Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Might Trump be impeached after leaving office?

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

And yet Labour then went on to elect Ed Miliband. Funny that.

Yes because at that time there were more sensible Labour types in the party than raging anti-semites.
    Well, in a couple of weeks you will be able to make similar observations about the Conservative Party. Can't wait!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

The Aussie national anthem is so much better than ours.

But lets put aside political differences and concentrate on the biggest rivalry of all. Lets defeat the convicts.

They should have gone for Waltzing Matilda.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ZING!!

Absolutely. But you are comparing apples with chalk.

Big G, in that instance, had a vote for one of two options and chose to abnegate his responsibility to vote.

You also have a choice. You can vote for Labour, Conservative, the LibDems, Greens, SNP (if you're up there oh wait you're in Hampstead), Screaming Lord Sutch, why you can even form your own party and vote for it.

Of all those options, you are choosing to vote for the party presided over by an anti-semite and within which anti-semitism has flourished.

I would put it slightly differently and as follows -

I am choosing to vote for a party whose policies I strongly support, relative to all the others, in the certain knowledge that if I don't, and if enough people of similar mind to me don't, that given the electoral calculus there is a very strong chance indeed of getting a Boris Johnson led Tory government that I will find so intolerable that I might need to leave Hampstead and take up residence in a remote Cornish cottage with no TV and no WiFi.
    Run through electoral calculus what would happen if every non-anti-semite Labour supporter voted for the LibDems.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pulpstar said:

Have you gone native :D ?
    OK I'll admit I enjoy the Italian and.. whisper it quietly the US and French ones too... Ours on any objective level isn't great.
    Native? I'm English and live in England.

But the Aussie one is fun and uplifting. Ours just is not. Agree about the French and Italian too, and to a lesser extent the US.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ZING!!

Absolutely. But you are comparing apples with chalk.

Big G, in that instance, had a vote for one of two options and chose to abnegate his responsibility to vote.

You also have a choice. You can vote for Labour, Conservative, the LibDems, Greens, SNP (if you're up there oh wait you're in Hampstead), Screaming Lord Sutch, why you can even form your own party and vote for it.

Of all those options, you are choosing to vote for the party presided over by an anti-semite and within which anti-semitism has flourished.

I would put it slightly differently and as follows -

I am choosing to vote for a party whose policies I strongly support, relative to all the others, in the certain knowledge that if I don't, and if enough people of similar mind to me don't, that given the electoral calculus there is a very strong chance indeed of getting a Boris Johnson led Tory government that I will find so intolerable that I might need to leave Hampstead and take up residence in a remote Cornish cottage with no TV and no WiFi.
    You'll likely get that in Hampstead if you get your way politically, so why move?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Yes because at that time there were more sensible Labour types in the party than raging anti-semites.
    To be fair, even now anti-semiles are in a small minority in the Labour Party. The problem is that they are a minority in close proximity to the leadership.
    I think that is true. As I said, whether Corbyn is or is not an anti-semite (quacking, ducks, etc) he has without doubt presided over a party wherein anti-semites feel emboldened.

However much one believes of the documentary last night, it seemed, unless I misheard, that there are "hundreds" of complaints or anti-semitic cases going through that disputes group.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Pulpstar said:

OK I'll admit I enjoy the Italian and.. whisper it quietly the US and French ones too... Ours on any objective level isn't great.

But the Aussie one is fun and uplifting. Ours just is not. Agree about the French and Italian too, and to a lesser extent the US.
    Oh I thought you were in Oz !
  • Options

OllyT said:

IanB2 said:

Mr. B2, indeed.

When it comes to election time, will sane Labour types be campaigning for Corbyn to be PM?

No but for some of us, the prospect of Prime Minister Johnson is equally unpalateable.
    Me too.
    This. At an election I will be campaigning for the re-election of my superb MP. My party leader is a disgrace not fit for office. The new Tory leader to be is a disgrace not fit for office. Farage doubly so not fit for office. And yet here we are
    I would vote for my Labour MP on a personal and political level but I can't dot so without it being interpreted as an endorsement of Corbyn so I won't be doing it. I was a member until soon after Ed went and for the first time in my life I didn't vote in 2017, next time it will be LD.

Ditto. But it’s a Sophie’s Choice. Voting LD will help the Tories win my constituency and so help Boris Johnson, who is just as complicit in racism as Jeremy Corbyn.

Only if it's just you. I have to believe you speak for many Labour Party supporters.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    So what happened to the 10 am bullying and harassment in parliament report?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

But lets put aside political differences and concentrate on the biggest rivalry of all. Lets defeat the convicts.

My boomerang won't come back?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I can't hear Waltzing Matilda without thinking of the rude version though.

Finch out! And Aussie review lost. What a start!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    HYUFD said:

Mr. Pete, I strongly suspect Boris will be a terrible PM.

That doesn't change the fact he's not far right, and therefore not the atrocious equivalent of Corbyn.

If Boris wins the leadership but Labour ousts Corbyn and replaces him with someone boring but sane, it'd be interesting. But I'll believe the far left has had its grip prised from Labour when it happens.

Yes Corbyn is the personification of the SWP. However in order to achieve his ambition Johnson has jettisoned his 'one nation Tory' baggage; and please excuse the horrific vision, is now in bed with Farage and Trump.
    On domestic policy Boris is still 'One nation' on the whole, promising more money for the NHS and police and tax cuts.
    I'm not sure how "One Nation" it is to propose tax cuts for the not well off on more than twice average earnings....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

To be fair, even now anti-semiles are in a small minority in the Labour Party. The problem is that they are a minority in close proximity to the leadership.
    Have you done a poll and no one put their hands up?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

HYUFD said:

That doesn't change the fact he's not far right, and therefore not the atrocious equivalent of Corbyn.

If Boris wins the leadership but Labour ousts Corbyn and replaces him with someone boring but sane, it'd be interesting. But I'll believe the far left has had its grip prised from Labour when it happens.

Yes Corbyn is the personification of the SWP. However in order to achieve his ambition Johnson has jettisoned his 'one nation Tory' baggage; and please excuse the horrific vision, is now in bed with Farage and Trump.
    On domestic policy Boris is still 'One nation' on the whole, promising more money for the NHS and police and tax cuts.
    I'm not sure how "One Nation" it is to propose tax cuts for the not well off on more than twice average earnings....
    It is a tax cut aimed at headmasters, GPs, police inspectors, small business owners, middle managers etc, not the top 1%
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well, in a couple of weeks you will be able to make similar observations about the Conservative Party. Can't wait!
    Analagous, not similar.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Pulpstar said:

Their tunes are better, but the words might not be. The Australian anthem sounds like a primary school class wrote an advert for the tourist board. The French is about armed insurrection that would have the citoyens mowed down by les gendarmes. Ours is straightforward and sensible; shame it is sung as a dirge.

Hmm. Wasn't this an Al Murray routine?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Great start for England but Warner is the key.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,191
    Worth listening to the interview with Tom Watson on the Today programme this morning after the 8 am news. He sounded really quite depressed.

One thing stood out. Apparently the response to the EHRC has not been seen or approved by him or any other member of the NEC. That is quite extraordinary, as a matter of good governance. If that is so, the EHRC should be seeking confirmation that the response sent in by an organisation has been seen and explicitly approved by all the members of that organization’s governing bodies. If it hasn’t then they simply should not accept it until it has.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Pulpstar said:

Given the Queen is also Queen of Australia as well as Queen of England and officially neutral today and the national anthem is just the royal anthem, England should have Jerusalem when playing Australia and Australia can play advance Australia Fair and play the national anthem too for the Head of State
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It is a tax cut aimed at headmasters, GPs, police inspectors, small business owners, middle managers etc, not the top 1%
    A tax cut aimed squarely at Conservative MPs whose votes Boris needed.
    New threshold: £80,000. MP's pay: £79,468.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Their tunes are better, but the words might not be. The Australian anthem sounds like a primary school class wrote an advert for the tourist board. The French is about armed insurrection that would have the citoyens mowed down by les gendarmes. Ours is straightforward and sensible; shame it is sung as a dirge.

Straightforward and simple? I appreciate my republicanism is unusual but singing about someone being "long to reign over us" is perhaps straightforward and simple but its also depressing and subservient.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tlg86 said:

Tie My Kangaroo Down Sport would be suitably dignified.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    DavidL said:

I think run rate is the key as well with the new ball. I just don't see England chasing 330.
  • Options
    Gone!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The Italian is the only anthem with the same words set to two different tunes.

But which two European anthems have no words?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I hope you're right! ;)
  • Options

DavidL said:

I hope you're right! ;)
    Amazing start. I was at the group game and England were simply outclassed. Hopefully today will be different.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Luxembourg and Germany?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:
    "Are you thinking what we're thinking?"

(We don't like Gypos and Boris is a bloody fibber?)

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022

tlg86 said:

Tie My Kangaroo Down Sport would be suitably dignified.
    Somewhat tainted now by worrying over just why Rolf wanted to tie his kangaroo down.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Straightforward and simple? I appreciate my republicanism is unusual but singing about someone being "long to reign over us" is perhaps straightforward and simple but its also depressing and subservient.
    Thought I remembered it. Al Murray on national anthems.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc47Wcso3hU
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. B2, Liechtenstein is one. Spain?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I hope you're right! ;)
    Amazing start. I was at the group game and England were simply outclassed. Hopefully today will be different.
    I believe cautious optimism is allowed.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Top 10%

For the few not the many
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Pulpstar said:

I live where there are to versions of the words so there are no longer any official words, actually stood between two people both sing different versions one evening.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,617
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why do these people need a tax cut? I put myself and my wife in these categories and I fail to see why we should get a tax cut. Also is this not just about where the top 1% income starts
  • Options

From memory was Liechtenstein not also one of the two nations whose national flags were the same which they only realised when they competed against each other at the Berlin Olympics in 36?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

I live where there are to versions of the words so there are no longer any official words, actually stood between two people both sing different versions one evening.
    The US anthem, though unsingable by ordinary mortals, is tremendous (and slightly ridiculous, which is a bonus).

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

From memory was Liechtenstein not also one of the two nations whose national flags were the same which they only realised when they competed against each other at the Berlin Olympics in 36?
    Spain two sets of words (unofficial) no words official same tune
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Why do these people need a tax cut? I put myself and my wife in these categories and I fail to see why we should get a tax cut. Also is this not just about where the top 1% income starts
    Tax cuts are always nice but this is absolutely the wrong priority. Austerity was absolutely necessary in the face of the deficit but surely everyone can see that it has left a legacy of starved public services struggling to provide anything like the quality of service that we want. Social care, student debt, school education, public housing, policing, there is an almost intolerable pressure for more cash. And there is the small matter of debt reduction as well.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

In the first world war, tommies were puzzled by hearing the old German anthem, Heil dir im Siegerkranz, across no man's land.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's wonderful that we have @TheJezziah here so that we can all see how serious the problem in the Labour Party has become. Most of us wouldn't have any contact with such people otherwise.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    Michael Howard hasn’t been the same since he suggested declaring war on Spain.

Something of the shite, indeed.
    Michael Howard was a very effective Leader of the Opposition though and gained over 30 Labour seats in 2005, and gave Cameron a platform to build in in 2010.

His Today interview suggested he was now backing Boris
    Does that make him complicit in racism or is he just supporting the rosette?
    I think you are asking the wrong party leadership this morning, especially given Howard's religious background
    Double standards for Tories? Who'd have thunk it?
    Same old same old for Labour

https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-criticised-for-anti-semitic-howard-poster-488998.html
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Luxembourg and Germany?
    They both have words, although the German one a lot fewer than upon a time
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

The US anthem, though unsingable by ordinary mortals, is tremendous (and slightly ridiculous, which is a bonus).

The US anthem is indeed very difficult to sing well and is frequently massacred by pop stars at sporting events particularly boxing and the superbowl.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, that's entirely possible.

I think Liechtenstein has no words because I have vague memories of Scottish football fans booing the visiting team's anthem because the tune was the same as God Save the Queen (but with no lyrics, I think).
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As has been pointed out, the top 10% (or less)

Boris Johnson has promised to cut taxes for around 3 million higher earners by raising the 40p threshold from £50,000 to £80,000 if he becomes prime minister......

The pledge to cut tax for higher earners casts doubt on his efforts to present himself as a One Nation Tory, as he courts centrist and moderate Conservatives for his leadership bid.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/boris-johnson-promise-tax-cut-raise-40p-threshold

I suspect he actually thinks people on £50,000-£80,000 "aren't well off". By his standards, they're not.....by almost everybody elses'.....
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Such an incisive comment you felt compelled to repost it. Much appreciated.

Hope all is well on the health front btw.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

The US anthem is indeed very difficult to sing well and is frequently massacred by pop stars at sporting events particularly boxing and the superbowl.
    I can't take the American anthem seriously after someone pointed out the break for We Wish You a Merry Christmas.
  • Options

Liechtenstein isn't one - it needs words because the tune is the same as ours!

Spain is one, kudos Mr Dancer
  • Options

Mr. Thompson, that's entirely possible.

I think Liechtenstein has no words because I have vague memories of Scottish football fans booing the visiting team's anthem because the tune was the same as God Save the Queen (but with no lyrics, I think).

Just Googled it and yes it was Liechtenstein, their flag was identical to the flag of Haiti. They changed their flag aftewrads as a result.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson has promised to cut taxes for around 3 million higher earners by raising the 40p threshold from £50,000 to £80,000 if he becomes prime minister......

The pledge to cut tax for higher earners casts doubt on his efforts to present himself as a One Nation Tory, as he courts centrist and moderate Conservatives for his leadership bid.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/10/boris-johnson-promise-tax-cut-raise-40p-threshold

I suspect he actually thinks people on £50,000-£80,000 "aren't well off". By his standards, they're not.....by almost everybody elses'.....
    If Boris was targeting a tax cut at the rich he would have cut the top income tax rate on those earning over £150, 000 a year back to 40%.

Boris' tax cut is aimed at upper middle earners being drawn into the 40p threshold, not the rich 1%
  • Options
    WOW!!
  • Options
  • Options

WOW!!

Do not become over optimistic.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tax cuts are always nice but this is absolutely the wrong priority. Austerity was absolutely necessary in the face of the deficit but surely everyone can see that it has left a legacy of starved public services struggling to provide anything like the quality of service that we want. Social care, student debt, school education, public housing, policing, there is an almost intolerable pressure for more cash. And there is the small matter of debt reduction as well.
    Absolutely agree. I find it impossible to argue from my comfortable large Surrey home, and second home by the seaside that I need more money and it certainly wouldn't even motivate me (although I am now retired) or my wife to actually earn more. It would just be a freebie whereas it could be used better elsewhere. Completely wrong priority aimed at the greedy not the needy.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

WOW!!

Where's Francis Urqhart to tell us it's all rubbish and they hate cricket and it's awful?
  • Options
    Mr. B2, ha, got the one I was confident of wrong and the one I was unsure of right.

Speaking of which, been toying with backing Verstappen to win at about 11 but I'm going to wait because I think his likely starting slot will put him a bit further back on the grid, lengthening the odds (anything other than front row will probably do that), and to see just how his pace and the temperature stacks up.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sometimes it’s done well.

https://youtu.be/N_lCmBvYMRs
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris is also promising more police, more money for the NHS etc.

Boris believes in the laffer curve and tax cuts can increase revenues, under Boris there will be an easing off of austerity and tax cuts, Boris is a Keynesian in many respects
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

The tune was a British drinking song; the words obviously new !
  • Options
    A good toss to lose!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,191

It's wonderful that we have @TheJezziah here so that we can all see how serious the problem in the Labour Party has become. Most of us wouldn't have any contact with such people otherwise.

Well, indeed. The current Labour party is a bit like the flypaper you hang up to catch all the nasty creepy crawlies and flying insects that would otherwise infest your home. They’re all attracted to its stench and you can then cheerfully throw it in the bin. Labour are now the party of choice for left-wing racists and anti-semites. The Tories meanwhile are turning themselves into the party of choice for right-wing racists, anti-semites, anti-Muslim bigots and nutters.

They are both performing a useful function in making it clear which parties decent sane people should avoid.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

nichomar said:

Pulpstar said:

I favour an octave jump in falsetto on ‘land of the free’ for dramatic effect.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, is Boris advocating running a surplus?

That's what Keynes advocated during periods of growth, with deficit spending during recession.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Top 10%

For the few not the many
    Boris has also said he will take more of the lowest earners out of tax too
  • Options

WOW!!

One of the great things about ODIs, unlike T20, is that there is time for the pendulum to swing and teams to recover from a set back. But this is a great start.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Mr. Pete, Boris is undoubtedly an egotistical, opportunistic creature of ambition and incompetence.
    And yet, Corbyn remains an order of magnitude worse. Boris is self-absorbed. The far left is dangerous. Better a jester than a communist.

It doesn`t make much difference really, if you are dying of starvation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If Boris was targeting a tax cut at the rich he would have cut the top income tax rate on those earning over £150, 000 a year back to 40%.

Boris' tax cut is aimed at upper middle earners being drawn into the 40p threshold, not the rich 1%
    Is he lowering the 45% threshold to stop the very rich benefitting, then?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

One of the great things about PB is that we have people of all faiths here.
  • Options

That's what Keynes advocated during periods of growth, with deficit spending during recession.

If we go to hard Brexit we will need tax cuts and spending rises to a avert a recession and ensure Brexit is a success.

Boris is not that bothered about deficits or a surplus, his economics is more Berlusconi, tax cuts and spending for all
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris believes in the laffer curve and tax cuts can increase revenues, under Boris there will be an easing off of austerity and tax cuts, Boris is a Keynesian in many respects
    I believe in the laffer curve as well but at what point do you stop? It is a balance and we have had big cuts. And I don't think you will find it will apply to headmasters, police inspectors, GPs. They are not revenue generators.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

WOW!!

One of the great things about ODIs, unlike T20, is that there is time for the pendulum to swing and teams to recover from a set back. But this is a great start.
    Well indeed, I was convinced for instance that New Zealand had blown their Semi Final . . . until the start of the Indian innings.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,192

:+1:

Everybody I know, except one friend of my wife's, hates Corbyn with a passion. So good to hear the other side.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Absolutely agree. I find it impossible to argue from my comfortable large Surrey home, and second home by the seaside that I need more money and it certainly wouldn't even motivate me (although I am now retired) or my wife to actually earn more. It would just be a freebie whereas it could be used better elsewhere. Completely wrong priority aimed at the greedy not the needy.
    I am sure headmasters, police inspectors and small businessmen dragged into the 40% rate will be delighted you called them 'the greedy and not the needy'
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rigid adherence to Lafferian (is that a word?) tax cuts can be as foolish as any other fixed ideology.

https://twitter.com/BruceBartlett/status/1148964966051078144

• Options

Mr. B2, ha, got the one I was confident of wrong and the one I was unsure of right.

Speaking of which, been toying with backing Verstappen to win at about 11 but I'm going to wait because I think his likely starting slot will put him a bit further back on the grid, lengthening the odds (anything other than front row will probably do that), and to see just how his pace and the temperature stacks up.

Of recognised UN independent states, the other is Bosnia. They keep writing words for it but no-one has come up with a version the parliament can agree.

San Marino and Kosovo anthems also have no words.

So which anthem mentions the king of another country? Or certainly mentions the country, I can't recall.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If we go to hard Brexit we will need tax cuts and spending rises to a avert a recession and ensure Brexit is a success.

Boris is not that bothered about deficits or a surplus, his economics is more Berlusconi, tax cuts and spending for all
    We may well be already in the beginnings of a technical recession says Sunday Times economics editor last weekend.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    HYUFD said:

How is the Italian economy doing since Berlusconi came to power?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

WOW!!

Do not become over optimistic.
    I grew up as an English expat "Pommie Bastard" in Australia, supporting England in the Ashes in the 1990s. I'll never take anything for granted against the Convicts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Top 10%

For the few not the many
    Boris has also said he will take more of the lowest earners out of tax too
    Is he giving everyone a £12k tax cut or just those on £80k and above

ie the few not the many
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, his fiscal policy is Borisian: spend whatever he thinks will make him popular.

As Francis Urquhart taught us, wanting to be liked is an admirable quality. In a spaniel. Or a whore.

Mr. B2, ah. And the Netherlands?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rigid adherence to Lafferian (is that a word?) tax cuts can be as foolish as any other fixed ideology.

Tell that to Greece where tax rises and deep spending cuts led to 20% unemployment and destroyed the economy
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I believe in the laffer curve as well but at what point do you stop? It is a balance and we have had big cuts. And I don't think you will find it will apply to headmasters, police inspectors, GPs. They are not revenue generators.
    Middle managers and small businessmen are
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Those of us who have stuck with Boris (betting wise) for many months will shortly be collecting our winnings by looks of things. He was always going to win if he got anywhere near the membership and I always reckoned that when it came down to it the MPs would not risk denying the membership their man.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1149254696319799296
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Then he should understand the multiplier effect of public spending compared to tax cuts which might well be saved taking demand out of the economy. We need to keep public spending within sustainable limits but we are nowhere near those limits at the moment despite the high level of debt.
  • Options

Well put.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    DavidL said:

WOW!!

The Aussies won a world cup semi final where they were 15/4

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039/scorecard/65191/australia-vs-west-indies-2nd-sf-wills-world-cup-1995-96
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is he lowering the 45% threshold to stop the very rich benefitting, then?
    No, arguably Boris is not helping the rich enough. To do that he should cut the 45% top income tax rate for those earning over £150 000 back to 40% but that is not his priority
  • Options

And, increasingly, of none.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tell that to Greece where tax rises and deep spending cuts led to 20% unemployment and destroyed the economy
    I thought the Greek problem was non payment of taxes?
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, his fiscal policy is Borisian: spend whatever he thinks will make him popular.

As Francis Urquhart taught us, wanting to be liked is an admirable quality. In a spaniel. Or a whore.

Mr. B2, ah. And the Netherlands?

Borisian is similar to Berlusconian
  • Options

Those of us who have stuck with Boris (betting wise) for many months will shortly be collecting our winnings by looks of things. He was always going to win if he got anywhere near the membership and I always reckoned that when it came down to it the MPs would not risk denying the membership their man.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1149254696319799296

Yeah, I am going to make a small loss, contained thanks to sterling efforts from JRM, Andrea and Rory
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am sure headmasters, police inspectors and small businessmen dragged into the 40% rate will be delighted you called them 'the greedy and not the needy'
    First of all I said no such thing. As usual you fail to see the point being made and go off on a tangent as you always do.

Any person earning £80K does not need a tax cut. Any person earning £80K who thinks they do need one in priority to people who are really poor are greedy. That is very different, but I suspect that logic goes way over your head.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There are circumstances where rises work and those where cuts do.
    The likelihood of Boris having any ability to distinguish between them approximates zero.
This discussion has been closed.