lee and Justine Greening too on the backbenches
    I would happily take all of those, although Dominic might struggle in the LibDems.

But it would be nicer if you would let us pick?
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stop this BS @HYUFD

A prospective candidate should not be spending their time trying to chase voters away from the party
    + 100 x 100
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stop this BS @HYUFD

Richard Navabi has already said he will vote LD if Boris does No Deal as a last resort to.implement Brexit, I did not open the way to leaving the party, he did
    GIN1138 said:

IanB2 said:

Does Team Hunt really think any of this will actually make any difference to Boris becoming Con leader and PM two weeks today?

I think the leaderships settled - it's what happens next that really matters and this is not doing Johnson any favours.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    This is what the left have become. Scrawling weird connections walls like psychopaths. Cadwalladr has a lot to answer for.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is only Hyufd who has taken to labelling his fellow conservatives LD if they do not agree with his great hero Boris. He has also adopted a 'diehard' tag to remainers

He has become an extreme ERG disiciple influenced by another hero of his IDS
    Not atypical. HYUFD is a telling barometer of the way the Conservative party is going.
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

😂

When the stakes are small...
    It is the grassroots imcluding me who campaign and canvass day in and day out and weekends in all weathers for the party and they now want a leader they believe in ie Boris.

So be as patronising as you want Charles but without the grassroots the party would be nothing and nobody would get elected anyway
This discussion has been closed.