Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we wait for the controversial Panorama report on LAB and an

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

I agree with this string of thought.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1147493527061966848

It would be much better if we can get Brexit done following a general election than the Prorogation of Parliament.
    We've already had two General Elections, a European Election and a referendum on the issue. No more extra votes for Remain - they've had their chances.
    In each of those elections "No Dealers" lost the vote.
    Leave won.

The Remain-dominated House of Commons had 3 chances to pass a Withdrawal Agreement but they didn't. So now we leave without a deal. Simple.
    Is it remain dominated? You can't call the ERG MPs remain and they are one reason why we haven't left?

And why should any opposition MP vote for leave when the party of Government doesn't do so...
    Isn’t it 2/3 Remain-voting MPs?
    How many Tory MPs are actively remain?
    How many Tory MPs are ERG lunatics?
    One-third and maybe one-tenth?

Wait, if by actively remain you mean seeking to overturn, probably about one-twentieth.
    Actively remain means not voting for May's Deal so it's probably 5 MPs of whom 4 have left the party.
    The ERG has 62 members (wikipedia via Google)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Foxy said:

Taking advice from 'Sir' John Major on Europe is like listening to Dr Harold Shipman lecture us all on the importance of Doctor-Patient welfare.

Threatening more court cases though reminds me of Remain before Article 50 was triggered. Looks like they're all out of options, the devious snakes.

As I recall the A50 litigation was successful.

If Parliament is Prorogued, I think the survival of the PM, and of No Deal could be measured in nanoseconds.
    The very basis of the reason A50 litigation was successful is why it might not be against prorogation.

The A50 litigation said that because Article 50's invocation changed the law [because Britain would leave after 2 years[ it needed Parliament to approve it. Parliament already has approved it, thus it has approved what happens at the end of A50 [leaving without a deal] which was the reason why Miller won.

If Parliament is prorogued that won't change the law, the law will remain what it was when it was prorogued. Which is what MPs have already voted for.

First you and your fellow Brexit freedom-fighters claim 'Parliament is Sovereign', we want the HoC to determine our destiny. Now Parliament might do something you don't want it to do, you demand a Sovereign Exectutive.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

It would be much better if we can get Brexit done following a general election than the Prorogation of Parliament.
    We've already had two General Elections, a European Election and a referendum on the issue. No more extra votes for Remain - they've had their chances.
    Leave won.

The Remain-dominated House of Commons had 3 chances to pass a Withdrawal Agreement but they didn't. So now we leave without a deal. Simple.
    Is it remain dominated? You can't call the ERG MPs remain and they are one reason why we haven't left?

And why should any opposition MP vote for leave when the party of Government doesn't do so...

Wait, if by actively remain you mean seeking to overturn, probably about one-twentieth.
    Actively remain means not voting for May's Deal so it's probably 5 MPs of whom 4 have left the party.
    Probably being generous with the lunatic label there. :p
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

eek said:

ERG not voting to pass a Withdrawal Agreement were de facto voting for a No Deal Brexit. As was anybody else voting against the Withdrawal Agreement.

There is one agreement, the EU has been clear. It was take it or leave it, and the House of Commons decided to leave it. So now we leave without an agreement.

No - my MP definitely wasn't voting for No Deal... I've accused her of such to her face afterwards and she was rather upset as I spelled out the reasoning...

The letter I got afterwards is a sight to behold...
    If she voted against the only Deal she voted to at least keep No Deal on the table. If it happens it will be in no small part because she rejected the Deal.
    Yep - I know that. She was, however, "voting for her (vocal) constituents viewpoint"...

Were it not for Boris I would spend the next election winding her up however........
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    eek said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Taking advice from 'Sir' John Major on Europe is like listening to Dr Harold Shipman lecture us all on the importance of Doctor-Patient welfare.

Threatening more court cases though reminds me of Remain before Article 50 was triggered. Looks like they're all out of options, the devious snakes.

The court case that the government lost that gave parliament a vote on the leaving deal is a relevant precedent.
    Did that work out well then?
    So far, so good.
    We really should not feed the trolls, it’s satisfying at the time but will never change minds. There is an interesting pattern developing on here which I think will develop without our help. For once the stars have aligned in a unique constellation that I have never witnessed before. It has its own momentum, I don’t know where it’s going to end but after 44 years of political involvement I am enjoying the rollercoaster. I’m no longer there to put boots on the street but I can join phone banks and help financially.

Is it happening in the wider world? I don’t know but the general public are pissed off with all politicians and it will take superior skills to get any message across.
    My concern would be that it's not superior skills its just targeting and management.

I suspect shifting Tory voters to the extremes (see my poorly created pictures earlier) will be the entire focus of the next election and I really do pity those people who don't understand what's about to happen,,
    Oh far sighted one - your wisdom is wondrous to behold. How cowed we poor mortals are in your presence.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

eek said:

GIN1138 said:

Nope we've had a Referendum that came up 52:48 and a general election where May failed to get the majority she needed to deal with the loony wing of the Tory party.

And that lack of majority needs to be sorted as currently Parliament is as divided as the country is....
    Not just that, but there's an even smaller proportion for no-deal in the country than in parliament. A cross-analysis of various polls, for more than a year, reveals a hardcore of no more than around 27-30 % actively for no-deal, once it's understood that this doesn't mean continuity.

Are Viceroy of Orange and others arguing for taking the most cataclysmic decision in this country since 1940 on the basis of 30 % support ?
    Yes
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Leave won.

ERG and the lunatic label sadly go rather well together...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Leave won.

ERG and the lunatic label sadly go rather well together...
    The two terms are synonymous.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited July 2019

Whatever it reveals, tonight’s Panorama will change absolutely nothing inside Labour. It will continue to be institutionally anti-Semitic for as long as the far left is in control. The only thing you can do to make a difference is not vote Labour. But doing that means you let in Johnson, who also stands shoulder to shoulder with racists, is in the pocket of Donald Trump and would happily sell the country down the river if it served his purposes. In whichever direction you look the UK's future is bleak and getting bleaker. Those who able to leave are mad to stay!

Neither of the 2 main parties have much incentive to change under FPTP as all they have to do is wait for Buggin's turn. We are the only EU country that has such an archaic voting system but as we all things we think it's the other 27 that are wrong!

Just when Labour should be streaking ahead Corbyn and Milne and co are going to be dragging the party's name through the mud again tonight, You don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It is hard to have any optimism and we are seriously considering moving on now we are retired.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

If Parliament is Prorogued, I think the survival of the PM, and of No Deal could be measured in nanoseconds.
    The very basis of the reason A50 litigation was successful is why it might not be against prorogation.

The A50 litigation said that because Article 50's invocation changed the law [because Britain would leave after 2 years[ it needed Parliament to approve it. Parliament already has approved it, thus it has approved what happens at the end of A50 [leaving without a deal] which was the reason why Miller won.

If Parliament is prorogued that won't change the law, the law will remain what it was when it was prorogued. Which is what MPs have already voted for.

First you and your fellow Brexit freedom-fighters claim 'Parliament is Sovereign', we want the HoC to determine our destiny. Now Parliament might do something you don't want it to do, you demand a Sovereign Exectutive.
    No you're wrong. I don't want this current generation of MPs to be sovereign, I want the voters at the ballot box to be sovereign. I want voters to take control.

Leaving the EU without a backstop does that. MPs can then be held to account because they can change our laws accordingly.

If our current generation of MPs frustrates Brexit then that is them rejecting the voters taking control.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    DavidL said:

CatMan said:

Whatever it reveals, tonight’s Panorama will change absolutely nothing inside Labour. It will continue to be institutionally anti-Semitic for as long as the far left is in control. The only thing you can do to make a difference is not vote Labour. But doing that means you let in Johnson, who also stands shoulder to shoulder with racists, is in the pocket of Donald Trump and would happily sell the country down the river if it served his purposes. In whichever direction you look the UK's future is bleak and getting bleaker. Those who able to leave are mad to stay!

If only we had PR
    I've always been a fan of FPTP and the more decisive governance it provides but as our politics becomes ever more fragmented it gets harder to defend. As our major parties show less and less interest in being broad churches containing a range of views within it becomes even more difficult.
    'more decisive government' or, in other words, malapportionment, is an argument /against/ thr current system, not one in favour.

I am in favour of the system, but because it provides for geography-based constituent representation, not for its disproportionality. For me an ideal result is when FPTP happens to deliver a proportional outcome.

The most ludicrous situation of all is when electoral reformers cite the drawbacks of coalitions and/or indecisive election results as an argument for 'PR', mind. The very scenarios that become far more likely under PR...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

nichomar said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The court case that the government lost that gave parliament a vote on the leaving deal is a relevant precedent.
    Did that work out well then?
    So far, so good.
    We really should not feed the trolls, it’s satisfying at the time but will never change minds. There is an interesting pattern developing on here which I think will develop without our help. For once the stars have aligned in a unique constellation that I have never witnessed before. It has its own momentum, I don’t know where it’s going to end but after 44 years of political involvement I am enjoying the rollercoaster. I’m no longer there to put boots on the street but I can join phone banks and help financially.

Is it happening in the wider world? I don’t know but the general public are pissed off with all politicians and it will take superior skills to get any message across.
    My concern would be that it's not superior skills its just targeting and management.

I suspect shifting Tory voters to the extremes (see my poorly created pictures earlier) will be the entire focus of the next election and I really do pity those people who don't understand what's about to happen,,
    Oh far sighted one - your wisdom is wondrous to behold. How cowed we poor mortals are in your presence.
    It's possible I'm wrong and what's left of the tory votes is a percentage that votes for a monkey wearing a blue rosette. I suspect that isn't going to be the case and there is a fair percentage of the 20% left who could still shift elsewhere.

The great unknown is how Labour works out - but I expect outside close run Brexit target seats Boris won't be winning Labour seats if the MP talks leave and the thing they offer is a second referendum that Leave will "easily win" ...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106
    A lot of the "elitist" stuff is just projection.
    But I also think there's also an element of resentment at work. Someone like Farage, who went to an expensive school but didn't go to university, made a load of money in the old style City, which is now full of PhDs, quants and foreigners. Or Boris Johnson, Eton and Oxford but too lazy to ever fulfill his potential, wasted his life writing frivolous articles to titilate semi-senile golf club bores who've drunk so much gin they've forgotten he wrote the same thing last week. When they look at a man like Darroch, born in the North East, who worked hard all his life in a serious job serving his country, they see everything they are not. And they rage that the old school tie no longer guarantees them the status they so manifestly feel is theirs by right.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Foxy said:

No you're wrong. I don't want this current generation of MPs to be sovereign, I want the voters at the ballot box to be sovereign. I want voters to take control.

Leaving the EU without a backstop does that. MPs can then be held to account because they can change our laws accordingly.

If our current generation of MPs frustrates Brexit then that is them rejecting the voters taking control.
    So you will be quite happy to a have the HoC determine future laws so long as it is manned by the right sort of MPs.who can continue their business unfettered by the constraints of the EU. How will you feel when son-of-Corbyn is elected in a landslide sometime in the future? it could happen, unless your chaps are planning safeguards to ensure that never happens.

Or are you suggesting voters take control and all primary legislation must be agreed by plebicite. If so let's have a vote on No Deal!
  • Options

Foxy said:

But MPs can be held to account without leaving. and if you think leaving with No Deal is a guarantee for No backstop I suspect it will be back in place by February regardless...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    stodge said:

IanB2 said:

That depends on where you live. There are plenty of Labour held seats that the Tories will never win. And plenty of Tory and SNP seats that Labour will never win.

Maximising the LD vote is all that matters. With 40% of the vote we can get rid of Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage in a single night and get this country back on track.

That should be the aim whether it's Jo or Ed.

At the moment polls have them on 15%/16% and beginning to fall back.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

That depends on where you live. There are plenty of Labour held seats that the Tories will never win. And plenty of Tory and SNP seats that Labour will never win.

Maximising the LD vote is all that matters. With 40% of the vote we can get rid of Boris Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn and Nigel Farage in a single night and get this country back on track.

Most LibDem seats will be won from the Tories, and the tipping point for them starts to kick in as soon as the LibDems draw equal to the Tories in terms of vote share. Today’s 23%-23% draw in the YouGov is encouraging.
    But that was a hypothetical poll - not the normal voting intention result!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

40% is impossible (unless there is a Lib Dem / Green pact and even then I reckon it's nearer 30-33%).

I also wonder how many voters in the Lib Dem's 23% would then look at their constituency (as I have) and decided that the only option is to hold their nose and vote Labour...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

DavidL said:

CatMan said:

If only we had PR
    I've always been a fan of FPTP and the more decisive governance it provides but as our politics becomes ever more fragmented it gets harder to defend. As our major parties show less and less interest in being broad churches containing a range of views within it becomes even more difficult.
    'more decisive government' or, in other words, malapportionment, is an argument /against/ thr current system, not one in favour.

I am in favour of the system, but because it provides for geography-based constituent representation, not for its disproportionality. For me an ideal result is when FPTP happens to deliver a proportional outcome.

The most ludicrous situation of all is when electoral reformers cite the drawbacks of coalitions and/or indecisive election results as an argument for 'PR', mind. The very scenarios that become far more likely under PR...
    Nobody does that.
    With STV you can have geography-based constituencies and pretty good proportionality.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Most LibDem seats will be won from the Tories, and the tipping point for them starts to kick in as soon as the LibDems draw equal to the Tories in terms of vote share. Today’s 23%-23% draw in the YouGov is encouraging.
    So was the scenario poll yesterday.

I do wonder if its possible to have a none hypothetical poll until the Tory leader is elected...
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    I have just caught up with the previous thread. I think our Thomo raises valid points this afternoon. Someone who agreed with the assessment may have leaked it to publicise it, the timing of the resignation may be to damage Boris.

But you could also be wrong Thompson, it could have come from Russian/Wikileaks, to smail via Brexit Party, even Trumps team. I am confident we will never know, leak enquiry’s seldom succeed in getting the perpetrators.

Stitch up or not, that Boris and Brexit itself has been damaged by this Kimgate affair is beyond question.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Leave won.

The Coomons failed to pass the WA because the ERG voted against.
  • Options
    eek said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

40% is impossible (unless there is a Lib Dem / Green pact and even then I reckon it's nearer 30-33%).
    Labour need to be on board too, with or without Corbyn- hopefully without, otherwise its Boris and Nige on a home-run.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

IanB2 said:

I spent my adult life wanting to live in a Labour/Tory marginal. Now I do I wish I didn't! But I am voting LibDem whatever now. I cannot support Corbyn Labour. It is a racist party. I am sure Johnson's Tory party is too. Given that, I have to actively vote against both.

I used to be in the unfortunate position as a Labour voter to live in Leominster constituency which was a Liberal/Tory marginal and later a LD Tory marginal so I tactically voted Lib and LD. The great irony of course is the true gentleman, Peter Temple-Morris I was voting against eventually crossed the floor.
    Temple-Morris was flawed in many ways but at least he wasn’t the LD Paul Keetch who was a weapons grade moron. Shepherd wasn’t much better. Jesse Norman’s IQ is the equivalent of 5 Herefordians combined, which may not be helpful.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

I have just caught up with the previous thread. I think our Thomo raises valid points this afternoon. Someone who agreed with the assessment may have leaked it to publicise it, the timing of the resignation may be to damage Boris.

But you could also be wrong Thompson, it could have come from Russian/Wikileaks, to smail via Brexit Party, even Trumps team. I am confident we will never know, leak enquiry’s seldom succeed in getting the perpetrators.

Stitch up or not, that Boris and Brexit itself has been damaged by this Kimgate affair is beyond question.

I'm not sure - Boris has been damaged but it's the lack of support that damages him not the leak itself and that couldn't have been assumed.

As for Brexit it only confirms that leaving the EU for the US isn't the greatest plan... By itself it doesn't change anything..
  • Options
    matt said:

IanB2 said:

I spent my adult life wanting to live in a Labour/Tory marginal. Now I do I wish I didn't! But I am voting LibDem whatever now. I cannot support Corbyn Labour. It is a racist party. I am sure Johnson's Tory party is too. Given that, I have to actively vote against both.

I used to be in the unfortunate position as a Labour voter to live in Leominster constituency which was a Liberal/Tory marginal and later a LD Tory marginal so I tactically voted Lib and LD. The great irony of course is the true gentleman, Peter Temple-Morris I was voting against eventually crossed the floor.
    Temple-Morris was flawed in many ways but at least he wasn’t the LD Paul Keetch who was a weapons grade moron. Shepherd wasn’t much better. Jesse Norman’s IQ is the equivalent of 5 Herefordians combined, which may not be helpful.
    I'll raise you Bill Wiggin!
  • Options

So you will be quite happy to a have the HoC determine future laws so long as it is manned by the right sort of MPs.who can continue their business unfettered by the constraints of the EU. How will you feel when son-of-Corbyn is elected in a landslide sometime in the future? it could happen, unless your chaps are planning safeguards to ensure that never happens.

Or are you suggesting voters take control and all primary legislation must be agreed by plebicite. If so let's have a vote on No Deal!

Actually I'm happy to have the HoC determine future laws whether it is manned by the right or wrong sort of MPs. If it is the wrong sort of MPs we can remove them at the ballot box, something we can't do with the unelected von der Leyen.

If son-of-Corbyn is elected I will be very disappointed and campaign to seek to see his tenure terminated and his decisions reversed at the next election. Ie democracy.
  • Options

A lot of the "elitist" stuff is just projection.
    But I also think there's also an element of resentment at work. Someone like Farage, who went to an expensive school but didn't go to university, made a load of money in the old style City, which is now full of PhDs, quants and foreigners. Or Boris Johnson, Eton and Oxford but too lazy to ever fulfill his potential, wasted his life writing frivolous articles to titilate semi-senile golf club bores who've drunk so much gin they've forgotten he wrote the same thing last week. When they look at a man like Darroch, born in the North East, who worked hard all his life in a serious job serving his country, they see everything they are not. And they rage that the old school tie no longer guarantees them the status they so manifestly feel is theirs by right.
    Whilst on the surface that could be true the reality is x% 90? Did not have clue about his background which in all honestly is irrelevant. I was actually upset by his decision because he did nothing wrong. I thought, let’s look at how ‘twattersphere’ is viewing this. Alomost every single ‘ good riddance’ came from someone who had an active history as an ardent, if not diehard Brexiteers, those who felt like I did did not identify, even in their posting history as being biased one way or the other.

We have moved on from rational argument and those beliefs I thought people held as important, tolerance, understanding and a willing ness to consider compromise. I f I asked who’s fault is that then the answers would be predictable.

I just real sorry for some poor soul after after a lifetimes work gets shafted seven months before his retirement by a bunch of wankers.
  • Options
    eek said:

Foxy said:

But MPs can be held to account without leaving. and if you think leaving with No Deal is a guarantee for No backstop I suspect it will be back in place by February regardless...
    No, if we are within the EU then MPs can't be held to account for laws that we can't change unilaterally which is a lot of laws under the EU.

As for no backstop I disagree and I would bitterly oppose it being in place.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

Foxy said:

In 2017, voters at the ballot box gave a majority of their votes to parties that rejected a No Deal Brexit.

• Options

Actually I'm happy to have the HoC determine future laws whether it is manned by the right or wrong sort of MPs. If it is the wrong sort of MPs we can remove them at the ballot box, something we can't do with the unelected von der Leyen.

If son-of-Corbyn is elected I will be very disappointed and campaign to seek to see his tenure terminated and his decisions reversed at the next election. Ie democracy.
    Son-of- Corbyn could do an awful lot of damage to your Nirvana in 5 years, including of course re-joining the EU without a referendum.
  • Options

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Leave won.

The Coomons failed to pass the WA because the ERG voted against.
    No, the Commons failed to pass the WA because it was rejected by 432 MPs in the first vote, 391 MPs in the second vote and 344 MPs in the third vote.

The ERG don't number 432 MPs.
  • Options

eek said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Labour need to be on board too, with or without Corbyn- hopefully without, otherwise its Boris and Nige on a home-run.
    Labour with a second referendum are safe in fair few leave seats - see my comment earlier - you've always voted Labour, why change as we are only offering a second referendum. Surely Leave will win that second referendum so what's the issue, prove the point. It may seem insane but Labour only want Brexit votes they don't need core Tory votes there..
  • Options

Son-of- Corbyn could do an awful lot of damage to your Nirvana in 5 years, including of course re-joining the EU without a referendum.
    Indeed he could and I would see to undo that at the next election. Democracy, do you understand the concept?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Welcome!

The one reassurance is that, if things continue as they are, the next GE will be one on which the voting tallies from the previous GE will be less relevant than ever before.

Yep, there are going to be extremes of tactical voting across the board whenever the next election takes place. The one thing I would say is that I retain my faith in the essential decency of the majority of the British people. Unfortunately, though, the minority is bigger than I thought!

The issue won’t so much be tactical voting as against intelligent tactical voting. There are tons of Tory seats where Labour is now second that Labour won’t win in a month of Sundays, even if they were running close for lead in the polls, that could fall to other parties based on current poll ratings.

One unusual example is the Isle of Wight, long a Green target, where Labour came second last time, but they will never be able to win. On latest polls the Greens are in with a shot, especially with a pact with the LDs, yet Labour will be able to use the 2017 result to try and squeeze the LD and Green vote in their favour. If non-Tory voters trended Green, they’d chalk up another gain, but the now time-expired Corbyn surge of 2017 makes this more difficult for them.

The LibDems are in a similar position in dozens of seats across the SW and Home Counties.
    The Isle of Wight was held by Stephen Ross for the Liberals 1974 - 1987. It should be a target seat for them.
  • Options

Foxy said:

In 2017, voters at the ballot box gave a majority of their votes to parties that rejected a No Deal Brexit.

So what?

Voters at the ballot box gave a majority of their votes against all parties and against all options.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

The first step in tackling any form of institutional equalities breach is recognising that it exists. The evidence so far is that Labour doesn't.

Not voting for Corbyn won't necessarily let in Boris if there continues to be a near four-way split (or if one of those other parties starts to pull clear of Con/Lab).
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    H

matt said:

IanB2 said:

Yet Leominster and North Herefordshire people vote for him. Perhaps the quality of the opposition is not all that it might be (the Leominster greens are flat earthers for example). The latter point emphasising that a Green/LD pact might look good sense if one lives in, say, London. Less so where the LDs, the Greens and their supporters are a million miles apart (see Herefordshire Council for more details).
  • Options

eek said:

Foxy said:

No, if we are within the EU then MPs can't be held to account for laws that we can't change unilaterally which is a lot of laws under the EU.

As for no backstop I disagree and I would bitterly oppose it being in place.
    Let's see how things play out with No Deal - I have reason to believe we will be in for a lot of nasty surprises...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

The first step in tackling any form of institutional equalities breach is recognising that it exists. The evidence so far is that Labour doesn't.

Not voting for Corbyn won't necessarily let in Boris if there continues to be a near four-way split (or if one of those other parties starts to pull clear of Con/Lab).
    And if the Lib Dems don't - where else do the Labour party voters (mainly remain nowadays) go....

To highlight the issue - this is my constituency's 2017 result

Labour 22,000
    Tory 18,000 (and remember the zipgate scandal that cost a lot of votes)
    Lib Dems 1,500
    UKIP 1,500

As someone who wants remain how do you vote...
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    eek said:

In my seat I usually wasted my vote voting Lib Dem, in the last election I voted Tory only to discover the candidate had problems (of keeping trouser zips up) after my postal vote was sent.

This time the only option is Labour as Labour / Tories get 90% of all votes cast and I'm not supporting a grade A idiot as PM.... Granted Corbyn isn't much better at least he knows Trump is a.....

Vote swap. Get a Lib Dem / Green elected somewhere, in return for voting Labour / Stalinist where you are.

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Those are ComRes and Opinium results, only 1% down on the best score (this decade) from those firms, so we don't know yet what their true level of support is given the higher scores with Yougov and Ipsos-Mori.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    eek said:

And if the Lib Dems don't - where else do the Labour party voters (mainly remain nowadays) go....
    They claim that their MPs will be able to act as an effective brake and will put any moral scruples to one side for their greater good. It’s nonsense of course, Labour MPs seem to have the spine of jellyfish and the rule of popular will is king but a blind eye and all that.
  • Options

Indeed he could and I would see to undo that at the next election. Democracy, do you understand the concept?
    I think so. I just preferred it when there were safeguards to reign in the excesses of for example a Corbyn government's Soviet-style programme. I guess you are ok with that, and heaven forbid it became a popular Soviet- style populist government. Blimey, if it moves they could nationalise it.
  • Options
    matt said:

eek said:

They claim that their MPs will be able to act as an effective brake and will put any moral scruples to one side for their greater good. It’s nonsense of course, Labour MPs seem to have the spine of jellyfish and the rule of popular will is king but a blind eye and all that.
    See my post below - how do you go from 1,500 to 22,000?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    matt said:

the Leominster greens are flat earthers

Do you mean that literally?!
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    eek said:

Zephyr said:

Boris has been damaged
    eek said:

Zephyr said:

it could have come from Russian/Wikileaks, to smail via Brexit Party, even Trumps team. I am confident we will never know, leak enquiry’s seldom succeed in getting the perpetrators.

I'm not sure - Boris has been damaged but it's the lack of support that damages him not the leak itself and that couldn't have been assumed.

As for Brexit it only confirms that leaving the EU for the US isn't the greatest plan... By itself it doesn't change anything..
    If British Government assures us foreign powers were definitely not involved, I wouldn’t simply believe them, after all they would need to know who it was to be able to make that statement. Just because Assange went embassystircrazy and is gibbering behind bars doesn’t mean wikileaks or suppliers and customers gone away.

As to brexit. It’s just not the same anymore. People didnt vote for no deal, they voted to take back control not lose standing in the world and be even poorer. I am beginning to suspect something like Brexit needs to be delivered hot straight after the vote. Like when you take it out the fire and need to start bashing away at it straight away, summer we voted out was when Boris should have been crowned to deliver it. Three years following that thing that came out the fire hot has been cooling down. In those three years May over ruled Davis and allowed EU an arse over tit negotiation schedule its left Boris with little option than to say what isn’t concluded by October gets negotiated and settled after we have Brexited. That and a no deal the only Brexit left, isn’t it? Mind you I still think Boris negotiation-kicking Brexit can work, its not that different to the current deal, we claim Brexit and enter into a steady as she goes transition period, after both sides keen to avoid no deal kick even more things to be agreed to future.

Yes. How this plays out is beginning to come clear isn’t it. 🤔
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Whatever it reveals, tonight’s Panorama will change absolutely nothing inside Labour.

Welcome!

The one reassurance is that, if things continue as they are, the next GE will be one on which the voting tallies from the previous GE will be less relevant than ever before.

Yep, there are going to be extremes of tactical voting across the board whenever the next election takes place. The one thing I would say is that I retain my faith in the essential decency of the majority of the British people. Unfortunately, though, the minority is bigger than I thought!

The issue won’t so much be tactical voting as against intelligent tactical voting. There are tons of Tory seats where Labour is now second that Labour won’t win in a month of Sundays, even if they were running close for lead in the polls, that could fall to other parties based on current poll ratings.

One unusual example is the Isle of Wight, long a Green target, where Labour came second last time, but they will never be able to win. On latest polls the Greens are in with a shot, especially with a pact with the LDs, yet Labour will be able to use the 2017 result to try and squeeze the LD and Green vote in their favour. If non-Tory voters trended Green, they’d chalk up another gain, but the now time-expired Corbyn surge of 2017 makes this more difficult for them.

The LibDems are in a similar position in dozens of seats across the SW and Home Counties.
    The Isle of Wight was held by Stephen Ross for the Liberals 1974 - 1987. It should be a target seat for them.
    IOW is interesting Ross was a personality, the locals, I think selected the lunatic who’s name escapes me, before they realized he was a lunatic. There is actually a real problem when any, but maybe particularly the lib dems, party controls all levels of government. People gravitate to the party because they want to be councilors and the only way to achieve that’s is to join the party. The end result can be catastrophic but in the case of the Tory’s they would argue that despite being elected as a Tory they weren’t political! Yes they actually believed being a Tory councillor wasn’t political.
  • Options

I think so. I just preferred it when there were safeguards to reign in the excesses of for example a Corbyn government's Soviet-style programme. I guess you are ok with that, and heaven forbid it became a popular Soviet- style populist government. Blimey, if it moves they could nationalise it.
    I prefer to have democracy as the safeguard.

What happens if a future EU-led government led to Soviet-style populist government and we can't kick it out at the ballot box?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Scott_P said:
    So are our own ambassadors. How will they dare to be honest if they're just going to be pilloried like this? Or worse, if they said something nasty about a psychopath - say, President Xi - and suffered a little accident.

The damage done is enormous. I hope whoever did it is found and jailed good and hard under the Byng principle.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

matt said:

Nothing would surprise me in Herefordshire. Anyone who claims superiority because they are Herefordshire born and bred is merely advertising that they were too stupid to leave. It’s like the Forest of Dean albeit with less incest.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Labour with a second referendum are safe in fair few leave seats - see my comment earlier - you've always voted Labour, why change as we are only offering a second referendum. Surely Leave will win that second referendum so what's the issue, prove the point. It may seem insane but Labour only want Brexit votes they don't need core Tory votes there..
    I spent decades in the Labour Party fending off the likes of Dave Nellist, Degsy and Corbyn. They have won- for the moment- but possibly forever. I don't want to vote for them now! If the LDs could pick up enough seats along with PC, SNP and Greens to defeat Boris and you don't need Labour I would be happy to vote for them, but I can't see that outcome for a generation. Which is why Labour even with a moron like Corbyn in charge need to be part of the Remainer picture, otherwise it is Boris and his brand of half-wittery that takes us out of the EU on his terms.
  • Options
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

Nothing would surprise me in Herefordshire. Anyone who claims superiority because they are Herefordshire born and bred is merely advertising that they were too stupid to leave. It’s like the Forest of Dean albeit with less incest.
    Incest? Don't be ridiculous.

None of us are actually related to the sheep, you know!
  • Options
    I do wonder whether Prorogation would threaten the perceived legitimacy of the Government such that there might develop demands for a General Strike etc - direct action which would receive a great deal of public support.
  • Options

What happens if a future EU-led government led to Soviet-style populist government and we can't kick it out at the ballot box?
    Ah, that old chestnut, the Federal United States of Europe!
  • Options
    eek said:

matt said:

eek said:

See my post below - how do you go from 1,500 to 22,000?
    Ask IanB2, or indeed many others here. He is and they are very confident that this time it’s different.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

The latest YouGov actually has them ahead of Labour but the point is that sufficient numbers of ex-Labour members like my wife and have switched to the LibDems and won't be even contemplating going back until Corbyn/Milne et al have been shipped off.

That may or may not result in many LibDem MPs but it's going to be enough to cost Labour seats. I don't want Johnson or Corbyn on my conscience.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    So are our own ambassadors. How will they dare to be honest if they're just going to be pilloried like this? Or worse, if they said something nasty about a psychopath - say, President Xi - and suffered a little accident.

The damage done is enormous. I hope whoever did it is found and jailed good and hard under the Byng principle.

The crime of not holding Minorca for British package holiday-makers can never be undone. Gibraltar’s beaches are not all that.
  • Options
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1149031603483697153

Hatchet job?

History of the BBC?

So, she is saying the Beeb have done loads of hatchet jobs in the past, but this is the Big One.

The Cult really does consist of very very deluded people.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Incorrect. You cannot compare polls from one firm with another. Latest
    Ipsos MORI 22%
    YouGov 20%
    ComRes 16%
    Opinium 15%

The top two were by some margin the most accurate at the Euros
  • Options
    eek said:

Labour 22,000
    Lib Dems 1,500
    UKIP 1,500

Depends on who the labour candidate is.
  • Options
    eek said:
    What does EL4C mean, please? I assume that it’s terribly significant.
  • Options
    matt said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

Steady on SeanT was from Tupsley!
  • Options
    eek said:
    The Labour party is anti-racist ergo there is no racism in the Labour party.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760
    ydoethur said:

matt said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

Incest? Don't be ridiculous.

None of us are actually related to the sheep, you know!
    And I am reliably informed that in Hereford hurricanes hardly ever happen.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

The latest YouGov actually has them ahead of Labour but the point is that sufficient numbers of ex-Labour members like my wife and have switched to the LibDems and won't be even contemplating going back until Corbyn/Milne et al have been shipped off.

That may or may not result in many LibDem MPs but it's going to be enough to cost Labour seats. I don't want Johnson or Corbyn on my conscience.
    Yougov is the only pollster to do that - and there is clearly a house effect operating there.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1149031603483697153

Hatchet job?

History of the BBC?

So, she is saying the Beeb have done loads of hatchet jobs in the past, but this is the Big One.

The Cult really does consist of very very deluded people.

I'm more intrigued as to how she knows that before watching it.
  • Options

It's a ratchett that already exists.

If we want to undo an EU-law how can we do so via the ballot box?
    If we want to undo a UK-law how can we do so via the ballot box?
  • Options

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

Incorrect. You cannot compare polls from one firm with another. Latest
    Ipsos MORI 22%
    YouGov 20%
    ComRes 16%
    Opinium 15%

The top two were by some margin the most accurate at the Euros
    But far from being so at the last General Election when the honours went to Survation.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    justin124 said:

I do wonder whether Prorogation would threaten the perceived legitimacy of the Government such that there might develop demands for a General Strike etc - direct action which would receive a great deal of public support.

Doubtless you'll get slated for being over-dramatic.
  • Options

matt said:

ydoethur said:

matt said:

Steady on SeanT was from Tupsley!
    He left, though.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

All voting intention polls are hypothetical based on the the presumption that there's a general election tomorrow
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

I spent decades in the Labour Party fending off the likes of Dave Nellist, Degsy and Corbyn. They have won- for the moment- but possibly forever. I don't want to vote for them now! If the LDs could pick up enough seats along with PC, SNP and Greens to defeat Boris and you don't need Labour I would be happy to vote for them, but I can't see that outcome for a generation. Which is why Labour even with a moron like Corbyn in charge need to be part of the Remainer picture, otherwise it is Boris and his brand of half-wittery that takes us out of the EU on his terms.
    I suspect (heck we know) Labour can't and won't win a majority - the loss of Scotland to the SNP makes that impossible - hence the second referendum will be traded into revoke or referendum where everyone focuses on Remain and the leave option is actually defined.
    What you can't however do is ignore the Labour remain seats - if they go to Brexit or the Tories leave could well have a majority. Labour need ambiguity to maximise what they can win and the remain parties need that to cross the 325 seat threshold.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1149015560799301634

This is on the same par as the moon landings were fake!!!

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    It may be difficult to prove in court who the leaker was but if it becomes public knowledge that it was someone prominent then it might still destroy their career.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    matt said:

eek said:
    What does EL4C mean, please? I assume that it’s terribly significant.
    Ealing Labour for Corbyn or something...?
  • Options

eek said:
    The Labour party is anti-racist ergo there is no racism in the Labour party.
    I think its more the ostrich with ears in the sand....
  • Options
    Can't wait to watch to watch this BBC hatchet job; cutting through the lies to find the horrible, hypocritical truth.
  • Options

It says quite a lot about the lack of academic rigour at RHUL that this guy has a PhD from them, even in sociology.
  • Options

It's a ratchett that already exists.

If we want to undo an EU-law how can we do so via the ballot box?
    If we want to undo a UK-law how can we do so via the ballot box?
    If we leave the EU but wish to trade with them how do we change an EU law which thanks to us being in the EU parliament was passed by 52:48%?
  • Options

It may be difficult to prove in court who the leaker was but if it becomes public knowledge that it was someone prominent then it might still destroy their career.

A greater risk therefore would appear to be someone starting a malicious rumour to damage somebody from personal spite.

But realistically, there are very few people who could have leaked this and they must all be being invest right now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    eek said:

Labour 22,000
    Lib Dems 1,500
    UKIP 1,500

You're misremembering your constituency's result, nowhere had that - even rounded to the nearest thousand.
    Darlington was 23k Lab, 19k Tory, 1k LD, 1k UKIP ?
  • Options
    What on earth did we do to deserve Owen Jones?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

justin124 said:

stodge said:

IanB2 said:

I suspect (heck we know) Labour can't and won't win a majority - the loss of Scotland to the SNP makes that impossible - hence the second referendum will be traded into revoke or referendum where everyone focuses on Remain and the leave option is actually defined.
    What you can't however do is ignore the Labour remain seats - if they go to Brexit or the Tories leave could well have a majority. Labour need ambiguity to maximise what they can win and the remain parties need that to cross the 325 seat threshold.
    Ambiguity is one of the factors killing the Labour Part along with the other 999 cuts inflicted by Corbyn.

Labour need to firmly come down on the side of a second vote, they really need to be part of the anti- Boris/Farage alliance, otherwise Boris/Farage win.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    matt said:

H

matt said:

IanB2 said:

[deleted]

Yet Leominster and North Herefordshire people vote for him. Perhaps the quality of the opposition is not all that it might be (the Leominster greens are flat earthers for example). The latter point emphasising that a Green/LD pact might look good sense if one lives in, say, London. Less so where the LDs, the Greens and their supporters are a million miles apart (see Herefordshire Council for more details).
    I was born in Leominster constituency and my impression from knowing people there is that they'd strongly prefer either Philip Dunne (Ludlow) or Jesse Norman (Hereford) as an MP. AFAIK neither of these MPs is the MD of a company based in a tax haven or has had a 'phantom mortgage'.

The Liberals almost won Leominster in the October 1974 GE but I don't think it's been a marginal for ~40 years. It's now what I'd call a 21st.C rotten borough, like Paterson's seat of N. Shropshire and I don't think it's a plausible L.Dem seat barring a huge realignment.

Temple-Morris was a good MP, i.e. good on the Tory scale. In terms of the earlier discussion today he was a classic One-Nation Tory and had no time for the Thatcherites. (I think the sentiment was fully reciprocated.)
  • Options
    That paragraph could do with a few Oxford commas....
  • Options

Can't wait to watch to watch this BBC hatchet job; cutting through the lies to find the horrible, hypocritical truth.

If the High Command are convinced vast chunks of this programme are lies, then let the sue the BBC.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2019
    ydoethur said:

It says quite a lot about the lack of academic rigour at RHUL that this guy has a PhD from them, even in sociology.
    Go read how he got it...he basically wrote a thesis about how he (I mean others he was researching) went about direct action campaigns.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

It depends on how much HMG wants to find the individual who did the deed. Not only will someone have to access the information, which leaves evidence, other technology can indicate who the person was who got the information. Mobile phone movements for instance can be cross checked. They may not have used the phone for transmission of the information but location information can be cross checked against login times. Finger prints may have been left on the documents if photocopied or other forensic evidence. If the journalist has destroyed the information now or previously then they might be liable for perverting the course of justice? I don't know how a Journalist reporting this information was in the public interest and the net could close in around the said journalist pretty quickly...
This discussion has been closed.